Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Actually, I hope you guys keep whinning and crying like you are. Baker is the type of kid that loves that. He loves to prove people wrong, and has done it his whole life on the field.

Were you holding your crotch when you typed that?

"on no, lets pass on a potential star cause he got emotional as a 20somthing kid in a big game"

p. manning was putting his crotch on womens head in the weight room in college, I don't think its a big deal as you may think. Unless of course, you just jealous of what hes grabbing....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Perpetual unhappiness. Some must keep it rolling...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that's the only time he acted like an azzhat. What about beaning an opponent in the head with a football? What about running from the cops?

I understand he's our guy. I will support him. But when will some of you quit acting like his poor behavior is a one time deal? There is cause for concern.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
you know, At 2pm yesterday, Before the start of the draft, I was in the car and the local radio started talking about the draft.

They went into the Josh Allen racial tweets story, and transitioned so badly that for 3 or 4 minutes I thought Josh Allen had been revealed as the Browns #1 overall pick.

Now my heart was unhappy, but in those 3-4 minutes I had accepted it and figured the team must have had some plan to get the most out of it.

Even accepted the fact that Mayfield was going to go to the Jet's at 3 and put up 35+ points against the Browns on week 3 on Thursday night.

Baker Mayfield is the Qb I wanted, because Baker Mayfield is the Best Qb in this draft and he's going to be the most successful.

Everybody (teams) wanted him, The Cardinals, Saints, Bills, Broncos's Jet's .
I dunno.

The Browns have only picke a Qb with their "top pick" one other time in my memory, even since 87, Tim Couch.

And in 01' the Browns were not looking to get a Qb, because the Qb wasn't a question mark.

Baker Mayfield is the guy! I hope the team has a long sense of continuity with
Mayfield, Dorsey, Haley, and Greg Williams, ...and Hue(errr) can oversee it if it starts to equal wins.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I figure he was reminded by our interviewers that it's seriously time to handle himself like a man.
Can he and will he is yet to be seen. Focus that stuff on football son...

D
Legend
Legend
D
deleted

Last edited by Dave; 04/27/18 12:05 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm just not a whiner.

Your posts in the political forum suggest otherwise ... naughtydevil ...

His character is definetly something to be questioned ... he’s made some DUMB, INMATURE decisions .... im hoping he matures and makes better decisions ... thats completely possible .. he needs to control his temper ....

He has questions ... THEY ALL DID ...

He was my 3rd choice ... it is what it is ...

LETS HOPE TABBERS RIGHT .... thumbsup

CONGRATS TABBER ... u best be right bro ... wink

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Yeah, that's the only time he acted like an azzhat. What about beaning an opponent in the head with a football? What about running from the cops?

I understand he's our guy. I will support him. But when will some of you quit acting like his poor behavior is a one time deal? There is cause for concern.
ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Will Baker Mayfield be given as much rope to boom or bust as Myles Garrett has been or will be given?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Everybody (teams) wanted him, The Cardinals, Saints, Bills, Broncos's Jet's.

Maybe those five (and even that's a guess) but certainly not everyone.

Quote:
Former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly, now with NFL Network, polled 24 league executives to gauge the best quarterback prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft.

According to Casserly, 17 of those executives prefer USC quarterback Sam Darnold, 3 prefer Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, 2 prefer UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen and 2 prefer Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen. When he tallied the votes, from first to fourth, Darnold was first followed by Allen, Mayfield and Rosen.

Once again, the Browns FO being "smarter" than over at least half the league. And we dont know what the other third thinks.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Will Baker Mayfield be given as much rope to boom or bust as Myles Garrett has been or will be given?
what??????

what rope has he been given, the dude literally sacked a guy on his first play of the game. lol

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
His character is definetly something to be questioned ... he’s made some DUMB, INMATURE decisions .... im hoping he matures and makes better decisions ... thats completely possible .. he needs to control his temper ....

He has questions ... THEY ALL DID ...

He was my 3rd choice ... it is what it is ...

LETS HOPE TABBERS RIGHT .... thumbsup

CONGRATS TABBER ... u best be right bro ... wink

Actually he was my third choice as well. I certainly hope Tab is right too. You have to love his intensity as long as he can keep it in check.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I watched a lot of film last night and into the day on Baker. He clearly has some nice qualities. I think if he were one inch taller, Noone would be upset. I think if he had no off field troubles/compared to JM, even less upset about the pick.

Kid can sling the ball though. I see a little of that Farve comparison a lot of people used.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's what we have to hope for. That he's smart, savvy, gutty, and crafty enough to overcome his size & speed to win games. At this point, it's wait and see.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Playing in the AFC North where all they do is defense, I'm afraid he's going to get killed.

The 4 teams in the AFC North last year finished in total defense:

15 - Bengals
19 - Browns
21 - Ravens
28 - Steelers

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Our division is not that good anymore ... its actually ripe for the taking ...

I expect to either finish in 2nd or be a game out at most ...

Pitt is the best but there not all that ... there BEATABLE ... VERY BEATABLE ...

Cinci and Balt aren’t very good anymore ... they’ve both went steadily downhill over the last 3 or so years ... i believe were better than both of them RIGHT NOW TODAY ....

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
You're comparing him to Kizer? How many of the QBs you named play in this division?

Joe Flacco 4.84
Ben 4.75
Andy 4.82
Mayfield4.81

(kind weird ben had the fastest time out that bunch)

anywho.... anything else?

Was Ben running To, or Away from the nightclub bathroom when they clocked that 40 time? rofl

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Ben doesn’t have to run while on the field. He can throw with 300 pound guys draped on him. He can stand tall in the pocket at 6’5” and see over a collapsing pocket.
Two things Baker won’t be able to do. Run. Not run. Don’t matter.
We chose poorly. I hope I’m wrong but... Jason White 2.0 with behavior issues is what I see. Jason didn’t get drafted.

[Linked Image]
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
I am a TCU season ticket holder and have watched Baker several times. TCU's defense typically ranks as on of the top in the country and is usually very fast. He comsistently picked them apart, because TCU would shut down the running game most times. You can say he is short, but his O line was plenty tall and he rarely had a pass batted down. Good vision down the field on the run and has a fairly quick release. Bottom line he wins a lot of games and his team mates love him! If you play or root against him you dislike him a great deal!!

His style will take some maturing to make it as a pro but he has a lot of heart and winning cures a lot of issues.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I wanted Darnold and Chubb but I'm not upset with whom we picked because I believe they are good players also. I've been a Browns fan for over 50 years and am entitled to my opinion but it doesn't make me a talent evaluater. Does anyone on this board think they know more than John Dorsey and our scouting staff? I know I don't. I have faith in what they have done so far and what they will do in the next 2 days. Build us a winner!!

D
Legend
Legend
D

Most fans spent 2 hours looking at other people's reviews and assessments, they spent months day in and day out doing homework. I pray it finally transforms into a franchise QB.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I wanted Darnold and Chubb but I'm not upset with whom we picked because I believe they are good players also. I've been a Browns fan for over 50 years and am entitled to my opinion but it doesn't make me a talent evaluater. Does anyone on this board think they know more than John Dorsey and our scouting staff? I know I don't. I have faith in what they have done so far and what they will do in the next 2 days. Build us a winner!!
Here's the difference between all of us and John Dorsey: we know more about the BROWNS than he does. we have a dang good feel for the culture, organization, fans, and what's not worked well here.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Frogman
I am a TCU season ticket holder and have watched Baker several times. TCU's defense typically ranks as on of the top in the country and is usually very fast. He comsistently picked them apart, because TCU would shut down the running game most times. You can say he is short, but his O line was plenty tall and he rarely had a pass batted down. Good vision down the field on the run and has a fairly quick release. Bottom line he wins a lot of games and his team mates love him! If you play or root against him you dislike him a great deal!!

His style will take some maturing to make it as a pro but he has a lot of heart and winning cures a lot of issues.

Colt McCoy
Johnny Manzel
Kody Kessler
Baker Mayfield

We are on mission to prove that physically challenged QBs' can play in this League.

I guess we are do to get one right.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

About 4 or 5 of the best QBs on the planet right now are sub 6'2"

Of the last 64 QBs taken under 6' 1" 3 have been franchise QBs.

Of the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller how many have become franchise QB's

I don't have time to list them all GM.

You can't count to 5 or 6?

2 Mannings Rothelisberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Winston, Cam, Carr, Jimmy G, Rivers, Goff, Luck, Cousins, Wentz,Brady. That all I can think of off the top of my headGM

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: edromeo
You're right. People love to speak in quick soundbite generalizations these days....who has time for distinctions.

Baker comes from a spread-read option offense and will face a big transition to an NFL offense.

This is true.

But Baker brings remarkable production, accuracy and efficiency.

Which means very little when projecting to the NFL. If it did - Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware, Troy Smith etc. would all be HOF NFL mainstays.

He can also escape/create in the face of pressure.

At the college level. Not at the NFL level. Not big enough, not fast enough. Just not even close to athletic enough. He's half the athlete Manziel was and Manziel wasn't athletic enough.

I think Baker will put in the work to make the transition.

Let's hope so. How many crotch grab reps can he fit in during minicamp in Berea? Maybe he can put in the work so that next time he can outrun the cops in Parma. Here's to hoping.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 04/27/18 01:17 PM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In my book franchise takes you to Superbowls and wins rings. Otherwise your a teams QB. Narrows that field down instantly.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I know, But, NFL success is not a democracy.

and I don't trust anybody in New York cares about what's best for Cleveland in sports.

NO Worries, because Baker Mayfield is the best Qb in this draft, he's going to turn the Browns into a better team,

And in a few months everybody's going to see this Guy play, and everybody's going to get on board.

Baker Mayfield = nanner nanner nanner

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by Knight Of Brown:

Quote:
This may be the worst pick in the history of the Browns. They had 2 QB’s(Rosen, Darnold) and one cant miss player in Barkley...all they had to do was turn in the card on one of those 3 guys and they would not have screwed up the pick.

I think it's very possible these players directly (or indirectly through their agents) made it clear they will not be happy playing for the Browns.

If that's the case, experience has shown drafting such players is a huge mistake.

Unfortunately, I think many Browns players are already there.

I think "Professionalism" in the NFL in the 21st century is warped.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I'm just happy they didn't trade the pick away. He shouldn't be starter for a year or two anyways.

Moving on.

That's what they keep saying publicly, but do you honestly believe this merry band of idiots led by the arrogant SOB Lord Dorsey? No way.

Not only will Johnny Mayfield play this year, I wouldn't be shocked in the least to see him starting week 1.

Might as well just rip this band-aid off.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I know, But, NFL success is not a democracy.

and I don't trust anybody in New York cares about what's best for Cleveland in sports.

NO Worries, because Baker Mayfield is the best Qb in this draft, he's going to turn the Browns into a better team,

And in a few months everybody's going to see this Guy play, and everybody's going to get on board.

Baker Mayfield = nanner nanner nanner

I hope you're right. If it doesn't work out we can start a Midget wrestling team with Baker and Ward.

Legend
Legend
I like how before the draft, and we were being mocked to pick Allen, everyone was all, "Dear Gawd, don't pick a guy because of measurables!"

So then we pick Mayfield and now it's, "Dear Gawd, we picked a midget!"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd quit watching altogether before I got so worked up over this.
Good Lord walk away and save your mental health...

I wasn't replying to you cfrs15...sorry.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 04/27/18 01:41 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I like how before the draft, and we were being mocked to pick Allen, everyone was all, "Dear Gawd, don't pick a guy because of measurables!"

So then we pick Mayfield and now it's, "Dear Gawd, we picked a midget!"

i liked Allen's measurable just not his accuracy. I was a Darnold guy all the way. Big strong and accuracy, mature and Blue collar. I drank warm milk and cried myself to sleep last night.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i liked Allen's measurable just not his accuracy. I was a Darnold guy all the way. Big strong and accuracy, mature and Blue collar. I drank warm milk and cried myself to sleep last night.

My issue with Darnold is his decision making. I just think he's very raw

He has a knack for big plays, but he also threw these passes that left me baffled. Like, what the heck was he think

I certainly think Darnold could improve his decision making with experience and coaching, but it's why he was third on my rankings. There were holes in the mental aspects of the game with him IMO

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 04/27/18 01:44 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Boy there is a cornucopia of bad takes in here right now. Not the least of which is the height stuff.

About 4 or 5 of the best QBs on the planet right now are sub 6'2"

Of the last 64 QBs taken under 6' 1" 3 have been franchise QBs.

Of the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller how many have become franchise QB's

I don't have time to list them all GM.

You can't count to 5 or 6?

2 Mannings Rothelisberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Winston, Cam, Carr, Jimmy G, Rivers, Goff, Luck, Cousins, Wentz,Brady. That all I can think of off the top of my headGM

I thought you were going to give us franchise QBs out of the last 64 over 6'2"... there are 8 or 9 taken a year so you can only count the ones drafted since about 2009.
So Flacco, Matt Ryan, Rodgers, 2 Mannings, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brady... all off the list.

And putting Cousins on there is a bit of a stretch, what has he won? Goff has finished exactly one decent season, Luck has started 22 games in the last 3 years, Jimmy G has started 6 games....

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
And putting Cousins on there is a bit of a stretch, what has he won?

A hugeass contract! grin

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Maybe you can help me with something.

Both Mayfield and our FO say he is a winner, but I was looking at his bio, and with the exception of individual awards, has he won anything?

Deshaun Watson was a winner, we was the national Champion, but what did Mayfield win to classify himself has such?
He is the only kid to ever WALK on a team, and become a Heisman winner. He is the winningest QB in college if I am not mistaken coming out. He has overcome everywhere he has been. That's what they mean.

I keep hearing this about him being a walk-on. Why do we care again? What does that mean about his future success or lack thereof in the NFL? Is it supposed to be a feel-good story? Supposed to tug on the heart strings? Awww poor wittle kid, nobody liked him and he tried and tried and tried.... Like who gives a rip? NOBODY CARES!

And please, let's stop with the "Heisman" thing. It's like saying a guy won his conference in HS so he's going to be a good NFL QB. It has about the same amount of correlation. Need I remind everyone of this list -

Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin III
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Carson Palmer
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Danny Wuerffel
Charlie Ward
Gino Torretta
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware

And that's just going back to 1987. So that's 20 Heisman winning QBs. 18, not including the 2 from this draft. I count 3.5 who had any modicum of success in the NFL. Palmer, Bradford, Newton (who is crazy over-valued) and 1/2 for Mariota (still TBD). So 3.5/18 is a 19% success rate.

Might as well say you threw a dart and it landed on Baker. It would hold more statistical weight.

As for winningest QB in college? Yep, Tebow and McCoy are calling. Maybe we should draft Blake Sims. At least he won a national championship at Alabama - something Baker never did. I mean if it's all about "winning in college".

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Here's the last 64 QB's 6'2 or taller since 2012:

Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
DeShone Kizer
Davis Webb
C.J. Beathard
Joshua Dobbs
Nathan Peterman
Brad Kaaya
Chad Kelly
PLAYER
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch
Christian Hackenberg
Jacoby Brissett
Connor Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones
Kevin Hogan
Nate Sudfeld
Jake Rudock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brandon Doughty
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley
Trevor Siemian
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Logan Thomas
Tom Savage
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron
Zach Mettenberger
David Fales
Keith Wenning
Garrett Gilbert
EJ Manuel
Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert
Sean Renfree
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Lindley
B.J. Coleman
Chandler Harnish

On a side note, I removed only 6 guys that were "under", and one of them was Russell Wilson. So that's a 17% success rate. wink

Legend
Legend
So out of that list, I'll say these guys are franchise guys:
Watson, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Carr, Luck, Prescott, Cousins.

We haven't really seen enough of Trubisky, Mahomes, Garroppolo, or Goff to make a call there, but I'll give you half.

So 10 guys out of 63 (I was wrong on the first count) ... that's 16% success rate. Just about the same as 1 Russell Wilson out of 6 other short guys.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.

I don't know much about these guys coming out of college so I can't really speak to anyone's ability or offer my own opinions on a projection for success.

Having said that, I'm not really concerned at this point with complaints of his attitude.

Truth be told, if give the choice between a young Qb who's going in to a game wide eyed and gets shell shocked versus a guy who's going to play like his big brass ones are too big... I'd take the latter. I'd love to see someone in Cleveland with the passion of a Phillip Rivers, even if it leads to a flag or two. I'm tired watching offenses that get punked out.

And in regards to the 'behavioral' stuff... it's a good thing he doesn't have to be put on the field right away. He'll easily sit behind TT for a season or more (which would be ok) before he gets the keys to the car. That's plenty of time for him to learn about professionalism.

JMO

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard