Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1602441 03/13/19 10:09 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/odell...on-blockbuster/

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the trade involves the Browns sending their first-round pick in 2019 (No. 17 overall), one of the Browns third-round picks this year (their second one) as well as safety Jabrill Peppers.

It's a stunner of a deal and, frankly, an incredible steal for the Browns. They lose a potential stud and former first-round pick in terms of Peppers but their offense is suddenly LOADED.

Baker Mayfield, who should have been the 2018 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, will be throwing to Beckham, Jarvis Landry (OBJ's teammate at LSU), Antonio Callaway and David Njoku. Not too shabby, and you can throw Nick Chubb into the mix in the backfield as well. This is suddenly a filthy offense the Browns are trotting out onto the field as they hope to contend for the division title.

It's an aggressive-as-all-get-out play by GM John Dorsey, and it probably won't be cheap. As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported on CBS Sports HQ on Tuesday night, there should be plenty of issues that Odell has to deal with in terms of his contract. Beckham was not, La Canfora reported, a part of the trade talks between the two teams as the negotiations were going along.

In other words, Beckham if he wanted, could potentially raise a stink about the trade and wanting a new contract -- a la Antonio Brown to the Bills in a deal that fell through -- and create some issues. That being said, he's going to a good spot on a fun young team with a ton of talented skill position players.

Beckham sounded stunned when talking to Kim Jones of NFL Network, calling the trade news "bittersweet" because he would be leaving New York. "At this point I have no idea what to think. I'm trying to process it right now," Beckham told Jones. "[Leaving NYC is] bittersweet, but it is what it is. It's life."Beckham also told Jones he had a "brief" conversation with Gettleman.

For the Giants, this is not entirely a white-flag situation with their 2019 season, but it does signal a move towards making Saquon Barkley the face of the franchise and moving on from the best player on the roster -- not a thing teams usually do -- just a year after doubling down on the twilight of Eli Manning's career.

Beckham will cost the Giants $16 million in dead cap space this year as a result of him being traded, with New York freeing up $5 million in salary cap space. There will be some people who point to the Giants needing to move on from Beckham because of his personality -- and I firmly believe they want to make put everything on Saquon, in terms of media attention and selling tickets and whatnot -- but the reality is Beckham has been one of the best receivers in the history of football through the first five years of his career. He averaged 78 catches, 1,095 receiving yards and just shy of nine touchdowns per season over the course of his career with the Giants.

Now New York will feature Sterling Shepard and Evan Engram as its primary playmakers in the passing game (outside of Saquon, of course). Corey Coleman is the next man up on the depth chart after Shepard, so it's not necessarily an ideal situation for what could very well be Eli's final season in New York.

The difference between the Browns depth chart at receiver and the Giants depth chart is startling.

The Westgate SuperBook released updated Super Bowl odds in the wake of the Beckham trade, with the Browns now at 14-to-1 to win it all. That's better than the Chargers, Bears and Colts (all at 16-to-1), as well as the Vikings and Eagles (both at 20-to-1). The Browns' AFC North rivals are well behind the Browns, with the Steelers at 30-to-1 and the Ravens at 40-to-1. The Giants' odds to win the title have dropped to 80-to-1.

According to SportsLine's projections, the Browns move from 9.5 wins in 2019 to 10.1 wins in the coming season, while their Super Bowl chances spike from 1.6 percent to 3.3 percent (a massive difference in the Super Bowl odds market). Cleveland's chances to win the division move from 38.3 percent to 50.5 percent according to SportsLine.

The Giants win total according to SportsLine doesn't move that much. They drop from 7.7 wins to 7.4 wins and their Super Bowl odds -- 0.4 percent -- only slipped to 0.3 percent. SportsLine did not project the Giants as a good football team before the Beckham trade and they are obviously a worse team, for this season, after it.

Last edited by Referee7; 03/13/19 11:08 AM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Please change the thread subject. That is a monstrosity.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
No clue how that happenend ... ooooops ...

Please change it refs or just delete it and someone else can start it ...

I’d apologize but i have no clue how that even happenend ...

DiamDawg #1602449 03/13/19 10:13 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
brownie

Hope that works!

I guess not saywhat

Last edited by eotab; 03/13/19 10:14 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
No clue how that happenend ... ooooops ...

Please change it refs or just delete it and someone else can start it ...

I’d apologize but i have no clue how that even happenend ...

Probably a copy/paste and you accidentally grabbed a little more than you tried to grab?.. it happens.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker
Odell, Landry, Callaway
Chubb, Hunt
Robinson, Bitonio, tretter, Corbett

Mitchell, Ward
Randall
Kirksey, Schobert, Avery
Garrett, Ogunjobi, sheldon, Vernon

eotab #1602454 03/13/19 10:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
brownie

Hope that works!

I guess not saywhat

That works

Good article but nothing new.. Thanks for posting it

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Baker
Odell, Landry, Callaway
Chubb, Hunt
Robinson, Bitonio, tretter, Corbett

Mitchell, Ward
Randall
Kirksey, Schobert, Avery
Garrett, Ogunjobi, sheldon, Vernon

The BACKUPS on this team are better than any starting lineup since 99 lol.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Think of all the crap we've had on offense since 99 ... guys like Seneca Wallace at QB, Travis Prentice at RB, and Corey Coleman at WR

and then look at that offense.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People keep bringing the long title back

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
So on the one hand - my image and 'sort of perception' of OBJ is that of the sort of Diva I don't like ... I don't know the circumstances around his beefs with Josh Norman and the sideline histrionics at NYG - so there is some risk to the trade.

BUT ... he's one of the most talented WR's in the game today. He's the sort of WR I like ... he gets separation constantly. He demands teams game plan for him ... He works his butt off ... I gotta say I love this trade. It makes Landry and Calloway better. It makes Njoku better. It makes Baker better ... and Baker truly has the potential to make OBJ better!

17, 95 and Peppers ??? I think that's a steal.

I know Peppers improved last year - but I am not sold on him. In his rookie year he showed me that - when in space - he can't cover, he takes bad angles and he is not a good tackler .... fundamental things for a safety. Sort of like a college QB being unlikely to get more accurate in the NFL - I just don't see the leap to Peppers reading the game and improving those 3 issues.... As an attacking piece close to the line, in limited space I thought he stood out - but you can't play a safety like that unless you are a pretty special D.

Before the trade I thought the Browns would win the Division. After the trade I think we could be looking at a final 4 appearance .. injuries and bad luck notwithstanding.

Draft is still going to be interesting. Some important pieces and depth needed. Can't wait.

Dorsey nailed his first draft with the Browns - it *appears* that Dorsey has nailed his 2nd year free agency. Shelton, Vernon, OBJ ... each one a huge improvement and none broke the bank. In Dorsey we trust!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
So after fleecing Gettelman for OBJ last night, who is Dorsey taking to the woodshed today?

Damanshot #1602486 03/13/19 10:29 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I didn't do anything Daman...all Diam

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1602491 03/13/19 10:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
I didn't do anything Daman...all Diam

Geez, I know that, I was responding to you for the shorter title... Relax and enjoy the OBJ ride man.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #1602500 03/13/19 10:37 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
What did I say....??? I'm relaxed and super enjoying this...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Damanshot #1602502 03/13/19 10:38 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

A different, NYG perspective. Take it for what it is worth.

Odell Beckham Jr. trade: Why Giants decided to deal 'pain in the ass' receiver.......
Source: "...there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse."

Dave Gettleman was telling the truth when he said the Giants didn't sign Odell Beckham Jr. to trade him. John Mara believed the receiver was a transcendent star the franchise could market and build around. Pat Shurmur, perhaps his greatest champion in the building, had worked overtime to build a relationship with the man he thought would be the linchpin of his offense.

So what happened? How did everything go so wrong that the Giants were willing to ship Beckham away less than seven months after giving him a five-year, $90 million contract?

"He had become too much of a pain in the ass," said one source familiar with the situation. "And there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse."

That is as good an explanation for any for why the Giants sent the 26-year-old Beckham to the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday night for a first-round pick (17th overall), a third-round pick and safety Jabrill Peppers. It was "absolutely not a football decision," according to one team source. The Giants are well aware that replacing Beckham on the field might be impossible.

But off the field they had grown tired of dealing with his headaches, and as Gettleman explained to reporters at the NFL scouting combine two weeks ago, "part of the responsibility of a general manager is to eliminate distractions." Beckham had become a lightning rod in New York, and no matter how the Giants tried to manage him, they couldn't keep him out of the spotlight.

Also, they did not feel he was truly happy playing in New York and for a Giants franchise that was struggling, one source said. And after seeing the way Antonio Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh over the last few months, there was a worry that in a year or two - especially if the Giants and their quarterback continued to struggle -- Beckham could go that route, too.

So they listened to offers on and off for the last year, hoping to get something close to two first-round picks in return, multiple sources said. The Browns only had one to offer, but when they were willing to throw in Peppers - a player the Giants loved in the 2017 draft - Gettleman convinced everyone it was time to move.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way, of course. After Shurmur was hired as the new Giants' head coach in January 2018, he did everything he could to build a relationship with Beckham at a difficult time in the receiver's career. Beckham was rehabbing from the ankle injury that cost him most of the 2017 season, and was doing it mostly in Los Angeles. He also wanted a new contract and negotiations hadn't gotten anywhere, which led him to be distant from the team.

