Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Speaking of the devil ... guess i was wrong about them counting as him as a starter ... *L* ... oooops ....

Cameron Erving - T - Chiefs

Chiefs declined OL Cameron Erving's 2019 team option.

The former No. 19 overall pick in the 2015 draft, Erving was acquired from the Browns last summer and made four starts -- three at right guard and one at left tackle -- while amassing 276 snaps. He's simply competing for a job this year, but Erving's ability to play all five spots makes him valuable.

Source: Mike Garafolo on TwitterMay 2 - 8:37 AM

... rofl ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
He got smoked on the outside speed rush moves. Good post, thank you for sharing that.

And got no help from the QB (stepping up) RB? agaist a wide 7 look.

At least he altered his path. lol

But yeah Myles rang the bell. thumbsup

I thought he more than held his own against Garrett, who's probably the best speed rusher he's ever going to see. It seems like he was getting beat a little bit more towards the end of the game, when his legs were probably getting tired. But for a big chunk of the game, I thought he kept Garrett pretty well in check.

I wonder if they got any input from Garrett on what it was like to go against him? I'm also curious if Joe Thomas was asked about guys that he thought could hack it at LT?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
He got smoked on the outside speed rush moves. Good post, thank you for sharing that.

And got no help from the QB (stepping up) RB? agaist a wide 7 look.

At least he altered his path. lol

But yeah Myles rang the bell. thumbsup

I thought he more than held his own against Garrett, who's probably the best speed rusher he's ever going to see. It seems like he was getting beat a little bit more towards the end of the game, when his legs were probably getting tired. But for a big chunk of the game, I thought he kept Garrett pretty well in check.

I wonder if they got any input from Garrett on what it was like to go against him? I'm also curious if Joe Thomas was asked about guys that he thought could hack it at LT?

Yes, I agree ... He won some of the battles, which is encouraging.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reading between the lines:

Browns guard Joel Bitonio showed Austin Corbett the ropes back when they were teammates at Nevada.

Now reunited in Cleveland, Corbett - the 33rd overall pick in this year's NFL Draft - is looking forward to learning some more from one of his favorite players.

"He was a senior my redshirt year at Nevada," said Corbett, who walked on to the program in 2013. "As a walk-on, I was just watching him, trying to look at every single thing he did because I knew the type of player he was and the type of person he was."

Corbett, who started 48 games at left tackle after Bitonio was drafted by the Browns in 2014, gives Cleveland a versatile, tough player on an offensive line still trying to figure how to best replace future Hall-of-Famer Joe Thomas. Though Corbett was exclusively a tackle with the Wolf Pack, some draft analysts project him as an athletic guard or even center at the next level. Over the coming weeks and months, the Browns will get a better idea of where Corbett best fits.

"I see him as a good football player, very multi-faceted. He can do a lot of things. There is no doubt that he could probably play center for you," said vice president of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith. "I think one of the best things that you want to do is add good football players to your team. It's a great problem to have, a guy that can play a bunch of different positions."

Corbett, to be certain, views himself as a tackle but will play wherever he's needed. "I'm definitely a tackle player. I spent the last four years there, but at the Senior Bowl, again, that was my chance to move inside and I felt really comfortable at those positions as well," he said. "Really, whatever the Browns want me to do, I'm going to do for them. I'm just super excited to get into Cleveland."

Corbett learned a lot of what he knows from Bitonio, who has emerged as one of the league's best interior offensive linemen. 

"He just understands defensive concepts and can just see these things and anticipate, which makes a great football player," he said.

"Then it comes down to his physicality, as well. Moving up in the middle, you got some big dudes up in the NFL, and you have to have a little bit of nasty to you. Playing offensive line, you have got to be a little messed up in the mind, honestly because it is a car crash every play. That is how he played at Nevada, and that is what I saw. He set the standard for me."

Corbett and the Browns' 2018 draft class - a group that includes quarterback Baker Mayfield and cornerback Denzel Ward, the No. 1 and No. 4 picks, respectively - will report for minicamp later this week. Not too long after that, Corbett might have a chance to play alongside Bitonio once again.

"It's going to be crazy to play next to him. He's somebody I have been watching for four years now and everything he has done there in Cleveland," Corbett said. "I'm just super excited to be able to get next to him and continue to learn from him."

clevelandbrowns.com

Looks like, sounds like, smells like ... What to you?

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Speaking of the devil ... guess i was wrong about them counting as him as a starter ... *L* ... oooops ....

Cameron Erving - T - Chiefs

Chiefs declined OL Cameron Erving's 2019 team option.

The former No. 19 overall pick in the 2015 draft, Erving was acquired from the Browns last summer and made four starts -- three at right guard and one at left tackle -- while amassing 276 snaps. He's simply competing for a job this year, but Erving's ability to play all five spots makes him valuable.

Source: Mike Garafolo on TwitterMay 2 - 8:37 AM

I was just getting to post this. No shocker.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm sure Joe T. will be coaching Corbett too. He'll learn from the best!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/02/18 01:08 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I'm sure Joe T. will be coaching Corbett too. He'll learn from the best!!!

I'm just curious. Did JT sign on as a coach with the Browns or something? I'm pretty sure he retired.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought his run blocking was very good.

His Pass Pro was not. When it was a pass and he attacked Garrett on the snap, he did well. When he started his pass pro kick step Garrett just sped around that corner easily. So take a look at the pass plays and if he just at the snap starts the left kick right drag moving back...he got beat. When he mad his first step left to the side a little back but was to make contact early, he actually held his own.

Hope he makes the switch to RT. He does seem nasty...now in Berea pressers and videos, I keep hearing the word Center and playing next to Bitonio his old college mentor.

All I know is that the sooner he knows where he is going to start or compete for that starting position, the better he will be.

Versatile for a rookie really retards their growth.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No ... Not 'Officially' but he is on record as stating that he will be devoting some of his own time to that effect.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Mayock said Corbett beat out Bitonio at LT so my guess is Corbett was drafted to play LT....FWIW

FWIW...No Austin Corbett did not beat out Bitonio @LT, his career was from 2015 @LT.

Joel Bitonio
(for reference comparisons)
HT: 6'4" WT: 302LBS.
POSITION: OT
SCHOOL: Nevada
ARM LENGTH: 33 7/8"
HANDS: 9 5/8"

OVERVIEW:

Started in 36 of 51 games played. 2013: First-team All-MWC pick. 2012: Honorable mention All-MWC pick. 2011: Played 13 games and started 12. 2010: Played in 14 games. 2009: Redshirted.

COMBINE RESULTS:
40 YARD DASH: 4.97 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 32.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 114.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.37 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.44 SEC

Austin Corbett was a Redshirted freshman Bitonio's final year at Nevada.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
No ... Not 'Officially' but he is on record as stating that he will be devoting some of his own time to that effect.

Yeah I think Joel said that JT was working with Coleman already.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_shon_coleman_already_wo.html

Quote:
Joe Thomas was already back at the Browns facility on Thursday after retiring on Wednesday, but not because he just couldn't tear himself away.

He was there working on helping his likely replacement, Shon Coleman, make the switch from right tackle to left tackle

JT will help Corbett too, I bet on it. He may not come in everyday, or have a title, but I bet he'll be there at times mingling around and most importantly, helping these guys with his utmost knowledge of the game and overall technique.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

Cleveland lost future Hall of Fame tackle Joe Thomas to a mid-season triceps tear and then to retirement, exposing a need at a position that had been solidified for a decade. Spencer Drango, a 2016 fifth-round pick out of Baylor, did his best in place of Thomas, but it became painfully clear the Browns needed to address the position in the offseason. They did so in selecting Corbett, another tackle who projects more as a guard at the next level.

Cleveland has experience with this kind of situation. Like Corbett, Joel Bitonio, the Browns' excellent left guard, played tackle at Nevada. The former second-round pick has proven to be one of the best linemen to come out of the 2014 draft, and stands to line up next to a fellow Wolfpack product in a fairly unique situation. Common logic says Bitonio stays at guard while Corbett lines up at tackle, but a similar circle of thought places Corbett at guard, where he can be protected by teammates on each side, and kicks the more experienced Bitonio to tackle to take on the greater challenge.

This makes for an excellent fit either way, because Corbett is walking into a situation where he can both learn from someone who was in his shoes, and also receive on-field help from that same person. It also offers the Browns added versatility along the left side of the line, which is ideal for a team trying to replace a legend at the most important position on the line.

nfl.com

I am in favor of keeping Bitonio @LG.

Of interest is the peace on Wynn taken @23 by the Patriots who the dogma has been about moving to OG, but maybe not so fast on that thought.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
he he has short arms

His arms are 33 1/8, Joe Thomas's are 33 3/4. That's 5/8 of an inch. Does approx 1/2 an inch actually make a difference?

I'm still hoping he can compete for LT next year

It doesn't make a difference. It's not like he has gator arms.

I don't know where he will play, but he will be a mainstay on our line for a long time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Joe Thomas on the Dan Patrick show giving his thoughts on the 1st round picks, why he is in Cleveland, who the best pass rusher was he faced, and his weight. Also if you would like to take a listen to The Thomahawk show draft reaction podcast he also references his opinion on Austin Corbett.

Dan Patrick the mentioned why he is in Cleveland is at about 1:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFfjYpXc-Qo

Podcast 17:10 Corbett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UcihTabSco

Last edited by Wyo1975; 05/02/18 11:33 PM. Reason: both specific time stamps
Legend
Legend
Austin Corbett has filled big shoes at left tackle before; could he do it for the Browns?

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Austin Corbett isn't a stranger to taking over for a good left tackle. Maybe he's never taken over for a future first-ballot Hall-of-Fame left tackle, but he's had big shoes to fill before. Those big shoes, in fact, could line up directly next to him if Corbett ends up starting at left tackle for the Browns.

Corbett's redshirt season was in 2013, which happened to be Joel Bitonio's final season starting at left tackle for the Wolf Pack. The Browns selected Bitonio with the No. 35 overall pick that season and he has since developed into one of the league's best guards when healthy. Corbett immediately stepped into Bitonio's position.

"Just tried to live up to that standard he set there," Corbett said.

So it's a neat parallel, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. While Corbett worked at left tackle during last weekend's rookie minicamp, it doesn't mean he's going to line up at left tackle when the Browns take on the Steelers on Sept. 9. Shon Coleman will likely get the first crack this spring and there are some other options who will get a look, including, perhaps, Bitonio.

"You will see (Corbett) out there," head coach Hue Jackson said on Friday. "There is no question he will be out there, but I think you will see him moved around, too. We are going to kind of see where our best five guys are and how they play, but he will get an opportunity out there."

If moneyball is your thing, there's some real value to be found in Corbett winning that job, especially considering the money the Browns already have tied up on their interior.

"You look at the contracts throughout the league, the tackles are the ones that are getting paid more, getting picked higher," Assistant General Manager Eliot Wolf said after the Browns selected Corbett, "so if Austin's able to be the left tackle, that would be great."

Nothing is guaranteed for Corbett, who could play any of the five positions along the line. It is hard to imagine, however, that the Browns spent the No. 33 overall pick in the draft on a player they view as a swing interior lineman or even an extra tackle. It's even harder to see them letting that high of a pick sit and watch for a season.

"That's what I think college is for," Corbett said. "That's your time to get ready for this, so now you're coming out here to fight for a job and that's what I'm doing, I'm just trying to fight for a job and make sure I'm one of the five for that first game."

If Corbett comes across as unassuming when talking about where he might play, it's not for lack of want to. It's just that he learned at a young age there are things you can control and things you can't. He watched his dad fall victim to the recession -- something that hit northern Nevada particularly hard -- and lose the job he had done for 20 years, selling pavers and block.

"Come the recession, no one wants to pave their driveway," Corbett said.

So it became about survival and keeping a roof over his family's head. His dad did roof repairs, food delivery -- anything he could get his hands on before he landed on long haul trucking, something that pays the bills but also keeps away from home.

"When you're a father, a husband there's just things that come before you," Corbett said, "and he's the least selfish man that I know."

That unselfishness taught him a valuable lesson he carries onto the football field.

"In life, there's so little that you can control," Corbett said. "I had to make sure that I was doing what I could do for myself, for my family and my future, so that's making sure that I'm putting all the work into school and football that I can, because that's going to to be my job one day and I don't want to put my family through something that I went through."

Corbett was one of three draft picks to sign his rookie deal on Sunday. He said a few days prior that the first thing he would do with his newfound wealth would be to move his wife, Madison, a former Wolf Pack volleyball player, up to Cleveland.

"Just get her out here and get her a little time off," Corbett said. "She's been working so hard and going to school, working two jobs, she deserves it."

As for his parents and how he hopes to repay them.

"If I can somehow figure out a way to get my dad home, that would be awesome," he said.

One more thing: Any new offensive lineman has to be asked about meeting Browns offensive line coach Bob Wylie, one of the truly unique individuals in the NFL. It made waves last year when it came out that Wylie used a card game to test prospects at the combine. You can hear Wylie explain the game here.

Corbett didn't miss a beat when he was asked if he played the card game this year.

"I got a perfect score," he said. "That was fun. I like numbers so the nerd side of me came out there and I liked it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/05/austin_corbett_cleveland_brown.html

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/07/18 05:20 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Austin Corbett with the 33rd overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard