DawgTalkers.net
O-line
kick him inside? wtf
I think we'll just have to wait for an explanation from Dorsey and Hue on this one
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
kick him inside? wtf

He's got to be a tackle. Either that or Bitonio moves outside. If not it's a very strange pick.
Or they are kicking Bitonio outside.......weird pick. He's solid inside, but I don't see how he plays outside
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
I think we'll just have to wait for an explanation from Dorsey and Hue on this one

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Good Gaurd prospect.
Well he is a OT/OG so maybe he stays at T or Bitonio goes to LT ...
lol this team is something else.
I'm guessing RT.
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'm guessing RT.

That's the only thing I can think.

Except, why'd we sign that Hubbard guy? And what about Drango?
don't like ths one
Connor William's on the board and we pass on him twice? Ok now I'm worried. We needed a true left tackle. Bitoinio is a guard....and injury prone at that......doesn't make sense
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Dude you're usually more rational. Snap out of it, give these players a chance.
Originally Posted By: slick
Connor William's on the board and we pass on him twice? Ok now I'm worried. We needed a true left tackle. Bitoinio is a guard....and injury prone at that......doesn't make sense

Maybe there's something about Connor Williams that we don't know about
I think he plays LT.
He has to play LT, because Hernandez is really a better Guard.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
He has to play LT, because Hernandez is really a better Guard.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm willing to bet the analysts don't know much about this guy.

And the plan is for him to play LT. At least to compete with Coleman
Yeah, he's soft.
Originally Posted By: cle23
Yeah, he's soft.

Who's soft?
I'm ok with this pick. JT left a big hole and we need to shuffle our line around.

I think you mean Dorsey, but Dorsey may see him as a tackle.

If not, why is Durango so special..

I actually like Spencer.....he was the guy who came to mind.
Considering the first two picks, this one, also bad, does not surprise me.
Originally Posted By: cle23
Yeah, he's soft.

Who's soft?

Sorry, I hit quote.

Connor Williams.
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

Ok guy from the soapbox.....who would you have selected?

Now some can call you a idiot.
They have him listed on the home page as a OT.

I did not see this coming.

Mayock had him as his 45th top player, but if we think he can play OT, then he is probably good value at the top of round 2.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I think you mean Dorsey, but Dorsey may see him as a tackle.

If not, why is Durango so special..

I actually like Spencer.....he was the guy who came to mind.

Yeah. I get the feeling we value Drango more than the Browns. Not sure why.

Drango steps in and plays wherever he's asked. Guard and tackle. He'll do whatever.

I hope we cut Stephenson and Rodrick Johnson before Drango
Nathan Zegura on the radio says the Browns are calling him a "Tackle/Guard". I have no idea what that means in terms of where he'll play, but 33 is very high for a backup guard to be taken, so I have to believe they intend to try him at LT where he played at Nevada. Or else they really are thinking of moving Bitonio outside, as has been rumored.

Call me what you want, I could care less.

I would have picked Harold Landry with one of our second rounders (33 or 35), since Dorsey fell asleep at the wheel with he fourth pick and chose Ward over Chubb.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants...-2018-nfl-draft

Somewhat interesting read on him
Originally Posted By: Dave
Nathan Zegura on the radio says the Browns are calling him a "Tackle/Guard". I have no idea what that means in terms of where he'll play, but 33 is very high for a backup guard to be taken, so I have to believe they intend to try him at LT where he played at Nevada. Or else they really are thinking of moving Bitonio outside, as has been rumored.

Don't fix what works. Keep Bitonio at LG

Don't fix what works. Keep Bitonio at LG
yep agree

One of two things likely here, and others have called this out too
1) Coleman and Corbett will fight it out for LT
2) Bitonio will move to LT and we have a battle at LG.
How can anyone get mad about a kid who can play Tackle and Guard??? Keep Bitonio at LG and put this kid at left tackle.. OR right tackle.. Please.. another need pick
I like that Corbet and Bitonio are friends ..

Like it or not, there’s no denying the spotlight this week. Corbett will be noticed. He’ll follow in the footsteps of his friend and mentor Joel Bitonio, a former tackle at Nevada who was selected in the second round of the 2014 draft by the Cleveland Browns. He signed a $50 million contract extension last year. ~~ from espn.com
Originally Posted By: clwb419
One of two things likely here, and others have called this out too
1) Coleman and Corbett will fight it out for LT
2) Bitonio will move to LT and we have a battle at LG.

I choose option 1
It sounds like Corbett can play just about anywhere on the line. One place I saw his draft profile had him listed as a Center. I like the versatility, but that's kind of something you want for a backup roll. Not a guy you hope to start at LT, or replace a guy that's going to play LT out of their natural position.
"He's smart and just solid all the way around. Long time starter in the league. I think he'll end up at center." - AFC offensive line coach
So you could care less.

Again, we all have our picks, it doesn't mean we should get butt chapped because we aren't right
We need starters when we draft in the 2nd round, not a guy who may be just a fill in player.
nice
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
It sounds like Corbett can play just about anywhere on the line. One place I saw his draft profile had him listed as a Center. I like the versatility, but that's kind of something you want for a backup roll. Not a guy you hope to start at LT, or replace a guy that's going to play LT out of their natural position.

Zegura on the radio (I'm watching the Indians on TV - muted - and listening to 92.3's draft show) also said that Corbett might be groomed to replace Tretter at C. Apparently, the guy can play anywhere on the OL.

(BTW, Indians, with Kluber pitching, are up 3-0 in the 3rd.)
i dont typically like drafting guys who are jack of all trade type
What if...

Corbett takes over at center
Trotter moves out to LT
We draft LT's replacement next year
"Wolf said we'll work Austin Corbett at tackle and guard and it's up to coaches where he plays"

"Wolf said Austin Corbett will have more value if he can play tackle for #Browns: If Austin's able to be the left tackle, that would be great"

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/990016137185423360
We need starters when we draft in the 2nd round, not a guy who may be just a fill in player.

He could be s starter.

Maybe we move him to center and move Tretter to LT. ?
IDK where he will play, but I hope he plays well there.

I'm not sure we should go the Irving route with him and make him learn multiple positions from the start. I think it damages them.
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
IDK where he will play, but I hope he plays well there.

I'm not sure we should go the Irving route with him and make him learn multiple positions from the start. I think it damages them.

Eh, they said he's real smart. Didn't seem to effect Spencer Drango
Agreed. I really hope they have a plan for him when camp begins no matter what that is.....you should not be picking reserves with the 1st pick of the second round......he better start somewhere.
Agree.

Edit: maybe not start right away, but have a clearly defined position/role early in.
This is another blown draft pick. No value here. Hernandez at #34 was a much better pick than this kid.
Mayock said Corbett beat out Bitonio at LT so my guess is Corbett was drafted to play LT....FWIW
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
This is another blown draft pick. No value here. Hernandez at #34 was a much better pick than this kid.

Not if this guy can play tackle. We already have two solid starting guards........
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Good Gaurd prospect.

Does it make sense if you consider?

Do you think they are going to pay Kevin Zeitler a gazillion dollars a year for unlimited years after they paid so much to Jarvis Landry this offseason.

Future considerations.
Is Hernandez a LT - No. We do not need a Guard. This guy is LT.
If this guy can man the LT spot for the foreseeable future , then this pick works.
[quote=pfm1963]Considering the first two picks, this one, also bad, does not surprise me.

Call me what you want, I could care less.

I would have picked Harold Landry with one of our second rounders (33 or 35), since Dorsey fell asleep at the wheel with he fourth pick and chose Ward over Chubb. [/quote/]

Ward was the best Cb on the board. Chubb was the best Db. Had we not taken Garrett last year we prolly take Chubb. We have Garrett and now Cb becomes a bigger need. Just becasue Mayock or Kipper have him higher in the rankings that means squat when you building a team and filling holes. He was the best player at his position that fit our need. That sums it up!!
Lance Zierlein's comp for this guy is John Greco. I'll take that.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Dude you're usually more rational. Snap out of it, give these players a chance.

I made this post thinking that it was ridiculous to draft a college LT, who is a projected to be an NFL guard due to his size, instead of drafting Nelson at 4 and trying Bitonio out at tackle. However, Bitonio stated previously that no one has talked to him about playing tackle. Corbett reminds me a lot of Bitonio, but I really haven't studied anyone I didn't consider a starting left tackle.

Having a few hours to simmer on this, I actually am turning around on this pick. I knew he was Bitonio's teammate at Nevada, but I didn't know they are good friends. I also wasn't aware that he was a college walk-on. To me, that signals that he will be great addition culturally to the team. The offensive line has always been a rather close-knit group and hearing that he's already a friend of Bitonio and a very hard worker means he'll fit right in. My second though is that with the quicker and faster edge rushers in the NFL, some teams are going with smaller, more agile tackles. I think David Bakhtiari is also 6'4 and he's a great tackle. Duane Brown is also 6'4. I'm hoping that Joe will be working with him, Roderick and Shon a lot this offseason.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Lance Zierlein's comp for this guy is John Greco. I'll take that.
I would too, but let's also hope that a LT is on the roster
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Agreed. I really hope they have a plan for him when camp begins no matter what that is.....you should not be picking reserves with the 1st pick of the second round......he better start somewhere.

I don't know that he has to start. You have to consider the entire unit.

He has started at LT for 3 years. Is projected at guard in the NFL due to average arm length, and played at center in the senior bowl. The scouting report says he can play from LT to RT and is NFL ready. Maybe we plan on him at RT? Or center.
I have to believe there is a plan for Corbett either as LT or C or maybe the regime doesn't value having two of the highest paid guards in the league and they plan to cut or trade one in 2019...something to think about as I don't think Zeitler did much to justify his contract in 2017
OR they want to have a O-lineman that can step in and play ANY of the five positions without the line missing a beat cool
U can never have enough OLman ... hopefully the kid pans out and is a contributor for the next 5 - 10 years ...

I would have rather went with Oliver or Landry here .... but ever since that little BRADY bump in the road they haven’t called ... wink
It was tough witht he OLman this year ... we needed tackles BIGTIME and it was a WEAK ASS TACKLE CLASS ... and i mean WEAK ...

This draft set up very very well for us in a lot of ways and i’m By no means complaining ... the lack of tackles was by far the biggest negative in this draft for us ...

If someone of Nelsons caliber at gaurd would have been there as a LT ... that would of been as easy a pick as when we took Joe ...

Oh well ... u can’t have it all ...

Just a BAD DRAFT to be a tackle needy team ...
Originally Posted By: Jester
What if...

Trotter moves out to LT

We re-signed Reiter and up until his injury they were high on him. He looked good too in that game against Washington.

I think he was brought in to compete for LT. We now have Coleman, Drango, Johnson and Corbett all competing for LT. Not a bad mix. But, at 33? Unless the Browns thought the Giants were going to take Corbett it seems we could have got an immediate starter and Chubb at 33/35 and Corbett later? But, Highsmith and Wolf are high on the kid. I hope so.

The Bucs traded up to get the tackle out of Humboldt State. He is a huge kid and he flattened all of his competition. The problem is...his competition is D2 how will he fare in the NFL against significantly bigger, faster and stronger guys and is he worth trading up to get him in the 3rd? I guess they too will soon find out.
Corbett scouting report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27693...and-browns-pick

POSITIVES

—Three-year starter at left tackle but played both center and guard at the Senior Bowl.

—Scouts raved about his football IQ and awareness. Considered NFL ready.

—Overall good athlete with the right build (6'4", 306 lbs) to play anywhere from left guard to right tackle in the NFL.

—Lateral agility is great, and he plays with the burst and body control to be exceptional as a pulling guard.

—One scout called him a finesse player, but the tape shows a finisher with a mean mentality in the run game.

—Can lock on and drive linebackers in the run.

—Experience at left tackle gave him a developed kick-slide and mirror.

NEGATIVES

—Arm length is average for a tackle prospect (33 ⅛").

—Bench-press numbers at the combine (19 reps) were well-below the NFL threshold.

—Surrenders his chest to long-armed defenders.

—Can be set up by double moves and will get caught off balance in his set.
All the negatives other than arm length can be corrected. He can get stronger in the weight room and we have a guy named Joe Thomas that can teach him. Good solid pick that can turn inti our future LT.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
All the negatives other than arm length can be corrected. He can get stronger in the weight room and we have a guy named Joe Thomas that can teach him. Good solid pick that can turn inti our future LT.

Thomas always said he was never as big nor as strong as his competition. He won through leverage. If he can help teach that to our tackles that would be gold.
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
What if...

Trotter moves out to LT

We re-signed Reiter and up until his injury they were high on him. He looked good too in that game against Washington.

Good point

I think he was brought in to compete for LT. We now have Coleman, Drango, Johnson and Corbett all competing for LT. Not a bad mix. But, at 33? Unless the Browns thought the Giants were going to take Corbett it seems we could have got an immediate starter and Chubb at 33/35 and Corbett later? But, Highsmith and Wolf are high on the kid. I hope so.

I think the Giants very well might have taken him.
FWIW - NFLDratCountdown.Com had him as their #33 overall prospect

The Bucs traded up to get the tackle out of Humboldt State. He is a huge kid and he flattened all of his competition. The problem is...his competition is D2 how will he fare in the NFL against significantly bigger, faster and stronger guys and is he worth trading up to get him in the 3rd? I guess they too will soon find out.

