Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not necessary day 1, but if he isn't playing by the end of the year it isn't good. Personally, I think he is insurance for Coleman at LT and will probably beat him out there at some point.

If he can play LT then this is a good pick....if not they probably replace Tretter next year with. him a C. imho

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Not necessary day 1, but if he isn't playing by the end of the year it isn't good. Personally, I think he is insurance for Coleman at LT and will probably beat him out there at some point.

If he can play LT then this is a good pick....if not they probably replace Tretter next year with. him a C. imho

He might be an okay LT, but he could be an even better OC...I saw a comp of him in a scouting report comparisons to Bitonio...that's pretty good company.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/28/18 01:24 PM.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
Austin Corbett was the 2nd or 3rd ranked offensive tackle for multiple teams. Didn't know the #Browns did as well. He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Better prospect than Joel Bitonio, and could get a shot at left tackle.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/990006802459844608

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Austin Corbett was the 2nd or 3rd ranked offensive tackle for multiple teams. Didn't know the #Browns did as well. He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Better prospect than Joel Bitonio, and could get a shot at left tackle.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/990006802459844608
that's a good sign

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson said will try OL Austin Corbett at T and G. Said if need to shuffle line to put best group out there, we will. Said that could even include Joel Bitonio bouncing from LG to LT.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Who cares what Hue says? The guy is a joke. He looks like marionette up there.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/28/18 04:28 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'm guessing RT.

That's the only thing I can think.

Except, why'd we sign that Hubbard guy? And what about Drango?

The more I look RT is the this year possibility. Hubbard is like Barry Stokes and other guys like that. He's not a starter and the liklihood he becomes one this year is not high....he's a stop gap maybe at RT that won't get our QB killed.

But the more I look at this kid and the USAGE of the word CENTER from our Staff, Highsmith, Dorsey, etc. He could be the Center in waiting for Tretter, we were luck last year he didn't get hurt. Insurance this year but look possibly help at RT, but Center of our Future, he is pretty nasty. Good Run Blocker for RT, Hubbard good Pass blocker??? He was a LT in college which only means he has ok feet. I don't think he is a LT fingers still crossed for Shon Coleman. Right now he is our 6th guy. In the future I think he'll be our Center. Who knows maybe he ends up starting there. Interior of Bitonio, Corbett and Zeitler, nasty just nasty!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And Tretter was only signed for 3 years, so I think that this could be a selection with future forbearance. Preemptive as opposed to reactive initiative.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about Hue? For the 5000th time. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm guessing RT.

The more I look RT is the this year possibility. Hubbard is like Barry Stokes and other guys like that. He's not a starter and the liklihood he becomes one this year is not high....he's a stop gap maybe at RT that won't get our QB killed.

But the more I look at this kid and the USAGE of the word CENTER from our Staff, Highsmith, Dorsey, etc. He could be the Center in waiting for Tretter, we were luck last year he didn't get hurt. Insurance this year but look possibly help at RT, but Center of our Future, he is pretty nasty. Good Run Blocker for RT, Hubbard good Pass blocker??? He was a LT in college which only means he has ok feet. I don't think he is a LT fingers still crossed for Shon Coleman. Right now he is our 6th guy. In the future I think he'll be our Center. Who knows maybe he ends up starting there. Interior of Bitonio, Corbett and Zeitler, nasty just nasty!

Chris Hubbard is not a stopgap or a backup. He is a legitimately good RT.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not to mention he signed a 5/36 million contract with 15 million guaranteed. If we had to spend a 33 pick so he doesn't start someone needs canned...lol.

Corbett will get a chance to play LT. If he can't I imagine they will move to C and replace Tretter in 2019.....imo anyway.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U know Willie .. i think were gonna be hurting at LT next year ... but these guys tried ... there just wasn’t any good options ....seriously ... other than Soldjier in FA ... that was pretty much it for both RT and LT this year ....

I really want to get peed they didnt do more ... but i can’t .... i keep going back to “what the hell did u want them to do idiot” ... wink ...

Legend
Legend
Couldn't agree more Diam. We've really attempted: signed, drafted, I'm sure we were on the phones and tried to figure out other ways ... but this year's draft was PUTRID with OT's.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not mad at all. Like I said if he can't cut it at LT he can be a stud C from all accounts.

There were no sure fire OTs this year, and as the saying goes you can't make chicken salad out of chicken.....you get it.

Maybe Corbett surprises?? If not Tretter is definitely upgradable. I won't even be that mad if Hubbard stinks.....like you said there wasn't a lot that we could do.

However, if they role out with Coleman at LT and the new kid at RT with 36 million dollar backup on the bench??? Somebody screwed up pretty big.

Legend
Legend
First look will probably be:

Coleman - Bitonio - Tretter - Zeitler - Hubbard

And then we'll see how Corbett fits in

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Quite the hyperbole Pit.
I went back and counted,
It has only been 4,367 times so far

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Quite the hyperbole Pit.
I went back and counted,
It has only been 4,367 times so far
So it's like 85% of your posts smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I'm guessing RT.

If I remember correctly, didn't Hubbard play some LT for Pittsburgh last year?
Just a recollection, I could be wrong
But if true, Corbett at RT and Hubbard at LT?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I'm guessing RT.

If I remember correctly, didn't Hubbard play some LT for Pittsburgh last year?
Just a recollection, I could be wrong
But if true, Corbett at RT and Hubbard at LT?
Yes, Hubbard has played a little bit all over the line

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If Corbett doesn't start week 1, then it was a wasted pick.

Legend
Legend
Every time you post it's a waste of our time

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

So GM, you are ok with taking an OL who may not even start,with the 33rd pick of the draft?
We have many holes to fill (starting positions), and addressing a probable backup OL before filling these holes where we need starters, does not sit well with me and we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

If Dorsey drafted him to start, then fine, I am ok with it. Where is he going to start, LT? That would be a stretch after seeing his film. RT, I would be ok with that. My point is he needs to be the starter after being the first pick of the second round. If he was a QB, then I would understand, but not an OL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

So should we also expect Mayfield and Ward to start from day 1?

I don't believe we should in any case, because that criteria will not determine their future ceiling.

That was never true in the past either, when few rookies ever started from day 1, let alone their rookie year.

If he never becomes a starter, then I think that you could then make that conclusion.

You never want to rush a young player into a role that he is not ready mentally for ...

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Mayfield no, Ward yes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

So should we also expect Mayfield and Ward to start from day 1?

I don't believe we should in any case, because that criteria will not determine their future ceiling.

That was never true in the past either, when few rookies ever started from day 1, let alone their rookie year.

If he never becomes a starter, then I think that you could then make that conclusion.

You never want to rush a young player into a role that he is not ready mentally for ...

Agreed. The measure of a player's value is not how quickly he can be a starter, but how good he can be when he's ready to play. We live in a microwave world, people want instant results. If Corbett is a starter for 10 years, but that doesn't start until next year, it was a great pick. If he's never more than a 6th lineman, even if that starts this year, then it wasn't.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

So GM, you are ok with taking an OL who may not even start,with the 33rd pick of the draft?
We have many holes to fill (starting positions), and addressing a probable backup OL before filling these holes where we need starters, does not sit well with me and we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

If Dorsey drafted him to start, then fine, I am ok with it. Where is he going to start, LT? That would be a stretch after seeing his film. RT, I would be ok with that. My point is he needs to be the starter after being the first pick of the second round. If he was a QB, then I would understand, but not an OL.

I am OK right now with EVERYBODY we picked in the draft. Will I be OK with all of them in 3 years??? Corbett will get a chance to COMPETE at LT, at guard, and maybe at center down the road.

Quote:
we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

Yes we do. I don't call players a bust on draft day, or the day after the draft. I don't pretend to know who will pan out on draft day, or the day after. I don't pretend to know more than any single GM in the NFL. I am willing to wait and see how these guys workout before I pass judgement, and I don';t expect every player drafted to be a Pro Bowl player or Hall Of Famer.

Look I pointed you out because you have sounded like a troll since the draft started.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not to mention I think it was a good pick. The reports i have seen on the guy is scouts around the league loved him and say he is NFL ready.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I think no mere mortal can replace JT so whoever comes in after is being handed a slightly poisoned challice, expectations wise.

Drango did OK last year. If this dude can upgrade that play, we will be fine. Not JT near-perfection on an island but you average old NFL standard. If this guy is as advertised, he may actually pleasantly surprise if you let go of the spectre of JT's insane level of play.

Legend
Legend
Drango was ok in that he faced an impossible task, but he played pretty badly. I wouldn't freak out if he had to play a game or two here or there but for him to have to play the whole season would not be a good thing. He simply doesn't have the skills to be a high quality left tackle. He can be a backup, certainly, but not a starter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

I am OK right now with EVERYBODY we picked in the draft. Will I be OK with all of them in 3 years??? Corbett will get a chance to COMPETE at LT, at guard, and maybe at center down the road.

Quote:
we must have different philosophical view of the draft.

Yes we do. I don't call players a bust on draft day, or the day after the draft. I don't pretend to know who will pan out on draft day, or the day after. I don't pretend to know more than any single GM in the NFL. I am willing to wait and see how these guys workout before I pass judgement, and I don';t expect every player drafted to be a Pro Bowl player or Hall Of Famer.

Look I pointed you out because you have sounded like a troll since the draft started.

I am not a troll, been a Browns fan for almost 50 years. I did not call Corbet a bust. I just do not like the slot we took him. You are right, we will not know how all this pans out for a few years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Went into the draft knowing we where going to have to reach and scramble for an LT prospect .. We just hope this is a hit not a miss .. either way , no hard feelings as it was a impossible task to replace JT just like 'THAT " !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There should be a few pretty highly touted LT prospects at the top of next year's draft

Greg Little Mississippi
Trey Adams Washington
Jonah Williams Alabama
David Edwards Wisconsin
Mitch Hyatt Clemson

Just a few guys to keep an eye on next college football season
If we don't find a long term answer at LT with the guys currently on the roster then one of these 5 will likey be a Cleveland Brown next year

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sight unseen, take the Wisconsin guy. They grow 'em good there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I am not a troll, been a Browns fan for almost 50 years. I did not call Corbet a bust. I just do not like the slot we took him. You are right, we will not know how all this pans out for a few years.

If you look closer bro I didn't say you were a troll, I said you sounded like one since the draft started. You bashed every pick we made except for the Linebacker, and Bashed Dorsey over, and over, and over, and over. I realize our picks didn't jive with who you wanted us to pick. I guess I should have been more understanding to your feelings, even though I didn't agree with them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lot of SPECULATION about next years LT class , all good !

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
yeah, the OL and DL looks to be much deeper next year

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Not to mention I think it was a good pick. The reports i have seen on the guy is scouts around the league loved him and say he is NFL ready.

I'll take a player who is being compared to Bitonio in any Draft @ pick 33.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll love the guy at " 33 " if he can excel at LT !

B
Legend
Legend
B
I'll love the guy at " 33 " if he can excel at LT !

Or RT or center or guard. Could Bitonio play RT?

Plus, we don't know how Dorsey feels about any number of players. He may not like the cost. Maybe he doesn't like Coleman or either of the centers.

I am sure he didn't just grab this guy for no reason.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yeah, the OL and DL looks to be much deeper next year

The Oline has great depth, on paper. One of them will be able to perform competently at LT. It should take some time to gel, but I think we got it right so far...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Austin Corbett with the 33rd overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard