DawgTalkers.net
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/baker-mayfield?id=32462018-0002-5600-63bc-195cdc34bdb5

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Mayfield
Disappointed.
Terrible pick. Worse pick they could have made.
I think that we just showed that we are never going to get any better, because we keep making stupid mistakes.
\
Well, my night's blown now.
Unreal.

I just....

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu g fffffffffff
LOL.. Eo's QB we know what that means
cfrs you were right about the last minute Baker mayfield buzz
Pittsburg fans have to be loving this.
Dumb Dumb Dumb.
I loved the Browns draft party ... with 3 people cheering, and the rest standing there in shock.
Go Browns!
awful
I've said since the beginning of the off-season that I think all of these guys will be good (besides Allen). I wanted Rosen, but was fine with the other three.
I like it. No complaints here. Would have rather had Rosen. But Mayfield is right behind
Like Garcia. Does that mean he hooks up with an insane, violent Playboy playmate?!
Barkley.
I was for anyone not named Allen...

Welcome to Cleveland Baker!
ugh...

I'm still going to cheer for him, though.
This is lining up perfectly for a trade down.
every qb Eotab liked never panned out
Weeded etc.
no different here
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Pittsburg fans have to be loving this.

nanner
I wish I still drank. banghead
Fire the idiots who chose him. We could have drafted him in the third round. UNREAL!
I dissapprove of this pick... he's the LEAST of all the qbs I wanted. Ugh...
Mayfield #1 how dumb can a team be...
Sad, I thought Baker would fall to buffalo at #12...I don't know how you could choose him over Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley
Not my top choice, but who cares. He has as much chance as anyone at being good. All of the QBs have holes, so let's see where it goes.
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Mayfield #1 how dumb can a team be...

Fire John Dorsey now. He had the opportunity to turn this train wreck of a franchise around. He screwed it up. Screwed it up bad!
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Sad, I thought Baker would fall to buffalo at #12...I don't know how you could choose him over Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley

Easy. Watch the tape
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is lining up perfectly for a trade down.

Yes it is.
Fire Dorsey NOW! What a stupid pick. We could have had him in the second round. UNREAL!
Originally Posted By: RememberMuni
Fire Dorsey NOW! What a stupid pick. We could have had him in the second round. UNREAL!

No. No we couldn't have.
Ill take him, hes a kid that has overcome his entire life, hes a winner and a worker. plain and simple. he is a brown. dont like it, get a new team. Lets go!
Mayfield has one downfall, and that is height. It is a consensus among most that if he was 6'2", he goes number one with all of them. The kid is a good player. Darnold, for me, is a risk. Turnovers kill, we as Browns fans Know that all too well. If he fixes it, he be alright, if he don't look out.

Mayfield does not turn the ball over much.
I don’t understand why people hate this dude that much

42td 6 ints and 4600 yards last year and people mad because we didn’t get the guy with 26 tds and 22 turnovers and less yards
Love it!!!

We finally get it right!
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Love it!!!

We finally get it right!

Congrats!
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That picture makes me really sick.
Love it!!!

We finally get it right!

I hope you're right.
Great pick.

What's up, some of you aren't loving our "football guy".

What gives?
Love it!!!

We finally get it right!

Happy for ya!
I HOPE!!! He proove's us wrong.
Truth be told... I'm already over this. He's on our team now. I even supported JM when we drafted him, although that pick it took much longer to get over it.

Come on Baker, we need you to play good soooooooooooooooooo, so bad.
Knew the Browns were going to be moronic once they hired Dorsey.
He BETTER prove us wrong.
I just feel numb.
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

I am not sure the FO could have screwed up 2 picks in the top 4 any worse than they did tonight.
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

I am not sure the FO could have screwed up 2 picks in the top 4 any worse than they did tonight.

That's your opinion Denzel Ward is the BEST CB in this draft by far ...
Love the pick or not, he's a Browns player now and I hope his success in college translates to the pros.

I just pray Hue doesn't do him like he did Kizer.
I'm excited. Baker Mayfield. I'm even more excited that it's not Josh Allen

No interview? Cleveland is totally irrelevant.
This is the worst pick ever. Been a browns fan since i was 10. I'm speechless. I wanted Saquon and Chubb or Darnold and Chubb. We will see how this works out.

Did these guy play games yet? I must've missed it.

(I say this every year.)
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Great pick.

What gives?

Gee, perhaps it's because we now have the shortest and smallest QB in our division and one of the smallest in the league. SO happy about that. If only he were 5 foot tall it would be even better.

He BETTER be the next GREAT quarterback or EVERYONE is FIRED!

He better never get hurt and he better light up the league. Because our new GM just HAD to outsmart everyone else. HAD to pass on a much more sure thing. So he bet on Mayfield. He bet his CAREER on Mayfield.
If he isn't a GREAT quarterback then Dorsey should never work in the NFL again. Then we pass on Chubb for a corner? We just BLEW this draft.
Basically the Browns chose two players not in the top 5 of the draft. Essentially the top of the draft happened AROUND the Browns. The other teams got a winning lottery ticket handed to them. Only the the Browns could Brown this this badly.
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Couldn't this have been said if they took any of the QBs?
this was a terrible half hour of my life
Love it. Best QB in the draft.
Basically the Browns chose two players not in the top 5 of the draft. Essentially the top of the draft happened AROUND the Browns. The other teams got a winning lottery ticket handed to them. Only the the Browns could Brown this this badly.

The rest of the NFL plays chess and the Browns FO plays checkers.
Joe retires and we grab the big name that didn't go to the draft...

Man, I hope my heart is right about Baker.
Mayfield's numbers don't lie. Two inches taller and he's the only one the conversation would have been about.
The rest of the NFL plays chess and the Browns FO plays checkers.

With these guys? Somehow I doubt that. They've got solid credentials. I think you'll end up happy
I was upset, but it's over with let's hope Dorsey is smarter than all of us. I say go for an OL Or RB next.
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

That's your opinion Denzel Ward is the BEST CB in this draft by far ...

You take a corner at #4 he better be the best corner in the LEAGUE! He better be a Rod Woodson type player. Especially in the modern NFL where corners aren't ALLOWED to be GREAT. I expect a LOT of interceptions THIS season. We passed on CHUBB for him. Now Garrett will be double teamed every down this season. So much for having a dominant D line.
Horrible.
You take a corner at #4 he better be the best corner in the LEAGUE! He better be a Rod Woodson type player. Especially in the modern NFL where corners aren't ALLOWED to be GREAT. I expect a LOT of interceptions THIS season. We passed on CHUBB for him. Now Garrett will be double teamed every down this season. So much for having a dominant D line.

Before his injury, Ogbah was really coming into his own last season
( We passed on CHUBB for him. Now Garrett will be double teamed every down this season. So much for having a dominant D line.)
Stop the QB you don't need super CBS.
Great pick.

What gives?

Gee, perhaps it's because we now have the shortest and smallest QB in our division and one of the smallest in the league. SO happy about that. If only he were 5 foot tall it would be even better.

He better never get hurt and he better light up the league. Because our new GM just HAD to outsmart everyone else. HAD to pass on a much more sure thing. So he bet on Mayfield. He bet his CAREER on Mayfield.
If he isn't a GREAT quarterback then Dorsey should never work in the NFL again. Then we pass on Chubb for a corner? We just BLEW this draft.

LOl....Dorsey picked who Sashi would have picked.....and even Sashi would have selected Chubb.

I like the Mayfield pick......the Ward pick was a big reach. He needs to be a lot like Deion where he was drafted.
Originally Posted By: shotty66
Stop the QB you don't need super CBS.

We hope, but with the rules in favor of receivers, a top-notch corner is also of high value.

Guys like Brady are tough to stop because they get rid of the ball so fast
Wanted Darnold. Have no problem with Mayfield.

Feared the thought of Allen actually being the pick.

Looking forward to seeing Mayfield compete with Taylor in TC.
j/c:

Where is kwip telling people they were stupid thinking Dorsey would draft anyone other than Darnold?
I was disappointed when I heard baker's name but I'm coming around to it - I really have no other choice. All these top QBs have flaws.
I will say the kid has some jam.
Some of you guys need to get a grip. I know you all had your favorites you wanted picked, but Mayfield is at least one of the most football intelligent and accurate guys in the draft. Those that think we were morons for passing on Darnold, just know that the Giants passed on him when everyone said he was gone. The Jets were planning on taking Mayfield when they heard Darnold may slip and interviewed him at the last moment. Those that wanted Rosen ... he's still on the board, after Allen.
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

Who is behind him? You have Ogbah, Garrett AND Chubb you can keep them fresh. You have a great rotation. But hey, we don't need no stinking Chubb. He's a bum. We just drafted the best corner in the league. Or at least he BETTER be spending the #4 pick in the draft on him. He better remind us all of Rod Woodson. He better SHUT DOWN every #1 WR he faces. Because at #4, that is AWFULLY high for a corner.
A later round pick can be behind him. Other good edge guys left.

Who is behind him? You have Ogbah, Garrett AND Chubb you can keep them fresh. You have a great rotation. But hey, we don't need no stinking Chubb. He's a bum. We just drafted the best corner in the league. Or at least he BETTER be spending the #4 pick in the draft on him. He better remind us all of Rod Woodson. He better SHUT DOWN every #1 WR he faces. Because at #4, that is AWFULLY high for a corner.

We can trade back in a take Sam Hubbard if we think we need another edge rusher ...
Great pick.

What gives?

LOl....Dorsey picked who Sashi would have picked.....and even Sashi would have selected Chubb.

I like the Mayfield pick......the Ward pick was a big reach. He needs to be a lot like Deion where he was drafted.

Sashi Brown would have traded down from #4.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Some of you guys need to get a grip. I know you all had your favorites you wanted picked, but Mayfield is at least one of the most football intelligent and accurate guys in the draft. Those that think we were morons for passing on Darnold, just know that the Giants passed on him when everyone said he was gone. The Jets were planning on taking Mayfield when they heard Darnold may slip and interviewed him at the last moment. Those that wanted Rosen ... he's still on the board, after Allen.

Fine. He's the greatest QB ever! Woo hoo. A barely six foot QB small in stature can't miss! Well, he BETTER be the greatest QB we have EVER seen in Cleveland. He better beat out TT THIS season and light it UP! If he's a bust? You might as well bulldoze that stadium right on into Lake Erie because NO ONE will EVER watch the Browns again. They just bet the FRANCHISE on Mayfield. Had they taken the safe bet, then if he failed it would have hurt but not as bad. Rolling the dice on a LONG SHOT means they HAVE to get it right. Or it's over for this franchise. We were already on the brink.

Fine. He's the greatest QB ever! Woo hoo. A barely six foot QB small in stature can't miss! Well, he BETTER be the greatest QB we have EVER seen in Cleveland. He better beat out TT THIS season and light it UP! If he's a bust? You might as well bulldoze that stadium right on into Lake Erie because NO ONE will EVER watch the Browns again. They just bet the FRANCHISE on Mayfield. Had they taken the safe bet, then if he failed it would have hurt but not as bad. Rolling the dice on a LONG SHOT means they HAVE to get it right. Or it's over for this franchise. We were already on the brink.

Insert any of the QBs names for Mayfield and most of this is still true.
I got to go watch the Baker highlights and film... I truthfully watched next to none on him, but I have a reason to now.
We're the most dramatic group of old dudes...ever.

Like...worse than Pretty Little Liars dramatic tongue
No it isn't. If you take the concensus #1 quarterback and he gets hurt or misses then we can tell ourselves that everyone would have made the pick and that's just football. You take the #3 or #4 QB as the first pick in the draft because you just HAVE to be smarter than everyone else in the league and you miss? You missed because you were ARROGANT and thought you were smarter than everyone else.

Yes, it is possible for a short, small in stature quarterback to succeed, but it is RARE. It BUCKS the ODDS. You think here in Cleveland we should be rolling the dice on a long shot? That we shouldn't take the safe choice because we always beat the odds here? Well, that is exactly what we just did. We took the long shot. Odds are he won't succeed. So until he DOES succeed. Until he shows that he is a franchise QB and can play in an NFL offense, this sucks!
If you miss on a QB at #1, you get fired. It doesn't matter what the consensus was.
For all the talking heads shilling for Mayfield you'd think they'd have tried to contact him!
On a brighter note in 2 years we can fall for Fromm. There is no doubt this team will remain in the basement of the AFC North so once Mayfield proves to be a bust, Dorsey and Jackson are fired a new regime can get it right and draft Jake Fromm from Georgia.
I'm impressed with Dorsey and crew. They picked the most aggressive talented QB. I know they were salivating for Chubb but the need was greater at DB. Very excited at the smart disciplined picks.
On a brighter note in 2 years we can fall for Fromm. There is no doubt this team will remain in the basement of the AFC North so once Mayfield proves to be a bust, Dorsey and Jackson are fired a new regime can get it right and draft Jake Fromm from Georgia.

lol. I hope we don't get the chance to pick Fromm.

He does look good though. But even when we're like normal bad, we usually don't do bad enough to get the number 1 pick. And that's where that guy goes IMO.

I think Baker Mayfield will do us just fine

(I say this every year.)

No. Prospect simulations were banned in Berea after we broke up with Anna Lytics.
Originally Posted By: TONY
I'm impressed with Dorsey and crew. They picked the most aggressive talented QB. I know they were salivating for Chubb but the need was greater at DB. Very excited at the smart disciplined picks.

They sure had alot of firepower in that room. Almost like an all star FO. I hope they're right...

(I say this every year.)

No. Prospect simulations were banned in Berea after we broke up with Anna Lytics.

I really think the analytics guys would probably favor Mayfield.

He does look good though. But even when we're like normal bad, we usually don't do bad enough to get the number 1 pick. And that's where that guy goes IMO.

No he won't.

No he won't.

Day of the Dawg is from the future.
Thread was deleted but it was funnynone the less. Browns introduce their two draft picks
No it isn't. If you take the concensus #1 quarterback and he gets hurt or misses then we can tell ourselves that everyone would have made the pick and that's just football. You take the #3 or #4 QB as the first pick in the draft because you just HAVE to be smarter than everyone else in the league and you miss? You missed because you were ARROGANT and thought you were smarter than everyone else.

Yes, it is possible for a short, small in stature quarterback to succeed, but it is RARE. It BUCKS the ODDS. You think here in Cleveland we should be rolling the dice on a long shot? That we shouldn't take the safe choice because we always beat the odds here? Well, that is exactly what we just did. We took the long shot. Odds are he won't succeed. So until he DOES succeed. Until he shows that he is a franchise QB and can play in an NFL offense, this sucks!

Mayfield was projected to go 3, so he wasn't the 3rd or 4th best QB in the eyes of the Jets, and no one thought anything of it.
Yeah, I kinda have rather had Sam but Mayfield isn't so bad I could write him off. I'm kind of excited to hear from him now.
So Baker Mayfield on Hard Knocks this year? Should be fun to watch.
We could have the highest scoring Browns offense in the last 20 years.

Well, not 100%, but 10% chance, ya if everything works out, his competitiveness, health of all around

If Corey Coleman develops, if Josh Gordon stays eligible and returns to 2011 type, Jarvis Landry keeps your mid level targets,

and all your others from last year coming off the bench at WR.

And NJoku finaly gets used, he did Real well per catch last year.

And Seth DeValve finaly proves to belong in the NFL after the marked progression in development he proved last year.

yes it's 10%, but would you take 10% that Duke Johnson would be the 6th guy to prepare for when defenses face this offense?

If you get a Rb that falls to you, to pair with Hyde and, Duke,

and Also! Free agents are going to want to come here now that they know they will have Mayfield who eventually will win the spot and prove to make everyone around him better.

10% 10% chance to get the highest scoring Browns offense in the last 20 years. I don't hate that.
Just wondering, do GMs have to take drug tests?
My thoughts exactly !!!!! The browns away seem to prove they are smarter than everyone else. And they have failed with that theory for years...l
Great- we drafted J. Manziel V2.0
I dont care for the pick but Baker is just the opposite of Johnny.
Comparisons to Johnny are lazy.
My most anticipated draft since '99, and after about 40 minutes, I turned it off. I'll find something else to do tomorrow and Saturday. See you in the Tailgate, guys. Thanks Browns!
JFF had zero giddy up. Mayfield oozes it.

Mood: Browns Twitter
Welcome Baker.

Guy has overcome obstacles his whole life. He's a great QB. He's 2" shorter than we'd like but he's tough, gritty and passionate. I'm very happy and ready to root him and Tyrod on.
Yeah, but the fact that Mayfield has acted in a more immature fashion, despite being older than the other "top" QBs in this draft.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Comparisons to Johnny are lazy.

And completely utterly wrong.
I see much of the same attitude in both players.
I think we had more Allen fans on this board than Mayfield fans.. I don't get it...

Why aren't yall liking the pick? dude balled out at OU.
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I think we had more Allen fans on this board than Mayfield fans.. I don't get it...

He is the typical great college Heisman QB with a gimmick offense. Mayfield is the better college player. Allen will be the much better pro player. Mayfield will be lucky to not get suspended.

He is the typical great college Heisman QB with a gimmick offense. Mayfield is the better college player. Allen will be the much better pro player. Mayfield will be lucky to not get suspended.

Is there a way to save these hot takes?
Time to go to bed for me cause I'm working in an hour and twenty minutes.

But welcome to Cleveland Baker Mayfield!

That little clip is hilarious! Maybe he'll do that at CBS this fall.

(I say this every year.)

I really think the analytics guys would probably favor Mayfield.
lol Baker is thee poster child for Anna Lytics community

I just don't see it.. You can't change an inaccurate QB.

So glad we didn't get Allen. I was cool with anyone else.
I wonder if other DawgTalker favorites for the first pick told the Browns: "Don't pick me".
Quote:
Baker Mayfield said he absolutely accepts #Browns have said Tyrod Taylor is going to start, said when he says he won't settle for backup job, it's because he's competitive, said sitting out year after he transferred to Oklahoma was best thing that happened to him

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/989687548493680640
The kid's a baller and he will ball out.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/989687616609177603

First look at Mayfield in a Brown's uniform wink
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
We're the most dramatic group of old dudes...ever.

Like...worse than Pretty Little Liars dramatic tongue

You have spoken truth tonight.
I've been LMAO at this thread since the beginning.
I love my Browns Brethren.
I just heard Mayfield was spotted in Vegas on a Swan raft wearing a blonde wig and talking on a money phone. smile
No way he was in his apartment with his dog.
https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/989666944856059904

Pretty close to it...looks like at his parent's house with family and friends...dude shed a tear when we called him...

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/989683116649472001
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
I wonder if other DawgTalker favorites for the first pick told the Browns: "Don't pick me".

I've made several comments about us only drafting players that don't want to play for the Browns lol
This may be the worst pick in the history of the Browns. They had 2 QB’s(Rosen, Darnold) and one cant miss player in Barkley...all they had to do was turn in the card on one of those 3 guys and they would not have screwed up the pick.

Mayfield is a moron. He will be arrested in the next 18 months because he is an idiot. This pick is actually worse then Manziel. Manziel at least never tried to run from the damn cops and get tackled and beat up then cry about like a wimp and try to act like he didn’t know what he done wrong.

Lol Dorsey won’t last 3 years here....why do all these guys seem to lose their brain function the minute they come here? No other team in the league takes this guy at one....it’s no wonder we have sucked for so long. We’re all living in the twilight zone, that’s what this is...you can’t even make this stuff up lol!!!!!
I was making a Manziel joke following Davey
Well, he wasn't who I wanted, but I sure hope I am wrong and Dorsey is right.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-browns-select-baker-mayfield-first-overall
Best quarterback in the draft.

Led all major stat categories

Has the killer instinct we desperately need. Sick of these guys that are just meh, blah, don't care, whatever, HATE THEM!

I am happy with this pick and believe its the right selection, we will see. I am so glad we didn't select Darnold, that guy does not handle pressure well at all. Allen doesn't have enough playing experience. Mayfield has the most proven experience and his record speaks for itself. Its also noticeable how he was never handed the starting position anywhere he went, he earned it every time.
On another note, I've never seen as much butt hurt people on this message board, its pathetic.
Quote:
Baker Mayfield said he absolutely accepts #Browns have said Tyrod Taylor is going to start, said when he says he won't settle for backup job, it's because he's competitive, said sitting out year after he transferred to Oklahoma was best thing that happened to him

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/989687548493680640

people are getting on him cause he said he wants to start. wth do you guys want? you want a qb that says...oh yeah im fine with being a backup adn bench guy .....smh
Quote:
then cry about like a wimp and try to act like he didn’t know what he done wrong.
You mean like what you are doing right now????
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

42td 6 ints and 4600 yards last year and people mad because we didn’t get the guy with 26 tds and 22 turnovers and less yards

A party boy runt with maturity issues is not someone you want for the face of your franchise. I hope his runty frame can survive the big hits in the AFC North. Yet again, if there is a QB I don't want the Browns will always pick him instead the sane and intelligent choice.

So sick of how bad this team drafts year after year.
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
A party boy

This is 100% false

A party boy runt with maturity issues is not someone you want for the face of your franchise. I hope his runty frame can survive the big hits in the AFC North. Yet again, if there is a QB I don't want the Browns will always pick him instead the sane and intelligent choice.

We try every runt that comes out of college. Colt McCoy, Johnny Manziel, and now Baker Mayfield. 3 strikes and you're out.
You seem to be considering height as the only measuring stick to whether or not a QB will be good, that is a mistake. You all have to give the guy a chance, jeeze. Never seen anything like this. Are you people Browns fans or just anti Mayfield fans and want him to lose. If he loses then the Browns lose.
Say hello to Johnny Manziel part 2.
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
You seem to be considering height as the only measuring stick to whether or not a QB will be good, that is a mistake.

Yea, if you are selecting late in the 1st round. If you have th #1 pick and your team has won 1 game in 2 years and did not even win a game last year I want my team to select a franchise style QB Darnold or Rosen. This pick was pathetic.
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan

Problems with substance abuse, check.

Problems with the law, check.

Undersized and a scrambler, check.

Issues with maturity, check.

Yeah your right there is no comparison at all except they both have that party boy swagger that Haslem seems to love. Wonder who REALLY made this pick ...
On another note, I've never seen as much butt hurt people on this message board, its pathetic.

And it's not even over a loss, it's not over a blown call by a ref, it's not over a missed field goal, it's not over being booted from the playoffs.
A party boy

This is 100% false

The cops would argue differently ...
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan

Problems with substance abuse, check.

Problems with the law, check.

Undersized and a scrambler, check.

Issues with maturity, check.

Yeah your right there is no comparison at all except they both have that party boy swagger that Haslem seems to love. Wonder who REALLY made this pick ...

+1
A party boy

This is 100% false

The cops would argue differently ...

Some would consider running from the cops a party. . .

The details of that situation suggest different things than you are saying.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
then cry about like a wimp and try to act like he didn’t know what he done wrong.

Nah im just stating facts. Baker has a record and tried to run from the cops, that makes him a loser. Only the Browns take a QB with a rap sheet number one overall lol

This won’t end well, the writing is on the wall. This pick has bonehead written all over it.

Sad thing is my steeler fan buddy at work, I told him Mayield would be the pick a month ago and he laughed saying “ no that’s the worst pick they could make” I said yup, exactly that’s why he will be the the guy...hit the nail right on the head...the Browns just can’t get out of their own way...it’s comicL
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Quote:

Nah im just stating facts. Baker has a record and tried to run from the cops, that makes him a loser. Only the Browns take a QB with a rap sheet number one overall lol

This won’t end well, the writing is on the wall. This pick has bonehead written all over it.

Sad thing is my steeler fan buddy at work, I told him Mayield would be the pick a month ago and he laughed saying “ no that’s the worst pick they could make” I said yup, exactly that’s why he will be the the guy...hit the nail right on the head...the Browns just can’t get out of their own way...it’s comicL

Jim Brown wasn't the utmost model citizen either.
You seem to be considering height as the only measuring stick to whether or not a QB will be good, that is a mistake.

Yea, if you are selecting late in the 1st round. If you have th #1 pick and your team has won 1 game in 2 years and did not even win a game last year I want my team to select a franchise style QB Darnold or Rosen. This pick was pathetic.

Baker Mayfield is the best Qb out of this draft class, the most accurate, the guy that won the Heisman, the guy that won the most and had the best td to int ratio.

Did the best in his bowl games. Rosen led the Bruins to 6-5 last year and hadn't played in a bowl since 3 years ago.

Dorsey was hired to get the QB position settled.
I think they may finally have the Qb position settled.

Hoping for the best.
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Baker Mayfield is the best Qb out of this draft class, the most accurate, the guy that won the Heisman, the guy that won the most and had the best td to int ratio.

Did the best in his bowl games. Rosen led the Bruins to 6-5 last year and hadn't played in a bowl since 3 years ago.

Hoping for the best.

We will get the QB position settled in 2 years when Dorsey gets fired and the team falls for Fromm.
Oh I will hope he succeeds and root for him once he starts to play but I just can't check my very severe disappointment because I don't think he will be able to stay healthy in our division with his small frame.

I'll tell you what is pathetic.The Browns not being able to get out of their own way and continuing to be the joke of the league.
Completely unhinged.

Hoping for the best.

We will get the QB position settled in 2 years when Dorsey gets fired and the team falls for Fromm.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen

Hoping for the best.

Cannot believe we fired Sashi for this. What a terrible draft. So much promise gone.
I don't hate the player but I hate the pick. I just think there was better talent then Mayfield. I would have chosen Darnold, Barkley, or Chubb before I would have drafted Mayfield.
rofl
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Disappointed.

This.

I can't even read the rest of this thread. I had hope and optimism at 8:00. 45 minutes later and I had to walk away from the draft. Two top 4 picks and we blew them both.

The number 1 pick in the draft is announced and then we see a montage of the new face of our franchise doing stupid, immature things. Fantastic.

Saved a lot of time tonight. And likely this weekend. I do not have any faith that Dorsey will make any good picks. I do not see me watching any more of this draft. I need to step away from this team.
man, you guys are pretty salty tonight.
Cya
Or possibly "settled enough." TT may help that. Do we need him to flat out win by himself?
We need to "see what we have really" full go. Just think this was odd.
Not too excited about this. But maybe he will be good. Who knows.

I have no trust in Dorsey. He doesn’t deserve any. Not until the Browns start winning games. Right now he has zero wins... that’s the way I see it. Trust comes with winning. I’ll trust him if he racks up some winning seasons for us, and then makes picks I feel may be good/bad/whatever, that’s when I’ll say “I trust him.” Otherwise he is just another new front office guy to me.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen

Hoping for the best.

Cannot believe we fired Sashi for this. What a terrible draft. So much promise gone.

What are you... six years old? I think that everybody has an idea how you feel... do you really have to continue the crying and whining? Go watch some highlights and educate yourself... Jeez...
Basically the Browns chose two players not in the top 5 of the draft. Essentially the top of the draft happened AROUND the Browns. The other teams got a winning lottery tickets handed to them. We took the third or forth best QB, by most analyst’s standards, first.
I like Ward I just wish we could have moved back and gotten him. I can live with the pick if he turns into a true stud. But if Chubb goes off in Denver it’s going to tough to swallow.
It’s still baffling to me how we can bring one GM after another and end up doing the same type of things in the draft.
Baker will be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.
Originally Posted By: Swish
man, you guys are pretty salty tonight.

That's where I usually just post over the top happy stuff....like...this:

https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/989666944856059904
Baker will be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

I don't think he'll be there in person though. Usually the guys are in Cleveland the day after the draft. No way he's flying from Texas to LA to Cleveland, right?

It’s still baffling to me how we can bring one GM after another and end up doing the same type of things in the draft.

Like I said, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Actually, "The Who" said that.
I just can't believe that we went 1-31 for 2 years, and then, when we are supposed to get the payoff this draft, we take 2 mediocre 1st round talents.

Say what you want: they might turn out to be great players, but they are both mid-level 1st round prospects! There is no denying that!

Typical Browns; somehow we think we are smarter than every other team out there. History has proven otherwise. I have absolutely no faith in Dorsey until we start winning games. This just looks like more of the same to me.
Meh. We hired Dorsey to be smarter than the rest of the league, so hopefully he will be.
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I just can't believe that we went 1-31 for 2 years, and then, when we are supposed to get the payoff this draft, we take 2 mediocre 1st round talents.

Say what you want: they might turn out to be great players, but they are both mid-level 1st round prospects! There is no denying that!

Typical Browns; somehow we think we are smarter than every other team out there. History has proven otherwise. I have absolutely no faith in Dorsey until we start winning games. This just looks like more of the same to me.

Mediocre??? Man you don't watch much college football!!!

I love PastorMarc's passion. He hated Baker Mayfield predraft, but is already defending him.
Baker's our QB now, so I hope he becomes great.
Well we still have Tyrod

I love PastorMarc's passion. He hated Baker Mayfield predraft, but is already defending him.

He's my future QB now so I will support him I wanted Darnold but ...
Did Baker Mayfield actually get up on stage and hold the Browns Jersey up?

Because neither myself, nor my friends, recall seeing him any where in the draft building.

Were we all just completely irate and blinded by anger that we missed it?
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Because neither myself, nor my friends, recall seeing him any where in the draft building.

He's at home.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Baker's our QB now, so I hope he becomes great.

Same here but I will sulk a few days

He's at home.

Why is he at home? That's so flipping lame. We drafted a lame ass quarterback.

He's at home.

He probably wanted to be with his friends and teammates.

Heck, Joe Thomas went fishing instead of going to the draft.

He's at home.

Is he protesting being picked by the Browns? Because come on. He knew he was gonna be picked in the first round. So why would he not be there?
House arrest maybe lol

He's at home.

Is he protesting being picked by the Browns? Because come on. He knew he was gonna be picked in the first round. So why would he not be there?

Myles Garrett and Joe Thomas? Also lame.

He's at home.

There’s a video on Twitter of him getting the call. Surrounded by family. The girls around him are as tall as he is....

...because Browns.

He's at home.

You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to be picked in the first round of the draft. That never happens again. It is a massive achievement.

And you choose to sit at home?
No, he wanted to do the same thing Joe Thomas and Miles Garrett did, because those were first rounders that actually worked for us.

He's at home.

Myles Garrett and Joe Thomas? Also lame.

Myles Garrett has a lot to prove. JT not so much.
I'm watching Jimmy Kimmel to see Baker Mayfield and I think I've started to hate Baker more.
Is he on Jimmy Kimmel? And it's live? As in Mayfield had time to fly to whereever and be on that damn show, and he couldn't be bothered to show up at the draft?

Seriously?
Jesus you all are a bunch of babies...I didn't want either Baker or Ward, but they're PROSPECTS! This whole thing is starting to remind me of the irrationality surrounding college FB recruiting. Let's just see what we see once the ball is snapped in September before we write them off, shall we?
Is he on Jimmy Kimmel? And it's live? As in Mayfield had time to fly to whereever and be on that damn show, and he couldn't be bothered to show up at the draft?

Seriously?

I think he'll facetime in or something.
https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/989709540563275776

John Dorsey sounds like a crappy Hulk Hogan.

Seriously?

I think he'll facetime in or something.

He's skyping now.
Kimmel just ribbed the Cleveland Browns a bit and asked if Baker would guarantee a win next year. Baker didn't and it was all really awkward.
I died a little today.
I love it!!!!!!
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
Jesus you all are a bunch of babies...I didn't want either Baker or Ward, but they're PROSPECTS! This whole thing is starting to remind me of the irrationality surrounding college FB recruiting. Let's just see what we see once the ball is snapped in September before we write them off, shall we?

We have no clue if ANY of the qbs are gonna be the answer. I do know that he has as much of a chance as any of the others. They all have issues guys and it's a crap shoot for sure.
I'm a little mad about this pick.

Why do we want some shrimpy QB who spends all his time grabbing his dick and flipping off cheerleaders. Manziel 2.0

There were only 3 other better QB prospects.

And then we pick some reach CB at 4.

Oh dear lord help me.

Browns being Browns.

I shall do mental exercises to prepare for another 0-16 parade next season.
Manziel at least never tried to run from the damn cops and get tackled and beat up then cry about like a wimp and try to act like he didn’t know what he done wrong.

Uhh...Manziel had the police chasing him with a helicopter after he beat his g/f..

Link

Comparisons to Manziel are so lazy.
Manziel at least never tried to run from the damn cops and get tackled and beat up then cry about like a wimp and try to act like he didn’t know what he done wrong.

Uhh...Manziel had the police chasing him with a helicopter after he beat his g/f..

Link

Comparisons to Manziel are so true.

Fixed it for you.
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

About 4 or 5 of the best QBs on the planet right now are sub 6'2"
Mayfield is a first one in last one out type of guy. Manziel. . . was not.
I'm starting to get tired of the bitching and it's only been a few hours.
I wanted Rosen or Sam but Baker is the guy we took so let's see how it plays out, and get behind him.
Ugh..... It's been hours and I'm still trying to cope with this. It's not that I don't like the kid, its just at #1....
I'm bitching because this happened today.

I have several months to get over it.

In the end, we all want the Browns to win, so if this loser can lead us to victory, I won't complain much.
Before the draft: "Don't trade down and try to win the draft, just pick your guy."

After the draft: *Meltdown*

Like I said before, some of you need to get a grip. The guy hasn't even thrown a ball yet for us, and people are just about declaring him a bust and firing Dorsey. He wasn't the top QB I wanted, but he isn't exactly a bum either! This isn't a McGlinchney at 9, Penny at 27 or Terrell Edmunds at 28 type of reach. Most people expected him to go by 5.

I think some people just can't get the Johnny Manziel taste out of their mouth. Any draft evaluator worth their salt have all said that Mayfield is nothing like Manziel. Baker has some of the best accuracy and best understanding of offenses of everyone in this class. Those are usually the two most important attributes you want in a QB.

Like I said before, this was the guy the Jets wanted at 3. They made that trade knowing full well that Darnold and Rosen were likely the top candidates to go 1-2. My Jets buddy said that they hadn't even interviewed Darnold until last week because they didn't expect him to be there. Mayfield was their guy.

And the Giants passed on Darnold after everyone said that he was the target they were after. Everyone else slipped even further. Everyone can stop acting like we passed on Peyton Manning or something. I don't know that Mayfield will pan out and he wasn't the top guy I wanted, but at least give the guy a few seasons before we bust out the pitchforks. crazy
Honestly. Disappointed.

It's not like I dislike Mayfield. He shows good attributes.

Ward was on the radar at four. But over Chubb?

Dorsey has had months to figure this out.

He wanted Ward with Garrett and Ogbah over Chubb, Garrett, Ogbah and ?.

Hope he is right.

I really thought Darnold would be a Dorsey guy.

All the hand size and Allen stuff.

So Mayfield is the guy. I hope he burns it up.
It's a risky pick, Darnold was the safe pick.. You pick Darnold and get it wrong, well that's what everybody expected... you make the unconventional pick and get it wrong.. you're gone in 2 years.

Saw a comment by Dorsey a few days ago that he hasn't read media or been on social media in months because he didn't want the "experts" clouding his judgement.... I guess we got confirmation that is true because he went against everything everybody thought the Browns would do.

We try every runt that comes out of college. Colt McCoy, Johnny Manziel, and now Baker Mayfield. 3 strikes and you're out.

This organization SHOULD be "out". Sadly for all of us Haslam and the Clowns continue to stick around and prove over and over, it actually CAN get "worse" while simultaneously handing free players and wins to other NFL teams.
Quote:
It's a risky pick, Darnold was the safe pick..

Actually Mayfield was the safe pick...
Quote:

If I were you I'd be basking in this so much more.

Link

Comparisons to Manziel are so true.

Fixed it for you.

Nah, it’s a lazy comparison.

Go zip around in the Jag, you’ll warm up to the Baker pick. thumbsup
j/c

Wow. I thought it could get ugly, but dayum. I underestimated you guys...

There are some incredibly bad takes in this thread from fans who are scared that someone who doesn't resemble Johnny Manziel in the least is going to be a poor quarterback without ever throwing a football...
Quote:

If I were you I'd be basking in this so much more.

I love the pick, obviously.

I'm kinda surprised at all the armchair GMs that assume this is a bad pick.

Just wow.
Quote:

You know what I meant...
Originally Posted By: dawg66
alot better then Mayfield. Mayfield's biggest problem is that he crumbles in the face of a pass rush.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...-1-overall-pick
We drafted two midgets
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
We drafted two midgets

lol midgets. The guy is an inch and a half shorter than Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy G, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton, Brett Favre, Mitch Trubisky.

I mean, really? Midget? He is a little shorter than the prototype, but hardly a midget
We drafted two midgets

You should petition they paint the field blue to become the new Smurf Turf. wink

knowing what we know now, I'd be better off with one of these two scenarios:

1. Barkley
4. Chubb
Trade up for Lamar

1. Darnold
4. Chubb
33. CB
35. Guice
jc...

JUST WIN...

That is all I care about, "winning" football games. I don't care how he does it, just lead the Browns into the playoffs and win out.
I love the Baker pick.

Was a bit bummed over Ward last night. While I still think we should have gone Chubb, it's hard to be bummed this morning with a shutdown type corner on the team.

I find it funny with all the moaning. We now have a football guy in charge but it seems the feeling is it isn't the right football guy. LOL
j/c

I keep reading people say that Mayfield and Manziel are 'nothing alike.' That simply isn't true. Clearly there are enough similarities to provoke the comparison; they are both shorter than normal for NFL QBs, they are both noted for cocky attitudes, they both have made questionable decisions on and off the field, and they both won Heismans. So please, don't insult the intelligence of the rest of us by claiming they are 'nothing alike.'

What you can say is that they are not completely alike, that the similarities are superficial and closer examination will reveal striking differences in approach to the game and in actual on field playing style. Mayfield is more 'follow the script' until you have to go off script, more accurate with his throws, more grounded in the fundamentals of the game. Say that, and we can buy into what you are saying.
Kimmel definitely lit us up last night...sadly I laughed the entire skit.

Mayfield was trying to be PC but pretty hard based on the line of questioning.

#JFF
OK as has been stated here a few times you all NEVER fail to entertain! ;-)
I love the Who Quote.... written by a drugged out alcoholic party boy...
(The song not the Post)
All I remember about last year was cringing every time DK released the ball.
Heck every time DK TOUCHED the ball.

After watching Darnold in 3 games I see DK 2.0.
Darnold pampered rich kid w/ a two year 155.6 AND dropped 13 points to 148 his second year... Ohio State showed his flaws in the Cotton Bowl.

Mayfield is an accuracy machine... at Oklahoma his Rating averages out to 189.5 almost 200 his last year.
Walk on player..... and only one to win the Heisman..and yes he has had a few issues... and of course he's a 6', solid 200 pound, midget

As for last night... I have NO problems w/ him staying at Home surrounded by Family, Friends and Coaches.

And no Mayfield was not my first choice.... but now I'm on board.
Now that he's been drafted... and I'm probably in the minority on this, but I betting on him to start game 1 vs Pittsburgh.
if you had to pick one game to win next year, Baker or Sam?

If I had to put a sizable portion of my money, on that bet, I would take Baker Mayfield
You're right. People love to speak in quick soundbite generalizations these days....who has time for distinctions.

Baker comes from a spread-read option offense and will face a big transition to an NFL offense.

But Baker brings remarkable production, accuracy and efficiency. He can also escape/create in the face of pressure.

I think Baker will put in the work to make the transition.
I'm bitching because this happened today.

I have several months to get over it.

In the end, we all want the Browns to win, so if this loser can lead us to victory, I won't complain much.
the kid has done nothing but win his entire life, I would say loser is the last thing you could call him.
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

Of the last 64 QBs taken under 6' 1" 3 have been franchise QBs.
I'm just happy they didn't trade the pick away. He shouldn't be starter for a year or two anyways.

Moving on.
Quote:

Numbers and stats wise, you are absolutely correct.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

How many of those 64 won a Heisman ? How many had a similar or better TD to INT ratio ? How many of those were walk-ons who overcame obstacles their whole collegiate career?

Nothing is known until this QB class start playing - but Mayfield is special. Hope Dorsey is right.
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I'm just happy they didn't trade the pick away. He shouldn't be starter for a year or two anyways.

Moving on.

In 2 years he’ll be pushing 26 years old. We picked an old midget. He’s 23 already.
For comparison Darnold is only 20.
Just the Browns being the Browns. We already look like a bunch of 10 year old girls next to the other teams. So lets take a tiny QB and tiny CB.
I think when anybody walks into that building in Berea their IQ goes down 50 points...........I hope PDF never goes in there. That would send him into the minus range.

We had a chance at a big strong North Ohio type QB but we had to take the most immature kid on the board. I have lost all respect for Dorsey. Never had any for Hue.

Also hated picking Ward over Chubb or Fitz I feel like a Democrat after Trump won. I may riot.
Jc

As I said before, I’ve fine with whoever as long as it wasn’t Allen.

A lot of you guys are upset at the mayfield pick, but name another QB in the draft that had the results of mayfield?

If y’all only complaints about the dude is his height and one stint with the cops....then you aren’t really complaining about much. Sorry.

Cause I’m not hearing any questions about his accuracy. His leadership. His results. His throwing motion. His movement in and out of the pocket.

He threw more TDs than the other guys. He threw LESS interceptions than the other guys.

He was asked to play in a scheme in which he absolutely dominated that scheme.

And now, again as I’ve said over and over again, he gets to sit being Tyrod a guy who doesn’t turn he ball over, knows how to move in the pocket, and is smart with taking off only when need be and protecting himself from injury.

So now, we get to have Tyrod Taylor show Baker the ropes, develop our guys this season, and let mayfield take over in 2019 in an offense where there will be CONSISTENCY because we don’t have to change the offense when he takes over!

I woke up absolutely pumped. And Baker has weapons, so it’s not like he has a bunch of bums he’s throwing to? And the draft isn’t even over.

Of the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller how many have become franchise QB's
****ESPN U will show OU games all day today******
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I don't have time to list them all GM.
Originally Posted By: mgh888

How many of those 64 won a Heisman ? How many had a similar or better TD to INT ratio ? How many of those were walk-ons who overcame obstacles their whole collegiate career?

Nothing is known until this QB class start playing - but Mayfield is special. Hope Dorsey is right.

He’s a shorter Jason White.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_White_(American_football)
Jc

A lot of you guys are upset at the mayfield pick, but name another QB in the draft that had the results of mayfield?

If y’all only complaints about the dude is his height and one stint with the cops....then you aren’t really complaining about much. Sorry.

Cause I’m not hearing any questions about his accuracy. His leadership. His results. His throwing motion. His movement in and out of the pocket.

He threw more TDs than the other guys. He threw LESS interceptions than the other guys.

And now, again as I’ve said over and over again, he gets to sit being Tyrod a guy who doesn’t turn he ball over, knows how to move in the pocket, and is smart with taking off only when need be and protecting himself from injury.

So now, we get to have Tyrod Taylor show Baker the ropes, develop our guys this season, and let mayfield take over in 2019 in an offense where there will be CONSISTENCY because we don’t have to change the offense when he takes over!

I woke up absolutely pumped. And Baker has weapons, so it’s not like he has a bunch of bums he’s throwing to? And the draft isn’t even over.

Swish, Baker compleated 70% of his passes in the big 12. Did you see his highlights? Not a defensive player within 10 yards, no pass rush. Weeden was a great QB in the big 12.
Now that he's been drafted... and I'm probably in the minority on this, but I betting on him to start game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

Hes not going to be given the chance dude ... were giving TT all the reps cause they want to win some games ... and by them i mean the thief ... were 0 - 16 .... 1 - 15 .... 3 - 13 over the last 3 years ... thats 4 - 44 ...

We gave up the #65 pick in the draft for a reason and it wasn’t to be in a competition with a rookie ... it was to be the starter from Day 1 and get ALL THE FIRST TEAM REPS a starter would ....

IF it was an actual competion .... if Mayfield is who u think he is and hes as smart and as hard a worker as they say he is .... he could possibly beat TT out .... TT is “beatable” in that sense ...

But their will be NO COMP ...
Bro he has no control over the scheme he played in. But he DOMINATED that scheme.

The only other guy that did that was Lamar Jackson.

I know this is about projecting success in the nfl, and spread QBs are difficult to evaluate, but we saw mayfield do this against some top notch teams not in the big 12.

Lets not act like he didn’t hang 38 on Georgia in the biggest game of his life.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Hes not going to be given the chance dude ... were giving TT all the reps cause they want to win some games ... and by them i mean the thief ... were 0 - 16 .... 1 - 15 .... 3 - 13 over the last 3 years ... thats 4 - 44 ...

We gave up the #65 pick in the draft for a reason and it wasn’t to be in a competition with a rookie ... it was to be the starter from Day 1 and get ALL THE FIRST TEAM REPS a starter would ....

IF it was an actual competion .... if Mayfield is who u think he is and hes as smart and as hard a worker as they say he is .... he could possibly beat TT out .... TT is “beatable” in that sense ...

But their will be NO COMP ...
The second we signed TT I told my brother we were drafting Mayfield. Too many similarities to me. TT is the perfect QB for Mayfield to sit behind for a year.

I let the media skew me since then, and I turned to Darnold - but I am perfectly ok with Mayfield.
I thought i dreamed the Browns took Mayfield, thought it was just a bad dream...got up the morning checked the news, nope...they really took this bum...lol

Oh here is what the Fayetteville Police had to say about Baker:

“By the way, he’s the quarterback for OU.”

He is... Is he really?”

“That’s what his girlfriend said.”

“He’s not very fast.”

LOL!!!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou...009d40d91a.html

this kid is actually a less athletically talented Manziel...this kid is going to get killed in this division...that is if he don't end up getting arrested first.

Getting Arrested, Grabbing his Crotch, putting a flag on the OSU field, drunken disorderly conduct, resisting arrest...yup...totally a guy the Browns take.

this is really unbelievable...stop peeing on my head and telling me its raining...this has been one of the worst drafts ever for the Browns...they reached with both of their 1st picks big time...instead of taking BPA, which is what you do when you suck as bad as we have due to lack of talent, they reach...its just comical at this point...this may actually be a worse draft then Farmer...how the hell is that even possible!? LOL
Originally Posted By: edromeo
You're right. People love to speak in quick soundbite generalizations these days....who has time for distinctions.

Baker comes from a spread-read option offense and will face a big transition to an NFL offense.

But Baker brings remarkable production, accuracy and efficiency. He can also escape/create in the face of pressure.

I agree with everything u just said ...

Including the last line of Baker putting in the work ... i don’t think work ethic or brains or accuracy will be the issue .... question is does he have the talent to make that big transition U also spoke of ....

I wanted Sam ... i’m dissapointed but think Baker has a chance ... lets see if he can make the transition ...

What do u think of the Skins draft so far?

I think the point is.. and I'm not sure how far back somebody had to go to count 64 QBs 6'1" or under.. but 3 would be just under 5% of all 64 became franchise QBs... so of the QBs 6'2" or over, have 5% become franchise QBs? Not just talking about the ones in the first round, talking about ALL QBs 6'2" or over.. I'm just guessing but I'm betting there are 10-12 of them taken every year.. is one every other year a legit franchise QB?
This may appal U but U and I can walk arm and arm in solidarity on this one ... wink ...

Baker wasn’t my first choice and he has his question marks like they ALL DID ... as u pointed out his question marks dont revolve around anythng he could control ... hes smart, accurate, a leader, a hard worker and a proven winner ... in my book that gives him more than a fighting chance ...

His question marks .... height ... he can’t control that and all we can do is hope he’s Drew Brees ... im sure no one regrets not taking him at #1 over Vick that year cause they deemed Brees to short ... rolleyes ...

As u astutely pointed out he can’t control the O he played in or the D’s he played against or the fact others before him have put up gaudy numbers and STUNK ... just cause they failed doesnt mean he will ... but it sure as all hell raises a LEGITE QUESTION he has NO CONTROL over ....

The only one he can control is his MATURTY ... hes brought that on himself ... hopefully he MATURES and makes better decisions than he has in the past ... he needs to reign in the crotch grabbing and throwing the ball at the opponents head during pre-games type crap ...

I hope u dont get coodies bro .... thumbsup
Quote:
this kid is actually a less athletically talented Manziel
the fact you think that means anything - proves you know nothing. P. Manning and Tom Brady are less athletically talented than Manizel as well, who would you take?

That means nothing to being an NFL Qb. Baker is a passer, not a runner.
First, I never come to a forum on Draft night. I'm not a fan of the knee-jerk reactions. I refuse to read them even now because I'm sure someone had already secured the noose and is ready to kick the chair out. No need to see the negativity so early in the morning.

Second, I was kinda shocked at the Mayfield pick. With the draft you never know truly what's going to happen until it happens. Could it be smoke or is it truly fire? When I watched it, it was surreal. But in no way disappointing.

Third, I'm only a third year fan but I'm in the "I love this pick" camp. I truly do. I wasn't here for the Manziel stuff but I know about it. That was a different regime, a different time. If you told me that Manziel was picked in 2010, I'd have said "sure". I don't know that time for the Browns, as a fan. It was bold and it was somewhat outside the box.

No one knows what's going to happen, but what I do believe is that Mayfield will be a difference maker. He's got a hunger to be good that is apparent from the moment you hear him speak. You cannot deny that. He has had nothing given to him and he's excelled. How can you not be inspired by that? How can you not root for that, on your team or not?

One thing that stands out to me from all the things I've heard during this draft process is that EVERYONE who brought Mayfield in for a visit absolutely loved him. Despite everything, they were impressed with all his attributes. Now that's saying something.

The draft is a time for hope for 31 teams across the league (I discount the SB champs) and here's to hoping that Baker Mayfield does for the Browns that he's done for every single team he's ever played for...make them winners.

Go Browns!
no i agree.

the biggest question mark with him will always be the spread system he's coming out of.

if height was a problem, it would've manifested itself in college. guys like him, wilson, and brees, already was use to being short and playing at a high level.

people act like the o and d lineman he was playing with/against weren't already 6'3 and taller, and that they just magically grew two inches going into the nfl. doesnt work like that.
6'0" worked for some...

Steve Young's Height
6ft 0 (182.9 cm)

American, former football player, who was Quarterback for The Los Angeles Express, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers. He once said of his height: "I’m not 6-foot-2, I’m 6-foot", and also in BYU "I'm only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because “6-foot” and “quarterback” don't go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6".

Link

We just need to get Baker on Steve's shoe contract.
I wanted Darnold but I'm not upset about Mayfield. I believe he can play. He has a good attitude, a strong enough arm, very good accuracy, brains and is a leader. Let's give him a chance. Oh, and I'm sure he has gotten used to playing football at his current height. I wanted Chubb but we got the best CB in the draft which was a need. John Dorsey is a good GM. Give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.
Mayfield was not my first choice. I wanted Darnold and Chubb. With that said I am hoping Dorsey, Wolfe and Hightower know more than all those people who are not happy with our 1st round picks. I think they are. As always I am very optimistic and have always liked Baker's leadership, accuracy and enthusiasum. Time will tell.
Quote:
the biggest question mark with him will always be the spread system he's coming out of.

That's the biggest on-field question mark.

The biggest question mark, in my book, is his non-playing stuff like planting the flag at OSU, grabbing his crotch, etc... you can get away with that stuff in college, you can even get away with a little of it in the NFL if you are winning and playing at a very high level. I like the brashness but it wears thin on the rest of the team if you aren't performing well and it wears thin on the fans if the team isn't winning.. So all I'm saying is that I hope he keeps that type of distraction-making stuff under control..
I don't care about the flag planting, the crotch grabbing, the police incident, or the Johnny Manziel comparisons. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0, the flag planting and crotch grabbing is just passion, and the police incident is a maturity issue and a mistake he can overcome. What worries me is his height and his speed. Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed. If he's hurt he can't play, if he can't play he is useless, if he's useless, it's a bad pick. So now that he's here I'll wait and see but I'm not happy about the pick and I don't hold out much hope that he'll have much success. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. We'll see.
no i agree.

if height was a problem, it would've manifested itself in college. guys like him, wilson, and brees, already was use to being short and playing at a high level.

people act like the o and d lineman he was playing with/against weren't already 6'3 and taller, and that they just magically grew two inches going into the nfl. doesnt work like that.
Pretty sure they had a guy 6foot8 on his line.

Troy Aikman said he loved the pick, and Mayfield was hands down the best in the draft. Cheers from a HOF.
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I don't care about the flag planting, the crotch grabbing, the police incident, or the Johnny Manziel comparisons. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0, the flag planting and crotch grabbing is just passion, and the police incident is a maturity issue and a mistake he can overcome. What worries me is his height and his speed. Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed. If he's hurt he can't play, if he can't play he is useless, if he's useless, it's a bad pick. So now that he's here I'll wait and see but I'm not happy about the pick and I don't hold out much hope that he'll have much success. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. We'll see.
Does speed effect Manning (either of them), brady, brees, or any other qb that doesn't have it?

hes fast ENOUGH. If I am not mistaken, he ran a better 40 than Kizer.
alot better then Mayfield. Mayfield's biggest problem is that he crumbles in the face of a pass rush.

I would love love love to see this comparison to Darnold. That kid can't handle pressure, glad we skipped drafting him.
My big thing was mentioned by somebody on TV last night (can't remember who) .. but he's not THAT athletic. He's not going to be able to play like he did at OU. Also, it's not like he has a cannon arm. To me, the pocket, players around him, etc. must be ideal
Troy Aikman said he loved the pick, and Mayfield was hands down the best in the draft. Cheers from a HOF.

Aikman also said this:

Quote:
Troy Aikman (No. 1 overall, 1989) doubts a franchise quarterback is present in this draft, but he adds, “If I was Cleveland, Sam Darnold should be the guy at No. 1.”

Link
The flag planting, he had just won a big game against a team that beat them in their house the season before. He was hyped up. Big deal.

The crotch grab. I took particular offense to that one. Being from Oklahoma, it put a bad face on our state. That was an absolute moron move knowing you're on national tv.

Moving into adult life from college life, he needs to get those emotions in check and start thinking before he acts impulsively.
You're comparing him to Kizer? How many of the QBs you named play in this division?
Quote:
In the end, we all want the Browns to win, so if this loser can lead us to victory, I won't complain much

Why bring Hue into this? smile
I'm not upset, I'm not jumping for joy. I am fine with Mayfield.

Rosen was my guy until I heard his presser.....Championships? Who the hell does that kid think he is? Completely out of line and I normally love confidence.
I agree on the flag planting (this is a nothing - I actually love the energy behind it; he slayed Goliath that day), the crotch grabbing (a veteran or ten will tell him to stow that crap and grow up), the police incident (it is one incident, not a pattern of incidents), or the Johnny comparisons (because they are borne merely of the previously listed things)..... even his height doesn't really bother me. It is proven time and again that guys can play that position in the NFL and at a high level while still being "short".

The spread offense thing, though, that bothers me.
The ONLY thing that is keeping me from hating this pick are the reports of him being very intelligent, football smart, and having a photographic memory to go with his accuracy. With those attributes and a solid work ethic, he should easily be able to adapt to an NFL offense, but there is going to be a hefty learning curve, no doubt. IF he makes that adaptation, however, this kid could be Drew Brees, but in Cleveland.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
My big thing was mentioned by somebody on TV last night (can't remember who) .. but he's not THAT athletic. He's not going to be able to play like he did at OU. Also, it's not like he has a cannon arm. To me, the pocket, players around him, etc. must be ideal
He was one of the top player under pressure, why does the pocket have to be ideal?
"Manziel 2.0" is the the most annoying, unoriginal, canned, lazy, inaccurate, and actually quite unfairly insulting moniker out there right now.
You're comparing him to Kizer? How many of the QBs you named play in this division?
Ok, Flacco is slow, ben is slow, Dalton is not fast either. lol
He was one of the top player under pressure, why does the pocket have to be ideal?

Not if you saw the Georgia game
I'd like nothing more. And I do have to say I love his accuracy. If he can get rid of the ball quickly and hit the target, he may be okay. But defenses are going to come at him hard, and I don't think he has the escapability to avoid a defensive end or linebacker who runs a 4.5 or 4.6 40. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I expect to see him on his back a lot.

Joe Flacco 4.84
Ben 4.75
Andy 4.82
Mayfield4.81

(kind weird ben had the fastest time out that bunch)

anywho.... anything else?

Not if you saw the Georgia game
No, has brady had bad games? Body of work is more important that one game bro.

You made up a completely false statement, and now you are trying to save face. GTFOH

I get you you like him. But none of the guys you mentioned are short for a QB. Comparisons are generally nonsense. The Breeze, Wilson, Manziel comparisons, all nonsense. I'm talking about this guy on our team in this division. I think it's a stupid pick. If you don't agree that's fine, but I doubt you'll change my mind. Truth is, I hope he lights it up because I'm a Browns fan and I have no other option at quarterback after this year so we're stuck until he succeeds or fails

I get you you like him. But none of the guys you mentioned are short for a QB. Comparisons are generally nonsense. The Breeze, Wilson, Manziel comparisons, all nonsense. I'm talking about this guy on our team in this division. I think it's a stupid pick. If you don't agree that's fine, but I doubt you'll change my mind. Truth is, I hope he lights it up because I'm a Browns fan and I have no other option at quarterback after this year so we're stuck until he succeeds or fails
Im actually a Darnold guy, but the excuses you guys are coming up with are just insane and idiotic.

"he be on his back alow cause he cant outrun a 4.5 guy"

Most the top Qbs in the NFL cant outrun a 4.5 guy, so that statement is just false.

Rivers, manning, ben, brady, rogers, none of them can out run a 4.5 guy.

Rogers in a staggering and towering 1 inch taller than Baker, whew!
J/C

Actually, I hope you guys keep whinning and crying like you are. Baker is the type of kid that loves that. He loves to prove people wrong, and has done it his whole life on the field.

literally have heard the most insane comments on this thread :

"hes not good under pressure" - except he was the best QB in the college basically under pressure

"hes too slow" except most pocket qbs are slower, and he is no slower than any of the QBs in our division.

"hes not tall enough" - probably the only thing that I can give you, however he hasn't been tall enough his whole life, and it hasn't stopped him yet. His Oline in college if im not mistaken was just as tall as ours, if not taller. I believe one guy was 6foot8.
How tall was Brian Sipe?
j/c...

If Mayfield beats out Tyrod, that Jets vs Browns prime time game got interesting.

Potentially, Mayfield vs Darnold.
The one thing I know Baker won't be able to do in the NFL is turn the corner like he did on some of his runs...I only watched the Georgia game live last year, but recall their defense (which was probably closest or near an NFL team) Georgias speed closed his runs down.

I just hope he comes in and works his tail off, and stays clean off the field. Not my choice, but I'm glad it wasn't Josh Allen.
I'd like nothing more. And I do have to say I love his accuracy. If he can get rid of the ball quickly and hit the target, he may be okay. But defenses are going to come at him hard, and I don't think he has the escapability to avoid a defensive end or linebacker who runs a 4.5 or 4.6 40. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I expect to see him on his back a lot.

Peyton Manning was a statue and he managed to do ok with those same guys coming at him. Knowing what the defense is throwing at you and how it affects the play you're running will take you a long, long way... if he has a fast release to go with his accuracy, he can beat any rush.

Heh, add in his age and how he is soooo "old" reminds me of this:
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance." wink

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/27/17286930/baker-mayfield-browns-draft-analysis

Quote:

Mayfield is what a No. 1 overall pick is supposed to look like.
By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner Apr 27, 2018, 8:00am EDT

Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images
The Browns picked Baker Mayfield first overall in the NFL Draft on Thursday. Good for them, because they’re getting the quarterback who played better than all his peers in college. And it wasn’t even clear that the Browns were taking Mayfield until the moment they did it.

It’s possible that they could’ve wrung more value out of their two picks — first and fourth — at the top of the draft. The parity in this year’s crop of quarterbacks meant there were better years to have the first pick. Maybe they could’ve traded down and gotten Mayfield anyway while adding more picks. Maybe another QB they could’ve had will wind up being just as good. There are no guarantees in draft life. But it’s hard to gripe about Mayfield anyway.

It’s a pretty good idea to just pick the dude who put up amazing numbers.
That’s not an airtight, one-size-fits-all principle. Fans who just watch the NFL don’t remember Timmy Chang, because college football’s No. 2 in all-time yardage never played a down in the league. It’s possible to rack up extraordinary numbers on campus and be nothing in college, and it’s possible to be bad in college to be good in the pros.

That latter thing is rare, though. It’s extremely difficult to outpace your college numbers once you make it to the league. For most quarterbacks, what they accomplished in college is the ceiling of what they can do in the NFL. Almost nobody does better.

So maybe it’s smart, when all things are relatively equal, to just pick the guy who lit up everyone else over a sparkling college career. Mayfield was that guy. He set the all-time FBS single-season passer efficiency record in 2016, then broke his own mark in 2017 and got Oklahoma to within one unlucky overtime of the national championship game.

Every statistical metric by which you could evaluate this class’ quarterbacks points in Mayfield’s direction. Really, all of them — from his own counting and rate stats to schedule strength to an improved version of the Wonderlic test. Mayfield was better in college than all of his peers, and it wasn’t because he played in some system that hopped up his yardage totals and made him look like more than he was. Mayfield played in a somewhat pro-style system at Oklahoma, and he ran it to devastating effect against good teams.

Every draft pick carries risk, but Mayfield carries less than any other QB.
In college:

Josh Allen was a tall mediocrity.
Sam Darnold coughed up gobs and gobs of turnovers.
Lamar Jackson had a slight physique and got hit (and sacked) a lot.
Josh Rosen got crushed a lot and never had a chance to shine because of iffy line play and a bad running game, not that he can’t become a great NFL QB himself.
The knock on Mayfield is that he’s ... a little short, I guess? He’s 6’1, which is on the smaller side for a quarterback, but he still had fewer passes swatted at the line than the 6’5 Allen did. He was one of the best college QBs ever, without anyone else’s warning signs.

Some have likened Mayfield to washout Johnny Manziel on the grounds that both are rambunctious Texans and have been arrested. But that’s not fair to Mayfield for a few reasons, the biggest being that his off-field wrongs don’t approach the severity of Manziel’s. The Browns aren’t worried about it, and neither is their new QB.

Mary Kay Cabot
✔
@MaryKayCabot
#Browns Mayfield: "I'm going to be myself. Johnny and I are two completely different people. I'm not going to go out and try to prove I'm not Johnny."

10:16 PM - Apr 26, 2018
90 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Acknowledging how it sounds to call the 0-16 Browns a good landing spot for any player, they might be a pretty good destination for Mayfield.
Hue Jackson has a career reputation for working well with quarterbacks, no matter how miserable his two Browns campaigns have been. Mayfield’s offensive line might be bad, and it’s best not to minimize the problem with 5/11 of an offense being bad. But he has a couple of potentially strong running backs in Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson.

His pass-catching corps has loads of as-yet unrealized potential. It includes two recent first-round picks in speedster Corey Coleman and tight end David Njoku. The team traded for Jarvis Landry and extended his contact, and Josh Gordon isn’t suspended as of this writing.

Tyrod Taylor cost the Browns a valuable draft pick, 65th overall. They probably didn’t trade for him to sit him immediately. But he might be just the right bridge to Mayfield, playing out the last days of the bad Browns before Mayfield slides into a superior situation. Mayfield says he plans to compete to play now, and of course he does. If he doesn’t, it’s OK.

Browns fans should be stoked, because it’s often the case that great college football players turn out to just be great football players, period.
Ask the Texans if they regret taking Deshaun Watson in 2017. They don’t.

Ask the Browns if they regret not taking Watson last year. Maybe they don’t, either. But now they don’t have to wonder.
Yes, you are righteous in your indignation. thumbsup I’ll simply say I certainly don’t wish to be right.
Quote:
Mayfield played in a somewhat pro-style system at Oklahoma

Can anyone expound on this?
All I've seen thus far is how he is just another spread QB. If he's been running part of a pro system and rocking the snot out of it, you'd think people would be a whole lot happier right now.

You can't count to 5 or 6?
Quote:
Darnold pampered rich kid

Really? Rich? Pampered?

I'm gonna have to ask for proof there.
pppsssttt Remember when we went to lunch. I told you Allen or Mayfield.
Originally Posted By: mgh888

He’s a shorter Jason White.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_White_(American_football)

Lmao

Wooooooo boy is that bad
Is there a presser scheduled or will they bring them all in later?
May as well do Baker by himself as he'll get all the attention.
Maybe you can help me with something.

Both Mayfield and our FO say he is a winner, but I was looking at his bio, and with the exception of individual awards, has he won anything?

Deshaun Watson was a winner, we was the national Champion, but what did Mayfield win to classify himself has such?
Mayfield won three straight Big 12 titles. His team was never good enough to win the national title.

Both Mayfield and our FO say he is a winner, but I was looking at his bio, and with the exception of individual awards, has he won anything?

Deshaun Watson was a winner, we was the national Champion, but what did Mayfield win to classify himself has such?

His defense caused his TEAM to falter, it sure the hell wasn't mayfields fault. His coaches did him no favors against GA either
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:
Mayfield played in a somewhat pro-style system at Oklahoma

Can anyone expound on this?
All I've seen thus far is how he is just another spread QB. If he's been running part of a pro system and rocking the snot out of it, you'd think people would be a whole lot happier right now.

I think auto-correct is the culprit. It should have read, Mayfield played in a somewhat project-style system at Oklahoma.
j/c...

If Mayfield beats out Tyrod, that Jets vs Browns prime time game got interesting.

Here's the thing: we're already saying "if Mayfield starts". (and I'm not just singling you out Milk) So suddenly our plan is already out the window. Drafting Mayfield brings the immediate pressure to play him right away

He is the only kid to ever WALK on a team, and become a Heisman winner. He is the winningest QB in college if I am not mistaken coming out. He has overcome everywhere he has been. That's what they mean.
j/c...

Here's the thing: we're already saying "if Mayfield starts". (and I'm not just singling you out Milk) So suddenly our plan is already out the window. Drafting Mayfield brings the immediate pressure to play him right away
I don't think Hue and Dorsey care what some posters say on a message board.

the plan is to have TT start, Hue has already said this minutes after drafting him.

I would love love love to see this comparison to Darnold. That kid can't handle pressure, glad we skipped drafting him.

Passing under pressure really needs to be broken down more. On screen plays, the play is designed for the QB to be under pressure. It's not nearly as impressive to dump a ball off behind the line of scrimmage as it is to face an unexpected rusher in your face and deliver down the field.

What Baker was asked to do on the field, he did well. I'm still not completely sold, but it's not his fault he consistently had the cleanest pockets I can recall seeing and the largest windows to throw into.

While Baker has those instances where he lets his emotions get the best of him and doesn't think, when he is thinking he is comparable to Rosen with intelligence. He plays good situational football (taking a sack with a lead instead of trying to force things, knowing the sticks, etc.) and takes care of the football.

While Baker and Manziel have their similarities when you are just looking at snap shots, Mayfield is a hard worker/cerebral player. Manziel never was, and that was ultimately his downfall.

We could use some swagger/confidence on offense. Hopefully he can back it up. There will be an adjustment coming from the Big 12, but with TT in the fold he doesn't have to make it by week 1.
I'm always amazed at the amount of draft scouts we have on this board that can project players in the NFL. Never fails how many whiners there are posting because who they thought was the best didn't get drafted.

Seriously, give the kid a chance. I'm just happy we didn't draft Allen
I started looking at this thread to get some clarity and to relax a little, because I really wanted Darnold. And I think I'm getting it. From Mayfield's supporters, I'm seeing all the things I'm saying about him. He wins, he's accurate, he lit up the college game, he beat OSU, he played well against Georgia, and he has the best stats in almost every category in college, he's intelligent and reportedly good at the whiteboard, and he started 3+ years.

From the haters, I'm seeing nothing but ridiculous posts about how he's Manziel, he's short, he's not good under pressure, that he's not fast, and that he won't be able to turn the corner on NFL defenses.

He's not Manziel. Dorsey and company wouldn't have drafted him if he was. Trust their process. Dorsey would not hang his hat on a lazy substance abuser.

He is short for a QB, but that hasn't hampered him so far.

He is good under pressure. He actually rates the best under pressure.

He is just as fast as the other QB's in our division, as pointed out by Willit.

He doesn't need to turn the corner on NFL defenses because he's not a running QB. This comment was the one I found most ridiculous.
Ok here is my breakdown on mmayfield

bad
He is short
immaturity issues
scheme thats produced a lot of busts
watch his highlight reel and all you here is wide open, wide open, wide open
He can move but he isnt much of an athlete
doesnt see the field very well
zone schemes he faced didnt allow him to develop the anticipation I want to see

Good
He throws the most catchable ball I have seen since Joe Montana, tremendous touch
He has the big arm, much better than most think
he gets rid of the ball very quick
he plays on his toes, some qbs cower in the pocket he is on his toes and bouncing, makes himself much taller in the pocket
Those around him love playing with him, his is a leader
He throws with incredbile accuracy
He doesnt panic under pressure

I love watching the kid play and he will have weapons here. I would not have taken him at 1 but I see the good in him. He wants it and he wanted to be a Brown.

2 games to watch is OSU and Georgia. Both were on youtube
Jc

Swish, Baker compleated 70% of his passes in the big 12. Did you see his highlights? Not a defensive player within 10 yards, no pass rush. Weeden was a great QB in the big 12.

Weeden was NOT a great QB in the Big 12. Anyone that turned on tape could see that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Blackmon and Dez Bryant made him look good.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Jc

Weeden was NOT a great QB in the Big 12. Anyone that turned on tape could see that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Blackmon and Dez Bryant made him look good.

He was also 28 and the 4th (?) QB selected.
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Mayfield won three straight Big 12 titles. His team was never good enough to win the national title.

Wouldn't that make Brice Petty a winner also? Aj Mccarron?

The IMHO winner is the Championship winner, conference winner is nothing.
that's funny stuff
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Ok here is my breakdown on mmayfield

bad
He is short
immaturity issues
scheme thats produced a lot of busts
watch his highlight reel and all you here is wide open, wide open, wide open
He can move but he isnt much of an athlete
doesnt see the field very well
zone schemes he faced didnt allow him to develop the anticipation I want to see

Good
He throws the most catchable ball I have seen since Joe Montana, tremendous touch
He has the big arm, much better than most think
he gets rid of the ball very quick
he plays on his toes, some qbs cower in the pocket he is on his toes and bouncing, makes himself much taller in the pocket
Those around him love playing with him, his is a leader
He throws with incredbile accuracy
He doesnt panic under pressure

I love watching the kid play and he will have weapons here. I would not have taken him at 1 but I see the good in him. He wants it and he wanted to be a Brown.

2 games to watch is OSU and Georgia. Both were on youtube

He has no physical attributes and all the rest we cannot really translate because the speed and complexity of the game is completely different.

He lacks Wentz mobility, and the level of proficiency required for a pocket Qb to excel in the NFL is staggering. Just look at the time it took Payton...

He has questionable character, so all that of his team mates loving him is worth nothing. He is like Manziel on that regard, and I don't see it has a good thing, specially in a locker room with no veteran presence nor leadership.

Idiotic pick, no matter how you look at it. Even if you love him, he would be there at #4.

Quote:
I don't think Hue and Dorsey care what some posters say on a message board.

HUH???? saywhat
that's funny stuff

It was pretty funny ... thumbsup
Originally Posted By: mac
How tall was Brian Sipe?

That was 2 -3 NFL generations ago, with totally different passing game rules and QB expectations.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: mac
How tall was Brian Sipe?

That was 2 -3 NFL generations ago, with totally different passing game rules and QB expectations.

Sipe didn't ever play or a 1-31 team also.... And he was drafted on the 13th round... spent 2 years on the reserve team.

So if we had picked Mayfield has an UDFA, I would be very happy...
Mayfield is a winner, he loves playing the game, he is a leader, he is ACCURATE, and he is just might be the guy we have been searching for since Kosar at least I am hoping fingerscrossed
I have been talking with Bills fans for a couple weeks and they are destroyed with Allen pick and almost everyone of them thinks we got the best QB in the draft ...
I have been talking with Bills fans for a couple weeks and they are destroyed with Allen pick and almost everyone of them thinks we got the best QB in the draft ...
I'd rather have Mayfield than Allen, but then again we did have the #1 pick.
I'd rather have Mayfield than Allen, but then again we did have the #1 pick.

Browns and Bills.... we had to know that....

What 2 stupid organizations... smartasses... pffff

Love their 2nd pick though...

My Jets buddy and his Jets buddies were bummed that we got Mayfield.

My Jets buddy and his Jets buddies were bummed that we got Mayfield.

I know that the Bills and Jets fans both loved Mayfield ...
Quote:
Actually, I hope you guys keep whinning and crying like you are. Baker is the type of kid that loves that. He loves to prove people wrong, and has done it his whole life on the field.

Were you holding your crotch when you typed that?
Well, there's who you want, who you don't want and who you end up with.

I have my concerns about Mayfield lacking self control. Creating situations just like he did in college. You can't bean your opponents in the head with a football in the NFL. You can't grab your crotch while cursing out your opponents and flipping them off in the NFL. There's a difference between having an attitude and acting like an azzhole. When you start drawing penalties and being suspended you've crossed that line.

Having said that, I'm hoping it's more about the immaturity of youth and not something that will continue. All I can do is hope he's learned his lessons and doesn't continue this obvious pattern. But I've hoped that about certain Browns players before to no avail. I hope I have better luck with that this time.

He wouldn't have been my first choice at QB nor my second choice. But I don't get paid millions of dollars with a scouting staff to make these decisions. So here's where I stand right now.

He's a Brown. He's the future starting QB of my Cleveland Browns. He's who this FO has decided will be our QB moving forward. As such I will support him. I will watch him develop and grow. I will hope he turns out to be a great NFL QB.

At this juncture I can whine about it, just like so many whine about Hue, or I can climb on board and back my team. I'm just not a whiner.
Originally Posted By: 442Dawg
I started looking at this thread to get some clarity and to relax a little, because I really wanted Darnold. And I think I'm getting it. From Mayfield's supporters, I'm seeing all the things I'm saying about him. He wins, he's accurate, he lit up the college game, he beat OSU, he played well against Georgia, and he has the best stats in almost every category in college, he's intelligent and reportedly good at the whiteboard, and he started 3+ years.

From the haters, I'm seeing nothing but ridiculous posts about how he's Manziel, he's short, he's not good under pressure, that he's not fast, and that he won't be able to turn the corner on NFL defenses.

He's not Manziel. Dorsey and company wouldn't have drafted him if he was. Trust their process. Dorsey would not hang his hat on a lazy substance abuser.

He doesn't need to turn the corner on NFL defenses because he's not a running QB. This comment was the one I found most ridiculous.
we finally agree lol.

I just don't get the arguments being thrown around that completely false and proven so, yet they still keep saying it. lol

The same guys bashing Baker, were all in on Cody Kessler, yet Mayfield is more accurate than cody, has a much better arm, and much more mobile. I don't get it.
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Were you holding your crotch when you typed that?

"on no, lets pass on a potential star cause he got emotional as a 20somthing kid in a big game"

p. manning was putting his crotch on womens head in the weight room in college, I don't think its a big deal as you may think. Unless of course, you just jealous of what hes grabbing....
Perpetual unhappiness. Some must keep it rolling...
Yeah, that's the only time he acted like an azzhat. What about beaning an opponent in the head with a football? What about running from the cops?

I understand he's our guy. I will support him. But when will some of you quit acting like his poor behavior is a one time deal? There is cause for concern.
you know, At 2pm yesterday, Before the start of the draft, I was in the car and the local radio started talking about the draft.

They went into the Josh Allen racial tweets story, and transitioned so badly that for 3 or 4 minutes I thought Josh Allen had been revealed as the Browns #1 overall pick.

Now my heart was unhappy, but in those 3-4 minutes I had accepted it and figured the team must have had some plan to get the most out of it.

Even accepted the fact that Mayfield was going to go to the Jet's at 3 and put up 35+ points against the Browns on week 3 on Thursday night.

Baker Mayfield is the Qb I wanted, because Baker Mayfield is the Best Qb in this draft and he's going to be the most successful.

Everybody (teams) wanted him, The Cardinals, Saints, Bills, Broncos's Jet's .
I dunno.

The Browns have only picke a Qb with their "top pick" one other time in my memory, even since 87, Tim Couch.

And in 01' the Browns were not looking to get a Qb, because the Qb wasn't a question mark.

Baker Mayfield is the guy! I hope the team has a long sense of continuity with
Mayfield, Dorsey, Haley, and Greg Williams, ...and Hue(errr) can oversee it if it starts to equal wins.
I figure he was reminded by our interviewers that it's seriously time to handle himself like a man.
Can he and will he is yet to be seen. Focus that stuff on football son...
deleted
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm just not a whiner.

Your posts in the political forum suggest otherwise ... naughtydevil ...

His character is definetly something to be questioned ... he’s made some DUMB, INMATURE decisions .... im hoping he matures and makes better decisions ... thats completely possible .. he needs to control his temper ....

He has questions ... THEY ALL DID ...

He was my 3rd choice ... it is what it is ...

LETS HOPE TABBERS RIGHT .... thumbsup

CONGRATS TABBER ... u best be right bro ... wink
Yeah, that's the only time he acted like an azzhat. What about beaning an opponent in the head with a football? What about running from the cops?

I understand he's our guy. I will support him. But when will some of you quit acting like his poor behavior is a one time deal? There is cause for concern.
ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.
Will Baker Mayfield be given as much rope to boom or bust as Myles Garrett has been or will be given?
Everybody (teams) wanted him, The Cardinals, Saints, Bills, Broncos's Jet's.

Maybe those five (and even that's a guess) but certainly not everyone.

Quote:
Former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly, now with NFL Network, polled 24 league executives to gauge the best quarterback prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft.

According to Casserly, 17 of those executives prefer USC quarterback Sam Darnold, 3 prefer Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, 2 prefer UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen and 2 prefer Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen. When he tallied the votes, from first to fourth, Darnold was first followed by Allen, Mayfield and Rosen.

Once again, the Browns FO being "smarter" than over at least half the league. And we dont know what the other third thinks.

Link
Will Baker Mayfield be given as much rope to boom or bust as Myles Garrett has been or will be given?
what??????

what rope has he been given, the dude literally sacked a guy on his first play of the game. lol
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
His character is definetly something to be questioned ... he’s made some DUMB, INMATURE decisions .... im hoping he matures and makes better decisions ... thats completely possible .. he needs to control his temper ....

He has questions ... THEY ALL DID ...

He was my 3rd choice ... it is what it is ...

LETS HOPE TABBERS RIGHT .... thumbsup

CONGRATS TABBER ... u best be right bro ... wink

Actually he was my third choice as well. I certainly hope Tab is right too. You have to love his intensity as long as he can keep it in check.
I watched a lot of film last night and into the day on Baker. He clearly has some nice qualities. I think if he were one inch taller, Noone would be upset. I think if he had no off field troubles/compared to JM, even less upset about the pick.

Kid can sling the ball though. I see a little of that Farve comparison a lot of people used.
That's what we have to hope for. That he's smart, savvy, gutty, and crafty enough to overcome his size & speed to win games. At this point, it's wait and see.
Quote:
Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed.

The 4 teams in the AFC North last year finished in total defense:

15 - Bengals
19 - Browns
21 - Ravens
28 - Steelers
Our division is not that good anymore ... its actually ripe for the taking ...

I expect to either finish in 2nd or be a game out at most ...

Pitt is the best but there not all that ... there BEATABLE ... VERY BEATABLE ...

Cinci and Balt aren’t very good anymore ... they’ve both went steadily downhill over the last 3 or so years ... i believe were better than both of them RIGHT NOW TODAY ....

Joe Flacco 4.84
Ben 4.75
Andy 4.82
Mayfield4.81

(kind weird ben had the fastest time out that bunch)

anywho.... anything else?

Was Ben running To, or Away from the nightclub bathroom when they clocked that 40 time? rofl
Ben doesn’t have to run while on the field. He can throw with 300 pound guys draped on him. He can stand tall in the pocket at 6’5” and see over a collapsing pocket.
Two things Baker won’t be able to do. Run. Not run. Don’t matter.
We chose poorly. I hope I’m wrong but... Jason White 2.0 with behavior issues is what I see. Jason didn’t get drafted.
I am a TCU season ticket holder and have watched Baker several times. TCU's defense typically ranks as on of the top in the country and is usually very fast. He comsistently picked them apart, because TCU would shut down the running game most times. You can say he is short, but his O line was plenty tall and he rarely had a pass batted down. Good vision down the field on the run and has a fairly quick release. Bottom line he wins a lot of games and his team mates love him! If you play or root against him you dislike him a great deal!!

His style will take some maturing to make it as a pro but he has a lot of heart and winning cures a lot of issues.
I wanted Darnold and Chubb but I'm not upset with whom we picked because I believe they are good players also. I've been a Browns fan for over 50 years and am entitled to my opinion but it doesn't make me a talent evaluater. Does anyone on this board think they know more than John Dorsey and our scouting staff? I know I don't. I have faith in what they have done so far and what they will do in the next 2 days. Build us a winner!!

Most fans spent 2 hours looking at other people's reviews and assessments, they spent months day in and day out doing homework. I pray it finally transforms into a franchise QB.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I wanted Darnold and Chubb but I'm not upset with whom we picked because I believe they are good players also. I've been a Browns fan for over 50 years and am entitled to my opinion but it doesn't make me a talent evaluater. Does anyone on this board think they know more than John Dorsey and our scouting staff? I know I don't. I have faith in what they have done so far and what they will do in the next 2 days. Build us a winner!!
Here's the difference between all of us and John Dorsey: we know more about the BROWNS than he does. we have a dang good feel for the culture, organization, fans, and what's not worked well here.
Originally Posted By: Frogman
I am a TCU season ticket holder and have watched Baker several times. TCU's defense typically ranks as on of the top in the country and is usually very fast. He comsistently picked them apart, because TCU would shut down the running game most times. You can say he is short, but his O line was plenty tall and he rarely had a pass batted down. Good vision down the field on the run and has a fairly quick release. Bottom line he wins a lot of games and his team mates love him! If you play or root against him you dislike him a great deal!!

His style will take some maturing to make it as a pro but he has a lot of heart and winning cures a lot of issues.

Colt McCoy
Johnny Manzel
Kody Kessler
Baker Mayfield

We are on mission to prove that physically challenged QBs' can play in this League.

I guess we are do to get one right.

2 Mannings Rothelisberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Winston, Cam, Carr, Jimmy G, Rivers, Goff, Luck, Cousins, Wentz,Brady. That all I can think of off the top of my headGM

This is true.

But Baker brings remarkable production, accuracy and efficiency.

Which means very little when projecting to the NFL. If it did - Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware, Troy Smith etc. would all be HOF NFL mainstays.

He can also escape/create in the face of pressure.

At the college level. Not at the NFL level. Not big enough, not fast enough. Just not even close to athletic enough. He's half the athlete Manziel was and Manziel wasn't athletic enough.

Let's hope so. How many crotch grab reps can he fit in during minicamp in Berea? Maybe he can put in the work so that next time he can outrun the cops in Parma. Here's to hoping.
In my book franchise takes you to Superbowls and wins rings. Otherwise your a teams QB. Narrows that field down instantly.
I know, But, NFL success is not a democracy.

and I don't trust anybody in New York cares about what's best for Cleveland in sports.

NO Worries, because Baker Mayfield is the best Qb in this draft, he's going to turn the Browns into a better team,

And in a few months everybody's going to see this Guy play, and everybody's going to get on board.

Baker Mayfield = nanner nanner nanner
quote above by Knight Of Brown:

Quote:
This may be the worst pick in the history of the Browns. They had 2 QB’s(Rosen, Darnold) and one cant miss player in Barkley...all they had to do was turn in the card on one of those 3 guys and they would not have screwed up the pick.

I think it's very possible these players directly (or indirectly through their agents) made it clear they will not be happy playing for the Browns.

If that's the case, experience has shown drafting such players is a huge mistake.

Unfortunately, I think many Browns players are already there.

I think "Professionalism" in the NFL in the 21st century is warped.
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Moving on.

That's what they keep saying publicly, but do you honestly believe this merry band of idiots led by the arrogant SOB Lord Dorsey? No way.

Not only will Johnny Mayfield play this year, I wouldn't be shocked in the least to see him starting week 1.

Might as well just rip this band-aid off.

and I don't trust anybody in New York cares about what's best for Cleveland in sports.

NO Worries, because Baker Mayfield is the best Qb in this draft, he's going to turn the Browns into a better team,

And in a few months everybody's going to see this Guy play, and everybody's going to get on board.

I hope you're right. If it doesn't work out we can start a Midget wrestling team with Baker and Ward.
I like how before the draft, and we were being mocked to pick Allen, everyone was all, "Dear Gawd, don't pick a guy because of measurables!"

So then we pick Mayfield and now it's, "Dear Gawd, we picked a midget!"
I'd quit watching altogether before I got so worked up over this.
Good Lord walk away and save your mental health...

I wasn't replying to you cfrs15...sorry.
I like how before the draft, and we were being mocked to pick Allen, everyone was all, "Dear Gawd, don't pick a guy because of measurables!"

So then we pick Mayfield and now it's, "Dear Gawd, we picked a midget!"

i liked Allen's measurable just not his accuracy. I was a Darnold guy all the way. Big strong and accuracy, mature and Blue collar. I drank warm milk and cried myself to sleep last night.
i liked Allen's measurable just not his accuracy. I was a Darnold guy all the way. Big strong and accuracy, mature and Blue collar. I drank warm milk and cried myself to sleep last night.

My issue with Darnold is his decision making. I just think he's very raw

He has a knack for big plays, but he also threw these passes that left me baffled. Like, what the heck was he think

I certainly think Darnold could improve his decision making with experience and coaching, but it's why he was third on my rankings. There were holes in the mental aspects of the game with him IMO

2 Mannings Rothelisberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Winston, Cam, Carr, Jimmy G, Rivers, Goff, Luck, Cousins, Wentz,Brady. That all I can think of off the top of my headGM

I thought you were going to give us franchise QBs out of the last 64 over 6'2"... there are 8 or 9 taken a year so you can only count the ones drafted since about 2009.
So Flacco, Matt Ryan, Rodgers, 2 Mannings, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brady... all off the list.

And putting Cousins on there is a bit of a stretch, what has he won? Goff has finished exactly one decent season, Luck has started 22 games in the last 3 years, Jimmy G has started 6 games....
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
And putting Cousins on there is a bit of a stretch, what has he won?

A hugeass contract! grin

He is the only kid to ever WALK on a team, and become a Heisman winner. He is the winningest QB in college if I am not mistaken coming out. He has overcome everywhere he has been. That's what they mean.

I keep hearing this about him being a walk-on. Why do we care again? What does that mean about his future success or lack thereof in the NFL? Is it supposed to be a feel-good story? Supposed to tug on the heart strings? Awww poor wittle kid, nobody liked him and he tried and tried and tried.... Like who gives a rip? NOBODY CARES!

And please, let's stop with the "Heisman" thing. It's like saying a guy won his conference in HS so he's going to be a good NFL QB. It has about the same amount of correlation. Need I remind everyone of this list -

Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin III
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Carson Palmer
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Danny Wuerffel
Charlie Ward
Gino Torretta
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware

And that's just going back to 1987. So that's 20 Heisman winning QBs. 18, not including the 2 from this draft. I count 3.5 who had any modicum of success in the NFL. Palmer, Bradford, Newton (who is crazy over-valued) and 1/2 for Mariota (still TBD). So 3.5/18 is a 19% success rate.

Might as well say you threw a dart and it landed on Baker. It would hold more statistical weight.

As for winningest QB in college? Yep, Tebow and McCoy are calling. Maybe we should draft Blake Sims. At least he won a national championship at Alabama - something Baker never did. I mean if it's all about "winning in college".
Here's the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller since 2012:

Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
DeShone Kizer
Davis Webb
C.J. Beathard
Joshua Dobbs
Nathan Peterman
Brad Kaaya
Chad Kelly
PLAYER
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch
Christian Hackenberg
Jacoby Brissett
Connor Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones
Kevin Hogan
Nate Sudfeld
Jake Rudock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brandon Doughty
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley
Trevor Siemian
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Logan Thomas
Tom Savage
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron
Zach Mettenberger
David Fales
Keith Wenning
Garrett Gilbert
EJ Manuel
Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert
Sean Renfree
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Lindley
B.J. Coleman
Chandler Harnish

On a side note, I removed only 6 guys that were "under", and one of them was Russell Wilson. So that's a 17% success rate. wink
So out of that list, I'll say these guys are franchise guys:
Watson, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Carr, Luck, Prescott, Cousins.

We haven't really seen enough of Trubisky, Mahomes, Garroppolo, or Goff to make a call there, but I'll give you half.

So 10 guys out of 63 (I was wrong on the first count) ... that's 16% success rate. Just about the same as 1 Russell Wilson out of 6 other short guys.

ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.

I don't know much about these guys coming out of college so I can't really speak to anyone's ability or offer my own opinions on a projection for success.

Having said that, I'm not really concerned at this point with complaints of his attitude.

Truth be told, if give the choice between a young Qb who's going in to a game wide eyed and gets shell shocked versus a guy who's going to play like his big brass ones are too big... I'd take the latter. I'd love to see someone in Cleveland with the passion of a Phillip Rivers, even if it leads to a flag or two. I'm tired watching offenses that get punked out.

And in regards to the 'behavioral' stuff... it's a good thing he doesn't have to be put on the field right away. He'll easily sit behind TT for a season or more (which would be ok) before he gets the keys to the car. That's plenty of time for him to learn about professionalism.

JMO
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

I don't know much about these guys coming out of college so I can't really speak to anyone's ability or offer my own opinions on a projection for success.

Having said that, I'm not really concerned at this point with complaints of his attitude.

Truth be told, if give the choice between a young Qb who's going in to a game wide eyed and gets shell shocked versus a guy who's going to play like his big brass ones are too big... I'd take the latter. I'd love to see someone in Cleveland with the passion of a Phillip Rivers, even if it leads to a flag or two. I'm tired watching offenses that get punked out.

And in regards to the 'behavioral' stuff... it's a good thing he doesn't have to be put on the field right away. He'll easily sit behind TT for a season or more (which would be ok) before he gets the keys to the car. That's plenty of time for him to learn about professionalism.

JMO

I year or TWO? He’ll be nearing his 26th Birthday in two years. I hope he’s grown up some by then.
Meanwhile Darnold will be almost as old as Baker is now in that time and he’s already more mature.
But Browns.

I year or TWO? He’ll be nearing his 26th Birthday in two years. I hope he’s grown up some by then.
Meanwhile Darnold will be almost as old as Baker is now in that time and he’s already more mature.
But Browns.

Which means that in 15 more years of playing, he'll be just about the same age as Tom Brady is right now.

Age is just a number.... especially when you're that young.
Age may be a number but maturity isn’t. Hence my comparison of Darnold at his age, 20, and Baker at his, 23. Baker acts a fool. Darnold is calm, collected, and professional. .

And I'll stop worrying about it when it stops becoming a problem. And in case you missed it, it's just a logical concern. His history has shown us that. Some try to ignore it, but that's their problem.

I'm not saying he can't or won't outgrow it. But he's not 20. It could go either way. As a Browns fan I certainly hope he does. But actually owning up to his actions and understanding he has had issues in his past has nothing to do with spilling an ice cream cone.

Let me tell you what it means. It means some people own up to a situation he created while others wish to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la,la,la,la,la,la".
Yup, and I'm sure he'll grow out of it plenty quick.

He'll have fire, but be more "appropriate" with some guidance from veterans and the fact that he's going to be BUSY working... though, I would love to see him plant an orange & brown flag on the 50 of Heinz Field.
Is that a grass field or turf? Considering the last debacle he may want to do a little homework first.. lol
Yup, and I'm sure he'll grow out of it plenty quick.

He'll have fire, but be more "appropriate" with some guidance from veterans and the fact that he's going to be BUSY working... though, I would love to see him plant an orange & brown flag on the 50 of Heinz Field.

Yuck. As much as I want to beat the Steelers I want even more for us to beat them then walk off the field quietly, like it was expected, and celebrate in the locker room. Not act like a frat party dumped onto the field and celebrate like a bunch of punks. Act like we’re professionals. Not pull the punk crap TO pulled in Dallas.
That sounds like a great fairy tale rendition, but I'd just like to win for once -- and if after that emotions are running super high, then by all means, roll with it.

I've had so little to cheer about, or be pleased in any way about, with this franchise that I wholeheartedly welcome any genuine show of emotion.... or anything that gives me reason to have any sort of positive emotion.
That sounds like a great fairy tale rendition, but I'd just like to win for once -- and if after that emotions are running super high, then by all means, roll with it.

I've had so little to cheer about, or be pleased in any way about, with this franchise that I wholeheartedly welcome any genuine show of emotion.... or anything that gives me reason to have any sort of positive emotion.

Agree, except any form of positive emotion I'd have from actually beating Pittsburgh would immediately be replaced by shame and disgust if the above ever happened. No thanks.

But let's be real. Mayfield ain't beating Pittsburgh anytime soon so no need to worry about this hypothetical.
Originally Posted By: 442Dawg

we finally agree lol.

I just don't get the arguments being thrown around that completely false and proven so, yet they still keep saying it. lol

The same guys bashing Baker, were all in on Cody Kessler, yet Mayfield is more accurate than cody, has a much better arm, and much more mobile. I don't get it.

Football is easier to agree on and we can forget about life for a while.

As for all the haters, they're allowed to hate, as we're allowed to be optimistic. The only thing that will bring us all together on Baker, and to silence the Johnny comparisons, is winning. If Baker can win here, we will all love him. Every single one of us.
Darnold is calm, collected, and professional. .
and throws the ball to the other team.....
Ben doesn’t have to run while on the field. He can throw with 300 pound guys draped on him. He can stand tall in the pocket at 6’5” and see over a collapsing pocket.
We chose poorly. I hope I’m wrong but... Jason White 2.0 with behavior issues is what I see. Jason didn’t get drafted.
Did you know that if you take an extra drop step back its the equivalent to BM being 6foot8?'

did you know he has never had an problem seeing over the line in college, a line that is taller than our line now?
Yuck. As much as I want to beat the Steelers I want even more for us to beat them then walk off the field quietly, like it was expected, and celebrate in the locker room. Not act like a frat party dumped onto the field and celebrate like a bunch of punks. Act like we’re professionals. Not pull the punk crap TO pulled in Dallas.

If that clown tries to pull that flag planting crap at Heinz Field he will get his ass kicked and good. As he should. Time to act like a professional athlete and not some college punk.

And I'll stop worrying about it when it stops becoming a problem. And in case you missed it, it's just a logical concern. His history has shown us that. Some try to ignore it, but that's their problem.

I'm not saying he can't or won't outgrow it. But he's not 20. It could go either way. As a Browns fan I certainly hope he does. But actually owning up to his actions and understanding he has had issues in his past has nothing to do with spilling an ice cream cone.

Let me tell you what it means. It means some people own up to a situation he created while others wish to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la,la,la,la,la,la".
Theres a big difference sitting in a room interviewing with Dorsey, Haley, and Hue (well maybe not hue), than Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine, no?

I highly doubt Dorsey would have drafted him had he thought it was a problem. I highly doubt this staff did not do their homework, and actually interview and investigate this kid.

History has no bearing here, because this is not the same regime. That's a fact.
Anyone know what time and what channel the press conference is today?
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Here's the difference between all of us and John Dorsey: we know more about the BROWNS than he does. we have a dang good feel for the culture, organization, fans, and what's not worked well here.

This was meant to be in purple right? If it's the losing culture we know more about than Dorsey, it's a good thing he's the GM. And it doesn't matter what hasn't worked here before because its just different. Two different people. I guess we shouldn't have drafted Myles Garrett because Courtney Brown didn't work out here. And we shouldn't draft any wide receivers because Braylon wasn't super. And we shouldn't draft any QB with a strong arm because DA sucked.

Your reasoning is so flawed.

Not to mention that Dorsey knows way more about football than any of us. And I'm sure he gets the Browns. All he has to know is that we want to win. Duh

I hope you're right. If it doesn't work out we can start a Midget wrestling team with Baker and Ward.

How tall do you need a CB to be?
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06

I keep hearing this about him being a walk-on. Why do we care again? What does that mean about his future success or lack thereof in the NFL? Is it supposed to be a feel-good story? Supposed to tug on the heart strings? Awww poor wittle kid, nobody liked him and he tried and tried and tried.... Like who gives a rip? NOBODY CARES!

And please, let's stop with the "Heisman" thing. It's like saying a guy won his conference in HS so he's going to be a good NFL QB. It has about the same amount of correlation. Need I remind everyone of this list -

Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin III
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Carson Palmer
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Danny Wuerffel
Charlie Ward
Gino Torretta
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware

And that's just going back to 1987. So that's 20 Heisman winning QBs. 18, not including the 2 from this draft. I count 3.5 who had any modicum of success in the NFL. Palmer, Bradford, Newton (who is crazy over-valued) and 1/2 for Mariota (still TBD). So 3.5/18 is a 19% success rate.

Might as well say you threw a dart and it landed on Baker. It would hold more statistical weight.

As for winningest QB in college? Yep, Tebow and McCoy are calling. Maybe we should draft Blake Sims. At least he won a national championship at Alabama - something Baker never did. I mean if it's all about "winning in college".

No Nancy, talking about him being a walk on is to demonstrate that the kid works his butt off. You don't go from walk-on to starter to Heisman winner by not studying in the film room, or putting the time and effort in to learning.

That is the biggest thing to separate him from Manziel. This kid works his butt off to be good, and that wasn't Manziel at all.

That's a FACT.
Outside of the on-field antics, an arrest and the short stature, I haven't seen much in common between the two.

Manziel was a lazy moron with personal demons, and I don't see much of that in Mayfield.

Hopefully the cockiness dissipates once he hits the scene (it usually does).
Theres a big difference sitting in a room interviewing with Dorsey, Haley, and Hue (well maybe not hue), than Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine, no?

I highly doubt Dorsey would have drafted him had he thought it was a problem. I highly doubt this staff did not do their homework, and actually interview and investigate this kid.

History has no bearing here, because this is not the same regime. That's a fact.

That sounds fine in theory. But what you're trying to do here is compare a meeting in sound environment to the adrenaline filled atmosphere of a football game. There really is no comparison of the stark contrast between the two.

And you keep trying to argue something that isn't in question. The events I outlined, in fact DID occur. Those same actions would get you suspended in the NFL. Those are not debatable in any way, shape or form. It's a non starter.

Now with that said, it is my hope this will not be an issue. It's my hope it's simply an issue of youth that will not persist. That he is and has going down the road of maturity. I mean isn't that what we all hope for?

You haven't seen me say it will be an ongoing issue. You haven't seen me predict bad things to come. So I'm not so sure what it is you keep going on about.

But I'm not so naive not to recognize that it has been an issue. I'm not so naive not to have some concern about it. It seems as though you believe that a kid can show you a pattern and on one magical day when he is drafted that he turns into a butterfly from a caterpillar. That's not how any of this works.

Maturity is a process and I'm sure we all hope that this process is far enough along that we won't have to deal with such antics in the future.
Did you know that if you take an extra drop step back its the equivalent to BM being 6foot8?'

did you know he has never had an problem seeing over the line in college, a line that is taller than our line now?

True, but a QB steps up in the pocket...no?

True, but a QB steps up in the pocket...no?

Here’s what i want to know lll if baker is 6’1” and taking an extra step back makes him 6’8” ... if he takes a step up like u suggest does that make him 5’6” .... naughtydevil
Hell, if he took two steps back it would make him 7'3!

I guess if he just turns and runs from the defense by the time he gets back 10 or 12 yards he’ll be like 20’ tall or something. Who can tackle that?

I guess if he just turns and runs from the defense by the time he gets back 10 or 12 yards he’ll be like 20’ tall or something. Who can tackle that?

Hey that used to be my strategy on Madden! No huddle, hurry up, shotgun, hail mary. Take the snap and immediately sprint backwards about 10 yards so I never had to worry about the rush....then just throw it as far as I could.

I mean it works on there, why not in reality here? Maybe Lord Dorsey is onto something!
So out of that list, I'll say these guys are franchise guys:
Watson, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Carr, Luck, Prescott, Cousins.

We haven't really seen enough of Trubisky, Mahomes, Garroppolo, or Goff to make a call there, but I'll give you half.

So 10 guys out of 63 (I was wrong on the first count) ... that's 16% success rate. Just about the same as 1 Russell Wilson out of 6 other short guys.

Which is what skews the statistics.. to find 64 QBs 6'2" or taller you have to go back to 2012... to find 64 QBs under 6'2" you are going to back to freaking Fran Tarkenton...
© DawgTalkers.net