Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Doubtful. NE Offense is probably the most complex offense in the NFL and requires the WR to read Defenses as much as the QB. It requires intelligence, good route running, and good hands - Coleman lacked all three and Gordon two out of the three. He will be no different than Ocho, Michael Floyd, etc.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hes gone ... time to move on ...

He ended up getting what he deserved...

But quit making crap up ... u guys can talk til your bluenin the face but it doesn’t change the fact he played the last 5 games for us last year and MADE A HELL OF A CATCH TO hel[p us tie Pit ...

THATS NOT NOTHING .... u guys have a great case ... u dont need to SAY THINGS THAT SIMPLY AREN’T TRUE ...

THROW FACT 1 OUT BRO ... thumbsup its simply not true ...

ON TO THURSDAY NIGHT ... thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he'll find the culture in New England is nowhere near as forgiving as Cleveland. This will be no easy adjustment for Gordon.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
would be sweet to see britt and gordon and coleman win it all...

jk...i know britt is gone...

bill loves to show he can do more with our ex`s

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Legend
Legend
Coleman is also gone, to make room for Gordon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29
would be sweet to see britt and gordon and coleman win it all...

jk...i know britt is gone...

bill loves to show he can do more with our ex`s

Britt and Coleman are gone, but why would that be "sweet?"

Legend
Legend
J/C ... I found this to be very insightful:

Josh Gordon trade: Seven times the Patriots turned another team’s castoff into treasure - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-...-into-treasure/

The thing that makes the Patriots different from some other teams is that they know when to give up on a project.

I think that is very true. They will take a chance on a player, but they don't compound a "mistake" by sticking with a player who can't help them just because of what they paid for him.

I do think that Dorsey has some of that in him as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I guess this shows just how screwed up Josh Gordon is if that is the "best" offer the Browns received.

Exactly. Bill is not stupid, he gave up little to take a chance.Once he sees what Gordon is about, he will bench him when needed and get his 7th round pick. Then he will trade him for a couple more picks next offseason to some sucker.

Bill won't have to bench him. Gordon will bench himself when he realizes he act won't play as well over there.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
what's the old saying? Nobody's as loyal as the team that drafted you?

I don't think JG even knows what it's like to be under a team that holds you accountable and won't take any crap. We'll see how this goes.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Who cares, he's now a Patriots problem.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
j/c:

So, the best offer for the "great" Josh Gordon could only get us a 5 rounder and we might have to give the Pats a draft choice.

And people are dissing the Browns? LMAO

It seems to me that the Browns would have rather traded him to an NFC team, but no one would beat that "killer" offer.

Josh Gordon is a disgusting individual. He has been enabled his entire life. He is liar. He is a selfish person who can't even support the babies he makes.

Joe Banner could have got a second rounder for this jerk and we blew that opportunity.

I am hoping that the Josh Gordon fan boys follow his ass to New England.

We've got a ton of Drama queen fans, don't we? Lol

I myself am RELIEVED I don't have to CRINGE when I open up this site every morning, just waiting for the next Gordon problem.

I'm gonna be a hypocrite here. Because I CAN. Was excited to see a full year of Gordon in this offense. I put blinders on as far as any suspension for Gordon. Nah, he's back and good to go.

Now that he's history, I can't possibly see how someone with his past and the YEARS of problems is going to all of a sudden magically be healed. He's WEAK. MY $ IS on something happening and he's Billy Boys problem now.

I'M WAY PAST OVER GORDON ALREADY.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Ian Rapoport Verified account
@RapSheet
The #Patriots are getting close on a deal for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, source said. Not official yet but headed that way.

Tweet

Who called it? I figured Belichick would go after him. (Probably a lot of us thought so though.)

I sometimes wonder if Gordon just wanted out of Cleveland anyhow? If not? He certainly acted like he did and got his wish, if true. But who knows for sure...............

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Ian Rapoport Verified account
@RapSheet
The #Patriots are getting close on a deal for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, source said. Not official yet but headed that way.

Tweet

Who called it? I figured Belichick would go after him. (Probably a lot of us thought so though.)

I sometimes wonder if Gordon just wanted out of Cleveland anyhow? If not? He certainly acted like he did and got his wish, if true. But who knows for sure...............
thats been speculated by some people ... that he orchestrated his way out of town by not being accountable here.

We'll see what he's like in NE

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip
I'M WAY PAST OVER GORDON ALREADY.

We'd have been a better team with him if he had been mentally and physically OK. But I won't miss him much as we haven't had much of his services over the past several years anyway. Next up...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Legend
Legend
O
I feel that him trying to force his way out is true, I'm just curious about the extent. How much of what we saw was real, and how much was for "show"?

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, because it reflects more on me than Gordon/Browns/Patriots... but I'm seriously rooting for him to fail. Hard. The passive aggressive social media stuff from the past 48 hours, plus the more reliable stories about the lead-up to this past Sunday... combined with him magically being healthy for this next game.... It just grinds my gears in a way no player antic has ever had. Maybe because it sorta re-colors a good portion of his time with the Browns.

I'm sure I'll get over it soon and regain my balance. Just putting this out there to give context to any rant-posts that may come from me over the next couple days. This board is one of my outlets. :-p

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
None of this makes sense. IF Gordon did try to force his way out of Cleveland and this latest "rehab" and then the hamstring injury ( wish seems to have healed miraculously is all part of that. I feel that this team has went so far above and beyond in support of this guy and standing behind him.

It is almost funny how you get mental pictures of how some players are and then when the truth comes out, it is a total shocker.

i.e. for me personally, I always thought of Corey Coleman as " a good kid". Injured often, yes. Maybe not worth a 1st round pick, yes. But always got the impression that he was a good guy. That is until this year and the truth, at least for me, comes out.

And, Gordon. I thought he always seemed appreciative of the Browns organization and how the team has stood behind him and supported him, even though he has contributed nothing to the team. But, it appears that too is wrong.

L
Legend
Legend
L
my biggest problem with this trade is we seem to have rewarded him for a being a malcontent. I would have taken less and sent him somewhere like the bills where his career could go to officially die.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
my biggest problem with this trade is we seem to have rewarded him for a being a malcontent. I would have taken less and sent him somewhere like the bills where his career could go to officially die.
I tend to agree w/this (if that was his intent, which appears to be the case).

Part of me was like "sit him and act like he's not on the team) ... but then part of me is like "get the best deal for him and be done with him"

O
Legend
Legend
O
This is one of the reasons why I would make a terrible GM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, because it reflects more on me than Gordon/Browns/Patriots... but I'm seriously rooting for him to fail. Hard.

I'm with you on this. I am not rooting for him to fail as a person, I hope he gets his life straightened out. But if I had my choice, he would not play another snap in the NFL. It is petty, I admit, and I am not proud of it. But this team gave him more chances than he deserved and I would hate for another team to reap the benefits of our patience. I do feel that he owes this team some loyalty for all of the support he was given, but he apparently did not agree. So, as a player, screw the d-bag.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get the league is a business, and players gotta take care of themselves because nobody else will, but the Gordon situation is just so beyond that. The guy dragged this this org through far more than anyone could have ever imagined, and then took several giant dumps on the people that tried to help him far more than anyone could have expected.

I doubt it, but he should realize that the team he's going to would not have put up with anywhere near the amount of entitlement he's shown here.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Who cares, he's now a Patriots problem.

Ahmennn to this. It's no longer a dark cloud over our heads.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not able to independently verify this but, during the Saints game, the broadcast crew said that Browns players' overwhelmingly support management's decision to move on from Gordon. No doubts or regrets from the roster.

That's a sign.

Legend
Legend

Root for him to fail? After everything he's done for us??

I could type a book here - I won't. We all know the history, let's look at how it should have played out.

Flashback one year... Gordon has been clean a few months for the first time in his life. He still has a career to look forward to, he still has an organization that supports him 100%. He works hard through the off-season, he comes into OTAs looking like he's carved out of stone. A reporter asks what's on his agenda now that the players get a short break.

"Me? I'm staying right here. I'll be in the building, no need to go anywhere else".

I was SOLD. This dude finally gets it, he's finally conquered his demons!

*What should have (in many cases, could have) followed. High profile player with other-worldly talent steps back on to the field and shows the world why his team was smart to stick with him through thick and thin. Doesn't complain, just works his butt off... works harder than everybody else, becomes a mentor to younger players. Shows what demons you can conquer when you give 110% and have an organization willing to help you every step of the way. Signs a hefty new contract after proving himself for a year. Vows to never leave the organization that saved his career - if not his life.

*What happened instead... the big middle finger. To the Browns brass, to the fans and to the city.
Show up to camp... "nah"
I said it then... this is not JG and his mental health, this is not JG struggling with addiction, it's not being afraid of the HK cameras. This is JG The Diva... "I'm too good for y'all, I don't get paid enough, I ain't tryin to go out there and bust my rump during camp... now if y'all want to talk about a contract that fits my skill-set - we can talk!"

I guaranteed it then and I guarantee it now.

Selfish, arrogant, confused... hides behind a peaceful demeanor and soft-spoken intelligence. "Me, myself and I" is bad enough as an individual, as a member of a team - it's a travesty. Especially when the team has bent over backwards. Fifty-two players, doing everything for "team", waiting for the individual to "show up and save the day". Now that's some 7 and 9 bs.

Good bye Josh, from a football standpoint - it's like we hardly knew ya. From a fan's standpoint, it's been six years of licking our wounds... waiting for Flash to come be the savior. Watching you implode, picking up the pieces, and doing it again... and again. I'm proud that this current brain-trust finally had the balls to rip off the band-aid, bleed for a bit and finally let this wound heel.

Root for you to fail? I will. In the NFL, anyway. I look forward to the day, ten years up the road, where I read that the forlorn "superstar" finally hits rock bottom. Years beyond an NFL career that never panned out, turns his life around and does something meaningful, something that means more than "he, himself and "Flash".

Why the Patriots? Because the smartest men in the building know that this guy is hopeless... and BB will chew him up and spit him out. If, by some miracle, he turns it around, hallelujah. They sent him to the only place in the NFL where it could happen - they did their job even after he refused to do his.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Well stated. My thoughts exactly regarding Gordon.

Legend
Legend
I think the Browns are a government test to see just how far human loyalty will actually go

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Harrison5/status/1041420594565337090

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
I think the Browns are a government test to see just how far human loyalty will actually go

rofl ...

Classic ... thumbsup

2nd String
2nd String
jc
Concerning the discussion about Josh's child support

My child support was 20% of my net pay. At that time funds were thin for anything but basic needs, but I never missed a payment nor did I miss an opportunity to have my son when I could.

Last edited by Southwestdawg; 09/18/18 12:13 PM.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm going to take a little different approach to this.......

Our fans talk about this team needing discipline. About our players being accountable. And I certainly agree with them. The team is young with some veteran leaders sprinkled in.

So let me pose this to you all. Or ya'll depending on where you may live or where you're from.......

How can you have two sets of rules and expect your players to buy in?

You have one guy who can't seem to be on time, reliable or honest. I mean does anyone think a hamstring healed overnight? This isn't a one time deal but a pattern that's been ongoing since 2014. Giving guys a second chance is a good thing. But by the time they hit their 4th, 5th and 6th chances, at some point you're sending the wrong message to the other 52 guys on your roster.

Gordon hasn't played over a hand full of games in a season since 2013 and it seems his accountability has never been a part of his vocabulary. That's not a valuable player for your team. That's a cancer for your team.

Dorsey seems to be the first GM that's going to expect the same set of rules for everyone on the roster and I for one think it's way past time for it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Harrison5/status/1041420594565337090
that's a very good thought ... an exercise in futility and science

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I support the move of trading Josh Gordon. I think it's tough to change the culture when one of your high profile guys is a constant distraction and isn't buying into the changes you are trying to implement. That sends a bad message to your younger guys.

With that said, the trade could make us look very bad. If any organization can get Josh to turn it around, it's NE. It's not just BB, but it's also all the vets they have on the team who already by in. And none of those guys are bigger than Tom Brady. Who the hell isn't going to listen to him?

Josh could flourish there and the national media will roast us. Many of our own fans will roast us.

Then again, Josh could pull another Josh and be out of the league. It's too touch to predict, but I can see us catching a lot of grief over this trade.

In the end, I think there are two teams I would not have traded Josh to. One is New England and the other would be the Steelers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Josh is Gone, now the Pats have that headache, don't get me wrong I loved having Gordon but we never knew when he would stumble and be out of football ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pitt, I gave you a like for your post.

I just want to temper my agreement a little bit. I do think there is some room for discretion based on circumstances. But as you say when guys have had chance, after chance, after chance at some point you have to establish a clear boundary that can't be crossed.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
j/c:

I support the move of trading Josh Gordon. I think it's tough to change the culture when one of your high profile guys is a constant distraction and isn't buying into the changes you are trying to implement. That sends a bad message to your younger guys.

With that said, the trade could make us look very bad. If any organization can get Josh to turn it around, it's NE. It's not just BB, but it's also all the vets they have on the team who already by in. And none of those guys are bigger than Tom Brady. Who the hell isn't going to listen to him?

Josh could flourish there and the national media will roast us. Many of our own fans will roast us.

Then again, Josh could pull another Josh and be out of the league. It's too touch to predict, but I can see us catching a lot of grief over this trade.

In the end, I think there are two teams I would not have traded Josh to. One is New England and the other would be the Steelers.

I agree with this. I'd take it even further and say that if the trade makes us look bad, who cares? I hate to say it but I couldn't care less what the talking heads on TV say about the Browns. That's not the part that I hate.. the part that I hate is that nothing will be as embarrassing as going 0-16.

If you want respect, win a lot of games. Say two winning seasons in a row. If you want respect it one season, make it to the divisional round of the playoffs (either by getting a first round bye or winning in the wild card round.) 8 out of 32 teams make it that far every year.. that is not too much to ask once in a while.

We had a winning season back in 2007, and everyone went crazy for the Browns. I think we had five prime time games the following season. Turns out that was a flash in the pan but you can't say the Browns didn't get respect from media or the NFL back then. In fact they got too much, too fast (see my guideline above, which actually does a good job of weeding out the pretenders, as we may see from the Bills this season.)

No winning, no respect, it's really that simple. A former Brown possibly succeeding elsewhere... not really concerned about it.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
They’re gonna roast us anyway, what’s one more twig in the fire?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrTed
They’re gonna roast us anyway, what’s one more twig in the fire?

That's about where I'm at.

JG moves on to greener pastures and succeeds? Oh well, say what you will. You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that it was the Browns who failed for six years.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Once you decide that you cannot go forward with a player, make whatever move helps your own team the best.

Could it help a good team become even better? Perhaps. Could it blow up on them? Perhaps. Does any of that really matter to your team? No. It can't. Once you decide you cannot continue with a player, get the best deal you can for him, no matter who provides it, and move on.

There were some people thought that when we traded Justin Gilbert to the Steelers that it was a mistake. He was of no use to us, and the Steelers were willing to give up a pick for him. case closed, because we weren't going to keep him anyway.

That's the only way to look at it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Fact 1 - Josh has given us absolutely nothing in a fistful of years

I wonder, how many of those games did he run a wrong route that ended up in an INT, or incompletion on 3rd down during those last 5 games?

Fact 1 is absolutely true - he has not given us a single thing because we have 0 wins since he returned.

He did nothing in those last 5 games, and as far as the tie - eh. Ask yourself this, if he was giving us his ALL, do you think he would have made more than 1 catch? Or do you think we would have targeted him more? Steelers D is atrocious, we threw the ball to JG 3 times, there was a reason for that.....

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I absolutely agree with your post 10000%

Especially this:

Quote:
Dorsey seems to be the first GM that's going to expect the same set of rules for everyone on the roster and I for one think it's way past time for it.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
jc

Seeing as this is a contract year for JG, if I'm not mistaken, and after Gordon watched TT dink and dunk all week 1, he prolly realized he isn't going to put up the numbers he wants to with this offense....so part of me is thinking that he just wanted out..go somewhere with a QB who can just chuck it, and preferably a contender.....he got his wish methinks....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard