Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I did not read every sentence in this tread, just scanned it briefly but I saw no guess as to what we would need to offer to get him. Any ideas? If not a Duke type player, what 2020 draft pick would make this work?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Considering that McCoy is/was a Pro Bowl starter and Duke is a role player I would imagine we would have to kick in a middle round pick (3-5)also.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
L
Legend
Legend
L
i don't think we would..if anything they might be throwing in a late round pick.. We are helping them by freeing up cap and ridding them of a bad contract

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's a good question and one I don't believe anyone can answer with certainty. I think you have to look at the two main possibilities to see just how stark the difference may be in what it would require to land him.

Scenario #1: They are willing to keep him

If it's possible they may keep him on the roster if he's not traded, the price tag will probably be much higher. He's been a productive player for them and they may be considering other ways to make cap space. They're not going to give him away if he can be kept and be productive. In this scenario they're looking at the possibility of trading him and not looking at it as their only option.

Scenario #2: They feel they need to unload him due to cap restrictions

In this scenario the price could be much cheaper. In this case what would set the price is strictly based on what is offered. Depending on how many teams are bidding for his services and what they are offering, his price could be high, dirt cheap or somewhere in between.

My opinion is that with players out there on the FA market like Ndamukong Suh, if the Bucs feel a real need to get his salary off the books, the price woun't be very high.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
i don't think we would..if anything they might be throwing in a late round pick.. We are helping them by freeing up cap and ridding them of a bad contract

Tampa has already said that it would rake the right deal to come along for them to trade McCoy and that they would not just give him away.

As pointed earlier there are other ways for teams to add needed salary cap space.

Also McCoy was the 4th ranked interior dlinemen in QB hits last year with 21, Sheldon Richardson had 16 and we are paying Sheldon an average salary of $12,333,333 per year compared to McCoy's $13,000,000.

I think you are overvaluing the price for Duke, he probably wouldn't get more then a 5th rnd pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah and the giants aren’t trading Odell either. Sorry 7 million in the hole to just get draft picks in door. Someone with a big contract is getting cut or traded

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
www.overthecap.com ... TB has $1,834,105 over the cap they would take Duke for McCoy and be happy ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Considering that McCoy is/was a Pro Bowl starter and Duke is a role player I would imagine we would have to kick in a middle round pick (3-5)also.

They're the one with the dire need, we can offer just Duke and be willing to walk without a deal.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would want McCoy and A pick for Duke
Cap implications and age

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Hmmmm......

--The OBJ trade
--The Randall trade
--The Landry trade
--The Kessler trade
--The Hogan trade
--The Hyde trade

I think I trust Dorsey on how to handle trades.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Reading the last page or two of responses, overall my thoughts align with Vers. Hopefully, we'll get clear with him what his role would be. I hope it would be appealing to him to be a highly valued piece of a d-line rotation on a team with better playoff prospects than Tampa. I"m confident we could renegotiate his contract to a front-loaded deal If we want McCoy, trading is preferable to waiting for his release. The trade value of Duke for him seems equitable, on the surface. Duke has been underutilized here. He gets more opportunities in TB. McCoy gets to be a significant contributor both on the field and in the locker room for a team making a playoff push.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
This guy got some juice still. I would make that trade right now. Duke going back to Florida and getting to be featured, and McCoy getting up in age and going somewhere he can be active in the rotation, sounds like a win win to me.

The Dline rotation of Larry, Sheldon, and McCoy. What's not to like about that?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Prp, I don't think they are in as dire need as some think. McCoy has been on the trade block for a month now if Tampa was that desperate to get rid of him I think they would have pulled the trigger during the draft so they could have used the pick on a player they liked. As someone else said there are other ways they can come up with $8.5 mill in cap space they need.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
I believe JT. Only question is if the step is still there. Sounds like a decent trade. I think it might be better for Duke overall. Like him; would miss him; but life goes on. A few more sacks this year might mean games won. Wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I remain a wagering man. Value swap is OK by me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/C

I like McCoy but I'm not excluding other options. Especially when you consider Dorsey keeps doubling down that Duke won't be traded. I prefer McCoy but I would consider FAs like Corey Liuget or Benny Logan for that matter.

A rotation of Ogunjobi, Richardson and Coley is simply not enough.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've never heard Dorsey say he wouldn't be traded. He has said he's a valuable member of the team. That they have plans for Duke.

If I had to bet I would say that holds true for everyone that is on, or considered part of the 53 man roster. You're never going to say publicly that you are considering trading a player away.

I have no idea if there are talks that include trading Duke for McCoy. Some of these rumors that are put out make zero sense and have little to no merit.

Let's put it this way, would anyone have predicted that the Browns would trade Zeitler for Vernon? So while I'm not saying a trade like this will happen, I don't think anyone can rule it out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If they are desperate for cap space, I'd just offer a pick for him and keep Duke smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Prp, I don't think they are in as dire need as some think. McCoy has been on the trade block for a month now if Tampa was that desperate to get rid of him I think they would have pulled the trigger during the draft so they could have used the pick on a player they liked. As someone else said there are other ways they can come up with $8.5 mill in cap space they need.

Oh, they have time to work with, but only until they have to start signing their picks to get them into town. I think Draft picks are allowed to participate in the Rookie mini camp without a contract, but I think that's it - I don't think they can then do the follow-on OTA's and they definitely cannot come to Training Camp without a contract. So, once those dates start to roll around and it becomes more important to get those rookies in-house, the more pressure they will feel.

As for the other options, that takes two to Tango. McCoy can decline to restructure or do a new deal, giving them only the options of trade him or release him, or find another expensive veteran or two that they can restructure.

I think Dorsey & Tampa are currently playing poker; feeling each other out, seeing who will show a little panic first. They will be asking way too much and we will be low-balling them. The thing is, we do not NEED McCoy or anyone like him. He's a luxury pick up if we get him, so we can sit allll summer long, checking in with them regularly, and wait them out.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rate McCoy as a "nice to have" not a "must have". I'd also rate Duke as "it would be good to have him here but if he can bring value to the middle of the D-line it would be okay to lose him". Dorsey clearly knows the prices he's willing to pay on any given deal so I'm happy to patiently wait to see how this plays out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's provided that they don't have other teams interested in McCoy.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Is there any traction to this rumor? We have 6 pages of speculation and deal making by us the fans....not a bad thing, they are great convo's...just saying...

But I am at the point where I want to know if there is more concrete info as to what may be happening...are there talks going on...are there no talks going on...Are we close to a deal...are we not even trying? Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill? Or are we flying down on the right track?

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
C
Legend
Legend
C
Doerschuk was essentially first on the OBJ trade and he is the one who wrote the article about McCoy. There are also others on Twitter who know things who have brought attention to this rumor.

Last edited by cfrs15; 05/01/19 10:33 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think I might have said it more strongly than Dorsey, I'll admit that. But Dorsey has repeated as recently as yesterday that there are no plans to trade Johson. Of course, he hasn't said that there are absolutely no circumstances under which Duke could be moved. We are all aware that gamesmanship is part of teams doing deals with each other.

T
Legend
Legend
T
On 2nd thought, the trade mentioned may be a bad idea. You can't put too much into a defensive line until at some point you'd mess up the chemistry and then be worse off than if you hadn't.

If you took away the Vernon and Richardson additions, then sure, but at this point, or make that at "some" point, it'll be tuff for everyone to find suitable roles; That maximize the benefits of the trades
and if you put too much money in the D-line, or any one area, eventually something will have to give.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
On 2nd thought, the trade mentioned may be a bad idea. You can't put too much into a defensive line until at some point you'd mess up the chemistry and then be worse off than if you hadn't.

If you took away the Vernon and Richardson additions, then sure, but at this point, or make that at "some" point, it'll be tuff for everyone to find suitable roles; That maximize the benefits of the trades
and if you put too much money in the D-line, or any one area, eventually something will have to give.

The time to win is now. Worry about money after we get the ring. As far as chemistry I don’t think it will hurt, you’re basically upgrading Larry and coley with two more productive guys

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
These are big, heavy men that you are asking to go all out whenever they're on the field. If you want them to be effective well into the 4th quarter, to the end of the game, you MUST have a rotation of at least 3-4 good big men to man the interior D-Line at a high level of performance. You're worried about chemistry? I'm worried about getting gashed by the opponent's run game in the 4th quarter because my undermanned interior D-Line has been out there too long.

Legend
Legend

Cal that is the way I feel about it as well.

Dorsey does not play an open hand. If the deal is right he will make it.

Dorsey will say all the right things publicly. At the same time he will do anything he can to improve the team chances to win games.

McCoy would seem to be a good fit.

I have maintained from when Hunt was added Duke's days are numbered. That is why Duke requested the trade.

There are only so many touches. For the first eight games Duke has a role. After that his role would be depth.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To make a serious push for the playoffs Coley needs to be the fourth member of a four-man interior d-line rotation. The team needs to acquire a player that will push Coley to the fourth spot in that rotation. If it's McCoy or another player is an open question.

Veron along with Richardson are certainly upgrades but I'm uncertain they are enough to stop this team from being gashed between the tackles as they often were last season. I think Dave mentioned his concerns about fatigue in the fourth quarter. On multiple occassions, at times this happens in the middle of the first half. Certainly against Pittsburg, Baltimore, KC, and the Chargers.

Legend
Legend
It would be a helluva thing to have either McCoy or Ogun as our 3rd DT. Flip that coin, it looks pretty good no matter which side is up.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
McCoy is great against the run and doesn’t miss tackles. I was reading an article that said given his age and contract they’d should take a swap of picks or a late rounder and run because that’s about the best they can hope for

V
Legend
Legend
V
I really was hoping we would sign Richardson. Some of us even talked about the possibility before it happened. I will say that I thought he was an excellent run defender due to the games I watched. However, I read some reports on him that said he was more of a pass rusher than a run stuffer.

Ogunjobi isn't very good against the run. He gets pushed around some. Coley is okay, but not dominant. I think the three guys are pretty good together, but I believe we still need another DT who is a run stuffer. There's nothing worse than getting the ball crammed down your throat.

McCoy or Suh seem like logical choices.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC, I think the opposition, of views is concerning others might not realize, I hold a very high opinion of Trevon Coley, and another high opinion of Ogunjobi, in respect to their abilities.
If it's a rotatation worry, Ekuale, Chris Smith, and Chad Thomas, it's a rotation pushing one of them to a more limited role.
I see it as asking to pay 13 million/year to replace Ekuale,

and then eventually you'll find somebody from some position group, and no cap money to pay.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think just getting Ogunjobi and Coley healthy will help our D Line a lot. McCoy would still be nice. He feels a little bit like a luxury over a need to me, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

From what I'm reading, don't sleep on DT Carl Davis. Not used under GW, but re-signed/extended awhile ago. He was a surprise cut by the Rats before we put him on our 53. He's played...and played well...in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
So do you know him as far as chemistry history? Would McCoy as a luxury (I liked that .!) be good for the locker room, good with rooks, and stuff? I do not know any knocks on him myself. Can never surround yourself with too much quality.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not ignoring that Richardson and Vernon should help this d-line. But I'm also not in denial that any of the guys from Coley to Lawrence will suddenly become different players. We can either stand pat with Coley, Price, Davis, and Lawrence or, we could acquire a player whose career productivity surpasses each one of them. Even at his "advanced" age of 31, McCoy is the better player, it's not even close. Davis was released from one of the better d-line units in Baltimore. He couldn't compete there so it's hard for me to accept that his game has changed significantly now. He couldn't even beat out Brian Price for reps on our porous d-line in 2018.

I don't think you give McCoy a starting job. His enticement to become a Brown is the real possibility of going to the playoffs. The money can be worked out. Not having to carry the load in Cleveland would also extend his career. If not McCoy, then Luiget. Suh would be a hard get because he's always been expensive.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So do you know him as far as chemistry history? Would McCoy as a luxury (I liked that .!) be good for the locker room, good with rooks, and stuff? I do not know any knocks on him myself. Can never surround yourself with too much quality.

From everything I've read, he's always been great in the locker room. He's also always been the starter and comes off the field as little as possible. I'm just not sure how whoever got bumped from being the starter would handle it. It could work out amazing, it's just kind of an unknown. Super-competitive people want to be on the field as much as possible. Spending roughly 1/3 of the time on the sideline would be an adjustment. Certainly something that could work, but with our history, I'm kind of hyper vigilant towards potential landmines.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I think McCoy will be a great pick up.

I'm hoping of course we will have a lot of 3 and outs and our guys will be fresh. But big guys going all out running downfield with a full motor like we want them and they don't have to pace themselves as we got 3 excellent DTs.

Also if we are going against a run run team Richardson can play some DE...also I wish us to be dominant on 3rd and short which we will bring in McCoy with the other 2.

Just gives us many ways to utilize the talent we have.

I'm blurting out possible usages but the fact is when you got talent you got the opportunity to think out of the box and dominate teams.

We can absorb his cap hit...Tampa cannot.

We don't have to see the end of his contract if we do not wish to and it won't create any dead money.

He is 31 as compared to our other two DTs....so I'm sure he will understand the Starting position scenario. And we also could see Larry sitting down and coming in at opportunities.
I see that as a possible scenario.

jmho...if it happens it can only be good for us!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Need to be as strong as possible against the Run. Look at the schedule next year and there are a number of teams which could be potentially run heavy teams:

1. Baltimore (2)
2. Pittsburgh (2)
3. Buffalo
4. Seattle
5. New England - if your D dictates
6. San Francisco
7. Tennessee
8. New York Jets (with Bell)
9. Los Angeles Rams

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interested in Gerald McCoy?

Link Copied to Clipboard