Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ams/1404157002/

Le’Veon Bell’s standoff with the Pittsburgh Steelers has stretched into the third week of the NFL season, and the team may now be looking to for a clean break from the saga.

According to ESPN, the Steelers are now listening to trade offers for the all-pro running back who has remained away from the team throughout the offseason and into September. Bell, 26, has refused to sign the franchise tender the Steelers gave him in March, which marked the second season in a row the team had exercised the tag.

In both instances, the Steelers and Bell could not agree to terms on a long-term contract by a July deadline. So Bell’s options are limited in that he can report, sit out or see if the Steelers decide to trade him.

Last season, Bell touched the ball 406 times for 1,946 yards from scrimmage and 11 total touchdowns. In recent interviews, Bell’s agent, Adisa Bakhari, has hinted that Bell’s holdout may be related to his usage in Pittsburgh – especially with the potential for his client to hit the open market in the likely scenario that the Steelers refuse to issue a third-consecutive franchise tag or reach a long-term deal in the offseason.

The franchise tag Bell has refused to sign is worth $14.5 million. With each week he misses, he forfeits $855,000.

In Bell’s absence, the Steelers have been relying on second-year running back James Conner, who has registered 257 total yards and three touchdowns in two starts.

ps. lots of rumors surrounding the Browns & Duke & draft picks.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steel...-landing-spots/

Le'Veon Bell has skipped the Steelers' first two regular-season games and it remains unclear when he'll rejoin the team. And now, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bell may have already played his last game for Pittsburgh because the Steelers are listening to trade offers.

There's still plenty to work out before we get to that point. First, Bell would have to sign his franchise tender before the Steelers could do anything. And it's hard to imagine he'd put pen to paper without an agreement on a long-term deal from his new team that the Steelers refused to give him.

MORE ON THE NFL
Concern grows over Ben Roethlisberger's close ties to Randy Fichtner, Steelers' play-calling
There's also the matter of compensation; Pittsburgh would almost certainly get a third-round compensatory pick should they hold onto Bell for the rest of this season and let him hit free agency in the spring. (Assuming, of course, Bell shows up before Week 10 and signs his tender. If Bells holds out beyond Week 10, he's barred from playing in 2018 and he wouldn't be eligible for free agency.) And Pittsburgh will almost certainly want something more than a third-round pick to trade Bell.

As it stands, Bell is forfeiting $855,000 a week to hold out. His plan is to save wear and tear on his body and avoid injury this season so he can earn the money he feels he's due in 2019. It's worth noting that Bell reportedly turned down a $60 million deal before the 2017 season and a $70 million deal over the summer. And at one point this offseason, he was reportedly looking to Antonio Brown money -- $17 million a year.

And while Bell is well within his rights to demand what he thinks he's worth, it's something else entirely to find a team willing to pay it. But Bell is one of the league's most dynamic players, and as the old saying goes, it's only takes one. So, assuming the logistics of getting him to sign his tender is uncomplicated, who might those potential suitors be?

Colts
The Colts have the 22nd-ranked rushing offense, according to Football Outsiders, and a playmaker like Bell would make life immeasurably easier for Andrew Luck. Rookie Jordan Wilkins currently leads the team in rushing with 101 yards on 24 carries.

Jets
The Jets have the 30th-ranked rushing offense and there is no better friend for a rookie quarterback than a stout running game. Sam Darnold got 102 yards from Isaiah Crowell in Week 1 but the offense sputtered in Thursday night's loss to the Browns.

49ers
San Francisco has been replacement-level in the run game (16th overall) but it lost Jerick McKinnon before the season. McKinnon signed a four-year, $30 million deal before the season but the 49ers can get out from under it for only $2 million in dead cap space next offseason. Put another way: They can easily afford to add Bell.

Texans
Deshaun Watson has looked rusty in his first two starts, and while the running game has been efficient (sixth overall through two weeks) Bell would give the passing game another legit target after DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller.

Browns
Cleveland has plenty of playmakers but when you have one win in 635 days you're in no position to ignore adding another one. Not only that, but Bell would be a welcome addition in the backfield now that Baker Mayfield is expected to be the starting quarterback. Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb are mostly runners, and Duke Johnson is the pass-catching threat, but Bell is an upgrade over all three.

The five teams mentioned above, in addition to the Jaguars, Titans and Cowboys, all have at least $12 million in cap space available to add Bell, who is currently owed $11.98 million on the balance of his 2018 franchise tender, according to ESPN's Field Yates.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Another diva that wants its all plus more.. Let someone else kill their cap trying to make him happy for a couple years. One hit and he's another Jimmy G. Just not worth the risk.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
One hit and he's another Jimmy G. Just not worth the risk.

Can’t this be said about literally every player?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This was discussed on Mike and Mike.

A big thing to remember is that if someone trades for Bell, they cannot negotiate a long term deal. Not until the day after the season ends. That team will be able to talk to him before other teams can, but not during the season, and not while deciding whether or not to trade for him. Similar to a one year rental we see in the NBA.

The other thing that came up was compensation. Don't think Pitts has announced anything, but the thinking by the "experts" was that if Pitt lets him walk after the season they would like get a 3rd round comp pick in 2020. So at least a 4th round pick in 2019 would get him now.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
One hit and he's another Jimmy G. Just not worth the risk.

Can’t this be said about literally every player?

Yea but few cost what he wants..

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Legend
Legend
C
If the 49ers season didn’t get blown up, they would make a lot of sense. The team that traded for him has to have be good, have cap space, and a need at running back. There are not many teams that fill that criteria.

Legend
Legend
what about the Packers?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I saw that CBS.Sportsline article where the writer suggested mostly AFC teams, including the Browns. I don't think the Steelers are the type of franchise that would take the highest bidder regardless of conference and division. The Browns could offer a 1st and the Steelers would still have to debate taking a 3rd from an NFC team.

Plus, after reading CapCity's comments, I'm not sure who would trade for a guy they can't extend. Heck, I'm not sure Bell wants that either because he'd be in the same situation he's in now. At least with the Steelers he has a chance at an extension.

I guess I hope the Steelers eventually cave, he begins taking it easy and then the contract screws them over for years. Meh, not our problem I guess.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
You can take Cleveland off that list for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, the ONLY reason we're on that list is how much cap space we have. Secondly, there is absolutely no way that the Steelers trade him inside the Division for anything approaching anything reasonable. Lastly, we just drafted Chubb and are paying Hyde - and RB has not been a weakness for us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1st String
1st String
Send them Taylor and a 2nd round pick for him.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
I was reading a 24/7 sports article, and they suggested Duke and the Pats 3nd for Bell.

I laughed for quite a while.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
At almost a million a week in fines, this failure to communicate seems to be a self-correcting problem.

Not sure you want this head case here. We have a lot of things in front of us already with BM and all.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't want him period.

We have plenty of weaponry that's "team first" people in our RB room.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You can all it a fine I guess but it's actually what his salary would be if he had signed the tender and played. He's not under contract so there are no actual fines involved.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pitsborg will want to send a message of some sort for this black eye Bell has given them. No offer & sit. Just let the fine run and bleed him until he knuckles (if he does). Or settle for less if you want a deal. What is a realistic timeframe for him to settle and salvage the season? Already too late?

I cannot imagine him being here. This would be like Dez Squared.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe you need six games to accrue a season in the NFL. That would indicate he'll return in week 10 if he does at all. By playing an accrued season it will mean the Steelers can't franchise tag him again since this is the second time they've done it if I'm not mistaken.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK. Sorry I didn't see this before the post here. I see the distinction. As long as he is getting spanked for some serious cash somehow, Then I am OK with it.

Dallas and Jones seem to want all the misfits and issue players. Or more of them than most.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, but they have Zeke. They have no use for Bell at a huge asking price when they have Zeke on his rookie deal.

So yeah, Bell is getting spanked, but he's spanking himself. I guess some people are into that kind of thing though from what I've heard. lol

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
He sits til game 9 .... he’ll report as late as he can for game 10 ... that’s when he has to report so he can become an unrestricted FA at the end of the season ....

They can’t negotiate anything right now money wise for Bell .... he has an offer for right around 850k a game on the table as defined by the franchise player rules in the CBA ...

There’s nothing going on right now but waiting ....

I dont see how the Stilers can trade him .... they won’t get much for him at all cause the other team can’t even talk to him about a new contract til this years done ...

It doesn’t seem like they they thought this one through all the way through ... they may have opened a window to talk to other teams about contracts to facilitate trades .... the player automatically gets control cause if they don’t want to go somewhere they just say hell no to any salary ....

D
Legend
Legend
D
The raiders ... wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
That would be so Raideresque to trade away Khalil Mack and then sign Bell to a huge contract.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I believe you need six games to accrue a season in the NFL. That would indicate he'll return in week 10 if he does at all. By playing an accrued season it will mean the Steelers can't franchise tag him again since this is the second time they've done it if I'm not mistaken.

Dude's walking on thin ice if he waits til then. If they suspend him for a game or he sustains an injury he's SOL.

That said, does anyone know if you have to be put on IR to lose game accrual in this situation?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Le'Veon you blew it dude. You were set for life, now your throwing it away ala Josh Gorden. What an ass.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Dude's walking on thin ice if he waits til then. If they suspend him for a game or he sustains an injury he's SOL.

That said, does anyone know if you have to be put on IR to lose game accrual in this situation?

Only suspension would cost him an accrued season, if he signs and reports by game 10.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Browns Offense/ Defense Stats - Defense 13th Total Yards - 12th Pass Defense - 15th Run Defense - 11th Scoring Defense

Offense Stats - Offense 22nd Total Yards - 27th Pass Offense - 5th Run Offense - 19th Scoring Offense ... I really look for both sides of the ball to climb quickly ... NFL.COM

Last edited by PastorMarc; 09/24/18 04:40 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Red font stands for warning, and it's hard on the eyes. Could you switch it up? Just asking.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure I was thinking of just staying with the white smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

That would be good. smile

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Is that Better guys? thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
The bad thing is I thought it was Orange superconfused

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Manish Mehta Verified account
@MMehtaNYDN
BREAKING: #Jets reach out to Steelers to express interest in trading for disgruntled All-Pro RB Le’Veon Bell, per sources.

NYJ is going big-game hunting again.

Tweet

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Eh, the red never bothered me.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
If he shows up for the tenth game, do they have to activate him? If he is not activated, does he still become a roster spot and accrue the season?

If I were them, I would let him come back and leave him inactive.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
If he shows up for the tenth game, do they have to activate him? If he is not activated, does he still become a roster spot and accrue the season?

If I were them, I would let him come back and leave him inactive.

If he shows up, he accrues service time.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers

The New York Daily News reports the Jets have "reached out" to the Steelers about acquiring holdout unsigned franchise player Le'Veon Bell.

Per reporter Manish Mehta, the Jets have "not made a concrete offer," but they believe the Steelers are "serious" about trading their running back. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported Bell was available on Sunday. The Jets are the first team to be linked.

Related: Jets

Source: New York Daily News Sep 24 - 3:20 PM

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Manish Mehta Verified account
@MMehtaNYDN
BREAKING: #Jets reach out to Steelers to express interest in trading for disgruntled All-Pro RB Le’Veon Bell, per sources.

NYJ is going big-game hunting again.

Tweet
Thats the AFC team I've guessed for a while

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
The sooner they get rid of him the sooner they can start repairing the broken locker room.

D
Legend
Legend
D
You think the locking room cleansing is worth letting him fo now and losing your insurance policy for Connor for only a 3rd or 4th round pick? ...

U think they’ll get more than that .. if so, why?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pittfan43
The sooner they get rid of him the sooner they can start repairing the broken locker room.

I'll have a "keep him all year", with a side salad please.

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Steelers now listening to Le'Veon Bell trade offers, per report

Link Copied to Clipboard