Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Quote:

Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
That wasn't a very good game offensively for anyone, but the special teams in that game were crazy good. OSU did what they needed to get out of there with the W.

I think it's probably safe to say now that it will be down to the OSU/Michigan game. Nobody can screw up enough for this side of the division to be decided before the game.

I think it's pretty cool now that it actually means something. It's been pretty one sided, and that's awesome, but I think it's great for the conference. If i were setting the line for the game I would probably have it less than a fg OSU's way.

Gun to my head I think Michigan wins it this year, and that is based solely on Ohio State's struggles on defense and their glaring problems with the offensive line. Skill position wise I think they're a little better, but not much after that.

Northwestern is officially in the B1G championship game too. Hell of a job by them.

I have been pretty firm against expanding the field for the playoff, but one thing that does get to me would be that a team like Northwestern could get their shot. Right now, they know that at best, they're going to play spoiler for their own conference. If they win, they would assure the Big Ten out of the playoff. If things were expanded it would be cool to see Northwestern and smaller programs like Northwestern have something to play for all year.

Thats why I say 8 teams would be great say if NW wins the Big Ten they would be in the playoffs with the 5 major conference winners getting in and 3 wild cards ...

In what world would this be fair to actually good teams? This year proves why 8 teams shouldn't be in it. Probably why 4 teams is too many.

I get what you're saying, but I think in college football we reward middle of the road teams for losing to better teams a little too much...

5 conference winners, and 3 wild cards, which would assure you of that one or two teams every year that were good enough but didn't win their conference (Alabama last year, even though I constantly rip their schedule, and Ohio State in 2014)

Sorry man but in this situation, I don't feel bad for that 3rd or 4th place team in whatever conference that thinks they're better than UCF or someone else who won their conference.

Legend
Legend
WHo's up this week? Maryland?

Dont look ahead yet ... gotta drill them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I just cannot imagine a system in which the P5 get automatic bids that will still be fair not non majors. Imo expanding the playoffs rewards losing and cheapens the conference titles. Winning your conference should be a big deal for schools. NW has a chance to win a conference championship, spend their new years in LA and have a shot at winning the Rose Bowl. If they lose they'll be playing in the middle of December in the middle of the country. Sounds like they have plenty to play for.

S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I just cannot imagine a system in which the P5 get automatic bids that will still be fair not non majors. Imo expanding the playoffs rewards losing and cheapens the conference titles. Winning your conference should be a big deal for schools. NW has a chance to win a conference championship, spend their new years in LA and have a shot at winning the Rose Bowl. If they lose they'll be playing in the middle of December in the middle of the country. Sounds like they have plenty to play for.

I'm stuck between the way you feel, and taking a hard look at NW's situation. Is there really a difference football-wise between playing the Rose Bowl, and playing some crappy mid-december bowl? Aside from the pageantry and all that other stuff, you're still not playing for anything.

I'm definitely stuck between wanting it kept at 4, and expanding it.

On one hand, like I said, you give hope to everyone who is competing for their conference title a shot.

On the other hand, teams would definitely have opportunities to rest guys in certain situations. For instance, NW could rest guys this weekend because they know they're already playing for a conference title. Ohio State over the last few years have had 1 sometimes even 2 weeks knowing they were playing in Indy... That's not good for college football either.

I do think they'll expand it to either 6 or 8.

I just don't think there is a right answer. I with a 4 team playoff you'll have years where there are 2 maybe 3 additional teams that would have been great for the playoff...

And if you flipped it around and had an 8 team, you would have other years where 2 or 3 teams that got in, had no business being there. Guess it boils down to which would happen more.

Just glad we're having this conversation and not talking about the BCS. 100+ teams and you narrow it down to 2 was a little ridiculous. Although the previous setup was even worse, and probably brought out the most hilarious of takes back in the day.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Is there really a difference football-wise between playing the Rose Bowl, and playing some crappy mid-december bowl? Aside from the pageantry and all that other stuff, you're still not playing for anything.

There are only about 10 schools going into every season that legitimately have a chance to "play for anything" if the "anything"you are talking about is a national championship.. and in reality, might be less than that..

Everybody else defines "playing for something" differently.... for some it's the prestige of the bowl, for others its just eeking out the 6 wins to get to a bowl game at all... so yes, I would imagine that to NW players and fans, there is a monumental difference between the Rose Bowl and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
Is there really a difference football-wise between playing the Rose Bowl, and playing some crappy mid-december bowl? Aside from the pageantry and all that other stuff, you're still not playing for anything.

There are only about 10 schools going into every season that legitimately have a chance to "play for anything" if the "anything"you are talking about is a national championship.. and in reality, might be less than that..

Everybody else defines "playing for something" differently.... for some it's the prestige of the bowl, for others its just eeking out the 6 wins to get to a bowl game at all... so yes, I would imagine that to NW players and fans, there is a monumental difference between the Rose Bowl and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Totally get your point, but football-wise, it's still meaningless.

Maybe there aren't more than 10 teams who really have a shot, but I still think the cinderella factor would be pretty cool. Plus triggering SEC fans would be hilarious.

Some dude who thinks Tennessee never wins because they're in the SEC and not because they are a giant heaping pile of dog crap every year LOL.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm quite sure athletic departments across the country feel those giant paydays that come from bowl games are important.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm quite sure athletic departments across the country feel those giant paydays that come from bowl games are important.

For the most part, you would be correct.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Maybe there aren't more than 10 teams who really have a shot, but I still think the cinderella factor would be pretty cool. Plus triggering SEC fans would be hilarious.

CFB doesn't do cinderellas the way CBB does.. it's just never going to happen... though I agree it would be cool.

the only possibility for a cinderella in CFB right now is UCF and barring some tragic bus crashes and debilitating illnesses to about 10 other teams, they are never going to get a shot.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

CFB doesn't do cinderellas the way CBB does.. it's just never going to happen... though I agree it would be cool.

the only possibility for a cinderella in CFB right now is UCF and barring some tragic bus crashes and debilitating illnesses to about 10 other teams, they are never going to get a shot.

If this thing ever expended, I believe they would.

Right now? No chance. They'd have to schedule 2 really good teams OOC, and those seem to always be done years in advance. It sucks, because they are doing everything asked of them.

If this got expanded to 8, I think an undefeateed UCF team, esp after coming off last year, would get one of those wild card spots. I'd have no problem putting them in over some 2 loss team that somehow takes credit for losing to better teams...

I'm trying to see both sides of it. That part of it would be cool and exciting.

The other side of it would be us seeing the possible watering down of the most exciting regular season in all of sports. That is something I don't want to see ruined. I don't want teams resting guys or just playing half assed in their final week, just because they know they're already in.

I don't know if there can be a happy medium either. I don't know if 6 teams with 2 top seed byes would really be all that great. Would it be 5 conference winners and a WC? Would it just be an expansion of what we have now where we have a committee pick what they believe is the 6 best teams?

Was talking about this the other day, how about the committee picks 3, and the 4th and final team is a play in game, which would also be cool because you could stick it in the middle of December to keep college football games in the headlines. In that setting, you get 5 teams technically.

I don't know what the right way is. Regardless of what I think, I do believe this thing will be expanded in the next 5 or 6 years.

Legend
Legend
I love the idea of eight teams... take the power five conference champ and then three at large...

<><

#gmstrong
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
F this team

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can we sign their field goal kickier today? He just kicked a 46 yarder like it was a chip shot onto a green.

Joe Thomas #73
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Anybody think we are beating Mich next week

Legend
Legend
Buckeyes better wake up soon. They are being dominated thus far.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
We might just give up 300 yards rushing in the 1st half. Maybe even more than that. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good finish to the drive there. That's about the best I can say about the Buckeyes. I don't understand how a defense full of 4 and 5 star recruits can get gashed over and over by Maryland.

Last edited by Haus; 11/17/18 02:01 PM.
Legend
Legend

...and just like that, we're back in it with momentum. Sacks were huge to knock them out of field goal range.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
our D is atrocious

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
just end this misery

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
How do they not have an angle of this so close to the end zone? Are they only running 3 cameras?

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Down 24-17 at half. pretty embarrassing

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The nightmare continues.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This game is killing me.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
This game is insane! At this rate, it’s going 11 overtime’s.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coach look more stressed than Urban Meyer during this game. Given his health issues, it is really weird to watch.

Legend
Legend
Holy Toledo!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend

Never a doubt...

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Can’t be happy with this win I wouldn’t think. Ohio state has a huge issue on defense

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I hope to god we don’t magically get into the playoffs.

We would get crushed.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
my goodness that was stressful

Legend
Legend
Urban looks like he's in literal pain

A
Legend
Legend
A
J/c

What an awesome game!!! If it had been, like, a national championship game. As it were, the Bucks didn't help themselves 1 iota.

Needing OT to beat a 5-5 team? Getting slashed on the ground?

Next week could very well be embarrassing.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
J/c

What an awesome game!!! If it had been, like, a national championship game. As it were, the Bucks didn't help themselves 1 iota.

Needing OT to beat a 5-5 team? Getting slashed on the ground?

Next week could very well be embarrassing.

Its Ohio State Xichigan anything can Happen ... Shootout next Saturday in the Horseshoe at High Noon ... Go Buckeyes Beat TTUN

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Can’t be happy with this win I wouldn’t think. Ohio state has a huge issue on defense

Yes they do but its hard for any defense to stop Ohio States offense ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wasn't surprised Maryland went for 2 Canada had a chance at a HUGE upset and I think I would have went also ...

Legend
Legend
Like I said last year about us: "No lead is safe with this secondary." Probably the ugliest OSU win I have ever watched, and we were lucky to win it, even to get to overtime. I like going for two. Hats off to Maryland. They shamed us on their lucky day.

Should be an interesting week at practice this week, I think.

Can't say I am anxious to see more of the same next week.

Go (anyhow), Buckeyes.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State/CFB continued

Link Copied to Clipboard