Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he's good and we're mid way or more I'd probably be a little better with it. But if HE goes in and struggles then turn it over to Drewif notgo to him first.
Baker MUST be ready to succeed.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
See here is the thing.

Folks know im not a big Baker Mayfield fan BUT we need to create conditions here to at least give the kid a fair shot.

Mayfield should NOT under any circumstances whatsoever take a snap this year outside of a preseason game. We need someone in the building(hopefully Haley is that guy) that simply won't allow that to happen.

I don't care if we are 0-14 with two game left, leave Baker on the damn bench...if Taylor and Stanton get hurt, you sign a guy off waivers and play him while Baker sits.

the Browns need to overcome this dysfunction. We can't go back to old habits(playing guys before they are ready) and expecting things to change.

Mayfield is a "project" he has a lot to work on before he will even remotely be ready to play in the NFL. His footwork is really bad, his happy feet is not good, he has very little experience under center...the kid isn't ready, and won't be ready until 2019.

I know folks want instant results RIGHT NOW, but that still doesn't change the fact that Baker simply won't be ready to play. The Browns, more than any franchise right now needs Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolf to be that strong personality that tells the media:

"Baker Mayfield will NOT play one snap this year, so stop asking about it. he isn't playing. next question!"

This needs to be Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolfs answer when asked about it, and Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith need to TELL Jackson and Haley that is the answer to give when asked about it, and then stick to it.

If we want Baker to be "the guy" he needs to be given a chance succeed, and putting him out there year one in Cleveland is NOT the chance...Baker won't be able to overcome Cleveland's dysfunction in his rookie year...remember..the Browns fired Bellichik for petes sake! put things into perspective here.

Mayfield needs time, he is young enough that there is no reason to put him out there yet. Not when you got guys like Taylor who has been pretty good for the Bills, and a valuable vet like Stanton. Mayfield needs to sit, no exceptions.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I agree. It’s also about this team finding time to gel. I’d rather TT be the guy in there while the O line learns to protect a mobile QB, while WRs learn their routes, while Chubb learns how to run in NFL, while Njoku continues to learn to play TE, while...
When this team looks like it’s playing actual NFL football, because what I’ve seen the past couple of years hasn’t, then Baker will have the best chance to step in and succeed.

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

A reminder....Kiser looked pretty good in preseason.

Wait, what?!

If you're using Kiser's games in the preseason as an example of "pretty good" you're setting the bar pretty low here...

Kizer was anything but pretty good. I remember watching the games and he played 3rd string players the first two games and then I believe he started the 3rd game against Tampa and went 6 for 18 with zero touchdowns and that was the league's worst defense. Pretty good?! Really?

None of the quarterbacks played very good, although Hogan looked the best, followed by Kessler. 51% completion percentage is by no means pretty good in my mind...

Last edited by devicedawg; 04/30/18 01:48 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If Baker starts, I'll call for all of them to be fired. Even if it works. Have we learned nothing from being the only team who consistently thrusts their rookie quarterback in to the starting role only to watch them struggle greatly?

Can we please not ruin another rookie? Mayfield isn't going to whither and die if he spends a year on the bench. It can only help.

I don't agree with this at all... I think you play the best quarterback no matter who it is. Why wouldn't you? Makes no sense to me.

I think this is more about the players we've picked than the Browns actually "ruining" them. I believe that also to be a fake narrative. We just don't pick the right quarterback, it's not about ruining them. I trust Dorsey drafted the best quarterback for the job. And if he wins the job in training camp, so be it...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah I specifically remember posting.... and this is a direct quote.

"Based on what we've seen in the preseason, this kid is no where near ready". RE:Kizer

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Mayfield is a "project" he has a lot to work on before he will even remotely be ready to play in the NFL. His footwork is really bad, his happy feet is not good, he has very little experience under center...the kid isn't ready, and won't be ready until 2019.

ugh... no.

Legend
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Even without this, Skip Bayless is an idiot.

If it’s close in preseason it won’t be ‘closer’ once the defensive schemes and game plans get real. It’ll be that much more difficult. And TT has the experience dealing with it. Sorry but TT has to start. Let him get the team rolling. Get them playing as a team. Keep Baker on the bench.

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Even if Baker tears it up in the preseason games he still has to sit. Bayless mentions how he reads the full field defense and is deadly accurate hitting his WRs. Well, that was college. That was then, this is now. Pre-season defenses are very vanilla. More like what he faced in college. As soon as the regular season starts the defenses kick it up to the professional level.

Baker appears to be a whiteboard whiz which means he's really football smart. He can read defenses pre-snap and he can read coverages as well, the full field. The difference between then and now is that the NFL defenses are more complicated. He can't just step in with his college knowledge of defense vs the pros. He should sit until his knowledge of pro defenses is solid. He doesn't have to be perfect as he'll learn on the run even if he sits two years. But to throw him into the fire, (fire=NFL defenses), and expect him to suddenly get used to the speed of the NFL game and he will struggle for a period of time not yet established.

Let him sit and study the defenses and how our offense fits into the grand scheme. When he has a handle on that then throw him in if TT is struggling. If TT is winning games then let Mayfield a little longer. There is nothing wrong with him leaning for a whole year like KC did with Mahomes who sat until he started the last game, which he won.

The team set up the QB room for the rookie QB to spend some time learning and adjusting to life in the NFL and the schemes in play. That's the original plan. No sense throwing that out the window at the first sign of struggle. Because Mayfield will struggle without practice.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish

Skip Bayless just put the kiss of death on Mayfield chances. Here is what he said when tyhe Browns selected Brandon Weeden.

https://twitter.com/realskipbayless/status/195697789743792129?lang=en

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Great post ddub.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
The poster who are saying their is no way he should even be allowed to see the field this year.. simply do not want your team to win. If he’s the best he needs to learn on the fly if they can protect him. He isn’t going to learn setting on the bench. If he’s the best even by a small margin you have to give your team the best chance to win and he’s not built to give up. Just remember all these posts. By wk 1 all of this drama will be a forgone conclusion. Baker is starting wk 1 becuase he’s the best qb on the field.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know you love him, boomer sooner, but tyrod is the starter. This FO put their faith in TT, who is a proven veteran, so you might as well get used to it.
Your boy will be playing later, and not.... Wait here.... Sooner.

Last edited by lampdogg; 04/30/18 11:36 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The poster who are saying their is no way he should even be allowed to see the field this year.. simply do not want your team to win.

It's not that brother... understand, Browns fans have been down this road at least half a dozen times with QBs we hoped would be the future... each and everyone we hoped would get some time to sit and to learn, each and every time either due to injury or incompetence of the starter, they were forced into action before the season was half over... obviously each and every one of them has failed...

So the only thing we haven't tried, is to actually let the rookie sit for the entire year... so whether rushing them into starting action was the reason they failed or not.... some folks do not want to take that risk of putting them on the field "too early"...

The number of people on here who hold out any hope that Baker Mayfield is going to pull a Russell Wilson and go out and legitimately win the job and then play well... well, that number is extremely small... small like maybe you and two otehrs...

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonitadawg
the news would read Jackson names Mayfield starter
Dorsey names Williams hc for remainder of season
Williams names Taylor starter

ok you got me lol that was funny right there

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Even if Baker tears it up in the preseason games he still has to sit. Bayless mentions how he reads the full field defense and is deadly accurate hitting his WRs. Well, that was college. That was then, this is now. Pre-season defenses are very vanilla. More like what he faced in college. As soon as the regular season starts the defenses kick it up to the professional level.

Baker appears to be a whiteboard whiz which means he's really football smart. He can read defenses pre-snap and he can read coverages as well, the full field. The difference between then and now is that the NFL defenses are more complicated. He can't just step in with his college knowledge of defense vs the pros. He should sit until his knowledge of pro defenses is solid. He doesn't have to be perfect as he'll learn on the run even if he sits two years. But to throw him into the fire, (fire=NFL defenses), and expect him to suddenly get used to the speed of the NFL game and he will struggle for a period of time not yet established.

Let him sit and study the defenses and how our offense fits into the grand scheme. When he has a handle on that then throw him in if TT is struggling. If TT is winning games then let Mayfield a little longer. There is nothing wrong with him leaning for a whole year like KC did with Mahomes who sat until he started the last game, which he won.

The team set up the QB room for the rookie QB to spend some time learning and adjusting to life in the NFL and the schemes in play. That's the original plan. No sense throwing that out the window at the first sign of struggle. Because Mayfield will struggle without practice.

excellent post my man.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Even if Baker tears it up in the preseason games he still has to sit.

No, no, no!!... If Baker is the best quarterback on the field in preseason you play him week 1. I fully expect he'll beat out Tyrod.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
This FO put their faith in TT, who is a proven veteran, so you might as well get used to it.

This front office put their faith in Baker, who will win the starting job, so you might as well get used to it.

Baker is going to start week 1.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
Even if Baker tears it up in the preseason games he still has to sit.

No, no, no!!... If Baker is the best quarterback on the field in preseason you play him week 1. I fully expect he'll beat out Tyrod.

Say what!?

Your disrespecting Tyrod.

Tyrod Taylor has 3 straight seasons in the NFL(in the same division as the Pats and Bellichik) with over a 60% completion percentage, a QB rating of 90 or higher, and double digit TD...

Taylor has only thrown 12 interceptions in three years which is less then any Qb in the NFL...in 2015 he had a higher QB rating then Aaron Rodgers!

Your out of your damn mind if you think Mayfield is a better professional QB then Taylor "right now". Mayfield has the potential to maybe be better 2-3 years down the road, but he is NOT better then Taylor right now and won't be at the end of camp.

Taylor didn't exactly have good teams in Buffalo either, the fact he was able to do what he did, with those teams, in that division is testament to him and what he has been able to do.

Folks are VASTLY underestimating how good Taylor actually he. He is the best Qb we have had in Cleveland since Kosar.

Know what i look to happen?

Taylor will have 2 straight Pro Bowl years in a row, and Mayfield will be sitting the bench much longer then he will want to...Mayfield isn't the only guy coming here with something to prove.

Taylor has much better weapons here in Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Njoku, and Johnson...he never had this kidn of receiving core in Bills land...i don't look for Mayfield to get to play until maybe 3 years from now.

Im telling you, Taylor will come out of the gate on fire, he will play so well there will be no way you can bench him...right now the lockeroom loves the guy, most of the team is rallied around him, the coahces love him...Taylor is a Todd Haley kinda Qb though and though, big arm, mobile, plays smart, and doesn't turn over the football...Haley will win many games with that.

Mayfield hasn't proven jack in the NFL, and his recent comments about how the only difference between college and pro's is terminology tells me Mayfield doesn't know a damn thing and certainly isn't ready.

Tyrod Taylor will be the best Qb we have had since Kosar, and mark my words...this guy has come to play football and win, it will be quite sometime before Mayfield beats him out, it won't be this year, and probably not next year either.

Folks are going to rue the day they disrespected Tyrod Taylor.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 05/01/18 10:49 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
Who starts at QB now, Taylor or Mayfield? Are the Browns going to let their #1 overall pick sit for a year?

That's what Hue Jackson said,,, Taylor is the starter.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LOL. Bayless said he could see the Browns as the surprise team (if Mayfield gets the nod) and go 7-9. Then some genius (is that Shannon Sharpe?) said that would be a 70% increase.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

LOL. Bayless said he could see the Browns as the surprise team (if Mayfield gets the nod) and go 7-9. Then some genius (is that Shannon Sharpe?) said that would be a 70% increase.
Shannon is a scholar

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
i don't look for Mayfield to get to play until maybe 3 years from now.

Yikes. No.

Mayfield will be on the field this season. No one is disrespecting Tyrod. In fact, I am one of the few who like him. ...But Baker is simply the better choice. If the season started today I might agree. But we have a long 4 months before the season begins.

They didn't draft Mayfield to sit. The competition between Tyrod and Mayfield will be fierce and fun to watch, but there's no way Mayfield sits for 2 years. That's ludicrous.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Shannon is a scholar

What’s the difference? 70%... 700%
I mean it’s only a zero.

laugh

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
This FO put their faith in TT, who is a proven veteran, so you might as well get used to it.

This front office put their faith in Baker, who will win the starting job, so you might as well get used to it.

Baker is going to start week 1.

Dear God, I hope not.
For once, I'd like to see our coaches and FO have some intestinal fortitude and patience. Yes, the kid is all but guaranteed to be the best QB on the roster.... that is NOT any reason at all to make him the starter this year. Let him sit and learn - and YES, he WILL learn by not playing.

So much impatience and so many in a rush to make the same mistakes year after year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It’s also not just about him learning. It’s about him sitting while the rest of the team learns to play as a team. Let TT take the beating as the new line learns to play together. As the WR core learns to properly play within the new playbook. As Chubb learns to run in the NFL. As Njoku learns to play TE at a consistent level.
Only then should Baker be allowed under center. It’s his best chance at success.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The only way Baker gets on the field this season is if, heaven forbid Tyrod Taylor goes down to injury, comes in late during blowout games, or we’re out of the playoff hunt. TT took the Bills to the playoffs last year. He could do it again if the team is hitting on all cylinders. Not to mention Hue needs a good to great season to keep his job. Highly unlikely he’s going with a rookie at this point. But this is the Brown’s and the boo birds will come out early if Tyrod is struggling before the bye. (week 3 I believe).

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
Who starts at QB now, Taylor or Mayfield? Are the Browns going to let their #1 overall pick sit for a year?

That's what Hue Jackson said,,, Taylor is the starter.

They don't have to start anybody until September.

Sign Duke Johnson!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It should be TT until they are fully confident in Baker.

I would like to see them sit him too long that too little. I would prefer to see what happened in Chicago, where they didnt start Trubisky until it was clear he was ready and had a grasp of the offense.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect that TT will play well enough that we forget (for the most part) about Mayfield riding the pine...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
L
Legend
Legend
L
The Browns can win games with tyrod. He's never had playmakers like he will here, he takes care of the ball, he leads. I'm in no hurry to put mayfield in.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Fully agree with you, Purp.

Think mental reps. And a vet to help see the game and help crunching film. Having a full plate is expected and TT is not just a placeholder. A full plate doesn't mean you are obliged to choke yourself. Make Baker better, then toss him out there.

I am not opposed to some limited series and special stuff in packages/scripts for Mayfield. Limited so we get film on it. But barring injury, slow is best.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Your disrespecting Tyrod.

Tyrod Taylor has 3 straight seasons in the NFL(in the same division as the Pats and Bellichik) with over a 60% completion percentage, a QB rating of 90 or higher, and double digit TD...

Taylor has only thrown 12 interceptions in three years which is less then any Qb in the NFL...in 2015 he had a higher QB rating then Aaron Rodgers!

Your out of your damn mind if you think Mayfield is a better professional QB then Taylor "right now". Mayfield has the potential to maybe be better 2-3 years down the road, but he is NOT better then Taylor right now and won't be at the end of camp.

I agree with you, Taylor is better than some are giving him credit for... which makes me feel good because if it's a legit honest competition and Mayfield wins... then he's much farther along than most people think.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: BOOMER_SOONER
The poster who are saying their is no way he should even be allowed to see the field this year.. simply do not want your team to win. If he’s the best he needs to learn on the fly if they can protect him. He isn’t going to learn setting on the bench. If he’s the best even by a small margin you have to give your team the best chance to win and he’s not built to give up. Just remember all these posts. By wk 1 all of this drama will be a forgone conclusion. Baker is starting wk 1 becuase he’s the best qb on the field.

You ain't from round here are ya son? wink

Lemme put it like this.

We once started a rookie QB who was a first overall pick.

Browns fans - "Couch never got a chance, he wasn't ready, we killed him behind that line, a rookie QB has to sit and LEARN, we ruined him!!"

Years and years of QB mediocrity and purgatory followed.

Browns fans - "If you have 2 x QBs, you haven't got one."

Well.....most years, we didn't have 2.....we had 3. And still didn't have one.

Fast forward to present day, history repeats and we draft a QB first overall for first time since Couch.

Somehow, elements of the fan base develop Browns QB amnesia.....or dementia....you pick smile

Browns fans (and blow-in Mayfield fans ......welcome btw) - " You take a stud that high he better be starting! "

Ok.....now you're up to speed. thumbsup

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wonder if he could equal that TT production starting game one, and I don't think he possibly can or any rook for that matter. That is a great place to set the bar for him to clear; match or beat that output to start (not because of injury start). The preseason will be intriguing to see.

TT starts. Too much production to turn our back on as we learn new stuff and gel IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am sure that Baker will start at some point this season. I don't think we want to go in to next year(19) with him not playing.

That said, he needs to sit at least 7-8 games minimum.

Hopefully we can get a few nice leads and we can give him some 4th qtr action, but even then I wouldn't want it to be too soon.

I could see us not activating him for the first several games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I don't see why people think sitting a quarterback is some magical formula to make him great. We could have sat Kizer for 5 years and he still would have sucked.

I'm sure it's case by case for each quarterback whether sitting is a good thing or not. Lots of quarterbacks didn't sit. And when September rolls around Mayfield will know what he needs to do on the field, he will just need to DO it on the field to gain experience. Sitting him is only impeding his development.

I actually think the disrespect here isn't to Tyrod, but to Mayfield. Play the man.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

I don't see why people think sitting a quarterback is some magical formula to make him great. We could have sat Kizer for 5 years and he still would have sucked.

I'm sure it's case by case for each quarterback whether sitting is a good thing or not. Lots of quarterbacks didn't sit. And when September rolls around Mayfield will know what he needs to do on the field, he will just need to DO it on the field to gain experience. Sitting him is only impeding his development.

I actually think the disrespect here isn't to Tyrod, but to Mayfield. Play the man.

I’ll repost what I’ve already said for review...
“It’s also not just about him learning. It’s about him sitting while the rest of the team learns to play as a team. Let TT take the beating as the new line learns to play together. As the WR core learns to properly play within the new playbook. As Chubb learns to run in the NFL. As Njoku learns to play TE at a consistent level.
Only then should Baker be allowed under center. It’s his best chance at success.”

We have young team. An O line that hasn’t played many snaps together healthy. A new LT taking over for a HOF LT. Two new RBs. Basically a new WR core.
Let’s let the team develop together while Baker practices and learns the speed of the game. While he faces NFL defenses in practice. Again this isn’t Kansas anymore.
Then when he’s ready, when the offensive team is acting more like a unit, then he can play. It’s his, and our, best chance at success.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 05/02/18 10:46 AM.

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It has little to do with talent. I think its valuable to have a rookie see how a good vet can prepare for an opponent. Not only Taylor but Stanton can just walk him through game weeks. And that is invaluable while Baker still can get adjusted to a new city and his profession.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who starts at QB now?

Link Copied to Clipboard