Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Im not sure it will be him, but i'm intrigued by Sirianni as well.

Both Colts coordinators are intriguing - Sirianni on offense and Eberflus on defense. Though I don't know enough about either to through support behind them.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Im not going to pretend I know all the candidates and I go back and forth on some of the names and what I hear... but if the choice is mine... I'm taking McDaniels as my HC.

I think if the weird stuff with the Colts didn’t happen, he’s the obvious choice. But it did happen and now he’s not even going to get an interview.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Dayum, the Williams love has vanished. I'd still like to keep things intact, but I'm slowly warming up to McDaniels or Campbell.

If it was me I'd still choose Williams and keep him and Kitchens in tact ... but the time this is taking and the number of candidates they are interviewing - just makes it seem like it's not GW. Don't know that posters have changed their opinions or just assuming it's not GW.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I want the coaching staff to remain the same. I am doubting more as time goes on that it will.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see McDaniels fitting well with Baker. I think he's a good coach, but don't think their personalities mesh. Though, I guess he and Brady have shouting matches on the sideline and it works out okay there.

I'd be okay with Campbell, but not ecstatic about it. I need to watch some of those Miami games when he was the interim. "They" talked up a week 17 win over New England, but Vollmer and Chandler Jones were hurt and LaFell and Martin were Brady's starting receivers. I'm watching it now. Landry should have good insight on him. If he kept Kitchens, I'd be more amenable. I'd be curious which direction he'd go at the coordinators. I'm not that tied to Williams as DC. I kind of like him better as HC than DC.

What do you think of Munchak, Vers? His record with the Titans was not the greatest, but those were some underwhelming rosters. The OL seems to be what makes the Steelers Offense go, and Dorsey seems to be a trenches guy.

I wonder if we could pry Eberflus away from the Colts for DC since he was a McDaniels guy and not necessarily Reich's choice. Though, his results may have made him Reich's guy now. The Colts D was flying around last week (Jabaal Sheard more lumbering around-he seems to have...bulked up). Eberflus has those Browns ties.

Last edited by GrimmBrown; 01/05/19 12:37 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Im not going to pretend I know all the candidates and I go back and forth on some of the names and what I hear... but if the choice is mine... I'm taking McDaniels as my HC.

I think if the weird stuff with the Colts didn’t happen, he’s the obvious choice. But it did happen and now he’s not even going to get an interview.

I've heard McDaniels wouldn't get any HC interviews for a while, but I wonder how many people forget that Belichick resigned via napkin from the Jets after he was soon to be announced as their head coach. Things worked out, I'd say.

I wonder if Patriots fans are still leery of Belichick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
I don't see McDaniels fitting well with Baker. I think he's a good coach, but don't think their personalities mesh.

I don't know that I agree. I would think their personalities would mesh very well.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I just don't see GW being the guy, and I think he would have been named by now if he were

I think the lack of endorsement by the players was telling. Did they like and respect Gregg? I think so. Did they enjoy playing for him? I think so too.

But I found it odd how the players pretty much took responsibility for their turnaround and didn't seem to overly praise the coaches or pine for them to stay.

This also tells me it's Baker's team. They go like he goes moreso than the coaches.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I like Munchack. I even talked about hiring him years ago for one of our many HC opportunities. I can't remember which one. LOL

He's 58 and I think I want someone younger, but again, I'm trusting Dorsey on this one. I will say that I think Munchack is an awesome OL coach. I love how the Steelers trap block.

E
Legend
Legend
E
In a post in the Wait till next year thread...I answered Bonefish's request on what I didn't like about McCarthy.
In doing so I stated that outside of retaining our current staff I'm leaning to a new candidate out of the others and I would get to it in the Coaching search thread. So I came here and read this:

I really don't know who we should hire as HC, but Dan Campbell would be my guy if we don't retain GW or promote Kitchens.

I know we butt heads way too often about BS matters, when it comes to football we usually agree way more than we disagree.

Well again those were my exact sentiments.

I would like to add:

He has a tough mentality
He was made asst. head coach in NO which means he has a lot of football respect for that moniker.

I would like also to add to this: In his first season at least. for him to retain GW as DC and Kitchens as OC and if he could work with that. Usually these young guys are open to such moves as they don't have anyone really better in line for those positions. At least not in their first season.

That is very important this way we get continuity and if GW goes retain his son as the DC. The commitment would be to year one.

Note Tomlin of the Steelers pretty much cam on board in that way. He was of the Tampa two and he came on board without having a say in his defense and that was his specialty.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Very good points. I agree.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm guessing this thread will be closed soon and a Part II made. So in near the closing I'd like to add this as we have mentioned how Dorsey keeps things close to the vest apparently it just might be that way: From the NFL web site:

Report: Josh McDaniels, Browns share mutual interest
By JOSH EDWARDS Fri Jan 04 2019

The relationship between the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has been interesting. The Browns have not formally requested an interview with the coach but CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora did say that Cleveland has interest in doing so at some point.

CantonRep.com is now reporting that McDaniels is 'enthusiastically interested' in returning to Ohio to coach the Browns and Cleveland has mutual interest.

"McDaniels is enthusiastically interested in the Cleveland opening. The Browns have used back channels to indicate a mutual preliminary interest, but they have not invited him to an early interview. The Green Bay Packers did, and he said yes.

Browns General Manager John Dorsey has been good at cloaking what he is up to, including in the eyes of some obvious candidates. However, indications are that McDaniels is a very serious candidate."

McDaniels has long flirted with head coaching positions around the league since coming back to the Patriots as their offensive coordinator in 2012 following a failed attempt as the Broncos head coach and a brief stint as a coordinator for the Rams. The 42-year old attended Canton McKinley High School and later John Carroll. The Barberton native has spent 15 of his 18 seasons coaching with the Patriots. In addition to his brief detour with the Broncos, he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the St. Louis Rams in 2011.

The regular season has come to a close. Sign up for our FREE email newsletter only at Cleveland Browns on 247Sports today!

There is one more reason why interest in McDaniels would be noteworthy. It seems unlikely that the coach is the first choice of General Manager John Dorsey. McDaniels had accepted the head coaching position with the Indianapolis Colts last off-season before turning tail at the last minute and returning to the Patriots. He left Dorsey's understudy in Kansas City, now Colts General Manager Chris Ballard, at the alter. It is hard to envision Dorsey preferring a candidate that did wrong to his former colleague.

Cleveland parted ways with former head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley on Oct. 29. Interim head coach Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator Blake Williams and offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens took over and led the franchise to a 5-3 record during the second half of the season.

There are several reasons why potential head coaching candidates would be intrigued with the opportunity in Cleveland. Quarterback Baker Mayfield appears to be a franchise type player at the position. The team is also loaded with salary cap space and NFL Draft choices as well as a very productive 2018 NFL Draft class.

The Browns have hired 16 head coaches during their lengthy team history. They have also had five interim head coaches during that same time period. Cleveland last hired Jackson on Jan. 13, 2016. He compiled a 3-36-1 record during his two and a half seasons with the organization. The last Browns coach to finish with a winning record was Marty Schottenheimer (44-27) from 1984-1988.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Report: Josh McDaniels, Browns Jimmy Haslem share mutual interest

naughtydevil

Tackles are tackles.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
1) got to find a way to keep Kitchens

2) making Gregg HC seems like the best way to keep the band together

3) outside HC should be defensive minded or special teams focus to avoid having too many hands in the soup on offense

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I love how Dorsey is casting a large net for this hire.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Seems much..Interviewing these guys may also be for other options if the new HC is looking for a staff to put in place... Also I feel these interviews will help him down the road if he needs to put someone else in place..

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
1) got to find a way to keep Kitchens

If this is the #1 priority, and I might agree with you, then you just make the Kitchens the head coach. If you are worried about losing Kitchens to another team as their head coach in a year or two, just make him your head coach.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

Seems much..Interviewing these guys may also be for other options if the new HC is looking for a staff to put in place... Also I feel these interviews will help him down the road if he needs to put someone else in place..

That's EXACTLY what he's doing.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
but when you really look at it, other than a short stint as HC of the Dolphins, Freddie has a much longer resume' of NFL coaching experience than Campbell does.

Except for this year, Freddie's entire coaching career has been in the role of a position coach. Campbell has 3 years as an assistant head coach and 12 games as a head coach. That's 4 years of leadership experience preparing Campbell for the position.

What does an assistant head coach even mean? It seems like a fake title to me.

Added leadership responsibilities most likely. Why would someone make that up?

People have fake titles all the time so they can get more money.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

That's EXACTLY what he's doing.

Yup. Kevin Stefanski doesn't have a real chance to be our head coach. He does have a chance to be our next offensive coordinator.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Yeah. That's what it is.

Good observations. Whatever.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Crazy to interview the day after coaching in a playoff game. These guys who interview while still in the playoffs have to be so stressed.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
but when you really look at it, other than a short stint as HC of the Dolphins, Freddie has a much longer resume' of NFL coaching experience than Campbell does.

Except for this year, Freddie's entire coaching career has been in the role of a position coach. Campbell has 3 years as an assistant head coach and 12 games as a head coach. That's 4 years of leadership experience preparing Campbell for the position.

So, the Saints called him an assistant HC so they could pay him more money? I'm not seeing the logic there. I could see promoting someone to that position to keep them from jumping ship, but he had the AHC title from the time he was hired.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

So, the Saints called him an assistant HC so they could pay him more money? I'm not seeing the logic there. I could see promoting someone to that position to keep them from jumping ship, but he had the AHC title from the time he was hired.

I just literally don't know what an assistant head coach does. It seems like a fake title to me. Not knowing what it is, it doesn't make much difference if he has that on his resume to me or not.

Legend
Legend
I put this reply in the wrong thread.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just literally don't know what an assistant head coach does. It seems like a fake title to me. Not knowing what it is, it doesn't make much difference if he has that on his resume to me or not.

All I've seen is this, which is not real specific, it's part of the article I posted on page 8 of this thread...

Quote:
As assistant head coach, Campbell is entrusted with a slew of different tasks like addressing the team to start the day if Payton is occupied with other responsibilities. Campbell, like other Saints assistants, also is expected to offer input into game plans. Payton likes a collaborative process.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE
All I've seen is this, which is not real specific, it's part of the article I posted on page 8 of this thread...

Quote:
As assistant head coach, Campbell is entrusted with a slew of different tasks like addressing the team to start the day if Payton is occupied with other responsibilities. Campbell, like other Saints assistants, also is expected to offer input into game plans. Payton likes a collaborative process.

So. . . not much?

I just think having the knowledge that Kitchens can work well with our franchise QB is more valuable than anything anyone else can offer.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for that.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
cfrs disagrees with me, and I cannot find anything definitive to support either one, but I thought that when you are given the title of Assistant HC, then interviewing for a HC position is no longer a promotion but a lateral move thus allowing the team to deny interviews even for HC positions.

I am going purely by memory from years past. Like I started with cfrs tells me I am wrong. I cannot find anything definite. Wouldn't even know where to look.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

Quote:

So. . . not much?

I just think having the knowledge that Kitchens can work well with our franchise QB is more valuable than anything anyone else can offer.

Maybe not? There a lot of not so sexy things that go into coaching a football team, at least you can be sure that he is trusted to address and help with those. Plus he has actual, although limited, experience after being thrust into a toxic situation.

Who's to say Kitchens would go anywhere?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
If it was posted I missed it, but has Campbell ever called plays? O or D? Does he have his own offensive system to install? If not, he's certainly going to need someone to call the O plays and Kitchens would be the logical choice.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's always a gamble. There's no way to say Kitchens would get a better offer or go anywhere. Yet at the same time the Browns obviously considered the possibility. They named him asst. HC in January of 2018.

I don't see why they would give him such a title, which I'm sure came with a pay upgrade, if they felt confident he would stay without doing so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
If it was posted I missed it, but has Campbell ever called plays? O or D? Does he have his own offensive system to install? If not, he's certainly going to need someone to call the O plays and Kitchens would be the logical choice.

Not that I know of, which why I said I liked him. No allegiance to either side of the ball

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
cfrs disagrees with me, and I cannot find anything definitive to support either one, but I thought that when you are given the title of Assistant HC, then interviewing for a HC position is no longer a promotion but a lateral move thus allowing the team to deny interviews even for HC positions.

I am going purely by memory from years past. Like I started with cfrs tells me I am wrong. I cannot find anything definite. Wouldn't even know where to look.

I thought it had more to do with making it more difficult to hire them away as coordinators. But I could be wrong.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I just don't see GW being the guy, and I think he would have been named by now if he were

I think the lack of endorsement by the players was telling. Did they like and respect Gregg? I think so. Did they enjoy playing for him? I think so too.

But I found it odd how the players pretty much took responsibility for their turnaround and didn't seem to overly praise the coaches or pine for them to stay.

This also tells me it's Baker's team. They go like he goes moreso than the coaches.

I don't know. I think it could be more a sign of the maturation process of a young team than anything else. It's clear (to me anyway) that they've bought in to what GW and FK were doing and Baker seems to be that bridge between coaches and players. This team got a crash course in the business side of the NFL when Hue and Haley got axed. I feel like it could simply be acceptance of the fact that they have zero say in the matter and are rallying around the things they can control.

But that's just me

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
You don't have to give a person a title to give them more money. You can pay them whatever you want.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I will reply to your post mostly cus it is within the same topic.

A possibility is that Dorsey over the last 8/9 weeks has gotten to see through actions and execution what both Gregg and Freddie have done. In a sense Dorsey has all the behind looks from practice to game day and all the things in between to have a strong opinion for or against either one of them. GW especially reported to Dorsey regularly in the season so he already had his finger on the pulse of how Gregg wants to shape the team (his vision). Let us say Dorsey liked what he saw after the coaching change from the advancement of player development, to the meetings and from practice to game day. Let us speculate that he can get behind keeping the pieces together, however, from the beginning he said he would turn over rocks and seek the best person to lead the team.

I have not truly been inspired by the names that have rolled through here not to say that any one of them can't be that diamond but on the surface I have not really been wowed to say "OMG now that is the guy!!!" I speculate that this process is really more Gregg and Freddies to lose than to win. Dorsey is bringing in everyone but at the same time no one as well. I propose he is doing his due dilligence to have someone wow him and if he is not wowed then he will be more than comfortable rolling with what he has.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I agree. I think Dorsey will come back to Williams and offer him the job when all the interviewing is done.
Dorsey is interviewing a wide variety of candidates. On the surface it would seem he doesn't have a clue what he is looking for but I am sure he has a reason for looking at so many candidates.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, thats why I think that the process is a dog and pony show.

[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns head coaching search

Link Copied to Clipboard