Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
At this point in his career, I don't think "starting" is his motivation. He knows teams rotate the big guys and he is at the age he now knows why and probably welcomes playing 1/2 to 3/4 a game. That extends a career.

Starting or not, he will get plenty of reps. When you are on the field, you are the starter.

Baseball and soccer are the only team sports I can think of that once you leave the game, you cannot return. I don't watch volleyball and sports like that, so maybe they have similar rules.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'd also be concern about his ability to stay healthy; I'm not sure what his injury history has been like lately

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A lot of good insights being shared here. I'm not one for intentionally derailing a thread but Peen, you should check out women's beach volleyball. There is a lot going on there!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
is Thomas seen as an inside dt or an edge guy?

I think that he is seen as a guy who can do both, but his size would probably indicate DE.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that McCoy is a 3-Tech DT.

McCoy is, but Chad Thomas is a versatile inside.out guy.

I totally misread Keith's question - sorry.

Legend
Legend

The more I look into the whole picture of McCoy in TB.

It looks doubtful. Arians imo. should not have made the comments he has in regards to McCoy. "He is not as disruptive as he was four years ago." "He is at that point where salary is high and production is going down."

This is a GM decision.

McCoy has been a premier player in this league. A locker room leader as well. Not a playoff game in his time there.

He will be 32 in Feb.

He is a prideful player. These types of situations usually end poorly with the home team. He most likely has another 3 years left in the game. In the right situation they could be productive years.

He has no guaranteed money left on his contract. He will not make $13 with the Bucs. So he has to accept a lot less or be left swinging in the wind.

He will most likely be traded or cut.

Time becomes important. June 5th is mandatory camp. Obviously they would like to get a return rather than cut him. I don't see him taking $7 to play there.

So the Browns can wait and see what happens or step up and make some kind of offer.

This is where Dorsey has to weigh risk/reward and patience.

Besides Duke what would Dorsey be willing to deal?

That depends on what value he believes McCoy will bring. Do we need him? No. How much would he improve the team at what cost?

I hope we get him.

This is a interesting case to follow.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U gotta wonder who else is involved and what there willing to part with ...

He’d really solidify things for us ... he won’t even be close to the center of the O’s attention either ... he’d be a real nice get for us ...

*fingers crossed*

Legend
Legend
Quote:
If what I'm gathering on the interwebs is correct, there are only two teams that COULD reasonably absorb his existing contract right now - us and the Raiders.

Indy has the most cap space in the NFL. Then the Niners, the Texans, the Seahawks, then us, then the Jets, Raiders, Titans, Bills, and Dolphins. Most of these could easily absorb McCoy's contract. The questions is; Would they want to? It's a $13 million deal, but it is less next year, and none of it is guaranteed from here out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

I doubt he will get $13 from anyone.

It will all depend upon how a deal is structured.

I am guessing but I believe something will happen before June. It would not be good to have him holdout from mandatory.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Seems like this is one of those "where there is smoke there is fire things."

Everything coming out of TB sounds like he is gone.

Starting to imagine him on our roster.

Damn, the front four would be pretty intimidating.

Legend
Legend

I would expect that if this happens it would go down just before June 4th.

Legend
Legend
Color me happy. If it is to happen, sooner is better. Think OTA dates might speed this along.

What a front! nanner

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt early is better, but the guy is a pro. We could sign the guy on the Saturday before the first game and be able to play him 40% of the time. The other interior guy could give him a quick heads up to drive right because he is stunting left or he is driving left, you need to stunt right.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I agree. He is a plug and play guy.

This is about money period. TB does not have cap space.

They don't have the means to pay his contract. He has to take a pay cut.

A this point there is no real incentive for him to play for TB. Unless they say come play and we will pay you your $13 million.

So as June 4th approaches TB has a decision to make.Trade or cut. Who will offer what?

Or will teams wait for him to be cut? If that is the case we get in line and he goes where he chooses.

If we are more aggressive we offer them a trade.

Legend
Legend
I agree with it; all you said is a quick huddle fix. I think some of it, meshing with new locker room would help us as well. I am excited to see him on the field for us. I see no way TB can keep him. Big deal somehow.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
As I also said, early is better for the reasons you mention.

If it happens, it is going to be before the Saturday before the Titans game. I just used that to illustrate how he would still be able to step in and be a force from day one.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Not a fan of trading much for him if anything. He's 31 and his current contract includes 2.5 million roster bonuses for each of 2020 and 2021, which almost certainly makes him a one year rental for whatever team he ends up on with that level of salary.

Heck, Chris long was only making like 3 million a year his last few years in the league. Just sayin'

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chris Long is also 3 years older and has been a backup for the last 4 years, so of course he's going to make less.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
All Pro
All Pro
Just using him as a random example since he just retired.

A more direct comparison would likely be Ndamukong Suh if you prefer. Once players get to a certain age they either play year-to-year deals or get paid less. That's why I wouldn't trade much for him.

Sorry for any confusion

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
V
Legend
Legend
V
Serious question because I don't follow this part of the NFL. We can't restructure or rework McCoy's contract if we sign him?

Legend
Legend
If we trade for him we could restructure his deal.

If he becomes a free agent and we sign him, it would be to whatever contract both sides to belong to.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Serious question because I don't follow this part of the NFL. We can't restructure or rework McCoy's contract if we sign him?

I believe that ANY contract in ANY circumstance can be re-negotiated if both sides agree to do so. In this instance, I think there is 0% chance that we simply agree to a trade and leave the contract as-is.

Ideally, TB cuts him before TC and we sign him. That would require a new contract. (Bear with me here, lots of Mr Obvious so far.)

IMO...The complication in getting McCoy here is probably less about the compensation we would give up to "secure" him (over/versus free agency) and more the need to re-negotiate his current deal prior to finalizing any trade. HOWEVER, TB surely won't entertain our negotiating with McCoy UNTIL AFTER we agree in-principle to some sort of a deal...and no party is willing to "give-in" first to get to the table. It's a poker game that gets played a lot in these situations.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to you and YTown. I thought so, but wasn't sure.

Legend
Legend
We could afford McCoy this year, under the cap. There are no contractual cap implications going forward with McCoy, IIRC. In other words, if we trade a 6th for him, and he plays out this year under his current deal, then we could just cut him next year, if we wanted, or needed, to.

Yep. His deal lost all guarantees after last season. He has roster bonuses, but those can be avoided by cutting him before they become due.

So, in short terms, we could trade for him as if he had a 1 year, $13 million deal, if we wanted to.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
We could afford McCoy this year, under the cap. There are no contractual cap implications going forward with McCoy, IIRC. In other words, if we trade a 6th for him, and he plays out this year under his current deal, then we could just cut him next year, if we wanted, or needed, to.

Yep. His deal lost all guarantees after last season. He has roster bonuses, but those can be avoided by cutting him before they become due.

So, in short terms, we could trade for him as if he had a 1 year, $13 million deal, if we wanted to.

I agree. I've read around the interwebs though that we would like to save 'some' cap $$$ this year that could be carried-forward to help in upcoming years. Otherwise, McCoy might already be here.

Legend
Legend

Only if he agrees to it.

Also, any new deal will create dead money in future years, so we would no longer be able to cut him with zero impact. Everything has a trade-off.

You'd have to explore just how much you could save per year with a renegotiated contract that he would agree to see if it is even worth doing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Only if he agrees to it.

Also, any new deal will create dead money in future years, so we would no longer be able to cut him with zero impact. Everything has a trade-off.

You'd have to explore just how much you could save per year with a renegotiated contract that he would agree to see if it is even worth doing.

I don't think there is any dead money remaining on his contract...for us or TB.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Only if he agrees to it.

I don't think there is any dead money remaining on his contract...for us or TB.

There isn't. But when restructuring, I think a team will normally transition money from base salary into immediate bonus dollars paid out, which can be ammoritized over a set amount of years (assuming a restructured deal adds years, which we don't know).

I don't evision a restructured deal (with the same amount of money $13M) for one year because the money would be recieved regardless. I think it's a matter of cutting and signing a smaller one or taking a pay cut as part of a trade (which I guess is also considered a restructuring, but mainly adding context to Purp's scenario).

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
ideally: get him for a 7th round pick, absorb his contract this year, have him stud out, then have no obligation anymore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
If we renegotiate his deal, the new deal will have dead money in later years. This is because the new deal will have a signing bonus. One of the most common ways a deal gets restructured is that a large portion of the remaining salary gets converted to a signing bonus.

The only sensible way the deal could get reworked would be to totally jack up his hit this year so that it can be progressively lower in later years. This would likely involve adding a 4th year to the deal.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Come on down!

Legend
Legend
We'll see what happens now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Come on down!

Now we have to convince him this is where he belongs. Who else has cap space for an additional significant contract that might be interested in McCoy?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The Saints

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would guess he’s not going to get a significant contract. Probably a one year deal worth around $8 million.

All Pro
All Pro
Step one...complete.

Now to wait and see. He might not have quite as much in the tank as Suh had last season, but a 10 million dollar rental is still reasonable.

Do you have any idea how many movies I could rent for 10 million dollars...

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Depends on if you're doing HD, SD and 24 or 48 hour rentals. But probably 2.5 million

All Pro
All Pro
Well played. Well played.

On a semi-serious note, the average American can expect to earn less than 2 million dollars in their 45-year earnings career with a rather large chunk of that going toward interest on debts (primarily a mortgage debt). That is all.

smile

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Nobody pays $75 to watch us do our jobs. That is all.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Might wanna watch the Colts. They seemingly have a need at DT, they have a ton of cap space, and Ballard--who worked w/Dorsey--is aggressive, just like his former boss.

And never count the Rams out.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interested in Gerald McCoy?

Link Copied to Clipboard