Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
It sounds like Corbett can play just about anywhere on the line. One place I saw his draft profile had him listed as a Center. I like the versatility, but that's kind of something you want for a backup roll. Not a guy you hope to start at LT, or replace a guy that's going to play LT out of their natural position.

Zegura on the radio (I'm watching the Indians on TV - muted - and listening to 92.3's draft show) also said that Corbett might be groomed to replace Tretter at C. Apparently, the guy can play anywhere on the OL.

(BTW, Indians, with Kluber pitching, are up 3-0 in the 3rd.)

Legend
Legend
i dont typically like drafting guys who are jack of all trade type

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What if...

Corbett takes over at center
Trotter moves out to LT
We draft LT's replacement next year

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Wolf said we'll work Austin Corbett at tackle and guard and it's up to coaches where he plays"

"Wolf said Austin Corbett will have more value if he can play tackle for #Browns: If Austin's able to be the left tackle, that would be great"

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/990016137185423360

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 04/27/18 08:08 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
We need starters when we draft in the 2nd round, not a guy who may be just a fill in player.

He could be s starter.

Maybe we move him to center and move Tretter to LT. ?

D
Legend
Legend
D
IDK where he will play, but I hope he plays well there.

I'm not sure we should go the Irving route with him and make him learn multiple positions from the start. I think it damages them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
IDK where he will play, but I hope he plays well there.

I'm not sure we should go the Irving route with him and make him learn multiple positions from the start. I think it damages them.

Eh, they said he's real smart. Didn't seem to effect Spencer Drango

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. I really hope they have a plan for him when camp begins no matter what that is.....you should not be picking reserves with the 1st pick of the second round......he better start somewhere.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Agree.

Edit: maybe not start right away, but have a clearly defined position/role early in.

Last edited by lampdogg; 04/27/18 08:13 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This is another blown draft pick. No value here. Hernandez at #34 was a much better pick than this kid.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mayock said Corbett beat out Bitonio at LT so my guess is Corbett was drafted to play LT....FWIW

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
This is another blown draft pick. No value here. Hernandez at #34 was a much better pick than this kid.

Not if this guy can play tackle. We already have two solid starting guards........

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
I think we'll just have to wait for an explanation from Dorsey and Hue on this one

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Good Gaurd prospect.

Does it make sense if you consider?

Do you think they are going to pay Kevin Zeitler a gazillion dollars a year for unlimited years after they paid so much to Jarvis Landry this offseason.

Future considerations.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Is Hernandez a LT - No. We do not need a Guard. This guy is LT.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If this guy can man the LT spot for the foreseeable future , then this pick works.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
[quote=pfm1963]Considering the first two picks, this one, also bad, does not surprise me.

Ok guy from the soapbox.....who would you have selected?

Now some can call you a idiot.

Call me what you want, I could care less.

I would have picked Harold Landry with one of our second rounders (33 or 35), since Dorsey fell asleep at the wheel with he fourth pick and chose Ward over Chubb. [/quote/]

Ward was the best Cb on the board. Chubb was the best Db. Had we not taken Garrett last year we prolly take Chubb. We have Garrett and now Cb becomes a bigger need. Just becasue Mayock or Kipper have him higher in the rankings that means squat when you building a team and filling holes. He was the best player at his position that fit our need. That sums it up!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Lance Zierlein's comp for this guy is John Greco. I'll take that.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
lol this team is something else.

Dude you're usually more rational. Snap out of it, give these players a chance.

I made this post thinking that it was ridiculous to draft a college LT, who is a projected to be an NFL guard due to his size, instead of drafting Nelson at 4 and trying Bitonio out at tackle. However, Bitonio stated previously that no one has talked to him about playing tackle. Corbett reminds me a lot of Bitonio, but I really haven't studied anyone I didn't consider a starting left tackle.

Having a few hours to simmer on this, I actually am turning around on this pick. I knew he was Bitonio's teammate at Nevada, but I didn't know they are good friends. I also wasn't aware that he was a college walk-on. To me, that signals that he will be great addition culturally to the team. The offensive line has always been a rather close-knit group and hearing that he's already a friend of Bitonio and a very hard worker means he'll fit right in. My second though is that with the quicker and faster edge rushers in the NFL, some teams are going with smaller, more agile tackles. I think David Bakhtiari is also 6'4 and he's a great tackle. Duane Brown is also 6'4. I'm hoping that Joe will be working with him, Roderick and Shon a lot this offseason.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Lance Zierlein's comp for this guy is John Greco. I'll take that.
I would too, but let's also hope that a LT is on the roster

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Agreed. I really hope they have a plan for him when camp begins no matter what that is.....you should not be picking reserves with the 1st pick of the second round......he better start somewhere.

I don't know that he has to start. You have to consider the entire unit.

He has started at LT for 3 years. Is projected at guard in the NFL due to average arm length, and played at center in the senior bowl. The scouting report says he can play from LT to RT and is NFL ready. Maybe we plan on him at RT? Or center.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I have to believe there is a plan for Corbett either as LT or C or maybe the regime doesn't value having two of the highest paid guards in the league and they plan to cut or trade one in 2019...something to think about as I don't think Zeitler did much to justify his contract in 2017

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
OR they want to have a O-lineman that can step in and play ANY of the five positions without the line missing a beat cool

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
U can never have enough OLman ... hopefully the kid pans out and is a contributor for the next 5 - 10 years ...

I would have rather went with Oliver or Landry here .... but ever since that little BRADY bump in the road they haven’t called ... wink

D
Legend
Legend
D
It was tough witht he OLman this year ... we needed tackles BIGTIME and it was a WEAK ASS TACKLE CLASS ... and i mean WEAK ...

This draft set up very very well for us in a lot of ways and i’m By no means complaining ... the lack of tackles was by far the biggest negative in this draft for us ...

If someone of Nelsons caliber at gaurd would have been there as a LT ... that would of been as easy a pick as when we took Joe ...

Oh well ... u can’t have it all ...

Just a BAD DRAFT to be a tackle needy team ...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Jester
What if...

Trotter moves out to LT

We re-signed Reiter and up until his injury they were high on him. He looked good too in that game against Washington.

I think he was brought in to compete for LT. We now have Coleman, Drango, Johnson and Corbett all competing for LT. Not a bad mix. But, at 33? Unless the Browns thought the Giants were going to take Corbett it seems we could have got an immediate starter and Chubb at 33/35 and Corbett later? But, Highsmith and Wolf are high on the kid. I hope so.

The Bucs traded up to get the tackle out of Humboldt State. He is a huge kid and he flattened all of his competition. The problem is...his competition is D2 how will he fare in the NFL against significantly bigger, faster and stronger guys and is he worth trading up to get him in the 3rd? I guess they too will soon find out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Corbett scouting report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27693...and-browns-pick

POSITIVES

—Three-year starter at left tackle but played both center and guard at the Senior Bowl.

—Scouts raved about his football IQ and awareness. Considered NFL ready.

—Overall good athlete with the right build (6'4", 306 lbs) to play anywhere from left guard to right tackle in the NFL.

—Lateral agility is great, and he plays with the burst and body control to be exceptional as a pulling guard.

—One scout called him a finesse player, but the tape shows a finisher with a mean mentality in the run game.

—Can lock on and drive linebackers in the run.

—Experience at left tackle gave him a developed kick-slide and mirror.

NEGATIVES

—Arm length is average for a tackle prospect (33 ⅛").

—Bench-press numbers at the combine (19 reps) were well-below the NFL threshold.

—Surrenders his chest to long-armed defenders.

—Can be set up by double moves and will get caught off balance in his set.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
All the negatives other than arm length can be corrected. He can get stronger in the weight room and we have a guy named Joe Thomas that can teach him. Good solid pick that can turn inti our future LT.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
All the negatives other than arm length can be corrected. He can get stronger in the weight room and we have a guy named Joe Thomas that can teach him. Good solid pick that can turn inti our future LT.

Thomas always said he was never as big nor as strong as his competition. He won through leverage. If he can help teach that to our tackles that would be gold.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
What if...

Trotter moves out to LT

We re-signed Reiter and up until his injury they were high on him. He looked good too in that game against Washington.

Good point

I think he was brought in to compete for LT. We now have Coleman, Drango, Johnson and Corbett all competing for LT. Not a bad mix. But, at 33? Unless the Browns thought the Giants were going to take Corbett it seems we could have got an immediate starter and Chubb at 33/35 and Corbett later? But, Highsmith and Wolf are high on the kid. I hope so.

I think the Giants very well might have taken him.
FWIW - NFLDratCountdown.Com had him as their #33 overall prospect

The Bucs traded up to get the tackle out of Humboldt State. He is a huge kid and he flattened all of his competition. The problem is...his competition is D2 how will he fare in the NFL against significantly bigger, faster and stronger guys and is he worth trading up to get him in the 3rd? I guess they too will soon find out.

On a typical day my sister could level half those guys, if the game was "at the right time" she could level them all

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's what I'm talking about. Who better to teach our young guys about tackle play than one of the greatest of all time JT!!! He can't help us as a player anymore but he sure can as a teacher and he will. Joe Thomas is still an MVP to our Browns!!! The P now stands for person.

Legend
Legend
If we are taking a flyer on this kid, then it is a quality flyer it seems to me. Has played it, can fill multiple spots, and it has to be somebody with some skills. We won't have another JT IMO for quite some time. So, a lesser mortal, for sure, but could be a sensible role guy if not lights out, who seems to have some ability.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The irony of being spolit with the best LT since 99 and a lineup of QBs who are amongst the worst. I know nothing about this kid but like all their selections I have to trust they know what they are doing.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

On a typical day my sister could level half those guys, if the game was "at the right time" she could level them all

Hey, that's not fair to Western Oregon, Azusa Pacific, Central Washington or Simon Fraser! wink

Actually, in all honesty...I hope the kid succeeds. What a great story. I have been on Humboldt State's campus twice as my son looked at it. They have a tiny stadium and in comparison to bigger Universities their gym pales in comparison. If that kid succeeds it is down to hard work, motivation and great ethic. Also, their football department is often on the cutting line due to not too many kids there really care about FB and by having a kid get drafted...it may well have saved them for a year. That said, if they are throwing money into it when it could be better spent...that is an issue. But, another argument for a different time/place/thread.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You haven't met my sister

Legend
Legend
yeah the tackles were basically nonexistent in this one

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Maybe I missed something. I keep seeing all of these comments about JT working with our OL. Did we hire him as a coach? What makes people think our retired LT is going to devote his time to helping train our draft pick?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
He's said it himself, most recently on Dan Patrick Show

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
J/C ..... the 33rd overall pick, unless a QB, has to start day 1.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I don't think that he has to start 'day one', but he should become one.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I agree. Getting someone at 33 or 35 should be immediate impact. If they aren't it's a waste

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Austin Corbett with the 33rd overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard