Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Too many people focus on a team's record. W's and L's are way overemphasized.

I think Hue's daughter hijacked another post. smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
After the first win.. then we can talk about being a sleeper.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Too many people focus on a team's record. W's and L's are way overemphasized.

I think Hue's daughter hijacked another post. smile

only if i really did - lol

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Browns are legit wild-card sleepers

Show me..

I've had my fill of "talk"...just show me.

Prove it... on the football field!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Show me..

I’m with you. I’m on press blackout. I’m done watching pressers with the coach or FO. It’s all the same crap, different mouths it’s coming out of. “We’re going to work hard. We believe in our process. We really like the guys we brought in. We’re changing the culture....blah blah blah” I’m done with listening to any of them. Win and I’ll start listening. Until then it’s just talk. Talk I’ve heard before. The culture will change with wins. Not with lip service.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Show me..

we've hear this song and dance before. yes, this year feels a little bit different with so many acquisitions and high picks but show us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I think my average win prediction from the previous 2 seasons was 4. 3 in 16, and 5 last year. In reality it was .5. The last team to go winless, proceeded to go 10-6 , and make the playoffs.

9-7, it will be fun how far ball control takes us

Actually, the Lions went from 0-16 to 2-14 to 6-10 and then 10-6... hopefully that's not our road lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
This is WAY DIFFERENT ... u guys can allow past failures to keep u negative ... i 100% UNDERSTAND IT ... we’ve stunk for so long ... i refuse to let past failures affect my ability to see what we have now ...

I have never been even close to this optomistic ... i’m Not sure since our return if i’ve Been “positive” about a season since our return .. Pit, Vers and I have spent the last 20 years being berated by the board for being “negative” when we were being REALISTS ...

Maybe thats why past failures don’t affect me as much .. i’ve never been BURNT cause i’ve Never went into a season with much expectation ... theres been 2 years since our return i’ve been dissapointed based off my expectations going into the season ...

The difference in talent in this league is MINIMAL ... If we had TT and the Jillls had Kizer last year ... we win 4 - 6 games and they don’t win that many instead of going to the playoffs ... and that was with LAST YEARS TALENT and a HC/OC ...

And guys ... not only did we AQUIRE ALOT MORE TALENT .... but the 1st and 2nd year kids will MAKE STRIDES ... all the KIDS will IMPROVE ...

We were a BETTER FOOTBALL team than people think ...

I cant believe this day has finally come ... I’M THE OPTOMIST ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
... i refuse to let past failures affect my ability to see what we have now ... We were a BETTER FOOTBALL team than people think ...

Very well said, Diam. I agree...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
This is WAY DIFFERENT ... u guys can allow past failures to keep u negative ... i 100% UNDERSTAND IT ... we’ve stunk for so long ... i refuse to let past failures affect my ability to see what we have now ...

I have never been even close to this optomistic ... i’m Not sure since our return if i’ve Been “positive” about a season since our return .. Pit, Vers and I have spent the last 20 years being berated by the board for being “negative” when we were being REALISTS ...

Maybe thats why past failures don’t affect me as much .. i’ve never been BURNT cause i’ve Never went into a season with much expectation ... theres been 2 years since our return i’ve been dissapointed based off my expectations going into the season ...

The difference in talent in this league is MINIMAL ... If we had TT and the Jillls had Kizer last year ... we win 4 - 6 games and they don’t win that many instead of going to the playoffs ... and that was with LAST YEARS TALENT and a HC/OC ...

And guys ... not only did we AQUIRE ALOT MORE TALENT .... but the 1st and 2nd year kids will MAKE STRIDES ... all the KIDS will IMPROVE ...

Hue is still the HC, Haslan still the president, and we still have a smart-ass has GM, so your point is numb.... We already had a team better than 1-31, yet...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats your opinion dawg ....

u can wallow in your “despair” over the state of our team til the season starts while i look forward to it with hope and optomism ...

Then you’ll either be thrilled or i’ll be peed off every week ...

Time will tell dawg ... time will tell ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kinda like the Yellow Brick Road sin-drum , lol .. Improved , yep I think so . Very Tough schedule , yep I think so ..lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Legit Sleeper" isn't all that flattering...

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I feel like this is setting us up for disappointment.

If you go into this season thinking we SHOULD compete for the playoffs, then yes there is a very good chance you will come out of it disappointed.

I'm looking at it like this.. I think 5 wins is about where we will end up.. but taking it as a positive that others think we have improved enough (on paper) to warrant an article like this

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
I see 11 very winnable games ...

Jets
Faiders
Rats x 2
Chargers
Tampa Bay
KC
Cinci x 2
Texans
Broncos

Theres no reason to think we can’t win at least six of those ... none what so ever ...

Then we pull out two or three against the panthers, saints, falcons and stilers x 2 ...

Quite frankly the panthers, saints and falcons don’t scare me much at all ... OK .. the aints do .. they could be really good this year ... the falcons not so much anymore ... they miss Shanny on O and there D SUCKS ASS ... same with the panthers ... cant put a finger on why they seem to underachieve every year but the one ...

Anyhow ... depending on injuries ... im VERY OPTOMISTIC for this year and IMO FOR GOOD REASON ... thumbsup

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Jets
Faiders
Rats x 2
Chargers
Tampa Bay
KC
Cinci x 2
Texans
Broncos

Theres no reason to think we can’t win at least six of those ... none what so ever ...

Then we pull out two or three against the panthers, saints, falcons and stilers x 2 ...

Quite frankly the panthers, saints and falcons don’t scare me much at all ... OK .. the aints do .. they could be really good this year ... the falcons not so much anymore ... they miss Shanny on O and there D SUCKS ASS ... same with the panthers ... cant put a finger on why they seem to underachieve every year but the one ...

Anyhow ... depending on injuries ... im VERY OPTOMISTIC for this year and IMO FOR GOOD REASON ... thumbsup

Don't see any winnable games on those, sorry.

All those teams are several notches above the Browns, maybe 1-2 games,just because in any given week we can win one game.

Adds that mid season we are going to melt down, Hue is going to be fired, Mayfield is going to start, and we will be in rebuild mode once again.

Last edited by rastanplan; 05/14/18 01:29 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Jets
Faiders
Rats x 2
Chargers
Tampa Bay
KC
Cinci x 2
Texans
Broncos

If you really believe this, you should borrow as much money as possible and bet it on the Browns wins over/under for 2018.

It looks like Vegas has the Browns at 5.5 wins.

You do really believe this right? Because we both know money talks.

Who knows? Maybe you'd win.

If I had $100 to blow, I would.

D
Legend
Legend
D
How much could i win if i put down 100 today?

I’m not a gambler in that regard .. im still peed i didn’t put down 100 on Baker when he was 33 to 1 ... i didnt really understand what it meant then once i realized it i was just a moron and never asked how to place the bet ..

Are u kidding me ... at 33:1 ... those were great odds for that ... im nota gambler but im not stupid either .. *L* ...

Anyhow ...

I think we will win over 5.5 games ... how much can i win and how do i place the bet? ...

Side note ... u made a reply to a post I made similiar to this one ... same subject, basically the same post by me u were responding to ...

And this is why i love u ... your response was so well crafted i could not tell if u were agreeing with me or making fun of me ... or doing both at the same time ... *LOL* ...

That’s SPECIAL dawg ... thumbsup

FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think we're staring down the barrel of a 7-9 season. Less than 6 wins is a total disappointment. Hopefully injuries are at a minimum and we can see these young players begin to blossom.

There is MUCH more talent on this team than people are giving us credit for. If we find a groove early, challenging for a playoff spot isn't out of the question. Playing meaningful games in December is on the docket this year... and it's pretty damned exciting. This is year one of a two year plan of returning to respectability, returning to the playoffs, no longer being the brunt of everyone's jokes, not having to say "because Cleveland", being the Factory of Excitement... "Pandemonium Palace". Taking this group of players and instilling some confidence, watching them "learn to win", will get rid of this stench in a hurry. It's way overdue.

Legit Playoff Contenders? That's just a line to sell a story. Bottom line? There are some very legitimate reasons to see an about face on futility and an immediate return to relevance.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
we will be in rebuild mode once again

after what sashi did we will be rebuilding for ten years lol

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:
we will be in rebuild mode once again

after what sashi did we will be rebuilding for ten years lol

Top five overall in draft selection in each of those ten years lol!!!!!!!!!!!! Dark years my friend, let's both hope they can get it right with all these high round picks that need to amount to something.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Diam above:

[kwote]And this is why i love u [/kwote]

No, I love you.

Hey I don't know how to do a bet in Vegas. I imagine it can be found out on-line (but maybe not placed via on-line, yeah, probably not)

O
Legend
Legend
O

Jets
Faiders
Rats x 2
Chargers
Tampa Bay
KC
Cinci x 2
Texans
Broncos

I'd only argue you on Chargers, KC, and Broncos. Also, it matters when during the season those winnable games happen. Our offense is not going to be locked in on day 1. Too many new things, new people, and not-so-new people that are still developing and learning.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
I love u more .... *L* ...

If u had to place the bet .... would u take over or under 5.5 wins?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Under, no matter the roster quality, I fully expect the browns to find a way to Hue it up. 2017 was the singel worst head coaching job in the history of the nfl.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You know which.

But the good thing for Browns fans is that 5.5 wins is where the money is.

It's what Vegas thinks. It's not fan chit chat.

Of course the Browns beat incredible odds last year.

I'll bet you could have got a 1,000-to-1 pay-off on "under 1/2 win".

If so, that would have been $100,000 on a $100 bet.

What a missed opportunity for Browns fans. smile

Let me know if you need any more betting advice.

Got to go. Startin' to rain. Later.

D
Legend
Legend
D
No, i don’t which....was that a spelling slam by u .. *L* ...

Thats why I asked ...

U take the over or the under sir ...

Ty dawg ...

O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw this article pop up on my phone and just kinda rolled my eyes.

Myself and a buddy here at work (Southern California) are both Browns fans, and we kinda laughed the other day about all the draft picks and FA moves like, "Dangit! They got us again, we're excited for the season!"

I feel like the words Browns and Wild Card (as in playoffs) is REALLY setting ourselves up for disappointment... again. My expectation for us is that we play watchable football at some point this season. I don't expect us to be playing watchable football game 1. There are just too many rookies, 2nd year players, and new FAs and new coaches and stuff for us to finally look like an actual NFL team on the field.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
The Browns are a improved team.

Dorsey has brought in more talent, depth, and position competition both from free agency and the draft.

Now it is up to the coaching staff to incorporate a playing personality. Then they have to teach the players the schemes and how they have to be executed.

How quickly this happens and to what degree will dictate the wins and loses. I believe a winning season is not out of the question.

Taylor just has to play up to the level he has already shown. He is not going to carry an offense but he can be effective with weapons around him. Dorsey has brought the weapons. Haley will do the job of getting them ready. Haley has the players to run an effective offense that should be able to score.

Williams now has the defensive pieces to execute the defense he wants to play. Williams is in a place a lot coaches would like to be in. He was part of the decision making process in getting the players that can play his scheme. He has the players at all three levels (DL, LB's DB's) to make a difference.

You can never predict injuries. However, for the first time in many moons the team should be competitive and interesting to watch.

Hopefully we will be playing games that still mean something after Thanksgiving.

All Pro
All Pro
Five wins would be a huge improvement over last year. Eight wins would be insane. Nine wins, not gonna happen. If the Browns have taught me anything it's to curb my enthusiasm.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

Jets
Faiders
Rats x 2
Chargers
Tampa Bay
KC
Cinci x 2
Texans
Broncos

If you really believe this, you should borrow as much money as possible and bet it on the Browns wins over/under for 2018.

It looks like Vegas has the Browns at 5.5 wins.

You do really believe this right? Because we both know money talks.

Who knows? Maybe you'd win.

If I had $100 to blow, I would.

I would not make a large wager on the over/under at 5.5.. I think that is right where it should be.. I think it will come down to us getting out of the gate.. (not the Steelers or Saints, that would be asking a lot).. but then we have Jets, Raiders, Ravens, Chargers, Buccaneers.. that's 5 games and if we can win 2 or 3 of those, I think we can win 6 or 7.. if we find ways to lose those, this team could very easily slip back into the "here we go again" mode and it could be a 1 or 2 win season with a bunch of "showing up" in the second half of the season..

I'd take Rastan's bet if he was willing to bet we won't win more than 1 or 2 though..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
When I look at the Browns roster, I see a lot of average to above players a a lot of key positions.

QB: Taylor and Mayfield.
RB: Hyde, Chubb, and Duke
WR: Gordon and Landry
TE: Njoku and DeValve
OL: Bitonio, Corbett, Trotter, Zeittler, and Hubbard

DL: Garrett, Ogbah, Ogunjobi, Brantley, Smith, and our rookies.
LB: Collins, Schobert, Kirksey, Avery
DB: Ward, Boddy-Calhoun, Carrie, Gaines, Kindred, Mitchell, (maybe) Peppers and Randall. Also we have Wilson who was drafted last year,who might be something.

That;s not a stacked roster, but it is, at least, an average roster, with some standout players on it.

That's a whole lot better than what we had to offer last year.

I repeat.

This team's success will depend, a lot, on health.If we don't lose a lot of guys to injury, we can win 6-9 games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Signs of the Apocalypse and that the last seal has been opened
  • mac and I agree
  • Diam is being optimistic.
  • Diam's spelling has magically cleared up (mostly).

Quote:
affect my ability to see what we have now

I see what we have, and I see the potential of what is here for both this season and beyond.
I'm waiting to see if the guys running this show can pull it all together and get it to perform up to its capabilities.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Less than 6 wins is a total disappointment.

Please let me know when 50 percent of the Browns fans agree with you. Then I can fight with a whole bunch of people.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Right up there with "Bona Fide Long-Odds Crapshoot" is closer. Or "Participation Trophy Pipe Dreamers" perhaps. No props until we win some. I would love to leave some shock and awe victims in our wake for a change.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Signs of the Apocalypse and that the last seal has been opened
mac and I agree
Diam is being optimistic.
Diam's spelling has magically cleared up (mostly).

LOL
At least you know where you are in the stream of time. thumbsup

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: jeepnstein
Five wins would be a huge improvement over last year. Eight wins would be insane. Nine wins, not gonna happen. If the Browns have taught me anything it's to curb my enthusiasm.

Five wins would be a total failure. Total failure. We should have won 3-4 last season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
5 wins is about what I expect. Maybe 3-4 and Maybe 6-7 if we really develop and have some luck

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm still trying to figure out what a "Legit Wild Card Sleeper" is...lol laugh

That first game will say a lot. We almost beat them in the opener last year. I think we are better and they are worse than last year.

I'd also like to see what happens to Big Ben if we smack him in the jaw (figure of speech) early and often. Will he quit?

Got to stop getting too excited...but its a long time coming dawgs. This is the best look at success we have had in a long long time!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

If 5.5 is the over/under for the Browns win total, I would avoid the bet. That seems like a very smart number. If I had to choose between the two and didn't have to risk money, I would take the under.

I see some positives:

--Landry was a huge acquisition.

--The young guys are a year older.

--Taylor is better than than Kizer.

--The secondary looks better. Ward is a real player. Randall can't be worse than Peppers. And we brought in Gaines, who I like.

There are some negatives:

--Hue is a better OC than Haley. There are real reasons why Hue was the hot candidate for a HC and Haley was not a few years ago when Hue was at Cinci and Haley at Pit. I am extremely disappointed to hear Haley has complete control of the O.

--LT is going to be an issue.

--I think Crow is a better back than Hyde.

--I had Chubb ranked 7th at RB before the draft. You can read my analysis on the Ranking and Evaluating the Running Backs thread in the Draft forum. Dude is not the same guy post-injury. His inability to turn the corner is going to be costly in the NFL.

--We brought in more low character guys.

--Sashi gave us a "losing culture." That is hard for young teams to overcome. All that losing is like an anchor around a team's neck.

--The draft was terribly disappointing in regards to what it could have been. We "reached" on almost every pick.

--We still don't have a quality qb. People are overrating Taylor. He isn't that good.

Summary:

I think we are a better team, but I also think that our lack of experience, youth, losing culture, issues at QB, and having so many low-character players is a problem. I think we might win 4-6 games, but it could get ugly if we don't win one early.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns are Legit Wild Card Sleepers

Link Copied to Clipboard