Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
The guys who know this answer, have already answered this question.

Tyrod was already named the starter by Hue and company.

Only way Baker starts is with injury.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I think we'd have to have a Seattle situation with Wilson where Tyrod performs so poorly and Mayfield so well that there is no justification to the rest of the team. I think there is a small chance of that happening so I think we roll with Tyrod at least through bye week and go from there. Dorsey seemed just as adamant as Hue of having Baker sit, watch, learn and soak it in before getting him out there. Baker said all the right things as well

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Mayfield will start game #1. I don't have any doubt about this.

Hard to argue with your record.

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: wojo_dew
I think we'd have to have a Seattle situation with Wilson where Tyrod performs so poorly and Mayfield so well that there is no justification to the rest of the team. I think there is a small chance of that happening so I think we roll with Tyrod at least through bye week and go from there. Dorsey seemed just as adamant as Hue of having Baker sit, watch, learn and soak it in before getting him out there. Baker said all the right things as well

Putting off starting him until after next year keeps Dorsey employed another year. If/when Baker fails Dorsey is unemployed.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the plan right now is to play Tyrod Taylor all year.

Right now Stanton is the backup.

In camp, if Mayfield progresses quickly then I think he will be the backup.

Preseason should be fun.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Winning or lack of will determine when Baker gets his chance. Cleveland is starved for wins and if Tyrod is winning games, he will start. If he is not winning, Baker will get his chance. It's as simple as that.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
well Hue just said "Tyrod is the starter ... could a player overtake him? yeah"

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If Baker gives us a better chance of beating Pittsburgh, then Baker starts.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

You knew it was coming.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

You knew it was coming.

Even if Tyrod ends up starting week 1, it was nonsensical for Hue to give him the nod as the starter the day Taylor was traded for. Anything can happen. And now he has begun walking it back.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

You knew it was coming.
yep

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I wish Kizer was still here, sorry Drew Stanton, I don't know why.

Kizer, Tyrod, then Baker. A clear cut depth chart, which can change.

Depodesta is still the chief strategy officer???

I don't know how there can be any logical strategy that extends back 12 months to one week prior to last years draft.

And includes cutting Kizer, who started 15 games for you last year, no wonder this team is dysfunctional.
I know he threw interceptions, but we at least know what we have in him.

You went from having no quarterback who has ever won a game on your roster, to having no quarterback who has ever played a game in your jersey on your roster.
OIC, Only in Cleveland. Depodesta, I don't get it, you are the chief strategy officer, explain it.

There isn't one, I know. Back at square 1, we've been at square 1 for 20 years!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I just hope that we find a way to recoup the 3rd round pick we paid for Taylor if Mayfield wins the position in camp.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I just hope that we find a way to recoup the 3rd round pick we paid for Taylor if Mayfield wins the position in camp.
The only way obviously would be to a QB needy team (maybe if an injury occurs in TC)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I could have swore that they came out and said that Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB. and there won't be a QB competition.

did I miss read that?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
I could have swore that they came out and said that Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB. and there won't be a QB competition.

did I miss read that?
they certainly did, but that was before we drafted Baker. Once the card was turned in, everything changed.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

did I miss read that?
they certainly did, but that was before we drafted Baker. Once the card was turned in, everything changed.

NO it didn't. If we're SMART at this.

Thinking about this, Taylor and Stanton are PERFECT for MAYFIELD. Both PROFESSIONAL. Both can show Mayfield exactly how you act ON and OFF the field. In the meeting room.

Jackson needs to IGNORE the fans and the media. Go with this depth chart into the season:

Taylor
Stanton
Mayfield

Let him watch. Get a feel for preparing for games. Feel what game days are like. When Mayfield is deemed COMFORTABLE with the playbook, then and ONLY THEN do you elivate him to #2.

THAT'S gonna happen at some point. He then becomes ONE PLAY AWAY.

And when that One Play Away happens, whether it be Taylor going down, record or whatever, you turn this over to MAYFIELD and you DON'T LOOK BACK.

The KEY here is to make him the #2 when he's READY to be given the keys to this Offense on any given play. NOT BEFORE.

I don't care how much some love MAYFIELD, the FACT remains that he's got a HUGE adjustment to make from his Oklahoma Offense to Haley's NFL Offense. He needs TIME.

It's crucial that the day he's elivated to the #2 spot, that he's READY to take over for good on any given play.

Legend
Legend
'Baker Mayfield 3rd on depth chart and Tyrod Taylor will lead the Browns, says Hue Jackson'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

Legend
Legend

did I miss read that?

No. Then Hue came out and said that Taylor is the starting qb, but that could change. Now we'll hear the Baker chants the first time Taylor throws an incompletion or INT. banghead

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent

did I miss read that?

No. Then Hue came out and said that Taylor is the starting qb, but that could change. Now we'll hear the Baker chants the first time Taylor throws an incompletion or INT. banghead

"Hee hee!" Hee hee!"

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Taylor starts the season. Stanton starts the season as back-up. For the first few games, I might not even activate Mayfield.

As the season goes on, Baker becomes the back-up and then it goes where it goes.

If Mayfield starts next year, it shouldn't happen before game 8 or so.

I do think he will get some extended action as the season marches on to have him ready to take over in 19. That is unless TT and the team are playing well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

did I miss read that?

Hue said it, which means it can change with whoever is winding him up to start the day.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think that as long as Hue is HC - this year - Tyrod will start, because Hue needs wins to keep his job. Taylor is a FA next year, so Mayfield better be ready to take over then. I say all this with the caveat that Dorsey won't be the texting kind of GM. If the FO pressures Hue to start Mayfield, then I'm not holding Hue responsible for the W-L record.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hue said he made a commitment to the team. Is that commitment to start Tyrod no matter what or is that commitment to winning and doing what's best for the franchise.

Seems like a lot of people want it to be the former.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Hue said he made a commitment to the team. Is that commitment to start Tyrod no matter what or is that commitment to winning and doing what's best for the franchise.

Seems like a lot of people want it to be the former.

i just listen to him.. he said whats best for team lol. not hard to understand is it?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

You present that like its an "either/or" proposition, but I think its the same either way. IMO, the Browns best chance to win games in 2018 is to start Tyrod Taylor, and I'm pretty sure Hue would say the same. Its a moot point anyway, because Hue reiterated yesterday that Taylor is his starting QB.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Brown's will leave it up to Mayfield to decide if he feels like starting.

Why bother the coaching staff or front office?

"Nah, I don't feel like starting. Maybe next year."

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It definitely could be both. But to start tyrod just because you want to sit Baker isn't the answer.

It's all on Hue now. He's the one with the job on the line.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Time will tell. Guess we'll find out.

Legend
Legend
Commitment to start TT as announced to avoid the nonsense a QB controversy and media circus brings to Berea. Media seems delighted to stir it up at Cleveland's expense.

We named a starter. The kid sits and has seen the worth of that. Hope he shows us a bunch. But there is no 'no matter what' yet. I want to see the kid improve and TT lead.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really have a feeling that Mayfield lights it up in preseason.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
I really have a feeling that Mayfield lights it up in preseason.

A reminder....Kiser looked pretty good in preseason.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
True. I don't think we should start him if he does light it up.

It may move him to #2 on the depth chart though.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave
I think that as long as Hue is HC - this year - Tyrod will start, because Hue needs wins to keep his job. Taylor is a FA next year, so Mayfield better be ready to take over then. I say all this with the caveat that Dorsey won't be the texting kind of GM. If the FO pressures Hue to start Mayfield, then I'm not holding Hue responsible for the W-L record.

I think the FO probably hinted to Hue that TT is the starter if everybody already didn't know that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
the news would read Jackson names Mayfield starter
Dorsey names Williams hc for remainder of season
Williams names Taylor starter

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

If Baker starts, I'll call for all of them to be fired. Even if it works. Have we learned nothing from being the only team who consistently thrusts their rookie quarterback in to the starting role only to watch them struggle greatly?

Can we please not ruin another rookie? Mayfield isn't going to whither and die if he spends a year on the bench. It can only help.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
This has all the makings of the typical Cleveland Train Wreck.

The chances of Mayfield being the answer are about 1%....the guy just isn't that talented.

Mayfield ran a 4.84 40....Josh Rosen who is a flipping statue ran a 4.85 40 LOL!!!!!

If anything the Browns should have used a pick on the cop who tackled Mayfield...guy looked like a better prospect then Baker.

Mayfield is short, has an average arm, and is slow....this won't work out well for the Browns....Rosen, Allen, and Darnold were all 6-3 or more, big guys...with big arms...the rest of the NFL is laughing at us....Mayfield has the least chances of working out of all the QB...we made a mistake...a BIG ONE

Josh Rosen will be the best QB to come out of UCLA since Aikman in 89

in 18 months or so its going to become apparant how much we screwed this up....If we absolutely had to ahve a QB at one, it should have been Rosen...maybe Darnold...but leaning towards Rosen...Baker may be the biggest bust since Leaf....

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Who starts at QB now?

Tyrod

Baker starts ..... 1st string clipboard.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
Who starts at QB now?

Tyrod

Baker starts ..... 1st string clipboard.

And sponging up knowledge hopefully.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unless Tyrod has us 4-4 or better at the mid point, I think it's going to be very hard to keep Mayfield off the field...field field sounds strange but yeah.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who starts at QB now?

Link Copied to Clipboard