Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1588373 01/31/19 08:08 PM
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
I was just reading thru the WR thread and it hit me that Charles and DeValve lined up as a fullback many times.

I was wondering would you guys think about signing either a FA or drafting a monster fullback. I think with the offense we run, and the backs we have, having a guy that can clear the way would be huge. They also could be helpful in the pass protection aspect. And if their hands are good, that's a bigger plus.

Not a TE to play fullback, but a bigger ass-busting fullback.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Forget a fullback. Orson does fine in that role and does other things as well.

As I have said for many years, if blocking is what you want, just put a reserve guard or DT back there. The Fridge wasn't a fullback, but he was a pretty good lead blocker when asked.

Just consider Orson Charles a fullback if that floats your boat.

Plus, the college game doesn't utilize a FB anymore. It's now about a big TE who can block and can run and catch.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't see it happening.

Freddie's offense is all about being able to do almost anything out of any formation. A FB would severely limit that ability.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Keep Orson.

He can block; and I think most people forget he was a TE in college. #godawgs #UGA

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with Peen. No need for a Conventional Fullback. Not with a RB like Nick Chubb. Orson Charles offers us more variety, as he can block as a FB and a TE.

Waste of a roster spot. Better to keep Orson Charles

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I like what we have now. use an interior lineman for short goes if needed. Put a couple of 'em back there and pretend it's single wing. But we need more out of that position than the old lead blocker. Is Vickers available?

If you never get into any short yardage downs, then we don't need us no steenkink FB's.

Just move the chains if the refs will let ya.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Ballpeen #1588489 02/01/19 10:18 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As I have said for many years, if blocking is what you want, just put a reserve guard or DT back there. The Fridge wasn't a fullback, but he was a pretty good lead blocker when asked.

Plus, the college game doesn't utilize a FB anymore. It's now about a big TE who can block and can run and catch.

He's a FA right? We'll need to lock him up. (bad choice of words, but you know what I meant)

I think I remember that you've been saying that there insn't a need for a FB for years. Am I right about that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Charles was a decent to good blocking TE/FB from what I've gathered

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I was just reading thru the WR thread and it hit me that Charles and DeValve lined up as a fullback many times.

I was wondering would you guys think about signing either a FA or drafting a monster fullback. I think with the offense we run, and the backs we have, having a guy that can clear the way would be huge. They also could be helpful in the pass protection aspect. And if their hands are good, that's a bigger plus.

1. Charles was very good in the Roll I would love DeValve to also get his reps as he has a little more pass catching skills.

2. This has become a passing game, you don't lose that much with Charles at 257 blocking, he was very good btw. And DeValve is very intelligent and gifted as well and is willing to block which is big in expectation.

3. But you gain so much more in pass catching ability and YAC, especially with Devalve in there who got his reps mostly after Charles went down with injury. For years especially in the red zone. Its been a practice of defenses to have man cover on all eligible WRs...except for the FB - So that works out better with an H-Back rather than a Snot Nose FB. If we ran the Ravens O maybe a necessity???

But we are going Spread most likely. And we definitely will run out of it. Charles had only 3 receptions but if memory serves me correct it was I believe for 1st downs.

DeValve though could be the key as he has the ability to block as he has worked on it. But he has much more speed and the ability for some serious damage in the pass catching dept.
Hew only played in 5 games on Offense, a lot more on ST.but had 5 catches and a TD, btw I saw him open a lot but Baker chose to go a bit deeper rather than the easy dump off.

I think if they develop some rapoire with each other, that could become a definite weapon from the FB positioning.

End of game with a lead, I think its important to bring in Charles who is a little bigger and a very good blocker. So that we could run with success while trying to run out the clock.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be a perfect way to get Corbett on the field more. Put him in at FB for short yardage.

DeputyDawg #1588609 02/01/19 04:35 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
[quote=DeputyDawg]That would be a perfect way to get Corbett on the field more. Put him in at FB for short yardage. [

Just make sure you let him know before you try to hand him the ball. I remember that going horribly wrong with a 3rd string TE once.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

If there's no FB, then there's nobody to blow away. That said, if we can find Christian Okoye Jr who is 6'4 230 and can run a 4.6, why not let him run it. We need to utilize our skill players, at all positions including TE, instead of using them as blockers primarily.

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Thanks for the replies. I agree with Charles being a good choice to fill the role. I also think DeValve could be a weapon.

Wasn't a suggestion, just kind of thinking out loud, and picturing a FB mashing the MLB and Chubb running free.

Thanks again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's okay, man. It was a football question and a football thread. Kudos to you.

Damanshot #1588712 02/01/19 09:48 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

He's a FA right? We'll need to lock him up. (bad choice of words, but you know what I meant)

I think I remember that you've been saying that there insn't a need for a FB for years. Am I right about that?

You are correct. Peen has been talking about the FB position being outdated for years now. I also remember him talking about how the NFL would have to adapt to college QBs in this era, but he was one of the few voices on that one.

The judge wuz right. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
It seemed like the team stuggled converting in yard to go situations. Maybe there are some statistics out there that can show if this is the case or not, but it sure seemed that way.

So I don't know if we need a FB, but it felt like we needed something.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am glad I found this thread. I have been thinking for a couple of months now that I would love to see the team add a real fullback. I really like James Devlin from New England, and would like to see a guy like that here in Cleveland blocking for Chubb. Not sure how realistic it is now though given our current offense, and that fullback is kind of a dead position in college. I would be thrilled though if we draft one in one of the later rounds.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
The key to todays fullback, is catching ability. If you get one with those skills, he can be very valuable. I thought DeValve could have been this guy, but his injuries have really set him back.

I imagine a play action situation where the fullback is leading, chips the LB and sits in the open spot. Just another option for Baker.

I don't know if it would fit with todays offenses, but there are teams that still use FBs, and they seem effective for them.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If you're going to use a FB, I prefer an actual FB, not a TE playing out of position. Guys like Terrelle Smith and Lawrence Vickers were like heat-seeking missiles while blocking for guys like Reuben Droughns and Jamal Lewis. They also had some receiving abilities but at 240+ lbs, their forte was blowing up LBs in the hole as lead blocker. They were also better in pass protection than Devalve, Fells, or Charles IMO.

Dave #1591257 02/11/19 10:56 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I remember the Texans had the best running game in the NFL and utilized an H-Back rather than a FB.

I think we keep on mentioning how the passing game has dictated the need for pass catchers every where RB n even in this threat a pass catching FB. very few out there - rather have a TE like lets say Devalve excel in his blocking skills - its not rocket science stuff and technique is probably the easiest thing around to learn. Its of course vision that has to be experienced but going through a hole and turning correctly left or right to seal and hit a LB is not an ability that take years to learn..Charles has that ability already and I would rather see him catch the ball then the Best pass catching FB made.

We do lose the ability of handing off to them for short yardage but Chubb is freaking talented for that one yard.

Devalve cause he could be a stud for dump offs and in 3rd and short, Goal to go situations where we go play action...I trust Devalve more than any FB going to catch that pass and make it happen. In the red zone most defenses Disregard the FB in man coverage. Again I would prefer to see Devalve be ignored than any FB. And the only other option is because Devalve would have pass catching skills he will be assigned a Man Defender which puts ONE on ONE for many out there. Calloway, Landry, Njoku and Perriman come to mind. All one on one, a smart QB like Baker would eat that D up alive!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1591269 02/11/19 12:09 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
While I believe Devalve could be taught to be a better blocker, I don't believe he can ever have the burst out of his 3-pt stance or the explosion at the point of attack that a FB (who was probably a RB in high school) would have. IMO, most TEs are taller and more likely to be long striders who take longer to get to top speed than is required in a lead-blocking back. They also have a higher center of gravity which makes them more vulnerable to a bull-rushing DL or LB if they are kept back as pass protectors.

lampdogg #1591279 02/11/19 12:43 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

You are correct. Peen has been talking about the FB position being outdated for years now. I also remember him talking about how the NFL would have to adapt to college QBs in this era, but he was one of the few voices on that one.

The judge wuz right. wink

Dang,, you are right, he had been saying that for a lot of years... Forgot all about that..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dave #1591288 02/11/19 12:59 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dave
While I believe Devalve could be taught to be a better blocker, I don't believe he can ever have the burst out of his 3-pt stance or the explosion at the point of attack that a FB (who was probably a RB in high school) would have. IMO, most TEs are taller and more likely to be long striders who take longer to get to top speed than is required in a lead-blocking back. They also have a higher center of gravity which makes them more vulnerable to a bull-rushing DL or LB if they are kept back as pass protectors.

I agree with this 100%. All one has to do is look at the typical body type of a FB and a TE to see how vastly different the two are. There's a reason for that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dave #1591294 02/11/19 01:18 PM
Legend
Legend
If you're going to use a FB, I prefer an actual FB, not a TE playing out of position. Guys like Terrelle Smith and Lawrence Vickers were like heat-seeking missiles while blocking for guys like Reuben Droughns and Jamal Lewis. They also had some receiving abilities but at 240+ lbs, their forte was blowing up LBs in the hole as lead blocker. They were also better in pass protection than Devalve, Fells, or Charles IMO.

Orson Charles - ~250lbs.... and Mayfield took fewer hits & sacks than any Browns QB of the last 20 years over the last seven games.

It's hard to argue against Charles' pass-blocking based solely on that.
Smith & Vickers were excellent FB's, but we can get more out of that spot on the field by utilizing an H-Back that can block as well as those guys, but is better at catching & running. We don't need them to ever carry the ball because we're loaded at RB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1591301 02/11/19 01:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I think you hit on the key issue. The main function of a FB is as a lead blocker for your RB. Most FB's are shorter with a lower center of gravity to play that position than a TE.

But how much you would use a FB in your scheme would strongly dictate whether it would be wise to use a roster spot for a FB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1591308 02/11/19 01:43 PM
Legend
Legend
It's absolutely a trade-off.
Sticking with the examples of Vickers and Smith, both are 6' even. Orson Charles is 6' 3".
Pure FB's will be better blockers, but won't be quite as good running and catching as a TE - so, which aspect do you prioritize: Run Game or Pass Game?

Looking at how Kitchens operated and going off what I've heard of Monken's views on a balanced offense, I'd suspect we will lean toward roster choices that emphasize the Pass Game.

Say good-bye to the FB in Cleveland, give a hearty Welcome Back to the H-Back.

Anyone seen Aaron Shea, lately??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dave #1591310 02/11/19 01:46 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you and Devalve hasn't been a good blocker in his career. And while I agree w/the notion that you can be taught to be a better blocker, I'm pretty sure some don't have the
"want to."

Versatile Dog #1591347 02/11/19 03:20 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Devalve seems like a tweener... not quite a TE. Not quite a wideout. I think if someone developed a role for him he could be quite effective. I believe he has good hands and can do some nice things, but I think his days are numbered here.

I still really like Devalve. I think he was drafted to be a football player here and a hybrid who could fill in at TE HB or WR if necessary. I don't think we will have a need for him. I hope he remains... and I could be wrong about him, but I'm losing hope that he will be a contributor here. In the right place he could actually be a monster.

devicedawg #1591349 02/11/19 03:22 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
In the right place he could actually be a monster.

Canada?

Dave #1591360 02/11/19 03:35 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
In the right place he could actually be a monster.

Canada?

New England

devicedawg #1591368 02/11/19 03:37 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I love a good sense of humor.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1591380 02/11/19 03:46 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Apparently... You're still here...

devicedawg #1591397 02/11/19 03:54 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I always will be.

#gmstrong
Versatile Dog #1591509 02/11/19 07:11 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/you and Devalve hasn't been a good blocker in his career. And while I agree w/the notion that you can be taught to be a better blocker, I'm pretty sure some don't have the
"want to."

I agree. Teaching somebody to block is pretty basic to football. I am sure DeValve has been taught, by good coaches.

To me it's like catching a ball. If you aren't good at it by this point in your career, you probably never will.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PitDAWG #1591512 02/11/19 07:14 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I get his point. I like DeValve as well and think he can be really good if placed in a featured role.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1591529 02/11/19 08:12 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
IMO, Devalve is a finesse/receiving/non-blocking type TE. He's not a FB or an H-Back.

Ballpeen #1591675 02/12/19 11:31 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I get his point. I like DeValve as well and think he can be really good if placed in a featured role.

Many of us just ignore him anyway...

Devalve was a QB in high school and a WR at Princeton. He was used more like a WR when he first arrived. He's still transitioning to TE in the pros. He may get there, he may not. He was bulking up last year and worked on his blocking. He was also injured the start of the season and fell behind. I still think of him as a tweener and there's a team out there who could play to his strengths. He's not super fast, but he's no slouch. And he makes good plays/catches with the football. I'm not sure what our plans would be with him moving forward. I believe Charles is a RFA, and Fells is still under contract and played well. Drafting any type of TE like TJ Hockenson would probably spell the end of Devalve. I don't see us drafting a TE at 17, however, but Hockenson is probably going to be a beast. Perhaps there would be a team out there willing to trade a pick for Seth if it came to that. He could be very useful for the right team.

Dave #1591706 02/12/19 12:24 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E

Good points a counter to some.

1. Devalve has improved and progressed with blocking with each season.
2. H-Backs don't get into 3 point stances too much...they also tend to go into motion and be off set more than a FB.
3. But in lead blocker top speed. Devlin who is considered the best (and not available) his 10 yard breakdown had him at 1.75. Seth Devalve meanwhile was at 1.54. A pretty big difference in a 10 yard breakdown.
4. Straight In line blocking blowing out a LB I do agree with you a seasoned snot nose FB is useful.
5. To be sincere with you..blocking inside and out is all about Angles not straight line blocking. To get to a hole and pick right or left on the oncoming LB is the most important virtue, at that point its about sealing from a good angle to give that RB the sliver.

It can be done and with not too much difficulty. Right now Orson Charles is better than most FB I have seen. I'm just looking to upgrade on him. The pass catching skills provided by Devalve is much greater and if he can get close to those blocking skills needed he can make the position into one of impact. Better than single RB with spread formation look. Devalve can be spread out slot or wide then come in motion to set up for a run block or play action pass... that was my point. as a straight up FB I think Charles is pretty darn good. I think he is a FA we will see if we sign him or not???

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Ballpeen #1591716 02/12/19 12:44 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P

I don't see it. As of now he's what, the third or fourth choice on the team at TE? He will never be featured above a talented TE. Let's look at the Browns alone. We drafted Njoku. If Devlave had the ability to be a feature type player, why was Njoku drafted and played ahead of him?

Devlave is a stop gap TE at best. He's the kind of player you use until you can find an upgrade at he position. We found an upgrade in blocking with Charles and a better actual offensive weapon in Njoku.

IMO- Devalve will be lucky to have a roster spot here in the fall.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1591720 02/12/19 12:53 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't doubt he will have long odds to make the team. Injuries have hurt him.

I still think if a team uses him correctly, he can be a good player in the league. He has good hands and finds ways to get open.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fullback

Link Copied to Clipboard