Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CalDawg #1555914 11/27/18 06:48 PM
Legend
Legend
So speaking of team growth... Over the last 3 weeks, since the coaching change, we have scored:

Chiefs - 21
Falcons - 28
Bengals - 35

Texans - 42?

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1555917 11/27/18 06:52 PM
Legend
Legend
That 42 should be enough. Let's go with that.

Our improved scoring output must be playing hob with the over/under bets. I feel so much better watching the game knowing we have some legitimate chance of some offensive output.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1555926 11/27/18 07:14 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Let's get something straight. Show me in archives were this passion is you speak of is?

Show me one time where I have said anything other than Hue deserves a chance with a real team. Never did I say Hue was anything. I never called him a good coach or a bad coach. Never.

So prove otherwise.

Check Baker's numbers game by game. Quarterback rating or any numbers for that matter. If you don't see the improvement maybe look again.

I have given the current coaches credit for game plan and adjustments. I like what they are doing. And have stated that. "As well as good game planning and play calling."
=========================================================

"Maybe when you get something right that you can regain your bragging rights."
==========================================

I don't brag. I write what I think.
=============================================

PFFFF, we had to take your crap for 2 years, enough is enough.

Do yourself a favor don't read anything I write.
========================================================

I will refrain from personal attacks. I don't post to get into that kind of exchange.

You want to go there go ahead. I get enough feedback from people on this Board in PM's and football talk that seem to like what I have to say.

I don't need a thing from you. You have proven what little you know every time you post.

I don't know why you bother to read his dribble. He states crap like Mayfield having a weak arm and being inaccurate as if it is fact, when he is the only person on the planet that thinks that. He is a troll who is a waste of time reading.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
DCDAWGFAN #1555944 11/27/18 08:19 PM
Legend
Legend
J/C .... in the last 3 games, Baker has thrown 9 TD passes, and 1 INT .... while only being sacked twice in those 3 games.

Prior to the change, Baker threw 8 TD and 6 INT. Different opponents, yes, but coaching matters too.

Nick Chubb has 663 yards and 6 TD rushing for the season. 345 yards and 3 of those TDs have come in the last 3 games. He has 9 catches and 2 TD on the season. 7 of those, and both TDs have come in the past 3 games. Coaching matters.

Duke Johnson has 3 TD catches. All of them have come in the past 3 games.

When we look at the execution of the offense .... the way things are moving much more smoothly ..... fewer penalties .... way fewer drops .... it's obvious that coaching matters. Mental mistakes are way down. Coaching matters.

Williams and Kitchens have done a fantastic job with the team. They took a rather ragtag offensive unit, running plays they were ill suited to run ..... and turned them into a much more effective unit. Scoring is up ... and yes, it is against some lesser defenses .... but it is up significantly .... and we really called off the dogs late in the game against the Bengals. I think we could have put 50 on them if we hadn't. I understand why we did what we did, but we absolutely and completely dominated that game.

This was a team that had won what .....(?) 6 or 7 in a row against us?

The defense has suffered injuries, and they are still struggling in some aspects, but Avery and Vallejo have really stepped up big. How many CB have we gone through? Peppers appears to finally have the light coming on.

There is a ton of great stuff going on right now with this team. We still need some pieces .... but man, there is a ton to be excited about right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Your right. But he called me out with a load of crap and I could not let it fly.

bonefish #1556809 11/29/18 11:52 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Had to put this video of this absolute DIME somewhere.

Hamfist #1556827 11/29/18 12:15 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Not necessarily a response to you exclusively, but a general response to a phrase you used.

“dink and dunk crap”

Short, accurate passes that open running space for backs and receivers are a very, very effective tool for ANY offense to be able to use.

Ham...I would like to just bring to your attention DINK n DUNK crap...is the exact game plan that was put in for.... TYRUD TAYLOR. A QB with a pittance of Arm talent that Baker has.

We would have 3rd and 8 and they would dial up 3 yard routes just like the ones that they had dialed up for TT. Meanwhile the difference of the play calling with Kitchens is so so vivid. We actually throw 10-15 yard routes no on down to gain as 3rd and 8!

This possession dink and dunk stuff brings all the D in tighter and tighter also having so many close to the box. There was no Vertical Stretch. And that doesn't have to mean throwing Bombs.

When Baker took over they (Hue/Haley) decided to play with no trust in the rookie QB. They were determined to not let the ROOKIE "LOSE" games instead of letting him loose and "WIN" games.

So I can see your opinion in a well executed West Coast Offense. Its just we have a pretty special QB who can hit accurately routes all over the field and we can spread them out horizontally and vertically creating so much space with this QB and instead we chose (without a better term) to Dink and Dunk it.

As was brought up by a poster here. Since the Change...not of QB but of Offensive Philosophy one geared for the very talented QB of ours. 9 TDs, 1 INT and 2 Sacks...Increase in the production of our rookie RB to a great degree. Throwing 5 TD passes to our RBs in 3 games. Posted or tweeted - 10/10 100% of RED ZONE success in our 3 games under the new PHILOSOPHY.

I cannot believe these MORONS were utilizing the same Game Plans that they had in place from day one as they went ALL IN with TT and to the extent totally IGNORED our Overall #1 pick. So they tried to force a Thoroughbred Race horse to be harnessed and entered in a TROTTER environment pulling back on the reigns preventing him from Running Free and kicking everyones butt!

Ergo dink and dunk as a negative for us. wink
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
CalDawg #1559288 12/02/18 08:36 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Team Growth this week is hard to see but it's there.

The O-line allowing no sacks.

The D-line getting to, and containing (for the most part), a physical, mobile QB.

Not quitting in the second half.

Leadership by the QB when the ball was stripped from Callaway.

I think a loss like this will help the young team learn and grow. And execute better down the road.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1559319 12/02/18 10:29 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Team Growth this week is hard to see but it's there.

The O-line allowing no sacks.

The D-line getting to, and containing (for the most part), a physical, mobile QB.

Not quitting in the second half.

Leadership by the QB when the ball was stripped from Callaway.

I think a loss like this will help the young team learn and grow. And execute better down the road.

They didn't contain him

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Not completely, but he wasn't running all over us either.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1559343 12/03/18 12:02 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
You can't grow without adversity.

Need to learn to play with the big boys.

Not to say we only beat creampuffs. Some of the opponents we beat are pretty tough.

But sometimes you have to get schooled to know what needs working on.

I'm not gonna say I'm glad we lost today. I'm gonna say I'm glad they got a taste of what they will need to beat when we get to the playoffs.

This year isn't our year for playoffs. But we have a tough schedule, so it will all provide valuable experience for next year. wink

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1559352 12/03/18 01:02 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. rofl

Team Laser

bonefish #1559389 12/03/18 07:14 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Let's get something straight. Show me in archives were this passion is you speak of is?

Show me one time where I have said anything other than Hue deserves a chance with a real team. Never did I say Hue was anything. I never called him a good coach or a bad coach. Never.

So prove otherwise.

Check Baker's numbers game by game. Quarterback rating or any numbers for that matter. If you don't see the improvement maybe look again.

I have given the current coaches credit for game plan and adjustments. I like what they are doing. And have stated that. "As well as good game planning and play calling."
=========================================================

"Maybe when you get something right that you can regain your bragging rights."
==========================================

I don't brag. I write what I think.

PFFFF, we had to take your crap for 2 years, enough is enough.

Do yourself a favor don't read anything I write.
========================================================

I will refrain from personal attacks. I don't post to get into that kind of exchange.

You want to go there go ahead. I get enough feedback from people on this Board in PM's and football talk that seem to like what I have to say.

I don't need a thing from you. You have proven what little you know every time you post.

Man up dude, you supported Hue, now eat the crow.

The Hue deserves a chance was an aberration, the guy was never a good coach.

And then you come up and criticize Haley.. which clearly knew what he was doing.

Man up and cut the crap. YOU WERE WRONG in many things, so get off the high horse and take a humility bath.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
"I don't know why you bother to read his dribble. He states crap like Mayfield having a weak arm and being inaccurate as if it is fact, when he is the only person on the planet that thinks that. He is a troll who is a waste of time reading."^

Is this your second account, or the same old gang up mentality.

You have reading comprehension problems, I never said Mayfield had a weak arm, I say he does not have arm talent, which is a complete different thing.

I don't think Mayfield arm is on the top 10-15 of the NFL, its also clear that he struggles with some throws, which is natural.

The kid is still developing, he's doing a good job with ups and downs, has showed many good things but also many things where he has to work.

And yes Baker Mayfield is inaccurate out of the pocket, I don't think this is even questionable.

I admit the Kid is growing on me, specially after what he did to HUE

CalDawg #1559437 12/03/18 10:41 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c - didn't want to start a new thread and my comments fit just fine right here:

This team has shown growth from the beginning of the year...no question about that. I've read comments all over the place where people make comments about what we "need" at this point...but they rarely break it down. I think we need a penetrating DT and two new linebackers...after that a WR and CB...then a DE and maybe/probably an OT...

DT

I like Ogunjobi a lot...remember that he's in just his 2nd year. I like Price, Coley and will probably like Davis as rotational guys...but we need a penetrator inside. All of these guys are young, young young...but other than Ogunjobi, I don't see penetrators. The draft is very deep at DT/DE.

LB

We have ONE good starter (Shobert)...ONE good backup (Vallejo)...and ONE guy who looks like he could be a starter but is most certainly a keeper (Avery)...with two other guys making waaaaaay too much money for what they bring to the table. Give Shobert that penetrating DT and see what happens. Avery may be one of the two LBs I think we need...but we need a stud LB who can rush, cover and stop the run. Draft or FA or both...I don't care.

WR

I am becoming very conflicted here. We have the perfect combo of Landry & Higgins (both young guys) for the underneath, wide, intermediate and chain-moving roles...they simply get open (or Baker-open) and catch the ball. Calloway is showing what Dorsey saw in him...a year out of football and rusty to start...his play yesterday against a tough defense was impressive. He's not likely to be a prototypical #1 stud for awhile - if ever - but I think he's going to be really good. We would be hard-pressed to find a better 4th receiver than Perriman - who is also crazy young.

I am conflicted because I don't want to burn a bunch of high draft picks on a trade for a "#1 WR" when we have four #2/#3 guys already. But...yes...I'd love to see Baker throw to a guy like Hopkins or AJ Green. BUT...I also don't want to just wait on our newly drafted WR in April 2019 to develop into a stud.

CB

I'm less conflicted at CB...but probably because there is a reason why the saying "You can never have enough CBs" exists. Ward is a STUD...Mitchell was very good before he got hurt...Carrie has been just 'ok' and overpaid...Gaines is a good backup. We need another good one here...but I think less -so than the DT and LB listed above.

OT

I think we need help at DE and OT but not like we need at the other spots mentioned thus far. We presently have two new starters at T (both young) and a developmental guy as a backup. I don't know how many T's a team really needs...but...all three of the new guys are new to the scheme they learned in TC and even newer to the scheme we apparently implemented a few weeks ago. It is reasonable to believe that the upward trend will continue.

DE

Look...we have solid rotational guys in Zettel and Smith...we could probably use another one and I have no clue what is the deal with Chad Thomas...maybe he's that other guy. I think the only way we put a 'priority' on DE is if we cut bait with Coley/Davis and plan to move Ogbah inside more-often.

We aren't a playoff team just yet...but we are very close. The growth from the youth on this team is impressive and finally having that FQB is huge. This is going to get interesting.

WSU Willie #1559463 12/03/18 12:05 PM
Legend
Legend
We were talking yesterday at our get together, and the one big thing that Houston has that we don't, is team speed.

We desperately need speed at DE or DT, OLB, CB, and WR.

IMHO, the OL, while not perfect, does appear to be gelling ..... and Baker is capable of feeling pressure, and moving in and out of the pocket effectively.

I think that we are capable of adding what we need this off-season, and taking the next step.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We could never have filled all our holes in one draft and FA period. If we continue to mature and progress from here and with one more good draft and FA period we could contend for a playoff spot in "19.

WSU Willie #1559500 12/03/18 01:03 PM
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c - didn't want to start a new thread and my comments fit just fine right here:

This team has shown growth from the beginning of the year...no question about that. I've read comments all over the place where people make comments about what we "need" at this point...but they rarely break it down. I think we need a penetrating DT and two new linebackers...after that a WR and CB...then a DE and maybe/probably an OT...

DT

I like Ogunjobi a lot...remember that he's in just his 2nd year. I like Price, Coley and will probably like Davis as rotational guys...but we need a penetrator inside. All of these guys are young, young young...but other than Ogunjobi, I don't see penetrators. The draft is very deep at DT/DE.

LB

We have ONE good starter (Shobert)...ONE good backup (Vallejo)...and ONE guy who looks like he could be a starter but is most certainly a keeper (Avery)...with two other guys making waaaaaay too much money for what they bring to the table. Give Shobert that penetrating DT and see what happens. Avery may be one of the two LBs I think we need...but we need a stud LB who can rush, cover and stop the run. Draft or FA or both...I don't care.

WR

I am becoming very conflicted here. We have the perfect combo of Landry & Higgins (both young guys) for the underneath, wide, intermediate and chain-moving roles...they simply get open (or Baker-open) and catch the ball. Calloway is showing what Dorsey saw in him...a year out of football and rusty to start...his play yesterday against a tough defense was impressive. He's not likely to be a prototypical #1 stud for awhile - if ever - but I think he's going to be really good. We would be hard-pressed to find a better 4th receiver than Perriman - who is also crazy young.

I am conflicted because I don't want to burn a bunch of high draft picks on a trade for a "#1 WR" when we have four #2/#3 guys already. But...yes...I'd love to see Baker throw to a guy like Hopkins or AJ Green. BUT...I also don't want to just wait on our newly drafted WR in April 2019 to develop into a stud.

CB

I'm less conflicted at CB...but probably because there is a reason why the saying "You can never have enough CBs" exists. Ward is a STUD...Mitchell was very good before he got hurt...Carrie has been just 'ok' and overpaid...Gaines is a good backup. We need another good one here...but I think less -so than the DT and LB listed above.

OT

I think we need help at DE and OT but not like we need at the other spots mentioned thus far. We presently have two new starters at T (both young) and a developmental guy as a backup. I don't know how many T's a team really needs...but...all three of the new guys are new to the scheme they learned in TC and even newer to the scheme we apparently implemented a few weeks ago. It is reasonable to believe that the upward trend will continue.

DE

Look...we have solid rotational guys in Zettel and Smith...we could probably use another one and I have no clue what is the deal with Chad Thomas...maybe he's that other guy. I think the only way we put a 'priority' on DE is if we cut bait with Coley/Davis and plan to move Ogbah inside more-often.

We aren't a playoff team just yet...but we are very close. The growth from the youth on this team is impressive and finally having that FQB is huge. This is going to get interesting.

Great post Willie...I think you nailed it.

I totally agree with your opinion of what we need...

I get sooo frustrated with people on here thinking our defense is good... Teams run on us at will and it makes me want to put my fist through the coffee table every Sunday... I think our secondary is going to be fine, especially if Mitchell is who he has been the first few games

We need 3 front 7 players in a bad way...Schobert is the only LB I'd keep and he is limited athletically... I'd spend at least our first two draft picks on the front 7.

Yes we absolutely need a penetrating DT... We are not able to make the opposing RB change his path from the designed play and have you seen us try to defend sweeps/jet sweeps ? My god...

WR is not nearly the priority if our goal is to actually win games soon.... Sure a #1 WR would be great but won't help us win as quickly as front 7 players... My god

WSU Willie #1559510 12/03/18 01:13 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Pass rushing DT is the #1 need, IMO. a smart, fast, thumper OLB is #2. For me it's a toss up between CB & #1 WR as #3 need. I might lean toward CB. I want to say we need a #1 WR, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Callaway. Perriman and Higgins can fight it out for # 2, I want to see Landry in the slot. But if we found a big,( 6'2"+) strong, fast WR, I wouldn't bitch. OT, sure, maybe, but I'm not complaining about our OL right now. Overall, just keep adding talent. I'm stoked for next year. Hope we get the coach decision right.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1560217 12/05/18 09:57 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I didn't want to start a new thread previously and now I don't want to post in a draft forum...yet. But thought this might be interesting and fits here. I allowed myself to read a 2019 mock draft (Matt Miller) last night for the first time this season. It felt weird not doing that until December. rofl

Anyway...the mock has us picking 11th right behind GB and two spots in front of the Bungles (which will likely change). It went like this:

DL/EDGE, DL, DL/EDGE, DL, CB, DL/EDGE, QB, CB, QB, DL/EDGE, US, QB, Bungles (LB), DL, WR

I think our pick will get further from the start as the season progresses but will say this about that mock.

(4) DL/EDGE guys went before our pick;
(2) DL;
(2) CB;
and (2) QBs and jimmy crack corn about that position.naughtydevil

So...in that mock, the top four edge guys, top two DL and top two CB are gone before our pick...and that mock has us taking OL from Alabama and the Bungles taking LB from LSU. At our presently-mocked pick, we could take the 5th best EDGE, 3rd best DL, 3rd best CB or the #1 OL/LB/WR. Let that sink in for a minute. I also expect that we win enough games to move a few spots back.

So...we have a dilemma folks...and it might get worse as we win and posers like Miami, Cincy, Tampa Bay, Washington move up and only Indy moves back with us. Like most years, the BPA discussion is fraught with 'yeah-buts'...and this year will be no different. Can you justify taking the 5th best EDGE or 3rd best DL or 3rd best CB over the BEST LB or WR or OT? You certainly CAN depending on the talent...but it's likely not going to be easy.

I don't think that our #1 pick in 2019 will garner many desperate suitors...but looking at that mock, I'm much more willing to part with that pick in a trade to upgrade a roster spot than I was a month ago. We are destined to get a complimentary player (meaning not a starter) with our first pick unless our #1 pick comes up with the #1 WR/OT/LB on the board. I also do think that that mock makes our foray into FA even more important.

Something to ponder as we get closer to the end of the season.

WSU Willie #1560240 12/05/18 11:27 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think it is the perfect year for taking BPA (except QB) with whatever pick we end up with.

WSU Willie #1560243 12/05/18 11:35 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m not ready yet ...

I am soooo looking forward to each and every game the rest of the way ...

U know Willie ... i thought we could be in trouble on sunday ... yet i was still looking forward to the game ....

Game starts and it was like the last 3 years all over again ... we can do nuttin on O and can’t stop them from moving the ball .. YET i couldnt wait for the 2nd half ... i was bummed but not sick to my stomach or dejected ... just bummed YET somehow still excited for the 2nd half ..

i still couldnt wait for the 2nd half .. i wanted to se what adjustments Fred would make and to see how Bake reponded to his abysmal first half ...

COULDNT WAIT even though the first half was hard to watch ...

Once again dawg ... it was DIFFERENT ... and then what was really really different ... both questions were answered with a RESONDING YES ..

That made it GOOD DIFFERENT!!!! .... thumbsup

WSU Willie #1560260 12/05/18 12:32 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I brought that up in another thread where people said that DL was deep and that position would probably be our pick. The question becomes is the 4th to 6th best DL in the draft going to be as good as the 1st ranked player at other positions? It's not going to be as simple as some think.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
WSU Willie #1560287 12/05/18 01:13 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's difficult to say who is who in terms of rankings at that mid-level where we'll be picking. Sort of eye of the beholder type thing. Bosa may be the clear #1 player for example, but the third ranked DL could actually turn out to be a top guy, or the guy Dorsey & Coach have their eye on. At this point, I feel very comfortable with Dorsey making the picks. Not that he can't or won't make mistakes, but he really does a deep dive and seems to know what he's doing when evaluating talent. I'm guessing he may go LB, DL, CB with that first round pick. I would think he sees those positions as high value as opposed to say WR or OL based on our needs and considering this draft class. But that is only my guess.

I saw this mock yesterday that I found interesting:

Round 1: Devin White, LB, LSU
Round 2: Collin Johnson, WR, Texas
Round 3: Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia
Round 3 (from New England): Isaiah Buggs, DT, Alabama
Round 4: Joe Gaziano, DE, Northwestern
Round 5 (via Jacksonville): Khalil Hodge, LB, Buffalo
Round 5, Pick 2: Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State
Round 5, Pick 3 (via New England): Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
Round 6: Tommy Sweeney, TE, Boston College
Round 7 (via Pittsburgh): Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky

I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but I found it interesting in both the positions chosen and order they were picked, (not necessarily because of the players picked). Also is the fact that we could be adding 8 players in the first five rounds. Of course there could be trades, etc. but between the draft and free agency we should have a very good influx of talent. Something I think Dorsey excels at, and something that will definitely help team growth.

I'm with Diam in that I don't want to look too far ahead, as I am really enjoying this season. But man, next season, with a year under Baker's belt and the influx of talent, has the possibility of being something special.

#gmstrong
Hammer #1560319 12/05/18 02:01 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Hammer
I think it is the perfect year for taking BPA (except QB) with whatever pick we end up with.

What if the BPA is a G, C, SS or FS?

WSU Willie #1560334 12/05/18 02:28 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Tying back in the "Team Growth" theme here. Let's get a drink from Diam on the Island and say this:

Corbett becomes a great backup at G/C and maybe even a starter and we keep all current Gs & Cs (Could really happen);

Chad Thomas becomes Ogbah Lite and looks like a decent rotational guy (Who knows if this can really happen);

Callaway keeps improving and Perriman keeps looking like he's looked (Could really happen);

Robinson keeps improving and Harrison gets stronger and coached up (Who knows if this can really happen);

We get rid of Collins and his contract and try to re-structure or punt on Kirksey (Could happen....those are both awful contracts compared to value.)

Let's say Coley and Price become starter-level DTs (That's not happening);

Where are we most at risk? Where do we not even have a promising or existing young guy who might/maybe/could develop? I won't answer because my analysis is biased...however...that is why I've posted what I have posted in this thread.

WSU Willie #1560353 12/05/18 02:57 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Those are all good questions/suppositions but one overriding factor is that the free agent signing period begins March 13th at 4:00 P.M.

Regardless of how our players develop and who is retained or lost, a lot of the pre draft answers will be looked at during free agency. Come draft day, the scenarios may be quite different.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
WSU Willie #1560357 12/05/18 03:04 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Hammer

What if the BPA is a G, C, SS or FS?

Then you trade back a little til where you think the BPA will also fill a role you need.

WSU Willie #1560435 12/05/18 05:57 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I agree with Pit, the entire complexion of needs will probably change by the draft. Dorsey seems to have a penchant for filling all the holes in FA, then letting the draft fall where it may. I still think the value pick in the first round will be LB, DL or CB, depending on who on his board is sitting there when we pick. But who knows? If I've learned anything it's that I know nothing about who we'll select in the draft.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1560567 12/06/18 09:37 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No doubt that FA will help shape the draft. What I'm somewhat driving at though is that the team growth - finally - will impact the draft and FA.

There is no reason why Callaway and Perriman cannot continue to improve and grow. Willies showed some flash...Louis has a year off to find his hands. If they continue to improve / develop, the need at WR changes. I think Baker is the kind of QB that makes a WR's life much easier...dare I say he "makes them better".

There is no reason why Corbett cannot develop...there is wonder if Harrison can develop.

We don't have a guy to even develop at LB and if we have a guy to develop along the DL, I don't know who that guy is...maybe Price or Davis.

You always need more/better CBs.

But for the first time in forever, we appear to have a nice foundation that allows other players to grow into their roles and improves our attractive-ness to free agents. I think Dorsey will look to free agency to gain him flexibility in the draft. But we have some glaring needs where we won't have any team growth to help fill the void...and a couple spots where we just might have something to work with.

WSU Willie #1560587 12/06/18 10:49 AM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I get what you're saying. We're almost at a point where we can draft BPA simply to add talent and upgrade the roster. By the end of the season and after the FA period, that may absolutely be the case. Dorsey and to a degree Sashi did a good job helping us catch up to the rest of the league talent-wise. We went from an abysmal roster to a respectable roster in just a few years. Next year we should actually have a very good roster that includes a franchise QB. It's been a long, long time coming. Dorsey must get the HC hire right.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1560615 12/06/18 11:50 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree. I didn't want to totally derail the thread topic, but the team growth is different than it's been in awhile and will change how we look-at/approach the off-season.

Early on, Callaway looked to be JAG with a long way to go...he still has a ways to go, but you can easily see why Dorsey took a a shot on him. He has absolutely grown since the beginning of the year.

Perriman and Robinson as young vets have also definitely improved since they've been here. Sometimes a change of scenery gets a guy going...why not here?

Peppers went from looking like a bust (unfair as it was) to looking like a pretty good SS.

I should have mentioned Avery as a LB to develop...he's another excellent pick who will be no worse than a very good situational pass rusher. He's probably being asked to do too much right now...but that will pay dividends later. I notice Vallejo pretty regularly and he looks athletic and aggressive...if not also being asked to do too much right now.

Bake is the straw that stirs the drink now...his growth has been incredible.

Even the kicker has grown.

WSU Willie #1560739 12/06/18 02:50 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You didn't derail anything. All your points were right on. And the draft is certainly part of the growth process, particularly when we have a stable of talent to build on.

Callaway's issues, IMO, were experience, focus, and chemistry. He seems to be doing very well on all those fronts. Those bombs he caught Sunday were explosive and so fun to watch. Even with the BS holding call and the strip. There were very clear glimpses of what our future holds.

I'm very impressed with the turnaround of both Perriman & Robinson. I though Perriman would be a complete bust and Robinson on his last stop on his way out the door. It's amazing how they've performed in their new environment. I think that says an awful lot about the locker room, and the character of the players and coaches around them.

I thought all Peppers needed was time, and more talent around him, and that seems to be the case. He's a thumper. Even his returns are looking better.

Avery is flashing, but he's raw, it'll be fun watching him grow the next few years. He's a blast to watch going after the QB.

When Baker had his three INTs against Texas, it was almost a relief...lol. Like waiting for the other shoe to drop. But knowing he would grow from that experience never shook my confidence. Watching his performance in the second half was something special. I get the impression he will not rest until he has the ability to dissect every team in the league, and then surgically carve them up. It's amazing to me to see him perform at such a high level his first year.

lol, The kicker has definitely settled in. I'm not white knuckling it every time he tries an extra point now.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1563590 12/09/18 06:06 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We obviously saw some growth today.

Baker looked really good, threw some amazing passes. Hard to believe he's a rookie with only a partial season under his belt.

Chemistry with the WRs is improving weekly.

We got an important win against a good team playing for their playoff hopes. Good win.

We didn't crumble when things got tough, (turnovers, missed extra point, penalties). Those things could have completely derailed the game in previous seasons.

Took a step back in terms of penalties and tackling.

But, the D stepped up and got stops and closed out the game when it was needed. That is huge.

Garrett seems to be improving every week, becoming crafty in his approach to how he works the tackle.

The O stuck with the run, and it eventually paid off, Chub got a couple very good runs in, and Landry had a beautiful run. Those WR runs really worked well for us today.

There were some play calls I didn't like, but I'm not going to bitch, they have to call what they think is right. What I will say, the play calling has been interesting and innovative, if not always effective. That type of play calling is almost unrecognizable. Good to see us execute as well. Opening with the deep ball early in the first drive, and completing it sends a big message: We came to play and are here to stay.

The league has officially been put on notice. If you play us, you better bring your lunch because it will be an all day affair.

The beaten Browns fan in me was sure we'd lose by one, but that didn't happen and we closed out in superb fashion. Go Browns!

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1568202 12/16/18 01:21 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, we've taken another step forward this week.

Winning in Mile High and beating the Donks for the first time in 28 years.

Getting a team win.

Leaning on a strong D performance when our QB has a game where he struggles and pulling out the win.

Team accountability.

Overcoming poor refereeing. The bad spot, two uncalled face mask penalties, a ticky-tack unsportsmanlike call. (Though Perriman should've kept his cool and walked away clapping his hands the minute he saw the yellow flag. That would've been a 1st down instead of 3rd & 14. Dumb mistake I'm sure GW will address.)

Because now there is discipline. I'm sure the penalties in general will be a topic of discussion on Monday.

We're also seeing very good communication on the sidelines.

We have our QB elevating the play of others.

The team is playing for each other.

Winning is more important than individual stats.

These are just a few things that show recent team growth. What have you noticed?

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1568228 12/16/18 01:50 PM
Legend
Legend
last night was a big step IMO ... on the road, didn't play very well on O, but still managed a W

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
CalDawg #1568238 12/16/18 01:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Don't overlook your first sig quote: Dorsey's "Don't pass on real players." There is his focus, his priority, his goal for growing our product. With our improved base and flushed coaches, we can pound more resources into needed player positions with Dorsey birddogging "real" players. I think we can do more with more; some teams waste momentum picks.

That quote says a lot about an ongoing focus for quality roster through the draft and FA IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
CalDawg #1568258 12/16/18 02:32 PM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
(Though Perriman should've kept his cool and walked away clapping his hands the minute he saw the yellow flag. That would've been a 1st down instead of 3rd & 14. Dumb mistake I'm sure GW will address.)

Sorry, wrong player. It was Callaway that overreacted.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1568473 12/16/18 08:47 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
(Though Perriman should've kept his cool and walked away clapping his hands the minute he saw the yellow flag. That would've been a 1st down instead of 3rd & 14. Dumb mistake I'm sure GW will address.)

And, because the penalty was after the play, the result of the play was 1st and 10, just from further back.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Quote:

And, because the penalty was after the play, the result of the play was 1st and 10, just from further back.

The penalties were offsetting, they replayed the down. (3rd & 14)

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Team Growth

Link Copied to Clipboard