Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Link

A little discouraging, and from the writer. I mean, in no way shape or form, should ANY rookie really be ready to complete after 6 OTA practices.....what a joke. Wentz wasn't even ready to compete at this time.

A year after the Browns thrust then-rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer into a Week One starting role, the Browns appear intent to do the opposite, keeping quarterback Baker Mayfield on ice for as long as possible.

If that’s the plan, Mayfield is making it easier to implement. Here’s an assessment of the competition, if there is one, between Mayfield and Tyrod Taylor, from Dan Labbe of the Cleveland Plain Dealer: “This is where I tell you that, based on the six practices of OTAs and minicamp that were open to the media, Mayfield did not look ready to compete with Taylor for the No. 1 quarterback job.”

Of course, Mayfield has a habit of taking over quickly, like he did as a walk on at Texas Tech and then as a transfer at Oklahoma. And if Mayfield somehow becomes the clear-cut best option in Cleveland, the Browns may have no choice but to play him.

The deck seems to be stacked in Taylor’s favor, however. And here’s another possible reason for it, one that won’t get mentioned during many/any press conferences: G.M. John Dorsey may be betting on someone other than Hue Jackson coaching the team next year, and Dorsey may want Mayfield to be handled not by Jackson but by his successor.

Regardless, Mayfield was picked to be the long-term starter. Whether that includes short-term remains to be seen.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Its June bro ... hes been in the systems for less than 2 months ...

We’ll know a lot more when he comes back for TC .. NOW is when he will learn a ton and we’ll see how he handles it when he gets back ...

I don’t expect him to be ready to handle things good enough to unseat TT but if he is we won’t find out til camp at the earliest ..

I would guess Baker’s head is buried in the playbook and he is talking to a wide range of folks trying to gain as much knowledge as he can and i would imagine he’s spending a TON OF TIME IN THE VIRTUAL REALITY thing that Keenum used last year ...

This is key time for Baker’s learning curve ... lets see what the slope looks like when he gets back at the end of next month ...

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
That what I meant. The article is discouraging as it pertains to the writer. he should know better that after 6 OTA practices, there is no real way to evaluate ANYONE. Let alone a QB. I think this guys editor should be worried.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
That what I meant. The article is discouraging as it pertains to the writer. he should know better that after 6 OTA practices, there is no real way to evaluate ANYONE. Let alone a QB. I think this guys editor should be worried.

Good point ... they may wanna transfer him to the World Cup for now ... *L* ...

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Why? You took the article and shared it. The Editor has already won.

Legend
Legend
I'd have been amazed if after 2 months in the system he was ready to go....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe if you take the article in its context it makes perfect sense. Nobody should expect Baker to be ready to compete for the #1 QB spot at this early stage. I believe the reporter simply stated the obvious.

You have an eight year veteran in Taylor with four years as a starter going up against a kid who was drafted less than two months ago. I think the way you take the article is more about perception than what was actually written.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would give Baker all the time he needs no need rushing him, Taylor will do fine for a year or even more if need be ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Pit, I think when the writer deals in facts it does make sense. It is when he strays into his creative writing mode with crap about the by Dorsey’s wants Baker on the bench that he gets wacky.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I tend to agree with you there.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I read this yesterday ... I think Tyrod knows the NFL really well (he's seen all levels) and is a phenomenal leader/preparer. Baker shouldn't be there yet.

I do hope he improves under center though.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Ugh, soccer.

I remember flipping through the channels one day and hearing the announcer say "This is the most exciting nil-nil game I have ever seen." crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Ugh, soccer.

I remember flipping through the channels one day and hearing the announcer say "This is the most exciting nil-nil game I have ever seen." crazy

When a goalie can sit in a lawn chair for 90% of a game is it a sport?

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think the writer was just trying to take a jab at Hue.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Ugh, soccer.

It's an acquired taste. I couldn't stand soccer 20+ years ago...I just didn't "get" it. Then my then-5-year old son started playing and playing well...after watching about 50 games (at various levels), the light came on for me. I too can enjoy a nil nil game now. Crazy...I know.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I think the writer was just trying to take a jab at Hue.

Agreed...I thought that jab was BS...and I'm not exactly a Hue fan. That was just goofy and unnecessary.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Ugh, soccer

You echo my sentiment.

[Linked Image]

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea , That Idiot Mike Florio was spouting the same crap. "Dorsey doesn't want Hue to touch Baker since he will be fired at the end of the year anyway.." Amazing how these talking heads even stay on the air. Lawyers and Politicians should be BANNED from any sports talk. Florio tries to be both.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend

Ugh, soccer.

Well, we know he has had plenty to choose from!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Ugh, soccer.

It's an acquired taste. I couldn't stand soccer 20+ years ago...I just didn't "get" it. Then my then-5-year old son started playing and playing well...after watching about 50 games (at various levels), the light came on for me. I too can enjoy a nil nil game now. Crazy...I know.

Same thing here ... I HATED soccer ... my nephew started when he was a kid, he’s 16 now ... its much better than i thought ... i appreciate the play a lot more since learning about the game ..

Funny what kids can do for U ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not even at training camp and a rookie QB vs a seasoned vet who has actually had success and he's not ready? Gee, ya don't think?

It's like throwing hot water in the freezer and expecting ice in the pending ten seconds.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A

"Dorsey may want Mayfield to be handled not by Jackson but by his successor."

This is nonsense.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I too can enjoy a nil nil game now. Crazy...I know.

Because it's as much about the game as it is the points.... right?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

"Dorsey may want Mayfield to be handled not by Jackson but by his successor."

This is nonsense.

I agree. If Dorsey wanted a different coach to handle the 1st pick QB, he would have insisted on picking his own coach from day 1.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
I too can enjoy a nil nil game now. Crazy...I know.

Because it's as much about the game as it is the points.... right?

Very much so.

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. TT is actually a GOOD QB.

2. From what I have listened to what BM has stated is he is at this time looking to work on his game to become the best NFL QB he can be. He is not looking to make plays and improvise the position. He is working on parts of the game that is not in his comfort level so that in the near future they will be. He is more concerned with his 3 n 5 step drops and perfecting that to become 2nd nature then his connections with WRs.

3. I suspect he will probably be ready to "COMPETE" around 2-3 games into the season. Which basically the COMPETITION is over by then. What happens when training camp starts, you never know he is a fast learner.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I don't care how good or bad Tyrod is or isn't as long as he is good enough to not grossly hold back the development of the rest of the offense and isn't consistently killing us the way that position has in recent years.

If he achieves that much, he will be one of the best pickups we've made in a decade.

As for Baker - I don't care if he is "ready" or "not ready". I don't want to see him at all this year unless we are blowing out an opponent 47-3. If he ends up on the field, we've failed in other areas, and I prefer that not be the case.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't care how good or bad Tyrod is or isn't as long as he is good enough to not grossly hold back the development of the rest of the offense and isn't consistently killing us the way that position has in recent years.

If he achieves that much, he will be one of the best pickups we've made in a decade.

As for Baker - I don't care if he is "ready" or "not ready". I don't want to see him at all this year unless we are blowing out an opponent 47-3. If he ends up on the field, we've failed in other areas, and I prefer that not be the case.

This i agree with kind of. Especially Tyrod. I'm not expecting as special as some of these articles seem to be making him out to be. But the biggest thing is, he's a sense of stability as we install a new offense.

It's one thing to learn a new offense. It's another to be a Rookie QB learning a completely different offense than the one you knew in college and adjusting to simply being an NFL QB.

Whether Baker is better than Tyrod individually is one thing. I want what's best for Our Offense as a whole. I think a veteran is that. Had these guys been playing in the same system for years, I could see more of a competition. But as they aren't, I want as much stability at the QB position as possible as the offense gels together. Baker can be plugged in later.

My mindset is that Baker is the QB of the future. That's the overall plan. Tyrod is a one year rental, pretty much no matter what. And once we play Baker, we can't stop. So we better be real sure before we put him in, because once he's in, that's it for the foreseeable future

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you're very accurate. I mean we read the hype every year. This year even if you read between the lines we do have a lot more talent. IMO there's no way not to see the improvement. Yet at the same time I try to keep it real.

Taylor is not the best thing since sliced bread. The odds of him making some huge stride after eight years in the league and four years as a starter aren't realistic. Impossible? No. Likely? Most certainly not.

He is enough of an improvement for us to win some games. He'll do just fine as a place holder. But the above posts have certainly pointed out his flaws and limitations.

Those who underestimate him will be pleasantly surprised. Those who overestimate him will be very disappointed. The truth squarely lies somewhere in the middle with him. Nobody in the NFL is trading away great QB's for a third round pick. Price does matter.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c

I wouldn't say Tyrod is a good QB, but he's very seasoned and experienced ... he KNOWS how to play QB in the NFL. Honestly, this is the best case scenario for a #1 overall pick IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
The last few posts have been very solid. Good thoughts.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t expect it to happen ... i think Baker has to much to overcome to be ready and I am no fan of TT but he’s not a bum by any stretch ...

But what i don’t understand is that if Baker is ready and can play like Dak, Wentz or Watson there rookie year and PROVE HES READY why in the heck U wouldn’t want him to play ...

If by some minor miracle Baker comes back and has a full grasp of the O and his drops and everything else that goes along with it and he is proving to be able to read D’s and be able to keep up with the speed of the game .... i don’t understand why some would want him riding the pines ...

I don’t get that for one second ... i don’t see it happening ... nothing short of a minor miracle ... but to sit him just to sit him doesn’t make sense to me ...

Once the season starts then how TT is playing will become a factor .... what i do agree with is if TT is not playing good and Baker is not ready even if hes better than TT i still would not want him in ...

NO BAKER TIL HE’S READY!!!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree, and disagree.

I want him to play when he is ready to play.

I don't want it to be that he is't going to play until the 17th game of his career. Now, if he isn't ready, maybe it is never.

He is the future. There is no saying we have to see what he can do in games so we know what to do in the draft, but I don't want to predetermine a set number of games that he should sit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don’t expect it to happen ... i think Baker has to much to overcome to be ready and I am no fan of TT but he’s not a bum by any stretch ...

But what i don’t understand is that if Baker is ready and can play like Dak, Wentz or Watson there rookie year and PROVE HES READY why in the heck U wouldn’t want him to play ...

If by some minor miracle Baker comes back and has a full grasp of the O and his drops and everything else that goes along with it and he is proving to be able to read D’s and be able to keep up with the speed of the game .... i don’t understand why some would want him riding the pines ...

I don’t get that for one second ... i don’t see it happening ... nothing short of a minor miracle ... but to sit him just to sit him doesn’t make sense to me ...

Once the season starts then how TT is playing will become a factor .... what i do agree with is if TT is not playing good and Baker is not ready even if hes better than TT i still would not want him in ...

The flip side; we've all heard, from national media and from opponent's fans, that "Cleveland is the place where QBs go to die." Then comes the parade of names of QB's whose careers started in Cleveland and went nowhere. How many guys have we rushed into a role they aren't ready for? Kessler and Kizer in just the last 2 years.

If Baker is ready, and I mean ready to shine, then absolutely put him in and don't look back. But if there is any question, err on the side of caution and keep him in the bubble wrap for a year. Don't risk the investment just to see an early return.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

The flip side; we've all heard, from national media and from opponent's fans, that "Cleveland is the place where QBs go to die." Then comes the parade of names of QB's whose careers started in Cleveland and went nowhere. How many guys have we rushed into a role they aren't ready for? Kessler and Kizer in just the last 2 years.

If Baker is ready, and I mean ready to shine, then absolutely put him in and don't look back. But if there is any question, err on the side of caution and keep him in the bubble wrap for a year. Don't risk the investment just to see an early return.

Don't risk the investment at any cost... certainly not in Week 1. Could we actually sit here and agree the Browns should start a rookie QB, Week 1? Only one condition should make that possible, TT is injured.

If Baker is shining at the end of preseason, with no real game time. he'll be a shooting star by week 8... Just by getting more snaps in practice and watching an NFL team, and an NFL QB, work through planning and executing an offensive game plan from week to week. Forget the fact that "shining" in the way Diam describes is very few and far between for rookie QBs. Yes, I agree, if so... get excited, but DO NOT put the horse ahead of the cart.

We're not looking at ending our futility at QB as the final hump in competing for a championship. Let's go out there and establish an offense that can actually compete at an NFL level, with a QB that has proven he can, before we let the Baker Mania begin.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
BSPN loves to trture us with that cheap shot stat, heard them throw it out yesterday on air at end of a "show" for no good reason. They hate Cleveland and love to do this demeaning crap. The guy was grinning and enjoyed the cheap shot as he delivered the smarmy numbers, and he sounded proud of himself for being such a clever little cliche. What about something worthwhile and now instead of the endless cheap shot? We could call it news.

I turned them off for the rest of the day. Their "experts" and general stories apparently require this. Not just that they do it repeatedly; it's how much they relish it. It sucks at about 4000 PSI in my opinion.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ok...lol laugh

just for the record BM got a pretty good report from Hue on his progress so far and so much still to come in Training camp. Again Good or Bad? well actually you do care lol cause to achieve what you are asking is him being good. Talking TT now.

But of course we haven't seen football yet to state one way or another 100% we can only speculate on what we have seen from TT in the past.

Yes, I too would love to have TT successful and keep BM on the bench. We have division rivals who take advantage of no respect from officiating in protecting our QB in the past that can lead to BM coming in sooner than expected. I mean Kessler was put out twice in his rookie season with blows to the head one a flag was thrown but the other a clear shot to the head and only the head as it was from a LB coming horizontally and put him out of the game (pretty sure Bengals?) and now flag thrown. We have countless of none calls not protecting our QBs. I'm hoping that will change. But it is something I have come to expect.

Not ready to compete yet, so true he has a lot to learn as we just got through OTA's, I'd like for us to review this later on and see what he is ready for around our 3rd preseason game. But as you stated TT is a solid QB and I don't see any rookie ahead of him by game #1.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think everyone should keep in mind that we were 4-0 in preseason last year. That's against vanilla O's and D's. I would caution everyone from drawing some conclusion that a rookie QB is ready to start in the NFL based on preseason results.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
We look good on paper, but that's paper. Those teams had solid players all around - running games, defenses, or WR at the top of their games.

Don't get me wrong, Jarvis, hyde, chubb, duke, etc are getting us there. But that's on paper. We still are a BIG question mark. I don't want to rush BM.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:
We look good on paper, but that's paper. Those teams had solid players all around - running games, defenses, or WR at the top of their games.

Don't get me wrong, Jarvis, hyde, chubb, duke, etc are getting us there. But that's on paper. We still are a BIG question mark. I don't want to rush BM.

Has anyone noticed .. what we see as vast improvement, the national media, NFL.com, ESPN .. etc still see as a power rating of # 32 out of 32 and picked to draft # 1 next year. They do give us credit for moving up to Pro level ( rather than High School ) but still do not rate us as high as we, Browns fans, think we should be rated.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Baker Not ready to compete with Tyrod

Link Copied to Clipboard