Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Legend
Legend
D
What can u tell from being 14th in first down % per catch ... rofl ...

U use one stat to draw a conclusion (a BS one at that) and your telling me to do better .... okie dokie smokie .... i’ll try my best to do better and meet that high standard .... thumbsup

All Pro
All Pro
Landry's hands were tied for biggestin his class (10.25")...with Kelvin Bejamin (who is 6'5") smile

OBJ was 3rd at 10" flat.

The circumference at dead center of an NFL regulation football is 22". They could almost wrap there hands entirely around the ball even at its widest point..

My Hands are 8.75" frown

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
...but where VG is head and shoulders above him and always will be is quickness and hands .... he’s very very quick ... Higgins isn’t ... u can’t teach that .... Higgins can get quicker and better but he simply doesn’t ahve the feet and hips VG does .... VG is simply more physically gifted in that regard .....

I agree. You can 'get' quicker or faster...but that might not necessarily make you quick or fast...and you'll likely never get to elite levels.

The only thing Higgins has over Landry is he's a couple inches taller and a couple years younger...well that and his contract. (Not going there.)

Like I've/you've said...Callaway 'could' surpass Landry and Higgins 'could' be Landry-like but unlikely to surpass Landry. I do think that Higgins looks like a better fit 'outside' than does Landry and Landry looks better 'inside'. I have no 'football' to support that belief...just what it looks like in my eyes.

Legend
Legend

Maybe just maybe some would understand what the goal of an offense is and how receivers fit within.

Someone who does understand is John Dorsey.

If anyone wants to debate the importance of his conclusions have at it. So when Dorsey first became the GM of the Browns what was one of his first moves? He orchestrated a trade for Pro Bowl receiver Jarvis Landry.

Why?

Because he knew the kind of player Landry is and the impact he would have on his young team.

When Todd Haley was the OC and on Hard Knocks does anyone remember when he pulled Jarvis aside and asked him to put Callaway under his wing? Why would he do that?

Trying to build an argument about Landry behind stats or cherry picking stats to try and win a "argument".

Shows a lack of understanding of what team contributions and team goals are about.

Watch games and pay attention to offensive results and how they happen. Watch the impact of the players on the field.
Receivers are on the field for all the offensive plays. When they don't catch the ball what is their role and how good are they at performing that role?

What coverage are they drawing? How do they block downfield?

To somehow try and diminish what Landry is as a player displays a lack of understanding of offensive goals.

That is something John Dorsey understands completely.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That of all of Higgins catches, 69.2% resulted in first downs. It's not that hard. It could be as a result of a direct throw that got the first or his YAC that aided in moving the chains.

And yards per reception is a BS stat?? Haha, ok.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Landry's hands were tied for biggestin his class (10.25")...with Kelvin Bejamin (who is 6'5") smile

OBJ was 3rd at 10" flat.

The circumference at dead center of an NFL regulation football is 22". They could almost wrap there hands entirely around the ball even at its widest point..

My Hands are 8.75" frown

Despite his big hands, he did have 11 drops last season. Hopefully, he can clean those up. Not really a red flag, but each time it happened I was surprised, which I probably shouldn't have been by the time he hit the last one.

Link

I can't find a breakdown of which games they happened in. I'm guessing the switch from Tyrod to Baker may have been a factor.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that Landry is only 26 and should still be in his prime. It feels like he has been around for awhile. While I'm not sure he has as much room for growth as the younger guys, there's no reason he should be declining either.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

Rashard Higgins was a fifth round selection. Last year he was a restricted free agent.

First, the “original-round tender” part of the equation…

Higgins was a fifth-round pick by the Browns back in 2016. The original round tender means any team who signs Higgins to a restricted free agent offer sheet will be required to send the Browns a fifth-round pick (his original round) as compensation.

Rashard Higgins signed a 1 year, $2,025,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including an average annual salary of $2,025,000. In 2019, Higgins will earn a base salary of $2,025,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,025,000.

Fair Market Value.

Legend
Legend
a tad concerned that Corbett has not done well thus far, but granted it's early

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
U and I only disagree on one thing ... U think more of Higgins and his upside than i do ... and i like Higgie just fine ... this isn’t a slam on him ....

I don’t think he has a shot of ever being as good as VG ... i actually think Higgie has a better shot of being cut this year than ever being as good as VG and i’d Say Higgins is about 98.5% guaranteed to be on the roster ... hey, u never know, its an extreme long shot but if Ratley, Willies and Strong shine ....

Legend
Legend

Pretty clear message of what Dorsey believes Higgins value is.

I wish him well and hope he continues to develop as is able to contribute to the team.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Pretty clear message of what Dorsey believes Higgins value is....

I disagree...we could match any offer and keep him...other teams knew that...no need to pay more than we HAVE to. He got a $2mil deal...not big...not bad. He has to prove he can do "it" consistently. We were in the driver's seat on that one.

Legend
Legend

Second contract.

A fifth round tender and a one year deal.

Obviously "a show me more deal."

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
a tad concerned that Corbett has not done well thus far, but granted it's early

With no physicality between OL and DL. There is no contact allowed in OTAs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
One question. How do we know Corbett has not done well? They haven't even worn pads with no contact.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
One question. How do we know Corbett has not done well? They haven't even worn pads with no contact.

Good point. I also wonder how Harrison is progressing this off-season. Guess that's why they practice WITH pads...can't wait!

Legend
Legend
just because they've been rotating him i guess

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the article, Grateful.

Pluto has put out some crap the last couple of years, but that is a really good article.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

There is an article floating around out there that suggests he is less-than stellar at the moment:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/05/17/austin-corbett-cleveland-browns-otas/

I'm no expert here, but I would think that evaluating OL/DL in non-contact work would be virtually impossible. Maybe you can get a handle on athleticism and recognition...but that's about it. There are a few "OL" guys on here who would be better-qualified to expound than am I.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll weigh in on this.

First of all, the article was written by a guy who listened to Lesmerises report of the OTA session. I've read Lesmerises' stuff before and I think he is completely clueless when it comes to his football knowledge. He says so many dumb things. I think he could very well be misinterpreting what he saw.

Secondly, unlike the other OL people [at least the ones I've had conversations with] on this board, I think that you can tell a ton about an offensive lineman w/out pads. Obviously, you can't judge strength, recognition, and want-to w/out facing defenders in pads, but you sure as hell can do a ton of teaching and hone the technical side of playing OL............and that is every bit, if not more, important than the first three things I mentioned.

I spent my first year in coaching as an OL coach. It was the only spot open and the HC wanted me on the staff. I knew some things about OL because I was a RB, but I never realized just how intricately detailed the unit was.

We used a lot of zone blocking schemes and footwork is huge. Timing is huge. Working as one is huge.

I like to compare it to synchronized swimming or a choreographed dance line in that demands that all of the working parts are working in sync w/one another. Timing, spacing, footwork, angles, technique, etc are huge to the success of an offensive line. Our teams always spent way more time working on these individual and group drills than we did in team drills. Does everyone know what I mean by individual, group, and team activities are? If not, I'll explain.

Thus, one could tell if Corbett was behind if they really knew understood what was important in my second point. However, given that Lesmerises was the guy evaluating the session, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. It may simply be a case of Corbett being a bit behind because he is the only new starter on the OL. We'll have to watch him in preseason games to really know for ourselves, unless Freddie or the new OL coach and tells anything before then.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That makes sense. He's the new guy and new to the position. I could see him struggling with the footwork at the new position even though he was touted as having very good feet. It's still new footwork in any event.

Same with technique. He was a LT who likely practiced mostly at C last year. Different footwork and technique all around. He's a new-to-the-position guy playing as the only not-returning guy from last year...might look a little 'off' at the start.

I would like to read comments about this (later today as I'm off to the office:

"Does everyone know what I mean by individual, group, and team activities are? If not, I'll explain."

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll do a quick explanation. I'll use the OL as my example since we were already talking about them, but all the units go through all 3 phases of the practice.

Individual: This is where you work on your "individual" skills. For an OL, depending upon the number of coaches you have on your staff, you break them into positions, such as guard, center, and tackles. A high school staff might combine guards and centers. You go through multiple individual drills, such as coming out of your stance, footwork, pad level, steps, hitting bags, sleds, etc.

One particular example is what we called "gap" blocking, but a lot of people say "angle" blocking. This particular type of blocking demands that you come out of your stance w/your lead foot pointing at a 45 degree angle. You have to come out low, like running out of a chute. The idea is to get your head across the defenders body [that defender is typically one guy down the line from you. You punch w/the lead hand and bury your face mask into his opposite arm pit and the back arm is like a chicken wing and is used to seal the man from crossing your face. Your goal is drive them in the direction you are moving or at least, seal them from going towards your starting point. That's because that is the cutback lane for your RB.

Group: During group, you bring the entire unit together. You typically start off in half lines. The play side guys --G, T, and TE practice their steps and timing together, and back side T, G, and C practice together because they are area blocking and don't have the same responsibilities as the play side. Obviously, you switch back and forth w/your right and left sides for play side and back side.

You then bring the entire line together and they work together as "one." This is that synchronized movement I was talking about. No one can be out of step. If they are, there is a huge gap for a penetrating defender to blast through and either kill your QB or RB. We've all seen that. LOL

Team: This one is easy. It's where you bring both the offense and defense together and scrimmage in 11-on-11s or 7-on-7.

I have always maintained that teams who spend more time on Individual and Group activities are more successful than those who spend too much time on Team activities. It's the nuances of the game that are important.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
More good stuff here! Thanks!

I would think that OTAs would be heaviest on Individual work? If so, and if he's struggling with footwork and technique there, that'd be a problem in the Group drills.

With the word 'problem' being relative here. Problem? Or new? Who knows.

I'm with you on the source of the comments versus the reality of the progress. I'm more interested in what Campen will have to say or learning his preference in developing/coaching his group.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
just because they've been rotating him i guess

Unless your name is Joe Thomas or something, they pretty much rotate everyone everywhere this early. Much ado about nothing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lets see,....

four positions returning
one new face on the line
rotating different people in and out
No contact drills yet, purely timing, angles, responsibilities, reads etc

And this is a big problem... why?

Find your best five and go... I don't give a rats if they change them all... just get the best five working together

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Browns Notes: Austin Corbett on RG spot, “If I don’t get the starting job, it’s my fault”

Joe Schobert believes upgraded defensive line will help linebackers

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/austin-corbett-understands-he-must-earn-starting-job

Rocky River, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – John Dorsey’s blockbuster trade for Odell Beckham Jr. was an eye opener for Austin Corbett.

And it had little to do with acquiring Beckham.

Landing the star receiver along with Pro Bowl defensive end Olivier Vernon from the New York Giants cost the Browns their reliable starting right guard – veteran Kevin Zeitler – thus opening the door for Corbett to slide into the starting five after spending his rookie season without a position and basically riding the bench.

“There’s a spot open. I’ve got a chance to go win this,” Corbett said Monday at the 20th annual Browns Foundation golf outing at Westwood Country Club. “Freddie and Dorsey have been real clear that it’s not going to be given to me by any means. That’s not who I am. That’s not who I want to be. I don’t want to be given anything in life, and so, it’s a really great opportunity to go earn a starting position in the National Football League.”

Watching Zeitler get traded was a reality check for the Nevada product.

“It’s kind of weird in the sense of you find out it’s a business,” Corbett said. “Kevin’s a good friend and a real good player. [I] Learned a lot from him last year.”

Corbett appeared in 11 games as a rookie with one start – as an extra lineman Oct. 17 against Baltimore. That was his role as a rookie in addition to working on the field goal protect team.

He’s being counted on to do much more in 2019.

“I just have to go and show and prove them right, that this is why they drafted me,” Corbett said. “I’ve got to go make it happen. It’s all on me. There’s no one else. If I don’t get the starting job, it’s my fault.”

Cleaning up – The Browns hoped they’d be able to improve the speed and production from their linebackers this offseason, and they may have found a way to do it without replacing their starters outside of releasing Jamie Collins in February.

By upgrading the defensive line.

The additions of Vernon along with Sheldon Richardson should not only help Larry Ogunjobi and Myles Garrett make impact plays but Schobert and Christian Kirksey too.

“You can see how invaluable those [defensive linemen] are going to be just to wrecking offensive game plans,” Schobert said in an interview with Adam ‘The Bull’ on 92.3 The Fan Monday. “You double OV, you've got Myles. You triple Myles, you've got Sheldon and Larry inside. Try to double one of them, the guys on the edge are going to win.

“It's going to be insane. As long as everybody can stay healthy, I can see a lot of sacks and a lot of disrupted plays for us linebackers to kind of come in and clean up the scraps behind.”

The Browns drafted Schobert 99th overall in the 2016 NFL Draft and he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2017 but his first two seasons saw the Browns win one game out of 32. This past year brought serious hope to him after the team finished 7-8-1 and they are now the favorites to win the AFC North and end a 16-year playoff drought.

“It's real exciting, it's cool to be a part of this team,” Schobert said. “The level of talent we have...since I've been here, we haven't had this much talent. So it's just a matter of getting everybody to gel. 2019 should be a heck of a year.”

Several teams reportedly called the Browns about Schobert this offseason, but he remains in Cleveland and that has him somewhat relieved.

“You can’t really get too caught up in social media stuff if you’re in this business,” Schobert said. “I’m still here. As long as I’m on the Browns, I’m going to be all-in on the Browns. You’re going to stay around as long as you produce.”

For the kids – Monday’s golf outing helped raise funds for the Browns Foundation, which has focused on several education initiatives, including addressing chronic absenteeism, in recent years.

Browns owner Dee Haslam announced Monday that their goal is to expand the program, which has been successful in Cleveland and other northeast Ohio schools, statewide.

The foundation, which has raised over $3 million since 1999 and supports education, youth football and the 'Give10' innitiative, has also helped fund the installation of at least seven multipurpose athletic fields throughout northeast Ohio with plans to install more.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

All good stuff Grateful.

The needle continues to point toward full.

By the time the season starts we will all be a pack snarling dawgs.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I read an article about Corbett's supposed "struggles" where he talked about learning to play right-handed after playing left-handed his whole career. Something else to consider in his position change...not just tackle to guard...but left to right. Not to mention the stereo-type that LTs are more finesse than are other spots on the line and RGs are the brutes of the Oline. Lots of things to change.

A rather useless tidbit (maybe):

It is likely that all 5 of our starting OL will consist of guys who played OT in college...if not LT. Our own project "X" played LT as well but may likely move inside if he makes the NFL.. I didn't look up the college positions of the other backups, but I might now. I find that interesting in general and of particular interest when considering the widely-held belief that today's college OL are not as prepared for pro ball as they once were.

FWIW: I didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread. I think there is some good OL stuff in here already...so here it is.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I am not so sure that he is "struggling"...I think if there is a difference it is because he is still "thinking" as the muscle memory is not perfectly set yet. And so when you compare him to a Pro Bowler who has been set there for a number of years...sure he can look a little slower.

I am not worried.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I would say that the shuffling about is as much about the fact that we have a new OLine Coach who is unfamiliar with this group that wants to know what he has as it might be about trying to find the Best 5 Guys.

This is just the beginning; baby steps.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Steve Wilks, Browns DC, likes where his side of ball is going. Speaking today.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

You gotta remember, an Owner is only as good as those he hires to run the team? If he/she gets it wrong, then keep trying till you get it right.

It appears that they got it right with Dorsey.

When you think about it, which would you rather have..

The Bengals who stayed with Marv for all those years, even after it was clear he could only get them so far? Or the Browns who kept hitting the reset button in hopes the next one would be the right one?

There is an argument for both. I believe in the old tried and true method..... Hire Slow, fire fast. And yeah, at times I've wanted to hang with what we had....but each time, I've ended up wrong.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Sorry guys, I just found the whole interview.

#gmstrong
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Mike Priefer: We're working on perfecting our technique and fundamentals |

Steve Wilks: The identity of our defense will be how well our corners tackle

#gmSTRONG
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Joel Bitonio: Expectations are a good thing

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OTAs interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard