Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really try to use it as an indictment of Sashi. I think Sashi's job was to tear this team down. And he did a great job of that. And I'm sure that we weren't the only team that needed rebuilt from the bottom up.

Point being, almost every skill player position was changed, the OT's were both replaced. The entire QB room was replaced, one RB left, What four WR's changed including our #1 and #2? The entire secondary was rebuilt. I could go on. But when you change almost every skill player on your roster, your secondary and OT's, you rebuilt your team.

But see, almost anyone can gut a team and trade down in the draft. While I guess you can call that some major skill set, I don't believe anyone who wishes to be taken seriously can assert that a person who can do that has the skills you need to build a team.

Sashi did what he came here to do. Blow things up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Why is this so difficult to understand?

You get high picks in the draft from being a bad team. If you trade those high picks for more picks it is still the result of previous failures.

The Browns have been a bad team because they consistently failed in the draft and in overall personnel decisions.

This is not matter of despute.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Seriously shaking my head here.

No one is disputing the new faces on the roster from 2017 to 2018. But its completely irresponsible to tie the roster turnover to our recent success. If anyone truly believes that, you simply are not paying attention.

Legend
Legend

I have no idea what logic you are applying?

So by what you are saying the roster from 2017 could have achieved the same record in 2018 by only changing the coaching staff??

What?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pit - didn't mean to imply you were using these numbers as an indictment of Sashi, meant it to the board in general.

I agree with you that Sashi did what he was hired to go.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Diam can't refute the words coming out of your mouth, he just throws some new ones in there, adds an emoji and caps lock party and says he won.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
But its completely irresponsible to tie the roster turnover to our recent success.

Yeah - I am scratching my head on that one. Better RB, better WR core, better QB, better CB and safeties .... and they weren't the reason for success??

I'll give you Hue was worse than I ever imagined and other coaches would have won more games than Hue did .... but the roster had an equal impact on the ability to win more games once Hue was jettisoned.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
But its completely irresponsible to tie the roster turnover to our recent success.

Yeah - I am scratching my head on that one. Better RB, better WR core, better QB, better CB and safeties .... and they weren't the reason for success??

I'll give you Hue was worse than I ever imagined and other coaches would have won more games than Hue did .... but the roster had an equal impact on the ability to win more games once Hue was jettisoned.

Yes.

I can see where the confusion rests. My point is that the roster turnover wasn't the ONLY reason for success as many want you to believe. I tend to type slower than my brain.

Also, the argument isn't that Dorsey didn't acquire talented players, but rather that he couldn't have built what we've become without the assets acquired before Dorsey.

Those who downplay the importance of good coaching and a franchise quarterback haven't been paying attention to the browns (or the NFL) the past 20 years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a quick list of players Brown drafted or acquired who are contributors for the current team;

Garrett
Ogunjobi
Ogbah
Schobert
Collins
Peppers
Kindred
BBC
Njoku
Tretter
Zeitler
Colquitt

Who am I missing?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t know the answer to this:

Should players used with picks acquired by Sashi Brown be credited towards him?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would say no. In my estimation, Sashi's job was to make the Brown's GM position attractive enough to draw a top notch candidate. In Jan 2016, when Farmer was fired, the Cleveland GM job was probably the least attractive GM position in the NFL. The top candidates weren't going to be interested. If the Browns hired a GM at that time, it would have been someone with no experience or someone who had failed somewhere else. The John Dorsey's of the NFL were not going to take the job. Sashi's turned the job from the least attractive to the most attractive. A large part of that attraction was the 5 draft picks in the first 65. So, the picks were part of the what brought Dorsey to Cleveland.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I will not dispute this, however the one thing that many continue to ignore is that the talent evaluators under Sashi who most likely were the driving force in the picks selected are still here under Dorsey.

I keep reading how Sashi wasn't qualified for the position he held. Sashi wasn't the GM. We didn't have a GM.

I recall when we drafted Corey Coleman, many were upset we didn't draft Treadwell... where is Treadwell today? The Ravens drafted Perriman in the first round. Sometimes picks don't work out. Coleman was the top rated WR by many... Treadwell, Fuller, Doctson were the other first rd WR that year I believe. We fail if we had taken any of those.

I believe our front office realized you don't hit on every pick which is why they acquired more picks to build their roster from... Teams that believe they can "win" the draft don't fair well.

Legend
Legend
Isn't it funny that Perriman man have a second bite of the apple here. But I don't think Coleman will catch on with any team.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Credited to Sashi? No, at least IMO. Sashi wasn't the one who picked them. Dorsey did. But Sashi allowed Dorsey to be in the fantastic draft position he was in with 2 picks in the top 5, two second rounders, and 3 third rounders. Without those extra picks, I showed what Dorsey's draft would have been like as well as what picks he traded for players.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
So by what you are saying the roster from 2017 could have achieved the same record in 2018 by only changing the coaching staff??

If this is what you took away from his post, I feel bad for you.

I think the argument is how big of a difference a franchise QB elevates your team and amplifies pieces already established. For example, how different was the team with Baker Mayfield than Tyrod Taylor? With the same roster. And even with the same coaches for a few additional weeks. It was night and day. If you can't see how big a different a QB makes (not the only difference, but a huge one), then well....I'm sorry.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Isn't it funny that Perriman man have a second bite of the apple here. But I don't think Coleman will catch on with any team.

Coleman is with the Giants currently.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Credited to Sashi? No, at least IMO. Sashi wasn't the one who picked them. Dorsey did. But Sashi allowed Dorsey to be in the fantastic draft position he was in with 2 picks in the top 5, two second rounders, and 3 third rounders. Without those extra picks, I showed what Dorsey's draft would have been like as well as what picks he traded for players.

I would agree. And I see your point on Tyrod. Imagine if we had that pick for another player who could contribute instead of having to trade for Tyrod who last 2 and a half games. I doubt he stays knowing he's the backup. I still don't have issues with the trade because the QB position is so important, but I understand your point.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder how much the Browns draft team relied on 'analytics' in their first draft?

Just a guess, but the Browns draft team might have relied on Cory Coleman's "track skills" a bit too much, rather than his football skills.
.....note to analytics gurus..track is not football.

Every time I hear Cory Coleman's name, I think about Michael Thomas and what might have been, had our draft team valued Thomas' skill set a bit more than their analytics.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One could argue we still draft Mayfield at #1, but the rest is a crapshoot. However, one must wonder how much influence the people Sashi put in place had on Dorsey's selections.

Also, important to point out during this rebuilding process is that you can acquire additional compensatory picks by not signing free agents if your players leave in free agency. Obviously, there's more to it than just that, but this undoubtedly played a role in signing many free agents in the first two seasons under Sashi.

Ironically enough, the Patriots and Rams both look to receive a couple 3rd rd compensatory picks and both are in the Super Bowl. As much as people want us to sign free agents, it's not always the best angle to take.

We are, however, in win now mode, so I expect us to be players in free agency.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think analytics played a large role in drafting Corey Coleman. Reading thru and listening to what we said about him right after selecting him, he sounded great and was highly regarded by many around the NFL. However, like Johnny, it would appear he found things off the field more intriguing than playing football.

Im sure the teams that drafted Fuller, Treadwell, and Doctson over Thomas wonder how that happened and what if. In fact, most of the teams in the NFL passed on Thomas. So it's not like this was an issue only with the Browns.

Last edited by devicedawg; 01/28/19 11:03 AM.
Legend
Legend
Don't feel anything for me.

Read what he wrote.

Where was anything mentioned about the impact of the quarterback?
===============================================

"But its completely irresponsible to tie the roster turnover to our recent success. If anyone truly believes that, you simply are not paying attention."

Legend
Legend

Well that's a surprise to me.. But good for him

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: CBFAN19
J/C

I’ve skimmed a lot of the posts, so maybe someone pointed this out before, but one question I have is this: How do we know that Hue said, “Get the f...out of my office” if it was only Hue, Dorsey, and Halsam in said office? This is not a defense of Hue or anything other than how does the author get this quote if not from one of the three. Now if one of them related this quote to the author then I just missed it. It’s more of a curiosity than any point I’m trying to make.

Good question.

Hue?
Seeing as Hue is not camera shy, or afraid to leak info to the media - I just assumed that tidbit came from him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

I’ve skimmed a lot of the posts, so maybe someone pointed this out before, but one question I have is this: How do we know that Hue said, “Get the f...out of my office” if it was only Hue, Dorsey, and Halsam in said office? This is not a defense of Hue or anything other than how does the author get this quote if not from one of the three. Now if one of them related this quote to the author then I just missed it. It’s more of a curiosity than any point I’m trying to make.

Good question.

Hue?
Seeing as Hue is not camera shy, or afraid to leak info to the media - I just assumed that tidbit came from him.

I wondered the same, but I have to think Hue wouldn't leak that he told his boss/owner to get the F@*% out of his office. That's not a good look and I don't think master manipulator Hue would be that dumb. But who knows....

Legend
Legend
Upon being fired, if you said that, then he actually didn't have an office anymore LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I think it's safe to say that analytics "failed" in the draft analysis of Coleman.

Doing a quick check, not all who judged that draft missed on Coleman. NFL.com had Coleman as a 1 or 2nd round pick and ranked Coleman as one of the top "boom-bust" prospects of the draft.

BOTTOM LINE...analytics in the hands of the Browns draft team did not prove to be an advantage for this franchise. Haslam was easily fooled thinking there was some kind of a shortcut to success.

There are no shortcuts...only hard work and dedication by those willing to put in the time and effort to turn this franchise around.

Another draft like last year will certainly help!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It does not surprise me, him being a very recent 1st round pick with some nice speed. Like us with Perriman, I am sure he was a low risk acquisition by the Giants. He certainly has bounce around some. Perriman has shown that he can catch the ball and has (IMO) earned a new contract. Time will tell if Coleman can do the same, or if he has one or two more bounces before he finds a job that does not require hands.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

Good question.

Hue?

Probably a secondary source. John Dorsey or Jimmy Haslam related the story and then that person tells Wickersham. Or it’s just Haslam or Dorsey.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Also, the argument isn't that Dorsey didn't acquire talented players, but rather that he couldn't have built what we've become without the assets acquired before Dorsey.

So you're saying if former GM's and coaches hadn't sucked so bad at what they did, Dorsey wouldn't have had as much ammunition to put together a respectable roster? If that's what you're saying I agree.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, he had a hopping 5 receptions for 71 yards an 0 td's.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, he had a hopping 5 receptions for 71 yards an 0 td's.

Perriman? He was 16 catches for 340 yards and 2 TDs. Not saying he had Pro Bowl numbers, but I think he is worth a contract.

Edit. Oh, nevermind. You were talking Coleman.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac
I think it's safe to say that analytics "failed" in the draft analysis of Coleman.

Doing a quick check, not all who judged that draft missed on Coleman. NFL.com had Coleman as a 1 or 2nd round pick and ranked Coleman as one of the top "boom-bust" prospects of the draft.

BOTTOM LINE...analytics in the hands of the Browns draft team did not prove to be an advantage for this franchise. Haslam was easily fooled thinking there was some kind of a shortcut to success.

There are no shortcuts...only hard work and dedication by those willing to put in the time and effort to turn this franchise around.

Another draft like last year will certainly help!

I agree in the case of Coleman that analytics "failed."

However, I don't think of analytics as a "shortcut." It's simply another method to evaluate players. I don't think the overall method is a failure. In fact, we still very much use analytics in our player evaluations with Dorsey on board. If analytics was the driving force in picking Mayfield over Darnold or Rosen or Allen, I'd say it worked.

If anything, I'd say Corey Coleman proves there's no clear cut sure fire way to evaluate players. There's going to failures no matter what system you use.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's going to failures no matter what system you use.

Dorsey seems to have warmed up to analytics. Likely taking an approach of find the best football player with good analytics and he's your guy. Hoping to cut down a bit on the chance of failure through the use of analytics. Probably a decent approach, at least from a starting point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

So you're saying if former GM's and coaches hadn't sucked so bad at what they did, Dorsey wouldn't have had as much ammunition to put together a respectable roster? If that's what you're saying I agree.

Sure. If you want to continue your crusade go with that...

Again, you don't gain additional picks for being awful. The roster wasn't the greatest, but it also wasn't as bad as 0-16 and 1-15. 4-5 both years was quite possible... Coaching was far worse than the front office.

I'm still shocked the amount of people who wish to defend Hue even after seeing an interim coach win more games in half a season than Hue did in 2.5, but whatever...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
There's going to failures no matter what system you use.

Dorsey seems to have warmed up to analytics. Likely taking an approach of find the best football player with good analytics and he's your guy. Hoping to cut down a bit on the chance of failure through the use of analytics. Probably a decent approach, at least from a starting point.

This is what I took it to be from the beginning.

I noticed inn one of the article quotes at the beginning of the thread that said something to the effect that DePo said Hue didn't fit what they were trying to do. I'm curious if that determination was from a philosophical standpoint only, or if their analytical system also includes a psychology component?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hue and the roster being putrid are two separate issues. It seems you're suggesting that winning for or five games puts those rosters on equal footing with the roster we have.

If you can't see that replacing all but a few skill players, both OT's, RB's, a total remake of the secondary and WR position wasn't necessary to help turn things around, you can't be helped.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You get additional picks when you trade down from high picks.

Or from trades.

You can speculate about wins that doesn't make it so.

Again front office and coaching go hand in hand. Front office or owner select the head coach. They work together to make personnel decisions.

If you don't build roster talent. You don't win games regardless of the coaching staff.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Joe Thomas had a better year than either of our LTs I'd say.
Crow had a better year than Hyde.
Jason McCourty had a better year than any of our CBs.

Our defense was actually worse this year than last year.

If you think Tyrod goes 7-8-1 with this team, you can't be helped.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, a total roster turnover and you do nothing but stick your fingers in your ear going la, la, la, la.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Yes.

I can see where the confusion rests. My point is that the roster turnover wasn't the ONLY reason for success as many want you to believe. I tend to type slower than my brain.

Those who downplay the importance of good coaching and a franchise quarterback haven't been paying attention to the browns (or the NFL) the past 20 years.

Not sure what all the pontificating is over. What you just said here is pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. Not sure who else has said it but I think Brown did an okay job of tearing it all down and laying a clean foundation on which to build? And as someone (else or the same person) said - Brown wasn't GM and wasn't pulling the trigger on draft picks. jmo. To clarify - I think the success was due to all of the above. GW would have won more games than Hue because he was a better coach (whether it was TT or BM). GW would not have won as many games as he did with the same roster as last year.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/28/19 04:27 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Interesting take from ESPN on Haslam and the coaching search

Link Copied to Clipboard