Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
I talked about him in another thread. I think everyone who responded opposed the idea.

I read things like:

--he's lost a step

--he was never that fast to begin with

--he's a head case

I agree w/most of that. However, people are only looking at the negatives. I look at those, but I also look at the positives.

While me may have lost a step, he's tall. Our other WRs [if Josh isn't going to be here]are not so tall. Thus, Dez could be our big WR. The guy you throw jump balls and back shoulders to in the end zone. The guy you throw to over the middle in sit-down routes over the middle. The guy you throw to in short yardage situations because he can go and get the ball.

Also, I don't think he is the "head case" some make him out to be. He isn't TO. I think the dude is very passionate and expressive, but I don't think he is the "me" player TO was.

I am not sure if we should sign him, but I think a lot of people aren't really analyzing this situation logically.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand what you are saying, but we do have 2 tall guys (admittedly TE's) Fells and Njoku. My concern is that if we sign a "name" WR, this may indicate that JG is not expected back anytime soon. At this point, I simply don't know what to think about Gordon but I hope he is back in 2-3 weeks...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did you watch the presser with Hue and Dorsey? When asked they said they would put Coleman in at Josh's spot if he was not ready.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/hue-jackson-and-john-dorsey-open-2018-training-camp

link

Last edited by Vambo; 07/25/18 10:28 PM.
Legend
Legend
I agree with you.

He knows how to play. He catches the ball. There is no doubt that he can be a role player.

Haley will utilize his best routes.

Like I said though. The Browns management is due clarification. They have supported Gordon. They deserve answers. Not all this vague crap.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not saying we should sign Dez. I'm just putting out some information and thoughts. I also don't count TEs as WRs like some folks do. I'm pretty sure that Dez is a better route runner than either of our TEs.

And again, I am not saying we should sign Dez, but I would not be surprised if we do.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That did not sound like a ringing endorsement to me.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Dwayne Bowe.......

Kenny Britt......

Dez Bryant......?

Legend
Legend
He'd have to be an Anquan Bolden type in his later years ... strong, possession WR who accepts being a 3rd/4th option on the field. I can't see Dez just taking that hit to his ego

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm not saying we should sign Dez. I'm just putting out some information and thoughts. I also don't count TEs as WRs like some folks do. I'm pretty sure that Dez is a better route runner than either of our TEs.

And again, I am not saying we should sign Dez, but I would not be surprised if we do.

I agree and agree with a earlier post of yours that while there are negatives, there are also positives. Those can't be ignored.

In the end Dorsey has to weigh it out as ask himself if signing Bryant would make us a better football team.

I get on Hue, but Hue does have a good record of building good relationships with his players. Hue might be able to take some of the edge off Bryants negatives.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Dwayne Bowe.......

Kenny Britt......

Dez Bryant......?

By the way, the Patriots supposedly love Kenny Britt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Dwayne Bowe.......

Kenny Britt......

Dez Bryant......?

I also do not think that Britt and Bowe are not quite a fair comparison to Bryant.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I want nuttin to do with Dez .. hes not who he used to be ... but he’s way better than Bowe was when we got him ...

Not sure what happend with Britt last year .... something happend ... no clue ... a divorce, lost a close relative, just hated C-town ... i have no clue ... Britt was a very bad signing and hes not that good but hes way better than he showed last year ...

And he’s 50/50 to make the team in NE ... if he sticks to start the year ... he’ll be in the convo for release when Edelman comes off suspension ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow, last posted on this in April.

As you might remember my son is a big time Dallas fan.

He gets mad at the sports journalist down playing Dez and dissing him. My son thinks he has a lot of talent and he would watch film with me on Dallas games and tell me/actually show me on replays that Dez was getting open and he was getting Frustrated cause Dak was not looking at him when they were in the Red Zone and he would show me and actually make comments that DAK is more like Kizer as he would show me how Dak would throw to his backside as Dez was cutting wide open over the middle in the endzone. Stating to me that it was mostly on Dak not Dez in his production at WR and that Dez was actually being good about it not throwing Dak under the bus.

Maybe he has lost a step. But I trust my son and Dez would be a tremendous addition for our Red Zone offense with or without Gordon.

But can you see Dez, Njoku and Fells as we are inside the 20? Add in Duke coming out of the backfield and Landry underneath the big guys both getting the ball with space to make something happen! Throw in Gordon in the mix and just let me know who the heck will cover those guys. man TT if you are accurate and good you will be a king of QBs!!!

jmho I would like to see us make a good 1-3 year contract on him...we will need the space after 3 years to start signing our studs to 2nd contracts!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Dwayne Bowe.......

Kenny Britt......

Dez Bryant......?

I think he's starting the year on the PUP list too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't really have a problem seeing Dez on the roster. Now Pac Man, that's an entirely different issue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I am not saying go run and sign him.

But he is worth looking at.

He is gone from Dallas. So all the drama shouldn't be there. He is not going to be in a position to call Garrett out and Garrett's guys.

On a new team he will have to prove he belongs and can compete.

He has a lot to prove so my guess would be he puts his head down, shuts up and plays ball.

He could possible help. So, i say take a look.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So you pick DB over Pak-Mon? Just really two choices I don't want and I started this thread when it was a choice. Now it's a need.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
I always felt that Dez's sideline demeanor was misunderstood. He might have looked angry or self-indugent but I think it was just the intensity in his personality that was easy for detractors to latch on to.

Without going back and trying to pinpoint the exact moment his performance started to decline; I'll say that generally it started when Romo was no longer the QB. The two of them had a chemistry that he was never able to duplicate with Prescott. So as EO mentioned in his post, was it mainly Dez or was it that Prescott's abilities couldn't take advantage of the Bryant's skills? On that question where does the truth rest? I don't have an answer.

As far as Dez's present career options, the Brown's aren't a serious consideration, for him. And, because of this I don't think he's a good fit in Cleveland. He still wants to be a #1, deep ball receiver. I don't think he's anywhere near the vertical threat that Gordon is, so he can't bring that dimension to the Brown's offense. I think he would expect to dominate targets. The short to intermediate passing game with rhythm passing and a run heavy element that I expect the Brown's to use doesn't seem to match Bryant self-perception. Also he's not likely to view the Brown's as among the competitive elite of the league where he believes he belongs. Those are a lot of barriers to work through for the Browns to bring him in. I'd rather invest the effort in developing WRs we already have.

Last edited by guard dawg; 07/26/18 06:04 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that he is more passionate than butt hole. He isn't TO.

The only thing that would worry me is that I think he needs a strong qb in the huddle. Someone who won't be overly influenced by him demanding the ball. Someone like Rodgers or Brady, who would tell him to Stfu and just get open.

Legend
Legend
I have never said sign either guy.

What I did say is take a look. Bring the guys in.

Talk to them. Find their expectations. Explain what you are looking for. See if there is a fit.

Work them out.

Determine if they can help.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Yesterday Charley Casserly on NFL Network had some pretty pointed criticism of the current state of Dez's game as reason's the Brown's should pass on him. Then Dez clapped back with a tweet. Casserly came back on today with tape demonstrating that Dez isn't separating from coverage and that his route running is undisciplined.

To be fair he selected two plays each showing one of the deficiencies he is pointing out. Two plays alone aren't enough evidence to say this is who Dez has become as a player. But it does give you pause.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good info. I

I think that is important, because if Dez is not a good route runner, it will be much harder for him to make the transition I an envisioning.

I freely admit that while I said I thought he was a better route runner than either of our TEs, I am not very sure of how good of a route runner he is.

I thought he was okay at that part of the game, but perhaps I was mistaken????

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

E
Legend
Legend
E

The only thing that would worry me is that I think he needs a strong qb in the huddle. Someone who won't be overly influenced by him demanding the ball. Someone like Rodgers or Brady, who would tell him to Stfu and just get open.

Everything I have read about TT is that he is in total command of this team and I would have to assume the huddle. Its actually been the focus of his Positives first and foremost has taken the lead of the team. Why would you think otherwise or Assume he would not be in command???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

Everything I have read about TT is that he is in total command of this team and I would have to assume the huddle. Its actually been the focus of his Positives first and foremost has taken the lead of the team. Why would you think otherwise or Assume he would not be in command???

To be fair TT is not totally established as that guy. He still has to show that leadership to this new group and us fans.

Hope all is well Tabby?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
Getting my first Tattoo on Tuesday...of course its in my Butt not on it...lol laugh

I'm good, I'll beat this thing. Hey I believe in the power of prayer...I ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR GM, HE HAD SOME SERIOUS STUFF GO ON RECENTLY. Great guy!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

Noted.

Hate to hear of medical issues for anyone.

Just found out what a close friend of mine recently went through with chemo and bone marrow transplants.

Very difficult time for him to put it mildly.

Stay strong to all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Getting my first Tattoo on Tuesday...of course its in my Butt not on it...lol laugh

I'm good, I'll beat this thing. Hey I believe in the power of prayer...I ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR GM, HE HAD SOME SERIOUS STUFF GO ON RECENTLY. Great guy!

I know you will, tabber. Pulling for both you and GM.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns have reached out to Dez Bryant's representatives about the three-time Pro Bowl receiver signing a one-year deal with the Browns, a league source told cleveland.com.

If talks progress, Bryant will come to Cleveland to get a feel for the organization, and if all goes well, he could become a Brown.

In Cleveland, Bryant, 29, would step in and get significant playing time in place of Josh Gordon, who's currently away from the team to work on his overall health and treatment plan.

The Browns have no idea when Gordon will be back, and the NFL has said 'there's no timetable for his return.' The league has also said it will 'deal with the matter at the appropriate time.'

Bryant, who turned down a multi-year offer from the Ravens, has made it clear he wants to play for a contender, but a one-year 'prove it' deal with the Browns could be just what he needs to get his career back on track.

Bryant is represented by Jay-Z's Roc Nation, which also represents Browns coach Hue Jackson.

On Thursday, Jackson's agent John Thornton was on the sidelines at Browns training camp in Berea talking to Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and GM John Dorsey, and the subject of Bryant undoubtedly came up.

Dorsey says Bryant is on his radar

In 2017, Bryant caught 69 passes for 838 yards and six touchdowns. The Cowboys released him to save cap space, but Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday that Bryant can still play.

"Dez is an NFL player," Jones said, via Charean Williams of profootballtalk.com. "There's no doubt in my mind, and [he] can really contribute. It was best for us that we're in the spot we're in, but when I say us, it includes Dez. I believe that strongly. "I love Dez. I spent a lot of time -- and inordinate amount of time with Dez -- but this is for the best. But he's certainly good enough player that he can help people.

"He can help teams win games. I say that unequivocally. I believe that. Just look at our last few games and see if he made any plays against Oakland or anybody. He did."

Haslam and Jones are friends, and Jones would probably recommend Haslam sign him.

Browns players such as Baker Mayfield are excited about the prospect of a Bryant joining the team.

"We have talent in that room so we're expecting somebody to step up, but obviously any time you talk about bringing in a guy like that from Texas, that's pretty exciting,'' Mayfield said. "He's a good player and so we'll see what happens but for now, we're good with what we have."

Bryant has three 1,000 yards seasons to his credit, and has averaged more than 800 yards and seven TDs in each of his last two seasons.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/07/browns_and_dez_bryants_reps_ha.html

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Even after trying to justify the signing, I'm still not on board with potentially bringing in Dez or Pacman...

Nope nope nopers.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Even after trying to justify the signing, I'm still not on board with potentially bringing in Dez or Pacman...

Nope nope nopers.

Isn't be ok with dez... worry about his attitude but think we can work with it with hailey... pacman wasn't thwt good on the field... ain't worth the off the field crap...

<><

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Dorsey can't wait for Josh Gordon to overcome what ever Gordon is dealing with.

Bring Dez in to get an idea of his attitude and his desire to continue his NFL career with the Browns.

Got to have football players who want to play...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1479179 07/27/18 07:26 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Haven't seen you around Mac.....hope all is well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He is not in a position to get all his druthers anymore. A one-year with lots to prove contract could be best fit. Interested in seeing how he handles it. If all he wants is to dictate terms, see ya. TO 2:The Sequel.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
I always liked Terrelle Pryor, but I have to admit his post-possession sideline rants were annoying to me. I was always like "STFU, man, and let your play on the field speak for you.". If Dez Bryant comes in here and starts throwing tantrums on the sidelines like he did in Dallas, I hope Myles Garrett or Joel Bitonio or somebody body-slams his diva ass and tells him to shut his freaking pie-hole, or get off the field.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No tolerance for that from any player or coach. You sound like I did! LOLetc. But I don't want that either. Your chemistry is incredibly fragile and resilient at the same time. One individual playing hero-ball is tough. We will have enough struggles without this artificial diva crap. No truth to any rumor that he might want to be here just for the HBO opportunity. Is Ocho Sinko available? Just asking'. . . .

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

If the Browns are this interested in Dez, what does that say about Gordon's situation?

Keep your heads buried in the sand.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

If the Browns are this interested in Dez, what does that say about Gordon's situation?

Very concerning...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Whether we do or we don't sign him I like the fact that big names are now putting Cleveland on their radar. That speaks volumes about how players around the league are beginning to view the Browns.

Saying that...maybe the Browns are the only team showing true interest as he's still available.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c:

Very concerning...

Of course it's concerning but this is still all guessing, shooting the breeze as if we were at a bar talking Browns football.

We do NOT know.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dez Bryant Anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard