Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
another follow up stat would be nice to know how those seasons turned out for those 5 teams

Weren't the Giants that killed NE perfect season in the Super Bowl one of those teams? If they weren't they should have been, that line was scary good.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: KyDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
another follow up stat would be nice to know how those seasons turned out for those 5 teams

Weren't the Giants that killed NE perfect season in the Super Bowl one of those teams? If they weren't they should have been, that line was scary good.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Would be interesting trivia to name the other 4 teams.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Joe Thomas might be a world class podcaster and a new NFL commentator, but "Joe Thomas confidently said..." can only bring me dread after his tenure here. Obviously this doesn't have anything to do with him, but previous regimes and I don't just mean tweedle dee and tweedle dumb 4.0

Legend
Legend
I'm guessing ...

1971 Minnesota Vikings: Carl Eller, Gary Larsen, Jim Marshall, Alan Page
1985 Chicago Bears: Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Steve McMichael, William Perry
1976 Pittsburgh Steelers: "Mean" Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, Dwight White
1991 Philadelphia Eagles: Jerome Brown, Mike Pitts, Clyde Simmons, Reggie White

D
Legend
Legend
D
Good guess ...

The rams had a line back in the day ... the fearsome foresome ...

Deacon Jones .... Merlin Olsen ... Rosey Greer .... ?

Thats one of the two that popped into my head ... the purple people eaters witch is one u covered was the other ....

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Excellent guess.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Good guess ...

The rams had a line back in the day ... the fearsome foresome ...

Deacon Jones .... Merlin Olsen ... Rosey Greer .... ?

Thats one of the two that popped into my head ... the purple people eaters witch is one u covered was the other ....

Lamar Lundy

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I'm guessing ...

1971 Minnesota Vikings: Carl Eller, Gary Larsen, Jim Marshall, Alan Page
1985 Chicago Bears: Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Steve McMichael, William Perry
1976 Pittsburgh Steelers: "Mean" Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, Dwight White
1991 Philadelphia Eagles: Jerome Brown, Mike Pitts, Clyde Simmons, Reggie White

L
Legend
Legend
L
so JT was absolutely and completely wrong...none of those teams even went to the superbowl let alone win except the 74 team

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
surprised we haven't heard anything. Not sure if that's good or bad

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Gotta love that patented Joe Thomas confidence.

Legend
Legend
eesh, I was way off! laugh

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave

This was expected.

Legend
Legend

From the report in the PD it sounds encouraging.

But nothing will happen till next week.

So maybe Wednesday or Thursday we will know.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish

From the report in the PD it sounds encouraging.

But nothing will happen till next week.

So maybe Wednesday or Thursday we will know.

It is wise to make more than one visit.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Gerald McCoy’s visit with the Browns went great and he could sign here after visiting Ravens Tuesday, source says

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Gerald McCoy’s visit with the Browns went great and they tried to sign him before he left town today, but he’ll honor a commitment to visit the Ravens on Tuesday, a league source said.

Talks between the Browns and McCoy’s agent, Ben Dogra, continue, and McCoy could end up signing with the Browns next week depending on how his trip to Baltimore goes.

McCoy will return to Florida to spend Memorial Day weekend with his family before heading to Baltimore on Tuesday. He could take one more visit after that, but the Browns and Ravens are currently the frontrunners.

Read more at:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05...s-continue.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just because we have the cap room, does not necesarily mean we should spend it. I’d only sign him on the cheap, in a limited role.

We will have players to sign in coming years. Correct me if I’m wrong, but one of the reasons JD is no longer in KC, is is due to cap management?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
We will have players to sign in coming years. Correct me if I’m wrong, but one of the reasons JD is no longer in KC, is is due to cap management?

If he signs a short term deal (two years or less) then his salary will have little to do with being able to sign guys in the future.

Dorsey left Kansas City in a major cap bind, yes.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Allbright is correct. It is his best course.

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yeah, there was no way in hell he was signing today. Unless we gave him such a crazy offer he wouldn't even look at other teams. And if we were to give him a crazy offer, we would've just traded for him. I do think that the longer his free agency goes on, the worse our chances get. If he's not signed in 1.5-2 weeks, I just don't see him signing with us.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Like I said, being the last meeting is the best meeting.

That said, we can still be the last meeting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
On to Baltimore for him ... we'll see how he likes it there (and their offer)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I do worry about John's spending habits. All of this is great but I would rather be in position a few years down the road to keep Baker and Myles.

I am not saying we won't be able to do that, I am just hoping someone is keeping a eye on the contract logistics.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
On to Baltimore for him ... we'll see how he likes it there (and their offer)

Agents have a way of sharing what offer is on the table. It's always easy to offer more money, or more benefits, or whatever.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

If we 100% want to sign him, the best meeting to be would be last. But I like being first, especially with Dorsey's straight shooting style. I think this allows us to set the market, remain firm in our offer, and not rely too much on McCoy, who at least I view as a luxury signing. I think that Larry O provides us more than enough as a contingency plan at the spot and will serve more than capable.

C
Legend
Legend
C
As long as most of the guaranteed money is off the books after 2020 we should be fine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do think there could be players released due to cap pressure that would upgrade our D-line depth. McCoy is not absolutely the only option but I do think he's the best option

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Does anyone know, what happens when the CBA runs out after the 2020 season? Does everyone's rollover cap go away?

Maybe that is playing into Dorsey's plan? Might as well use up all the rollover cap we have this year and next before we lose it...I don't know, just something that I was thinking about.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 05/24/19 08:53 PM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

If we 100% want to sign him, the best meeting to be would be last. But I like being first, especially with Dorsey's straight shooting style. I think this allows us to set the market, remain firm in our offer, and not rely too much on McCoy, who at least I view as a luxury signing. I think that Larry O provides us more than enough as a contingency plan at the spot and will serve more than capable.

No

The most important meeting is the first, then you make it the only meeting, thereby making it the last. If you do not close the deal during the first meeting, the chances of making making the deal go wayyyyyy down. Get the deal while you got them in house, once they are out the door, you are out of luck.

This is years of sales experience talking. If they go someplace else, after seeing what you have to offer, then you have a 10% chance of winning the sale. We let him out the door.. He's more than likely a Raven now.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
This is the kind of post I truly enjoy reading.
Thanks.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope we sign him but I hope even more he doesn't go to the Ravens. That D is tough enough as is. He'd be good in a rotation. Keep everyone as fresh as possible. But if he goes elsewhere we will still have a very good line. If not McCoy then hopefully a really good veteran shakes loose in camp. There were many young D linemen taken in the draft, so hopefully, that will help us down the road... We shall see. I always liked the teams that had devastating D lines. The Fearsome Foursome, the Purple People Eaters, Doomsday... etc. Not that the NFL allows that kind of intimidation anymore, but it would be nice to see us get some great line play. At least to the extent that it's permitted in this watered-down NFL.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
I do worry about John's spending habits. All of this is great but I would rather be in position a few years down the road to keep Baker and Myles.

I am not saying we won't be able to do that, I am just hoping someone is keeping a eye on the contract logistics.

What's his history with cap space on previous teams?

Anybody know?

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I would 100% agree with you if we were playing baseball instead of football. Instead we have to keep in mind the cap which will affect our ability to keep our other players long term. If he was wanted that badly, then we'd have simply traded for him instead of negotiating over 5 mil.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Dorsey’s cap record with the Chiefs is not great but that’s not why he was fired. It was more of a personality conflict with Andy Reid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If you do not close the deal during the first meeting, the chances of making making the deal go wayyyyyy down.

Agreed. I believe our chances of signing him are remote. I hope I'm wrong...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dang ... oh well ... guess the stars just weren’t aligned right and if they don’t align on the first date u usually don’t get a 2nd ...

I’ve got to question Mr. McCoy’s intelligence or his opinion of just how good he is ...

No one with a brain can’t see how much more talented we are than them and have a way way way better shot at winning then they do ... so if he really cares about winning why there? ... i could see NE or KC or SD or Indi or the Jags ...

I believe he has a brain so therefore he must think he’s good enough to close the talent gap between the teams all by his bad self ... rofl ... ain’t no one that good .... thumbsup

Or taking Purp’s theory to the next level he’s using the weekend to see if we will meet the contract he wants over the 3 day weekend to keep him from going to see the rats ...

IF he makes to B-more we need to hope he’s the rare exception to this rule ...

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interested in Gerald McCoy?

Link Copied to Clipboard