Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Man oh man would I love to wrap myself around a tree in this thing!

It

Is

BEAUTIFUL!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/m...ray/1757514001/

TUSTIN, Calif. — The radical new 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray looks like a spaceship or fighter jet, but its superpower is gravity, not flight.

In the biggest change in America’s greatest sports car’s 66-year history, engineers moved the eighth-generation 'Vette’s engine from its familiar location under the hood to behind the passengers, over the rear axle.

That’s because gravity was an ally, not a foe as Chevy worked to let the 'Vette put more power on the road than ever before, chief engineer Tadge Juechter told me in an early look at the sports car that debuted Thursday night.

More on 2020 Corvette: Prices, features of new C8 draw gasps

“We began exploring possibilities in 2005,” two full generations of the Corvette ago, Juechter said.

With 60% of the car’s weight over the rear axle — the proportion super car maker Ferrari traditionally pursues — gravity pushes the rear wheels down onto the road so they don’t spin, inaugurating a future of faster and more maneuverable Corvettes.

The result? Zero to 60 mph in less than 3 seconds and more technology and luxury than ever before in a car that remains unmistakably a Stingray.

The changes are so profound that some longtime Corvette fans swore Chevy ruined the car before they saw one without camouflage, sat in the driver seat or learned how quick it was.

I’ve done all three.

Tons on photos in the link

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I am still partial to the 1963-1966 model 'Vette. Absolutely stunning and every time I see one I turn my head and dream.

Legend
Legend
I’d like to own that ... wouldn’t like to pay for it tho smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
So glad you posted this. Huge Corvette Fan myself ever since elementary school (late 70's early 80's) and riding around in my uncle's 67' Convertible. My cousin now has that car.

This is fantastic news for me as I have my eyes on grabbing a 12' or 13' C6 Grand Sport. With the base model C8 starting under 60...my Grand Sports are going drop in price nicely.

The performance on this new car is absolutely ridiculous. a base model with the z51 package doing 0-6 in UNDER 3 SECONDS!!!! The exterior is a little busy in some places, most notably the back. But I love the rear haunches on this thing and it has a wonderful profile. I am not overwhelmed by the roof strakes...BUt not disgusted by them either. And I for one love the driver centric Cockpit. The interior is beautiful and I actually like the column with the atmospheric buttons. Better than searching through multiple touch screens on the central monitor.

I had seen some very accurate renderings of the car on other sites, and yet the car still seemed to surprise me...That engine bay is fantastic. I love the red valve covers...and match that with the red engine cover....WOW!!! When I heard the performance numbers and under 60K to start (which is right along line with the current C7) I am flabbergasted...

This is a base model that will blow away most of the exotics. We still have a Performance model rumored to have 900-1000 hp with a twin turbo V8. I have also heard rumors with a hybrid version with electric motors up front to assist with acceleration.

Just so much going into this car and you still get 12.6 cubic ft. of cargo space!!!! What mid engined super car has that??? It was a huge concern among the Corvette purists who loved the cargo room of the current models. It was a defining attribute. But to hear you can still bring 2 golf bags and still have room up front for a carry on and laptop bag....ridiculous. You can't do that in a Lamborghini....

I can't wait to read the road tests on this car!!!

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Looks more like a Ferrari than a Vette. Gorgeous car, wow.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

That's not a corvette, its a Ferrari with a Chevy logo.

Sorry, but real Vette enthusiast will hate this, and most of us do.

L
Legend
Legend
L
My dad(now step mom since he's passed) has a 76 stingray beautiful car and he had engine built, My 2013 Z06 with the 7liter is a beast but this car is jaw dropping. They've needed a mid engine vette forever. This could be the most dominant supercar ever built.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
J/C
Anyone who wants a ton of info on this car both pre and post release can go to https://www.corvetteblogger.com/

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
They have some pics of the convertible as well...(the real convertible...not the coupe with the targa roof removed...LOL)

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Looks more like a Ferrari than a Vette.

That's my issue with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Agree.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL at all the folks in the Mini Vans dogging the 'Vette.

That thing is Super-Sweet!

Legend
Legend
So what's this thing cost?

More than my house, I bet.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
My initial reaction: I don’t love it. I don’t hate it. I am very glad it exists. Chevrolet seems to be wanting some common exterior styling cues across it’s lineup because I can’t help but see too much Camaro and even some Cruze in the rear. I’m not sure I like the car overall...yet. I felt underwhelmed but that is fading quickly (unlike the Supra reveal lol).

As this day has passed I fee better about the car. At the end of the day, it’s hard not to love what is being offered for $60k. Massive props to GM here.

Surprised there hasn’t been as much backlash regarding the lack of a manual option. It doesn’t bother me personally, just saying. Maybe that’s again a testament to the value. I hope they offer it down the road.

Here’s a question I posed to a friend earlier - would you rather have a gently used C7 ZO6 or a C8? I picked these for reasons of similar price point.

I would need to drive it before I could render an honest opinion. If I end up truly not liking it down the road there are plenty of C4-C7s that would entertain me quite nicely.

Signed,
The opinion of a current Vette owner

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Good luck with your C6 GS hunt. Let me know if you have any questions and share some pics when you find the one.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Thanks Mike. Hunting one down with the options, colors, etc I want is half the fun...LOL I have a couple color combinations in mind...but ideally would love to get a Midnight Race Blue.

From what I understand, the C8 driving feel will not be similar to the Corvettes you are used to. You know how when you drive the next generation models of cars. and you say....yeah that feels like mine, maybe a little better...lol It won't be like this with the Vette. And I think it is wholly because you, as the driver, are closer to the turn point of the car. I mean you are almost on top of the front wheels...lol They say the car feels like it turns around you.
But everything else I have heard/read has been spectacular.

The more I see of the car, the more "Corvette" I see in it. Especially from the 3/4 views and above. I am not sure about the convertible. I like that it is a hardtop, I like the roadster look of it. And I like the buttresses behind the passengers. But I have always been more partial to the coupes and you don't get to see the engine like you do with the coupe.

If I had the choice of the C8 or C7 Z06....I think I would go with the C8. I don't need a million horsepower and the C8 would still have enough luggage space for my needs. Not to mention if the numbers are correct, we are seeing the base C8 having similar performance. And it costs less too!!! Just my thoughts on that...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shelby GT 500

I would prefer the 2020 Ford Mustang...Love the sound of a Real Muscle car... That Vette looks good. Just not my choice of looks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
LOL at all the folks in the Mini Vans dogging the 'Vette.

Do you really need to own a car to have an opinion of whether you like the design of a car or not?

I didn't think so....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I recently saw a minivan w/a bumper sticker that said: I Used to be Cool.

E
Legend
Legend
E
A minivan tried to run me off the road yesterday.

He got the horn.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I recently saw a minivan w/a bumper sticker that said: I Used to be Cool.

lmao ! That's funny.. My wife was into cars big time..knew more about them then me.. I owned and built Harleys back in the day.. My dad raced cars and I would help him a bit..

After kid # 3 ... she decided she needed a mini van..I got her a blue Chevy Lumina mini... She was okay..but absolutely couldn't wait to get back into a Monte or a Muscle car of sorts... lol

Legend
Legend
You got her a Lumina minivan? No wonder she couldn't wait to get into something else. I wouldn't even drive one of those as a free demo. crazy

Man, those were a cross between a moon buggy and an ant eater. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rotflmao there were no cool mini vans... it at least kept us from having another baby smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have partier friends that put Soccer Mom bumper stickers on the backs of their mini vans. Its keeps the cops from pulling them over. They swear by it.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I believe they start around 60k

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Yep. More than my house then. crazy

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

??? how busted is your house?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

??? how busted is your house?

My house is nice, and in a good neighborhood. However, since it is in the city of Youngstown, it's a less expensive property.

I am in Browlee Woods, and I am probably 6 blocks from Boardman, Poland, and Struthers. It's Youngstown City Schools, however, since I'll probably die in this house, that doesn't matter to me from a value standpoint.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 07/21/19 01:03 AM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The dealership that I just ordered my new RAM truck from just got a Hellcat Red-eye in and if they still have it when my truck comes in I think I'm going to ask if I can give it a test drive. That is a pretty nice looking vette though.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I've never pwned a mini van and I still don't care for the design of the new Vette.

I do really like the design of the new Chevy Blazer though.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
He got the horn.

You should have given him both horns.
wink

He's here all week, folks.....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
He got the horn.

You should have given him both horns.
wink

He's here all week, folks.....

I'm a unicorn, not a goat. wink

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

This is what happens if you hit metal debris in the road.

The divit in the wheel AND the tire. Doh!

My car now has a donut. Going to dealership tomorrow.

No Craps Given
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Used their configurator. I tried the Zeus Bronze color....wasn't sure how I would like it...But when I finished...it rocks!!!

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/TWeLk4f9hMNuXiDH8[/img]

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray's price and features draw gasps

Link Copied to Clipboard