Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
I don't know, but it sure feels like people everywhere are are feeling something for the Browns that maybe they didn't feel before.

It's like Dorsey says, Teams don't win in March.. They win in Camp and then in the Fall.

If this turns our like I think and hope it will, then yeah, I bet we're going to be the darlings of the league..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Obviously, the Browns aren't "America's Team," but they aren't "the same old Browns" in the eyes of the national media and public.

Instead, there is a positive buzz about the Browns. People are liking what they are seeing from this roster. I also think that a lot of folks across the country have felt bad for the long-suffering, loyal fan-base of the Browns and our kinda rooting for us. There was a similar sentiment about the Cubs and Red Sox for years.

It's cool to think that our team is finally receiving positive attention.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We got Americas attention.

Now we got to back it with wins and we will garnish a lot of fans, some who left us and coming back. Some young ones who are drawn to Baker.

But WIN WE MUST!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Obviously, the Browns aren't "America's Team," but they aren't "the same old Browns" in the eyes of the national media and public.

Instead, there is a positive buzz about the Browns. People are liking what they are seeing from this roster. I also think that a lot of folks across the country have felt bad for the long-suffering, loyal fan-base of the Browns and our kinda rooting for us. There was a similar sentiment about the Cubs and Red Sox for years.

It's cool to think that our team is finally receiving positive attention.

Agree 100% We aren't there yet, but do you feel as if it could become true? I mean, are we headed in the right direction to become Americas Team?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
We got Americas attention.

That we did.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was never a fan of the whole "America's Team" shtick. Made my stomach turn, to be honest. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't dislike the Cowboys like I do.

I feel that I'd be a hypocrite if I called my Browns America's Team the minute they started getting a little love.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Damn I feel good.

I was in eleventh grade in 64 when we won it all. Not in a million years did I think we would go through all that has happened.

For me then I thought it was a given that we would always be a great team.

Now at this time I could not feel better.

We are not only good but we are good and young.

Baker? Love what he brings and how he brings it. You watch Flacco and he seems like he rather be anywhere than on a football field.

Baker plays like he would play for nothing. He loves football and his drive to win is a perfect match for guys like Beckham and Landry.

For the foreseeable future the Browns will be a force.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I was never a fan of the whole "America's Team" shtick. Made my stomach turn, to be honest. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't dislike the Cowboys like I do.

I feel that I'd be a hypocrite if I called my Browns America's Team the minute they started getting a little love.

I don't like the Atlanta Braves for this same reason, and like you it's why I dislike the Cowboys so much as well. I won't call the Browns America's team either.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
E
Legend
Legend
E
It is what it is wink

Oh and Grateful...keep em coming watched it about 3 times in a row...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I worry about all this hype. Yes the team has turned a corner, but talking Superbowl and " playoff team" seems a little over the top. I hope it is going to happen, but I've seen this movie before.

My hope is that the players are not sucking all this hype up. I hope they are avoiding all this talk. If this team, as assembled, decides to go into this season undistracted, and committed, they very well could verify the hype. But they could just as easily buy in to it, get in the mindset that it is a given, that could lead to the very opposite.

As much as we believe that the media is in love with us now, if this thing don't live up to the hype, they will giving us just as much bad talk.

The leadership in the locker room, is going to be the deciding factor. The mindset has to be set, that they still haven't achieved anything. I think Freddie is the kind of guy to keep that message fresh, but it is going to take guys like Jarvis, Baker, Odell, and Bitonio, to push the idea in the locker room. IMO, it is time for Garrett to step up as a leader in the locker room, express some of his passion for winning to his teammates.

If they want to call us America's team, I'm all for it. But most of the outside love this team is getting is conditional, the moment there is a slip up, the trash talking will begin all over.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed 100%. There are too many variables at this point. New players that have to learn to play together as well as new coaches they have to play for. Then you have to ask how will we handle the added attention and expectations. I for one would like to see things toned down a bit and take it one day at a time. JMO

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
One thing being left out a lot is Freddie. I have faith in him, but he still is stepping into a new realm. He seems to have the personality to handle it, but you never know.

In the back of my mind I can picture him being overwhelmed, and making bad decisions out of haste. I mean, this team has a knack for the smackdown, just when we think things are right, something major happens. Yes, battered fan syndrome.

If Freddie proves to be the man, it will be the ultimate icing on the cake.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
One thing being left out a lot is Freddie. I have faith in him, but he still is stepping into a new realm. He seems to have the personality to handle it, but you never know.

In the back of my mind I can picture him being overwhelmed, and making bad decisions out of haste. I mean, this team has a knack for the smackdown, just when we think things are right, something major happens. Yes, battered fan syndrome.

I agree with the concerns. I'm fairly confident in the structural integrity of the current hierarchy in Berea... that helps a lot. An owner that trusts an actual GM, a GM that knows his job and is extremely competent in fulfilling his role, a new coaching staff that knows who the bosses are... no bickering, no backstabbing, etc...

Not to say that makes it easy, and Freddie has some serious personalities to deal with, but I actually feel like that might be a strong suit with him.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Doesn’t the team that “won the offseason” usually lose the regular season? We have to keep the expectations modest.

In my opinion, this season should be about the division. No mention of the playoffs (if/once you get there, sure, get pumped).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not so sure that holds true with us. We went 5-3 during the last half of the season which gives you some good momentum ending last season.

When you combine that momentum from last season with the addition of the talent we have amassed that's a two edged sword that would be hard to dismiss.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I prefer the hype to "the same ol' Browns again" thing that we have heard for decades.

Legend
Legend
The hills are alive with the sound of music!

I’ve been in a state of euphoria ever since the trades. We haven’t had this much talent since 2007, and now we have a much much better QB.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I keep seeing and hearing that we are the "New" America's Team.

Phhffftt.. I'd be happy to be this years Ref's team. We are long overdue there.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I worry about all this hype. Yes the team has turned a corner, but talking Superbowl and " playoff team" seems a little over the top. I hope it is going to happen, but I've seen this movie before.

I've seen the "cautious optimism" movie over and over again. Screw that. I'm all in. I'm done quietly hoping that we might be turning the corner, it's effin' do or die time! I've been predicting 12-4 since Hue was fired. Our time is NOW!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Besides Colin Cowherd , we are getting much love around the NFL

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Dawg. We're in great hands. I sense fear of failure from some.

CAP. Give this Dawg a DRINK ON ME....

HELL, GIVE HIM A BOTTLE ON ME...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Let's all sit down and share one, or three.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I never listen to that jerk but I am aware of some of what he has said.

I would love for Jim Rome to call him out. Obviously he is either trying to get a rise out of people. Or, he is truly ignorant.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I prefer the hype to "the same ol' Browns again" thing that we have heard for decades.

Me too. I'm just cautioning those who think all this love from the media is real. They have wallowed in the ability to have a whipping boy like the Browns. In the past teams that were bad were never beat up in the media like they are today. We have all kinds of shows with ex-players that trash talk and laugh at teams daily. They have used the Browns as a punchline. All I'm saying is that if this thing doesn't pan out like it should, they will be more than happy to have their whipping boy back.

Legend
Legend
The media want a great story.

Team sucks? Great story.

Team hopelessly bad? Great story.

Hopelessly bad team suddenly turns things around and look legitimate? Really great story.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Colin Cowherd? He still has a show?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I think it is different this time. This is the first team we have had since the rebirth that has talent and is headed by a great FO.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I hope so.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know where this "Americas Team" crap started. I heard Jim Rome say it the other day. That's crap. We are not "Americas Team". Until last year we were Americas JOKE. A punch line. Obviously, the Browns will be must watch TV. But as many people will be hoping this implodes as there are hoping it succeeds. Americas Team? *snicker* Where the hell do people get this tripe?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
E
Legend
Legend
E
We are Cleveland's Team. The rest of the country can be jelly. They don't get to claim ownership of something they didn't have to suffer for.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I don't know where this "Americas Team" crap started. I heard Jim Rome say it the other day. That's crap. We are not "Americas Team". Until last year we were Americas JOKE. A punch line. Obviously, the Browns will be must watch TV. But as many people will be hoping this implodes as there are hoping it succeeds. Americas Team? *snicker* Where the hell do people get this tripe?

Cleveland Browns Daily has been saying it for months (I think since December or so?). I don't think they coined it but heard it one time and ran with it.

Legend
Legend
Bro, I think it is different this time. This is the first team we have had since the rebirth that has talent and is headed by a great FO.

I'm still cautiously optimistic/leaning more to the positive.

My reservations: dude, you already know them. We've read each other's thoughts for years, but I'll just say it for the rest of the board:
We have once again assembled a new group of people in important coaching positions. Coaches who will be working with each other for the first time. That dynamic is always an 'X-factor.'

Don't get me wrong- I've read up on them all, and I like what I've learned. That doesn't change the fact that this is all new for them as much as it is for the players. There are a LOT of moving parts that need to mesh for this on-paper potential to be realized.

"Once bitten, twice shy." Let us not forget how dysfunction cost this team an entire 1/2 season and 2/3 of its top coaching tier during its most recent regular season. Who could have seen that coming 12 months before? Not Browns fans... because even that was a brand-new incarnation. Swear to God, someone needs to test the ground water in Berea.

You know me. I've always been the 'continuity man' on the boards. I still remember how you pulled me off the bridge when the whole 'Chud/ 1-year' thing went down. I'm serious when I say this: I won't feel secure until I've seen a coaching staff (HC/OC/DC) in place for 2+ years. Because that, more than any other factor, sets the culture for the team. A well-stocked, well-stacked pro team can win a championship. A team with its own culture becomes a dynasty. Only longevity can build/maintain a culture. And we are- once again- on Year One of this Tier One coaching staff.

Year One.
Again.

I'm putting some faith in Dorsey's vision/leadership skills, and hope that a chemistry can be cultivated with the new folks assembled, but let's be honest here: this all-important aspect is still an unknown. I don't know these people yet. We don't know them.

Here's where I am, right now:
I'm more interested/intrigued in this team this off season than I've been DURING seasons... so yeah- I'm a bit swept up like everybody else. At the same time, um- "Hello? I'm a Browns fan....."

Anything can happen. And usually does.

If I see:
* a >.500 Browns team at midseason, with
* ZERO reports of FO/coaching dysfunction, AND
* ZERO reports of locker room friction/drama...

I'll take my hand off the emotional emergency brake.
Until then... I'll just try to keep playing the cello with crossed fingers (ouch).

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In all seriousness, I thought this happened last year. People like underdawgs.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Let's all sit down and share one, or three.

I have a strict rule when drinking. I always have to end on a odd number, and that number is never 1.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
This was my thread to be upbeat and lighthearted on, but you raise a very good point.

The coaching staff is a big unknown. They aren't very experienced in their current roles and don't have the greatest resumes.

My fear is that they will get lambasted if our record doesn't meet the high expectations that have been set. And Clem, they will be easy targets for ridicule if we reach such a point. I'm tired of having initial questions about coaches while others are praising them only to turn around and have to defend them when the masses revolt and call for their heads.

I really hope that it doesn't come to that once again. I am more confident this time because we have so much more talent and I really believe that Dorsey is a great leader who is relentless in trying to improve the team.

The OBJ trade put it over the top for me. He is a true superstar and he should make everyone else better. We are loaded on offense and the defense should be a bit better. We still need help in the secondary, but it's a process.

I do have one more concern in regards to how much we will improve, but I will hold off on that one for now.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I do have one more concern in regards to how much we will improve, but I will hold off on that one for now.

Why? Everyone knows it's Baker and the reason is because he won't work out with a QB guru. You've mentioned it at least a dozen times.

Truth be told, I'm somewhat concerned by it as well. But probably not for exactly the same reasons. I wish we had more information as to why he won't. Has he done it before and it didn't work for him? Does he feel he can get what he needs from Freddie and the other coaches, more than he can get from a few summer workouts?

The biggest threat to success this upcoming season is Baker going into a sophomore slump. I'm not worried about the coaches. I'm worried about Baker getting too Hollywood, letting it all get to his head, and not recognizing that he'll get figured out and will need to be ready for it. Nothing has changed in regards to what the NFL game is all about. It's about the QB. You can have 8 HOF receivers on the team. It's still all about the QB.

Baker's play will determine how far the team will go next year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm not worried about any innumerable potential catastrophes derailing the team. The team showed last year that they refuse to own any of the losing baggage that the Browns have been carrying for 20 years. The "same old Browns" mentality is still lingering in spots within the fanbase. Winning will cure it.

As far as the America's Team label. Realistically all of these Band Wagon hangers' on will become Vulchers if we go sub 500. I would not embrace any of this media glad-handing.

I like how EveDawg said it. The Brown's are Cleveland's team. But if you're not in Cleveland but have an Orange and Brown state of mind that counts too.

If you don't know the struggle then you can't share in the glory.

Legend
Legend

I understand the caution.

However, from what Freddie did last year and how he did it; I don't feel concerned.

Monken and Wilks I don't know enough about to have a real opinion.

I fall back on Dorsey. Dorsey understands how this all should work and I believe he helped Freddie in assembling the staff.

In the end though a lot falls on Freddie. And I feel confident in him. I know this is his first go around. But for whatever reason I just feel he is the right guy.

Of course we are going into territory that is rare air for us. We are favorites to win the North. Hard to even say that without some sense of dread.

Playoffs!! Yes, I will go there. But that is where I draw the line. Winning in the post season needs to be proven. That is where separation begins. So I won't get to far ahead.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Why? Everyone knows it's Baker and the reason is because he won't work out with a QB guru. You've mentioned it at least a dozen times.

Truth be told, I'm somewhat concerned by it as well. But probably not for exactly the same reasons. I wish we had more information as to why he won't. Has he done it before and it didn't work for him? Does he feel he can get what he needs from Freddie and the other coaches, more than he can get from a few summer workouts?

The biggest threat to success this upcoming season is Baker going into a sophomore slump. I'm not worried about the coaches. I'm worried about Baker getting too Hollywood, letting it all get to his head, and not recognizing that he'll get figured out and will need to be ready for it. Nothing has changed in regards to what the NFL game is all about. It's about the QB. You can have 8 HOF receivers on the team. It's still all about the QB.

Baker's play will determine how far the team will go next year.

HOW does one figure out a QB that throws all over the field, and accurate at that.

You DON'T. You try to slow it down.

GOOD LUCK....

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Are we, dare I say it, American's (new) Team?

Link Copied to Clipboard