Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, that's the only time he acted like an azzhat. What about beaning an opponent in the head with a football? What about running from the cops?

I understand he's our guy. I will support him. But when will some of you quit acting like his poor behavior is a one time deal? There is cause for concern.
ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.

I don't know much about these guys coming out of college so I can't really speak to anyone's ability or offer my own opinions on a projection for success.

Having said that, I'm not really concerned at this point with complaints of his attitude.

Truth be told, if give the choice between a young Qb who's going in to a game wide eyed and gets shell shocked versus a guy who's going to play like his big brass ones are too big... I'd take the latter. I'd love to see someone in Cleveland with the passion of a Phillip Rivers, even if it leads to a flag or two. I'm tired watching offenses that get punked out.

And in regards to the 'behavioral' stuff... it's a good thing he doesn't have to be put on the field right away. He'll easily sit behind TT for a season or more (which would be ok) before he gets the keys to the car. That's plenty of time for him to learn about professionalism.

JMO

I year or TWO? He’ll be nearing his 26th Birthday in two years. I hope he’s grown up some by then.
Meanwhile Darnold will be almost as old as Baker is now in that time and he’s already more mature.
But Browns.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

I year or TWO? He’ll be nearing his 26th Birthday in two years. I hope he’s grown up some by then.
Meanwhile Darnold will be almost as old as Baker is now in that time and he’s already more mature.
But Browns.

Which means that in 15 more years of playing, he'll be just about the same age as Tom Brady is right now.

Age is just a number.... especially when you're that young.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Age may be a number but maturity isn’t. Hence my comparison of Darnold at his age, 20, and Baker at his, 23. Baker acts a fool. Darnold is calm, collected, and professional. .

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
ill worry about it when its a problem. at this point, its not. its the NFL now, he either needs to realize that or he will suffer. we will see. im not gonna and moan like 5 year old who just spilled his ice cream cone though.

And I'll stop worrying about it when it stops becoming a problem. And in case you missed it, it's just a logical concern. His history has shown us that. Some try to ignore it, but that's their problem.

I'm not saying he can't or won't outgrow it. But he's not 20. It could go either way. As a Browns fan I certainly hope he does. But actually owning up to his actions and understanding he has had issues in his past has nothing to do with spilling an ice cream cone.

Let me tell you what it means. It means some people own up to a situation he created while others wish to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la,la,la,la,la,la".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yup, and I'm sure he'll grow out of it plenty quick.

He'll have fire, but be more "appropriate" with some guidance from veterans and the fact that he's going to be BUSY working... though, I would love to see him plant an orange & brown flag on the 50 of Heinz Field.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Is that a grass field or turf? Considering the last debacle he may want to do a little homework first.. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Yup, and I'm sure he'll grow out of it plenty quick.

He'll have fire, but be more "appropriate" with some guidance from veterans and the fact that he's going to be BUSY working... though, I would love to see him plant an orange & brown flag on the 50 of Heinz Field.

Yuck. As much as I want to beat the Steelers I want even more for us to beat them then walk off the field quietly, like it was expected, and celebrate in the locker room. Not act like a frat party dumped onto the field and celebrate like a bunch of punks. Act like we’re professionals. Not pull the punk crap TO pulled in Dallas.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That sounds like a great fairy tale rendition, but I'd just like to win for once -- and if after that emotions are running super high, then by all means, roll with it.

I've had so little to cheer about, or be pleased in any way about, with this franchise that I wholeheartedly welcome any genuine show of emotion.... or anything that gives me reason to have any sort of positive emotion.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
That sounds like a great fairy tale rendition, but I'd just like to win for once -- and if after that emotions are running super high, then by all means, roll with it.

I've had so little to cheer about, or be pleased in any way about, with this franchise that I wholeheartedly welcome any genuine show of emotion.... or anything that gives me reason to have any sort of positive emotion.

Agree, except any form of positive emotion I'd have from actually beating Pittsburgh would immediately be replaced by shame and disgust if the above ever happened. No thanks.

But let's be real. Mayfield ain't beating Pittsburgh anytime soon so no need to worry about this hypothetical.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: 442Dawg
I started looking at this thread to get some clarity and to relax a little, because I really wanted Darnold. And I think I'm getting it. From Mayfield's supporters, I'm seeing all the things I'm saying about him. He wins, he's accurate, he lit up the college game, he beat OSU, he played well against Georgia, and he has the best stats in almost every category in college, he's intelligent and reportedly good at the whiteboard, and he started 3+ years.

From the haters, I'm seeing nothing but ridiculous posts about how he's Manziel, he's short, he's not good under pressure, that he's not fast, and that he won't be able to turn the corner on NFL defenses.

He's not Manziel. Dorsey and company wouldn't have drafted him if he was. Trust their process. Dorsey would not hang his hat on a lazy substance abuser.

He is short for a QB, but that hasn't hampered him so far.

He is good under pressure. He actually rates the best under pressure.

He is just as fast as the other QB's in our division, as pointed out by Willit.

He doesn't need to turn the corner on NFL defenses because he's not a running QB. This comment was the one I found most ridiculous.
we finally agree lol.

I just don't get the arguments being thrown around that completely false and proven so, yet they still keep saying it. lol

The same guys bashing Baker, were all in on Cody Kessler, yet Mayfield is more accurate than cody, has a much better arm, and much more mobile. I don't get it.

Football is easier to agree on and we can forget about life for a while.

As for all the haters, they're allowed to hate, as we're allowed to be optimistic. The only thing that will bring us all together on Baker, and to silence the Johnny comparisons, is winning. If Baker can win here, we will all love him. Every single one of us.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
-Tim Robbins as Merlin in Top Gun
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Darnold is calm, collected, and professional. .
and throws the ball to the other team.....

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Ben doesn’t have to run while on the field. He can throw with 300 pound guys draped on him. He can stand tall in the pocket at 6’5” and see over a collapsing pocket.
Two things Baker won’t be able to do. Run. Not run. Don’t matter.
We chose poorly. I hope I’m wrong but... Jason White 2.0 with behavior issues is what I see. Jason didn’t get drafted.
Did you know that if you take an extra drop step back its the equivalent to BM being 6foot8?'

did you know he has never had an problem seeing over the line in college, a line that is taller than our line now?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yuck. As much as I want to beat the Steelers I want even more for us to beat them then walk off the field quietly, like it was expected, and celebrate in the locker room. Not act like a frat party dumped onto the field and celebrate like a bunch of punks. Act like we’re professionals. Not pull the punk crap TO pulled in Dallas.

If that clown tries to pull that flag planting crap at Heinz Field he will get his ass kicked and good. As he should. Time to act like a professional athlete and not some college punk.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

And I'll stop worrying about it when it stops becoming a problem. And in case you missed it, it's just a logical concern. His history has shown us that. Some try to ignore it, but that's their problem.

I'm not saying he can't or won't outgrow it. But he's not 20. It could go either way. As a Browns fan I certainly hope he does. But actually owning up to his actions and understanding he has had issues in his past has nothing to do with spilling an ice cream cone.

Let me tell you what it means. It means some people own up to a situation he created while others wish to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la,la,la,la,la,la".
Theres a big difference sitting in a room interviewing with Dorsey, Haley, and Hue (well maybe not hue), than Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine, no?

I highly doubt Dorsey would have drafted him had he thought it was a problem. I highly doubt this staff did not do their homework, and actually interview and investigate this kid.

History has no bearing here, because this is not the same regime. That's a fact.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Anyone know what time and what channel the press conference is today?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I wanted Darnold and Chubb but I'm not upset with whom we picked because I believe they are good players also. I've been a Browns fan for over 50 years and am entitled to my opinion but it doesn't make me a talent evaluater. Does anyone on this board think they know more than John Dorsey and our scouting staff? I know I don't. I have faith in what they have done so far and what they will do in the next 2 days. Build us a winner!!
Here's the difference between all of us and John Dorsey: we know more about the BROWNS than he does. we have a dang good feel for the culture, organization, fans, and what's not worked well here.

This was meant to be in purple right? If it's the losing culture we know more about than Dorsey, it's a good thing he's the GM. And it doesn't matter what hasn't worked here before because its just different. Two different people. I guess we shouldn't have drafted Myles Garrett because Courtney Brown didn't work out here. And we shouldn't draft any wide receivers because Braylon wasn't super. And we shouldn't draft any QB with a strong arm because DA sucked.

Your reasoning is so flawed.

Not to mention that Dorsey knows way more about football than any of us. And I'm sure he gets the Browns. All he has to know is that we want to win. Duh

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I know, But, NFL success is not a democracy.

and I don't trust anybody in New York cares about what's best for Cleveland in sports.

NO Worries, because Baker Mayfield is the best Qb in this draft, he's going to turn the Browns into a better team,

And in a few months everybody's going to see this Guy play, and everybody's going to get on board.

Baker Mayfield = nanner nanner nanner

I hope you're right. If it doesn't work out we can start a Midget wrestling team with Baker and Ward.

How tall do you need a CB to be?

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Maybe you can help me with something.

Both Mayfield and our FO say he is a winner, but I was looking at his bio, and with the exception of individual awards, has he won anything?

Deshaun Watson was a winner, we was the national Champion, but what did Mayfield win to classify himself has such?
He is the only kid to ever WALK on a team, and become a Heisman winner. He is the winningest QB in college if I am not mistaken coming out. He has overcome everywhere he has been. That's what they mean.

I keep hearing this about him being a walk-on. Why do we care again? What does that mean about his future success or lack thereof in the NFL? Is it supposed to be a feel-good story? Supposed to tug on the heart strings? Awww poor wittle kid, nobody liked him and he tried and tried and tried.... Like who gives a rip? NOBODY CARES!

And please, let's stop with the "Heisman" thing. It's like saying a guy won his conference in HS so he's going to be a good NFL QB. It has about the same amount of correlation. Need I remind everyone of this list -

Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin III
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Carson Palmer
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Danny Wuerffel
Charlie Ward
Gino Torretta
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware

And that's just going back to 1987. So that's 20 Heisman winning QBs. 18, not including the 2 from this draft. I count 3.5 who had any modicum of success in the NFL. Palmer, Bradford, Newton (who is crazy over-valued) and 1/2 for Mariota (still TBD). So 3.5/18 is a 19% success rate.

Might as well say you threw a dart and it landed on Baker. It would hold more statistical weight.

As for winningest QB in college? Yep, Tebow and McCoy are calling. Maybe we should draft Blake Sims. At least he won a national championship at Alabama - something Baker never did. I mean if it's all about "winning in college".

No Nancy, talking about him being a walk on is to demonstrate that the kid works his butt off. You don't go from walk-on to starter to Heisman winner by not studying in the film room, or putting the time and effort in to learning.

That is the biggest thing to separate him from Manziel. This kid works his butt off to be good, and that wasn't Manziel at all.

That's a FACT.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Outside of the on-field antics, an arrest and the short stature, I haven't seen much in common between the two.

Manziel was a lazy moron with personal demons, and I don't see much of that in Mayfield.

Hopefully the cockiness dissipates once he hits the scene (it usually does).

P
Legend
Legend
P
Theres a big difference sitting in a room interviewing with Dorsey, Haley, and Hue (well maybe not hue), than Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine, no?

I highly doubt Dorsey would have drafted him had he thought it was a problem. I highly doubt this staff did not do their homework, and actually interview and investigate this kid.

History has no bearing here, because this is not the same regime. That's a fact.

That sounds fine in theory. But what you're trying to do here is compare a meeting in sound environment to the adrenaline filled atmosphere of a football game. There really is no comparison of the stark contrast between the two.

And you keep trying to argue something that isn't in question. The events I outlined, in fact DID occur. Those same actions would get you suspended in the NFL. Those are not debatable in any way, shape or form. It's a non starter.

Now with that said, it is my hope this will not be an issue. It's my hope it's simply an issue of youth that will not persist. That he is and has going down the road of maturity. I mean isn't that what we all hope for?

You haven't seen me say it will be an ongoing issue. You haven't seen me predict bad things to come. So I'm not so sure what it is you keep going on about.

But I'm not so naive not to recognize that it has been an issue. I'm not so naive not to have some concern about it. It seems as though you believe that a kid can show you a pattern and on one magical day when he is drafted that he turns into a butterfly from a caterpillar. That's not how any of this works.

Maturity is a process and I'm sure we all hope that this process is far enough along that we won't have to deal with such antics in the future.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ben doesn’t have to run while on the field. He can throw with 300 pound guys draped on him. He can stand tall in the pocket at 6’5” and see over a collapsing pocket.
We chose poorly. I hope I’m wrong but... Jason White 2.0 with behavior issues is what I see. Jason didn’t get drafted.
Did you know that if you take an extra drop step back its the equivalent to BM being 6foot8?'

did you know he has never had an problem seeing over the line in college, a line that is taller than our line now?

True, but a QB steps up in the pocket...no?

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

True, but a QB steps up in the pocket...no?

Here’s what i want to know lll if baker is 6’1” and taking an extra step back makes him 6’8” ... if he takes a step up like u suggest does that make him 5’6” .... naughtydevil

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hell, if he took two steps back it would make him 7'3!

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

I guess if he just turns and runs from the defense by the time he gets back 10 or 12 yards he’ll be like 20’ tall or something. Who can tackle that?

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I guess if he just turns and runs from the defense by the time he gets back 10 or 12 yards he’ll be like 20’ tall or something. Who can tackle that?

Hey that used to be my strategy on Madden! No huddle, hurry up, shotgun, hail mary. Take the snap and immediately sprint backwards about 10 yards so I never had to worry about the rush....then just throw it as far as I could.

I mean it works on there, why not in reality here? Maybe Lord Dorsey is onto something!

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
So out of that list, I'll say these guys are franchise guys:
Watson, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Carr, Luck, Prescott, Cousins.

We haven't really seen enough of Trubisky, Mahomes, Garroppolo, or Goff to make a call there, but I'll give you half.

So 10 guys out of 63 (I was wrong on the first count) ... that's 16% success rate. Just about the same as 1 Russell Wilson out of 6 other short guys.

Which is what skews the statistics.. to find 64 QBs 6'2" or taller you have to go back to 2012... to find 64 QBs under 6'2" you are going to back to freaking Fran Tarkenton...

yebat' Putin
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard