DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PresidentDawg2 The backup QB - 03/07/19 07:14 PM
Once the most popular position on the team, no longer thanks to #6. However we still appear to have a need now that Tyrod is out the door. While Mayfield looks like real deal this is the NFL and injuries happen. Here's how some of our options breakdown:

Keep what you already have:

Drew Stanton - Stanton has been a backup/spot starter before. Results have been meh but that's why he's been a career backup. Baker has credited him with being a great mentor which is why I think he should stay #3 on the depth chart. He'll be 35 at season start. I would not want to go into a game relying on Stanton to lead us to victory. Only reason I see having him be the backup at season start is if we draft a mid to late round QB.

The free agents:

The unlikely candidates- Foles, Bridgewater and Tyrod all in my opinion will be looking for a place to start (Washington, Miami, Jacksonville) or stay where they're currently at and hope to succeed the current starter (New Orleans).

Ryan Fitzpatrick- I think this is the best option. He'll be 36 when the season starts but he's shown that unlike Stanton he can play at a high level for stretches. HE is also coming from Todd Monken's offense in Tampa Bay and could aid in the transition on offense. HE could also be an option as a bridge to a QB needy team but he's #1 on my list.

Sam Bradford- Oh my how far you can fall in a season. Last offseason after losing his job in Minnesota to Case Keenum, Bradford signed a 1 year 20 million dollar deal (15mil guaranteed) to replace Carson Palmer and lead the Cardinals while Josh Rosen developed. That lasted three games where his play was abysmal before being replaced by Rosen. But then again even after his benching the offense just looked horrible overall. He was cut after eight games. This year it looks like he'll be seeking a backup role. Injuries will always be a concern but for a backup QB he's solid and could step in and spot start when called upon. Besides you can't have too many Heisman winning number one pick QB's from Oklahoma on your roster. Number 2 on my list.

The Rest of the group- RG3, Tom Savage, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown, Brett Hundley, Josh Johnson, Mark Sanchez...this is a pretty weak QB free agent class overall. Geno and Brock I could live with as backups but I don't see many of these guys being much better than Stanton. I like McCown but his age and the fact Stanton is already mentoring Baker will have me pass.

Trade or late releases:

The only name I've really heard floated out there is Ryan Tannehill who'd I'd be thrilled if we got as a backup but I think he'll be going to Washington if traded. If he is released I think he goes somewhere he has the chance to start or takeover for a QB on his last chance (it ain't here). I'm sure this offseason a few more veteran QB's will be available but as far as trades I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th round pick for one.

Draft a backup:

Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones and Drew Lock are seen as potential starters and will be taken too high to validate taking a backup that high. Besides them Ryan Finley, Will Grier, Clayton Thorson or Jarrett Stidham could be mid-round picks with the potential to backup Mayfield. A Tyree Jackson or Brett Rypien could be later round picks but I think more suited for 3rd string at least their first season. Its hard to say with rookies though. Without a solid veteran also in the mix this is a risky path but one that could pay dividends later.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:06 PM
I like the idea of Fitz, but doubt it will happen. Two names I think should be on your list of possible late round/UDFA picks are Gardner Minshew and Trace McSorley.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:16 PM

I'm good with Stanton... And draft one later who we can stash on the PS.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:16 PM
Bring back McCown!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:21 PM
We will use a late round pick on a backup QB.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:24 PM
Fitz would only lead to a beard growing contest.
Posted By: Hammer Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:30 PM
Stanton stays. Draft Minchew or McSorley.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Exactly this, but perhaps bring in an UDFA unless there is someone that just HAS to be drafted because they are BPA at that point (5th or later).
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 09:27 PM
Baker
Stanton

Practice Squad QB, who can be brought up is something were to happen to Baker.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 09:46 PM
j/c

What i think we would need to do is to have a back-up that fits into the offense we're running. Where we don't have to change the play calling or make the team adjust to the change. I think that will limit the possibilities of many on some people's list.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 10:26 PM
Case Keenum
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Case Keenum

Supposedly headed to Washington
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/07/19 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I agree. The guy was been a decent back-up for a good while. Then draft one late or sign as a UDFA to develop for a year or two when Stanton retires.

Here is my deal with a back-up QB. I am looking for a guy who can play a few series, maybe half a game, and maybe even a game or two worst case.

Finding a back-up who can carry half a season is rare. It's pure luck. Who knows, maybe Stanton can do that...I think he has a winning record when he starts.

If Bake goes down, we are screwed no matter who we have.

I will say I like to carry 3 QB's on gameday. Surely we can give up one special team roster spot to keep 3 QB's active.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 02:40 AM
I really liked the way your formatted your post. Very professional. thumbsup
Posted By: sham63 Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Fitz would only lead to a beard growing contest.

Baker can learn from him.

Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 02:56 AM
If Stanton stays, does Baker make him bring the RV?

Great post OP.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 11:30 AM
Stanton might be the senior guy in the clubhouse. You can't make him do anything or he'll fine you.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 12:52 PM
Fitz would be ideal, but I doubt he comes here ... he'll get more money/chance to play elsewhere
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 01:03 PM
The "right" backup QB situation is dependent upon what you have at QB1...and for more enlightenment, today is Friday.

All young QB1s can benefit from a mentor of some sort and for some time. Need? Maybe. The skill, talent and ability of that mentor is the key. If the QB1 appears to be the real deal - ala Baker - I prefer a vet QB2 and a developmental guy at QB3. I'd also prefer that vet QB2 be a guy who has been a starter in the league - even if for a short time - and knows he is now a backup. (Think Charlie Batch). He's a guy who can win more than a few games and keep things moving. If he were good enough to win over the long-haul, he'd be a starter somewhere...but with the QB1 in place, the backup has to be good enough to win enough to keep your team in the hunt.

Fitz and Keenum are/were at the top of that list for me - if I'm being reasonable. Stanton is on that list too...but not at the top of that list. Fitz at QB2 and Stanton at QB3 is redundant...Keenum at QB2 and Stanton at QB3 is not redundant. (I know the Keenum ship has sailed...thinking more of the Keenum-type with age, experience and ability.)

If your QB1 is very developmental - ala Kizer - the backup should not be a developmental guy in his own right (like we had the year before last). The QB2 should be a guy who can start and finish out the year if the developmental QB1 gets off the rails...winning is less important than keeping the ship afloat. (Think Blake Bortles...and probably Tyrod Taylor.) QB3 in this instance should probably NOT be a developmental guy either. (Think Drew Stanton and a slew of old guys who hopefully never see the filed.)

Trevor Simien (with Keenum out) is a guy I'd like to see with Baker as QB1 and Stanton as QB3. It buys Stanton another year before he becomes a coach...gives Simien a mentor who is not a HOF-God...and gives us a guy who can win more-than-a-few games. QB4 can then be a developmental guy on the PS...could even be a two year thing.

Once QB1 is seasoned and QB2 is a real veteran...QB3 should not be the old guy anymore and should be the developmental guy. If Stanton had Fitz' ability, we could go developmental right now at QB3...but he doesn't.

I think it would be a big mistake to go Baker-Stanton-Developmental guy when we think our playoff window is opening. We need a QB2 who can win while an ankle or finger heals up. If we think keeping Stanton on board is best for Baker's development, I think we should be out of the running for a developmental guy (other than on the PS) and need a real QB2 while Stanton remains at QB3. JMO.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 02:13 PM
Keep Drew draft Rypien.
Posted By: BpG Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 02:23 PM
If Baker goes down, unless we are 6-2, I think it's tank time anyway. Teams don't win with their backups QB's unless you're the Eagles.
Posted By: eotab Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 04:29 PM
Draft a backup...for me its Gardner Minshew II
Posted By: PresidentDawg2 Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 07:47 PM
Another name I forgot to mention, if Blake Bortles is released is he a guy we look at as a potential backup? I think he may go someplace he thinks he can start but the thought intrigues me.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 07:54 PM
I feel like finding a "place to start" is a little thin this year.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 08:40 PM
With our new OC, Fitz ssems to be the perfect match.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/08/19 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: PresidentDawg2
Another name I forgot to mention, if Blake Bortles is released is he a guy we look at as a potential backup? I think he may go someplace he thinks he can start but the thought intrigues me.

I think Bortles would be a great backup if he's willing to accept the role. QBs that run around replacing QBs that don't run around throw defenses off a ton.

I've said it a bunch of times before, but we need someone better than Stanton. He's terrible. Like among the worst backups in the league terrible. If he has to play, we lose. Obviously if Baker is long term, we are screwed either way. But keeping the team afloat if the QB only misses a few games should be the goal, Drew Stanton cannot do that. Blake Bortles might be able.
Posted By: PresidentDawg2 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 06:48 AM
After today's trade I think this position becomes even more important (and appealing). If Baker goes down I think we still have the talent to compete, but as I've said earlier I'm not a fan of rolling out Drew Stanton and hoping for success. Maybe he proves me wrong if the time comes but I think we need a solid backup: Fitz, Bradford, Bortles or hell maybe even convince Tyrod to hang around a little longer.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 07:52 AM
Keep Drew Stanton and draft a QB in one of the later rounds. Pick up a UDFA right after the draft too. Always a good idea to have some young arms around. Especially in camp.

Never know, might find the next Mark Brunell. Belichick always has a couple young QB's around. Then he trades them and gets more.
Posted By: mac Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 11:45 AM
Having a solid #2 qb is a must, imo.

QBs do get hurt and sidelined every year and hopefully Dorsey and Fred are planning for such a scenario. Might be that Stanton fits our backup needs...if not, we may need to address the backup QB situation soon.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 11:56 AM
With the moves we've made, the backup position does need changed/improved from Stanton. A guy that fulfills the mentor role ain't gonna cut it. We gotta have a guy in there that can bring it for a few games.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 12:35 PM
I look at the moves we have made the past 2 years to mean we are all in, if not for this year, at least by next year for a deep playoff run.

I don't know that much about Stanton so I yield to the front office for that determination. If they are OK with then I guess I am.

However, we MUST have a reliable backup. Stuff happens, and it doesn't even have to be a big hit in a game. Guys get hurt in practice, innocently tripped on the sideline going out of bounds, appendicitis.. Remember Dalton in our game last year? Bad snap, he goes to recover and suffers a hand injury ending his season.

I have to believe the FO is working on a plan. IF not they are negligent and I doubt that very much.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 12:37 PM
All things being equal, I think it could be this year. The talent is there.
Posted By: eotab Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
Having a solid #2 qb is a must, imo.

QBs do get hurt and sidelined every year and hopefully Dorsey and Fred are planning for such a scenario. Might be that Stanton fits our backup needs...if not, we may need to address the backup QB situation soon.

Not laughing at you mac...just in general. For 20 years we couldn't get one Solid QB and now we are saying we "MUST" have 2...lol

Oh I get what you all are saying but still think its pretty funny.

For me as stated the perfect back up will be Gardner Minshew.

jmho
Posted By: Tymaster Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 04:25 PM
This is now a legitimate Super Bowl team, with all due respect to Drew Stanton, the team needs a back up that can still win games with the talent around the offense. Sign Blake Bortles. Draft Gardner Minshew. If Stanton can beat either one in preseason, he stays on.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 04:47 PM
Mike Glennon is available, as a player he would be an upgrade on Stanton.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 05:17 PM
I side with Dorsey on this: our Backup QB is fine; even moreso than ever, now. Even Drew Stanton can go pass-happy with this offense.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PresidentDawg2
Draft a backup:

I haven't looked at the QBs one bit in this draft class. Anyone konw where Will Grier (WVU) is expected to go? I believe the "experts" had him in the second tier of this QB class but I don't think I have heard much since he skipped out on WVU's bowl game.

I did a lot of growing up in WV and always root for the Mountaineers.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I side with Dorsey on this: our Backup QB is fine; even moreso than ever, now. Even Drew Stanton can go pass-happy with this offense.

Even so, you need young arms in camp. It never hurts to draft a guy and bring him along. If nothing else it gives you trade bait for the future.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 05:54 PM
If Stanton plays all these new toys are order. We need a backup.
Posted By: PresidentDawg2 Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 06:21 PM
I've seen Stanton start/play and I've seen his stats. I am not impressed in the least. Maybe he has matured and through time and experience has gotten better (ala Josh McCown), but history shows the older you get the more your skill set breaks down.

Now I'll give you this, he somehow finds a way to win. His career record is 11-6. That being said his career numbers have him at a 52% completion rating and a QB rating of 66.3. He's had Calvin Johnson in Detroit and Larry Fitz in Arizona to throw to; he's had weapons his whole career.

I'll trust Dorsey if he says Stanton can hold down the backup spot. I would just feel much more comfortable if he stayed as QB#3 and played only in an absolute emergency. If he does stay as the backup drafting a mid-late round QB becomes a must for me.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 06:30 PM
I'm fine with Stanton because of his rapport with Baker, but I really would like to see the Browns draft a more long term BU to groom for the future. I think Minchew would be perfect, or McSorley would do well in that role.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 07:55 PM
Maybe we can trade our 7th to New York for Kyle Lauletta smile

Not really, but it would be humorous.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I agree. Stanton is the back-up this year. Maybe next.

I can see us drafting a QB in round 5-6 to groom for a year or two until Stanton retires.

Stanton has a winning record as a back-up. I don't know what the heck else some people want? Style points I guess.

Drew Stanton is a solid back-up.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 11:09 PM
I'd like to see Fitzmagic here. He already knows the offense and did really well in it. I'm not hearing about any other teams speaking to him yet.
Posted By: jfanent Re: The backup QB - 03/13/19 11:25 PM
Per NFL Network, Tyrod is going to back up Rivers in LA.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 03:29 PM

There are tons of things we don’t know, but Taylor is barely making more than Drew Stanton in 2019. I would have loved to have Taylor back on the above terms.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 03:32 PM
Yeah, I figured he'd get around 5 a year. I would have liked to keep him as well, but maybe he didn't want to stay
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah, I figured he'd get around 5 a year. I would have liked to keep him as well, but maybe he didn't want to stay

You guys go from starter to back-up mid season, it's probably best to move on.
Posted By: eotab Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 04:12 PM
Tymaster...whether a rookie beats out Stanton as the #2 or not. Stanton STAYS his mentoring is very important for us and for the growth of Baker and said Rookie QB. He just might not be the #2 and will remain on the sidelines with the Baseball cap on. wink

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 04:17 PM
It's always possible, but I doubt a mid-late round rookie, if even drafted would beat out Stanton.
Posted By: Hammer Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:31 PM
AJ McCarron now available.
Posted By: Dave Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:36 PM
If Mayfield gets a concussion, or a thigh strain and can't go for a week or two, I guess we'd be okay with Stanton. But I'd feel a lot more confident if it was Fitz.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:45 PM
I agree Dave. I want someone better than Stanton, though I'm not sure that's likely
Posted By: Dave Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree Dave. I want someone better than Stanton, though I'm not sure that's likely

Well, if we're going "all in", it seems short-sighted to half-ass the backup QB position and, I might add, the kicker position. We should be looking to upgrade everything, IMO. We have the cap space to address contingencies, and we should - again, IMO.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:52 PM
j/c:

cfrs brought this up earlier, but would anyone be interested in Blake Bortles?

He is a good runner and did play in the AFC Championship game. He actually played very well in last year's playoffs.

He isn't very good, but he wouldn't be a bad backup, in my opinion.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:55 PM
I'm not sure who all is available ... or who Kitchens would think fits best with our plan
Posted By: bonefish Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:57 PM

Bortles would be fine but I think he will get a better deal from another team.

Posted By: Dave Re: The backup QB - 03/14/19 11:57 PM
I like Fitz better than Bortles, but I like both of them better than Stanton. I'm just not sure Bortles has resigned himself to the fact that his future in the league is as a backup. In other words, he still thinks he's a starter.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:02 AM
You and bonefish are probably right. Just throwing a name out there to get back to football. I kinda lost my cool on another thread. LOL
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

I trust that we are still having a problem with the fax machine... naughtydevil
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:09 AM
I would like to use one of our 3 5th round selections on a rookie QB #3.
Posted By: Dave Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:16 AM
Just to be clear, if Mayfield were to go down for an extended period of time, it probably wouldn't matter as much who the backup was. But if its a short-term injury, and we are a playoff contender, I want a guy who can win a game or two to keep us in contention until Baker comes back.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:41 AM
j/c

Bortles or Simien would fit well with Stanton at #3. I struggle with Fitz and then Stanton as the #3.
Posted By: Dave Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 12:47 AM
I guess I would concede that Fitz vs Bortles is debateable, but not Simien, IMO.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:12 AM
Has Stanton ever been on a good team? Just having one guy, even as good as Fitz or Megatron, does not outweigh a crap line or no running game.
Posted By: jfanent Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

I'll bet we can get him a whole lot cheaper than what Hue was willing to give up.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 03:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

He is a good runner and did play in the AFC Championship game. He actually played very well in last year's playoffs.

I would be ok w that. He would need to be willing to accept a backup role, not sure if that reality has sunk in.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Lol!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Bortles would be fine but I think he will get a better deal from another team.

Tyrod Taylor was one of the best backups on the market and he got $6 million. I don't see how Bortles gets more than that.

I wouldn't mind Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Trevor Siemian.

I've said it a bunch of times. If Baker goes down long term, we are screwed. If he only misses a game or two then a below average backup can hold the fort for a couple games (especially with the weapons we have). If Drew Stanton plays, we lose. He's that bad.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 03:45 AM
11-6 as a starter.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 04:04 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
11-6 as a starter.

A perfect example why won/loss record is a horrible way to judge a QBs talent.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 04:29 AM
He's a backup for a reason, yes. That's not very complicated.

But you said he can't win and I pointed out that, as a starter, he's won more than he's lost.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 04:46 AM

But you said he can't win and I pointed out that, as a starter, he's won more than he's lost.

His team won more than they lost. Stanton was just along for the ride.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

His team won more than they lost. Stanton was just along for the ride.

To further hammer home the point, here is a list of all Stanton's starts where his team won:

http://pfref.com/tiny/tMwd3

His team averaged 20 points per game in wins. The Detroit Lions were 25th in the NFL in points per game with 20.

His team's defense in those starts gave up an average of 12 points per game. 12! To put that into context, the great 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense gave up ten points per game.

So yes, if we are going to have an all-time great defense (we won't), start Drew Stanton. Just in case we don't have an all-time great defense, I would prefer to sign someone who can be at least competent at completing passes. That person is not Drew Stanton as he has only completed 52% of his passes when his team wins (which would be dead last in the NFL, among qualified passes, behind Josh Allen).

It will be a epic failure if we have this very talented team and our QB gets hurt and Drew Stanton is the guy that comes in to try and win games. It would be like giving a Ferrari to a person who can't reach the pedals of the car.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 10:31 AM
Yep.

Take a game away from either the win total or the loss total to make it a season, you have playoff caliber play.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:07 PM
What I saw of Stanton last preseason, against backups, he was downright horrible. Kizer or Kessler would be a major upgrade.

Sure he's a good mentor for Baker but we need to get one of those late-round prospects we can groom for a few years, let'em look good in some 4th-quarter mop-up duty, then get another one and trade the kid for some high picks to some poor schmucks who are desperate.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:12 PM
103 TD's, 75 INT's..

he's gonna want big $...

That's a combination I can't support.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:29 PM
j/c:

I was just thinking about this today. Bortles makes a TON of sense if he can be had on a reasonable contract. He has started a lot of games and as you mentioned he has playoff experience.

I think people aren't thinking about a scenario where Baker has to miss extended time (4-6 games). If Stanton is that guy you probably miss the playoffs........Bortles can split those games and put you in a position to be where you want to be.

Backup QB matters a lot in this league, and I don't trust Stanton to win football games at this point.
Posted By: BigDawgDeWeese Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:37 PM
ideally i would like fitz, but given his credentials i think his asking price would be too much. the more likely scenario has been brought up of roll with stanton, draft mcsorley

for the record id take bortles too hes trash as a full time starter but could win a few games god forbid baker goes down
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 01:51 PM
You and bonefish are probably right. Just throwing a name out there to get back to football. I kinda lost my cool on another thread. LOL

I like the idea. Not that he's great but he has playoff experience which you can't say for most available guys.

Maybe if he goes a couple weeks with no acceptable offers, he would accept a backup situation.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: The backup QB - 03/15/19 02:21 PM
Bradford actually might not be a bad option depending on his contract demands. I wouldn't want to rely on him for a full season, but as a 1-2 week fill-in he could be good.

I'd much rather have him than Bortles.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The backup QB - 03/16/19 01:02 PM
cfrs mentioned Sam Bradford earlier. He might be a very good acquisition if we could get him at a fair price.

Bradford isn't very durable and he lack fire, but he can sling the rock. With all the talent we have on offense, there is no doubt he could win games w/this team.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The backup QB - 03/16/19 10:04 PM
cfrs mentioned Sam Bradford earlier. He might be a very good acquisition if we could get him at a fair price.

Bradford isn't very durable and he lack fire, but he can sling the rock. With all the talent we have on offense, there is no doubt he could win games w/this team.

Geez that's a good point, now that I think about it.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: The backup QB - 03/16/19 10:16 PM

Forgot all about him, not a bad idea if he he is willing to come at a decent price (he may considering he's been collecting some pretty fat checks as of late lol)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The backup QB - 03/16/19 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Forgot all about him, not a bad idea if he he is willing to come at a decent price (he may considering he's been collecting some pretty fat checks as of late lol)

Or he's done playing because he's made $130 million in his career. It's probably hard for a person to grind as a backup for $4 million when they have been a starter basically their whole career.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The backup QB - 03/16/19 11:48 PM
Maybe. Maybe not? He didn't make noise last year when he was benched for Rosen. He didn't even make noise when Glennon moved ahead of him on the depth chart. Cards were making sure he didn't reach his escalators.

I think Sam is a laid-back guy and could roll w/it. He also can throw the ball, maybe even better than Baker. He doesn't have Baker's drive, leadership, passion for the game and he is less mobile, but you can win w/Bradford throwing to OBJ, Landry, Callaway, etc and handing off to Chubb and Hunt.

I am saying this w/out knowing how much money he would want. That could change things. LOL
Posted By: Hammer Re: The backup QB - 03/17/19 12:43 AM
plus he's an ex-Sooner, too.
© DawgTalkers.net