Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I'm not ignoring that Richardson and Vernon should help this d-line. But I'm also not in denial that any of the guys from Coley to Lawrence will suddenly become different players. We can either stand pat with Coley, Price, Davis, and Lawrence or, we could acquire a player whose career productivity surpasses each one of them. Even at his "advanced" age of 31, McCoy is the better player, it's not even close. Davis was released from one of the better d-line units in Baltimore. He couldn't compete there so it's hard for me to accept that his game has changed significantly now. He couldn't even beat out Brian Price for reps on our porous d-line in 2018.

I don't think you give McCoy a starting job. His enticement to become a Brown is the real possibility of going to the playoffs. The money can be worked out. Not having to carry the load in Cleveland would also extend his career. If not McCoy, then Luiget. Suh would be a hard get because he's always been expensive.

Just to be clear...I am not suggesting that Davis is equal to McCoy. I just said to not 'sleep on' Davis. The scuttlebutt is that he and GW didn't 'mesh'. (BTW, I've read the same with Chad Thomas.) Then we see that Davis was quietly re-signed this off-season. Dorsey and Wilks must see something they like in him.

Davis being cut by a team with a very good interior DL is not a bad mark against Davis. You posted as if it's a bad thing that he couldn't cut it on a team with "one of the better D-line units". It's not unreasonable to think that Baltimore's sixth (and released) DT is better than was our fourth DT at this time last year.

Coley played through injuries last year if I remember correctly. Healthy and not asked to be a starter, he might be better than he has been since he's been here.

That said, McCoy would be a significant upgrade over any backup DT on the roster...no doubt. However, his contract IS a problem...if it wasn't a problem, he'd not be "available".

I read an article this morning that suggested the likely candidates in a trade are us and the Raiders. They have more cap space (especially after 2019) and can offer him a starting position. We are thought to be a playoff contender - something McCoy has "never even sniffed" (using his own words). Lastly, none of his current contract is guaranteed. I could see us trying to re-negotiate his contract if we trade for him and I would think we would be all over him if he were released.

Legend
Legend
A DL with Garrett, Vernon, Richardson, McCoy is SCARY

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I love Duke but if they offered McCoy for Duke Straight Up ... Done Deal thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good well-reasoned post. I understand where you're coming from much more clearly.

BTW, not that you said it but if we did sign McCoy I don't envision him as a starter instead of Ogunjobi. Larry has earned his spot. I consider him a foundational piece. I'd establish up front with McCoy that he would be a complimentary addition in a good rotation. If he didn't see himself in that role it would lessen my interest in bringing him in.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I was trying to think of a comparison for us if we got McCoy. The best comp I could come up with is Seattle in 2013 (the year they won the Super Bowl). They had a bunch of very talented players (Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Chris Clemons, Red Bryant) that they moved all along the line to exploit the best matchups. The difference is that none of those guys had the upside of Myles Garrett. That line wrecked tons of teams.

I can't wait for the season to start.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" can't wait for the season to start." Me too man. I am really looking forward to this season. No reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. We have the talent, we shall see if we have the coaching.

I'm actually contemplating buying a jersey. Haven't done that since the move when I burned all of mine... Kicking myself now for sure! Hundreds of dollars worth of jerseys, hats, etc.

I think they finally have this thing heading in the right direction... Now, do I get a Landry jersey or a Chubb jersey? Difficult dilemma...

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
j/c

His current contract, that we would take on should we trade for him:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gerald-mccoy-6512/

2019: $13 million salary, no bonus, no guaranteed
2020: $10 million salary, $2.5 million bonus on 3rd day of league year, no guaranteed
2021: $10.432253 million salary, $2.5 million bonus on 3rd day of league year, no guaranteed

We could easily absorb all of that.
We could cut him at any time without any real impact.
We could re-work his deal to a new four year deal that converts most of that to a signing bonus and performance escalators with smallish salaries - that puts a fat chunk in his pocket now, lets us spread that hit over four years, lowers our outlay to retain him, and keeps him chasing performance to hit those escalators. Win-Win.

The negative of reworking a deal is that it adds dead cap if we cut him.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Blowing his fingers off and now breaking his neck. He's definitely had a strange collection of offseasons.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This obviously makes retaining McCoy a greater need by the Bucs. I'm not a contract guru but by what I'm seeing on Sortrac it would cost around $14 in cap space to keep JPP on the active roster. It looks like it cost bout $7.5 mill in dead money if he were released. I don't know how any type of injury designation would impact his cost. Timing would still seem to remain an important element. Regardless of this latest bad news they will still need to do something to create cap space to sign their full draft class. I don't know if dragging out the McCoy saga presents any benefit. LIke most teams I"m sure they want to get their full class signed before training camp.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Blowing his fingers off and now breaking his neck. He's definitely had a strange collection of offseasons.

Not strange, not really. Just predictable results of irresponsible activity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Sorry to laugh...LOL....no kidding...wow.

A broken neck and football isn't a good thing....heck, it isn't good any time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
JPP's injury makes their need for cap space even greater. I bet we could get McCoy for a fifth round pick (and that might be overpaying).

Legend
Legend
Getting McCoy would be a huge get.

The front four (five) would be able to apply pressure without a blitz. It would make the linebackers and secondary better.

I have been watching daily for something to happen.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/10/19 08:55 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Does anyone know how good McCoy is against the run. I don't watch Tampa Bay much.

Legend
Legend
I don't watch TB often so I can not say.

What I do know is he has been a 6 time Pro Bowler and consistently productive. His numbers dropped some last year he missed some games.

But he has always had a great reputation as a teammate and high effort guy.

Coming to the Browns could be one of those type moves that regenerate a guy. Things sound pretty sour in Tampa.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/10/19 09:19 PM.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you, Grateful. You provide a ton of great information to the rest of us. I really appreciate your efforts. thumbsup

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Years back, I remember the time one Jerry Ball gave us. Saw him at camp in Berea, shirt off, and just massive. He had game left, so regeneration is not to be ruled out. Got his autograph. One of this fan's faves!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Playoff is a bonus incentive. Little extra. nanner

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I love Duke but if they offered McCoy for Duke Straight Up ... Done Deal thumbsup

No, ... No,

A running back has way more impact on a game than any defensive lineman.
A running back with Duke's skill set of being the pass cathing type threat that he is, and with the effective running game he has even not being over used in the past, so there aren't too many miles on his legs so to speak.

Duke, for the style of player he is, even if he took a step back in his effectiveness for a time, would still be more valuable to effect the outcomes of games and a season than what a D-lineman offers you.

It's like, everyone understands kickers only kick, and only take the field a few plays a game, so nobody would argue a kicker is more valuable than a number 1 Wr who might score 15+ td's a year.

A D lineman is only going to get to the QB sometimes, and even if he gets a big play, if it results in 2nd and very long, the team can still convert on the next play and totally negate the D linemans play. (or often winds up with an "automatic 1st down penalty" in this league)

Running backs, WR's Qb's, they score TD's and those effect the outcomes of games and seasons to a greater extent than the difference a team gets

from having a little greater upside at a D lineman, vs. having a D lineman with standard affectiveness.

Even if/since/though he's asked for a trade, Duke is still a more valuable asset.

Runningback > D-lineman, especially if you already have enough effective D lineman to hold the line of scrimmage so to speak,
I mean if there were a glaring hole and absolutely no way to stop the run or get pressure do to complete incompetence at one or more of the starting D-line spots then there could be an argument,

but, having enough already, the benefits derived by the upside of the person to person improvement to upgrade your last, one of your last D-linemen from average or above, to better than average or sometimes great, doesn't equal, as a value gain, the effectiveness toward scoring points and then winning, that would be the decrease of losing a runningback with the abilities to sustain offensive drives and make catches and provide value, in a dynamic way,

Even if the team, lowered the usage of Duke, and doesn't know what a player they have in him, and how to make proper use of his effectiveess by getting the ball to him in space .. in 2018, or 17, like they did in 16

Doesn't take away the ability that is present if they would just choose to make use of this again,

and FOR THAT! Duke is too valuable for a straight up trade.

But other people will hold differing views, but it's not an exact science. Talent is not an exact science that can be measured in wonderlic scores and work out numbers, those are just indicators to try and help,

But that's why they play the games, that's football.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
This story keeps lingering. Where there's smoke...who knows??? It would cap off what already looks like a tough defensive front.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

IMO.

We are not talking Chubb who is our lead back. In addition Chubb can catch the ball.

Duke is a decent player. However, he has not been the lead back and will not be the lead back. So his touches are limited inside an offense that is going to throw the ball.

After eight games Duke will be the odd man out. Even now Hilliard is well thought of.

McCoy was the third pick in the first round. Highly rated DL will always be picked over a runner like Duke. Sequon is an exception to go second as a RB. And Duke is no Sequon.
McCoy was selected to six straight Pro Bowls. Wiki his stats.

McCoy plays as a part of a unit. Where individuals skills benefit unit skills. When you upgrade a position. You upgrade a unit.

There is a phrase "defense wins championships". When you can limit the opposing offense in scoring your percentage to win games goes up.

Duke has never been to a Pro Bowl. His impact with the Browns at this time is limited and will be so even further after Hunts eight games.

McCoy will contribute the entire year and do so at a higher level. IMO.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The only real value Duke holds is as an insurance policy for the first 8 games. IMO he is easily replaced on this team. Hilliard may have already replaced him.

You also have to consider that Dorsey is doing what most GM's do and purge the roster of players they didn't select, keeping only the out and out good players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kirksey and Schobert cut in favor of the drafted guys. Maybe not both this year, one might be kept.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 05/11/19 11:52 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am a fan of Duke. I'd prefer the team to acquire McCoy without including Duke in the deal but I don't accept the idea that running backs are generally more valuable than D-tackles. Surely not a running back who is relegated to a third-down change of pace role compared to an interior d-lineman who has above average production in both run defense and pass defense.

Below are two sites with their own positional rankings. To be fair these rankings vary widely. Neither has RB, especially third down back above interior d-line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ack-to-returner

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659...days-nfl#slide0

Again in the spirit of full disclosure, the ranking below does put running back and d-lineman on the same tier but even then gives a nod to the d-line.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1556...to-tiers#slide5

When looking at this issue in context it becomes clear that the Browns better be as prepared or over prepared to stop the run when this season opens. Eight of our 2019 opponents were in the top 15 rushing teams in the league. In order of their rankings: 1, Seatle; 2, Baltimore; 3, LA Rams; 5, NE; 7, Tennesse; 9, Buffalo; 12, Denver and 13, San Fransico. See the link below.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks for the info, but not many would even consider that a 3rd down back is more important than McCoy would be if here.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grateful's posts are always great.

I think we get McCoy.

Let the NFL beware.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

When looking at this issue in context it becomes clear that the Browns better be as prepared or over prepared to stop the run when this season opens. Eight of our 2019 opponents were in the top 15 rushing teams in the league. In order of their rankings: 1, Seatle; 2, Baltimore; 3, LA Rams; 5, NE; 7, Tennesse; 9, Buffalo; 12, Denver and 13, San Fransico. See the link below.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Wow. We meet six of the eight in the first half of the season, four in the first five weeks. We'll be tested by the elite, early and often.

1, Seattle: Week 6
2, Baltimore: Week 4
3, LA Rams: Week 3
5, NE: Week 8
7, Tennessee: Week 1
9, Buffalo: Week 10
12, Denver: Week 9
13, San Francisco: Week 5

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

IMO.

We are not talking Chubb who is our lead back. In addition Chubb can catch the ball.

Duke is a decent player. However, he has not been the lead back and will not be the lead back. So his touches are limited inside an offense that is going to throw the ball.

After eight games Duke will be the odd man out. Even now Hilliard is well thought of.

McCoy was the third pick in the first round. Highly rated DL will always be picked over a runner like Duke. Sequon is an exception to go second as a RB. And Duke is no Sequon.
McCoy was selected to six straight Pro Bowls. Wiki his stats.

McCoy plays as a part of a unit. Where individuals skills benefit unit skills. When you upgrade a position. You upgrade a unit.

There is a phrase "defense wins championships". When you can limit the opposing offense in scoring your percentage to win games goes up.

Duke has never been to a Pro Bowl. His impact with the Browns at this time is limited and will be so even further after Hunts eight games.

McCoy will contribute the entire year and do so at a higher level. IMO.

IMO, you need 4 RB's, (but they never have em) that can legit start and not be a liability on gameday, so let's say 3.
I'm not as high on Hilliard as some here.

The D'.. front 7 are drafted higher to stop the prolific runners, and passers so draft position, every year we see it,
I put it down to (DL) there's 4 on the field, sometimes 3, sometimes 5 on goal line or 4th and 1, and when the league has 32 teams vs the old 28 or less, .. the talent pool, you really gotta get what you can because one bad spot really gets exploited in the league.

Everyone knows Hunt is out 8 games, and if I hold the view it's the team not getting Duke the ball,
as more of , (or moreso than some, not an entirety but a percentage), of his not looking like as good of a player, ... or as much so, as Hunt looked in KC,
VERSES Hunt's amount of being a better person 1 v 1 than Duke at the position,

than I might think Hunt won't look as good in Cleveland as Hunt looked in KC, due to the reason the Browns scheme won't use that position as often.

.. The phrase "Defense wins championships", I agree it has merit, But people ignore the 2nd word, "wins",

It's because in my view, the "getting" to the championships, (With great offense, talent and play) weeds out all the teams without the Best offensive performances,

So when you get to that Championship, everyone there is demonstrating the utmost levels of offensive abilities, including your opponent, and (talent and play) on defense, plus offense, are to a point where ,, well:
If everybodys a perfect player offense has an advantage, even if it's slight,

Thus the phrase! when you get there, the "play" not the "talent" , because we'll assume at this said championship everybody's a perfect(ish) player,

and if so, the offense has the advantage, Wherein!!!

The phrase defense wins championships, is correct because,
The Defense, that rises it's level of "Play", on the day, to meet that disadvantage "wins championships"

But if you never have the offense, which the team rarely does, you continue in 3rd/4th place division finishes, weeded out of getting near that championship which "defense wins".

Now, On the again subject of McCoy trade for Duke straight up,

I might hold the view it's less of a win for the Browns on a sliding scale as the Browns', (before the trade), talent on the D-line slides more toward a great D-line, vs sliding the other way toward being a D-line with needs and holes that'll get exploited.

You said, " McCoy will contribute the entire year and do so at a higher level"

I feel the same way, but let me rank who I feel the same way about.

These Browns, we'll include McCoy, let's say McCoy joind the Browns via trade, I feel these Browns will contribute the entire year and do so at a higher level.

Level 1, Level 2, Level 3,

Myles Garrett 1,
Trevon Coley 2,
Larry Ogunjobi 2,
Sheldon Richardson 1
Olivier Vernon 2,
Chris Smith 3,
Chad Thomas 3,

Gerald McCoy, 1, so we'll say McCoy is #1 level, and I think #3 still means these guys will contribute the entire year and at a higer level,

My point being, if the above was worse, then the McCoy trade would become more attractive.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
the attractive thing about McCoy would be that his salary has 0 guaranteed money after this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Eight of our 2019 opponents were in the top 15 rushing teams in the league.

I listed our run defense on the Concerns thread. That information you posted is relevant. According to the information that Grateful posted, McCoy could help us defend the run.

I would be happy if we acquired him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I wonder if Chad Thomas is playing a factor in the Browns not signing or trading for a DT. It's said the Browns are high on him. His bio page says he played in 4 games in 2018, with no stats. I honestly don't remember seeing him at all. It would be wonderful of he's been a gem hiding on our bench this whole time due to injury, but I have my doubts.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
is Thomas seen as an inside dt or an edge guy?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I think that he is seen as a guy who can do both, but his size would probably indicate DE.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think that he is seen as a guy who can do both, but his size would probably indicate DE.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that McCoy is a 3-Tech DT.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that McCoy is a 3-Tech DT.

McCoy is, but Chad Thomas is a versatile inside.out guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hilliard is a down grade from Duke...I wish for us only to make upgrades in our moves.

I think we are waiting on the Bucs to release McCoy so they can get cap room currently at around 15mil...that is pretty much the hit McCoy will make and he is on a 6 year...54 mil guaranteed contract. I'm pretty sure there will be dead money if they just release him.

The trade straight up for Duke makes sense. Maybe not in talent vs. talent but they would be able to drop a 6 year contract worth 95million with 4 remaining. I am not sure if that is a good move for us economically or not? Still I think he has some good game in him especially in a solid rotation that when he is 34 we can redo the contract or release him I don't think he would see the entire 4 years from us. Two championship years would be enough. Then we would need the space to sign some of these young pups doing a great job!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

McCoy has more leverage than the average vet here.

The Bucs don't want to lose him for nothing. I have no idea if they face a dead cap blitz if he's released. He's unlikely to voluntarily take a paycut when he can wait-it-out and see if a new team acquires him WITH his new contract...however unlikely that is.

If what I'm gathering on the interwebs is correct, there are only two teams that COULD reasonably absorb his existing contract right now - us and the Raiders.

McCoy holds the cards in any trade negotiation where the acquiring team wants to re-negotiate his contract. He can agree to renegotiate if traded to a team he desires...he can just-say-no to renegotiating with a team he does not desire.

McCoy may also consider his playing situation on his new team. He is unlikely to be a starter here...but is most-likely a starter with the Raiders. His additional consideration is that the Browns are sitting IN a playoff window - a place where McCoy has never been. While the Raiders are trying to build that same window but just have some pieces/parts right now.

I'd like to keep Duke, but if he's what it takes to get McCoy (with a renegotiated deal) then I'm all in. FWIW, don't sleep on the UDFA RB from Miami Trayone Gray - 6'1" 233 and ran a 4.37 at his pro day (4.48 at the combine). THAT is after recover from a knee injury. Low miles...willing to play FB or RB...injured and stuck behind some good RBs during his career.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interested in Gerald McCoy?

Link Copied to Clipboard