Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c

I may be opening a can of worms here, but I don't think Hue is necessarily a bad coach. I do think he never really bought into the plan despite saying he was on board when trying to get the job. We ended up with too many factions, and too much time wasted trying to cover one's own... behind and placing blame elsewhere.

Hopefully we'll have the real "one team, one direction" deal this go round. The fact that Dorsey and Kitchens have actually worked together should have both going in with their eyes wide open.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
A billionaire that has actually had some experience in building a product that has gained popularity and success would be a better fit. Not that it's an easy thing to see happen. You are right that it's a very small amount of people within a pool that has the finances to ever become an NFL owner and finding "the prefect fit" to do so is highly unlikely.

On the other hand, when Haslam bought the team it seemed many felt that "just because he was a billionaire", that equated to him being a successful owner here.

I on the other hand, felt since his fame and fortune pretty much came for being a successful marketer had nothing to do with building a winning product on the field. The two were different as night and day.

Businesses are very different and success is achieved by different models. Much like someone who runs a family business isn't used to working with having to negotiate and work within the corporate or government structure, Those are vastly different things that work entirely different.

A smart person can grow into a changing role over time. They can learn to adapt and succeed in differing environments. Yet at the same time there is a learning curve that means it's not a quick fix or easy transition.

I think that's what we are beginning to see here and I certainly hope that trend continues. But my warning when he arrived and the length of time it has taken to see the progress we are seeing now I believe goes to show that we need to learn to temper our expectation and not rush to the conclusion that just because someone is extremely wealthy means they will automatically succeed in a much different environment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really sure he understood what the entire plan was when he took the job. And yes, the can of worms has been opened.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
You keep saying building a product. His travel centers are/were the product. He took them above and beyond a truckstop.

I have been stopping at them years before Haslam bought the team. A product doesn't have to be something you can put in your hand. A vision you carry out is a product.

Clem is a musician. His product is fine music.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
J/c

I may be opening a can of worms here, but I don't think Hue is necessarily a bad coach. I do think he never really bought into the plan despite saying he was on board when trying to get the job. We ended up with too many factions, and too much time wasted trying to cover one's own... behind and placing blame elsewhere.

Hopefully we'll have the real "one team, one direction" deal this go round. The fact that Dorsey and Kitchens have actually worked together should have both going in with their eyes wide open.

Hue has had some success at coaching positions below the head coach level. As a head coach, he is a back-stabbing cancer. Mayfield has recently pinned the early season, team dysfunction on Hue.

Hue took over the Raider HC job for Tom Cable after serving one year as OC for Cable...Cable got fired and Hue stepped in. Shocker. The new Raider GM canned Hue after one full year...he saw through the fake.

We know all too well of Hue's failures with the Browns. He couldn't or wouldn't fit an offense to help Kizer and he wouldn't let Mayfield take a snap with the 1st team...you know...Baker Mayfield...the guy who went on to break Peyton Manning's rookie TD record in three or so fewer games. He got his cohort fired once and his new cohort beat him to the punch.

Hue is a decent soldier - not a trustworthy one mind you - but he's no General.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The product if the fuel. Everything else is marketing. Do I really need me to go back and quote his comments about marketing and how he praised consistently changing marketing practices at Pilot and how important marketing is? Do you remember, "It's a marketing world" in that presser too?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree that Jimmy's best attribute is Marketing. However, the Pilot product is not the fuel. You can get fuel anywhere.

The Pilot stores required vision. They serve both the trucker and the car traveler. They are a clean place for truckers to get a shower and some decent food. He saw a demand that was going un-served and was growing anyway - that being the number of trucks on the road today.

You can get food, drink, fuel and darn near anything else a traveler could find themselves wanting. It was a ridiculously simple idea that stared everyone else in the face...but he's the one who saw it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You keep saying building a product. His travel centers are/were the product. He took them above and beyond a truckstop.

I have been stopping at them years before Haslam bought the team. A product doesn't have to be something you can put in your hand. A vision you carry out is a product.

Clem is a musician. His product is fine music.

I wish Clem owned the Browns. laugh

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can get fuel anywhere. It's the people that can add to it and market it the best that succeed at selling a product provided to them. There are several brands that aslo do exactly what you are describing. It's not a novel idea.

Unless you're suggesting that not anyone can sell soda, coffee and put food into a fuel center. All of which is a product provided to market.

Unless you honestly believe that putting a truck stop and a gas station together under one roof is some revolutionary idea, I don't see your point.

I live in Tennessee and do business with Pilot Flying J. But it's because Haslam owns the Browns. Speedway would work just as well. Speedway also combines truck stops with gas stations at several locations.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Kleenex and Xerox (copies) go hand-in-hand with Pilot/Flying J (fuel centers). You have to give credit to the guy who invented the idea. That goes beyond marketing...but it was marketing that enhanced the vision.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Enhancement is the perfect word. Like building the fan experience, changing the uniform and the game day experience. Problem is nobody was providing the fuel (team).

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree Willie .. its all about the money ... 100% .. that allows them to buy the team ... ok .. i’m Giggy with that ... its how capitalism works ...

GREAT ... we agree there .... now the SMART/GOOD OWNERS like Robert Kraft/Arthur Blanks/Jeffry Lurie (I dont consider the Rooney’s or Mara’s to be in this classs cause they’ve owned he team sfor a generation or two) ... Bill Allen was another one ...

They buy there teams hire there football guys and get the hell out of the way ... then u have guys like Jerry Jones who is in a class by himself .. he’s there GM .. he’s even worse than the THIEF WAS ... that moron did the right thing out of the gate with JJ and then got butt hurt he didn’t get enough credit and FIRED JJ AND TOOK OVER ... what have they done since? .. he hired the Tuna and gave him full control and the tuna made them good again but Jones couldn’t keep his nose out of it and drove the Tuna away ..

Dan Snyder was another one that came in thinking he knew to much ... they STUNK and no one wanted to go work there ..

ITS NOT THAT HARD WILLIE ... really it isn’t ... who did u emulate throughout your career ... guys that ACHIEVED or guys that STUNK? .. to me ... its COMMON SENSE ..

And what about our record since he’s been here ... crap .. he bought the team in 2012 in October ... between 2013 - 2017 we won 15 GAMES TOTAL .... let me repeat that ... in 5 years we won 15 games TOTAL ... capped off by the worst run in the history of sports ...

We won 4 games in 48 tries in 15,16 and 17 ... the longer he owned the team the WORSE WE GOT ... capped off by 0 wins in 2017 .. U KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS? ... that is a COLLOSIAL FAILURE on EVEY LEVEL!! ... it takes a special efforttto achieve that level of incompetence ...

He’s been the WORST OWNER IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS SO FAR ... not even sure how close it is ... i know no one rivals him in football ...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
And he's aged 10 years since buying and it's HIS OWN DAMN FAULT.

STAY OUT OF DORSEYS WAY,,HASLAM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Would you have put Al Davis in with JJ?

And I like what Peen is saying, that Jimmy cares and is trying. In that regard I feel it could be worse. We could have someone like Mike Davis or Mike Brown... or Dan Snyder. I'd take Haslam over any of them.

For Jimmy, I just hope it's as simple as he hasn't had the GM and HC on the same page until hopefully now... I think this is the part that he underestimated when he became owner.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t know what Al Davis was like in the beginning ... the last 10 - 15 years definelty .. he was senile then ...

I dont agree on mike Davis ... he hired gruden and its his org, now ...

I agree on brown ...

NONE OF THEM WERE EVER AS BAD AS THE THIEF HAS BEEN ..

U LOVE your numbers .... yet u IGNORE THE THIEF’S HISTORICALLY BAD RUN ..

15 wins in his first five full years as owner ...4 wins in a 3 year period and 1 win in a two year period and then the ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to achieve winless season ..

He made HORRIBLE HIRES and did things that MADE NO SENSE ... like hiring his HC before his GM ...

And NO ONE has ever brought in a LAWYER and a numbers guy from baseball with ONLY 1 SNOT NOSED FOOTBALL mind to run his personal department .. NO ONE ... the bafoon was going to revolutionize FOOTBALL ... rofl ...

Your wasting your time here ... there is nothing u or anyone else can say that can REFUTE THOSE FACTS to me ...

Just like Sashi/Hue ... WAER UNDER THE BRIDGE ... WHO CARES ...

We have different opinions and thats fine ... one thing we agree on is the FUTURE IS BRIGHT as hell ... thumbsup

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Quote:
one thing we agree on is the FUTURE IS BRIGHT as hell ...

Indeed. So that means that it appears Haslam has gotten it right.

Sometimes it takes time to get the right combination of people together and growth by the owners to get the train rolling down the tracks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Nice try and an excellent attempt at spin Peenie ... wink ...

We got SO LUCKY ... SO SO LUCKY bro ...

His hire of Sashi was so bad he was FORCED TO FIRE either Hue or Sashi ... then thanks to Andy the OVERRATED ONE Reid King John was sitting there MID SEASON ...

Having a personal office with ONE SNOT NOSED FOOTBALL GUY in it along with a lawyer and baseball numbers guy tells me he didn’t even know there was a train as opposed to having trouble getting the train on the tracks .. wink ...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile ... and we were WAY WAY WAY OVERDUE ... thumbsup

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Many times luck has as much to do with it as anything.

At any rate, Haslam seems to have gotten it right. That's a good thing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

There is some talk that Haslam was unfortunate because he never had a GM and a HC who could work together. However, if you read the article closely enough, it's beyond apparent that Jimmy's handling of everyone in Berea nurtured an environment filled w/dissension and dysfunction.

Some claim that he has learned his lesson and rightfully point to how he wasn't on stage when Kitchens was announced as the HC and how the coaching staff will now report directly to Haslam. Those are indeed good signs and perhaps he has learned his lesson.

However, I am still hesitant to believe that Jimmy will stay out of the way if the team doesn't meet its lofty expectations in the immediate future.

We'll see...

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Interesting take from ESPN on Haslam and the coaching search

Link Copied to Clipboard