Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
We have one of the best OC in the league. We have one of the best DC in the league. There is no one we could hire and that is willing to come coach here that would ever be better. Flat out this is as good as it gets. PERIOD.

Hue is letting those guys do whatever they want but just doing his best to keep players motivated and healthy. From what I have seen he is doing this job with that great ability.

I think Hue with the coordinators will be a force to be reckoned with next season. I expect out defense to be flying this year and our brand new offense to be a bit sluggish just like the defense was last year. Does that mean Haley suddenly is a bad OC? No, it means we have players learning a new system and have not had enough reps in it that they are not playing instinctual yet.

I really hope that regardless of our record this year that we keep this coaching staff together for next season. I honestly don't have it in me to go through another coaching upheaval and years of waiting for something decent to be on the field.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: mgh888
We might be a trap team for the Saints. . . just thinking out loud.

KEEP thinking it, Dawg. Cause I DO TOO!

Why?

Saints go 1-0. Then get us. THEN game 1 of 2 vs. Division Rival Atlanta. That's the definition of a SET UP GAME!

Games 1 AND 2 are winnable.

We Damn near popped Pukesburg game 1 last year with KIZER. What's different? WR Washington and NO SHAZIER. GARRETT.

I LOVE our chances here.

Looksie. The Ferry has been called back to get those 18 just dropped off. They didn't even get to their cars!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen

I stick by what I said. If the Browns start the season 0-5 Jackson will be out.

Thats like walking out onto a balcony as opposed to a shaky tree limb .... rofl ...

He may make it it to the bye if we start 0 - 5 ... but thats about as far as Hue’s ship would sail if we start 0 - 5 ....

1st two games are tough ... we will be dogs and rightfully so ... in years past winning either of them would have been a HUGE UPSET ... if we pull out one of these tow this year it will be a mild upset ...

Then in week 3 were playing a team with a qb thats making his 3rd start in the nfl ... even if we pull out a win in the first two weeks or not ,,, this is a MUST WIN game ... he’s going to be struggling mightily at this pint in his young career ... we have to win that game ...

But thats beside the point .. if we start 0 - 5 ... not sure if Hue gets fired on the spot ... but he’s gone at the bye IMO .. fair or not is irrelivent ...

But we’ll be 3 - 2 or 2 -3 after 5 ... so no worries ... thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
Had some spit flying arguements as OL coach vs OC/HC regarding blocking scheme on some plays. I don't like to argue, but he said he loved it and we hugged and made up.

It happens, I would be afraid if everything had the appearance of complete compliance cause for me tells me that staff is two faced ready to stab a guy in the back. Rather have them air it out.

From what I have read its basically, Good Cop-Bad Cop scenario with a rookie.

As long as Hue does not MICRO Manage everything. Hope he doesn't get that paranoia of losing his job.

We're good. O and D have their tiffs all the time!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'm not putting much into an opinion on the coaches based on Hard Knocks...which has been quite entertaining. There's no way to get the full picture from a few hours of NFL-reality TV. I will say this:

I'm not impressed or discouraged by what I've seen of Hue simply because I can only assume that he is the same guy today that he's been since he got here. If he's truly different, I can see why players like him...so long as Hue likes the player. I think he tries too hard to be 'like-able'. Bosses just don't get to be that guy.

I think Williams says what he thinks he should say to be a tough guy...I don't find him to be very genuine. I think his bluster is filled with some 'pretend'.

I think Haley is what he appears to be...somewhat of a complete arse and/or a little nuts...but I see no 'fake' in him...for better or worse. He genuinely has no filter and doesn't care what he's talking about or who he's talking about. He is brutally honest...not saying he's always correct.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Trap games aren’t real.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Trap games aren’t real.

Especially after we come out and punch the Steelers in the face.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Raiders traveling west is a tough game for them

Yes, playing a game in the ocean would be a very tall task indeed!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
Opps !

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I disagree. I think teams mentally overlook 'weak' opposition every year and lose games they'd win if they were preparing normally.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I disagree. I think teams mentally overlook 'weak' opposition every year and lose games they'd win if they were preparing normally.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress....own-game-myths/

(Side note: The person who wrote the above article is Kevin Meers. He now works for the Browns his title is "Director, Research and Strategy".)

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

(Side note: The person who wrote the above article is Kevin Meers. He now works for the Browns his title is "Director, Research and Strategy".)

Lmao. Dude I ain't even reading it.

TRUST ME. SET UP GAMES HAPPEN. And it has NOTHING to do with Vegas.

Maybe you understand LOOKING AHEAD or LETDOWN?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Lmao. Dude I ain't even reading it.

TRUST ME. SET UP GAMES HAPPEN. And it has NOTHING to do with Vegas.

Maybe you understand LOOKING AHEAD or LETDOWN?

Not looking at the article is very easy. If you did it you would not see the words "point spread" or "Vegas."

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Continue on in your little world.

MGH. I understand EXACTLY WHY WE FEEL NEW ORLEANS IS POTENTIALLY RIPE FOR A LOSS.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Good discussion.

M
Legend
Legend
M

The article does nothing to address trap games. I have to say if this guy is on the Browns he's not very impressive.

While a 0.500+ team playing a -0.500 might give you a base line. . . . where are the statistics and comparisons of - say - a 0.700 team playing a sub 0.3 team or a sub 0.25 team (the numbers don't need to add up to 1.0) ... the definition of a trap game is a dominant team (way better than .500) playing a weak team (way below .500) and the article doesn't even come close to sniffing anything to do with that. Just coz the article has "Harvard" in the strap line doesn't mean it is correct.

C
Legend
Legend
C

The article does nothing to address trap games. I have to say if this guy is on the Browns he's not very impressive.

While a 0.500+ team playing a -0.500 might give you a base line. . . . where are the statistics and comparisons of - say - a 0.700 team playing a sub 0.3 team or a sub 0.25 team (the numbers don't need to add up to 1.0) ... the definition of a trap game is a dominant team (way better than .500) playing a weak team (way below .500) and the article doesn't even come close to sniffing anything to do with that. Just coz the article has "Harvard" in the strap line doesn't mean it is correct.

Thanks for reading the article, I was just representing one side. I don't think teams overlook teams, I think some teams just lose to crappy teams sometimes.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

It seems to me the disconnect lies between possibility and probability and that when it happens the popular belief is that the reason for the loss is a "trap game". Which refuses to take into account who has home field advantage and injuries.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I have seen good teams, better on paper than an opponent, play down to that level with mistakes, penalties, and the like. I have also seen teams play over their head and scrape a win with a little luck over a better opponent. It has been known to happen. Not the mainstream, but it can.

The NFL prepares for games well. Injuries in game, flukes, bounces, messed up assignments can happen. Not sure I buy into trap games in the whole, but I surely do hope for them. We might get this one.

Go ahead. Make me cheer. This is the year for a win!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V

It has to be true if it is on the internet.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw----I am not saying that we are a trap game for New Orleans, but anyone who has ever played or coached the game knows that there are trap games.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Btw----I am not saying that we are a trap game for New Orleans, but anyone who has ever played or coached the game knows that there are trap games.

I agree. Teams are supposed to look at one game at a time. It doesn't always work that way.

The week after playing us the Saints head on the road to play the Falcons. A big division rivalry game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
wrong thread

Last edited by HotBYoungTurk; 08/31/18 08:33 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Whether or not we are a trap game in Week 2 depends almost entirely on how we show up Week 1.

If we come out of Week 1 with a 1-0 record, they will NOT be looking past us.

If we come out of it 0-1 and still looking like the bumbling fools that find new & creative ways to lose, then yeah, they will probably not look as deeply at us as they might otherwise.

All that being what it is, I don't think there is any way that we are a trap game for anyone in the first half of this season. Between Hard Knocks and all the hype and whatnot around this team, you can absolutely bet that other teams are scouting us and looking hard to try to figure out what to expect.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Wasn't sure where else to put this....

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak
#Browns Amos Jones on Hue Jackson's decision to go with Jabrill Peppers over Antonio Callaway as No. 1 punt returner: We're gonna do what the hell we're told. And there's a learning curve (for Callaway).

Tweet

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Wasn't sure where else to put this....

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak
#Browns Amos Jones on Hue Jackson's decision to go with Jabrill Peppers over Antonio Callaway as No. 1 punt returner: We're gonna do what the hell we're told. And there's a learning curve (for Callaway).

Tweet

That's a weird quote. I don't really even know what it means.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll help you. It means that:

--Hue Jackson is the head coach.

--Callaway isn't quite ready for that responsibility.

--You and the other haters have a new reason to bash Hue.

Legend
Legend
I'm not going to look, but it seems to me that he misplayed a punt or 2 in the preseason, and that probably played a part in him not being the PR.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I seem to have misplaced my thread. I think it means coaching probs — but maybe personnel getting coached is the issue. Under real fire, we looked lame more than once.

But I believe that good veteran coaches make good veteran adjustments when possible. This should be a strength. Remains to be seen yet.

Thursday's game is one that bothers me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I seem to have misplaced my thread. I think it means coaching probs — but maybe personnel getting coached is the issue. Under real fire, we looked lame more than once.

But I believe that good veteran coaches make good veteran adjustments when possible. This should be a strength. Remains to be seen yet.

Thursday's game is one that bothers me.

It's hard to make coaching adjustments when you haven't yet seen the team in action.

Now that the coaches have seen the team, they can make changes, and to work to put the players in their best positions. We do have veteran coordinators, and I believe that they will do so .... but, especially on offense, the sheer volume of new players make it a process that will be ongoing, as the team comes together, and they see who fits where and what, and who might not.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can tell that many haven't played football. They act like disputes between coaches is a novel thing. rofl
damn it Vers, stop saying things I agree with. Doesnt create enough drama.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I agree with that. The coaches have seen them all in controlled practices and limited vanilla situations up until last week. They have not seen all these combinations for use in a real game plan.

Football is going with strength. Football means adjustments. Winning soon matters to me. Hope we roll somebody.

Legend
Legend

I agree with you 100 percent.

Williams, Haley, and Hue are all good coaches with vast experience.

Williams and Haley have been head coaches which gives them a different perspective. They can relate to the unique pressure that a head coach faces and they should know how to work together. At the same time they are now able to focus on their specialty.

Hue has been a coordinator so he knows that frame of reference. Now as head coach he can oversee two experienced coordinators.

It is a unique coaching staff and I am hopeful that they win enough games that Haslam is patient.

Every year losing teams go chasing the "next great coach" from young bright coordinators.

I love experience and the Browns have that right now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

There were seven new HC hires this off season. Their combined record in week one was 0-7.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

There were seven new HC hires this off season. Their combined record in week one was 0-7.
and none of them looked very good. The Lions were a trainwreck

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Living so close to Nashville, I see a lot of Titans coverage. They squeaked into the playoffs last year with Mike Mularkey as their HC. For some reason, the Titans didn't think that was good enough for another season hoping to build on that.

Instead, they went with a never before HC in Mike Vrabel. While it's too early to say for sure, the sloppiness of the Titans in week one looks like Vrabel may be in over his head.

Sometimes people need to be careful what they wish for.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
yeah Tennessee is one of those teams that just never does it for me. They're just "blah"

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'll help you. It means that:

--Hue Jackson is the head coach.

--Callaway isn't quite ready for that responsibility.

--You and the other haters have a new reason to bash Hue.

nanner

As always, I hope the Browns win.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Well I have another reason to Bash Hue,

because 10 minutes after I made that post, is when I heard the Browns are going to release Josh Gordon.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Problem With The Coaching Staff.

Link Copied to Clipboard