Not long after that, the famous video came out of him in bed in Paris with a woman, a pizza, and what looked to many like marijuana. The Giants, from the owners on down, were furious at him. That's when they started listening to trade offers and refused to commit to him being on the 2018 team.

Shurmur, though, spoke to Beckham often, visited him in Los Angeles, and even convinced him to attend part of the Giants' offseason program - something he wasn't planning to do at all. He behaved and managed to convince the Giants he was worth the long-term investment, which led to his record-breaking deal.

But when the season started, the Giants' struggled and Beckham became frustrated - particularly with Manning, whom he clearly thought was in decline. Then, in early October, he infuriated Shurmur and Giants management by going on ESPN - without telling the team - and doing an interview where he was asked if the Giants had a quarterback problem. His answer: "I don't know."

In that same interview, Beckham was asked if he was happy in New York and he said "It's a tough question," before he waxed poetic about the sunshine in California. That did not sit well with Mara, coming about a month after the owner gave him a $20 million signing bonus and guaranteeing him $65 million to play for a New York team.

"I think he needs to do a little more playing," Mara said at the time, "and a little less talking."

Behind the scenes, it got worse. Beckham didn't hide his unhappiness with the offense, particularly when talking to his fellow receivers. Manning publicly remained supportive of Beckham, and insisted he wasn't affected by his receiver's seeming lack of support. But some of his friends were sure Manning was bothered by what seemed like a needless distraction.

The Giants certainly were, and so was Shurmur. They were also furious late in the season when Beckham suffered an injured quad that seemed to be healing before he was suddenly inactive for a game against the Redskins. The Giants kept the injury shrouded in mystery. Then Beckham broke protocol by revealing the timing of it and the diagnosis (a "hematoma") in a Facebook post.

Yes, each of those is seemingly a minor infraction. But one of Gettleman's priorities has been to clean up the locker room and get everyone to think and play as a team. Beckham was loved by most of his teammates. He was known to be an incredibly hard worker.

But there's no doubt the off-the-field distractions were constantly there.

"You've got to eliminate distractions," Gettleman said at the combine, and not specifically about Beckham. "There used to be a thing I used to call 'the a--hole quotient.' The bigger the a--hole you are, the better the player you had to be. Plain and simple. It's funny (but) it's true. It really is. Think of the great players that you've seen around the league who have been just complete jerks. At the end of the day, what was the sum total of their career and their effect on their teams?"

Gettleman clearly decided that for all Beckham's ability, his effect on his team was an overall negative. And if Manning struggled again this year, and Beckham had to deal with a rookie quarterback, it had the potential to get worse over time. And Gettleman's biggest concern with the Giants was the "culture" he was creating.

"I've been to seven (Super Bowls)," Gettleman said. "And every single team had a great locker room. I'm telling you. I've been to seven of them and they all had great locker rooms. Part of the responsibility of a general manager is to eliminate distractions. Allow players to play and coaches to coach. And unfortunately, guys that have character issues create distractions. They do."

Again, he wasn't talking specifically about Beckham. But it's clear that in Gettleman's vision of the perfect Giants' locker room, a headline-grabbing, spotlight-loving, superstar receiver just didn't fit in.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/odell-bec...eiver/305138080

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll say it again. Win-win for both teams. The Giants got their 2 first round picks plus a 3rd round pick, and we got the best WR in football. Dorsey wasn't out to screw the Giants and Gettleman didn't pull one over on us. Both teams should be very happy. We're the favorite to win the AFCN and they have the ammo they need to start their rebuild.

GO BROWNS!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
DiamDawg #1602521 03/13/19 10:47 AM
Legend
Legend
losing and lack of productivity are the big problems for diva WRs .. the hope is he doesn't experience either here

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have for the first time that I can remember aside from Josh Gordon, a field tilting player in his prime.

Couldn’t be happier, I said I would have given two 1st for him multiple times on this bird.

Dorsey is the effing man, no question about it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This was the Paul depodesta plan. Depo and Dorsey have blended expert scouting and analytics into what we are seeing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
NYG are obviously going to spin this and try to prevent getting slammed....

Regards to this article and Gettleman's comments -- I think it says more about Gettleman's ability to put together a competitive team and his, Shurmur's and Manning's ability to communicate and work with their most talented asset.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Mourgrym #1602536 03/13/19 11:01 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Ya ... i’m sure KJ couldn’t have done this w/o Depo .... rolleyes

U guys are talking out your butts ...

I’m sure KJ wouldn’t have done this without Depo’s approval ... soon one of u are gonna tell us it was depo’s idea .... rofl ...

DiamDawg #1602542 03/13/19 11:07 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes u are right, John was such a numbers guy. He cleared all this space and acquired all these picks. Just like Depo did such a wonderful job drafting Baker and Ward lol

Mourgrym #1602544 03/13/19 11:12 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
KJ walked into that cap space ...

Ya ... tearing down a team and letting everyone walk to clear cap space takes a real genius ... real tough ... rolleyes ...

Letting players like Schwartz walk and signing Kenny Britt and trading up for Kizer were BRILLIANT MOVES ...

Once again ... your butts doing the talking ... *L* ..

Ya’all’s butts can have the last word on this ... im not in the mood to debate today ... its a day of CELEBRATION ...

And i thought yesterday was going to be boring ... *LOL* ..

DiamDawg #1602545 03/13/19 11:13 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Ya ... tearing down a team and letting everyone walk to clear cap space takes a real genius ... real tough ... rolleyes ...

Letting players like Schwartz walk and signing Kenny Britt and trading up for Kizer were BRILLIANT MOVES ...

Ya’all’s butts can have the last word on this ... im not in the mood to debate today ... its a day of CELEBRATION ...

#Triggered

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
#Triggered

Andrew Hawkins has gone and done it now!.......

DiamDawg #1602547 03/13/19 11:21 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Letting Schwartz go never happens if u have Dorsey. He is the football guru. He tells Depo are u stupid? As I said in another post we have the best analytics department and we have the best football guys in football.

It's a combination of brilliance. People give Freddie credit for willing to hire top guys but we gotta do the same with Dorsey. Hiring wolf and Hightower and wanting to learn about what Depo does.

This is coming together because your king is not so ego driven that he can listen and learn from the knights at the table.

Milk Man #1602549 03/13/19 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sushi sucked. Lawyer making football decisions.

Mourgrym #1602553 03/13/19 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Letting Schwartz go never happens if u have Dorsey. He is the football guru. He tells Depo are u stupid? As I said in another post we have the best analytics department and we have the best football guys in football.

It's a combination of brilliance. People give Freddie credit for willing to hire top guys but we gotta do the same with Dorsey. Hiring wolf and Hightower and wanting to learn about what Depo does.

This is coming together because your king is not so ego driven that he can listen and learn from the knights at the table.

If Dorsey hadn't been in KC, Schwartz would probably still be here. It's not like we didn't offer him a deal. Just Saying.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Can't really blame a NY outlet for trying to put a positive spin on this and in the end it may be true.. the Giants are either going to have an aging Eli at QB or a rookie.. they are starting a rebuild this year or next, one way or the other...

Having a demanding WR who wants the ball, who wants the spotlight, might not be in their best interest at this point..

This could very well work out well for both teams.

yebat' Putin
DiamDawg #1602558 03/13/19 11:34 AM
Legend
Legend
I forgot Shurmur was the Giants coach lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

#Triggered

Tackles are tackles.
DiamDawg #1602563 03/13/19 11:39 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Seriously guys, we just traded for the best WR in football that makes us the division favorite in the North, and a may possibly hold a home playoff game here in the VERY near future, and you guys are barking bout things in the past.

ITS A NEW DAY, YES IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

CalDawg #1602564 03/13/19 11:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I'll say it again. Win-win for both teams. The Giants got their 2 first round picks plus a 3rd round pick, and we got the best WR in football. Dorsey wasn't out to screw the Giants and Gettleman didn't pull one over on us. Both teams should be very happy. We're the favorite to win the AFCN and they have the ammo they need to start their rebuild.

GO BROWNS!

This is coming from a guy that likes Peppers a bunch, but 1st round pick, yeah, he was, but he's listed as the 16th best Safety in the league.. So while he was indeed a 1st rounder, he's not all that and a bag of chips..

But I do think essentially, you are right.. nobody got screwed in this deal...

If the Giants get good players with those picks,,, they did well, if they don't,, well yeah, they got screwed LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
DiamDawg #1602565 03/13/19 11:40 AM
Legend
Legend

Odell Beckham Jr. will take the Browns' offense to another level: Here's how -- Film Room

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...-film-room.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the trade involves the Browns sending their first-round pick in 2019 (No. 17 overall), one of the Browns third-round picks this year (their second one) as well as safety Jabrill Peppers.

Just to note, it looks like the 4th rounders that were swapped in the Vernon trade were reverted back.

So overall, it's Zeitler, Peppers, a first and a third (second one), for Oliver and Beckham Jr.

Legend
Legend
thanks for that link

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Damanshot #1602575 03/13/19 11:52 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If the Giants get good players with those picks,,, they did well, if they don't,, well yeah, they got screwed LOL

We've had a lot of those in our past where we made decent moves and then screwed up the draft picks.. that doesn't mean it was bad deal..

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Beckham Trade Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard