Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
You know that reality has no place here, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
You know what is crazy, Purp? Look at the two most-talented rosters in the AFC as things stand right now. KC and Cleveland. Then look at the similarities. Young stud QBs that are surrounded by playmakers and led by innovative offensive minds.

Both defenses are questionable. Sacks and turnovers are keys to both.

The craziest thing is that both teams were built by John Dorsey.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Optimism, big heads...yada yada.

That's us its what the team is doing that counts.

Any updates from the Baker Camp. We heard that Njoku, Higgins, Ratley were all working out together. I heard Landry from this board but not from Njoku or others. Njoku said he was going to get Baker to come to the set of NFL Network, did he do so and if so do we have a video of the clip or news when he will? I'm sure he will give more names.

But any news from our Writers I mean if I'm a football beat writer of the Browns I'm following Baker wherever he is going and will report on anything that is being done. Not canned stories they give us...how bout some real NEWS!

Thanks in advance from any news about Baker and his workouts.

OBJ was in Europe when is he getting into Berea and when is he going to join Baker, If I remember correctly he actually was working out with Baker last year.

We can only ASSume he works out with him this year considering he is his QB.

Any news on Strong, is he going to fight for a WR position or shrug his shoulders and get cut AGAIN.

The key to all this EGO, SATISFACTION, ETC...is for them to WORK HARD Njoku has it right...time to not sit on their butts but to work 10 times harder!

Where is Devalve, Duke, Chubb, Calloway, Strong, Harris and the rest of the NEW GUYS along with Landry.

Also I don't want Baker to get a dead arm so he has to rest a couple of weeks in between major workouts!

I'm sure we will be bringing in at least 2 more QBs we only got 2 on our roster right now. Later round draft and at least one other to work out in our Camps!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You know that reality has no place here, right?

It's not often people accuse me of that tongue

Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You know what is crazy, Purp? Look at the two most-talented rosters in the AFC as things stand right now. KC and Cleveland. Then look at the similarities. Young stud QBs that are surrounded by playmakers and led by innovative offensive minds.

What will be truly amazing is if Dorsey can build this defense to be worthy of what this offense should be able to do.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I don't feel cocky about the Browns. However, I have never felt so optimistic about the talent of our team than I am now.

I have been called a Negative Nancy, a Doom-and-Gloomer, a Hater, etc for years. I always said I was a realist because I thought folks were overrating our talent.

In my opinion, this team is truly loaded w/talent. I don't think that it is even a debate in regards to how much talent we have. The only questions center around how we mesh and if we can use that superior talent to win games.

We also have to consider that the fans don't play the games. Thus, us getting too cocky has no effect on how the players play. The only concern would be is if the fans/media turn on the coaches and/or certain players if the team isn't living up to the heightened expectations. We have seen that over and over again for years.

My bottom line on this is that this team is loaded w/talent and I am fairly confident that Dorsey is going to continue to improve that talent. It's a good feeling.

The weird thing is I have always been one of the guys who have been an "optimistic, this could really be our year if" fans over the years. I did not always post it because I did not want to hear that I was a "fool" for feeling that way" and I don't mean to imply you specifically would have called me a fool. I think I knew the Browns would be bad but I needed to feel a good season was possible.

Now that we have much more legitimate talent I have a strange "what if XYZ happens" and they fall backwards. I assume I just don't want to be disappointed again?

T
All Pro
All Pro
T

I agree 100%.

I was talking to my buddy yesterday about this. Top to bottom, I truly believe that it's between the Browns and the Chiefs right now regarding the top roster on paper and feel that we're going to be in the running with them for most dangerous team.

Obv the chargers are still good, the Patriots are always scary, etc. But I can see us having a Chiefs like season.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
E
Legend
Legend
E
I hear ya...and I took it on the chin - not called fool but was called a "HOMER" which basically was meant as a word to call me FOOL... But you get it. I was no dummy, I knew our team lacked a lot but it doesn't mean I have to be always telling all that to show I was smart or something. I felt the need as a FAN to look at the BEST CASE scenario's. I did so with Football in my posts. Now all these posters are being Optimistic...maybe its time for me to be a pessimist... rofl

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't actually believe the term homer is calling someone a fool. I just think it means their view is obviously slanted or bias.

We didn't have the talent to be so optimistic in the past. The roster was poor and most often the QB room looked like a whose who of which one will be out of the NFL first.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Whatever...not going to debate this...but in my "BIAS" I always gave Football Logic and was not opposed likewise instead I got the HOMER argument as if that was all that was needed. Still it was use to dummy my football down and an EXCUSE for those to not talk football. As if that was all they needed to say.

Well those days are done. As the kid described his thoughts on being optimistic. Pretty much covered mine. Last I looked I was a FAN...not a coach, not an journalist...A FAN and I'm to be questioned on my bais to the team I love...Duh of course I'm biased. saywhat

You all could mean it whatever way you wish. It was used as an Insult to me.

Glad those days are over with. But now what am I going to be called for those who wish to avoid a football discussion??? tongue

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're a funny guy. Here's what you posted above.....

Quote:
I felt the need as a FAN to look at the BEST CASE scenario's.

So you openly admitted that you chose to look at it from one angle. The most positive angle possible.

Then you get mad when someone actually agrees with you?

rofl

Save your BS for somebody else. I should have known better than to actually attempt a dialogue with you.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I'm sick of the words "temper", "caution" and whatnot. Good teams ARE cocky, and go into every game expecting to win. That's where my mindset is. We're there now.

I would argue their is a difference between having swagger and being cocky. I'm cool with being excited and optimistic. I just don't want us to overlook people and things to turn ugly quick when we don't blowout everybody starting week 1. We have the talent to be great. But, there's a lot of work to be done. Other teams are working, too. Each year is its own thing. There's a difference between expecting to win and thinking its just going to happen because you "have more talent."

More than being sick of "temper" and "caution", I'm sick of losing. Putting the cart before the horse can lead to a lot of losing.

Potential is great, but in football you've got to earn everything a day/play at a time.

The Patriots aren't the greatest team on paper, but they sure win a lot.

Lots of teams that have won in March were nowhere to be seen come the playoffs.

Bottom line: I like swagger, and it's nice to have some more on the team. But, it's March, not December. We haven't even gotten them all on the field yet.

It's nice to feel optimistic, but I think it is a bit soon to be burying anybody.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Is KC still on top? I'm not questioning last year, they were great. They'll still be good in all likelihood.

They're losing some pieces, though. Both edge rushers, center, etc.

We're young pretty much everywhere,and they're (mostly) all under contract for awhile in addition to being talented. Dorsey may have gotten better on the contract-side and roster construction in addition to his talent evaluating since KC.

It's definitely easy to get hyped about the direction of the Browns. I am having trouble helping myself at times.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I will say this, to the people going overboard on crazy:

The Browns can be the most talented team in the AFC and STILL not make it to the Super Bowl. Rarely does the best team win a title.

Lower expectations if you are dreaming of Super Bowls. If this team wins 1 in the next 4 or so years, it's a massive win.

Only expectations for me this year is be at or near the top of the AFCN and play in a playoff game.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Highly talented,stacked offense,blah,blah blah.
Couldn't stop the run last year,not much has changed.
Good teams are going to lineup in 12 personnel,play keep away,and ram that ball up our collective arses.
See Patriots,New England

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Good teams are going to lineup in 12 personnel,play keep away,and ram that ball up our collective arses.
See Patriots,New England

So adding Sheldon Richardson means nothing??? superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not to some people it appears.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Not much

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Not to some people it appears.

I realize you're sitting at your keyboard with bated breath waiting to inject some smart-ass remark,but sometimes you should read what has been posted.
Not much,two small words I used.

P
Legend
Legend
P
See Patriots,New England

You may wish to look at the order of the posts. I actually replied BEFORE your two word post. This is what I was responding to. With a better run stopper in the middle of our DL we should be better at stopping the run.

But thanks for playing!

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm not going to play.
You left a very important sentence out of you're quote.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T

OMG !
You're calling Mayfield a " young stud " Vers ?
You think he's good ?
I will give you Kudos for admitting you were wrong in your pre draft evaluation of Baker and also for not being stubborn and open minded as it relates to our QB.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
See Patriots,New England

It doesn't mean nothing, but it does need to show itself on the field before it is actually anything here. Nobody gets into the Playoffs based on "potential" or how good they are "on paper". He is good against the run, but he's only one person and one piece. To neutralize him and his ability against the run, they just have to run somewhere else.... we need to be better against the run across the board, and we also need to be better against the passes to TE's & RB's. This defense has holes.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
See Patriots,New England

Before the trade for OBJ I was on board with this FA acquisition ... After the trade, we lost out on a possible stud DT @17, so in retrospect this signing could be huge!

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Their argument is that the Browns might implode due to the all the strong personalities. Baker, OBJ, Landry...

Given that they're Steeler fans, I can see why they'd think this. BUT...Baker, Landry and OBJ aren't Ben, Antonio and Le'veon. And Kitchens definitely isn't Tomlin. Kitchens is the key to everything working out.

I think that is where Baker Mayfield plays into this scenario being ok. I think he has the right personality to handle it. He's going to be at the forefront of everything, but he really seems like a guy who wants everyone to be in the spotlight.

The key will be when things aren't going well, whether in a game itself, or during the midst of a mid-season struggle. Will guys start complaining to the media (which is obv not a good sign) or will they band together and find a way? I think Baker can rally the troops.

I hope they can put this all together because it has so much potential to be a great team.

I get that people are low-key worried though. Because we have seen this time and time again. Trendy pre-season picks fail all the time, and you better believe the Browns are going to be a trendy pick. They're going to be picked to make the playoffs by quite a lot of experts.

I'm not worried about the stacked talent as much as I am Freddie Kitchens not being able to handle it all. Believe me I am in his corner and I think the hire says a lot about him and the way he was received, but that is quite the jump to go from being hired on as a running backs coach, to end up as the head coach by season's end. That does worry me. I'm not doubting the guy, but that is a ridiculous jump. Being a great play caller doesn't equal handling an entire roster and coaching staff (just ask Hue Jackson).

I think by the way they have constructed this roster, that he's not going to just throw his weight around like Jackson did. I think he's bringing in guys who he can hand things off to. I am pulling for him.

I was hoping he'd stay on as OC, but if he's going to man the whole ship, I hope it works, because I think he has the mind of someone in tune to modern football, there is no doubt about that.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Just about every head coach in the NFL became a head coach after being a coordinator - why would Kitchens be any different. What about being a coordinator qualifies you to be a head coach.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Just about every head coach in the NFL became a head coach after being a coordinator - why would Kitchens be any different. What about being a coordinator qualifies you to be a head coach.

Did you read my whole post? I just think that's quite the jump to start the year as a positional coach and end up HC by the end of the season.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Freddy's Coaching Experience:

Glenville State (1999)
- Running backs coach & tight ends coach
LSU (2000)
- Graduate assistant
North Texas (2001–2003)
- Running backs coach
Mississippi State (2004–2005)
- Tight ends coach (2004)
- Running backs coach (2005)
Dallas Cowboys (2006)
- Tight ends coach
Arizona Cardinals (2007–2017)
- Tight ends coach (2007–2012)
- Quarterbacks coach (2013–2016)
- Running backs coach (2017)
Cleveland Browns (2018–present)
- Associate head coach & running backs coach (2018)
- Offensive coordinator (2018)
- Head coach (2019–present)

It went by my head that Freddy was Running backs coach AND ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH initially in 2018. Wonder if Dorsey had something in mind then?

At any rate, staying with the thread topic, I think Mr. Kitchens is as well prepared as any first-time head coach to deal with the issue of dealing with prima donnas.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 03/18/19 09:13 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

It went by my head that Freddy was Running backs coach AND ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH initially in 2018. Wonder if Dorsey had something in mind then?
I made that same point a few months ago when we were talking about coaching candidates. He was ostensibly brought in by Todd Haley, but Haley didn't have to authority to name him AHC, someone above him had to make that call. Add to that he did the play calling in the 4th preseason game, and I suspect that Dorsey had bigger plans for Kitchens from the start.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't think it qualifies you, but it is a natural progression.

That said, I don't think it has to work that way. Plus, Freddie was a coordinator, be it 8 games. I don't think there is some magic number one needs to attain to move on to the head coach position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

Did you read my whole post? I just think that's quite the jump to start the year as a positional coach and end up HC by the end of the season.

It is. Anthony Lynn just did practically thr same thing as Kitchens though and is doing well with the Chargers.

Legend
Legend
It's a wait and see moment. If Richardson does what he's capable of, we're gonna love it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DCDAWGFAN #1604878 03/19/19 09:31 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Browns’ Odell Beckham Jr. announces he’s going dark for a few days to ‘re-evaluate some things in...Beckham announced on Instagram he's going dark for a few days to process everything in the wake all that's changed for him recently.

Wonder what he needs to 'process'...

Is he talking about his contract ?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Just wondering, if by some chance, OBJ says, I'm not going to go to Cleveland, what happens to the trade? do we get Peppers back, do we get our 1st and 3rd picks back?

Or are we stiffed on the deal?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Sounds like he just wants to follow Landry's advice and "get his head straight".

Quote:
P.S.A. I love you all so much, for the ones that follow and support I thank u all for that. I’m takin an emotional, mental, physical/ blah blah blah vacation . I appreciate the love honestly but at this moment for the next couple of days I’m goin dark. I won’t be around , phone is gone, with all due respect, please don’t text/ call / FaceTime unless it’s of the utmost importance . I really need some time to vibe and just get away, process, reevaluate some of the things in my life, as much has changed for me recently. I’m doin amazing thanks for askin!!! Im really just tryin to get everything together and gather all my thoughts so I can take the next steps in my life to be the very very very best me moving forward . God bless u all and again thanks for the love and support, I will see u soon.... Always LUVVVVV

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
DiamDawg #1604883 03/19/19 10:07 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course I go on a little vacation and this trade goes down.

The entire offense changed overnight. Landry struggling to get open changed overnight. Callaway being expected to produce more than his draft slot changed overnight. Counting on Higgins to greatly improve evaporated.

OBJ is a field tilting player. The entire defense has to shade to his side. The Browns have not seen the likes of that since I have been alive. (JG doesn't count). The Steelers lost Antonio Brown and we got an Antonio Brown caliber of player.

With all of that said, 5th best odds to win the Superbowl...from Vegas? That seems like a pipe dream to me, I simply cannot believe it.

OBJ has consistently said he wants to be legendary, that word legendary is a direct quote. We're gonna find out.

Damanshot #1604888 03/19/19 10:11 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Just wondering, if by some chance, OBJ says, I'm not going to go to Cleveland, what happens to the trade? do we get Peppers back, do we get our 1st and 3rd picks back?

I don't think that scenario will happen, but if it did, I think we are stiffed on the deal.

Tackles are tackles.
Damanshot #1604890 03/19/19 10:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

He no longer gets a say. Even if he had a no-trade clause in his contract his opportunity to say anything was before the deal was finalized with the league office. Once it was submitted and processed, it was a done deal. He's not "coming to Cleveland", he is "IN Cleveland" (not physically, yet, but he is officially on the roster). He *IS* a Cleveland Browns player.

Should he make some whacked out decision to not play for us, which I do not get the feeling he is, he would be choosing to sit out on his contract. We own his rights, he would not be accruing seasons, he would not be playing, he would get nothing. Granted, we would get nothing as well, but there are provisions to allow a team to move such a player to a non-Active spot of the roster so that he wouldn't count against our 53. It requires league approval, but that's a formality.

Browns is the Browns

BpG #1604894 03/19/19 10:30 AM
Legend
Legend

It's a new world.

I was talking to friend last night telling him it is hard to process today versus going 1-31.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You're a funny guy. Here's what you posted above.....

Quote:
I felt the need as a FAN to look at the BEST CASE scenario's.

So you openly admitted that you chose to look at it from one angle. The most positive angle possible.

Then you get mad when someone actually agrees with you?

rofl

Save your BS for somebody else. I should have known better than to actually attempt a dialogue with you.

Sad, truly sad. Thats all you got in football discussion. You really don't know that much do you...smh
Sad frown

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Beckham Trade Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard