Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Just wondering, if by some chance, OBJ says, I'm not going to go to Cleveland, what happens to the trade? do we get Peppers back, do we get our 1st and 3rd picks back?

Or are we stiffed on the deal?

He no longer gets a say. Even if he had a no-trade clause in his contract his opportunity to say anything was before the deal was finalized with the league office. Once it was submitted and processed, it was a done deal. He's not "coming to Cleveland", he is "IN Cleveland" (not physically, yet, but he is officially on the roster). He *IS* a Cleveland Browns player.

Should he make some whacked out decision to not play for us, which I do not get the feeling he is, he would be choosing to sit out on his contract. We own his rights, he would not be accruing seasons, he would not be playing, he would get nothing. Granted, we would get nothing as well, but there are provisions to allow a team to move such a player to a non-Active spot of the roster so that he wouldn't count against our 53. It requires league approval, but that's a formality.

Ok,, that makes sense.. But we don't get Nothing, we still own his rights and if he ever wants to play again, he's gotta do one of two things, show up for us or show up to where we trade him to. Right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #1604919 03/19/19 11:18 AM
Legend
Legend
It's basically a La'veon Bell situation then.

I'm actually wondering if he's going to rehab.

ExclDawg #1604934 03/19/19 11:42 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Whatever he posted, he subsequently deleted.

Weird.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You're a funny guy. Here's what you posted above.....

Quote:
I felt the need as a FAN to look at the BEST CASE scenario's.

So you openly admitted that you chose to look at it from one angle. The most positive angle possible.

Then you get mad when someone actually agrees with you?

rofl

Save your BS for somebody else. I should have known better than to actually attempt a dialogue with you.

Sad, truly sad. Thats all you got in football discussion. You really don't know that much do you...smh
Sad frown

rofl

I know the quote of yours I posted is the very definition of a homer.

Having a bias toward your hometown team or toward the team for which you play/used to play.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Weird.

Welcome to Diva World, lol.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

A little drama, cryptic tweets, subtexts, going dark...

OBJ is our new Bron Bron. I love it.

ExclDawg #1604942 03/19/19 11:53 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I'm actually wondering if he's going to rehab.

He's on vacation.

Legend
Legend

Just a little attention grubbing by OBJ... get used to it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rehab? I don't believe OBJ has ever been in the program...

As far as I can tell he's never been arrested and has been nothing but a professional as far as his work ethic and accountability goes.

He is most certainly a Diva and while some will demonize it, he spoke the facts on Eli Manning.....who gets treated like royalty because of his last name.

Legend
Legend

Weird.

Not sure where I read it, but he's supposed to be in Paris France for something.. Not sure what

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #1604949 03/19/19 12:00 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Paris, Indiana. It's a fine place this time of year.

Tackles are tackles.
Damanshot #1604950 03/19/19 12:00 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure where I read it, but he's supposed to be in Paris France for something.. Not sure what

The Louvre pyramid turns 30. OBJ had to be a part of the celebration!

Milk Man #1604954 03/19/19 12:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Seriously, Did I just read that wrong?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
cfrs15 #1604967 03/19/19 12:19 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
He's on vacation.

I don't think this has anything to do w/him not wanting to play for the Browns. I don't think that even makes sense.

Dude was probably buzzed and was sick of people driving him crazy and wanted a break.

DiamDawg #1604984 03/19/19 12:48 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd also like to add that in the return game, losing Jabril was addition by subtraction.

I also don't think Dereck Kindred is nearly the drop off from Peppers that people might think on the surface. I remember going into last season thinking Kindred might win the job from Peppers.

Damanshot #1605017 03/19/19 01:30 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just wondering, if by some chance, OBJ says, I'm not going to go to Cleveland, what happens to the trade? do we get Peppers back, do we get our 1st and 3rd picks back?

Or are we stiffed on the deal?

Once the deal goes through, it goes through.

It's no different than if Baker decided he didn't want to play here anymore.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DiamDawg #1605083 03/19/19 03:47 PM
Legend
Legend
He should've just come out and said he was going dark, (his hair), for a few days.

#GMSTRONG
BpG #1605106 03/19/19 04:42 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
I'd also like to add that in the return game, losing Jabril was addition by subtraction.

I also don't think Dereck Kindred is nearly the drop off from Peppers that people might think on the surface. I remember going into last season thinking Kindred might win the job from Peppers.

I know we are loaded at WR but drafting Paris Campbell at #49 isn't as crazy as it may sound, he would be an other capable WR (behind OBJ, Landry, Callaway, and Higgins) but would solidify our Return game, he was an excellent returner when he was used at Ohio State …

Also I agree with you about Kindred ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Just about every head coach in the NFL became a head coach after being a coordinator - why would Kitchens be any different. What about being a coordinator qualifies you to be a head coach.

Did you read my whole post? I just think that's quite the jump to start the year as a positional coach and end up HC by the end of the season.

It is. Anthony Lynn just did practically thr same thing as Kitchens though and is doing well with the Chargers.

That's a great point, hopefully Freddie can make that jump.

As far as the AHC thing, was that a title put on after Hue was fired or was that at the beginning of the year?

Again, I am not doubting Kitchens as HC, but if I am being honest, sure, it worries me a little bit, but my god am i pulling for the guy.

He's seems just about as likable as any Browns coach we've had.

And I'm sure Hue set a great example of things not to do.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We're all pulling for him. I doubt anyone is NOT pulling for him, but expressing skepticism over his rapid rise to head coach based on a half season as a coordinator and our fear he would be poached if he was retained as OC (let's all be honest, this is why he got the job) fine as well. You can pull for someone to succeed while being skeptical at the same time, as they're not mutually exclusive.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not skeptical. Proof is in the pudding ( not sure where that expression came from ) He won games! Not only did he win games, you can tell he won by using players to the best of their abilities. He also ran unique plays and most of the time they worked. That is key Freddie is innovative and smart with his x's and o's. I think the 3 headed monster of Dorsey, Freddie and Baker defeats all rivals for years to come!

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
I also hope that his success as an OC translates to HC. There are plenty of examples of that not happening, though. Can't know 'til you tried it, though.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
After the trade went down, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported that Beckham (who has five years, $74 million left on his current contract) wants a new deal. Also, former teammate Saquon Barkley said Tuesday that he spoke to Beckham immediately after the trade and “I don’t think he was really happy about it."

This is from a PFT article. This Saquan quote is a new one for me. Everything I read/saw suggested that he was pretty excited to be coming here. Or at a minimum, happy about a change of scenery.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ial-media-post/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Is anyone "really happy about it" immediately after the trade?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Antonio Brown was.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

The comments all seem to be coming from Giants fans, also.

I don't know if he's happy or not... If you're not a Browns fan or Browns player, you can only imagine what it would be like being traded to the Browns... We were known around the league as one of the worst places to go. You come here to goof off and collect a pay check. Baker is changing the culture. The Browns are changing. We have hungry fans... In a year from now he'll say how this was the best thing that happened to him... I half expect Beckham to be here for a long time.

Legend
Legend
Antonio Brown was.

Cartoon characters don't count.

V
Legend
Legend
V
AB forced his way out of Pittsburgh. OBJ didn't. It wasn't an apt comparison.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I would think it has to be weird to be traded. It means someone didn't want you, so to speak... I'd imagine you'd have to be mentally tough. We hear about these trades all the time, but I'm sure it affects players in a manner we truly do not understand... especially with social media where you can see many fans he played hard for were happy to see him go. Reminds me of Couch a little.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
After the trade went down, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported that Beckham (who has five years, $74 million left on his current contract) wants a new deal. Also, former teammate Saquon Barkley said Tuesday that he spoke to Beckham immediately after the trade and “I don’t think he was really happy about it."

This is from a PFT article. This Saquan quote is a new one for me. Everything I read/saw suggested that he was pretty excited to be coming here. Or at a minimum, happy about a change of scenery.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ial-media-post/

Guy to his friend at his old company: Yeah, sucks I had to leave.

Guy to his friend at his new company: Yeah, I'm so glad to be here.

Saquan likely only knows about half of it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Man, I cannot wait until his first day in Berea; the first day both he and Landry are together again on the field.

I think that getting to Training Camp this year is going to be difficult. If it sold out last year, it is going to be sold out in a *blink* this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Honestly, I am not worried about OBJ in the sense of all of these reports that take a negative connotation towards his attitude and feelings post trade. I am not concerned about him "going dark".

In the case of many trades, GM and or coach talks one on one with the player. Thanks them for their service. Lets them know the plan moving forward. And in most cases, diffuses any bad feelings. For the most part. As was said earlier, there is always that feeling that someone did not want you.

In the case of OBJ. The guy is on vacation in Europe. All reports out there are that the Giants "didn't sign him to trade him". Was he completely happy in NY? No...but he was fully committed. And he does like the large market that NY is. It is the only team he has known in the NFL. A team he has won a Super Bowl with. Not to mention...how often does the best player in your position ever get traded...It happens...but not often and usually with plenty of signs ahead of time. He was not expecting to be traded.

Now he gets a phone call from Gettleman, in what was only described as "brief". Now we don't know what was said, and I may be looking too much into it. But it doesn't seem like there was much "diffusing going on in that phone call. I am sure it wasn't nasty...But One second you are chilling in Paris. The next second, your world has been turned around. A team you have bled for, now appears to not want you. Your phone starts to explode with friends, family, teammates, and reporters wanting to get your reaction. You realize that now you have to move to "Cleveland" (while better than the reputation, it is by no means the same as New York...And OBJ seems to like the flash and dash of New York) There are a million questions to be asked concerning your new team. And as you are in Paris, you feel a million miles away from home.

It is quite a lot to take in when it blindsides you. At this point you are not even thinking about where you are going, the team you are going to and whether you will like it there. All you thinking about is what the heck just happened??? I do not feel the Giants communication with him prepared him for this eventuality nor left him feeling the Giants were feeling any pain in trading him. For example the Browns, while ecstatic about getting Vernon, feel some pain in giving up Zeitler. Sure there are ok with the deal...and they felt this was best for the team...but a part of them will miss Zeitler...Corbett or no Corbett.

I don't have any proof of this...it is just my general impression from the limited information that is out there.

As he communicates more with his new team and gets to the facility. I think you will see "excitement". Despite all of the antics...it is more than generally known that Odell is a very good teammate and one of, if not THE hardest worker. I will not question his commitment. And I think he will be a perfect fit within this WR room.

I think we will see exactly what the Browns want to see...a "dangerous, contagious competition" that spreads to the whole team. Just seeing the Jarvis and Odell trying to out do each other will be ridiculous...lol It will only make them all better.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
One question that I haven't seen asked. Does anyone remember a Team whose starting 2 WR's were teammates and starters on their college team?

I mean, I am sure we have had teams with multiple receivers from the same College. But to have receivers from the same years as well as being the 2 starting receivers for that team???

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Man, I cannot wait until his first day in Berea; the first day both he and Landry are together again on the field.

I think that getting to Training Camp this year is going to be difficult. If it sold out last year, it is going to be sold out in a *blink* this year.

No kidding,, I'm so excited I may return to visit camp this summer again, haven't done that for a long time....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Pete. A couple of things:

--I don't recall a NFL team having two starting receivers who were both starters for the same collegiate team.

--I don't believe OBJ won a Super Bowl w/the Giants. I think they won their two w/Eli before OBJ got there.

--I don't think OBJ is indicating he is unhappy he was traded. I think he was on vacation and partying and put that tweet out there because he was sick of his phone blowing up. I think he deleted it later because the buzz wore off and he knew it would be controversial.

--I think OBJ is going to be a huge asset for the Browns and this trade was the biggest "splash" of the NFL off-season.

Milk Man #1605728 03/21/19 09:48 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
So this came as a surprise to him??? Dark? oh geeze I hope all the Giant fans who told me Good Riddance were not correct. Is this a Contract move? Or am I reading too much into this???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1605732 03/21/19 09:50 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
So this came as a surprise to him??? Dark? oh geeze I hope all the Giant fans who told me Good Riddance were not correct. Is this a Contract move? Or am I reading too much into this???

Listen to his teammates, they are sorry, very sorry to see him go.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It's a styrofoam tv brick. wink

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I am not skeptical. Proof is in the pudding ( not sure where that expression came from ) He won games! Not only did he win games, you can tell he won by using players to the best of their abilities. He also ran unique plays and most of the time they worked. That is key Freddie is innovative and smart with his x's and o's. I think the 3 headed monster of Dorsey, Freddie and Baker defeats all rivals for years to come!

What's the origin of the phrase 'The proof of the pudding'?
'The proof of the pudding' is just shorthand for 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. That longer version makes sense at least, whereas the shortened version really doesn't mean anything - nor does the often-quoted incorrect variation 'the proof is in the pudding'. The continued use of that meaningless version is no doubt bolstered by the fact that the correct version isn't at all easy to understand.

The meaning become clear when you know that 'proof' here is a verb meaning 'test'. The more common meaning of 'proof' in our day and age is the noun meaning 'the evidence that demonstrates a truth' - as in a mathematical or legal proof. The verb form meaning 'to test' is less often used these days, although it does survive in several commonly used phrases: 'the exception that proves the rule', 'proof-read', 'proving-ground', etc. When bakers 'prove' yeast they are letting it stand in warm water for a time, to determine that it is active. Clearly, the distinction between these two forms of the word was originally quite slight and the proof in a 'showing to be true' sense is merely the successful outcome of a test of whether a proposition is correct or not.

'The proof of the pudding is in the eating' is a very old proverb. The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations dates it back to the early 14th century, albeit without offering any supporting evidence for that assertion. The phrase is widely attributed to Cervantes in The History of Don Quixote. This appears to be by virtue of an early 18th century translation by Peter Motteux, which has been criticised by later scholars as 'a loose paraphrase' and 'Franco-Cockney'. Crucially the Spanish word for pudding - 'budín', doesn't appear in the original Spanish text. It is doubtful that 'the proof of the pudding' was a figurative phrase that was known to Cervantes.

The earliest printed example of the proverb that I can find is in William Camden's Remaines of a Greater Worke Concerning Britaine, 1605:

"All the proof of a pudding is in the eating."

The proof of the pudding is in the eatingIt is worth remembering that, as the phrase is quite old, the pudding wouldn't have been a sticky toffee pudding from the sweet trolley, but a potentially fatal savoury dish. In Camden's listing of proverbs he also includes "If you eat a pudding at home, the dog may have the skin", which suggests that the pudding he had in mind was some form of sausage. THE OED describes the medieval pudding as 'the stomach or one of the entrails of a pig, sheep, or other animal, stuffed with a mixture of minced meat, suet, oatmeal, seasoning, etc., and boiled'. Those of you who have ventured north of the border on Burns Night will recognize this as a fair description of a haggis - "the great chieftain o' the pudding-race", as Burns called it in the poem Address to a Haggis, 1786. medieval peasants, faced with a boiled up farmyard massacre, might have thought a taste test to have been a wise choice.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/proof-of-the-pudding.html
thumbsup

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Beckham Trade Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard