Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That depends upon whether you are reacting to what they show or trying to force them to react to what you've got.

Quote:
Match ups/fatigue/injury/game situations all factor in here.

And all of those depend upon what you have at your disposal.

If you have two really solid CB's with two Safeties that can cover and a crew of LBers that can cover.... do you REALLY need to go Nickel if they trot out a 3rd WR or do you feel like you have the horses to match up with them, bring the pressure, and still shut the down?

Of course, the answer is in who THEIR personnel are and how much respect you have to pay them, but the point still holds that you don't sub for the sake of subbing... you sub only if something FORCES you to do so, but then you need to try to sub in a manner that allows you a counter-punch to what they are forcing on you.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I refuse to accept this! Corbett is a wasted pick and nobody can convince everyone otherwise!

errrr.... I mean, wait... like, OTA's aren't where the assignments get set in stone???

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
That depends upon whether you are reacting to what they show or trying to force them to react to what you've got.

Quote:
Match ups/fatigue/injury/game situations all factor in here.

And all of those depend upon what you have at your disposal.

If you have two really solid CB's with two Safeties that can cover and a crew of LBers that can cover.... do you REALLY need to go Nickel if they trot out a 3rd WR or do you feel like you have the horses to match up with them, bring the pressure, and still shut the down?

It can be done. Whether or not it should be done is another question and not always easy to answer.

Say for instance that a team often uses a quick/shifty guy as a slot/3rd receiver. Say we're in 4-3 but want to play man, who covers that guy? He's going to easily beat a linebacker. A safety can take him but that can be an awkward position to defend from. This simplifies the coverages which a smart QB can diagnose and find the mismatch.
Found this: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-defensive-personnel-analysis

Quote:
2017 Defensive Personnel Analysis
by Bryan Knowles

Earlier this week, we looked at what personnel groupings were most popular on offense. Now it's time to turn around and look at things from a defensive standpoint. In a league where three wideouts has become not just the most popular formation but the default formation, how have defenses reacted?

Just as three-wide formations have become the offensive default, nickel defenses are now the NFL's primary defensive formation. Nickel first became more prevalent than base defenses in 2012, and became a majority of all plays in 2015. There's a reason the AP All-Pro team added an extra "defensive back" position in 2016; slot corners are now more likely to see the field than your seventh guy in your front seven.

Base defenses remain more effective on the whole, though that is misleading. Nickel packages are by a significant margin better at handling 11 personnel (0.8% DVOA for nickel, 8.4% DVOA for base sets), so it makes sense that that would become the most played defense. Base personnel are still better at handling things like two-tight end sets, resulting in better overall DVOA. Nickel is the best defense for defending the most popular offense, so it has become the most popular scheme

Of course, this doesn't take into account differences in quality of personnel, but overall, nickel is far more effective than base at defending 3 wide sets.

Quote:
Of course, the answer is in who THEIR personnel are and how much respect you have to pay them, but the point still holds that you don't sub for the sake of subbing... you sub only if something FORCES you to do so, but then you need to try to sub in a manner that allows you a counter-punch to what they are forcing on you.

I see your point here, to an extent. I don't think I'd say FORCES as that's a bit... forceful. Defense in the NFL is inherently reactionary. Offenses bring in different personnel groupings and the defense reacts to that based on what those players' strengths are, the game situation, and sure.. even the strengths of the defense. Defense is also generally more tiring than offense which is why defenses sub more throughout the game (especially on the lines) and still end up more tired in the 4th.

If you have to rotate guys in throughout the game anyway, why not match up with the offense? Usually that means putting a corner on a receiver, though not always. Sometimes the distinction between a wide receiver and tight end is not so clear, or the distinctions between a corner/safety or safety/linebacker. We should think more in terms of of the skills and attributes of the players and less so their labeled positions.

Legend
Legend
How about reports:

Cleveland Browns OTAs offense report: Receivers get opportunity in absence of big names - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05...-big-names.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Spring football can be all about opportunity for some down the depth chart. Sometimes it’s an opportunity to try a new position. Sometimes it’s an opportunity to play in place of a player (or players) who aren’t there or who can’t get on the field.

That’s where a number of Browns receivers down the depth chart found themselves on Thursday, the Browns’ final practice of organized team activities and the third practice of OTAs open to the media.

Odell Beckham Jr. wasn’t there. Neither was Antonio Callaway. Jarvis Landry was on the sideline.

So that means there are reps to be had with the first team which means reps with the starting quarterback, Baker Mayfield. Ask Rashard Higgins how valuable those spring reps with Mayfield were a year ago.

“It’s huge because you get the reps with Baker,” wide receivers coach Adam Henry said, “so it’s a huge thing.”

It also creates opportunities for players a few notches down, players playing with the second team who otherwise might not get that opportunity. Depth charts in the spring are fluid, but opportunity always matters.

Here are 8 observations on the offensive side of the ball from Thursday’s practice:

1. The offensive highlight of the day came from one of those receivers, a long touchdown throw from Mayfield to Ishmael Hyman during two-minute. It was a near-perfect throw by Mayfield and the James Madison product caught the ball on his fingertips and ran into the endzone.

Jaelen Strong was also receiving work with the first team.

2. Another receiver worth mentioning: Dorian Baker. He proved a reliable target throughout practice on Thursday.

3. Drew Stanton is doing the bulk of the work with the second team. Terrance Mitchell got him on an interception, but he appears locked in as the primary backup.

4. Let’s give some love to David Blough here because you’ll see plenty of him when the preseason games begin. Blough threw a nice ball to wide receiver D.J. Montgomery in the red zone. Blough and Garrett Gilbert will battle for the third quarterback spot.

5. Seth DeValve, working mostly with the second unit, made some catches. The real test for DeValve will come when the pads go on at the end of July.

6. It was Kyle Kalis at right guard with the first team and Austin Corbett at center with the second team again on Thursday. That was the setup a week ago, too, the last time practice was open to the media. Head coach Freddie Kitchens downplayed it, saying the two have rotated and the media has just happened to be present on the days when Kalis was working at first-team right guard.

7. If you’re scoring at home, Kendall Lamm worked with the second team at left tackle.

8. Not in attendance today alongside Beckham and Callaway: David Njoku and Duke Johnson.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

So you mean he's not gonna at least dress him up for practice? hmmm...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns OTA Scribbles: Missing Odell Bekham Jr. & Duke Johnson, does it matter? – Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05...erry-pluto.html

BEREA, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook from the Browns’ organized team activities (OTAs), the last voluntary workout:

1. Freddie Kitchens drew some headlines by admitting Odell Beckham Jr. has missed “a lot” by skipping the voluntary practices. The Browns coach gave some very terse replies to questions about his new receiver.

2. My guess is none of this will matter much in the summer once veteran’s camp opens. But watching the workouts open to the media, Baker Mayfield has been throwing to a lot of receivers who probably won’t make the team. Jarvis Landry, meanwhile, has missed several workouts with an unspecified injury. Antonio Callaway has been hit-and-miss in terms of showing up.

3. In Thursday’s OTA, Mayfield’s main target was Rashard Higgins. You can see the close relationship between the two men when they interact on the field. Damion Ratley and Derrick Willies had some good moments in earlier workouts. Both were present Thursday, but not playing because of unspecified injuries.

4. Mayfield threw a long pass to Ishmael Hyman for a TD. I know...who? Hyman played at James Madison. He played in the defunct Alliance of American Football League. Standing out more than Hyman was Cleveland Heights product Dorian Baker, an undrafted receiver out of Kentucky.

5. The impressive part is how Mayfield is connecting with these receivers, especially in a two-minute, no-huddle offense. Baker has good hands and is making the most of this opportunity. But the Browns obviously would like to see Mayfield throwing to some receivers now who will be on the field when it counts in the fall.

6. In the end, Beckham and Landry are experienced veterans. Mayfield is a gifted QB. They can figure it out. But they are installing a new offense...and Beckham is new to the Browns.

7. I talked with Browns running backs coach Stump Mitchell, who mentioned he tried to recruit Duke Johnson. That was when Mitchell was a head coach at Southern University. He praised Johnson not only as a pass catching back, but also as a runner: “He’s elusive. He can make people miss. He can be physical. He’s a heckuva receiver...but he has to fit in the scheme...it’s a new regime here.”

8. Mitchell said he would like have liked Johnson in camp now: “When you don’t come, you give someone else an opportunity to play...now that guy can take advantage of that opportunity. Dontrell Hilliard has done that...I like everything about him.”

9. Mitchell said Hilliard has even been filling in at receiver “because he can run routes and catch the ball.” Mitchell added that Kitchens told him: “I really like this kid (Hilliard). I know he has some talent. It’s my job to make him reach that level."

10. Mitchell mentioned that Hilliard is doing things in the offense the coaching staff had designed for Johnson, “and doing a dang-good job, too.”

11. The Browns have been gushing about Hilliard dating back to last season. They also believe he’s an asset on special teams. I don’t think this is just praising Hilliard to make Johnson uncomfortable. They like Hilliard, and that makes Johnson expendable.

12. Mitchell said the Browns are working on throwing more passes to Chubb, and you can see that in practice. You also can see Chubb making excellent catches. Mitchell told me: “He could be a 1,000-yard rusher and a 1,000-yard receiver, but we have so much talent (they don’t need him to do that much). But he is that good.”

13. The Browns are downplaying how Kyle Kalis has been playing with the starters at right guard – at least when the media has been allowed to watch practice in the last two weeks. Austin Corbett was projected to start at that spot, replacing the traded Kevin Zeitler.

14. This certainly isn’t to dismiss Corbett’s chances, but it’s obvious the coaches like Kalis. The St. Edward product, the son of former NFL lineman Todd Kalis, was an undrafted free agent out of Michigan in 2017. He spent a little time with Washington and Indianapolis before signing with the Browns during last season. He is making an impact.

15. Offensive line coach James Campen explained that Corbett has been with the starters at right guard in the several workouts not seen by the media. Campen also likes Corbett at center. The Browns are looking for a backup to starting center JC Tretter, who played the last half of the season with a high ankle sprain in 2018.

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
This stuff about Corbett continues to not look so good. Glad to see Hillard capitlalizing on his opportunity with Johnson being a no-show.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Its OTA's...the kid will be a ST stud hopefully.
If he can put in some quality reps when we get some injuries on D that is fine, I don't expect much else from him.

Kalis...good to here looks like he is our RG unless somebody can unseat him. I can care less where he came from - btw Sean O'Hare where was he drafted and he made the Pro Bowl I believe.

As I said if I guy works hard and is strong and can use his quickness, work on technique. Improve on his foot work, he can come from No where and became good and most important a PIECE of the PUZZLE as OL is a UNIT.

Corbett, I don't think he is even in the running. Happy for Kalis and hope he has a chip on his shoulder. I also like the fact he is a local kid!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
From yesterday's OTA Scribbles:

#3 (Stanton as our primary back-up) makes me feel a bit uneasy. I know one of the other two could step up, or I guess we could pick up a veteran in July, but thinking we're one hit away from a Stanton led offense is a bit concerning. I like the guy, and by all accounts he's a great teammate, but I don't know......

From today's OTA Scribbles:

#9-#11 make me happy (especially the route running part). No matter what happens with Duke, it's good to know that Hilliard is taking good advantage of the opportunities this staff are giving him thus far.

Legend
Legend
Stump really made it a point to put in a plug for Hilliard. And to add the comment that Duke not being here is giving other folks a shot to take your spot.. I wasn't expecting to hear that. Stump calls a spade a spade

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
What the Cleveland Browns are getting -- and hope to get -- in guard Kyle Kalis: Film Room

By Jake Burns, Special to cleveland.com | Posted May 31, 2019 at 02:34 PM

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...-film-room.html

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks gratefulD

What I got from this.
1. This was 2 years ago as a rookie I think he had 3 starts?

2. When he kept a good knee bend and had his feet moving from the snap...he was pretty good. When he didn't move a step and reacted to the Defenders moves....he got beat badly...btw Luck is freaking good as each bad beat seemed to be completed anyways!

3. Also I would like to bring up the FACT that as a rookie and in his rare starts he was THINKING after the snap which played a lot into his lack of movement from the lower half of the body.

4. the kid is freaking Strong and I could care less about the 30 reps, he was kick butt strong on the OL.

5. I can see now in his 3rd season and his football intelligence increasing also being with the team for the entire year which means he was with Kitchens from day one so has familiarity with his offense.

I did think he tipped his hand on a lot of his pulls. I think his intelligence is going to play a big hand in his pass blocking results. What we saw 2 years ago is probably not what we will get now. I think Kitchens is being impressed with his intelligence in the schemes we are putting out there. HE GETS IT. I feeling better and better with what we got to replace Zeitler.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

#3 (Stanton as our primary back-up) makes me feel a bit uneasy. I know one of the other two could step up, or I guess we could pick up a veteran in July, but thinking we're one hit away from a Stanton led offense is a bit concerning. I like the guy, and by all accounts he's a great teammate, but I don't know......

#9-#11 make me happy (especially the route running part). No matter what happens with Duke, it's good to know that Hilliard is taking good advantage of the opportunities this staff are giving him thus far.

When you have a good starter at QB, any back-up makes me nervous. That said, I like Stantons experience. He has started and won games. He knows he is in to manage the game. He has done that in the past. Plus, him or anyone else we might put in, they know how to hand off so we will rely a bit more on the backs and grunts on the line.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

When you have a good starter at QB, any back-up makes me nervous. That said, I like Stantons experience. He has started and won games. He knows he is in to manage the game. He has done that in the past. Plus, him or anyone else we might put in, they know how to hand off so we will rely a bit more on the backs and grunts on the line.

I agree.

As far as the Guard who has played a bit as a starter at times ..... big deal. It's OTAs, where there is no contact ... so I am not all that excited. The kid they have tried atg RG has been a miserable pass blocker, with an incredible error rate forced into playing. I fully expect Corbett to start at RG when the season starts.

It will be more interesting to see how things wash out at mini-camp.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
When you have a good starter at QB, any back-up makes me nervous.

It's just nice to see the tables have turned. Gone are the days of our starter being so crappy that the backup is the one glimmer of hope for competitive football!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I have no clue what to think of the thing with Corbett ... no clue if its a red flag or why its happening ... but here’s the thing ...

If Kalis does beat him out is it because Corbett isn’t living up to a 2nd round pick yet and is disappointing or is it just that Kalis has improved in his 2 or 3 years in the league and is now actually a dang good RG ...

We have NO CLUE at this point exactly what it means if Kalis does win the job or if its even something that has a chance to happen ... whats going on now could simply be that if Tretter goes down we feel that moving Corbett over and plugging Kalis in is our best option so we want them to get some reps with that alignment ...

I really have no clue what this means or what to think other than its not time to panic just yet ... ...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree.

First, there is something to it whether people want to believe it or not. All you have to do is judge Corbett by his own words. His quote is "if I don't win the job, I'll have no one to blame but myself"...something to that effect. I take that to mean the coaches have spoken to him and want to see more. Until they see it he's not starting.

However, if Kalis is the guy that means he's the better player so who cares. Play the best players. Baker and Freddie are going to make these guys look better than they are anyways.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I agree.

MIraClEs WiLL nEveR SeACe .... rofl ...

Most won’t get it but I’d be stunned if Rish don’t at least chuckle when he reads it ... *LOL* ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Corbett and Kalis were both here last year...and therefore here when Zeitler was traded. Maybe JD & Co - along with Campen at OL Coach - saw that both guys were viable at RG/C and they are both being given a chance to compete?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Also...Kalis was hand-picked by LeCharles Bentley to go to LCB's academy for OL. LCB picks the attendees...not the other way around. He must have seen something he liked.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's silly that anyone thinks you "win a starting position" based on work outs that have zero contact. Reading anything into it is a part of the silly season though I suppose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

For people to say Corbett is a second round bust is absurd IMO.

There was no way he was going to start at the guard position last year over Zeitler or Bitonio.

He was drafted to develop at guard and center. And Dorsey had no intention of paying Zeitler huge money over a long period of time.

This time of year with no pads is used to see what versatility players offer. They want to know if they lose a guy to injury who can step in.

Example, what happens if Tretter goes down? Who is best suited to replace him? So, they work Corbett there. See how he does. If he only played RG who then would step in to that position? They want to look at Kalis see what he can do.

It is nothing but planning for worst case scenario.

When the pads go on the competition for starting RG will begin.

And if Kalis where to win the job that does not mean Corbett is a bust if he is a strong backup at two positions.

People are reading way more into this right now than what is really there.

Legend
Legend
j/c

i agree about Corbett being underwhelming news right now. We'll see when the pads come on, but I was hoping he'd be running with the 1's

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Calling Corbett a bust right now is ridiculous but let's not try and convince ourselves that being a "strong backup" in the end won't be a bust. Being the first pick in the second round comes with expectations and it doesn't end with backup guard satisfaction. Not to mention we traded away one of the best guards in the entire NFL (when interior pass rushing is becoming increasingly important to defend) to give him his opportunity.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Remember last year, our starting left tackle in OTAs was Shon Coleman, and he was traded before the season even started.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
E
Legend
Legend
E
YTown...Corbett is not a seasoned veteran and has not taken many reps at RG. What behooves you to think that he is just passing his time until he gets in there and wins the starting position of RG.

OL you want to start the new guy especially one who has never been deemed a starter. FROM DAY ONE. If our Coaching staff thought he is going to be our starter. Guess what he would be starting there from the get go.

Granted I've always suggested that you got to make your OL decisions after they start hitting. But in the case of our current situation. All LT, LG, C and RT are returning. Pass Pro along with our running plays need familiarity with each other.

The fact that so far Kalis is taking ALL the #1 reps tells me the opposite of what you suggest.

I know you saw some low lights of what I saw where he did not move his feet in pass situations and got beat. I cannot express how much that is of a Rookie getting starting reps and is thinking of his duties. Nothing slows down the feet more than a OLman thinking and not reacting.

Obviously to me in his 3rd season he is more comfortable in his duties and his football knowledge has accelerated where he is taking all the #1 reps at RG. You saw 3 plays and have made a negative assumption on what we are going to see all the time.

I think our Pocket is going to be moving and we will also be seeing an importance of a strong Interior to keep the wall consistently intact. What we must also have is a RG who KNOWS his responsibilities in each situation at hand picking up switches/blitzes and is 2 steps ahead of the defense.

There is more cerebral abilities needed in this process and although I am not there I IMAGINE that is what our coaches have seen in Kalis. I like this kid and the prospects he presents.

jmho if Corbett was in our plans - HE would be taking all the reps not Kalis.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab
The fact that so far Kalis is taking ALL the #1 reps...

I agree with a lot of what you posted....but...according to FK...the above is not what is happening at all. FK has said that the above has been the case on the day-of-the-week open to the media...not all other days. Coincidence? Who knows? Just FYI-ing.

Legend
Legend
You do realize that OTAs, for the OL, are next to nothing, right? There is no contact whatsoever. None. Zero. Zilch.

Remember Wiley's "Set Hut" from last year? That's about it. It's basic position drills, with no hitting, no contact.

It's like deciding who wins the PGA tour by watching players at an indoor driving range, or who wins a starting NBA job by watching free throw work only. It's like awarding a baseball job based solely on how a kid hits a coach in batting practice.

Have you watched the practice videos? There is more OL/DL contact in a flag football game.

Look, I am not saying that Corbett is a sure thing, because I don't know that. I also don't know that he is somehow a bust, based on OTA work. I do know that this Kalis kid had been a solid run blocker, and a lousy, and I mean lousy, pass blocker. One of his biggest concerns is whether or not he can handle the mental side of the game. The OTA is a perfect situation to see if he has improved in that regard, at all, or not. We'll see.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OTAs interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard