few steps back today.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Rishuz #1539745 10/28/18 09:05 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The only reason anyone would label you a hater of Baker is because you're overly critical of him. I think you called his play in the Chargers game horrific. Gross overstatement. Kid had like more than 5 plus level throws. He wasn't perfect and made his share of mistakes, but "horrific" is really extreme and out of context considering he was starting his third ever game. It's that type of embellishment that gets people labeled.

Back to the topic. In an ideal world we start winning some games and get to maintain continuity. I think I think that's best for team growth. I'm undecided on Hue. A win tomorrow will go a long way in helping keep everyone in place. A blowout will be hard to stomach.

One other thing I think I think. I think it's important in sports to strike when the iron is hot so to speak. I think there should be a natural progression and teams should grow the longer they stay and play together. But I don't think that guarantees anything. It doesn't mean in three years you'll magically be playing in the playoffs because everything the team is doing is relative to the rest of the league. The rest of the league isn't standing by waiting for the dregs of the league to get better. You have to find a way to start winning some games for confidence and momentum. Confidence and momentum just can't be underestimated in contributing to wins and losses.

The Browns simply can't go 2-13-1 the rest of the way, then rest on this notion that they are growing and developing even if they are competitive in every game. They need to start winning some games. Tomorrow would be a great start. I was impressed with the collective press conferences of Hue, Haley, and Baker this week. Considering all the stuff that came out after last week's loss, they played it off well. If the team and coaches can block out the noise and start stringing together some wins that would best for "team growth".

Anyone who does not think Baker is the the perfect QB is labeled a hater here.

I think Vers praised Baker many times here, honestly I think most of the fans just saw what they wanted to see.

BM is a rookie and has limitations on his game. People are demanding too much for him, and actually wanting a QB that's not him, and that's probably going to ruin him.

He is a rookie, and he is struggling, its just normal.

Use the run game, and stop demanding so much from him, let him do what he is good at.

Maybe time to insert TT back... it worked for the Bills

CalDawg #1539760 10/28/18 09:40 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Question for all you sardonic wits: Which of you were sure we were going into Heinz field today and beat the Steelers raise your hands? This team needs a few all out ass kickings just as much as they need the experience playing teams like the Steelers, winning close games against the Ravens, and losing close games against the Bucs. Today they were outmatched, outclassed, and outmanned. The loss stinks, from it should come growth. It should also serve to show that we are still woefully shy of talent, and woefully young and inexperienced. If you think about it, it's actually more shocking how poorly the Steelers played against us the first time, and during the 1st quarter. They're seasoned and stacked with talent. They should've won. There's growth here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539764 10/28/18 09:44 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Question for all you sardonic wits: Which of you were sure we were going into Heinz field today and beat the Steelers raise your hands? This team needs a few all out ass kickings just as much as they need the experience playing teams like the Steelers, winning close games against the Ravens, and closing close games against the Bucs. Today they were outmatched, outclassed, and outmanned. The loss stinks, from it should come growth. It should also serve to show that we are still woefully shy of talent, and woefully young and inexperienced. If you think about it, it's actually more shocking how poorly the Steelers played against us the first time, and during the 1st quarter. They're seasoned and stacked with talent. They should've won. There's growth here.

I actually thought they would lose by a little more. 17 was my number.

There will, of course, be growth, maybe a little, maybe a lot. Who knows?

Last edited by Hamfist; 10/28/18 09:44 PM.
CalDawg #1539766 10/28/18 09:52 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
cal, you just hit on the source of our incompetence. that team is “loaded with talent” and we are not. Yet I would bet that in the past ten years we have drafted, on average, 20-25 spots higher than them. We should be the team loaded with talent and we are not. We have sunk a ton of dough into an offensive line that was a sieve today. I just do not know if we are ever going to be a regular playoff contender.

CalDawg #1539767 10/28/18 09:52 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Question for all you sardonic wits: Which of you were sure we were going into Heinz field today and beat the Steelers raise your hands? This team needs a few all out ass kickings just as much as they need the experience playing teams like the Steelers, winning close games against the Ravens, and closing close games against the Bucs. Today they were outmatched, outclassed, and outmanned. The loss stinks, from it should come growth. It should also serve to show that we are still woefully shy of talent, and woefully young and inexperienced. If you think about it, it's actually more shocking how poorly the Steelers played against us the first time, and during the 1st quarter. They're seasoned and stacked with talent. They should've won. There's growth here.

This is excuse making.

Losing is not growth.

3-36-1 is not growth. It's a sign that something isn't working.

You could maybe argue growth if the team was competitive and kept it close, but they were completely outmatched. At no point were the Steelers threatened or did it appear they would lose. At no point did the Browns figure out the Steelers D or appear to have any answers to counteract it. The defense gave up.

I don't see any signs of growth.

Oh, but injuries. Oh, but no talent. Oh, but no depth. Oh, but, but, but, but.

The Browns stink. The only thing the Browns had going for them early was a promising young D and a promising young QB. Both of those have regressed. If we were experiencing "growth" wouldn't we expect to see these only bright spots continue to be bright spots?

I mean how do we measure growth? Where is the growth you speak of? Just giving more time doesn't mean there will be growth.

CalDawg #1539768 10/28/18 09:52 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I will come back to this thread even though I said I was out. The reason for that is two-fold. One, Cal doesn't deserve me abandoning it after I asked for more football threads. The second is that I want t express my thoughts on the team and I refuse to go back to the Hue threads or talk to any of the guys who are acting despicably.

This game was not lost due to coaching. Hue did not do one thing to lose this game. Talk of firing him is nonsense.

This team did not show signs of quitting on Hue or Haley. They came out and dominated the Steelers in the first quarter. The problem was that we could have been up 21 to 0 after the first quarter. Instead, we were up 6 to 0. That isn't coaching. It's lack of execution.

Baker did some good things, but he struggled against the blitz. The OL struggled against the blitz. I saw Chubb miss blocks on 3 consecutive plays. It's execution.

That is to be expected w/a young team. I see positive growth, but we got overwhelmed by a superior team.

I see people talking out their ass about Hue holding Baker back. That's dumb. Next year, the excuse will be "Baker is playing w/a new HC and OC in just his second year. The talent is different. There is no continuity."

Stay the course. This team is getting better.

And I'm going to say this before one of them says that I am afraid to answer their questions...........some of you may have noticed I am not talking to guys like peen, Memphis, cfrs, rasta, Rish, 4life, etc any longer. Their behavior this past week has been beyond deplorable. I tried to debate w/those guys, but it's gotten much too ugly.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Talk of firing him is nonsense? Have you seen Hue Jackson's record?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Talk of firing him is nonsense? Have you seen Hue Jackson's record?

He is just beating a dead horse....

Its just a question of timming, think Dorsey is not going to let this thing rotten, bye week is the perfect ocasion.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
cal, you just hit on the source of our incompetence. that team is “loaded with talent” and we are not. Yet I would bet that in the past ten years we have drafted, on average, 20-25 spots higher than them. We should be the team loaded with talent and we are not. We have sunk a ton of dough into an offensive line that was a sieve today. I just do not know if we are ever going to be a regular playoff contender.

I get the frustration, but you can't hold all the previous draft busts against the current administration, and losing Joe T this year was a huge blow. Had he not been injured last year he may have given us another year or two to prepare for his departure, but that didn't happen and asking Dorsey to fix all the holes at once this year is asking the impossible. I imagine WR, OL, LB & CB will be top priorities this year.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539784 10/28/18 10:13 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I get the frustration, but you can't hold all the previous draft busts against the current administration, and losing Joe T this year was a huge blow. Had he not been injured last year he may have given us another year or two to prepare for his departure, but that didn't happen and asking Dorsey to fix all the holes at once this year is asking the impossible. I imagine WR, OL, LB & CB will be top priorities this year.

Head coach is the first priority... Define a team identity, get someone that knows how to coach a team.

Adding talent is secondary in my opinion, its just wasting players and time.

CalDawg #1539787 10/28/18 10:16 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Hmmm......
The scientific method would seem applicable here:
Constant - Hue
Variable - players
Result - well, you know.

Rishuz #1539788 10/28/18 10:16 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's ridiculous to think the 2026 & 2017 teams were capable of winning anything. Or to trot out Hue's record for those two seasons as a reason to fire him, but you, many others, and the media will hang your hats on that. So there's no reasoning with that. You believe you're right. So be it. I believe you're wrong. I think this season will be rough with ups and downs. I believe next year will be better, and the year after that better yet. I just hope I get to see it without blowing it up and without having to reset the clock. I do see growth in losing. You have your take, I have mine. I can live with that.

#gmstrong
Hamfist #1539790 10/28/18 10:18 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
Hmmm......
Constant - Hue
Variable - players
Result - well, you know.

You're leaving out an ass load of other variables. Age, experience, the other teams, refs, and so on. But I think you know that.

#gmstrong
rastanplan #1539792 10/28/18 10:19 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I disagree.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539793 10/28/18 10:19 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
It's ridiculous to think the 2026 & 2017 teams were capable of winning anything. Or to trot out Hue's record for those two seasons as a reason to fire him, but you, many others, and the media will hang your hats on that. So there's no reasoning with that. You believe you're right. So be it. I believe you're wrong. I think this season will be rough with ups and downs. I believe next year will be better, and the year after that better yet. I just hope I get to see it without blowing it up and without having to reset the clock. I do see growth in losing. You have your take, I have mine. I can live with that.

I think you are being proved wrong. It was never a matter of talent..

Sure we were never going to the post-season, but we had enough talent to be competitive.

I guess you are so far down that road, that you will never turn back, no matter what.

rastanplan #1539797 10/28/18 10:22 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
lol, no one in this discussion is proving anything. It's all opinion. The only thing that will prove anything is time. You want to be proven right, give the man time and talent. If he fails, you're right. I'll throw you a party.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539798 10/28/18 10:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
People are ignoring that Sashi completely dismantled the team and we has almost zero talent on the team the first two years. Constant losing has long-term effects.

I made countless posts about how hard it was going to be to overcome such epic losing. The same guys who loved Sashi are the same guys blaming Hue for all the losing.

We have a new GM now in Dorsey. He is improving the talent. The team is young and inexperienced. They don't know how to win yet.

While discussing the team on Diam's Optimism thread, I tried to warn people of unrealistic expectations. The fallout can get ugly. And it's ugly right now.

Of course, there are posters who were going to complain no matter what, but now others are actually believing the crap they spew.

CalDawg #1539802 10/28/18 10:24 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
lol, no one in this discussion is proving anything. It's all opinion. The only thing that will prove anything is time. You want to be proven right, give the man time and talent. If he fails, you're right. I'll throw you a party.

Time and talent, why should we give Hue anything.... Team is regressing.

You are making no sense, its beating a dead horse.

CalDawg #1539803 10/28/18 10:25 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Cal, what are you basing the growth on?

I just went and reread your list to start the thread. Most of those items did not occur today. Should they occur every week to continue to demonstrate growth?

The team has regressed for three straight weeks. Baker has regressed for three straight weeks. The defense has regressed for three straight weeks. In a period of growth, should that be the case?

I like that we can agree to disagree. Doesn't bother me at all. This is not a place to get emotional about anything. But what I'm telling you is I think you and others are hoping that stability will bring team growth because I'm not seeing it on the field.

There is no tangential evidence to support your claim. In my opinion, it's only subjective wishful thinking.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
People are ignoring that Sashi completely dismantled the team and we has almost zero talent on the team the first two years. Constant losing has long-term effects.

I made countless posts about how hard it was going to be to overcome such epic losing. The same guys who loved Sashi are the same guys blaming Hue for all the losing.

We have a new GM now in Dorsey. He is improving the talent. The team is young and inexperienced. They don't know how to win yet.

While discussing the team on Diam's Optimism thread, I tried to warn people of unrealistic expectations. The fallout can get ugly. And it's ugly right now.

Of course, there are posters who were going to complain no matter what, but now others are actually believing the crap they spew.

Man, you should start a cult...

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Holding up Hue's record his first two as a reason to fire him is low hanging fruit and I expect the media and most fans to grab it with both hands. Nature of the beast. Hell, I even understand it. It's just that I've been watching football a long, long time, and I see good things here, for the first time in a very long time. I see no reason to blow it up, especially over something as silly and meaningless as fan/media impatience.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539811 10/28/18 10:30 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, it's to the point where I watch a game and I am thinking about how certain people will use this or that to simply bash the Browns and Hue. Those posters have taken the fun out of a season that I think has shown growth.

The sad thing is their biased negativity is adversely affecting the team. It sucks listening to negative comments day in and day out when you are busting your ass. I played and coached. Believe me, I know all about it.

Rishuz #1539813 10/28/18 10:33 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You're assuming because you didn't see it this week that it isn't there, that's the nature of growth on a football team, the consistency isn't always there, it comes with maturity, this is far, far away from being a mature team. And it's not just time, or stability that will advance this team, it's experience, coaching, more infusions of talent and so on. It's just too early to blow it up. It's the definition of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. And I haven't seen regression the past three weeks, in fact, we were very competitive last week. We just didn't bring it home. For whatever reason, but we could have. that's how it goes at this stage.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539817 10/28/18 10:35 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
Hmmm......
Constant - Hue
Variable - players
Result - well, you know.

You're leaving out an ass load of other variables. Age, experience, the other teams, refs, and so on. But I think you know that.

Oh, yeah. But, at this point, all I can do is make jokes about it.

rastanplan #1539818 10/28/18 10:36 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
What do you want me to say, you're right, I'm wrong? Not going to happen, I think it's you who is beating the dead horse. If you're not satisfied with my answers, leave it alone and move on. I don't care what you think, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm happy you have one. I know you're a Browns fan, that makes us brothers, I just don't agree with your take. No big deal.

#gmstrong
DiamDawg #1539819 10/28/18 10:37 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Talk about young talent, if they can keep the team together long enough to see them grow into something special.
IF.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Yeah, it's to the point where I watch a game and I am thinking about how certain people will use this or that to simply bash the Browns and Hue. Those posters have taken the fun out of a season that I think has shown growth.

The sad thing is their biased negativity is adversely affecting the team. It sucks listening to negative comments day in and day out when you are busting your ass. I played and coached. Believe me, I know all about it.

Then they shouldn’t listen. Or, maybe win once in a while. Up to them.

CalDawg #1539849 10/28/18 10:56 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Holding up Hue's record his first two as a reason to fire him is low hanging fruit and I expect the media and most fans to grab it with both hands. Nature of the beast. Hell, I even understand it. It's just that I've been watching football a long, long time, and I see good things here, for the first time in a very long time. I see no reason to blow it up, especially over something as silly and meaningless as fan/media impatience.

Would you take the teams record, in the 8 games yet to be played and playoffs if they make it?
If so, What would = progress?

THROW LONG #1539862 10/28/18 11:13 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Honestly, looking at the remaining schedule, I'll be happy with another win and competitive play in a few of the others (Denver, Ravens, Falcons). But that's just me. I don't think we have the talent to compete with the remaining teams we have to play. Any wins at this point would be bonuses. But I damn sure don't believe an interim coach will magically make it happen. What I would say at this point is, brace yourselves, it's going to be ugly. I hope the Haslams can stay the course.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1539923 10/29/18 05:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Regression yesterday. Baker's getting destroyed, and looks like a different dude. No separation from WRs. TE's are absent. OL is a sieve, literally. Defense gets gassed and folds. Kicker leaves 4 points on the field.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Two steps forward, one step back ...

Were not quite there yet bro ... we’re at the

1/2 a step forward, two steps back phase ...

Hopefully we get some guys back next week and can heal up over the bye so we can see some progress on the field over the last 7 weeks ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1539976 10/29/18 09:19 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to point out something that at least a few people may remember.

While posters are complaining about our coaching staff in general and Hue in particular, it was the Browns who came out of the gate w/energy and focus.

We completely dominated the Steelers in the first quarter. It could have easily been 21 to 0, but we didn't execute as well as we should have in the red zone.

Some might even remember the Steeler fans were booing their own team. Talk of the team quitting on Hue is nonsense. We were the team who came out playing better. We had way more energy than they did.

We got beat because the Steelers have a better team right now. Changing coaches won't change that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

While posters are complaining about our coaching staff in general and Hue in particular, it was the Browns who came out of the gate w/energy and focus.

We completely dominated the Steelers in the first quarter. It could have easily been 21 to 0, but we didn't execute as well as we should have in the red zone.

Some might even remember the Steeler fans were booing their own team. Talk of the team quitting on Hue is nonsense. We were the team who came out playing better. We had way more energy than they did.

We got beat because the Steelers have a better team right now. Changing coaches won't change that.

Quoted for truth.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Talk of the team quitting on Hue is nonsense.
We did come out playing better, you are right. But the team absolutely quit. They might not have quit on Hue, but they absolutely quit during this game. I saw Myles give up a few plays late, and others as well let Connor run right past them without even an attempt to stop him.

They may not have quit on Hue, but they quit on this game - absolutely.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Now they can quit on the season. thumbsup

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

I agree Vers ... i asked Swish in PM’s this morning (didnt dare ask on the board at the risk of getting crucified by the vultures ... *L*) ... if he thought we gave up or were just overwhelmed ... i was out with friends and was only half paying attention after the 1st quarter ..

Our O is definelty overwhelmed ... and WILL CONTINUE to be so the rest of the year ...

The thief caved bro .. nuttin we can do about that but hope for the best ...

thumbsdown

DiamDawg #1540325 10/29/18 01:35 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I find it hard to hope for the best when this franchise keeps making the same dumb mistakes time after time.

Things were finally looking up and we blow it up yet again. I'm beyond disgusted.

CalDawg #1550274 11/15/18 11:51 AM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So a couple things I noticed the past few weeks.

Special teams is playing better.

The O-line seems to be gelling. Run blocking is looking very good and Baker is staying clean.

I think we can safely say the play calling has been effective.

Along with the execution.

Baker is developing chemistry with his receivers.

You can see a team forming under his leadership.

We're seeing sustained drives.

Good pass run ratios.

The defense is looking opportunistic.

I'm really impressed with how the secondary is playing, especially given the injuries.

Collins seems to have gotten the memo to show up on game day.

Our four man rush is getting pressure (if not a ton of sacks).

We've become a turnover machine on D.

The team is having fun.

We finished a game strong.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1550286 11/15/18 12:21 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree with everything you just wrote.

Hard to believe how much better the team has looked since Hue was fired. I was not expecting that at all.

I think we need to see more - the two games we played against had 2 of the worst defenses in the NFL. But it's encouraging. I'm actually looking at the schedule and thinking we can win games. I like playing the Bengals after the bye week - that will also be a super interesting game to watch and see how prepared the team is and if they continue showing better discipline & execution. Season is fun again as of right now!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Team Growth

Link Copied to Clipboard