Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
It appears to me that there were things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Many do not allow themselves to consider the possibilities or reasons Coleman might be given away for next to nothing.

The sad part is in two years, Coleman didn't impress any of the other teams in the NFL...no one willing to trade anything of real value for Coleman. Cory established his own value within the NFL by his play and conduct over his 2 years.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Do you think Dez or some other deal is already worked out? I personally do not think that first round means part-time work. We don't have much results for his being here IMO

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Do you think Dez or some other deal is already worked out? I personally do not think that first round means part-time work. We don't have much results for his being here IMO

I'm hoping it's more about liking the other WRs already on the roster than adding someone like Dez.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Another perspective:

COREY COLEMAN SERVES AS REMINDER OF DRAFT RISK

ear in and year out, NFL franchises across the league are suckered into high risk selections, hoping that their coaching staff will be the lucky ones to unlock the ability of a terrific athlete. In 2016, the Cleveland Browns fell into this trap with their targeting of wide receiver Corey Coleman. The team drafted the explosive and undersized pass catcher from Baylor University with the 15th overall selection.

Coleman was a mid-year Heisman front runner, thanks to six consecutive 100+ yard performances to start the season and a mind-boggling 20 receiving touchdowns in the team’s first 8 games. But suddenly, the cupcakes disappeared on the schedule. Coleman was held out of the end-zone for the team’s final 4 regular season games, 3 of which the previously undefeated Bears lost.

Coleman scratched out just one catch for eight yards against #7 ranked TCU, the definitive blow to any hope Coleman had at landing the biggest individual prize in football.

Coleman would go on to win the Biletnikoff Award, but miss the team’s bowl game thanks to a sports hernia before declaring early for the NFL Draft.

Throughout the Draft process, Coleman would be compared to wide receivers such as Anquan Boldin, Phillip Dorsett, Emmanuel Sanders, Steve Smith and Antonio Brown. In hindsight, the only thing all of these players have in common is that they have nothing in common at all.

Production can have a nasty way of persuading the eyeballs of things that aren’t truly there. In Coleman’s specific case, limited route running and poor hands were masked by the plays that Coleman did make, so much so that the two vital pieces of playing receiver were overlooked.

Coleman, although undersized, became an athletic marvel after he jumped over 40 inches in the vertical and was clocked in at 4.37 in the 40-yard dash. And the risk involved with the idea of investing in him became more and more secondary.

Some of the notes from Coleman’s 2016 NFL Draft evaluation:

Runs an extremely limited tree…made up of go, slant, post, smoke and comebacks.
Does not work to manipulate coverage.
Will drop throws if hitting on the back shoulder.
Struggles to reach behind frame to haul in throws testing catch radius.
Not exposed to a high level of advanced WR play.
Has taken advantage of spread system to stress secondary…needs to be mentally reconditioned for performance at the next level.
Needless to say, Coleman’s efforts to transition smoothly have been in vain. He’s been dogged by multiple broken hands, plus hamstring issues in each of his three seasons in the NFL (including this year’s training camp).

With just 56 catches for 718 yards and 5 touchdowns through two years to his name, his bags are now packed for the move north. The Buffalo Bills, who are in dire straits with their own wide receiver group, have flipped a 2020 7th-round draft pick to Cleveland for Coleman.

It’s a move that makes sense for Buffalo, given their big armed rookie passer and the low investment cost to take a chance on that athletic talent.

But may Coleman’s story serve as the latest reminder that playing football is much, much more important than being an athlete.

http://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/06/corey-coleman-serves-as-reminder-of-draft-risk/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I understand Higgins is in camp this year and doing well. I share your hope, but every roster spot opening is probably intentional at this point in the year. Hope we get a player who is worth it.
Dorsey is a busy guy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, Higgins is the guy who has reportedly been consistently good in camp this year. I hope he can step-up for us.

Legend
Legend
I have said it before and still repeat myself that I do not care who wins us ballgames, especially after last year.

I want to see what Higgins brings to the field this year. Really curious.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy didn't run routes in college. The guy still doesn't run good routes. He would have been a nice 3rd round value slot/speed guy for a contending team team.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had a 2nd round grade on Higgins and a 3rd on Coleman. Other than being fast, I just never saw anything in Coleman and I mean anything at all that made me think he had even a small chance to make it in this league. He has amazing speed but he struggled with press, his routes werent sharp, his hands were questionable, he was always battling an injury in college. None of that has changed.

Now on the brightside, Callaway is a top 15 talent. so maybe it will work out for us. Dorsey has attacked the receiver position. He may or may not be done but i loved that he brought in Landry and drafted Callaway and I love the fact that he hasnt wasted more time on Coleman.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I understand Higgins is in camp this year and doing well. I share your hope, but every roster spot opening is probably intentional at this point in the year. Hope we get a player who is worth it.
Dorsey is a busy guy.

I honestly thing that if a WR can't dominate in training camp, he has a very limited space in the NFL. Everything favors the WR until the real games start.

I would say the same thing about QB's....

So its a pre-requisite, but not an indicator for success, because many Wr's that do well in training camps are complete busts.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Quote:
Coleman continued: he had looked better this camp than he had since his rookie year....Landry seemed to be a positive influence. He did start to vanish again when Money Mitch became the starting corner the last few days, but again, this trade wasn’t just Camp perform related.

https://twitter.com/NathanZegura/status/1026443697439887360

"I’ll tell you why today on @Browns_Daily (goes back to last year)."

^^I think this tells us a lot.^^

Looks like being sent home early from Houston last year for disciplinary reasons and his alleged involvement in the New Year's eve fight played a role in shipping CoCo out.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow haven't been on the board for a couple of days. Read a few posts on this first page. Don't have the time to go through all 5-6??? pages.

1. do we know the pick we received in the trade or is it conditional?

2. I have mentioned with or without Gordon our positional WR group has improved tremendously.

3. I have told you all without much agreement that DUKE CAN BECOME an All Pro WR and I was mocked a little for that statement. I think this is another step forward towards Duke being one of our best WRs...he will be great.

4. We have forgone the quest by MANY FO before Dorsey on the need for BIG WRs...outside of Northcutt and Kevin in our first two drafts its been a quest for Big and we thought the fact that they couldn't catch the ball was no big deal...smh.

Landry, Calloway, Duke (who is big in his RB body but not tall) are excellent WRs who can catch and run routes and make something happen after catching the ball. Add in a possible Gordon, Ratley who are tall and even Higgins who is in that 6' range the position group is the finest we have had since 1999.

I thought Corey Coleman was going to be on the bottom of our WR list and would might not make our roster...so we got something good (how good?) for him while we could!

I think Spirit is the only disappointed one about this, which is a good sign I guess...lol laugh

Please, those lamenting about our past is just that OUR PAST. there is only NOW and our Future that concerns me. Thank you John Dorsey...he is the first GM with experience besides Lombardi who was just experienced at being BAD.

He has made a ??? position group Corey was our BEST WR going into last season. To the best we have seen since 1999.

Now lets get this from PAPER to the FIELD!

This is a good thing. Man this team is turning into a realistic GOOD TEAM! Thank you, thank you for being a Homer has taken its toll as I tried to squeeze anything positive out of what we had, it was not an easy task. Those who know me didn't use it to discredit my knowledge on the game and I guess you had to read between the lines to know what I really felt.
Some I told in PMs.

So again I am telling any and all who will listen. Duke is a close 2nd to Landry as our best WRs!

Its all about the QB, in one off season Dorsey a REAL GM has gotten the WR group into a viable group within the NFL.

Now its about TT this year and Mayfield for the next DECADE wink

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
No, we don't know the pick, yet.... it is just listed as 'undisclosed', which makes me think we probably got a conditional 7th, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
question that I don't know: is his contract completely off our books since we traded him?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
This morning espn says 2020 7th rounder.

That is close to a can of beans.

Clearly Callaway and Higgins are better options.

Coleman is right there with Gilbert; even worse Weeden and Manziel.

Frankly I can not understand how a professional evaluator can miss so badly.

How could you have all the resources available in scouting; then have a GM make those decisions in the first round?

Mind boggling.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
No, we don't know the pick, yet.... it is just listed as 'undisclosed', which makes me think we probably got a conditional 7th, lol

2020 7th I just read

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/for_1st-rounder_corey_coleman.html

But he's gotta pass his physical

I don't think we got worthy value to be honest. But who knows. If they deem Higgins worth more than Coleman and Josh Gordon is expected back, maybe he'd have struggled making the team. Especially if they don't want to put Ratley on the practice squad.

1) Landry
2) Higgins
3) Callaway
4) Janus/Ratley
5) Gordon

EDIT: To Bonefish: lol, I wanted both Coleman and Gilbert (among other players), so I'm not doing any better

But I do wonder if they just don't like his fit and attitude on the team. Last year he had the incident where he was sent home with Kenny Britt. And then that fight with his brother outside a hotel or whatever.

As someone posted what Nathan Zegura said earlier, maybe this is more than what we've seen on the practice field

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 08/06/18 10:37 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
i think we got rid of coleman a little too quick...I would have atleast let him play a couple preseason games maybe get more value.. theres something we're not being told.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Don't add anyone. Just give Duke more reps.

I like this solution. Also throw the ball to the giant human who no one can cover more.

Can we dip the human in "stickum"?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
im a bit worried if Duke Johnson is the 2nd best WR
on this team. that means Gordon isnt on the field
and the younger WRs arent progressing
Duke is a talented football player.
hes plenty fast his hands are better than average.
I just dont see him being a All Pro WR.
that means production wise he would have to be on par with Antonio Brown Tyrek Hill AJ Green Odell Beckham DeAndre Hopkins etc
very few RBs make a successful transition to WR in tbe NFL.
Stanley Morgan is the only one i know that made the transition and ended up being a All Pro.
for Duke to be a All Pro thats means he would to beat All Pro CB across from him lined up.
i dont think among his hundreds of catches hes had to beat a All Pro CB in press coverage not once.
he would only have to get matched up.on a LB or 2nd best CB at best.
hes a good option but hes not making the NFL Networks top.100 anytime soon as a WR.
Coleman was fools gold from Baylor.
just another example of porous scouting and poor desicion from Sashi to draft him.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bust of majestic proportions. Trent Richardson level bust, at least TR gave us one decent season and a 1st round pick.

Horrible. Horrible selection.

Legend
Legend
I read something, that, in all honesty, I cannot find now .... but Hue said something about Haley having 2 and 3 TE positions he has never had an opportunity to use.

I also think that we have 3 TE almost certain to make the team, in Njoku, DeValve, and Fells ....... and 1 of the other TE has reportedly been looking good. Maybe we keep 4 TE, and maybe not the FB, or maybe 1 less WR. (Especially if Duke winds up being a RB/WR slash)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh well ... We now can put away the past and look to a bright new future ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
No offense but you don't get paid to make these choices.

You don't spend the hours studying his tape and researching every aspect of the prospect.

I am just a long time fan. Weeden I would not have taken till the seventh round. Manziel would have been off my board.

Gilbert and Coleman would have taken more time to break down. But under zero circumstance would I have passed on Wentz.

In my mind he was clearly the best QB prospect and worthy of taking him first in that draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I find it funny in all that I've read that nobody thinks Haley had any input into this? Does anyone honestly feel that if Haley wanted to keep, or valued Coleman at the WR position, that he would have just been shipped out for a six pack and a ham sandwich? I certainly don't. This team has added a lot of talent. The reason being is to win games. If Haley actually felt that Coleman was an ingredient to helping this team win, he wouldn't be taking a physical in Buffalo. Whether it's a lack of Coleman working hard, a lack of his ability to run routes in his third year in the league or being a head case, the reason isn't as important as the fact that neither Haley nor Hue felt his place on the roster was going to help the Browns. To think Haley didn't have a lot of input in this decision is short sighted.

Since it seems Josh has been brought up in this thread, let's be honest here. Analytics isn't just used in choosing players to draft and sign in free agency. It's used in every aspect of business. It's the use of looking at data from the past to form an informed opinion of what's to happen moving forward. There's a huge difference in what one hopes for and what one realistically expects to happen.

Hope is a best case scenario. Expectations are built on a realistic pattern that has been provided to you. Let's not all pretend that this FO and coaching staff has or is simply ignoring the pattern provided to them over the years. That would mean they put zero value in analytics.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I read something, that, in all honesty, I cannot find now .... but Hue said something about Haley having 2 and 3 TE positions he has never had an opportunity to use.

I also think that we have 3 TE almost certain to make the team, in Njoku, DeValve, and Fells ....... and 1 of the other TE has reportedly been looking good. Maybe we keep 4 TE, and maybe not the FB, or maybe 1 less WR. (Especially if Duke winds up being a RB/WR slash)

Only the Browns would be running 2 & 3 TE sets in this era of football. Can we fire these morons yet?

Legend
Legend
When you have guys like Njoku, DeValve, and Fells, who can all also double as big receivers, it makes sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We traded Carson Wentz for Corey Coleman and Cam Erving.

What an out and out disaster.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Put Njoku in the slot. I like Devalve, but he's not a competent blocker at this point. Fells can't block either. If we are running 2 & 3 TE sets, that are not primarily out of the shotgun then teams will murder us.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
yet some think Sashi was such a great asset to the Browns.
he will never get another NFL front office job ever.
he wont even to be able to sell hot dogs.
sashi is laughing all the way to the bank.
i just remember all the praise he got drafting Coleman.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m not exactly sure why hoping and rooting for Josh to beat his addiction/anxiety stuff is a bad thing? ... whats wrong with that? ...

U guys act like cutting him would somehow help us and cure us of all our woes ....

U guys can talk til your blue in the face and crap on Josh all U want ... he’s certainly given u enough reason too .... your right ... he showed up out of shape, not knowing the play book, running lazy,wrong routes ... your 100% correct ... but u know what else is true ... he was still head and shoulders better than any reciever he’s ever lined up with ... and there’s not a team in the league that would have done a damm thing different than we have with Josh ... cutting him would be lain flat out stupid ...

U build your WR room as if he isn’t going to be there and then hope for the best ... man o man if he does come back and plays with his head on right .... skies the limit ... if he wasn’t the freak athelete he was he wouldn’t be here .... but hes a GAME CHANGER and i mean a GAME F’NG CHANGER!!!

He makes our 1/2 punch at reciever better than any in the league ... thats the kind of FREAK ATHELETIC SKILL he has and U and Spirit makes us sound like morons cause we HOPE he beats his addictions nd get his head right so were a MUCH BETTER O ...

And u guys say we shouldn’t count on him ... OK .. I get it ... ummmm .... fellas .. we went out and got Jarvis “ VICE GRIPS” Landry” ... we also rolled the dice and drafted Calloway a first rnd talent that fell to the 4th cause of off field issues ...

What else was Dorsey suppose to do fellas? ... seriously ... WHAT ELSE SHOULD HE HAVE DONE? ,.. WTF ... u guys may be being a BIT UNREASONABLE ... or maybe its just me .. rolleyes ...

And why the hell shouldnt we hope Josh comes back .... get off your high horses and ROOT FOR JOSH to help us be all that we can be ...

LETS GOOOOOOO .... thumbsup

Sorry man, but I don't root for meathead or any other player on this TEAM. I root for the Cleveland Browns. Team. Now there is a word I don't hear much in these threads. You know, the guys that are out there right now busting ass to get better. But they are the stupid ones. They all should have taken the summer off like the wonderful Josh Gordon. Why bust ass when you can sit home playing video games and then just show up and play like Jerry Rice?

You say he gives us the best one-two punch in football? HOW DO YOU KNOW? He sure didn't look that special last year. He has had ONE good year and that was a LONG time ago. He has missed more games than he has played! So how exactly do you know that he doesn't need any practice? He doesn't need to build chemistry with our new QB's? In our brand new offense? That he can show up game one against the Steelers and play lights out in an offense he hasn't practiced in?
You, sir, are taking a LOT for granted. Like that he will show up at all. Like when he does he will pass a urine test. Like if he does he will play like the best WR in the league never having practiced with the TEAM in camp. How many reps has he missed so far? If he shows up tomorrow how will he get those reps back?

I too hope Josh the PERSON gets his life together. I don't hate him. But as a player on this TEAM I don't TRUST him one tiny little bit. I think it would be a HUGE mistake for the TEAM to put any faith in him whatsoever. I think fans that keep talking about how awesome he is are remembering a player that doesn't exist. Until he shows up and PLAYS like this mythical giant you all keep describing it's all just talk. He sure as hell isn't showing me much right now, except he didn't want to work this summer and he blew off the rest of the team at the very moment they needed him to show and prove. If you went to practice today would you have seen this awesome one-two punch? Until you can answer yes, it doesn't exist man. Peace

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Could the trading of Coleman be tied in in any way with Gordon and his leaving the team temporarily? Meaning, If Coleman has been seen as someone whom could lead Gordon astray, would they get Gordon away from him until he was shipped off elsewhere? Just a thought.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've never heard anything negative about Corey Coleman the person and the Browns would be idiotic to make roster moves based on the assumption of Josh Gordon playing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Coleman must have been on the entire teams poopy list. We got a 7th round pick for him. Hell, we GAVE him to Buffalo. Something must have happened or soured the team on him. A team that is down so many WR's doesn't just give one away unless there is a reason.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think this is as much a Hue call as anyone's. I know when we drafted Coleman that I though it weird because he is the exact opposite of what Hue said he loves his WR to be. Hue flat out said he prefers big physical WRs who have great hands and run good routes. Coleman was the complete opposite so I thought it was a dumb pic from the very beginning.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
Could the trading of Coleman be tied in in any way with Gordon and his leaving the team temporarily? Meaning, If Coleman has been seen as someone whom could lead Gordon astray, would they get Gordon away from him until he was shipped off elsewhere? Just a thought.

You mean unlike Callaway that we drafted in the 4th? With so many off the field issues, he dropped from a possible 1st round spot?

If they were so worried about a player leading meat astray they wouldn't have drafted Callaway... Besides with meats history, it would be more like him leading someone else down the wrong path...

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Coleman must have been on the entire teams poopy list. We got a 7th round pick for him. Hell, we GAVE him to Buffalo. Something must have happened or soured the team on him. A team that is down so many WR's doesn't just give one away unless there is a reason.

I'm willing to bet it's mental slowness. The way he talks screams lower intelligence to me. Perhaps he was not able to pick up Haley's new system fast enough and when you consider Haley is big and WRs running accurate routes it's not hard to imagine them getting rid of him.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is a crazy conspiracy. Perhaps Coleman was traded for next to nothing had more to do w/Corey Coleman than any one other single person in the organization?

Crazy, huh?

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
True, but I don't think they get rid of Coleman if they believe that Gordon will not be back at some point. The only negatives I have heard about Coleman are what have been discussed in earlier posts ( sent home early and a fight).

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 08/06/18 01:23 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Here is a crazy conspiracy. Perhaps Coleman was traded for next to nothing had more to do w/Corey Coleman than any one other single person in the organization?

Crazy, huh?

I doubt it's any one thing. I am willing to be it's a whole laundry list of things. I mean he is a fragile, skinny WR who runs poor routes. I was mad the day we drafted him because I knew he didn't fit what Hue wanted. All he did was prove me right.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Decided to look at some of Coleman's targets from the end of last season for context on his abysmal catch rate. These came from only 6 quarters of action

(video)

https://twitter.com/Cole_Kev/status/1026512708873670657

Tackles are tackles.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Corey Coleman Traded to Bills

Link Copied to Clipboard