Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
WE saw it this week against the Raiders.

Remember what I told all of you about rookie QB's? They do 3 things well:

1. hold the ball too long
2. make the wrong reads
3. throw interceptions.

Baker did all 3 of those things against Oakland. Both those fumbles were caused by him holding the dang ball too long.

We NEVER should have named Baker the starter so soon. that was NOT the plan. the reason the Browns fail is because they kneejerk and don't see their plans though.

the Baker Mayfield situation with the Jets should have been handled as:

"Mayfield came in and played well as a backup, we will evaulate Taylor and Mayfield later in the week and move forward then"

Once it became known Taylor couldn't play at Oakland due to the concussion it should have been announced that:

"Due to injury to Tyrod Taylor, Mayfield will start at Oakland, after the Oakland game we will re-evaluate Taylor and Mayfield and go from there"

To be frank, Once Taylor is healthy, the team should go back to him after what I saw of Mayfield Sunday. Mayfield did some good things, but he also turned the ball over 4 times and your not going to win games like that.

the defense blew the game against the Saints, Taylor had a very good game against the Saints and had us in position to win that game and special teams and D blew it.

Special teams and D blew the Steelers game too in other opportunities.

Its kneejerk to bench a Pro Bowl veteran QB after 2 games. In the Jets game Taylor got his bell rung twice before he was pulled, he probably didn't even know what was going on out there.

Do you know how many QB come in as a backup after the starter gets hurt and plays well? Does Frank Reigh Ring a bell? Kelly Holcomb? Matt Schaub? Scott Mitchell.

We fail because we base decisions off kneejerk nonsense instead of sticking to the damn plan.

Due to the way this was handled, their is no way they can go back to Taylor now...Because Jackson is such a dolt.

Your not going to win many games with a rookie QB, especially one who so far has shown a perchant for turning over the ball.

Look at Mahomes in KC, thats how you bring along a rookie QB...you sit him, and play him in spots his rookie year.

this team should go back to Taylor when he is healthy and let Mayfield sit and learn from his playing time he has gotten so far so we don't throw the kitchen sink at the kid and ruin him like we have ruined so many other promising players.

The Browns won't do that though. Mayfield was lucky to win the Jets game, had the Jets defender caught the ball in the endzone that hit him in the breadbasket, we would have lost instead of the Jets.

I fully believe Baker Mayfield CAN be the answer for us at QB, but its NOT this year. He isn't ready.

This is going to become woefully apparent against the Ravens, they are going to show him things he has never seen, and that pass rush of the Ravens is going to get to him QUICK, much faster then anything he has dealt with in his football playing career.

Mayfield will either have a horrible game against the Ravens, or get shelved for the year...he isn't ready yet, just like Desmond Harrison isn't ready yet.

Tyrod Taylor gives us the best chance to win when he is healthy, the New Orleans game proves Taylor can run this offense at a high efficeny without turning the ball over. Mayfield should have never been handed the golden ticket yet because he isn't ready...saldy we will probably see this reality 1st hand against the Ravens...the same Ravens D that held the Steelers to 14 points and made them look worse then us...its going to be ugly

If your ok with losing, keep trotting out the rookie while he learns(or gets ruined) or we actually try and win some games and start the Pro Bowl vet, I know what I would do, but then again, losing isn't a word in my vocabulary so i'll never just put up with it.

good news is i got a lot of stuff to do around the house, painting and such, so I won't have to watch the rookie get the hardest lessons of his life, if he survives the year that is...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Carson Wentz says to tell Pat hello for him ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Tyrod Taylor gives us the best chance to win when he is healthy,

Use stats, use the eye test, use whatever metric you want.. this is just flat wrong.

Considering that Tyrod played 2.5 games and Mayfield played 1.5 games...

With Tyrod we scored 39 points, with Mayfield 63
Mayfield has thrown for 30 more yards on 20 fewer attempts.
Mayfield is completing 11% more of his passes
Tyrod was sacked 4x more than Mayfield (if you want to talk about holding the ball too long)
And last but not least, Mayfield made our FG kicker better.

tongue

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I don't know how else to say it but this: with Taylor I felt zero confidence that we'd move the ball and/or score. With Mayfield I always think we have a chance to.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Rasta’s gonna LOVE this thread ... *L* ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Tyrod Taylor gives us the best chance to win when he is healthy

Nope.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
Both those fumbles were caused by him holding the dang ball too long.

The center exchange fumble was because he held the ball too long?!?

The other one, if I recall correctly, happened in about 2 seconds. Maybe I'm wrong about that, need to find a video. The pocket collapsed very, very quickly. Strips of balls when a QB is in throwing motion happen every week and to every QB at some point.

I didn't want to see him this soon either, but if you can't tell a difference when he is in there vs. Tyrod I'm not sure what you are watching. Look at the pass charts that have been posted, Tyrod NEVER went over the middle - Baker throws to anywhere.

He's going to make mistakes, I think he'll learn from them.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd say if you believe that sitting Baker longer would have helped, I agree.

If you say that starting him this soon wasn't the plan, I agree.

Circumstances often dictate a change in direction.

Saying any QB on our roster gives us a better chance of winning, everything from stats to the eye test show overwhelmingly that's as wrong as wrong can be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't think Baker is 100% ready in fact I would have rather seen him sit for at least half the season. But, after watching him play I feel he gives us the better chance to win. I just hope he doesn't take a beating with the tough D's he will have to face.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You could not keep him out after watching Taylors horrific performance.

Legend
Legend
I think TT looked more like a rookie or Weeden flipper fest.

Some catching would help. Showcase runners. BM has done some of what I figured I would see from a rook. Much of it can be cleaned up. Some folks could catch; some could tackle.

We sent the D out too much. BM was next up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
There are some posts on this board that make me wonder if the poster is on drugs ..... then there are others that make me quite certain they are. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I don't think Baker is 100% ready in fact I would have rather seen him sit for at least half the season. But, after watching him play I feel he gives us the better chance to win. I just hope he doesn't take a beating with the tough D's he will have to face.

I think that Baker is the kind of guy who learns things very quickly, and the more things he sees on the field, the better he'll get. I am not worried about his psyche being crushed, or anything like that. He seems to be incredibly resilient, and his teammates believe in him completely. (and he also took the blame for a lot of his teammates' mistakes)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I see we have another forum member on LSD.

No Craps Given
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I see we have another forum member on LSD.

Quit disparaging LSD. smile

Again, I think posters like this NEED LSD to open their mind. This poster is obviously not on it.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 10/02/18 02:31 PM.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Even with the turnovers, if you consider how much went wrong from 9 drops, his OC with his head in the 4th POC, and to still put up 42 points, I don't think you can put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. But I do think they need to do a better job putting him in position to be successful. Running the ball more is the obvious place to start. I'd try some RPO and see if you can get some quick hitters and slow down the pass rush a bit

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
Nah don't think so tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remember folks, this is the guy who spent February 2017 trying to convince us that drafting Myles Garrett would be the biggest mistake in franchise history.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Is this a serious thread or an Onion article?

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Congrats OP! It's extremely difficult to achieve 100% disagreement, but you've done it. In case you were wondering, that makes you really really wrong.

Legend
Legend
Now, now .... there is one other certain poster who hasn't chimed in yet ...... wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The plan was in place to sit Mayfield.

Until circumstances showed unquestionably that Mayfield was the better option and gives the team a better chance to win.

Obviously you are writing what you believe.

However that does not represent what is clear to see.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Your not going to win many games with a rookie QB, especially one who so far has shown a perchant for turning over the ball.

smh

You do realize that Dalton, Flacco, and Roethlisberger all started as rookies and all 3 went to the playoffs...

Also, Mayfield is known for not turning the ball over.

There is so much incorrect information within your post.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think Baker is 100% ready in fact I would have rather seen him sit for at least half the season.

Baker not getting any first team reps in training camp might have something to do with him not being 100% ready.

C
Legend
Legend
C

What makes him ready after half the season? Why not nine games?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Sorry man, I gotta disagree. I think they may have wanted to redshirt Mayfield, but they knew damn well that making Mayfield QB2 would result in him eventually starting before the halfway point of the season. We lost a hall of fame left tackle, and Tyrod Taylor plays risky in terms of being durable. It was going to happen, and the Browns tried to trick themselves into thinking they could sit Mayfield all year. If they really wanted to stick to the plan, Stanton would be starting. Hue knows his job is on the line.

Both the fumbles were not the result of Mayfield holding the ball too long. One fumble was on a center/QB exchange, and the other happened just as he hit his 3rd or 4th step on the dropback.

Baker played well. He looked skittish in overtime, but I thought the playcalling was a total letdown. Why not run the ball after Oakland missed that FG? Even if you don't get a first down, you can punt the ball and pin them in. You did your rookie QB no favors.

I just don't understand how you can even consider wanting to go back to Taylor. The run game was horrible. The defense was clearly getting frustrated. Baker comes in and you're scoring points left and right.

Not to mention, above everything else, he looks ready to take on the role. That is most important.

We all have these dreams of being able to sit a quarterback for a year (or more, some people actually believe Rodgers is great because he sat so long, LOL) but the nature of the beast, is that if you really wanted that, you'd have built an offense around Tyrod Taylor, and signed a better QB. The Browns were looking for a reason not to start Mayfield from day one, and pin all their hopes to a rookie. They were clearly just trying to protect the guy, but right now he's Hue Jackson, and probably this entire coaching staff's best hope to see 2019.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Tyrod Taylor gives us the best chance to win

No way I can handle watching footballs falling 3 yds behind open receivers..

So far Baker has one up on TT...

And the 42 points he scored...hasn't been done since 2007.

Haley should of kept running the ball..

I'm ready for more Baker...jmo.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I like how he uses Mayfield holding the ball too long. Not only is Mayfield faster than Tyrod, Tyrod is the slowest QB to get rid of the ball in the NFL.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Mayfield is our starter. Let's move on.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Forgive me for saying this but Tyrod Taylor just does not see the field as well as Baker Mayfield does. The ball gets hiked, Mayfield peddles back, scans, and BOOM! The ball is out from there. Now with Tyrod, he holds onto the ball way too long, even if people are open down field he doesn't throw any intermediate passes or take any chances at all. He always checks down and takes the safe option. Well sometimes risk is needed to win the football game.

The other day the only bad thing Mayfield did in my opinion was go for that long throw before going into OT. He didn't need that long throw but he was trying to win the game for the team. This is what I want my QB to do, but it was a bad decision and he will learn. Other than that he played absolutely excellent.

You can't say with a straight face that Tyrod Tayor can actually move the offense and put up points because the fact is that he can't...And that is why he is on the bench and Baker Mayfield is the starter. Mayfield brings excitement, an inner drive to win, he makes other players around him try hard, believe, and want to win!!!! These and other measurable qualities is why he is the starter right now.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seriously??...Do you have eyes to see?

I think you forgot what a real QB looks like and being a Browns fan, I'll give you a pass on that, pardon the pun.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Well stated, but I disagree.

There is a day and night difference between whet we have done with Bake under center and TT.

Yep, Bake is going to make mistakes. That's a part of it.

I can live with it, especially if we still stick 42 on the board.

Even if we take away Chubbs 2 long runs and assume we got nothing, we still have 28...28 should win you more than a few games.

It's all good man. Take the good with the bad and try to enjoy the ride.

Bake is going to have some crappy games, but so far we have seen the glimmers of hope that make many think he has a high ceiling and a high floor.

That is all you can ask for.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Look I understand the passion, but throwing insults at me is both unprofessional and classless.

Just because it may be perceived that Mayfield gives us the best chance to win does NOT mean we should put him out there anyways. He is still rookie, and we can do far more harm to him and his potential by pushing the envelope too soon.

Do you realize Tom Brady the GOAT said and I quote:

"HAD I STARTED AS A ROOKIE I PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE IN THE LEAGUE TODAY. - TOM BRADY

Tony Romo said and I quote:

"It takes 2 years to really know whats going on as an NFL QB." - Tony Romo.

the plan was to play Taylor this year. We should have followed that plan no matter what. We were not going to the playoffs this year, nor were we competing for the division.

The plan was to develop the roster and develop a QB, we turned over most of the roster from last year, that is a development time.

All the Qb meantioned being good their rookie years had much better teams around them.

Big Ben for example had - Bettis, Alan Fancea, Hines Ward for starters

The plan was to sit Mayfield. THAT WAS THE PLAN AND WE SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO IT.

When are Browns fans going to learn. How many times are we going to draft 1st rd Qb and then put them out their to play before they are ready and ruin them?

QB ARE DEVELOPLED! QB ARE DEVELOPED! QB ARE DEVELOPED! QB ARE DEVELOPED!

We are not an established NFL team with 3-4 Prop Bowler or a few All pro players like the Falcons were with Ryan, like the Steelers were with Ben, Like the Ravens were with Flacco, etc...all the rookie Qb that succeed you will find have 3-4 All pro guys on the roster between O and D...we don't have any All Pro Pro bowl guys except maybe Landry, everyone else has not proven longterm that they are top quality players.

the reason I am so passionate about this is because I truly believe that Mayfield IS THE GUY, he is...he is the guy OF THE FUTURE and that future is not until next year, and we are going to ruin this kid just like we ruined Kizer.

It doesn't matter what Mayfields personality is, when the losses start racking up, when he starts second guessing himself, when he starts to loose confidence in his team mates, loses confidence his receivers, guys making mistakes, I don't care who you are, that is going to weigh on anyone with a competitive fire and that kinda stuff can easily end up putting that fire out even in guys like Mayfield.

We handled this completely wrong, us Browns fans and this organization just simply can't get out of our own ways...we rush things, driven on pure emotion, we never give anything time to grow.

Baker Mayfield is the fresh corn seed planted in the Corn Field 3 weeks ago that we ripped up out of the ground because we expected it to have grown corn already.

Taylor wasn't even given a fair chance...he is a veteran guy who has been in the Pro Bowl twice in 3 years...that alone would have guaranteed him significantly more leeway in any other city...

We were not going to contend this year, the plan was to let Taylor play, take the lumps, etc and give Baker time to develop so he could step into the team next year with a solid grasp on the playbook, and what it is to be an NFL QB.

I fully believe Haslam over ruled Dorsey on sitting Mayfield, and its a mistake and we are going to pay for it.

We as a fan base have no damn patience at all to develop anyone and we wonder why we fail....The Browns are NBOT the rest of the NFL with an established team, with a few All pro guys, and we will NOT get solid QB play until we invest 100% into developing a QB and developing a roster, and you don't do that by playing a guy before he is ready on a roster that isn't adequate which is exactly what we have done with Mayfield...."Sigh"....we will never learn it seems...never learn...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Carson Wentz, Payton Manning and John Elway and about 50 other very good - great QB’s say hello ...

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish
The plan was in place to sit Mayfield.

Until circumstances showed unquestionably that Mayfield was the better option and gives the team a better chance to win.

Obviously you are writing what you believe.

However that does not represent what is clear to see.

Exactly. Mayfield is still a rookie, he's going to have his moments which drive us up the wall, but he's also undoubtedly proven that he is the best quarterback on the roster.

Personally, I think Mayfield is taking too much heat for his turnovers against the Raiders. The pick-six was off Callaway's hands. I'll never count them as an interception. The fumble on the snap, I don't know if that's on Mayfield or Tretter. Outside of that, it's two turnovers. Not the end of the world for a rookie on a high snap count.

Compared to his production output, I think he's held on to the ball well. We're not seeing Kizer-esque levels of turning it over or anything. Admittedly, Kizer was a raw second round pick, but Mayfield is still a developing rookie in his own way.

I don't have any questions about Mayfield starting now. I love the plan to sit him, but injury forced him on the field and he's proven that he belongs out there.

I hope we can all be patient. I think of Goff, Trubisky, etc. Mayfield, at the same point of his career, is significantly further ahead than the others.

If this is just his developing stage, I'm really excited to see him next year with experience under his belt.

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
I can see your point somewhat. If Taylor hadn't gotten hurt in the 3rd game, he's probably still be starting. And I would agree that we should stick with him.

But the fact is he did get hurt. And then Mayfield came in and the results were obvious to anyone with eyes. He was soooo much better than Taylor that there was just pretty much no way to go back.

And then in the very next game Mayfield put up the most points in 12 years. He proved that he IS ready to start, no matter what anyone else thinks. Sure he'll make mistakes. 12 year veterans make mistakes too. Despite his mistakes he put up 42 freakin' points. That will win you a lot of games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nope. Taylor did nothing.

Give Mayfield his chance, let him develop. That is the best option for now.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:
Personally, I think Mayfield is taking too much heat for his turnovers against the Raiders. The pick-six was off Callaway's hands. I'll never count them as an interception. The fumble on the snap, I don't know if that's on Mayfield or Tretter. Outside of that, it's two turnovers. Not the end of the world for a rookie on a high snap count.

He is taking too much heat and it's STUPID.

Callaway SLIPPED and the ball deflected off his hands. NOT ON MAYFIELD.

The 2nd pick was one where he shoulda found something underneath. Wasn't that like 3rd and 5ish?

The botched snap was on Tretter. He said so much himself.

The other fumble was a collapse of the right side of the line FAST.

Even with 4 turnovers, he STILL laid 42 on the Raiders. And if memory serves me, only ONCE did he start on a somewhat short field. The 50 yard pick return by Randall. Everything else was from drives.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 Mayfield named starter too soon

Link Copied to Clipboard