Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
What does it say about the NFL that a team can go 0-16 and still end up with a tough schedule the next year?

I see this type of statement every year. Where you place one year affects 2 of your games the following the year. Two. That's not much.

It affects at least 8.
It determines who you play in those two divisions, sure, but it also inflates the win percentage of the other three teams in your division, whose inflated percentage now accounts for almost 38% of your Strength of Schedule. Add in any repeat opponents from the previous winless season, and you are all but guaranteed to have one of the "tougher" schedules on paper.... it's just math.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The point u made that was HUGE that most just COMPLETELY IGNORE ... and i agreed with everything u said ... EVERYTHING ... this is just the one that stuck out to me and opened the door to this comment ...

U mentioned about Haley not having to be “led along” were the words u used i believe ... that is important and i agree ... on a side note .. we now have a brain trust of Hue, Haley and Zampese on O ... i think that is a HUGE PLUS for us ... and if there not working as a “team” creating things for this group of O talent off of Haley’s base O then THEIR MORONS AND WERE $CREWED ...

I just don’t get it ... i could care less how bad a job u thought Hue did last year ... THE MAN KNOWS O .... if u can’t admit that ... U have the football version of Trump Derangement Syndrome .. *L* .... why in the hell would Haley or anyone else not take advantage of all the tools around them much less that good of a tool ... crap ... i should go change that analogy ... *L* ...

Seriously, do u undertand that ... is there any LOGICAL reason they will not calloborate and work together putting this O together? .... your thoughts on that one ...

OK anyhow ... long story short ....

Haley is EXPERIENCED and didnt need training was your point i believe ... well let’s use this example ... Hue has been the HC/OC of our Browns for 32 games now .... we always talk about the lack of talent ... but the fact he was HC and OC of a team that was YOUNG and INEXPERIENCED is hardly ever mentioned ...

Look at the QB position alone since he’s been here ... he brought in an experienced dude in RG3 and he also had another vet in McCown and then Cody to start year 1 ...

RG3 starts game 1 and gets hurt ...
McCown starts game 2 and gets hurt ...

Then Cody the rook starts and then theres a plethora of changes with RG3 starting a few games at the end and McCown starting one maybe two more ... the rest of the starts wwere with rooks or guys off the street ... did we use guys aoff the street that year ... i can’t remember ...

So he got one start out of they guy that got all the reps and was #1 from the 2nd we signed him .... then we got one start from his experienced back up .. after that it was a bunch of rooks and street guys until the injured came back and hadn’t taken a rep in weeks in McCowns case or months in RG3 ...

Then last year he had the rookie and the two 2nd year guys ...

Think about that for a guy with one of the youngest and inexperienced teams in the NFL outside of the QB position ... then u factor in that QB situation .... then just to tilt the scales a wee bit more lets have the HC also be the OC ...

I’m no fan of Hues and have been critical of him ... but holy crap ... just with talent the deck was stacked against him ... then u add in all the youth and inexperience and a debacle at the QB position .... no one should be HC/OC in that situation ... ESPECIALLY HUE ... his mental make up could not handle losing ... his first year i was worried about his health ... seriously ... he looked that bad when they panned over and it seemed every week he looked worse and worse ... i’m not saying that in a negative way ... he wanted to win so bad he just couldn’t handle it ...

EVERYTHING is so different .... CLEAN SLATE BABY ... GO GET UM HUE ... thumbsup

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
What does it say about the NFL that a team can go 0-16 and still end up with a tough schedule the next year?

I see this type of statement every year. Where you place one year affects 2 of your games the following the year. Two. That's not much.

It affects at least 8.
It determines who you play in those two divisions, sure, but it also inflates the win percentage of the other three teams in your division, whose inflated percentage now accounts for almost 38% of your Strength of Schedule. Add in any repeat opponents from the previous winless season, and you are all but guaranteed to have one of the "tougher" schedules on paper.... it's just math.

If you're curious about the scheduling formula, here's how the NFL does it. Under the formula implemented in 2002, every team plays 16 games as follows:

Home and away against its three division opponents (six games).

The four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (four games).

The four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (four games).

Two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings (two games). These games match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions that the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference are matched in the same way each year.

Beginning in 2010, a change was made to how teams are paired in the schedule rotation to ensure that teams playing the AFC West and NFC West divisions would not be required to make two West Coast trips (e.g., at Los Angeles Chargers and at Oakland), while other teams in their division had none (e.g., at Kansas City and at Denver).

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Yes, that is correct.

And Strength of Schedule for the coming year is based on the previous season's performances. We were 0-16 - so, for all 13 teams that we played, we counted as a W, and for six of those teams we counted as TWO W's.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The point u made that was HUGE that most just COMPLETELY IGNORE ... and i agreed with everything u said ... EVERYTHING ... this is just the one that stuck out to me and opened the door to this comment ...

U mentioned about Haley not having to be “led along” were the words u used i believe ... that is important and i agree ... on a side note .. we now have a brain trust of Hue, Haley and Zampese on O ... i think that is a HUGE PLUS for us ... and if there not working as a “team” creating things for this group of O talent off of Haley’s base O then THEIR MORONS AND WERE $CREWED ...

I just don’t get it ... i could care less how bad a job u thought Hue did last year ... THE MAN KNOWS O .... if u can’t admit that ... U have the football version of Trump Derangement Syndrome .. *L* .... why in the hell would Haley or anyone else not take advantage of all the tools around them much less that good of a tool ... crap ... i should go change that analogy ... *L* ...

Seriously, do u undertand that ... is there any LOGICAL reason they will not calloborate and work together putting this O together? .... your thoughts on that one ...

lol, are you (Diam) referring to me with all these You's in the final three paragraphs? Or are you just referring to "You" as people in general?

I was just saying that he didn't need to be led along, which gave Hue more freedom to work with the team as a whole, focus on in-game management, motivating his guys, and working on what he wants for his weekly game plans.

I'm not being critical about Hue's understanding of offense or even Hue's Offense. The only thing I'm critical of is how Hue seemed overwhelmed last season with all the duties that he took on as Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. I think that's never a good idea for a new head coach. Usually the team is young and the head coach is trying to implement a new system and an entirely new way of running the show.

As to your question:
The one thing I will say is that while Hue is a quality resource, egos are always a factor in almost any job. Especially with guys who've done it for awhile. Hopefully they both understand that, because I do have a feeling that Haley has an ego. That's all part of management (and being managed) though I guess.

That and Haley and Zampese don't really have a relationship I don't think. Hopefully they can work together as well. Cause I've always heard good things about Zampese as a QB coach

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 06/05/18 05:34 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Reffering to the dawgs that want Hue locked out of all the offensive meetings and his only input should be submitting the starting lineup to nfl.com on game day .... thumbsup

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
... let them wallow in their own little Pit of Misery ...

Dilly dilly!

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Grouping people and then labeling their opinion as one, without knowing it entirely is the epitomy of an agenda. Only to be seconded by someone replying to it in the manner ddubia did...

I didn't mention any names nor did I acknowledge the "group". I simply referenced "those" who are quick to demean Hue when the opportunity arises. You? I don't know much about your specific opinions because I rarely read anything you write. I gave up on that quite some time ago when it became obvious that you often talk out of your ass.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh, and I missed this...

ddubia talking to Vers about agendas! rofl Thanks for the morning laugh.

So, I have an agenda because I support the team and everybody on it? Or is it because you don't hear me bagging on players or coaches? The least I could do is hate on someone involved with the team to, you know, show that I am fair and balanced. Is that it?

Talking out your ass again.

Last edited by ddubia; 06/05/18 07:24 PM.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
ddub, I think Memphis was insulting me and not you. It's what he does. It's not enough for him to not like me, he has to get others to join in.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, if that's the case I'm glad I didn't say anything about him that isn't true.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You quoted what you wanted to quote and not the entire though.

If you had you would realize you are pretty much saying what I said.

That wasn't a rip on Hue. You can read my comment again if you wish. I am not going to try and explain it to you.

I quoted the part that I disagreed with which was dealing with Hue's role in game planning. The beginning part which dealt with the QBs and who decides who will play and when I agree with.

I don't know what you are disagreeing with. I said that Hue and his coordinators would get together and set the basis of the game plan. Then, as is usual, the coordinators would iron out the details and at the end Hue would pull it all together.

I can't help it you and Vers want to keep Hue as offensive coordinator, play caller, and head coach.

Hue is the head coach. I didn't think I needed to explain he was going to have input.

Earlier I said I hope the O guys don't listen to him all that much, and i don't. Not in a insubordinate way. I want everybody in agreement on what they think is the best way to beat next weeks opponent. I just hope Hue can distinguish between his role as head coach and the role of the people he has as coordinators.

Hue likes the limelight.

My son made a good point. He stands by the tunnel when the players come out. Two years in a row he yelled out at Hue and Hue came over for selfies. Sorry, I don't think Bill Belicheck does that.

I shrugged it off at first much as you will, but upon reflection, my son is right. The head coach doesn't need to be over taking pictures with fans like it is picture day. It's game day.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
How many times are you going to tell that smear story? And why is it so important for you to smear him? You have joined the dark side.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
How many times are you going to tell that smear story? And why is it so important for you to smear him? You have joined the dark side.

Can't remember sharing it, but if you say so, I share it because I think it's important. I don't think it is a good approach...do you? Deep down, I don't think so.

I am worried about this HBO deal. I hope Hue spends the camp talking to the players rather than talking to the cameras.

It's a new year Vers. Hue is the head coach. I got in to a discussion with Ddub. I was supporting hue and he got on me because I didn't go in to great detail on Hue's input in to the gameplan...lol

Hue's record is 1-31, but that is done. The scales sit in balance at this point. Last year and the year before don't matter at this point. They are just a pile of rocks to the side. This year is what matters here and now. We are sitting at 0-0.

Let's go out and win.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see us go .500 in the division this year. I'd call that legit improvement.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'd like to see us go .500 in the division this year. I'd call that legit improvement.

That would be a good start, then win 4 others.

I am not even calling for a .500 record. Win 7 games. The key is not losing 10 or more.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
The over/under is 5.5 games. Thus, if the Browns don't win 7 games and you rage on about firing Hue, you will not be aligned w/the smart money and instead w/vindictiveness because Sashi was fired.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The over/under is 5.5 games. Thus, if the Browns don't win 7 games and you rage on about firing Hue, you will not be aligned w/the smart money and instead w/vindictiveness because Sashi was fired.

Come on man, don't put words in to my mouth.

You keep bringing up Sashi. You keep thinking I liked the guy. He did some good things, he did some stupid things, but in the end, I don't care about him. Screw him. I like Dorsey. I loved the Mayfield pick. That is who I would have picked. I loved the Ward pick and the Chubb pick. I loved the choice of Calloway. A very good move.

Here is the deal between you and I. I think I am pretty good at cleaning slates....I did a lot of that in elementary school...lol. You don't seem as good.

I don't care about some over and under number. Plus, my number is only 1 over the real over....there are no half wins unless there is a tie.

I want 7 wins as a minimum...it's not like I am calling for 10 wins or die. Being only 1 win over the line, don't call me unrealistic. Maybe rather than me lowering the expectations, you should up yours? Just a question.

Thanks

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, Vegas isn't as smart as you are in setting the over/under. Please.

I'm not going to overestimate the team. I'm hopeful, but pretending they are better than they are leads to the call for people to be fired. We've done that for years and you guys still not have learned from your past mistakes.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Grouping people and then labeling their opinion as one, without knowing it entirely is the epitomy of an agenda. Only to be seconded by someone replying to it in the manner ddubia did...

I didn't mention any names nor did I acknowledge the "group". I simply referenced "those" who are quick to demean Hue when the opportunity arises. You? I don't know much about your specific opinions because I rarely read anything you write. I gave up on that quite some time ago when it became obvious that you often talk out of your ass.

You quoted Vers stupidly grouping people together on a broad, singular opinion, something he does all the time (incorrectly, I might add). Then you chime in commenting on those people by referencing an agenda on Hue. You did THE EXACT SAME THING Vers did. No one is talking out of their ass. This is the second time in recent weeks you done this.

You were such a better poster when you weren't holding Vers' beer for him. rofl

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Oh, and I missed this...

ddubia talking to Vers about agendas! rofl Thanks for the morning laugh.

So, I have an agenda because I support the team and everybody on it? Or is it because you don't hear me bagging on players or coaches? The least I could do is hate on someone involved with the team to, you know, show that I am fair and balanced. Is that it?

Talking out your ass again.

You should have reread my post a couple more times before replying.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nothing he said was incorrect. You guys are biased, vengeful, and bullying. You suck the life out of this board.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Nothing he said was incorrect. You guys are biased, vengeful, and bullying. You suck the life out of this board.

And yet, this board thrives when you get suspended. That's odd!

If you'd stop erroneuously trying to manufacture people's opinions that are broad, and again, incorrect, then you wouldn't always be called to the carpet. It's really that simple. Oh, and you wouldn't indirectly drag others down with you.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Reffering to the dawgs that want Hue locked out of all the offensive meetings and his only input should be submitting the starting lineup to nfl.com on game day .... thumbsup

Diam....who is actually saying this?

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
You had me until the Trump bash...lol laugh boo

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't recall anyone saying this... superconfused

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats a fair question .... but heres the thing ....

I stay out of this crap for a reason ... this is one of the very first times i’ve ever commented ... i am now done with it ...

U guys can continue to point fingers and blame each other and stay in the muck ... Its simply not that important to me ...

Anyone who reads the boards on even a semi consistent basis knows whose who and has their own thoughts on it ...

U, peen, vers and ddub can figure it out ... get back to me when you guys reach an agreement on who falls in witch category so I can file it in the dumpster ... thumbsup

I’ll go back to talking football with Vers and ddub and the majority of others that just want to talk football ...

Enjoy dawg .... u know ... at the end of the day... all i hope for at this point is that your guys argument changes from whose to blame for losing to who gets the credit for winning ...

Can we all agree on that ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
You had me until the Trump bash...lol laugh boo

It was a JOKE ... smilies and everything ..... good god man ... Portland did the same thing the other day ...

I come here to have fun, not to have hire a lawyer to proof read everything i post ..

WTF ... and this isn’t directed just at U ...

Vers is right ... the FUN is being sucked out of this place .. his reasons are just different than mine but the end result is the same ...

Its OK DAWGS ... even browns fans are ALLOWED TO LAUGH EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE!!!!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

I’m superconfused also ...

Have u noticed over the years that sometimes i tend to exxagarate my points ... if not, may the good lord help u ... wink ...

I guess this is my fault for getting involved in something i have previously avoided like the plague ...

I think i need a break ... this place is getting way to “serious” for me ... i like to talk football and break some chops doing it ... i don’t expect every word i post to be put under the microscope ...

I would like to retract my previous statement and amend it to (this is going to be an exxageration so please take it with a grain of salt .... i expect the spelling/grammar smack ... thats well earned ... *L* ... see .. I POKED FUN OF MYSELF ... its called MAKING LIGHT OF A SITUATION .. ) ...

Anyhow ... i would like to now say ... EVERYONE IS TREATING HUE FAIRLY no matter how much they blame him for the last two years ...

Is that better guys ... thumbsup

I’m outta here now ... go ahead and bash away dawgs .... tongue

Legend
Legend
J/C ....

Pure Football.

banghead

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know...and it all started when I said it was going to be OK, Hue and the coordinators would set the basis of the game plan, the coordinators would do the lug work on the plan, and Hue would pull it all together on gameday.

Go figure?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

It affects at least 8.

I get what you are saying, and I do get the math.

My point was not meant to be that deep. 14 of our 16 games are predetermined. Whether we were 0-16, 8-8 or 16-0. We play the Steelers twice, no matter what. And I do not think how good or bad we are one year makes them better or worse the following year.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I want Hue locked out of all the offensive meetings and his only input should be submitting the starting lineup to nfl.com on game day.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yeah, Vegas isn't as smart as you are in setting the over/under. Please.

I'm not going to overestimate the team. I'm hopeful, but pretending they are better than they are leads to the call for people to be fired. We've done that for years and you guys still not have learned from your past mistakes.

That line takes coaching into account. It's not like only the roster is evaluated.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think strength of schedule is bogus.

Ours will always be inflated because we lose. For instance the past 2 seasons the entire division has gotten 2 free wins off the Browns. And even with that only the Steelers made the playoffs last season from our division.

I also think the timing of playing us affects things as well. For instance the Bengals were 0-3 and could barely score a touchdown when they faced us the first time. They finished the season 7-6 from that point.

Our division knows we are a doormat. That won't change until we can beat a division opponent. You win all 6 and that changes things dramatically. So naturally, the best teams will have easier scheduling because they aren't playing themselves.

I actually chuckle a little when you see one guy saying we could win 6 or 7 games while another guy snaps back, did you see our schedule?!

There's only 16 games. And when you're the worst team in the division, your schedule is going to harder than the best team in the division. When you finish 0-16 you are going to have a tough schedule the following season. It's inevitable.

In my opinion things such as travel and short weeks are more of a factor than the opponents.

In the past few seasons, including this one, I think the easiest part of the schedule has been the first 5 weeks. We were 0-5 both times and then we hit the tough games... team morale is down and at 0-5 you already know you won't make the playoffs. Even though you try it's never your best.

We play 4 of the first 6 games at home... and 4 of our last 6 on the road.

The Patriots play 4 of their first 6 at home and 3 of the last 5 at home. Start fast, end strong.

Steelers almost the same thing.

So with that, I don't think our schedule is all that difficult. Not any more difficult than anyone in the division.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ddub, I think Memphis was insulting me and not you. It's what he does. It's not enough for him to not like me, he has to get others to join in.
Like you dont do that enough on your own

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.... i expect the spelling/grammar smack ...

Wait for it.......... catfight rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.... i expect the spelling/grammar smack ...

Wait for it.......... catfight rofl
Diam and I go at it sometimes, and we have for many years, but I have always felt it was all in good fun and kind of tongue in cheek. I like Diam, he is fun to battle with . Its like arguing with Archie Bunker.

But I have to admit, sometimes it is REALLY hard not to throw grammar smack at him. Especially when he is calling people idiot while using the wrong words while doing it , weather u like it or not, i dont care witch it is

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1462468/1

rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1462468/1

rofl

Could you define the actual post so that any who care to view it can avoid having to go through multiple pages to find that sentence?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns are Legit Wild Card Sleepers

Link Copied to Clipboard