Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

About 4 or 5 of the best QBs on the planet right now are sub 6'2"

Of the last 64 QBs taken under 6' 1" 3 have been franchise QBs.

Of the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller how many have become franchise QB's

I don't have time to list them all GM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

How many of those 64 won a Heisman ? How many had a similar or better TD to INT ratio ? How many of those were walk-ons who overcame obstacles their whole collegiate career?

Nothing is known until this QB class start playing - but Mayfield is special. Hope Dorsey is right.

He’s a shorter Jason White.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_White_(American_football)

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

As I said before, I’ve fine with whoever as long as it wasn’t Allen.

A lot of you guys are upset at the mayfield pick, but name another QB in the draft that had the results of mayfield?

If y’all only complaints about the dude is his height and one stint with the cops....then you aren’t really complaining about much. Sorry.

Cause I’m not hearing any questions about his accuracy. His leadership. His results. His throwing motion. His movement in and out of the pocket.

He threw more TDs than the other guys. He threw LESS interceptions than the other guys.

He was asked to play in a scheme in which he absolutely dominated that scheme.

And now, again as I’ve said over and over again, he gets to sit being Tyrod a guy who doesn’t turn he ball over, knows how to move in the pocket, and is smart with taking off only when need be and protecting himself from injury.

So now, we get to have Tyrod Taylor show Baker the ropes, develop our guys this season, and let mayfield take over in 2019 in an offense where there will be CONSISTENCY because we don’t have to change the offense when he takes over!

I woke up absolutely pumped. And Baker has weapons, so it’s not like he has a bunch of bums he’s throwing to? And the draft isn’t even over.

Swish, Baker compleated 70% of his passes in the big 12. Did you see his highlights? Not a defensive player within 10 yards, no pass rush. Weeden was a great QB in the big 12.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Now that he's been drafted... and I'm probably in the minority on this, but I betting on him to start game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

Hes not going to be given the chance dude ... were giving TT all the reps cause they want to win some games ... and by them i mean the thief ... were 0 - 16 .... 1 - 15 .... 3 - 13 over the last 3 years ... thats 4 - 44 ...

We gave up the #65 pick in the draft for a reason and it wasn’t to be in a competition with a rookie ... it was to be the starter from Day 1 and get ALL THE FIRST TEAM REPS a starter would ....

IF it was an actual competion .... if Mayfield is who u think he is and hes as smart and as hard a worker as they say he is .... he could possibly beat TT out .... TT is “beatable” in that sense ...

But their will be NO COMP ...

Legend
Legend
Bro he has no control over the scheme he played in. But he DOMINATED that scheme.

The only other guy that did that was Lamar Jackson.

I know this is about projecting success in the nfl, and spread QBs are difficult to evaluate, but we saw mayfield do this against some top notch teams not in the big 12.

Lets not act like he didn’t hang 38 on Georgia in the biggest game of his life.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Now that he's been drafted... and I'm probably in the minority on this, but I betting on him to start game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

Hes not going to be given the chance dude ... were giving TT all the reps cause they want to win some games ... and by them i mean the thief ... were 0 - 16 .... 1 - 15 .... 3 - 13 over the last 3 years ... thats 4 - 44 ...

We gave up the #65 pick in the draft for a reason and it wasn’t to be in a competition with a rookie ... it was to be the starter from Day 1 and get ALL THE FIRST TEAM REPS a starter would ....

IF it was an actual competion .... if Mayfield is who u think he is and hes as smart and as hard a worker as they say he is .... he could possibly beat TT out .... TT is “beatable” in that sense ...

But their will be NO COMP ...
The second we signed TT I told my brother we were drafting Mayfield. Too many similarities to me. TT is the perfect QB for Mayfield to sit behind for a year.

I let the media skew me since then, and I turned to Darnold - but I am perfectly ok with Mayfield.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I thought i dreamed the Browns took Mayfield, thought it was just a bad dream...got up the morning checked the news, nope...they really took this bum...lol

Oh here is what the Fayetteville Police had to say about Baker:

“By the way, he’s the quarterback for OU.”

He is... Is he really?”

“That’s what his girlfriend said.”

“He’s not very fast.”

LOL!!!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou...009d40d91a.html

this kid is actually a less athletically talented Manziel...this kid is going to get killed in this division...that is if he don't end up getting arrested first.

Getting Arrested, Grabbing his Crotch, putting a flag on the OSU field, drunken disorderly conduct, resisting arrest...yup...totally a guy the Browns take.

this is really unbelievable...stop peeing on my head and telling me its raining...this has been one of the worst drafts ever for the Browns...they reached with both of their 1st picks big time...instead of taking BPA, which is what you do when you suck as bad as we have due to lack of talent, they reach...its just comical at this point...this may actually be a worse draft then Farmer...how the hell is that even possible!? LOL

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 04/27/18 08:16 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: edromeo
You're right. People love to speak in quick soundbite generalizations these days....who has time for distinctions.

Baker comes from a spread-read option offense and will face a big transition to an NFL offense.

But Baker brings remarkable production, accuracy and efficiency. He can also escape/create in the face of pressure.

I think Baker will put in the work to make the transition.

I agree with everything u just said ...

Including the last line of Baker putting in the work ... i don’t think work ethic or brains or accuracy will be the issue .... question is does he have the talent to make that big transition U also spoke of ....

I wanted Sam ... i’m dissapointed but think Baker has a chance ... lets see if he can make the transition ...

What do u think of the Skins draft so far?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Of the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller how many have become franchise QB's

I don't have time to list them all GM.

I think the point is.. and I'm not sure how far back somebody had to go to count 64 QBs 6'1" or under.. but 3 would be just under 5% of all 64 became franchise QBs... so of the QBs 6'2" or over, have 5% become franchise QBs? Not just talking about the ones in the first round, talking about ALL QBs 6'2" or over.. I'm just guessing but I'm betting there are 10-12 of them taken every year.. is one every other year a legit franchise QB?

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
This may appal U but U and I can walk arm and arm in solidarity on this one ... wink ...

Baker wasn’t my first choice and he has his question marks like they ALL DID ... as u pointed out his question marks dont revolve around anythng he could control ... hes smart, accurate, a leader, a hard worker and a proven winner ... in my book that gives him more than a fighting chance ...

His question marks .... height ... he can’t control that and all we can do is hope he’s Drew Brees ... im sure no one regrets not taking him at #1 over Vick that year cause they deemed Brees to short ... rolleyes ...

As u astutely pointed out he can’t control the O he played in or the D’s he played against or the fact others before him have put up gaudy numbers and STUNK ... just cause they failed doesnt mean he will ... but it sure as all hell raises a LEGITE QUESTION he has NO CONTROL over ....

The only one he can control is his MATURTY ... hes brought that on himself ... hopefully he MATURES and makes better decisions than he has in the past ... he needs to reign in the crotch grabbing and throwing the ball at the opponents head during pre-games type crap ...

I hope u dont get coodies bro .... thumbsup

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
this kid is actually a less athletically talented Manziel
the fact you think that means anything - proves you know nothing. P. Manning and Tom Brady are less athletically talented than Manizel as well, who would you take?

That means nothing to being an NFL Qb. Baker is a passer, not a runner.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
First, I never come to a forum on Draft night. I'm not a fan of the knee-jerk reactions. I refuse to read them even now because I'm sure someone had already secured the noose and is ready to kick the chair out. No need to see the negativity so early in the morning.

Second, I was kinda shocked at the Mayfield pick. With the draft you never know truly what's going to happen until it happens. Could it be smoke or is it truly fire? When I watched it, it was surreal. But in no way disappointing.

Third, I'm only a third year fan but I'm in the "I love this pick" camp. I truly do. I wasn't here for the Manziel stuff but I know about it. That was a different regime, a different time. If you told me that Manziel was picked in 2010, I'd have said "sure". I don't know that time for the Browns, as a fan. It was bold and it was somewhat outside the box.

No one knows what's going to happen, but what I do believe is that Mayfield will be a difference maker. He's got a hunger to be good that is apparent from the moment you hear him speak. You cannot deny that. He has had nothing given to him and he's excelled. How can you not be inspired by that? How can you not root for that, on your team or not?

One thing that stands out to me from all the things I've heard during this draft process is that EVERYONE who brought Mayfield in for a visit absolutely loved him. Despite everything, they were impressed with all his attributes. Now that's saying something.

The draft is a time for hope for 31 teams across the league (I discount the SB champs) and here's to hoping that Baker Mayfield does for the Browns that he's done for every single team he's ever played for...make them winners.

Go Browns!

Legend
Legend
no i agree.

the biggest question mark with him will always be the spread system he's coming out of.

if height was a problem, it would've manifested itself in college. guys like him, wilson, and brees, already was use to being short and playing at a high level.

people act like the o and d lineman he was playing with/against weren't already 6'3 and taller, and that they just magically grew two inches going into the nfl. doesnt work like that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
6'0" worked for some...

Steve Young's Height
6ft 0 (182.9 cm)

American, former football player, who was Quarterback for The Los Angeles Express, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers. He once said of his height: "I’m not 6-foot-2, I’m 6-foot", and also in BYU "I'm only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because “6-foot” and “quarterback” don't go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6".

Link

We just need to get Baker on Steve's shoe contract.

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I wanted Darnold but I'm not upset about Mayfield. I believe he can play. He has a good attitude, a strong enough arm, very good accuracy, brains and is a leader. Let's give him a chance. Oh, and I'm sure he has gotten used to playing football at his current height. I wanted Chubb but we got the best CB in the draft which was a need. John Dorsey is a good GM. Give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Mayfield was not my first choice. I wanted Darnold and Chubb. With that said I am hoping Dorsey, Wolfe and Hightower know more than all those people who are not happy with our 1st round picks. I think they are. As always I am very optimistic and have always liked Baker's leadership, accuracy and enthusiasum. Time will tell.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
the biggest question mark with him will always be the spread system he's coming out of.

That's the biggest on-field question mark.

The biggest question mark, in my book, is his non-playing stuff like planting the flag at OSU, grabbing his crotch, etc... you can get away with that stuff in college, you can even get away with a little of it in the NFL if you are winning and playing at a very high level. I like the brashness but it wears thin on the rest of the team if you aren't performing well and it wears thin on the fans if the team isn't winning.. So all I'm saying is that I hope he keeps that type of distraction-making stuff under control..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't care about the flag planting, the crotch grabbing, the police incident, or the Johnny Manziel comparisons. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0, the flag planting and crotch grabbing is just passion, and the police incident is a maturity issue and a mistake he can overcome. What worries me is his height and his speed. Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed. If he's hurt he can't play, if he can't play he is useless, if he's useless, it's a bad pick. So now that he's here I'll wait and see but I'm not happy about the pick and I don't hold out much hope that he'll have much success. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. We'll see.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
no i agree.

if height was a problem, it would've manifested itself in college. guys like him, wilson, and brees, already was use to being short and playing at a high level.

people act like the o and d lineman he was playing with/against weren't already 6'3 and taller, and that they just magically grew two inches going into the nfl. doesnt work like that.
Pretty sure they had a guy 6foot8 on his line.

Troy Aikman said he loved the pick, and Mayfield was hands down the best in the draft. Cheers from a HOF.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I don't care about the flag planting, the crotch grabbing, the police incident, or the Johnny Manziel comparisons. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0, the flag planting and crotch grabbing is just passion, and the police incident is a maturity issue and a mistake he can overcome. What worries me is his height and his speed. Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed. If he's hurt he can't play, if he can't play he is useless, if he's useless, it's a bad pick. So now that he's here I'll wait and see but I'm not happy about the pick and I don't hold out much hope that he'll have much success. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. We'll see.
Does speed effect Manning (either of them), brady, brees, or any other qb that doesn't have it?

hes fast ENOUGH. If I am not mistaken, he ran a better 40 than Kizer.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: dawg66
alot better then Mayfield. Mayfield's biggest problem is that he crumbles in the face of a pass rush.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...-1-overall-pick

I would love love love to see this comparison to Darnold. That kid can't handle pressure, glad we skipped drafting him.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
My big thing was mentioned by somebody on TV last night (can't remember who) .. but he's not THAT athletic. He's not going to be able to play like he did at OU. Also, it's not like he has a cannon arm. To me, the pocket, players around him, etc. must be ideal

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Troy Aikman said he loved the pick, and Mayfield was hands down the best in the draft. Cheers from a HOF.

Aikman also said this:

Quote:
Troy Aikman (No. 1 overall, 1989) doubts a franchise quarterback is present in this draft, but he adds, “If I was Cleveland, Sam Darnold should be the guy at No. 1.”

Link

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The flag planting, he had just won a big game against a team that beat them in their house the season before. He was hyped up. Big deal.

The crotch grab. I took particular offense to that one. Being from Oklahoma, it put a bad face on our state. That was an absolute moron move knowing you're on national tv.

Moving into adult life from college life, he needs to get those emotions in check and start thinking before he acts impulsively.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're comparing him to Kizer? How many of the QBs you named play in this division?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
In the end, we all want the Browns to win, so if this loser can lead us to victory, I won't complain much

Why bring Hue into this? smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not upset, I'm not jumping for joy. I am fine with Mayfield.

Rosen was my guy until I heard his presser.....Championships? Who the hell does that kid think he is? Completely out of line and I normally love confidence.

Legend
Legend
I agree on the flag planting (this is a nothing - I actually love the energy behind it; he slayed Goliath that day), the crotch grabbing (a veteran or ten will tell him to stow that crap and grow up), the police incident (it is one incident, not a pattern of incidents), or the Johnny comparisons (because they are borne merely of the previously listed things)..... even his height doesn't really bother me. It is proven time and again that guys can play that position in the NFL and at a high level while still being "short".

The spread offense thing, though, that bothers me.
The ONLY thing that is keeping me from hating this pick are the reports of him being very intelligent, football smart, and having a photographic memory to go with his accuracy. With those attributes and a solid work ethic, he should easily be able to adapt to an NFL offense, but there is going to be a hefty learning curve, no doubt. IF he makes that adaptation, however, this kid could be Drew Brees, but in Cleveland.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
My big thing was mentioned by somebody on TV last night (can't remember who) .. but he's not THAT athletic. He's not going to be able to play like he did at OU. Also, it's not like he has a cannon arm. To me, the pocket, players around him, etc. must be ideal
He was one of the top player under pressure, why does the pocket have to be ideal?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
"Manziel 2.0" is the the most annoying, unoriginal, canned, lazy, inaccurate, and actually quite unfairly insulting moniker out there right now.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
You're comparing him to Kizer? How many of the QBs you named play in this division?
Ok, Flacco is slow, ben is slow, Dalton is not fast either. lol

Legend
Legend
He was one of the top player under pressure, why does the pocket have to be ideal?

Not if you saw the Georgia game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like nothing more. And I do have to say I love his accuracy. If he can get rid of the ball quickly and hit the target, he may be okay. But defenses are going to come at him hard, and I don't think he has the escapability to avoid a defensive end or linebacker who runs a 4.5 or 4.6 40. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I expect to see him on his back a lot.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Joe Flacco 4.84
Ben 4.75
Andy 4.82
Mayfield4.81

(kind weird ben had the fastest time out that bunch)

anywho.... anything else?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Not if you saw the Georgia game
No, has brady had bad games? Body of work is more important that one game bro.

You made up a completely false statement, and now you are trying to save face. GTFOH

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I get you you like him. But none of the guys you mentioned are short for a QB. Comparisons are generally nonsense. The Breeze, Wilson, Manziel comparisons, all nonsense. I'm talking about this guy on our team in this division. I think it's a stupid pick. If you don't agree that's fine, but I doubt you'll change my mind. Truth is, I hope he lights it up because I'm a Browns fan and I have no other option at quarterback after this year so we're stuck until he succeeds or fails

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I get you you like him. But none of the guys you mentioned are short for a QB. Comparisons are generally nonsense. The Breeze, Wilson, Manziel comparisons, all nonsense. I'm talking about this guy on our team in this division. I think it's a stupid pick. If you don't agree that's fine, but I doubt you'll change my mind. Truth is, I hope he lights it up because I'm a Browns fan and I have no other option at quarterback after this year so we're stuck until he succeeds or fails
Im actually a Darnold guy, but the excuses you guys are coming up with are just insane and idiotic.

"he be on his back alow cause he cant outrun a 4.5 guy"

Most the top Qbs in the NFL cant outrun a 4.5 guy, so that statement is just false.

Rivers, manning, ben, brady, rogers, none of them can out run a 4.5 guy.

Rogers in a staggering and towering 1 inch taller than Baker, whew!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Actually, I hope you guys keep whinning and crying like you are. Baker is the type of kid that loves that. He loves to prove people wrong, and has done it his whole life on the field.

literally have heard the most insane comments on this thread :

"hes not good under pressure" - except he was the best QB in the college basically under pressure

"hes too slow" except most pocket qbs are slower, and he is no slower than any of the QBs in our division.

"hes not tall enough" - probably the only thing that I can give you, however he hasn't been tall enough his whole life, and it hasn't stopped him yet. His Oline in college if im not mistaken was just as tall as ours, if not taller. I believe one guy was 6foot8.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
How tall was Brian Sipe?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

If Mayfield beats out Tyrod, that Jets vs Browns prime time game got interesting.

Potentially, Mayfield vs Darnold.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard