Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
L
Legend
Legend
L
I do like beer. Labatts AND Molson's will work, yes.... or whatever else ya got. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, have you been monitoring the Browns since 2013- Just because a guy looks otherworldly, he's been given YEARS to be a responsible human being/pro....he's failed over and over again. Late and acting weird...AND reported been late lots of times---he's special in his own mind....NO professional team should trust this guy....personally, I'm glad a general manager has finally seen thru his BS and done the right thing.....hope we get something for him....2yrs ago I suggested a cheeseburger, that would be enough.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: hitt
JMHO, have you been monitoring the Browns since 2013- Just because a guy looks otherworldly, he's been given YEARS to be a responsible human being/pro....he's failed over and over again. Late and acting weird...AND reported been late lots of times---he's special in his own mind....NO professional team should trust this guy....personally, I'm glad a general manager has finally seen thru his BS and done the right thing.....hope we get something for him....2yrs ago I suggested a cheeseburger, that would be enough.....GO Browns!!!!

Agree. I think a fair trade would be that the Browns trade Josh Gordon to another team and that team just needs to pay for 1 beer to every fan in attendance at the next home game.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
D
Legend
Legend
D
U and Cap work it out ... wink ... i prefer labbats blue light ... never really liked Molsons ..

Make sure u got plenty of kegs of bud for the give away thursday night cap ... thumbsup

J
Legend
Legend
J
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I do like beer. Labatts AND Molson's will work, yes.... or whatever else ya got. wink

I would have figured you for a Moosehead guy.

I felt sad about the announcement, but also relieved. I honestly don't believe he will be successful with any team. At the same time, I won't be upset or angry with the Browns if he is, I think you can only give someone so much time. I wish the best for him, though looking back, I wish the Browns had never taken a chance on him.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Looking back there is I much I would do differently.

Father Time keeps ticking, thus we don't get that chance.

Fathere Time is relentless and unforgiving.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...osh-gordon-news

Myles Garrett: No one expected Josh Gordon news

New ORLEANS -- The Saturday night news on Josh Gordon's planned release from the Cleveland Browns sent shockwaves around the league.

Less than 24 hours later and following a loss to the Saints, Gordon's soon-to-be former teammates were left absorbing the situation.

Wide receiver Jarvis Landry declined to discuss it, but others expressed surprise when they heard the news.

"Nobody was expecting that," defensive end Myles Garrett said. "You walk in and hear that, that's big news."

Defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi echoed Garrett.

"It was kind of like shocking because you don't really expect that, especially so sudden, especially the day before a game," Ogunjobi said. "That's a tough decision."

The Browns' plan to release Gordon came on the heels of him missing a team meeting Saturday, and Cleveland could eventually trade him before cutting him loose without getting anything in return.

Despite being a third-year pro, Gordon would be released as a vested veteran because of his accrued seasons, meaning he would not go through the waiver process and could sign immediately with another team.

Browns head coach Hue Jackson said after the game that he addressed the players Saturday night and let them know the team was going in a different direction with Gordon.

Jackson believed the honest approach with the players proved the correct course of action and he's not worried about having a split locker room because the coach said the Browns have strong leadership among the veterans.

"I always talk to the team in those situations," Jackson said. "I've always been honest and up front with our guys about what we're doing as an organization. I think that's the way it should it be; they should know.

"I told them last night. Nobody flinched, they understood it. Again, we wish Josh well on his journey and we all love and respect Josh, but we had to do what we felt we had to do as an organization."

Whatever happens with Gordon in the next 24 hours, he is set to end his run with the Browns as a talented receiver who didn't put it all together on the field since entering the league in 2012 as a supplemental draft pick.

While he has 180 career catches for 3,106 yards and 16 touchdowns, averaging a healthy 17.3 yards per catch, Gordon's time in Cleveland was mired by multiple suspensions for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He did not play in 2015 and 2016, but returned in November 2017 on a conditional reinstatement.

Meanwhile, Garrett said he plans to reach out to Gordon to wish him well. But the second-year defensive end understands what the NFL is all about when it comes to personnel decisions regardless of talent level.

Now, the Browns have to collect themselves and move on.

"It's a business," Garrett said. "It's one of your family members, but at the end of the day you got to have a short memory in the NFL. He was part of it and now somebody else will fill that role whether it's a guy that's here or somebody they're going to bring in. But you still got to win at the end of the day no matter what the odds are."

E
Legend
Legend
E
Its all a load of bs unless he failed a test,

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, it's not.

This team is trying to change the culture of losing. We are the extremely young. We can't have a guy on the team who doesn't buy into what we are trying to do and continually making mistakes.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with Eve.

If you want to change the culture of losing, you throw it to Josh a lot more.

If you really want to change the culture.....well....you don't want to hear it so I won't share it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
No, it's not.

This team is trying to change the culture of losing. We are the extremely young. We can't have a guy on the team who doesn't buy into what we are trying to do and continually making mistakes.

Really? He scored a TD for us last week, what part of that is culture of losing?
He made great strides to fight and come back from his demons. What part of that is culture of losing?

Sounds like you just want to make excuses and sweep it under the rug.

He has HOF talent despite a sad career.

The only losers here are the Browns.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
It was time to move on, I didn't think of him once during the game, except for when FOX's sideline reporter said the players she spoke with were good with the move.

I defended Josh over the years and hoped he'd work out, but the damn drama was wearisome and its nonlonger a problem.

I hope he turns his life around, hope he has a good career.

Last edited by lampdogg; 09/16/18 07:45 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We gotcha covered lamp.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
No, it's not.

Really? He scored a TD for us last week, what part of that is culture of losing?
He made great strides to fight and come back from his demons. What part of that is culture of losing?

I disagree.

A guy can be a huge talent, and still a problem, and a detriment to winning.

Before the game, the FOX sideline reporter said that not one player she spoke with was at all upset that Gordon is gone. I think that, despite his record, and despite the organization standing by him, Josh has a sense of entitlement, as opposed to being grateful. The Browns even gave him his free agency a year early, when they didn't have to.

So how did he thank them? Did he show up with a renewed sense of being a professional? No. Instead he showed up late, (more than once, by some reports) and hurt/impaired.

There comes a time when even an uber-talented player just has to go. You don't teach the younger players on the team to buy into winning by excusing a veteran who refuses to do so.

Gordon should never have made this team to start with. However, his physical talent was too tempting for the team to dump him. They thought that this time ..... this time .. was different. It wasn't. He's still a waste of a roster spot. He won't waste a spot here for much longer.

Goodbye Josh. It's a shame that your career wasn't as important to you as it has been to the fans, and the team. It's a shame that you rewarded the teammates who stood by you by thinking that you are above the rules that every other player has to follow. I have no doubt that this garbage will continue no matter where Gordon winds up. A leopard doesn't change his spots, and Josh has shown little evidence that he's willing to mature.

Maybe we'll be really lucky and get a 6th round pick for him. It's probably more than he'll be worth in the long run.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
No, it's not.

I disagree.

Before the game, the FOX sideline reporter said that not one player she spoke with was at all upset that Gordon is gone. I think that, despite his record, and despite the organization standing by him, Josh has a sense of entitlement, as opposed to being grateful. The Browns even gave him his free agency a year early, when they didn't have to.

So how did he thank them? Did he show up with a renewed sense of being a professional? No. Instead he showed up late, (more than once, by some reports) and hurt/impaired.

There comes a time when even an uber-talented player just has to go. You don't teach the younger players on the team to buy into winning by excusing a veteran who refuses to do so.

Gordon should never have made this team to start with. However, his physical talent was too tempting for the team to dump him. They thought that this time ..... this time .. was different. It wasn't. He's still a waste of a roster spot. He won't waste a spot here for much longer.

Goodbye Josh. It's a shame that your career wasn't as important to you as it has been to the fans, and the team. It's a shame that you rewarded the teammates who stood by you by thinking that you are above the rules that every other player has to follow. I have no doubt that this garbage will continue no matter where Gordon winds up. A leopard doesn't change his spots, and Josh has shown little evidence that he's willing to mature.

Maybe we'll be really lucky and get a 6th round pick for him. It's probably more than he'll be worth in the long run.

Youre putting a lot of youre speculation into that.

He was late.

Oh the horrror!

Not a reason to be cut.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
No, it's not.

I disagree.

He was late.

Oh the horrror!

Not a reason to be cut.

He was late.

He was hurt in an activity away from the team.

He appeared to be impaired.

Sooner or later a guy has to strike out. Gordon did.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hard knocks as much as said he was on a short leash.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was repeatedly late. late yesterday, Hungover and hurt and could not play today.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He was late.

Oh the horrror!

Not a reason to be cut.

You're speculating the only reason he was cut was simply because he was late. If they part ways they have good reason, whether we know exactly what it is or not. I'm sure they realize he scored a TD last week. I'm sure they also are well aware of everything else going on with him in the locker room and on the field. If he was doing his job, he'd still have a job so if you want to blame someone for screwing Gordon's tenure with the Browns, blame Gordon because that's the only place the blame falls.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Josh Gordon: Please, no more excuses -- Terry Pluto | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ss...art_river_index

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- If you're a Browns fan, maybe you feel a sense of sadness. Or anger. Or relief.

But please, no more excuses as the Browns plan to release Josh Gordon Monday.

For several weeks, I was hearing from some fans how Gordon skipped most of training camp because he was dealing with anxiety -- due to the presence of the cameras for the "Hard Knocks" special.

And I have heard for years, Gordon just likes to smoke weed. It's legal in some states, what's the problem?

The problem is Gordon's issues are so much deeper than marijuana.

That's part of the reason I wrote a column a few weeks ago, stating the Browns should view Gordon as a lottery ticket. He was a long shot to make it because he has failed in so many opportunities.

And he has so many problems.

In 2013, he was suspended for the first two games of the season because he tested positive for codeine. He claimed it came from cough syrup.

In 2017, he gave an interview to The Uninterrupted where he said: "I've used alcohol on many, many occasions. Xanax on many occasions. Cocaine on several occasions. Marijuana most of my life. Codeine cough syrup...methazine is very prevalent where I'm from."

Those are Gordon's words.

The scope and depth of his addiction issues are why he has played only 11 games since his Pro Bowl 2013 season.

It's why he's been suspended so many times, dating back to college.

It's why he didn't show up in time for training camp and missed all four preseason games -- something had gone wrong again.

And it's why the Browns had every right to let him go.

BEING REALISTIC

The Browns have tried to help Gordon ever since drafting him in 2012.

I repeat, this is not about marijuana.

It is about a player who seemed to be bragging in a GQ story last November about how he was high on something before every game.

I happen to doubt that.

In my 18 years of weekly jail ministry, some addicts love to brag about all the things they did while high...as if it's a badge of honor.

Gordon came off that way in several interviews he did with national media outlets last year.

There was very little regret about the damage done to himself or others.

Addicts can be very selfish, and that behavior impacts others. One of the big lies some addicts tell themselves is: "I'm only hurting myself."

That's simply not true. Anyone who has an addict in their life knows better.

NO MORE EXCUSES

Gordon came from a very difficult background.

But he also is in a sport where many players have the same type of family mess as Gordon - some even worse.

Yet, they find a way to overcome it.

Virtually every type of recovery program has been made available to Gordon. The NFL and the Browns have access to the best, so this is not about Gordon being unable to find help.

Too bad most addicts do not have a chance at all these resources.

If anything, he's had too many enablers.

Maybe this is what he needs. Or maybe another team will give him a chance and the same pattern will continue.

But the fact is the Browns, his teammates and the fans couldn't count on Gordon. And it was time for the Browns to let him go.

E
Legend
Legend
E
No dude.

If he was some no talent backup slug then maybe I buy that.

But you dont drop talent like that for no reason.

There has to be some reason we dont know yet.

The truth hasnt come out.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Josh Gordon: Please, no more excuses -- Terry Pluto | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ss...art_river_index

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- If you're a Browns fan, maybe you feel a sense of sadness. Or anger. Or relief.

But please, no more excuses as the Browns plan to release Josh Gordon Monday.

For several weeks, I was hearing from some fans how Gordon skipped most of training camp because he was dealing with anxiety -- due to the presence of the cameras for the "Hard Knocks" special.

And I have heard for years, Gordon just likes to smoke weed. It's legal in some states, what's the problem?

The problem is Gordon's issues are so much deeper than marijuana.

That's part of the reason I wrote a column a few weeks ago, stating the Browns should view Gordon as a lottery ticket. He was a long shot to make it because he has failed in so many opportunities.

And he has so many problems.

In 2013, he was suspended for the first two games of the season because he tested positive for codeine. He claimed it came from cough syrup.

In 2017, he gave an interview to The Uninterrupted where he said: "I've used alcohol on many, many occasions. Xanax on many occasions. Cocaine on several occasions. Marijuana most of my life. Codeine cough syrup...methazine is very prevalent where I'm from."

Those are Gordon's words.

The scope and depth of his addiction issues are why he has played only 11 games since his Pro Bowl 2013 season.

It's why he's been suspended so many times, dating back to college.

It's why he didn't show up in time for training camp and missed all four preseason games -- something had gone wrong again.

And it's why the Browns had every right to let him go.

BEING REALISTIC

The Browns have tried to help Gordon ever since drafting him in 2012.

I repeat, this is not about marijuana.

It is about a player who seemed to be bragging in a GQ story last November about how he was high on something before every game.

I happen to doubt that.

In my 18 years of weekly jail ministry, some addicts love to brag about all the things they did while high...as if it's a badge of honor.

Gordon came off that way in several interviews he did with national media outlets last year.

There was very little regret about the damage done to himself or others.

Addicts can be very selfish, and that behavior impacts others. One of the big lies some addicts tell themselves is: "I'm only hurting myself."

That's simply not true. Anyone who has an addict in their life knows better.

NO MORE EXCUSES

Gordon came from a very difficult background.

But he also is in a sport where many players have the same type of family mess as Gordon - some even worse.

Yet, they find a way to overcome it.

Virtually every type of recovery program has been made available to Gordon. The NFL and the Browns have access to the best, so this is not about Gordon being unable to find help.

Too bad most addicts do not have a chance at all these resources.

If anything, he's had too many enablers.

Maybe this is what he needs. Or maybe another team will give him a chance and the same pattern will continue.

But the fact is the Browns, his teammates and the fans couldn't count on Gordon. And it was time for the Browns to let him go.

All that addict talk is nice, but FACT is NOTHING has been said that he relapsed.

ZERO
NOTHING
NADA

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Hard to throw Gordon the ball when he is rarely on the field of play.

Not available Gordon that was his calling card.

I am glad he is gone.

You build a team with players you can depend upon.

A
Legend
Legend
A
IF he did, the Browns wouldn't be allowed to say it anyway.

We'll find out more in the coming days/weeks.

But, as of now, it does appear he's done in Cleveland. Like it, hate it, don't understand it - that's the way it is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No dude.

If you showed up late to work and hung over and said you cant be there the rest of the week, how would that go over? These are the reasons

Joe Thomas #73
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Josh is a small example of a larger issue.
the Browns waited for Josh to get it turned around and the Browns fans are waiting for the Browns franchise to turn it around

Legend
Legend

My two cents...

Gordon had succeeded in walking away from drugs for nearly a year.

Gordon started drinking around the start of minicamp and one thing led to another. (Looking back, I think it's hilarious, whether intentional or freudian slip, to hear Hue say "The FISH is in the building").

Gordon told the league he messed up and was granted leniency for coming forward and seeking help.

Gordon had an "aha moment", realizing he was special... the best way to punish the Browns and the NFL for his measly paycheck was to use his addiction as a "crutch" and merely say he needs to "step away".
"Those other bums can bust their rumps through training camp and the preseason... I'm too good for that and I definitely don't get paid enough."

Gordon came back with a chip on his shoulder... the demeanor always being "you're lucky I showed up." Coming in late, having the same indifferent demeanor, not working very hard in practice, etc, etc...

Gordon showed evidence that he was probably still drinking, coaching staff constantly on pins and needles, wondering how things would play out.

Gordon comes in late, yet again, two days before a game, with a mysterious hamstring injury, not caring if he plays ("mannnn, I just need to get my six games in this year and it's time to get PAID!")...smelling like a brewery.

The Browns finally say "UNCLE".

Not real hard to understand why.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: BADdog
No dude.

If you showed up late to work and hung over and said you cant be there the rest of the week, how would that go over? These are the reasons

Assumptions.

Not a reason to cut a first team talent,

Give him a lecture maybe.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Keep in mind, you all are grasping at straws why this guy was let go.

Yet simultaneouly holding onto this crappy kicker who single handedly cost us the game today.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
How many lectures, talks, mulligans, do you owe a person? We've dealt with this since 2012, one thing after another.

As you once said,'just cut this turd'.

gmstrong

-----------------

E
Legend
Legend
E
How many lectures, talks, mulligans, do you owe a person? We've dealt with this since 2012, one thing after another.

As you once said,'just cut this turd'.

I agree with this if he got failed a test,

But he didnt.

Showed up late.

Do you all want to be cut from your job for showing up late?

I think there is more to it than they are saying.

Because thats a BS reason.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Grasping at straws?

Grasp this. Gordon has done nothing to help this team. Zero.

He has been nothing but a headache.

The Browns including ownership has bent over backwards trying to help him.

And we are grasping at straws?

Give me a break.

Teammates and coaches have to depend upon each other.

Tell me how dependable Gordon has been?

Practice. Haley spoke about practice.

Do ya think Gordon didn't need practice?

When is enough?

Dealing with his demons and addictions is a full time job. What is professional football part time work?

Good luck Josh I hope it works for you somewhere else.

Legend
Legend
Could you imagine if a guy like Nate Orchard, or Carl Nassib, or Devon Cajuste, or any of the other players we cut prior to the season had even 1/2 the talent Gordon has. I bet not one of them would throw their chance away, like Gordon has so many times thus far. I say thus far, because Gordon seems to have a self destructive aspect, and I fully expect that he'll do so again. (and make no mistake, I hope the guy gets things 100% turned around, but I refuse to expect it, or bet on it)

Good luck Josh. I hope you manage to make a living so you can support your kids.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Grasping at straws?

Grasp this. Gordon has done nothing to help this team. Zero.

He has been nothing but a headache.

The Browns including ownership has bent over backwards trying to help him.

And we are grasping at straws?

Give me a break.

Teammates and coaches have to depend upon each other.

Tell me how dependable Gordon has been?

Practice. Haley spoke about practice.

Do ya think Gordon didn't need practice?

When is enough?

Dealing with his demons and addictions is a full time job. What is professional football part time work?

Good luck Josh I hope it works for you somewhere else.

So youre saying his TD week 1 didnt help the team?

Because we are drowning in TDs and deep threats?

Get real man.

Come back and talk to me when you do.

Because that post was a bunch of bunk.

All that matters is game day. Put up or shut up. He put up.

Cant say the same for that lameo kicker we got,

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
YOu keep saying there is more to this than we know.........and I think everyone agrees with that.

BUT, you keep defending him. While at the same time saying there is more to the story.

Hmmmmmm............dude's gone. Apparently. Maybe we should wait til we here the rest of the story before 'we' blame the team/organization?

Or not?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all.

I commented on this once before and was laughed at... I don't think you should give someone a free pass because of his talent. I just think that's a whole lot of ugly.

And the kicker? We aren't 1-32-1 because of a kicker.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
YOu keep saying there is more to this than we know.........and I think everyone agrees with that.

BUT, you keep defending him. While at the same time saying there is more to the story.

Hmmmmmm............dude's gone. Apparently. Maybe we should wait til we here the rest of the story before 'we' blame the team/organization?

Or not?

I will defend him until the end of time.... if he is being cut FOR ZERO REASON.

They have given zero credible reasin to cut him.

I think there is more to it than this because what they did makes no sense.

You dont cut talent for that for nothing.

So, I want to know the truth.

And then I will stop defending him, if its a reasonable reason.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all.

I commented on this once before and was laughed at... I don't think you should give someone a free pass because of his talent. I just think that's a whole lot of ugly.

And the kicker? We aren't 1-32-1 because of a kicker.

Dude. Do you get that JG has done zero on or off the field recently to cut him?

Do you get the kicker sucks and missed a ton of kicks today and lost us the game?

Apples and oranges.

Wise up.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Wise up???

That's funny.

Dude, have you followed Gordon and this saga since the Browns took him in 2012?

gmstrong

-----------------

A
Legend
Legend
A
You're right: You don't cut that kind of talent for being late or missing a meeting.

The first time, or the second time, or the 20th time. You don't cut that kind of talent for being suspended for drugs for more games than he's played.

You don't cut that kind of talent.......until you say "Know what? We're done with you. The rules apply to you also."

Had this chat with my wife this morning as SHE drove to church. She somehow feels the speed limit doesn't apply to her. Yet, here we are, paying more every month, because of her speeding tickets.

Hmmmmm............

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Released

Link Copied to Clipboard