Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Maybe they know what those guys bring to the table. If a team gets desperate enough they'll sign one. However, it might be better value to find a diamond in the rough. More than likely the guys you named could just slide into the rotation without the nuances of training camp.

WHO knows what they bring?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I heard on one of the sports talk shows, maybe it was Chris Carter on FS1, not sure, that the WR skill set the Browns are missing at this point is an outside receiver who can be physical in the red zone. That's a somewhat less than full description of what Gordon does as he can beat you from anywhere on the field. But it sounds like a perfect description of Bryant's traits.

Honest question. Is this description of the void in the receiving corp the correct one? What do Maclin or Mathews offer on the field? Can either of them fill the role I describe or am I even describing the missing skill set correctly?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually prefer big WR's that make better targets in the red zone as a part of the WR group and don't count on WR's that aren't here. WR's like Jordon Matthews and a guy like Eric Decker both fit into that category.

In all honestly, I'm not sure if Matthews has even healed from his hamstring injury. But that was back in April so I would think it has healed by now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I actually prefer big WR's that make better targets in the red zone as a part of the WR group and don't count on WR's that aren't here. WR's like Jordon Matthews and a guy like Eric Decker both fit into that category.

In all honestly, I'm not sure if Matthews has even healed from his hamstring injury. But that was back in April so I would think it has healed by now.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You guys throw FAMILIAR NAMES out there but have no idea what their personal situations are.

Lack of $ offer? Injury? Out of FOOTBALL SHAPE? Who knows? NFL FO's know.

Same with Hankins.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/C

I heard on one of the sports talk shows, maybe it was Chris Carter on FS1, not sure, that the WR skill set the Browns are missing at this point is an outside receiver who can be physical in the red zone. That's a somewhat less than full description of what Gordon does as he can beat you from anywhere on the field. But it sounds like a perfect description of Bryant's traits.

Honest question. Is this description of the void in the receiving corp the correct one? What do Maclin or Mathews offer on the field? Can either of them fill the role I describe or am I even describing the missing skill set correctly?

Wouldn't this be the perfect role for Terrell Owens...Big Physical, sure handed receiver who would excel in the red zone....While he might have lost a step, and therefore, isn't the home run threat that he used to be; but as a situational player, filling the role you're talking about, I think he could be that guy...

And honestly, his last couple stops in the league, idk where, but he wasn't the attention diva he was earlier in his career....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
On a purely hypothetical level yes, that'a the type of receiver TO would be.

Coming out of the clouds... no GM in their right mind would sign a 40 something TO whose been out of football more than 5 years with his reputation while failing to sign a 20 something Bryant who did play last season, even with his reputation. Oh, by the way we just gave away a 1st round WR for as close to nothing as you can get. Not suggesting that it was a mistake to ship Corey Coleman out of town but TO is not at all a serious option.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hell no to TO. He would cause way more problems than Dez would. And isn't he 44 or something like that? LOL

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This might sound crazy.....but in all seriousness, I'm pretty certain that Dez Bryant would be more of a distraction/locker-room-malcontent, then TO could ever be at this point in their careers...

TO would just be happy to get back into The League. Though, if, by some act of god, we were to sneak into the postseason; then I could almost guarantee that there would be some kind of foot-in-mouth-incident with regard to Owens..

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry, but it does sound crazy.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
just being devils advocate.....putting it out there..

D
Legend
Legend
D
Did you ever happen to see a well past his prime Muhammad Ali fight Larry Holmes at his peak? It wasn't pretty. T.O was great in his time, but his time is long gone. Guys get old really fast in the NFL.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Is Reggie Langhorne available? I think he could help us.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Is Reggie Langhorne available? I think he could help us.

Dave Logan would be much more physical in the red zone.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

im in support of signing Dez, but listening to jennings break down the stats about our WR's was depressing.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good clip. They got the bit about Dez being ranked 29th wrong though. The strategist on hard knocks was referring to his age.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The stats of our receivers was from last year. This is a different team, different players. You know, in order for a WR to record a catch the ball has to be thrown to him by his QB. That goes for all of them. The QB last year was Kizer. Or Kessler and Hogan for a game each. You can't look at that group and it's WR production and project it to this years team with the recent upgrades. It doesn't make any sense to do that.

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Well he is or was to meet with the Browns. And really think that a go to W.R. is needed for the QB's to throw.

June Summertime 2024!
V
Legend
Legend
V
You're right. However, one can still judge players individually and our WRs were horrid last year.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Is he here yet?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I'm tired of us over reaching for big WRs who just don't cut it. I like the ilk of Landry and Calloway. As for big WR Njoku can take that role as he does line up in WR type of positions now. Fells can become the big body TE and we got Devalve also. Haley seems up on Fells.

We aren't this desperate team. We do need to make up for Coleman as far as numbers go. Gordon only if he doesn't come back by game 3.

Dez is a good pick up but not out of desperation...cause he can help the team in the Red Zone. If its a matter of reps and he gets hairy, we can always drop him.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I am all for bringing in Dez. I think it is basically a no risk move.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

With our Browns, everything is a risky move

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

With our Browns, everything is a risky move

Especially free agent WRs.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
It is risk free since we owe him nothing and do not have to put him on the roster or keep him there.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Josh Cribbs is already in camp coaching (I think?). Can't someone just slap a helmet on him?

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
Dez is here, just signed stuff at the airport

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You guys throw FAMILIAR NAMES out there but have no idea what their personal situations are.

Lack of $ offer? Injury? Out of FOOTBALL SHAPE? Who knows? NFL FO's know.

Same with Hankins.

No, I'm making suggestions of WR's we may be able to take a look at. That's exactly what you asked for. And you asked why we mentioned them which I explained to you. You can stop acting like you have some superiority complex any time now. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It is risk free since we owe him nothing and do not have to put him on the roster or keep him there.

The moment the first game of the season begins, his salary is fully guaranteed for the year regardless of what we do with him.

Now, since he wants a 1-year deal to showcase himself for next year's free agency, you can expect he will try to ball-out, BUT you can also bet that he will begin to squawk loudly if he feels he isn't getting enough targets to give him the stats he wants for that next run at free agency. He will NOT be content being merely a team player; he will want to be featured.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post and your point about him making noise if he isn't getting the ball enough is what makes me somewhat hesitant in wanting us to sign him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DIEHARD
Josh Cribbs is already in camp coaching (I think?). Can't someone just slap a helmet on him?

Well he was the last Browns WR to play in the Pro Bowl laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Even more loyal to himself to a fault for this season. I would expect that. We could use his output for yards and points, but that carries a price tag as well. I do not want to squawk and rant and carry on with sideline crap. Just need less drama and more focus.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Good post and your point about him making noise if he isn't getting the ball enough is what makes me somewhat hesitant in wanting us to sign him.

Won't matter. We have $$ to burn on players like Dez.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really think Baker would work well with Dez for some reason. I think the fire Baker has would mix well with someone like Dez. He seems to have a way of resonating with players on his team.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend

Nathan Zegura
‏Verified account @NathanZegura
16m16 minutes ago

Well thats one of the perks of being in the building! @DezBryant just crashed @Browns_Daily and said “What’s up Cleveland!” Went on to say he likes the city, thinks he would look good back in orange and “we are just trying to work some things out.”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm sure Haslam will take the hit for the team if its a problem. Not quite sure how disruptive he will be. As for his talent, its still there...he did not play bad last year. HIm and Dak just were not on the same page.

As long as we think we can keep his mouth in order Its a good thing.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dudes a POS diva I want NO WHERE NEAR OUR PUPS ....

Forget the fact hes washed up ... he does not creat separation anymore .... he never created a ton now he creates zero ...

I really hope we don’t sign this dude ...

If u trust your son then so do I ... but i watched a ton of him over the last two years ... and what i saw tells me your son has some cowboy colored lenses hes looking through .... wink

Legend
Legend

Daryl Ruiter
‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN
16m16 minutes ago

The fact Dez Bryant’s agent also is in Cleveland seems to be a good sign for #Browns
5 replies 16 retweets 51 likes

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE

Daryl Ruiter
16m16 minutes ago

The fact Dez Bryant’s agent also is in Cleveland seems to be a good sign for #Browns

Daryl and I clearly have varying interpretations of the term "good sign"

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Either he's signing here or using us big time

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: FATE

Daryl Ruiter
16m16 minutes ago

Daryl and I clearly have varying interpretations of the term "good sign"
brownie

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dez Bryant Anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard