Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
cfrs15 #1516702 09/25/18 05:58 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
He ain’t perfect ... dumb ass let the ball to get his chest ... not sure he ever gave the

VICE GRIPS a chance .... *L* ....

That was the 3rd drop i can remember ... not sure whats going on ... he barley dropped that many the last two years combined ...

Also not happy with his tude ... he’s gonna get us some 15 yarder this year ... not just one ...

His tude is GREAT in so many ways ... he’s got us 30 yards so far getting under others skin ... thats good ... problem is he could have been penalized for kicking at dude in the Jets game ... he’s come close a few other times ...

But .. end of the day ...

I LOVE ME SOME VICE GRIPS ...

The man can ball ... and u haven’t really even seen his run after catch .... hes not fast or strong .... but man is he quick and stronger than he looks ... he’s gonna break tackles and worm and squirm his way for 2 - 5 exte yards every reception .. he has an uncanny ability to get to the first down marker no matter how many defenders stand in his way ... if i have to use one word to describe him it would ....

DETERMINED ...

Nuttin’s standing in his way ...

I think its very fitting that the play that i think defined that night is the above pass to VICE GRIPS ...

If Bake’s any good ... the futures bright Dawg ... thumbsup

cfrs15 #1516712 09/25/18 06:43 PM
Legend
Legend
I've said it before, but it might actually be a good thing that Baker had to play with the 2nd team so much ... develop that chemistry with Higgins, Willies, Chubb, etc

Then add Landry/Njoku/Hyde to the mix

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1556373 11/28/18 05:00 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So... Where are we on this now?

Are people still holding out hope on him, or do I get to say I told ya so?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...dry#Post1417433

For what we gave up for Landry he was a good value. The contract? Not looking great. Luckily it's essentially a two year deal.

On the other hand, if Landry can get his friend to come play with him, it will all be worth it.

(The above speculation is the pipiest of all pipe dreams.)

cfrs15 #1556401 11/28/18 05:37 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't know about pipiest cfrs, after seeing Baker in action, I bet FA number 1 WRs will be trying to get here. If I was a WR, I couldn't imagine a better place to go IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I don't know about pipiest cfrs, after seeing Baker in action, I bet FA number 1 WRs will be trying to get here. If I was a WR, I couldn't imagine a better place to go IMHO.

Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Colts, Chargers.

cfrs15 #1556420 11/28/18 05:55 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
They starving for a Number 1?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

OBJ is the #1 wherever he goes. My only point was that we are not at the spot yet where big time guys want to come.

cfrs15 #1556430 11/28/18 06:07 PM
2nd String
2nd String
there is also Cooks, Diggs, Tate, Fitzgerald and a slew of Big 12 pass happy sticky hands receivers that can probably be picked up in lower rounds.

cfrs15 #1556435 11/28/18 06:13 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

OBJ is the #1 wherever he goes. My only point was that we are not at the spot yet where big time guys want to come.

I think OBJ will want to come here. That doesn't mean Dorsey will sign him.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

I think OBJ will want to come here. That doesn't mean Dorsey will sign him.

Well he already signed an extension with the Giants, so that's where the pipe dream comes in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think we're starting to see him being better utilized. I'll withhold judgement until we have a larger sample size.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1556443 11/28/18 06:26 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

I think we're starting to see him being better utilized. I'll withhold judgement until we have a larger sample size.

He's not even been on the field as much. He went from doing things he wasn't good at to doing very few things.

cfrs15 #1556448 11/28/18 06:29 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
forgot that...

CalDawg #1556449 11/28/18 06:30 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He is also the only consistent threat we have right now. As Calloway, Higgins, and Njoku become more consistent targets, Landry's opportunities will come. Right now teams are scheming against him.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
cfrs15 #1556453 11/28/18 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

He's not even been on the field as much. He went from doing things he wasn't good at to doing very few things.

His snap count has dropped off, but he used to be in almost 100% of the time, and it's not like someone else has taken up the slack. I think it has more to do with how he's being used, how all the WRs are being used, and the fact we're running more & using Chubb more. Landry still gets 60-70% of the snaps.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1556469 11/28/18 07:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Vice Grips didn’t forget how to play football ...

He’ll be just fine ...

That play in the Jets game ... it’ll come to be expected when its all said and done ... thumbsup

cfrs15 #1556537 11/28/18 10:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Never understood why Browns fans always want to get rid of our talent..

Makes no sense.

Whether he's worth the pay or not, he's a key piece to this offense. Very glad landry is on this team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Makes no sense.

Whether he's worth the pay or not, he's a key piece to this offense. Very glad landry is on this team.

I don't think anyone has said we should get rid of him. I said that we could out of his contract after next season if he doesn't live up to it.

cfrs15 #1556655 11/29/18 02:44 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Makes no sense.

I don't think anyone has said we should get rid of him. I said that we could out of his contract after next season if he doesn't live up to it.

Are we in such a bind, Cap wise, that we can not afford to keep an ALL PRO, RECORD BREAKING Wide Receiver on the team ? This is not Dwayne Bowe. We are talking about a young receiver who still catches the ball and is not on drugs! We still have more Cap Money than any team in the league. Use the money on TALENT. Landry is TALENT !

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Are we in such a bind

Not right now, but at some we are going to have to pay all these draft picks.

Cap wise, that we can not afford to keep an ALL PRO, RECORD BREAKING Wide Receiver on the team ?

Right now? Yes. A year from now? Probably. Two years from now? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Also, he's never been All-Pro and his record is stat padded because of the inept Ryan Tannehill

This is not Dwayne Bowe.

No one said he was.

We are talking about a young receiver who still catches the ball and is not on drugs!

Fair points.

We still have more Cap Money than any team in the league.

This is not true

Use the money on TALENT. Landry is TALENT !

Agreed. But overpaid is overpaid. We need to see Landry do more.

cfrs15 #1556663 11/29/18 05:31 AM
Legend
Legend
I've said this before, but one of the problems with having so many good young players: at some point they ALL have to be paid .. and that day comes sooner than you realize. I mean, after next year Garrett will want a BOAT LOAD of money. Ogbah will want less, but still a fair amount. So will Schobert. So will Chubb. BAKER. ETC.

Not saying to cut Jarvis, just looking at our cap situation honestly.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I've said this before, but one of the problems with having so many good young players: at some point they ALL have to be paid .. and that day comes sooner than you realize. I mean, after next year Garrett will want a BOAT LOAD of money. Ogbah will want less, but still a fair amount. So will Schobert. So will Chubb. BAKER. ETC.

Well, that's a sign that we are getting good. Good teams are bound to face cap problems

The trick is the ability to keep on spotting and developing talent.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Landry is in year 1 of a 5 year 75,500,000 dollar contract with $ 34,000,000 Guaranteed. The Salary cap charge for year 1 is $ 15,500,000. The full guarantee is made up of Landry's 2018 and 2019 base salaries, a $10.5 million 2018 roster bonus, and a $7.5 million signing bonus. $13 million of Landry's 2020 salary is guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the league year. The final two contract years have $750,000 per game bonuses and there are annual workout bonuses of $50,000 starting in 2019.

In other words .. the guarantee is front loaded. How about we wait and see how things go before starting a campaign to get the guy shipped off to help another team win a Super Bowl. With all the turmoil the offense has gone through this year, doesn't it make sense to have a receiver who catches the ball and WANTS TO BE HERE, not just collecting a paycheck.

https://overthecap.com/player/jarvis-landry/3002/

Last edited by Halfback32; 11/29/18 06:14 AM. Reason: added link

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just clicking.

We need a #1 WR, to take the top off, so that Landry will then be able to do what he does best, be a slot receiver.

Remember last year, when Peppers looked like crap because he was played out of position? This is similar. Though Landry looks better this year than Peppers did last year.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Landry is now playing roughly 60% of the 2018 snaps in the slot and has run a route on 94% of passing plays. He's #7 IN THE NFL in targets, #5 IN THE NFL in target market share, #2 IN THE NFL in red zone targets and yet in production has only:

630 yards and 2 TDs on 60 catches.

The problem is he is turrible with YAC at 2.6 per reception (#45 in the NFL). He equalled or surpassed 50 total receiving yards in only 2 of the last 5 games; 3 in the last 8. His reception total ranking among NFL recievers has dipped pretty significantly which could mean a myriad of different things.

He is overrated. He was paid like a #1 and is not a #1.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Overpaid maybe, over-rated, I don't think so. Most knew exactly what he was when he came here. He spent most of the the season being improperly utilized on the outside. He's certainly not a deep threat. Perhaps his high salary made them think he needed to play outside to justify that salary. What makes him worth the money, in my view, is his leadership and attitude. He is instrumental in changing perceptions in the locker room and probably directly responsible (at least in some way) for cutting the distractions and poor attitudes attributed to Coleman & Gordon. Fast forward to present day, He's being more properly utilized, particularly because of the emergence of Callaway, Perriman, and the return of Higgins, and because Kitchens seems to scheme to the talent he has. We should see good production from him the remainder of the season as he and Baker get on the same page and Kitchens finds more and more uses for his possession-type abilities. Bottom line, he's worth the money and we need him on this team. He's the heart and soul of that squad and has given the WR room (and possibly the entire offense, maybe even team) an attitude and work ethic that has been lacking for decades.

JMHO

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't understand the Landry bashing. It seems petty to me.

While I agree he may not be proving to be worth his contract, he's still a good player who's part of the solution, not the problem, IMO. His contract has not caused any issues to date. This conversation seems it would be relevant if and when his contract did cause issues.

Before the end of the season he will make a big catch or have a big game that helps us win. I'm good with that.

cfrs15 #1556714 11/29/18 09:27 AM
Legend
Legend
I really hadn't noticed, but his YAC is definitely bad. Not worth the contract for sure, but still a big part of what we need.

Rishuz #1556718 11/29/18 09:39 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
He's still a good player who's part of the solution, not the problem, IMO. His contract has not caused any issues to date.

"Good" is a relative term and, quite frankly, I'm not sure if he is part of the solution-- there really isn't anything to indicate that. You are correct in saying that his contract isn't causing any issues and may not next year either. It was a bad decision to throw that much money at him and like many people have suggested, Duke Johnson could easily be doing what we're asking Landry to do. He really could.

I think a poster accurately suggested we have been playing Landry wrong from the very beginning. I think we're starting to see the team play him more inside as a slot guy and I hope we continue to do that. I just don't think you pay players primarily dependant on being successful in the slot that amount of money, especially for what Landry does. On a macro level, and this has been an issue documented in the past, is Dorsey is a horrible money managment guy when it comes to personnel contracts. This looks like an early indication of that trend continuing. I hope we have someone in Berea that can corrale that.

Bottom line, I don't think he is that "good" and we could have identified people who were better, and cheaper, to do what Landry is doing for this team.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #1556749 11/29/18 10:40 AM
Legend
Legend
We'll see how he looks after a year w/Baker and w/a better WR on the outside

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really don't even know if he'll be here next year.

I also believe he won't be here the life of his contract.

He and Baker don't really mesh well because Baker isn't going to use him. Baker's game isn't to check down and throw it underneath where Landry lives. Baker's game is to go for the homerun. Now, someone is going to march in here and we better fix that, he can't do that. But he will.

Sure the money on Landry right now is not relevant because we have a lot of cap space... but that money would be far better served on a deep threat Baker can cozy up with.

Also, I don't think anyone is bashing Landry. He does decent for what he is... but that isn't going to translate into wins for the Browns. My point was that I made comments about Landry here and was laughed at and made fun of, even called deceitful, however as it is, I was right. Is it too early to make that call? Go ahead and say that if you like, but we already know....

cfrs15 #1556776 11/29/18 11:18 AM
Legend
Legend
I think he'll be here next year, but after that may not occur

cfrs15 #1556778 11/29/18 11:18 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Landry was one of, if not the, top WRs available in FA (I don't remember most of the other guys that got signed, so go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong).

You are going to overpay in FA. Let's say it again... You are going to overpay in FA.
That's just the nature of the beast. Further, you're not going to get a discount from vets when you're coming off an 0'fer season like we did.

You are going to overpay (for talent) in FA.

If you don't like overpaying for established talent, don't participate in FA (or just sign kickers and long-snappers).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
He wasn't a FA, for the record.

But speaking of FA, you're right. You always overpay for FA, which is why I don't advocate teams playing a significant role in FA.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #1556785 11/29/18 11:25 AM
Legend
Legend
He's not going ANYWHERE, yet.
He will be here and deserves to be.

No, his numbers are not video game like and no, he is not going to get his 100-catch average this year, BUT he is solid, reliable, and one helluva example of how to be a professional WR. He runs great routes, has great hands, has a phenomenal work ethic, and a fantastic attitude in addition to being a solid player on the field.

Furthermore, if you are evaluating him by only looking at the numbers on paper and not by looking at how he plays in games, you are missing EVERYTHING. Dude leaves it all out there and FIGHTS for YAC. HARD.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

cfrs15 #1556786 11/29/18 11:26 AM
Legend
Legend
Miami knew it couldnt afford him and got a 4th rounder for him. One point not making: take him off the field, does Baker still have the numbers he does right now? I don't know

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Miami knew it couldnt afford him and got a 4th rounder for him.

Or Miami didn't want to pay him and got a 4th rounder for him.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #1556806 11/29/18 11:52 AM
Legend
Legend
true

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...I will admit I was a little disappointed in his play once Baker took over. He seemed much less of a force than Higgins was. Then I realized that our Brain Trust of Hue/Haley, you know the two guys who Dorsey kicked out of here. They chose to not have Landry and Baker throw any passes or work together. Meanwhile in the onset he worked a lot with Higgins and actually so much so that Higgins was promoted to the upper echelon of our WR crew.

Now that we are primarily working in game plans for each week the time has passed (training camp and preseason) for that kismet between WR and QB has passed. Its so obvious as I mentioned Higgins a 5th round draft pick looks better than the ALL PRO Landry does with our Rookie QB Baker. No wonder those two nitwits are gone. Man dumbest thing I've seen in my history of football. Not letting the Overall #1 pick work with any of the ones...AT ALL usually you will see the #2 QB get 20% of the reps. But all Baker got was Scout team reps.

Not liking Hue and the job he did here more and more. Quite frankly I don't even think he was on board for the drafting of Baker. He went along with Dorsey to keep his job.

jmho In a good off season with each other working out together I think they will become an excellent tandem. Heck he looked pretty good with TT throwing him the ball and he could not throw a pass over 10 yards.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard