#1481859 08/03/18 11:47 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I think worth a Thread on its own.

Wilie stated that Bitonio was option "Z" for the left Tackle position. And here we are with Shon Coleman once pads were put on and we could actually start to evaluate the OL and make decisions.

Shon is a bust - and we moved to Z cause Desmond Harrison was on the PUP list. Robinson had a Concussion but just got his go ahead papers and will be back out there. We probably will utilize his with kid gloves the first week back. So I guess we were at "Z"... this also puts Corbett in probably his best position which has always been Left Guard.

Now Bitonio starts his LT play against probably the most athletic DE in the NFL, Garrett. By all account Bitonio actually held his own in his debut vs. Garrett so maybe plan Z is the answer to all.

The only thing is can Robinson all of a sudden morph into an actual LT, he has the athleticism don't know what was wrong with the kid. Hopefully in hard knocks I will get to see him in action that is if we don't just commit to Bitonio which very well could be the case. I haven't heard anything negative on Hubbard. Zietler pulled a little calf thingy but that will heal in a couple of weaks he won't miss a beat. Drango is taking his spot it seems that Drango will be the 6th man as he can literally play all 5 positions (actually don't know about Center but probably he can) and we got Reiter at Center for a backup.

So here is our potential.

Starting as it is right now:
Bitonio - Corbett - Tretter - Zeitler - Hubbard

The rest and I will put a (*) on those I believe will be a lock to our roster. The rest will have to fight for a position that can be anywhere between 8-10 in numbers.

Bowen 6'7" 335 rookie
Shon Coleman 6'5" 310 3rd year
Christian DeLauro 6'6" 300 rookie
Spener Drango * 6'6" 315 3rd year
Anthony Fabiano 6'4" 303 2nd year (Harvard kid)
Avery Gennesy 6'3" 318 2nd year
Geoff Gray 6'5" 315 2nd year (Canada kid)
Fred Launa 6'4" 315 rookie
Austin Reiter 6'3" 300 3rd year
Gregg Robinson 6'5" 330 5th year
Desmond Harrison* 6'6" 295 rookie (PUP LIST)

So we have 16 in all. I only put an (*) on two. Drango and Desmond the later being more I think so than a definite but He plays LT and I only heard good things from him he is coming from West Georgia not a college that is scouted much but he could be a kid that slipped through the cracks that our scouting department has caught. I think he will make our team and possibly if released it will be to go onto our Practice Squad.

Was close to putting a (*) on Reiter as he is our only true Center for backup but then I thought Drango would probably be able to man the back up Center...heck he was able to put in acceptable starts at LT last year. If called on I'm sure he would be able to handle it and who knows, he might find his TRUE POSITION if he is called on. ???

On paper Robinson is the most talented and has the most experience at Left Tackle but he has failed so far. I would think possibly football is a pay check for the young man. His skill set is tremendous and I don't know how he hasn't been able to master the position unless his mental participation just isn't there. Somebody that Big that Fast and athletic will get numerous opportunities and so far this is his 5th season able to get a 7 figure salary...beats whatever he can make on the outside and the job is seasonal!

I think the rookies are key.
Also I would like to take a closer look at Fabiano, all I remember is that last season I was not impressed but don't recollect why I came away with that.

I just realized that he is from Harvard, we can ASSume the kid is very smart. So that he can start to MASTER Technique and become productive.

Personally now that pads came on and Shon was consider a failure. I think he will be cut and a wasted 3rd round pick by the Sashi.

Desmond Harrison is the guy I think will become the surprise ASSET! Oh its just hope right now but he is not seen and he was getting a lot of positive feedback and coaching was put on him with a reason that he was more than worthwhile so I have a good feeling on the kid.

We can hopefully see a lot of battles during Hard knocks.

Please anyone with Film please add it hear.

Anyone with an opinion and No its not about if I'm right or wrong just let us all know what your opinions are. OL is very important.

The good news is that Bitonio has gotten good feedback all be it one day!

What do you all think?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1481862 08/03/18 11:49 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it was stupid to waste time with Joel at anything but LT. Everyone knew that was an obvious, easy and good fit. Why the hell did they wait so long?

BpG #1481866 08/03/18 11:53 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Cause he was a known commodity at LG and a pro Bowler there.

I don't know where you get "OBVIOUS" Its still not obvious as he only has one day of camp there. It just might be the right thing and a positive.

And got news for you. 3 days into training camp is AMPLE time for him to be named LT and be ready by our 1st game. Its not wasted time for OL OTC is meaningless.

I hope Joe being a good friend will afford him help that wouldn't be given to others.

Stupid is not what had happened. Training camp just started and getting him in there is just good timing not stupid.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1481901 08/03/18 12:40 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Its still early in training camp.

You have to get different OL combos on the field to find the best 5.

BpG #1481908 08/03/18 12:49 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
I think it was stupid to waste time with Joel at anything but LT. Everyone knew that was an obvious, easy and good fit. Why the hell did they wait so long?

It was obvious to many that Shon Coleman was never going to be a legit. option at LT.

I don't believe the answer to the position is on our roster at the present time. I believe we'll just use the body that looks as close to the part as we have and address the position next year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
eotab #1481913 08/03/18 12:57 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's too early for me to make a ton of predictions on the OL. I have a few thoughts, but those will obviously change as I see these guys play more.

I think only one thing is certain. That is, this year's OL is not as strong as last year's. Bitonio is not going to be as good at LT as Joe was and I seriously doubt that Corbett will be as good as Bitonio at LG.

A few thoughts:

--I think Bitonio will do okay at LT. However, I would not be shocked to see the Browns bring in another LT if they can find one.

--I can't comment on Corbett because I don't ever recall watching him play.

--Our center and RG are the same from last year, so nothing new here.

--RT is interesting. Coleman was pretty good when he could get physical, but he missed some assignments and his lateral movement hurt in pass pro. I have a lot of family members and friends who are huge Steeler fans. They tell me that Hubbard was more effective inside than he was outside. I don't really remember him, so I can't say anything else about him.

The OL is certainly one of the main groups to watch closely this preseason and as the season unfolds.

eotab #1481926 08/03/18 01:33 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
With the shuffling of JB out to the tackle position, and the insertion of AC, I am hopeful it results in a better overall line. The shuffling of o-linemen the Pats did a couple of seasons ago is my benchmark. After they did that, their line seemed to gel well.

Having AC between two vets will help with the learning of the system, and provide enough support that he will be able to get into a groove.

As always, in the TC time hope springs eternal.

eotab #1481958 08/03/18 02:14 PM
Legend
Legend
The good news thus far: Hubbard has sounded very solid

I am concerned about Zeitler's injury and the switching of LT, but at this piont there's no other option

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
eotab #1482007 08/03/18 04:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Corbett pick was confusing to say the least.

I was anticipating Conner Williams who went to the Cowboys at 50.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

eotab #1482118 08/03/18 06:15 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
no matter how you slice it the oline is more question ???? than certinity.
I think with the shuffling of bodies i would expect more 2 TE sets to help the OTs out.
the problem now is that you cant afford a injury to Bitonio.
the left side is now the weakest area on the football team.
Robinson might surprise. can Wylie produce a miracle??
Drango is just soft.
i think the.future LT is still.a year away.

Hamfist #1482183 08/03/18 08:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Like tackling (or missing tackles, as we have seen), the bigger half of blocking is wanting to do it. I hope Bitonio's eager to do it. This makes his spot weaker and LT weaker as well IMO.

Hope to see him handle it out there.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #1482261 08/04/18 05:35 AM
Legend
Legend
based on Garrett's synopsis, Bitonio is still just as good at LT. That's good early news

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
eotab #1482265 08/04/18 06:28 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
With Robinson the only tape we need to watch is his pro tape. I suppose something might happen and we somehow unlock the potential he had when he was drafted, but Ii doubt it.

All in all I think we have a pretty good group as starters, and a couple of quality inside back-up's in Drango and Reiter. Drango can even press to a tackle position and not get totally punked.

A few of the others might be OK...it will be interesting to see.

I suspect this position group will be especially targeted with waiver wire transactions once camp cut start to happen. A few of these guys will make the team, be for only a few days once Dorsey sees who is being cut off other teams.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
edromeo #1482273 08/04/18 08:13 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: edromeo

I think this was actually THE PLAN. See if Coleman/Bitonio was better than Bitonio/Corbett. They now have their answer.

Ballpeen #1482307 08/04/18 10:06 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
With Robinson the only tape we need to watch is his pro tape. I suppose something might happen and we somehow unlock the potential he had when he was drafted, but Ii doubt it.

I agree. I read somewhere, yesterday or the day before, that Cameron Erving has worked is way into the starting C roll in KC. If he can figure it out, maybe Robinson can as well. Or not.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
W84NxtYrAgain #1482322 08/04/18 10:46 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I agree. I read somewhere, yesterday or the day before, that Cameron Erving has worked is way into the starting C roll in KC. If he can figure it out, maybe Robinson can as well. Or not.

Thats so wierd ...

Last week i went to the Chefs board and they were saying how bad Erving was at C ... but they were holding out hope that whatever clicked in Shon Colemans head that allowed him to work his way into our LT job could happen with Erving ... naughtydevil ...

W84NxtYrAgain #1482324 08/04/18 10:54 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

If Erving or Robinson were drafted in the 4th Rd, they'd be talked about as success-stories rather than reclamation-projects.

eotab #1482330 08/04/18 11:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
The title of this thread is OL, so my opinion.

New theory (for me) started about a month ago, that Offensive lines aren't really as important as they used to be. It's all about the Qb, and getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

edit: I think I mis expressed my feeling on the OL's across the NFL in 2018.

It would be better if I'd said, the OL is going to work itself out, and what has lost its importance is the thinking that some combination is going to be more effective than another.

Or that the battle for the perfect combination of addressing each individual position on the OL is going to result in some super effective group that outperforms what any other combination might have done.

I mean, I think the OL is going to work itself out and even if they aren't as good it's not going to matter as much

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/04/18 11:44 AM.
Versatile Dog #1482340 08/04/18 12:21 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think only one thing is certain. That is, this year's OL is not as strong as last year's. Bitonio is not going to be as good at LT as Joe was and I seriously doubt that Corbett will be as good as Bitonio at LG.

Exactly. The OL is going to be mediocre to below average no matter who they put in, Not a team strength this year because of growing pains.

So To Fret, is unproductive as we watch this work itself out.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1482341 08/04/18 12:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

So To Fret, is unproductive as we watch this work itself out.
I guessing that you're new here. Welcome to the board. shocked smile

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
W84NxtYrAgain #1482437 08/04/18 07:26 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
grin rofl poke thumbsup

OK GC.

In the 2016 playoffs the Atlanta Falcons used an OL in on the DL.

With the injury to Tevon Coley along with so many others, What Browns OL would provide the most upside to fill in on the interior D-line for a few snaps, in run support.

Pfft. It can't be the also injured Zeitler.

THROW LONG #1482549 08/05/18 04:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
New theory (for me) started about a month ago, that Offensive lines aren't really as important as they used to be.

You forgot to use purple.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawgs4Life #1482565 08/05/18 07:12 AM
Legend
Legend
garett aside, there is immediate net downside in my opinion. I get best talent for greater need, but I do think we net out weakened on the left. Best of luck to all involved. With the upgrades, the needs are standing out more clearly.

Go, Browns! Make it work!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
eotab #1482567 08/05/18 07:22 AM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I’m feeling pretty optimistic about the move of Bitonio and the insertion of Corbett. I have no valid reason for it. Just blind homerism, I guess.

If it does work out, though, we are set for the line for years. JB is under contract for four more years, Corbett is here for at least that long, Zeitler has 3(?) years left on his, as does Tretter.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

So, we can offer JB a big bonus check to make him paid correctly for the position, and spread that out over a couple seasons. So no cap death. Am I thinking right?

eotab #1482599 08/05/18 09:53 AM
Legend
Legend
j/c

I'll be honest, I gave Shon Coleman about 5% chance to be the LT ... I just don't think he's a very good player. Backup material.

I currently give Bitonio a 50/50 shot

IMO, the long term solution will be: Bitonio back to LG, Corbett at Center, and we draft a LT next season (it's a good class)

Dawgs4Life #1482634 08/05/18 12:19 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I really haven't looked closely at next years class of LT's yet, but I knew this year there was very slim pickings at the position. I fully understood the position that put this FO in.

From my perspective this FO directed their efforts at upgrading positions of need where they felt there were options available to do so. LT certainly wasn't one of those positions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
eotab #1482637 08/05/18 12:25 PM
Legend
Legend
next year's draft is strong on DT/DE and OL ... so IMO, that was part of the reason we passed on Chubb and LT

PitDAWG #1482643 08/05/18 12:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
An early look , guys to keep an eye on in the College ranks.

Name College Height | Weight
Greg Little Mississippi 6-6 | 325
Trey Adams Washington 6-8 | 331
Jonah Williams Alabama 6-5 | 301
Mitch Hyatt Clemson 6-5 | 305
David Edwards Wisconsin 6-7 | 319
Prince Tega Wanagho Auburn 6-7 | 307
Isaiah Prince Ohio State 6-7 | 310
Andre Dillard Washington State 6-5 | 305
Bobby Evans Oklahoma 6-5 | 299
Michael Deiter Wisconsin 6-6 | 321

eotab #1482662 08/05/18 01:35 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks for the heads up water.

#gmstrong
eotab #1482695 08/05/18 03:44 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
what worries me is that Bitonio now has to change his weight to play LT and he doesnt sound excited to play LT to.boot.
he hasnt played LT in 4 yrs.
this isnt a automatic seemless transition for him.
if i recall wasnt Dorsey hit and miss drafting olineman in Kansas City?
i think Eric Fisher is a bust out there.
if Botonio goes down the left side is in real big trouble

WSU Willie #1482717 08/05/18 05:24 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: edromeo

I think this was actually THE PLAN. See if Coleman/Bitonio was better than Bitonio/Corbett. They now have their answer.
Agreed. I think the plan is to have the guys compete....try different combos....find the best combination and get them reps together heading into the 3rd preseason game. Until then i'm not gonna sweat any OL shuffles that occur.

edromeo #1482726 08/05/18 05:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Smart to see this stuff BEFORE injuries happen. The Shuffle on OL has been a tradition here.

Want to see some of these guys.

Iluvmyxstripper #1482731 08/05/18 05:53 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Joel is Joe Thomas approved so I think he will do fine. I also think Joe will do everything he can to make sure his buddy is ready to go.

The dark horse for me is Spencer because I thought he did pretty decent filling in after Joe got hurt.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Iluvmyxstripper #1482735 08/05/18 06:02 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
what worries me is that Bitonio now has to change his weight to play LT

Is that true? I haven't read that.

Versatile Dog #1482740 08/05/18 06:21 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You have been around olinemen enough to know that from now,until the end of the season,it is extremely rare for a guy to gain weight.
I assume that is what he is talking about,because it almost impossible for a guy to get taller or grow longer arms.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
BCbrownie #1482747 08/05/18 06:35 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was just wondering why Bitonio had to "change" his weight? Is he saying he has to get heavier or lighter? I just haven't read about it. I'm genuinely curious.

Versatile Dog #1482753 08/05/18 06:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I was just wondering why Bitonio had to "change" his weight? Is he saying he has to get heavier or lighter? I just haven't read about it. I'm genuinely curious.
my assumption would be he'd have to trip down a bit right?

Versatile Dog #1482756 08/05/18 06:44 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Bitonio is about what 318 320 now.
i was talking to ex Brown Darnell Sanders the other day and I asked him about Bitonio moving to LT how drastic is it....he said Joel should be around 305 to 310
he said its easier making a transition from tackle to guard.

Dawgs4Life #1482757 08/05/18 06:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess that is what he's saying. I'm just wondering if it's true?

Bitonio weighs 315 lbs. Joe Thomas was 312. Andrew Whitworth is 333 lbs. The dude for the Steelers is 320 lbs. Nate Solder is 320 lbs. Eric Decker is 315 lbs.

I don't see why Bitonio has to adjust his weight?

Versatile Dog #1482762 08/05/18 07:04 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
FWIW
The Browns site has him at 6-4 and 305.
I found this interesting,Corbett is 6-4 and 306,pretty much a carbon copy.
They also have the rookie QB at 6-1.
Only if he's wearing 3/4"cleats.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum OL

Link Copied to Clipboard