Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I bet we 2nd round him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
The most optimistic side of me sees Hunt as one of the big keys to our turn around next year. Stafanski should be up late night figuring out how to terrorize defenses using both Hunt and Chubb together. Hopefully we have not seen Hunt at his best yet.

Personal breakthrough needs to proceed a professional one for him though

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about Hunt the Hunted?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
What about Hunt the Hunted?

Bumped because I'm not sure what Hunt's status is. Are there impending decisions we're waiting on from legal or league entities?

Legend
Legend
No legal issues at all; he is completely in the clear and nothing to worry about.

Furthermore, with the new CBA, any issues with pot are no longer issues at all.

The only concern now is getting him re-signed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C

cfrs15 #1753306 04/17/20 05:24 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Good news

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Yes good news. Now Hunt needs to see that this coming year is the biggest year of his football life and crush it both personally and professionally. I am rooting for him.

Go Browns!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It pains me to say this, tread lightly. We have been down this road before, we must reserve our expectations.

Kareem and Nick exist in this hypothetical hyper functional backfield, looks nice on paper.

We all want him to do it, show me

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
cfrs15 #1753654 04/19/20 10:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Good news this is.

Hope we make better use of pounding the ball relentlessly. I would love to play BullyBall this year!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's a great sounding theory. But when you have such strong weapons at WR and RB, not making the most out of both sides of the offense wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Expect a very balanced offense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's a great sounding theory. But when you have such strong weapons at WR and RB, not making the most out of both sides of the offense wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Expect a very balanced offense.

I agree. Last season we threw it 539 times, we ran it 393.

I'd like to see it balance out by being able to run more plays because we aren't punting as much and run it another 100 times and get it more to 50/50.

Heck maybe even run more. If you are running more than passing it means you have a lead in the 4th quarter and you are just grinding them in to the dirt.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with the balanced offense approach. Of course that can vary from game to game depending on what the scoreboard looks like in the 4th quarter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I'd like to see it balance out by being able to run more plays because we aren't punting as much and run it another 100 times and get it more to 50/50.

Heck maybe even run more.

With Chubb and Hunt as your RB's and a offensive scheme heavy on play action .... 100%

The more things change the more they stay the same.
cfrs15 #1753711 04/19/20 01:20 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Thanks for sharing, great clip....and makes sense, get everyone involved...IF possible....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

The Browns do have two excellent RBs in Chubb and Hunt.

The Browns have two excellent WRs in Landry and OBJ.

The Browns have two TEs w/talent in Hooper and Njoku.

The Browns OL is far better at pass blocking than run blocking.

Should we really run it more than pass? The only reason I can think of is to keep the ball out of Baker's hands. Is that what we want to do?

For the record.

--Only one team in the entire NFL ran the ball more than they passed the ball. That team was the Ravens. https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html?sort=passpct

I tried finding the league average on pass to run ratio, but got frustrated by a ton of articles that listed each team rather than the league average. Maybe someone like cfrs can post the numbers?

Here is an interesting read from Sharp Analytics, [the best in the business.] I have to post the link due to all the charts.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/an...ned-the-corner/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I'd agree with everything in your quote but this. Conklin, Tretter and Bitonio are all excellent run blockers. They are all good pass blockers. We don't know what we have at LT and RG yet.

That being said, we won't need fantastic pass blocking this year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmm..........

I was talking about last year, but I have to reconsider..........Conklin is a much better run blocker than pass blocker. So, I will retract that previous statement as we move forward. I'll keep it for last year.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with the balanced offense approach. Of course that can vary from game to game depending on what the scoreboard looks like in the 4th quarter.

No doubt. If you are playing from behind you are going to try to pass more and gain yards in chunks. On average..at least most of the time you are going to gain more yards per play when throwing the ball.

I am pretty excited thinking of the possibilities this O brings.

Heck, I even like the fullback. He is more than just a meathead blocker back there. He can actually run the ball. He is a runningback. That is all I ever wanted.

Like I have said, if blocking is all you want out of the position, just stick another guard back there.

Who was our Fridge? Dave Puluzi, Puzullo? I think he backed up Golic at NT.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
cfrs15 #1753826 04/20/20 05:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B

I have seen the clip before. I like Leach.

Don't get me wrong. You still have to throw the rock. If you read my post, my thinking is get to run more plays because you aren't punting as much and once you hit the 4th quarter is when you balance out the numbers.

I can see us like the Redskins under Gibbs in the 80's. At halftime Riggins had 39 yards on the ground. By the end of the game he had 120+ yards. Riggins owned the 4th qtr. of most games.

OK, we have a 2 score lead, just feed John and let him run over people. I can see Chubb and Hunt doing similar things, be it a bit less running over people, but slipping away from people.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

The Browns do have two excellent RBs in Chubb and Hunt.

The Browns have two excellent WRs in Landry and OBJ.

The Browns have two TEs w/talent in Hooper and Njoku.

Should we really run it more than pass? The only reason I can think of is to keep the ball out of Baker's hands. Is that what we want to do?

For the record.

--Only one team in the entire NFL ran the ball more than they passed the ball. That team was the Ravens. https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html?sort=passpct

I tried finding the league average on pass to run ratio, but got frustrated by a ton of articles that listed each team rather than the league average. Maybe someone like cfrs can post the numbers?

Here is an interesting read from Sharp Analytics, [the best in the business.] I have to post the link due to all the charts.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/an...ned-the-corner/

This is just me, but I believe that if we focus on the run or are a "run first" team if you will, that we are much more likely to see Year 1 Baker than Year 2 Baker.

I think by really focusing on the run, we'll be much more likely to be in control. All numbers aside, when you look back at Year 1 Baker's execution he was soooo much more comfortable and confident. Even when the play broke down many times he was able to make a successful play. He seemed to thrive on play action.

Even if we do go a more run first focused approach, my feeling is that there are still plenty of balls to get thrown around. If we're executing how we should and can, OBJ and Landry can still get their 100+ yrd, 1+ TD games in.

IF, IF, IF Baker gets his mechanics back under control, we might even see a more efficient QB with this.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I do think there is a hazard with a balanced approach, depending on how hard you are trying to achieve balance for the sake of balance. That hazard being the tendency to out smart yourself. Too often we've seen where we get on a roll, then for no apparent reason we switch it up (usually to less success) and kill our momentum. There's almost an anxiety that says in order to stay a step ahead we have to keep changing things up before the other team figures out how to defeat it.

First I find that thinking self defeating because you've actually helped your opponent by resolving their problem without making them do it. Second, I think there's something to be said for recognizing your strengths, and riding that horse as far as it will take you.

Now we're in a good position to be in. Chubb/Hunt is as good as any RB stable in the league, and OBJ/Landry are as good as any WR duo in the League.

Both are major strengths for us, but at this time I'd give the edge to our RB's only because OBJ/Landry have to rely on Baker, and he's still our unknown variable.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Don't have an expectation you seem to perceive. We were not tough enough on a regular basis to win. If it is in your offense, it should be able to hurt people, and by 'hurt' I mean force folks to adjust to it so you set up the next wrinkle. I expect all phases to push a D around, not just the run. We have wanted to establish the run, and then relied on the air game.

We are talking about the games as called by Huey and FK in hindsight. But the same shortcomings were repeated too often, and we talked about being tougher; that referenced mental and physical. I think strengths were squandered already, seemingly abandoned in second half decisions. The Gibbs reference in this thread was closer to what I would like to manage to achieve. No disagreement at all from me. But stepping up to new strengths shouldn't hobble anyone. I think we could be dangerous.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I more see it as an overall approach. You always have to consider your opponent. If you find a weakness in your opponent, you must exploit it. Whether that means you focus on the pass or the run to exploit your opponent.

And while I agree with Baker being an unknown variable at this juncture, I think most everyone agrees he looked much better in 2018 than in 2019.

In 2018 We rushed the ball 411 times and passed the ball 574 times. We averaged 26 rushes per game. I'm not trying to suggest that it is the approach we use this season, but I think some have the impression that we ran the ball more in 2018 than in 2019. That running the ball more in 2018 helped Baker's comfort level.

In 2019 we 393 times, passed the ball 539 times and rushed the ball an average of 25 times a game.

The ratio was very similar and Baker looked completely different in those two seasons.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The way I see it, Chubb/Hunt is/are the star of our offense. They are both proven and can get it done. Better blocking in front of them will allow them to do even better.

While OBJ/Landry/Hooper are also proven, the guy throwing them the ball isn't. Until Baker can prove he can start taking more and more of the offense on his shoulders, we should be run-heavy (in this day and age, that's around 50/50).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Great news IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Pretty surprising. This gives us a lot of leverage after the year is over and Nick Chubb is extension eligible.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Chubb’s contract extension is iffy now however

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope not.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Chubb’s contract extension is iffy now however

I think that depends on this year. If they both rush for 1,000+ and we become an unstoppable rushing-first team, we extend Chubb in a heartbeat. Also, it depends on how much Chubb is asking to receive.

Anyway, good extension for us and Hunt. Toledo!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
This is outstanding news.

And, in no way whatsoever can you convince me that this affects Chubb's extension, at all. Chubb will get his, and there is no way this front office and staff want to deliberately give up on such a one-two punch in the backfield.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Not sure what I think about this.

1. A few years ago, Hunt was probably considered a top five running back in the NFL so getting an RB at this price certainly has value. Top RBs are getting around $15-$16 per I believe in recent deals. He is a 3 tool RB in that he can run catch and pass protect. Chubb might need more seasoning and experience in the latter two, but is probably a stronger runner, IMO. Hunt seems more versatile in the passing game as well. I wonder what his career snap count is lining up or motioning along the line?

2. Hunt has has some off field issues and don't know if that is over with.

3. Chubb is a FA at the end of next year, and on the current contract Hunt at the end of 2022. Not sure what this means at the moment in terms of any FO strategy but it is interesting.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Smart guys doing smart things. thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M

I agree here that this probably causes little leverage. I think many expect Chubb to build on his numbers and warrant a large contract extension. So is the Hunt deal protection more than leverage if Chubb prices himself out of what the FO would be willing to pay? Especially knowing they would have Hunt for one year more if they didn't extend Chubb?

Kamara and Cook are the next top two RB extensions to take place. Again, I'll be interested to see what those end up being.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hunt The Player

Link Copied to Clipboard