C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C

For those of you wondering what it takes to get a millenial into baseball? At least 2 million a year.

Legend
Legend
If it were me, I'd probably choose baseball. Bigger money, better guarantees, less/no contact, longer career probability and you play mostly in the summer. However, being a QB for an NFL team would be rad.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Legend
Legend
M
Smart. He'll make more guaranteed money in the short term going the NFL route.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Murray will probably on the first two QBs taken. He obviously likes football more. Good for him.

(The Athletics are getting royall screwed, but they knew the risk.)

F
Legend
Legend
F
How come he only had to return 1.29 of the 1.5 mil?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
If it were me, I'd probably choose baseball. Bigger money, better guarantees, less/no contact, longer career probability and you play mostly in the summer. However, being a QB for an NFL team would be rad.

It's certainly interesting. On one hand, every skill player who has signed a contract extension always expresses that he'd rather play baseball instead. Now Kyler plays at the most expensive position in football not in baseball. There's also the question of if baseball can survive paying players 200 mil over a few years with a dying fan base. By the time Murray is ready for a big contract, there's a good chance that baseball is the 3rd most popular spring/summer sport with soccer and other football leagues taking into its market share.

Legend
Legend

Kyler Murray is listed as 5'11"
Dwayne Haskins is listed as 6'3"

Does it really look like, from chin to top of head, that Haskins whole head is only 4 inches in height?

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Murray should have picked baseball..He's 5'8 if he's 10ft. I guess this is his choice, and baseball could be a fall back.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
Legend
D
GREAT NEWS if he goes before 17 ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Smart move... he try football.. if he bombs he goes back to baseball in a few years...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Potential overall income..................NFL quarterback or MLB outfielder?

The choice was easy.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Add to that the life of a minor league player is BRUTAL and i mean BRUTAL ....

A ball and double A ball are absolutely brutal lifestyles ... triple a is better but it ain’t no picnic either ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Exactly.

Riding busses vs flying first class. No contest.

And then, the dude will make more in endorsement money in the NFL than he will make in salary.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Smart move... he try football.. if he bombs he goes back to baseball in a few years...

He should've pulled a Brandon Weeden and go to be an NFL QB after he has an aggravated elbow injury that forces him to retire from the MLB.'

I know we have Baker, and maybe it's from the pain of never experiencing a franchise QB before or the calls for BPA, but if he's there at 17, I seriously consider taking him. I think Murray will be a good football player depending on where he goes.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I know we have Baker, and maybe it's from the pain of never experiencing a franchise QB before or the calls for BPA, but if he's there at 17, I seriously consider taking him. I think Murray will be a good football player depending on where he goes.

Knight of Brown, is that you?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

The choice was easy.

Depends on how good he is. Giancarlo Stanton got $325 million fully guaranteed. An above-average MLB outfielder makes a little less per year than an NFL QB.

I think Murray chose football because he prefers football. Coming out of high school he refused entry into the MLB draft and now this latest decision.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Go back in his thread and check who wanted to draft Kyler Murray. Let's just say that my plan is slowly coming to fruition.

I don't want to say I'm an evil mastermind, but...

C
Legend
Legend
C

Go back in his thread and check who wanted to draft Kyler Murray. Let's just say that my plan is slowly coming to fruition.

I don't want to say I'm an evil mastermind, but...

I would say you are not very smart if you draft another QB in the first round.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
The evil genius part kicks in when I line him up at RB.

Back to Madden to see what he looks like as a WR instead tongue

C
Legend
Legend
C
The evil genius part kicks in when I line him up at RB.

Evil because he would die? He probably weights like 180 pounds.

V
Legend
Legend
V

The choice was easy.

Depends on how good he is. Giancarlo Stanton got $325 million fully guaranteed. An above-average MLB outfielder makes a little less per year than an NFL QB.

I think Murray chose football because he prefers football. Coming out of high school he refused entry into the MLB draft and now this latest decision.

I think you should read this:

Quote:

Ask BA: Financially Kyler Murray Would Do Better In The NFL

By J.J. Cooper on December 6, 2018

UPDATE (2/11): Murray announced on Twitter he is committing himself to entering the NFL Draft and playing football. Here is a list of Kyler Murray FAQs and the accompanying answers now that he won't be reporting to spring training.

Q: Is playing both football and baseball professionally a viable option for Kyler Murray?
-- Doug @hdouglasotto

J.J. Cooper: Because Murray is a quarterback, I would say no. If Murray were a running back (like Bo Jackson) or a cornerback (like Deion Sanders) a job-sharing role might be possible, even though no player has done it more than 25 years. Talent is talent, though, and teams are willing to put up with a lot for the chance to put an impact player on the field. But those are positions where players can step in and play with less practice time. Quarterback is such a repetition- and study-based position that it’s hard to envision any NFL team being willing to make a part-time player a starting quarterback. For baseball, Murray is already behind in at-bats compared to his peers. Splitting time would make that even more difficult. From that standpoint, he would likely be better off focusing on one sport.

Murray has publicly said that his plan remains to join the A’s for spring training next season. And there are plenty of logical reasons to stick to that plan—baseball players have a much lower risk of a significant injury and do not have the significant long-term health issues that often come from playing football.

Ultimately, the decision is Murray's, but nothing in his baseball contract with the A’s precludes him from deciding to play football instead of baseball. Looking at Murray’s decision from a purely financial standpoint (we have no clear insight into which sport he prefers to play), it’s clear that football would be a more lucrative decision if he is a first-round talent.

At any other football position, this argument is flipped. NFL careers are too short, injuries are too common and the players’ pay pales in comparison to baseball players. But with quarterbacks, it pays to play in the NFL.

Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

In football, Murray is consistently projected as a first-round pick. His college teammate Baker Mayfield landed a $21.8 million signing bonus and over $32 million in guaranteed money by being the No. 1 pick in last year’s draft (all contract information here has been gathered from Spotrac.com). And if he plays reasonably well, Mayfield will get a big payday as a free agent after the 2022 season. Even if he signed a five-year extension, Mayfield would hit free agency again in 2028 for a second big payday.

But that’s a best-case scenario. Let’s say instead that Murray lasted until the final pick in the first round. Quarterback Lamar Jackson was picked in that spot last year, and is now starting for the Ravens.

Even in Jackson’s case, he will do significantly better financially as the 32nd pick in the NFL draft than Murray did as the ninth pick in the baseball draft. Jackson signed a nearly $5 million signing bonus and is guaranteed more than $7.5 million even if the Ravens cut him tomorrow. That is almost $3 million more than Murray’s baseball contract. Jackson will make an average of more than $1.1 million a season over the first four seasons of his NFL career. The Ravens can keep him for the 2022 season by exercising a fifth-year option at a significant raise (likely $10 million or more). And then, having earned $20 million or more, he would be eligible for free agency after the 2022 season.

So if Murray gets drafted anywhere in the first round, he will earn somewhere between two and seven times as much money over the next five years in football than he will in baseball. If Murray is even an average NFL quarterback, he will make more than he will as anything other than an All-Star outfielder.

A few years ago, we looked at comparing Jeff Samardzija, a wide receiver/pitcher who chose baseball, to Calvin Johnson, a wide receiver/outfielder who chose football. At the time we noted that even though Johnson was one of the best in the NFL and Samardzija was simply a solid MLB pitcher, Samardzija was likely to out-earn Johnson.

The opposite is true with quarterbacks. Quarterbacks in the NFL are so well compensated that average NFL starters can compete with the paydays received by MLB stars. There are five active MLB outfielders who have earned $125 million or more in their careers. There are five active NFL quarterbacks who have earned more than $200 million in their careers. Unlike other NFL positions, quarterback is one where quality players have better longevity than baseball. MLB teams are hesitant to give large free-agent deals to players over 30 and especially any player over 35. NFL teams regularly hand out massive contracts to quarterbacks in their mid-30s.

The list of extremely well-paid mediocre quarterbacks is lengthy. Mark Sanchez has earned $74 million. Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles, 26, has already earned $40 million. Chase Daniel has been a nine-year backup. He’s earned $28 million. Matt Cassel started for four-and-a-half seasons in a 14-year career. He’s earned over $60 million. In comparison, center fielder Adam Eaton has been a 4.0 or better WAR player in three seasons. At the end of his current contract in 2021, he'll be 32 years old and will have earned $43 million. He's unlikely to land another massive free agent contract. A career like Eaton's would be a solid outcome for any rising outfielder, but it can't compare to the payoff of being an NFL quarterback.
New_Cover.jpg
2019 College Baseball Season Preview

All of our preview material in one place, ranging from the preseason Top 25, All-Americans, conference previews, predictions, in-depth features and more.

To offer one more comparison, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and Dodgers lefthander Clayton Kershaw grew up together. Kershaw has been one of the best players in baseball over the past decade. Generously, Stafford could be described as a slightly above-average NFL quarterback. He’s made one Pro Bowl. In 10 seasons, Stafford has earned $178 million. If he plays the final four years of his current contract, he’ll have earned over $262 million. Kershaw has earned $173 million so far over 11 seasons. He will earn $266 million by the end of his current deal in 2021.

Both players are 30 years old, but because he’s a quarterback, there’s a good chance Stafford’s career will last longer than Kershaw’s. In 2018, seven of the NFL’s 32 starting quarterbacks are 35 or older. Four are 37 or older. Of the 196 pitchers and hitters who qualified for the ERA or batting title last season, 11 were 35 or older. Only three were 37 or older.

Murray will have a big decision to make going forward. But MLB’s decision to put a hard limit on draft bonuses and prohibit major league contracts for two-sport stars as draftees makes it hard for baseball to compete financially when it comes to quarterbacks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/ask-ba-financially-kyler-murray-would-do-better-in-the-nfl/

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

Probably pro-rated in some way. Man, I wish I had a few hundred thousand my last year of college. cool

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baseball is highly competitive and honestly hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do. Football has skills that can be taught much easier than hitting. Speed is important to both sports but carries more weight in football than baseball.

I think he is a better QB than Lamar Jackson. Durability will be an issue. Although statistically I believe he did better than Baker but he is no where as accurate as Baker is as a QB and I believe Baker has a better understanding of defenses and pre snap reads. So I don't think it is even close to Baker as a QB. Question is can he make the transition to NFL QB would he take on the task of WR like an Edelmen did or if that is his recourse will he easily leave NFL football and pursue his Baseball career which will always be open to him.

What is the plan - Play football for 5 years or 2 contracts. Then for health reasons move on back to Baseball. I know it will be virtually impossible for him to linger in Minor leagues cause he cannot learn to hit a curve ball. Coming back to the NFL will not be possible, so history tells us.

He will be the shortest and smallest as he is not thick at all. His longevity will be at WR not QB. Of course we don't even know if the kid can catch...lol laugh

Draft boards do show him being the first or second QB taken. He does have a strong arm. Curious on his hand size? I would not mind us taking him if he is still there in the 3rd round (which I doubt). I don't wish him to be going to the Ravens...that is the only team I see being a great fit for him.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think he is thicker than you may think and being a baseball player (a good one), I think he is much more accurate than you are giving him credit for as well, EO.

As a centerfielder, his ball skills are probably excellent - hands as well.

Hitting a baseball is probably the hardest thing to do in sports.

I think he will be a very good QB - much better arm talent than Jackson and perhaps even more athletic. Height is his only ding in my estimation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I will say he will be better than Jackson but not much more, average at best, and if a team takes him (and one will) in the Top 10 it will be out of pure desperation ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I will say he will be better than Jackson but not much more, average at best, and if a team takes him (and one will) in the Top 10 it will be out of pure desperation ... JMHO

He's a far superior QB than Jackson will ever be.

He's not half the runner that Jackson is and will be.

Strange comparison.

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Hammer
I think he is thicker than you may think and being a baseball player (a good one), I think he is much more accurate than you are giving him credit for as well, EO.

As a centerfielder, his ball skills are probably excellent - hands as well.

Hitting a baseball is probably the hardest thing to do in sports.

I think he will be a very good QB - much better arm talent than Jackson and perhaps even more athletic. Height is his only ding in my estimation.

Actually taped almost all his games. The Accuracy is a tricky one cause we are talking a lot of all day in time. We are talking about a lot of big windows, tricky cause Baker experienced them also.

But my first impression was that I was actually impressed with his accuracy. Then as the season went along and I'm looking at him as a NFL QB forget about his size. When I sate accuracy I was doing so in comparison of Baker as the data base of college was similar. I am talking about Way more accurate that Allen and Jackson. Even a little more accurate than Darnold and better arm strength than Darnold. About even with Rosen in accuracy.

Thick... actually you might be right...All depends on what he specs out at the combine. But right now he is listed at 195 lbs. Which for his height is pretty thick. The height thing is going to be the issue. But actually Baker made inroads in that as being just under 6'1" Normally dropping a QB prospect to the later of the first or even 2nd round. Was not only top 5 but the overall #1 pick so that I think he just broke an NFL snob barrier on height regarding being an NFL QB.

I really feel bad for Doug Flutie, just in the wrong ERA maybe not 1st round but he would have been taken in the 2nd for sure and maybe first. The kid was talented.

Hitting really is one of the hardest and why some never get out of Minor Leagues because of that..usually due to the lack of hitting a Curve and slider. Split finger nobody really earned a living hitting that pitch...lol laugh Most can catch up to a fastball even of the 98-100 mph variety of the current age.

We actually agree almost to the tee. I was miss leading in my claim to accuracy. I was talking of the high % he had in college to be tranfered to NFL...I think Baker is able to but Murray possibly in that 60+% bracket. He deeper passes have some flaws including the Deep Out. Curious how he does in his workouts. If I was a team that needed a QB and pick 10-15 is where we were at. I would definitely pull a flyer on the kid Much more so than Manziel for sure. Will he have a Mahomes type of result. Dang that height is a tough one. Baker is just at the limits of a problem for the pocket he does get over...I think he drops back deep enough to see and he has that real good 6th sense in the POCKET that Murray the better runner and scrambler but not that in the pocket slide and hitch for an accurate completed pass.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I am not saying I believe this "conclusion" to be true, but people are trying to draw some conclusions based on different pieces of evidence.

1. Arizona's new HC, Kliff Kingsbury, said that he would take Kyler Murray w/the first pick in the draft.

2. As we know, Murray just recently chose football over baseball. I posted an article about the economics of being a qb chosen in the first round of the draft.

3. Kyler Murray just hired the same agent as Kliff Kingsbury.

4. Murray played in an offense that is similar to Oklahoma's.

5. People are pointing to the success of these types of qbs finding success in the NFL and that height isn't as important as it was just a few years ago.

Media types are running w/those three events and the other two beliefs and are saying that the Cardinals are going to select Murray w/the first overall pick and trade Rosen.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but Kingsbury made those comments in October, which is long before he knew he would be coaching the Cardinals and that they would have the first overall pick in the draft. Kingsbury just addressed the speculation and said something like "Josh is our guy."

Lot's and lot's of drama! smile

Legend
Legend
Like all players, "[Player X] is our guy" ..... until he isn't.

I still have a feeling that the Cards will draft Murray, and trade Rosen to either the Giants or Redskins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

Probably pro-rated in some way. Man, I wish I had a few hundred thousand my last year of college. cool

probably, but still odd to me.

Wonder if I can borrow 1.5 mil from the bank and then a few months later decide I don't need it and only return 1.29 of it. wink

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:
Dang that height is a tough one. Baker is just at the limits of a problem for the pocket he does get over...I think he drops back deep enough to see and he has that real good 6th sense in the POCKET that Murray the better runner and scrambler but not that in the pocket slide and hitch for an accurate completed pass.

As an avid OU fan, I can attest that Murray is everything that Baker is as far the "in the pocket slide," throwing an accurate pass thing goes. And more.....

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Yes, it was VERY similar, lol.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Murray BROKE Baker's records at OU, and with the same TALL O-line. This height thing is overblown. They are both masters at reading defenses, and creating, or taking the throwing lanes necessary

Plus, imagine how the D goes nuts trying to see HIM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Compared to Rosen's collegiate offense it was. And get your snarky attitude out of my face. LOL

Btw........none of that stuff came from me. I was re-telling the things media people are talking about. I made it quite clear what my opinion was and that opinion was that none of those talking points mean that the Cardinals will draft Murray number one.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 02/13/19 08:30 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Murray BROKE Baker's records at OU, and with the same TALL O-line. This height thing is overblown. They are both masters at reading defenses, and creating, or taking the throwing lanes necessary

Plus, imagine how the D goes nuts trying to see HIM.

Reading defenses? Care to expound on that one?

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Compared to Rosen's collegiate offense it was. And get your snarky attitude out of my face. LOL

Btw........none of that stuff came from me. I was re-telling the things media people are talking about. I made it quite clear what my opinion was and that opinion was that none of those talking points mean that the Cardinals will draft Murray number one.

On the radio today, they were saying that even Bidwell is saying no way they trade Rosen. Just the opposite, that they want to build around him.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I think the media guys took the info I listed and ran w/it. I am not saying that Murray won't go to the Cards, but I think the odds of it aren't that good despite the indicators they have pointed to.

One thing I need to expound on is that they keep saying Kingsbury said he would take Murray number one in the draft. Well, it was in October. No one knew the Cards would hire him or that they would have the first overall pick at the time. The media dudes aren't mentioning that. It's kind of deceiving.

Legend
Legend
Plus kingsbury is not the gm.... I'd be shocked if they take hm number one.....

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Quote:

Yes, it was VERY similar, lol.

Almost as if they had the playbook.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
agreed on your take of the new era in the NFL. Didn't know that about Kingsbury's claim he thought Murray was worthy of the overall #1 if he was picking. Thank you for clarifying the time of that statement. Cat out of the bag or will he change his mind. Just one thing I believe was a typo of some sort maybe you would correct it or possibly you have done in a later post. You stated:

Well not only similar but was Oklahoma's QB so a little confusing but get that in some way you are saying that his O in Oklahoma was similar to the Offense Philosophies of Kingsbury.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Kyler Murray Picks Football over Baseball

Link Copied to Clipboard