On a typical day my sister could level half those guys, if the game was "at the right time" she could level them all

That's what I'm talking about. Who better to teach our young guys about tackle play than one of the greatest of all time JT!!! He can't help us as a player anymore but he sure can as a teacher and he will. Joe Thomas is still an MVP to our Browns!!! The P now stands for person.
If we are taking a flyer on this kid, then it is a quality flyer it seems to me. Has played it, can fill multiple spots, and it has to be somebody with some skills. We won't have another JT IMO for quite some time. So, a lesser mortal, for sure, but could be a sensible role guy if not lights out, who seems to have some ability.
The irony of being spolit with the best LT since 99 and a lineup of QBs who are amongst the worst. I know nothing about this kid but like all their selections I have to trust they know what they are doing.
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

On a typical day my sister could level half those guys, if the game was "at the right time" she could level them all

Hey, that's not fair to Western Oregon, Azusa Pacific, Central Washington or Simon Fraser! wink

Actually, in all honesty...I hope the kid succeeds. What a great story. I have been on Humboldt State's campus twice as my son looked at it. They have a tiny stadium and in comparison to bigger Universities their gym pales in comparison. If that kid succeeds it is down to hard work, motivation and great ethic. Also, their football department is often on the cutting line due to not too many kids there really care about FB and by having a kid get drafted...it may well have saved them for a year. That said, if they are throwing money into it when it could be better spent...that is an issue. But, another argument for a different time/place/thread.
You haven't met my sister
yeah the tackles were basically nonexistent in this one
j/c

Maybe I missed something. I keep seeing all of these comments about JT working with our OL. Did we hire him as a coach? What makes people think our retired LT is going to devote his time to helping train our draft pick?
He's said it himself, most recently on Dan Patrick Show
J/C ..... the 33rd overall pick, unless a QB, has to start day 1.

I don't think that he has to start 'day one', but he should become one.
I agree. Getting someone at 33 or 35 should be immediate impact. If they aren't it's a waste
Not necessary day 1, but if he isn't playing by the end of the year it isn't good. Personally, I think he is insurance for Coleman at LT and will probably beat him out there at some point.

If he can play LT then this is a good pick....if not they probably replace Tretter next year with. him a C. imho
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Not necessary day 1, but if he isn't playing by the end of the year it isn't good. Personally, I think he is insurance for Coleman at LT and will probably beat him out there at some point.

If he can play LT then this is a good pick....if not they probably replace Tretter next year with. him a C. imho

He might be an okay LT, but he could be an even better OC...I saw a comp of him in a scouting report comparisons to Bitonio...that's pretty good company.
Quote:
Austin Corbett was the 2nd or 3rd ranked offensive tackle for multiple teams. Didn't know the #Browns did as well. He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Better prospect than Joel Bitonio, and could get a shot at left tackle.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/990006802459844608
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Austin Corbett was the 2nd or 3rd ranked offensive tackle for multiple teams. Didn't know the #Browns did as well. He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Better prospect than Joel Bitonio, and could get a shot at left tackle.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/990006802459844608
that's a good sign
Hue Jackson said will try OL Austin Corbett at T and G. Said if need to shuffle line to put best group out there, we will. Said that could even include Joel Bitonio bouncing from LG to LT.
Who cares what Hue says? The guy is a joke. He looks like marionette up there.
I'm guessing RT.

The more I look RT is the this year possibility. Hubbard is like Barry Stokes and other guys like that. He's not a starter and the liklihood he becomes one this year is not high....he's a stop gap maybe at RT that won't get our QB killed.

But the more I look at this kid and the USAGE of the word CENTER from our Staff, Highsmith, Dorsey, etc. He could be the Center in waiting for Tretter, we were luck last year he didn't get hurt. Insurance this year but look possibly help at RT, but Center of our Future, he is pretty nasty. Good Run Blocker for RT, Hubbard good Pass blocker??? He was a LT in college which only means he has ok feet. I don't think he is a LT fingers still crossed for Shon Coleman. Right now he is our 6th guy. In the future I think he'll be our Center. Who knows maybe he ends up starting there. Interior of Bitonio, Corbett and Zeitler, nasty just nasty!
And Tretter was only signed for 3 years, so I think that this could be a selection with future forbearance. Preemptive as opposed to reactive initiative.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about Hue? For the 5000th time. lmao
I'm guessing RT.

The more I look RT is the this year possibility. Hubbard is like Barry Stokes and other guys like that. He's not a starter and the liklihood he becomes one this year is not high....he's a stop gap maybe at RT that won't get our QB killed.

But the more I look at this kid and the USAGE of the word CENTER from our Staff, Highsmith, Dorsey, etc. He could be the Center in waiting for Tretter, we were luck last year he didn't get hurt. Insurance this year but look possibly help at RT, but Center of our Future, he is pretty nasty. Good Run Blocker for RT, Hubbard good Pass blocker??? He was a LT in college which only means he has ok feet. I don't think he is a LT fingers still crossed for Shon Coleman. Right now he is our 6th guy. In the future I think he'll be our Center. Who knows maybe he ends up starting there. Interior of Bitonio, Corbett and Zeitler, nasty just nasty!

Chris Hubbard is not a stopgap or a backup. He is a legitimately good RT.
Not to mention he signed a 5/36 million contract with 15 million guaranteed. If we had to spend a 33 pick so he doesn't start someone needs canned...lol.

Corbett will get a chance to play LT. If he can't I imagine they will move to C and replace Tretter in 2019.....imo anyway.
U know Willie .. i think were gonna be hurting at LT next year ... but these guys tried ... there just wasn’t any good options ....seriously ... other than Soldjier in FA ... that was pretty much it for both RT and LT this year ....

I really want to get peed they didnt do more ... but i can’t .... i keep going back to “what the hell did u want them to do idiot” ... wink ...
Couldn't agree more Diam. We've really attempted: signed, drafted, I'm sure we were on the phones and tried to figure out other ways ... but this year's draft was PUTRID with OT's.
I'm not mad at all. Like I said if he can't cut it at LT he can be a stud C from all accounts.

There were no sure fire OTs this year, and as the saying goes you can't make chicken salad out of chicken.....you get it.

Maybe Corbett surprises?? If not Tretter is definitely upgradable. I won't even be that mad if Hubbard stinks.....like you said there wasn't a lot that we could do.

However, if they role out with Coleman at LT and the new kid at RT with 36 million dollar backup on the bench??? Somebody screwed up pretty big.
First look will probably be:

Coleman - Bitonio - Tretter - Zeitler - Hubbard

And then we'll see how Corbett fits in
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Quite the hyperbole Pit.
I went back and counted,
It has only been 4,367 times so far
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Quite the hyperbole Pit.
I went back and counted,
It has only been 4,367 times so far
So it's like 85% of your posts smile
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I'm guessing RT.

If I remember correctly, didn't Hubbard play some LT for Pittsburgh last year?
Just a recollection, I could be wrong
But if true, Corbett at RT and Hubbard at LT?
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I'm guessing RT.

If I remember correctly, didn't Hubbard play some LT for Pittsburgh last year?
Just a recollection, I could be wrong
But if true, Corbett at RT and Hubbard at LT?
Yes, Hubbard has played a little bit all over the line
If Corbett doesn't start week 1, then it was a wasted pick.
Every time you post it's a waste of our time
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

So GM, you are ok with taking an OL who may not even start,with the 33rd pick of the draft?
We have many holes to fill (starting positions), and addressing a probable backup OL before filling these holes where we need starters, does not sit well with me and we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

If Dorsey drafted him to start, then fine, I am ok with it. Where is he going to start, LT? That would be a stretch after seeing his film. RT, I would be ok with that. My point is he needs to be the starter after being the first pick of the second round. If he was a QB, then I would understand, but not an OL.

So should we also expect Mayfield and Ward to start from day 1?

I don't believe we should in any case, because that criteria will not determine their future ceiling.

That was never true in the past either, when few rookies ever started from day 1, let alone their rookie year.

If he never becomes a starter, then I think that you could then make that conclusion.

You never want to rush a young player into a role that he is not ready mentally for ...
Mayfield no, Ward yes.

So should we also expect Mayfield and Ward to start from day 1?

I don't believe we should in any case, because that criteria will not determine their future ceiling.

That was never true in the past either, when few rookies ever started from day 1, let alone their rookie year.

If he never becomes a starter, then I think that you could then make that conclusion.

You never want to rush a young player into a role that he is not ready mentally for ...

Agreed. The measure of a player's value is not how quickly he can be a starter, but how good he can be when he's ready to play. We live in a microwave world, people want instant results. If Corbett is a starter for 10 years, but that doesn't start until next year, it was a great pick. If he's never more than a 6th lineman, even if that starts this year, then it wasn't.

So GM, you are ok with taking an OL who may not even start,with the 33rd pick of the draft?
We have many holes to fill (starting positions), and addressing a probable backup OL before filling these holes where we need starters, does not sit well with me and we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

If Dorsey drafted him to start, then fine, I am ok with it. Where is he going to start, LT? That would be a stretch after seeing his film. RT, I would be ok with that. My point is he needs to be the starter after being the first pick of the second round. If he was a QB, then I would understand, but not an OL.

I am OK right now with EVERYBODY we picked in the draft. Will I be OK with all of them in 3 years??? Corbett will get a chance to COMPETE at LT, at guard, and maybe at center down the road.

Quote:
we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

Yes we do. I don't call players a bust on draft day, or the day after the draft. I don't pretend to know who will pan out on draft day, or the day after. I don't pretend to know more than any single GM in the NFL. I am willing to wait and see how these guys workout before I pass judgement, and I don';t expect every player drafted to be a Pro Bowl player or Hall Of Famer.

Look I pointed you out because you have sounded like a troll since the draft started.
Not to mention I think it was a good pick. The reports i have seen on the guy is scouts around the league loved him and say he is NFL ready.
J/C - I think no mere mortal can replace JT so whoever comes in after is being handed a slightly poisoned challice, expectations wise.

Drango did OK last year. If this dude can upgrade that play, we will be fine. Not JT near-perfection on an island but you average old NFL standard. If this guy is as advertised, he may actually pleasantly surprise if you let go of the spectre of JT's insane level of play.
Drango was ok in that he faced an impossible task, but he played pretty badly. I wouldn't freak out if he had to play a game or two here or there but for him to have to play the whole season would not be a good thing. He simply doesn't have the skills to be a high quality left tackle. He can be a backup, certainly, but not a starter.

I am OK right now with EVERYBODY we picked in the draft. Will I be OK with all of them in 3 years??? Corbett will get a chance to COMPETE at LT, at guard, and maybe at center down the road.

Quote:
we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

Yes we do. I don't call players a bust on draft day, or the day after the draft. I don't pretend to know who will pan out on draft day, or the day after. I don't pretend to know more than any single GM in the NFL. I am willing to wait and see how these guys workout before I pass judgement, and I don';t expect every player drafted to be a Pro Bowl player or Hall Of Famer.

Look I pointed you out because you have sounded like a troll since the draft started.

I am not a troll, been a Browns fan for almost 50 years. I did not call Corbet a bust. I just do not like the slot we took him. You are right, we will not know how all this pans out for a few years.
Went into the draft knowing we where going to have to reach and scramble for an LT prospect .. We just hope this is a hit not a miss .. either way , no hard feelings as it was a impossible task to replace JT just like 'THAT " !
There should be a few pretty highly touted LT prospects at the top of next year's draft

Greg Little Mississippi
Trey Adams Washington
Jonah Williams Alabama
David Edwards Wisconsin
Mitch Hyatt Clemson

Just a few guys to keep an eye on next college football season
If we don't find a long term answer at LT with the guys currently on the roster then one of these 5 will likey be a Cleveland Brown next year
Sight unseen, take the Wisconsin guy. They grow 'em good there.
Quote:
I am not a troll, been a Browns fan for almost 50 years. I did not call Corbet a bust. I just do not like the slot we took him. You are right, we will not know how all this pans out for a few years.

If you look closer bro I didn't say you were a troll, I said you sounded like one since the draft started. You bashed every pick we made except for the Linebacker, and Bashed Dorsey over, and over, and over, and over. I realize our picks didn't jive with who you wanted us to pick. I guess I should have been more understanding to your feelings, even though I didn't agree with them.
lot of SPECULATION about next years LT class , all good !
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
yeah, the OL and DL looks to be much deeper next year
Not to mention I think it was a good pick. The reports i have seen on the guy is scouts around the league loved him and say he is NFL ready.

I'll take a player who is being compared to Bitonio in any Draft @ pick 33.
I'll love the guy at " 33 " if he can excel at LT !

Or RT or center or guard. Could Bitonio play RT?

Plus, we don't know how Dorsey feels about any number of players. He may not like the cost. Maybe he doesn't like Coleman or either of the centers.

I am sure he didn't just grab this guy for no reason.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yeah, the OL and DL looks to be much deeper next year

The Oline has great depth, on paper. One of them will be able to perform competently at LT. It should take some time to gel, but I think we got it right so far...

@33 imo ... It doesn't matter the position so much as ... Is he going to be one of our best 5 offensive linemen in the future?

Corbett should still be able to fill a role, being touted as "ready to play", because of his football IQ, the mental gymnastics comes together quickly, which is an attribute that he shares with Bitonio and others who where able to start as rookies, because of their high football IQ, but that is not to say that they are/were developed.

Like most rookie OL, he will need to improve his core strength and experience is the best teacher.
Austin Corbett has improved our OL ... JMHO thumbsup
Quote:

If you look closer bro I didn't say you were a troll, I said you sounded like one since the draft started. You bashed every pick we made except for the Linebacker, and Bashed Dorsey over, and over, and over, and over. I realize our picks didn't jive with who you wanted us to pick. I guess I should have been more understanding to your feelings, even though I didn't agree with them.

I only bashed Dorsey over the draft, not the FA and trade moves. I liked those.

I agree with a lot of the picks, just not the slots they were taken.
My perspective is this;

I personally would have considered OC/OG Bill Price with this selection if available, but with the retrospect of future implications, because we probably would not have been in a hurry to make him the starter over who we already have in place there.

Now presented with a similar talent from the OL, and oh btw ... Might be able to play OT too, ... and not just an interior prospect, then I have to consider Corbett in the same light and given that he will be tried at OT, an even greater one.

JMHO
Billy Price went 21st overall to the Bengals
He was not available at pick 33
Billy Price went 21st overall to the Bengals
He was not available at pick 33

Would have ... meaning was thinking of ...
I know when he was drafted wink
So I was thinking Conner Williams with this pick, and it will be interesting to see how their careers go.

I do this with selections just to see how the obvious fares against the selection.
I would say between Highsmith, Wolf, and Hue none of them seemed to have an answer to where they see this guy playing. However, I would like to draw your attention to the draft phone call video on the website when the OL coach clearly points out that it will be or must be exciting to play next to Bitonio again. I am speculating he will get a quality look at playing LT first and center as a fall back.

I just don't see them moving Bitonio unless we are in dire straits. I am no expert by any means but while looking up Corbett I went straight to games I thought a guy from Nevada would struggle namely Notre Dame, Boise State, and Texas A&M. I was rather impressed he finishes his plays nasty, knows his assignments very well and played with good leverage from my vantage point. He certainly didn't shrink against those teams. I personally didn't see anything that said he couldn't do the same at a higher level. I of course noticed he played as #73 aswell.....perhaps the football Gods have been grooming him this whole time....cue the twilight zone music.
[img]https://usatdraftwire.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/usatsi_8818077.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1[/img]

Austin Corbett vs Myles Garrett
He did allow Garrett to get home twice that game back in 2015 but I would have to say overall he did fairly well against the future 1st overall. The more I watch this guy the more and more I see a bright future for him. I can certainly see why they regarded him so highly at the top of the 2nd round he is a gamer with some skills. Joe Thomas even stated when he started watching tape of the kid he was impressed with his feet but he could envision that he will start at RT and Coleman at LT and go from there after the season to see how it plays out.

Garrett just played so fast was impressive to watch which made Corbetts performance that much better.

I'll have that game on my watch list, thank you.
19 reps on the bench? He better be playing tackle.
I like him because he knows how to hold
Here's that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4oBEHjCRSc

Interestingly, on a play that matches that photo, Garrett disengaged and caught the runner from behind after a 25 yard gain. (Play starts about 10:10 in the video.)

Edited to add; Side note, Damion Ratley was 5 for 7 in this game. The 2 misses were uncatchable, one overthrown, one under. When he wasn't targeted, he was blocking. I saw no problem with his hands.
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Here's that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4oBEHjCRSc

Interestingly, on a play that matches that photo, Garrett disengaged and caught the runner from behind after a 25 yard gain. (Play starts about 10:10 in the video.)

Good man! Ty

That was my concern too. Guy seems like a good player who can fill multiple spots on the OL including OT, OG, even C... it's awesome to have those guys on the roster.. but taking one at 33? We aren't nearly good enough to be drafting depth at 33, we need guys who excel at something... Hopefully they have a plan for him...
yeah DC, I was a bit surprised also. Thought we were going for Daniels or Connor Williams.

I won't do the Homer bit here. I am confused on this pick at 33...OL has to start there. Unless they think it was a slam dunk for RT.

Center is not it as I first thought as Hue dispelled that in his presser when asked he said Center was just a back up thought and we expect him to compete for a OT or OG position.

I think its funny people can make a evaluation on an OL by their reps in the combine...lol laugh Its all about the power in the legs guys not ARMS and that just means that he's not a weight lifter. He still could be a gym rat and not be efficient in the press at the combine, I think that is probably the most useless of the tests they do.

they should do Olympic squats for a test. Talking OL here.

But I must say I saw a "LITTLE" film after the pick and wasn't that impressed but we must have seen something. From what I heard at the presser he caught our eye at the Senior Bowl cause he played multiple positions. Ok...but at 33???? You want a STARTER...I am a little confused. OL is an easy evaluation I hope these guys got it right. I know Hue n Dorsey was slapping 5 on the pick when made. Can only hope its a good one!
Got to see him in action when we start hitting.

jmho
Why are you assuming that he can't be a starter?

I mean I doubt we drafted him to be a backup.
Man I can't say anything without you going opposite.. First I'm lambasted for being a Homer on all our picks then when I'm questioning one I am...well at least how I took it as. Let me guess, that was a serious question not a slam on me?

OK...seriously. Well I saw film and I can pretty much say he won't start at LT that is for sure and easy to see since he played that position in college.

I'm thinking RT is possible cause of Hubbard who has never been anything but a back up in the pros, yeah he started for the Steelers cause of injury.

So he can compete there as I stated earlier so I don't know where you come up with he can't be a starter.

What I said is in our presser we praised him and gave the biggest reason for the pick cause of his versatility...well you don't really do that with a 33 OL pick.

Hue stated he won't go to start at Center but it would be for either OG or OT and didn't specify which one. It almost seemed like he would vie for LG and we would be moving Bitonio???

I didn't say he CAN'T be a starter we just didn't have a defined plan for him starting its seems...usually at 33 you know where he is going to play. That is where my "CONFUSED" comes from. So all I said was OL at 33 has to start there...again I NEVER SAID HE CAN'T BE A STARTER. Why push my buttons you guys really hate me that much? But you tell me, we had two pressers and the question was asked and nobody told us where this guy is most likely going to start. You GOT TO HAVE A PLAN if you are going to take somebody at 33 and start high fiving each other.

The key here isn't the proposed miss statement of me saying he CAN'T START, which I didn't, the important thing is that I am confused on the pick. Where...I can see as I said if they thought it was a slam dunk for RT, but why didn't they just come out with it???
I like the player but dont like the pick. Better players available and areas of need we could have addressed. This is a 6th man along the OL. no way does he play tackle at the next level. Mean nasty guard or maybe center but he doesnt have the feet and he he has short arms
I can safely say I have no idea where this kid could end up playing/what we plan to do with him...

What I do know is for the price we paid, he better end up playing somewhere and being darn good at it. Ideally, I like the rumors of him replacing Tretter.
I agree ... Why the Big secret?

They must have a plan, but does the secrecy = that they really don't have a plan?

Your guess is as good as mine ... Sorry if I implied differently.

My point is that if Corbett can become one of our starting five, then the pick will have been worth it. The Draft is as much about the future as it is for today.

I would hope that is why we drafted him @33.
... the biggest reason for the pick cause of his versatility...well you don't really do that with a 33 OL pick.

I agree with you...I thought the pick was "curious" to say the least. I like Corbett and I expect the FO well knows what they are going to do with him.
I am warming to this pick. Olineman are never sexy picks, but very necessary as the run on them early in the 2nd round proved. I think the reason why many of us were left scratching our heads is we probably all hoped for Oliver, Guice/Jones/Chubb, a DB or WR or even Hernandez. But, clearly he was the guy Wylie wanted because in an interview he is over the moon with the kid.

I like that Dorsey addressed specific needs and players for his coaches (Ward over Chubb for example and now so it appears w/Corbett).
We are heavily invested in the guard position. Maybe after this season we are looking to lower the amount
I sort of agree with you. I think people have to remember that both Tretter and Zeitler were signed by the previous regime.

Like many here, I'm not quite sure where Corbett fits in on the OL. What I certainly don't want to see is a hole be created by injury with a huge drop off in talent because of a lack of depth. However, as others have said, you don't invest a #33 pick for that.

I'd have to know the contract details and how much of a cap hit we would take if either Zeitler or Tretter were cut at years end but that could be the plan.
IDK, ...it's all conjecture, but I'm having a recall of an interview with Coach Hue Jackson (iirc) sometime during the post combine period.

It has to due with his reply on the subject of finding a replacement for Joe Thomas in the draft, with the question presented in a pessimistic, unbelieving tone, which was the dogma.

Hue's replied was ... that he wouldn't be so sure of that ... This planted a seed in my mind, that although he presented it in a confidential tone, that in itself is revealing, because it seemed to make him uncomfortable and mum on the subject of the question after that.

Tabber ... I know you said Corbett is not a LT, but I'm not going to rule that thought out Just yet.
I agree ... Why the Big secret?

They must have a plan, but does the secrecy = that they really don't have a plan?

Your guess is as good as mine ... Sorry if I implied differently.

My point is that if Corbett can become one of our starting five, then the pick will have been worth it. The Draft is as much about the future as it is for today.

I would hope that is why we drafted him @33.

Thanks, apologies for being paranoid...lol laugh

Definitely worth it if he's a starter. My main point is that I'm thoroughly confused. Usually OL I'm there. I didn't like the Erving pick and this seems similar...played LT in college he moved over to Center the analysts had him as the best Center. But he was not good at all. Versatile was the initial motive by the FO. I don't like Versatile at IMPACT 1st 2nd rounds of the draft.

Center...Hue pretty much said no that he would be competing at OG or OT. If Center was our PLAN I mean Daniels was there for us.

LT, Connor Williams was available and the best and maybe only candidate for the LT position in this draft.

OG, We got two Pro Bowl type OGs in Bitonio and Zietler.

To me it has to be RT but as noted we made the pick with over night to think about it. We have Dorsey and Hue high fiving it as Dorsey walked by and Hue was sitting down. To me that just says..."YEAH WE GOT OUR GUY", guy for what?

I think Shon has a very good shot at LT. So that leaves RT. As noted Hubbard is a backup who can play well. I sort of have disdain for that type of pick up as that is all we did in the 2000's until Joe Thomas. Guys who would start 3 games for the Packers and do well so they come here as a Starter and were so so mediocre. And here we go man down and Hubbard filled in nicely. So he comes here as a STARTER? I just don't see that going well. A pick up so we are not desperate for the draft?

I think and am worried that we had perceived certain players gone. Connor Williams, Daniels - and then didn't adjust as day 2 was starting??? I'm hoping we got that plan, don't know why they don't say something like he's going to get a chance to compete for the RT position.

Unless the plan all along is to move Bitonio over? Cause Hue stated OG or OT...OG would mean Bitonio moves over.

But that would be news to him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a starting OL of:
Shon Coleman, Corbett, Tretter, Zietler, Bitonio

But they have to be playing together like that from day one...so they are prepared mentally and physically for their duties. We can't just do it on paper and then the last couple of weeks come out with it.

Just thinking out loud here. I am confused with the pick. If the kid starts, great then I will understand and it most definitely will be a good pick.

Schwartz...we knew from day one he would be starting at RT. Bitonio another 2nd round pick OL we knew he would be starting at OG from day one.

Erving...we didn't know, he didn't know from day one he was the 6th man. Hoe did that turn out?

4th, 5th, 6th rounders I get it. Versatile and let the chips fall where they lie. But #33.

I try to understand all our picks...and nod yes even if they were not on my list. That was the purpose of my post, I am confused and in the past (Erving) versatile high up didn't turn out so good. Those knowing from day one where they were going to start, turned out fine.
jmho
I think that most teams think that Connor williams will be an OG, so I understand us passing on him, but yeah Dainels I thought is a good Center prospect, so thats why I am not ready to rule out Corbett at OT, because there where other options there @33. This leads me to believe that we hope that he can also step in at LT, (if) Coleman is not up to the job, or maybe Corbett could prove to be the better option, whereas before the Draft, Coleman was the only real foreseeable option.

In the event that Coleman works out, then at the very least we have and option at C/OG in the future.  He will be a starting OL for us at some point in the future, because he is good enough and smart enough to play the other positions, ... unlike Erving, who could not process the mental gymnastics.
If we decide to go with either Corbett or Bitonio at LT, I kind of hope it's Corbett, because I don't want to uproot 2 positions.

We can help the LT by sliding protections, and by using Fells on the left side, and/or by using the RB to either block, or chip and release. I don't want to minimize the LT position, but I think that there are a lot of ways to help that position, especially if the guy we wind up playing there has some experience there ..... and if the rest of the line remains consistent.
Austin Corbett v. Myles Garrett

He got smoked on the outside speed rush moves. Good post, thank you for sharing that.
If we decide to go with either Corbett or Bitonio at LT, I kind of hope it's Corbett, because I don't want to uproot 2 positions.

We can help the LT by sliding protections, and by using Fells on the left side, and/or by using the RB to either block, or chip and release. I don't want to minimize the LT position, but I think that there are a lot of ways to help that position, especially if the guy we wind up playing there has some experience there ..... and if the rest of the line remains consistent.

Yes, changing only one position is preferred.

LT is the only real question mark across the OL I think ... yes the RT still needs to be sorted out, but we have guys there.

I don't expect the team to produce a replacement of really a luxury that many teams never experience. Joe set the Bar, but we must prepare for less ... least we set our expectations too high.
He got smoked on the outside speed rush moves. Good post, thank you for sharing that.

And got no help from the QB (stepping up) RB? agaist a wide 7 look.

At least he altered his path. lol

But yeah Myles rang the bell. thumbsup

He rang the bell on a lot of other tackles lol. It's nice seeing someone stacked up against the best though. Myles was utterly dominating in college. If he got set and his hands on him, he showed some control against Garrett. Some other players not named Garrett had a speed rush go successful on him.

He rang the bell on a lot of other tackles lol. It's nice seeing someone stacked up against the best though. Myles was utterly dominating in college. If he got set and his hands on him, he showed some control against Garrett. Some other players not named Garrett had a speed rush go successful on him.

Also we need to keep in mind that the context is that, this game was played in 2015.

So Corbett was pretty green yet.
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
he he has short arms

His arms are 33 1/8, Joe Thomas's are 33 3/4. That's 5/8 of an inch. Does approx 1/2 an inch actually make a difference?

I'm still hoping he can compete for LT next year
Erving was just lousy feet and fit nowhere well enough. This kid will be a welcome challenger.
Quality talent and skill will usually find a place somewhere. Erving was like trying to force a fix to work out.

Welcome aboard! Win us some games!
Agree ... its about the feet ... Erving’s SUCKED ... looks like KC’s counting on him to be a starting gaurd for them this year ... good luck with that ... rofl ...

Hopefully this kid has WAY BETTER FEET and the only thing him and Erving have in common is that were not sure where they would play coming out ... thumbsup
Speaking of the devil ... guess i was wrong about them counting as him as a starter ... *L* ... oooops ....

Cameron Erving - T - Chiefs

Chiefs declined OL Cameron Erving's 2019 team option.

The former No. 19 overall pick in the 2015 draft, Erving was acquired from the Browns last summer and made four starts -- three at right guard and one at left tackle -- while amassing 276 snaps. He's simply competing for a job this year, but Erving's ability to play all five spots makes him valuable.

Source: Mike Garafolo on TwitterMay 2 - 8:37 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Speaking of the devil ... guess i was wrong about them counting as him as a starter ... *L* ... oooops ....

The former No. 19 overall pick in the 2015 draft, Erving was acquired from the Browns last summer and made four starts -- three at right guard and one at left tackle -- while amassing 276 snaps. He's simply competing for a job this year, but Erving's ability to play all five spots makes him valuable.

... rofl ...

I thought he more than held his own against Garrett, who's probably the best speed rusher he's ever going to see. It seems like he was getting beat a little bit more towards the end of the game, when his legs were probably getting tired. But for a big chunk of the game, I thought he kept Garrett pretty well in check.

I wonder if they got any input from Garrett on what it was like to go against him? I'm also curious if Joe Thomas was asked about guys that he thought could hack it at LT?
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I thought he more than held his own against Garrett, who's probably the best speed rusher he's ever going to see. It seems like he was getting beat a little bit more towards the end of the game, when his legs were probably getting tired. But for a big chunk of the game, I thought he kept Garrett pretty well in check.

I wonder if they got any input from Garrett on what it was like to go against him? I'm also curious if Joe Thomas was asked about guys that he thought could hack it at LT?

Yes, I agree ... He won some of the battles, which is encouraging.
Reading between the lines:

Browns guard Joel Bitonio showed Austin Corbett the ropes back when they were teammates at Nevada.

Now reunited in Cleveland, Corbett - the 33rd overall pick in this year's NFL Draft - is looking forward to learning some more from one of his favorite players.

"He was a senior my redshirt year at Nevada," said Corbett, who walked on to the program in 2013. "As a walk-on, I was just watching him, trying to look at every single thing he did because I knew the type of player he was and the type of person he was."

Corbett, who started 48 games at left tackle after Bitonio was drafted by the Browns in 2014, gives Cleveland a versatile, tough player on an offensive line still trying to figure how to best replace future Hall-of-Famer Joe Thomas. Though Corbett was exclusively a tackle with the Wolf Pack, some draft analysts project him as an athletic guard or even center at the next level. Over the coming weeks and months, the Browns will get a better idea of where Corbett best fits.

"I see him as a good football player, very multi-faceted. He can do a lot of things. There is no doubt that he could probably play center for you," said vice president of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith. "I think one of the best things that you want to do is add good football players to your team. It's a great problem to have, a guy that can play a bunch of different positions."

Corbett, to be certain, views himself as a tackle but will play wherever he's needed. "I'm definitely a tackle player. I spent the last four years there, but at the Senior Bowl, again, that was my chance to move inside and I felt really comfortable at those positions as well," he said. "Really, whatever the Browns want me to do, I'm going to do for them. I'm just super excited to get into Cleveland."

Corbett learned a lot of what he knows from Bitonio, who has emerged as one of the league's best interior offensive linemen. 

"He just understands defensive concepts and can just see these things and anticipate, which makes a great football player," he said.

"Then it comes down to his physicality, as well. Moving up in the middle, you got some big dudes up in the NFL, and you have to have a little bit of nasty to you. Playing offensive line, you have got to be a little messed up in the mind, honestly because it is a car crash every play. That is how he played at Nevada, and that is what I saw. He set the standard for me."

Corbett and the Browns' 2018 draft class - a group that includes quarterback Baker Mayfield and cornerback Denzel Ward, the No. 1 and No. 4 picks, respectively - will report for minicamp later this week. Not too long after that, Corbett might have a chance to play alongside Bitonio once again.

"It's going to be crazy to play next to him. He's somebody I have been watching for four years now and everything he has done there in Cleveland," Corbett said. "I'm just super excited to be able to get next to him and continue to learn from him."

clevelandbrowns.com

Looks like, sounds like, smells like ... What to you?
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I was just getting to post this. No shocker.
I'm sure Joe T. will be coaching Corbett too. He'll learn from the best!!!
thumbsup

Austin Corbett vs Boise St.

Austin Corbett vs Hawaii

Austin Corbett vs ND

Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I'm sure Joe T. will be coaching Corbett too. He'll learn from the best!!!

I'm just curious. Did JT sign on as a coach with the Browns or something? I'm pretty sure he retired.
I thought his run blocking was very good.

His Pass Pro was not. When it was a pass and he attacked Garrett on the snap, he did well. When he started his pass pro kick step Garrett just sped around that corner easily. So take a look at the pass plays and if he just at the snap starts the left kick right drag moving back...he got beat. When he mad his first step left to the side a little back but was to make contact early, he actually held his own.

Hope he makes the switch to RT. He does seem nasty...now in Berea pressers and videos, I keep hearing the word Center and playing next to Bitonio his old college mentor.

All I know is that the sooner he knows where he is going to start or compete for that starting position, the better he will be.

Versatile for a rookie really retards their growth.

jmho
No ... Not 'Officially' but he is on record as stating that he will be devoting some of his own time to that effect.
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Mayock said Corbett beat out Bitonio at LT so my guess is Corbett was drafted to play LT....FWIW

FWIW...No Austin Corbett did not beat out Bitonio @LT, his career was from 2015 @LT.

Joel Bitonio
(for reference comparisons)
HT: 6'4" WT: 302LBS.
POSITION: OT
SCHOOL: Nevada
ARM LENGTH: 33 7/8"
HANDS: 9 5/8"

OVERVIEW:

Started in 36 of 51 games played. 2013: First-team All-MWC pick. 2012: Honorable mention All-MWC pick. 2011: Played 13 games and started 12. 2010: Played in 14 games. 2009: Redshirted.

COMBINE RESULTS:
40 YARD DASH: 4.97 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 32.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 114.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.37 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.44 SEC

Austin Corbett was a Redshirted freshman Bitonio's final year at Nevada.
No ... Not 'Officially' but he is on record as stating that he will be devoting some of his own time to that effect.

Yeah I think Joel said that JT was working with Coleman already.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_shon_coleman_already_wo.html

Quote:
Joe Thomas was already back at the Browns facility on Thursday after retiring on Wednesday, but not because he just couldn't tear himself away.

He was there working on helping his likely replacement, Shon Coleman, make the switch from right tackle to left tackle

JT will help Corbett too, I bet on it. He may not come in everyday, or have a title, but I bet he'll be there at times mingling around and most importantly, helping these guys with his utmost knowledge of the game and overall technique.
Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

Cleveland lost future Hall of Fame tackle Joe Thomas to a mid-season triceps tear and then to retirement, exposing a need at a position that had been solidified for a decade. Spencer Drango, a 2016 fifth-round pick out of Baylor, did his best in place of Thomas, but it became painfully clear the Browns needed to address the position in the offseason. They did so in selecting Corbett, another tackle who projects more as a guard at the next level.

Cleveland has experience with this kind of situation. Like Corbett, Joel Bitonio, the Browns' excellent left guard, played tackle at Nevada. The former second-round pick has proven to be one of the best linemen to come out of the 2014 draft, and stands to line up next to a fellow Wolfpack product in a fairly unique situation. Common logic says Bitonio stays at guard while Corbett lines up at tackle, but a similar circle of thought places Corbett at guard, where he can be protected by teammates on each side, and kicks the more experienced Bitonio to tackle to take on the greater challenge.

This makes for an excellent fit either way, because Corbett is walking into a situation where he can both learn from someone who was in his shoes, and also receive on-field help from that same person. It also offers the Browns added versatility along the left side of the line, which is ideal for a team trying to replace a legend at the most important position on the line.

nfl.com

I am in favor of keeping Bitonio @LG.

Of interest is the peace on Wynn taken @23 by the Patriots who the dogma has been about moving to OG, but maybe not so fast on that thought.
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
he he has short arms

His arms are 33 1/8, Joe Thomas's are 33 3/4. That's 5/8 of an inch. Does approx 1/2 an inch actually make a difference?

I'm still hoping he can compete for LT next year

It doesn't make a difference. It's not like he has gator arms.

I don't know where he will play, but he will be a mainstay on our line for a long time.
Joe Thomas on the Dan Patrick show giving his thoughts on the 1st round picks, why he is in Cleveland, who the best pass rusher was he faced, and his weight. Also if you would like to take a listen to The Thomahawk show draft reaction podcast he also references his opinion on Austin Corbett.

Dan Patrick the mentioned why he is in Cleveland is at about 1:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFfjYpXc-Qo

Podcast 17:10 Corbett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UcihTabSco
Austin Corbett has filled big shoes at left tackle before; could he do it for the Browns?

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Austin Corbett isn't a stranger to taking over for a good left tackle. Maybe he's never taken over for a future first-ballot Hall-of-Fame left tackle, but he's had big shoes to fill before. Those big shoes, in fact, could line up directly next to him if Corbett ends up starting at left tackle for the Browns.

Corbett's redshirt season was in 2013, which happened to be Joel Bitonio's final season starting at left tackle for the Wolf Pack. The Browns selected Bitonio with the No. 35 overall pick that season and he has since developed into one of the league's best guards when healthy. Corbett immediately stepped into Bitonio's position.

"Just tried to live up to that standard he set there," Corbett said.

So it's a neat parallel, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. While Corbett worked at left tackle during last weekend's rookie minicamp, it doesn't mean he's going to line up at left tackle when the Browns take on the Steelers on Sept. 9. Shon Coleman will likely get the first crack this spring and there are some other options who will get a look, including, perhaps, Bitonio.

"You will see (Corbett) out there," head coach Hue Jackson said on Friday. "There is no question he will be out there, but I think you will see him moved around, too. We are going to kind of see where our best five guys are and how they play, but he will get an opportunity out there."

If moneyball is your thing, there's some real value to be found in Corbett winning that job, especially considering the money the Browns already have tied up on their interior.

"You look at the contracts throughout the league, the tackles are the ones that are getting paid more, getting picked higher," Assistant General Manager Eliot Wolf said after the Browns selected Corbett, "so if Austin's able to be the left tackle, that would be great."

Nothing is guaranteed for Corbett, who could play any of the five positions along the line. It is hard to imagine, however, that the Browns spent the No. 33 overall pick in the draft on a player they view as a swing interior lineman or even an extra tackle. It's even harder to see them letting that high of a pick sit and watch for a season.

"That's what I think college is for," Corbett said. "That's your time to get ready for this, so now you're coming out here to fight for a job and that's what I'm doing, I'm just trying to fight for a job and make sure I'm one of the five for that first game."

If Corbett comes across as unassuming when talking about where he might play, it's not for lack of want to. It's just that he learned at a young age there are things you can control and things you can't. He watched his dad fall victim to the recession -- something that hit northern Nevada particularly hard -- and lose the job he had done for 20 years, selling pavers and block.

"Come the recession, no one wants to pave their driveway," Corbett said.

So it became about survival and keeping a roof over his family's head. His dad did roof repairs, food delivery -- anything he could get his hands on before he landed on long haul trucking, something that pays the bills but also keeps away from home.

"When you're a father, a husband there's just things that come before you," Corbett said, "and he's the least selfish man that I know."

That unselfishness taught him a valuable lesson he carries onto the football field.

"In life, there's so little that you can control," Corbett said. "I had to make sure that I was doing what I could do for myself, for my family and my future, so that's making sure that I'm putting all the work into school and football that I can, because that's going to to be my job one day and I don't want to put my family through something that I went through."

Corbett was one of three draft picks to sign his rookie deal on Sunday. He said a few days prior that the first thing he would do with his newfound wealth would be to move his wife, Madison, a former Wolf Pack volleyball player, up to Cleveland.

"Just get her out here and get her a little time off," Corbett said. "She's been working so hard and going to school, working two jobs, she deserves it."

As for his parents and how he hopes to repay them.

"If I can somehow figure out a way to get my dad home, that would be awesome," he said.

One more thing: Any new offensive lineman has to be asked about meeting Browns offensive line coach Bob Wylie, one of the truly unique individuals in the NFL. It made waves last year when it came out that Wylie used a card game to test prospects at the combine. You can hear Wylie explain the game here.

Corbett didn't miss a beat when he was asked if he played the card game this year.

"I got a perfect score," he said. "That was fun. I like numbers so the nerd side of me came out there and I liked it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/05/austin_corbett_cleveland_brown.html
© DawgTalkers.net