Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1605401 03/20/19 12:34 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Interesting how the aftermath of "The Trade" is spun by the media.

The first pass was the Giant's got robbed. Dorsey is a genius. The Browns are favorites to win the AFC North. The Browns are Super Bowl contenders. The Browns are the new "America's team". Best backfield in football. A fantasy team.
=======================================================

Now the crud comes. Freddie will have his hands full. Not enough balls to go around for Landry and Beckham. How is a first year head coach going to manage the ego's? OBJ wants his contract re-negotiated. Not enough balls to go around. How can Hunt and Duke exist together?

Oh so many problems. Poor poor Freddie.

PLEASE. Give me all the those problems. It was so entertaining watching Cody Kessler and DeShon Kizer.

Winning cures all evil. Freddie is about winning and that is all. If people feel Freddie can't handle this? I think they are looking through a distorted lens.

Freddie when first promoted galvanized the players. He got them into plays they were comfortable with. He took input from others and reset the focus of the team.

I am not worried about the "problems" or how Freddie will handle things.

The offense already has confidence in Freddie. The defense will work under Wilks. However, it not like Freddie will be invisible to them. He knows the game.

Freddie was a star quarterback. He was a big deal in high school and college. He played for one of the top programs in all college football. He climbed his way into this position.

When you have that frame of reference of having played the quarterback position you understand both offense and defense. It gives you a great perspective of what needs to happen.

IMO. Freddie will be fine. He has the right stuff. Winning cures whining. Freddie strikes me as the type that will let nothing interfere with winning.

What Me Worry? Nah.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Don Henley

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know about any of those things becoming problems. But like it or not they're all questions left to be answered.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm still hearing/reading how Dorsey fleeced Gettleman. The Giants are getting killed and rightfully so.

There is also word out there that other teams were willing to give up more for OBJ, but they never got the chance. Some have cited that Dorsey and Gettleman are friends and that is why the Browns made the deal.

I don't know if all--or any--of that is true, but it's out there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bottom line, we've never seen anything like this. Revel in the glory. (Though I have to admit I don't like the bragging about division wins and Super Bowl appearances before the first whistle.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I look at it like Dorsey sitting at a poker table... he was willing to push way more chips to the center than I would have. I don't feel like WR was a position of great need. Perriman was signed, we were "good to go".

There are some top-notch defenders (especially DL) at the top of the draft, we were in position to move up if we identified a transcendent player. I love Rashan Gary... would the Browns be better off with him on our DLine and without Beckham? We would have given up less. Peppers would still be here instead of a hole.

Put some more fuel on the fire... The cost of the contract (that OBJ may want reworked), the distribution of "balls", the personality mix. The expectations - of the fans, the players, the media. "Will the Browns figure a way to 'brown it up' like they always do?" The extra pressure on the coaching staff, etc... etc...

Those are all your negatives.

NOW. OBJ puts us over the top on offense. It's not cliche, DCs will have actual nightmares when the Browns are the next team on your schedule. It's been a really long time since I've seen this much offensive talent on one NFL team. As someone in the media said "that's not a roster, that's a fantasy draft". You have a second year QB who has already passed his first test with flying colors - surrounded by more talent than any QB in the NFL.

VG and OBJ are veritable artists at their craft; fast, precise, tough, hard-workers... Hands? Some may say we have the best four hands in the league. So good that these cats only need one each. It's ridiculous. Combine that with a QB that throws anticipated balls into tight windows with extreme accuracy. Need I say anything of Calloway, Higgins, Njoku, Chubb, Hunt and Duke (for now)? All bets are off, you cannot stop this team offensively - only they can stop themselves.

Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon will make Garrett look more like the superstar he is. Many NFL QBs will have similar nightmares. Will we still be gashed by NFL RBs? Time will tell. Can we fill the hole that Peppers leaves? I really feel like the kid was turning the corner last year. I'd say probably not, at least not in free agency. Can Duke be flipped for another marquee move by King John? Wouldn't doubt it. Will OBJ turn out to be a cancer? If he does (unless he does it in grand fashion), he'll just get flipped next year for at least the first we lost.

Dorsey pushed in a lot of chips, but he didn't go "all in". There's still plenty of cash in the coffers. And this is no bluff. This is now one of the strongest "hands" in the NFL.

I ain't worried Bone.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Winning cures all evil.

Win and I don't know that anyone will be upset at not getting the ball. However should we start to lose, it's only natural for those not getting the ball thinking they can make a difference and the team is suffering because they're not getting the ball. Despite all the losing, we really haven't seen much of this, but I think Beckham and Landry could both fall in this category.

FATE #1605420 03/20/19 01:27 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I am not trying to change your mind, but adding one of league's greatest players is way more important that drafting a guy who may or may not be a good DE.

I maintain that the Browns fleeced the Giants. This deal was a robbery. For once, it was the Browns who came out on top.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We did fleece them. I would think with all of the first round draft busts in our past this fan base has endured since 1999 they would realize a hope and a prayer is a much bigger risk than a proven player. Especially a HOF proven talent.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Bro, I am not trying to change your mind, but adding one of league's greatest players is way more important that drafting a guy who may or may not be a good DE.

I maintain that the Browns fleeced the Giants. This deal was a robbery. For once, it was the Browns who came out on top.

I agree! All I'm saying is that I wouldn't have had the balls to do it. I think I listed every negative possible and it still appears to be a brilliant move. At the end of the day - when given the opportunity - you cannot pass on HOF talent. This puts a lot of pressure on a new coaching staff, and new "chemistry" to succeed quickly. That's the only legitimate negative... and ONLY if some of the bumps in the road turn out to be huge potholes.

I was mostly playing Devil's Advocate, we're on the same page. thumbsup

FATE #1605432 03/20/19 01:51 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's cool, bro. It's hard to express tone on here. I wasn't challenging you or anything. I'm just thrilled we made the move.

Legend
Legend
I'm still hearing/reading how Dorsey fleeced Gettleman. The Giants are getting killed and rightfully

yup...Like Modell got for the Warfield trade. tongue

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Those aren't problems, what we just came out of was a problem ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

If anything, they're different problems and I welcome them with open arms.

CalDawg #1605443 03/20/19 02:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Bottom line, we've never seen anything like this. Revel in the glory. (Though I have to admit I don't like the bragging about division wins and Super Bowl appearances before the first whistle.)

I agree,, time to bragg (if you are going to do that) is after you do something, perhaps like WIN

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

If anything, they're different problems and I welcome them with open arms.

I will go with that wink

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Basically it will come back to Freddie.

I am going back to the series that covered Freddie from birth to now.

After reading that I believe it gave a good picture to who Freddie is.

That and reading the comments from guys like Carson Palmer and the people who know him.

I just do not see Freddie bending from who he is. He is about winning - period. I am thinking he will maintain that focus and make sure all are on the same page.

I saw the greeting Dorsey got from Richardson, Kush, Harris and Taylor. Really seemed genuine. Dorsey has surrounded Freddie with a good support and Dorsey will be front and center as well.

The players know the talent that has been added. Why would anyone not want to be a part of what is going on?

I very confident in Freddie, Dorsey and all that has been put into place.

Legend
Legend
Of course it's practically impossible to tell for sure for us fans, but my feeling is that Freddie is well respected by the players. That will go a long way to start things off, but in the end, it's what he says to each player or player group that will tell the story.

Man I want this guy to succeed.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Rookie
Rookie
Seems like the players love Freddie and i think it helps having Baker Being an alpha dog as qb

L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't put alot of weight in what people say about others with a microphone in front of them. You never hear their truth thoughts. Especially nowadays. I have some concerns with this team. We made weaker a unit that protects your most valuable asset while create another mouth to feed in a group that was pretty dang good at the end of the year. It was great trade only if the season is drama free and we have a adequate replacement for Zeiter. People are right to question Freddie, he's an unknown with a small sample size. He's been in the league a long time and never more than position coach. Its a big jump. He's got alot on his plate now between the personalities and the expectations all while learning on the job. We do have a seasoned and respected coaching and FO staff. Freddie has been given the best opportunity to succeed than any coach we've had since return. Alot rides on him. Its why I think he's probably got a shorter leash than a coach in a rebuild would get. Dorsey expects this team to come out and win asap. That being said I expect 12-4 this year..this is the year we figure it out

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Add in Kizer for D Randall and Dorsey should be walking around with a peg leg, eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Add in Kizer for D Randall and Dorsey should be walking around with a peg leg, eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder.

Lol. Maybe that's how it started... about a year ago the parrot was chanting "Ba-ker May-field" in his ear and he took it to heart. Crazier things have happened in Cleveland - a homeless dude got us JFF.

L
Legend
Legend
L

Or in a Jimmy Haslam mask with a Flying J polo *ducks*

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
FATE #1605482 03/20/19 02:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don' think it was actually the homeless guy. But what choice did they have? They had to blame that crap on somebody!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I read somewhere that Dorsey didn't consider pick 17 a 1st round value this year with regards to the trade. Of course, I can't find the article now, but I'll link it if I track it down again.

This kind of has me re-evaluating this draft. And it makes me kind of look at the trade in a new light. Peppers, a "2nd", and a 3rd for OBJ sounds a lot worse for the Giants.

OR it could just be gamesmanship by Dorsey and he's angling to trade up into the late 1st.

It is silly smoke and mirrors season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Online
Legend

In the past I would obsess over the draft.

Almost like I was responsible. No more.

I have barely looked at all. We have eight picks and of course players available for trade (Duke, Ogbah).

When you look at what Avery, Callaway, Harrison did last year. Even the guys that did not play much. I have no doubt that we will add some quality.

When the draft is over I will look at the players Dorsey drafted and our new look roster.

The 2019 Cleveland Browns will be a team well worth the ticket price and for those who have to the Direct TV ticket.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I have barely looked at all. We have eight picks and of course players available for trade (Duke, Ogbah).

When you look at what Avery, Callaway, Harrison did last year. Even the guys that did not play much. I have no doubt that we will add some quality.

When the draft is over I will look at the players Dorsey drafted and our new look roster.

The 2019 Cleveland Browns will be a team well worth the ticket price and for those who have to the Direct TV ticket.

That's EXACTLY where I am at.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I read somewhere that Dorsey didn't consider pick 17 a 1st round value this year with regards to the trade. Of course, I can't find the article now, but I'll link it if I track it down again.

This kind of has me re-evaluating this draft. And it makes me kind of look at the trade in a new light. Peppers, a "2nd", and a 3rd for OBJ sounds a lot worse for the Giants.

OR it could just be gamesmanship by Dorsey and he's angling to trade up into the late 1st.

It is silly smoke and mirrors season.

I read that also.

You're not hallucinating.

kwhip #1605529 03/20/19 05:31 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: kwhip

That's EXACTLY where I am at.

Me Too +1 thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Any deal that you can't re-create on Madden because the team you're trading with thinks it's a bad deal is a great trade in my book.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

In the past I would obsess over the draft.... No more.

Agreed. While it will still be interesting (and I will watch all 3 days), a lot of the excitement is gone. When we had the 1st pick, and more, I could barely contain myself...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't miss any of the draft, who knows what Dorsey will do, he may trade back into the first round ...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I won't miss any of the draft, who knows what Dorsey will do, he may trade back into the first round ...

I'll probably just monitor it on the most reliable site for Browns news... Dawgtalkers. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm still hearing/reading how Dorsey fleeced Gettleman. The Giants are getting killed and rightfully so.

There is also word out there that other teams were willing to give up more for OBJ, but they never got the chance. Some have cited that Dorsey and Gettleman are friends and that is why the Browns made the deal.

I have read some of that, but I don't think the Giants got rooked by any means. It was a win/win trade IMO.

The Giants had a disgruntled, star receiver. They need a good interior linerman, they needed to replace a in the box SS, and needed to rebuild.

Adding Zeitler and Peppers, along with another solid #1 pick and a 3rd round pick make them a better team then had they kept Beckham.

Sometimes you have to break it down and start over. We of all fans should know that.

I am not trying to start a Sashi/Depo debate. We won't go there, but the plan worked, and I am glad JD is the guy doing the building. How's that?

We now have teams copying what we just did.

Again, I don't think the Giants got rooked. I think they got a good deal that will improve them and we got a player who will improve us.

The art of the deal is that everybody walks away from the table feeling at least 50% satisfied. You don't like what you lost, but you like what you gained.

We like that we got a true #1 for a QB who looks to be pretty darn good, and the Giants filled a few positional needs and gained solid draft position to build the team.

A solid deal for all.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I have read some of that, but I don't think the Giants got rooked by any means. It was a win/win trade IMO.

The Giants had a disgruntled, star receiver. They need a good interior linerman, they needed to replace a in the box SS, and needed to rebuild.

Adding Zeitler and Peppers, along with another solid #1 pick and a 3rd round pick make them a better team then had they kept Beckham.

Sometimes you have to break it down and start over. We of all fans should know that.

I am not trying to start a Sashi/Depo debate. We won't go there, but the plan worked, and I am glad JD is the guy doing the building. How's that?

Again, I don't think the Giants got rooked. I think they got a good deal that will improve them and we got a player who will improve us.

The art of the deal is that everybody walks away from the table feeling at least 50% satisfied. You don't like what you lost, but you like what you gained.

We like that we got a true #1 for a QB who looks to be pretty darn good, and the Giants filled a few positional needs and gained solid draft position to build the team.

A solid deal for all.

That is a perfect analysis of it. Everyone got what they wanted, and left the door open for future trades if necessary.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The key is showing the patience. One analyst has tweeted that Oakland looked like they were going with our model, but got impatient and tried to jump to the end.

It seemed the Giants were working on our path, but then signed Golden Tate.

The plan takes time and patience.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know they said they combined the trades, but it was really two separate trades.

OBJ for the 17th overall pick, a late, late 3rd round choice, and Peppers.

That's a steal.

E
Legend
Legend
E

The key is showing the patience. One analyst has tweeted that Oakland looked like they were going with our model, but got impatient and tried to jump to the end.

It seemed the Giants were working on our path, but then signed Golden Tate.

The plan takes time and patience.

I dont think "the plan" will work for anybody else. Because they dont have John Dorsey. They will be tanking and rebuilding forever. Like we were. For the last 20 years.

I dont even feel there was "a plan". It was a right place right time right guy thing that happened when we hired Dorsey. We just got lucky.

No Craps Given
FATE #1605591 03/20/19 08:07 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: FATE

VG and OBJ are veritable artists at their craft; fast, precise, tough, hard-workers... Hands? Some may say we have the best four hands in the league. So good that these cats only need one each. It's ridiculous. Combine that with a QB that throws anticipated balls into tight windows with extreme accuracy. Need I say anything of Calloway, Higgins, Njoku, Chubb, Hunt and Duke (for now)? All bets are off, you cannot stop this team offensively - only they can stop themselves.

Oh. Did I go through a time warp or something. It's not even September yet.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I know they said they combined the trades, but it was really two separate trades.

OBJ for the 17th overall pick, a late, late 3rd round choice, and Peppers.

That's a steal.

Maybe so, but it went through as one deal.

Not arguing with you my friend.

In the end, it worked for all.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What Me Worry?

Link Copied to Clipboard