Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm with you with the videos. Watching that Zegura one was annoying. It's just him standing there, talking, with 3 or so tiny clips of action. If you've gotta do a video, at least make half of it showing people I want to see (the players).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
How did Kush do the first day of pads, is he taking over the RG spot or what?

Legend
Legend
It looks like it’ll be a 3 man rotation at RG

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Browns notebook: Baker Mayfield calls out teammates in practice, Freddie Kitchens approves

By George Thomas
Beacon Journal/Ohio.com

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal/Ohio.com

Posted at 6:23 PM
Updated at 6:23 PM

BEREA — Baker Mayfield is the clear-cut leader of the Browns.

If case someone didn’t already know it, the young quarterback reminded everyone in attendance Saturday at the third practice of training camp.

As Mayfield rolled to his right under pressure during an 11-on-11 period, he became furious with his wide receivers and yelled for them to work the scramble drill. For emphasis, he used an F-bomb as an adjective. Pleased with the fiery display, the crowd cheered.

And coach Freddie Kitchens approved of Mayfield calling out his teammates.

“I expect my quarterback to get everybody on the same page,” Kitchens said after practice. “That’s what I want.

“I think you have different [types of] leaders. I want him to be himself. If he wanted to say something, he said something. It does not matter to me.

“They need to be on the same page. That is their job. I am going to do my job, and everybody needs to do their job. Just do their job, and we will be successful.

“Some people did and some people did not, so whenever somebody does not, somebody needs to correct it, whether it is a coach, another player or another player in the same room. I do not care how it is done. I just want it corrected.”

Related content
Visit from ex-Browns Brian Sipe, Jerry Sherk, Robert Jackson provides history lesson
July 27, 2019
Mayfield got it corrected.

“He’s getting on us because he cares, and obviously we’ve got to do a great job of what he says,” wide receiver Rashard Higgins said. “So we’ve got to scramble.”

Running back Nick Chubb said Mayfield’s outburst served as a necessary wake-up call.

Rashard Higgins interview: Browns wide receiver talks chemistry with Baker Mayfield and more

“It gets us going,” Chubb said. ”... We’re all for each other, and if he wants something changed like that, we’re going to fix it, we’re going to get it right for him. It wasn’t like he was out of place. He said exactly what needed to be done. We’re the ones running with him. We needed that.”

The defense had the upper hand for the vast majority of practice. A moment after Mayfield shouted, linebacker Christian Kirksey playfully told fans the QB’s reaction proved the defense had been performing well.

However, Mayfield had the last laugh. During a two-minute drill late in practice, he connected with receiver Odell Beckham Jr. for 18 yards, receiver Jarvis Landry for 19 yards and Landry for a 23-yard touchdown on a three-play, 60-yard scoring drive.

“That’s what happens when we execute,” Kitchens said. “Those guys did a good job. They did a good job up front. Baker had time to throw, and they did a good job running the routes and catching the ball. I expect them to execute.”

— Nate Ulrich

Not too Greedy

Rookie cornerback Greedy Williams impressed last month in mandatory minicamp, and he has maintained his momentum in the early stages of training camp.

Even though he practiced with the starters for most of the spring, he worked with the second unit in the first two training camp practices. After he had two interceptions Friday, including one off a Mayfield pass intended for Beckham in the end zone, he rotated in with the No. 1 defense Saturday.

“That was a great feeling,” Williams said after the third practice of camp. “Getting started early in camp, getting an interception definitely brings a lot of confidence and makes you go out there and grab another one. Just having fun with the game and when plays come my way, I make ’em.”

Pro Bowler Denzel Ward and TJ Carrie have been fixtures on the first-team defense. Williams and Terrance Mitchell are in a battle.

“I just know I’ve got to keep building, come back every day and just keep building and put myself in a great position to be with the ones,” Williams said. “Right now, I’m just happy where I’m at, ready to keep building each and every day.”

The coaching staff is making the second-round draft pick earn the job instead of handing it to him.

“Oh, yeah, it was like this at LSU,” he said. “I redshirted, came out, just got an opportunity and took advantage of it.”

That may be the correct attitude to possess, given the fact the Browns have experienced cornerbacks. On the first 11-on-11 play of practice, Carrie intercepted a deep pass Mayfield intended for Beckham.

“TJ made a great play on a post route,” Williams said. “He came to the sideline. I gave him a lot of love.

“We’re just working together as one unit just trying to put the best players in the best positions and trying to make this team a winning team.”

— George Thomas

Dialing it down

It proved to be a baptism of sorts on the opening day of training camp when rookie linebacker Sione Takitaki laid a hit on veteran running back Duke Johnson while the team practiced without pads.

Johnson took offense and there was a short dustup afterward. In Saturday’s practice, the first with players wearing pads, Takitaki appeared to horse collar running back Dontrell Hilliard.

“I feel like I’m a high-energy guy, so I just go out there and try to attack stuff and do everything right. Kind of got chippy,” Takitaki, a third-round pick, said. “But that’s just me being a rookie and not understanding what the NFL is and coming out here and practicing right. That’s kind of one of the learning things that, over these three days, I’ve been learning from the vets and the coaches just to play under control, keep everybody healthy, things like that.”

The coaches have let him know it’s an important lesson to learn.

“He is a physical guy. Sometimes he lets that get the best of him when we are in shorts,” Kitchens said. “I don’t want him to change who he is. I just want him to be able to play in shorts, practice in shorts and get better. He is working at that.”

— George Thomas

New experience

Second-year running back Nick Chubb occupies a different role in the locker room as opposed to last year’s training camp, when veteran Carlos Hyde was still on the roster.

With 2017 Pro Bowl selection Kareem Hunt sidelined with a groin injury and suspended by the NFL for the first eight regular-season games of 2019, Chubb realizes he needs to take on a leadership role.

“In a way, I do because I know that as of right now, I am the starting back,” Chubb said. “Whatever comes with that, comes with it, but I am ready for it. I am ready to help this team out in any way that I can and lead the other running backs.”

— George Thomas

https://www.ohio.com/article/20190727/SPORTS/190728618

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
The chemistry of this team is going to be interesting to watch unfold. I hope we get off to a fast start.

Legend
Legend
Greedy Williams making early push for permanent spot in starting lineupby Scott Petrak July 27, 2019

BEREA — Rookie cornerback Greedy Williams ran stride for stride with Odell Beckham Jr. on a deep route down the left sideline Saturday.

He jostled with 6-foot-7 tight end Demetrius Harris on an incompletion into the end zone.

He had two interceptions a day earlier, including one in the end zone on a pass intended for Beckham.

The coaching staff wants Williams, the No. 46 pick out of LSU who had a strong minicamp, to earn his spot in the starting lineup and had him open training camp with the second-team defense. He took the depth chart in stride and is closing fast on veterans Terrance Mitchell and TJ Carrie.

“I just know I’ve got to keep building,” Williams said Saturday. “Come back every day and just keep building and put myself in a great position to be with the ones.”

He realizes the coaches may be testing him to see how he handles a challenge.

“That could be a possibility, just trying to see where my head is at,” he said. “I’m in high spirits, just want to get better every day and learn from the older guys. Hopefully I put myself in a great position.”

Coach Freddie Kitchens likes that Williams has gotten his hands on a lot of balls already — he had eight interceptions in two seasons at LSU — and wants to see the development continue.

“He just needs to keep getting better every day,” Kitchens said. “I don’t know if there is any one thing I can point out. He just needs to get better.”

The coaches should get all the information they need to determine whether Williams belongs in the starting lineup opposite Denzel Ward, the No. 4 pick last year. With Beckham and Jarvis Landry at receiver, all the cornerbacks will be put through the wringer.

“Those are high-tier guys and if you’ve got some of those guys on your team to make a defense better, I’d rather have them, too,” said Williams, who’s rotated in with the first team the last couple of days. “They come out with it every day. Moving fast, knowing their assignment and they just want to make everybody better, whoever they’re going against.”

Lining up across from Beckham is extra special.

“One of the greatest I’ve ever seen play their position,” Williams said. “Just going up against him gives me a big boost on other guys. It is a shocking moment just being on his side, playing against him. But at the end of the day it’s all football, we just compete and try to be one of those great teams.”

At 6-2, 185 pounds and on an island, fans have had no problem identifying Williams in his No. 26 brown jersey. He’s received loud cheers and there’s a buzz whenever he’s on the field.

“It’s amazing, just them welcoming me in and they just want to see me do great on the field,” he said. “And that’s one of the big moments that you play for, just having the fans into it and I just want to make them happy.”

Not only does he have the Chris Rock face, he has the catchy nickname given to him by an aunt as a 6-month-old because he drank so much milk.

“Oh, yeah, they love the Greedy nickname,” he said. “You’ve got to love it.”

He’s also giving teammates plenty of reasons to appreciate him.

“A young guy who comes in every day willing to work, willing to learn,” safety Jermaine Whitehead said. “You should see him in the classroom, a lot of questions, just a hungry guy that wants to get on the field. You know, he loves to compete, and that’s all I can ask from him.”

And he has big-time ball skills.

“He’s very competitive, makes a lot of plays,” Whitehead said. “That’s exactly why he was drafted and we hope he can help us get far.”

Linebacker Sione Takitaki was drafted in the third round, 34 spots later than Williams, and has gotten to know Williams.

“Greedy’s a funny guy. He’s always joking around in the locker room,” he said. “But he’s actually a really mature kid. He has a daughter, takes care of his business. And then when he’s out there on the field he does his job making plays.”

The end zone interception in front of Beckham gave Williams a jolt that could propel him into the starting lineup to stay. He said he did what he was supposed to and was in the right spot.

“That was a great feeling,” Williams said. “Getting started early in camp, getting an interception definitely brings a lot of confidence and makes you go out there and grab another one. Just having fun with the game and when plays come my way, I make ’em.”

His favorite part was getting the ball at its apex.

“Catching the ball at the highest point is one of the best pictures you can ever get as a DB,” he said.

His nerves vanished with the first interception in organization team activities, but he’s still asking questions and receiving guidance from Carrie and Mitchell despite the competition.

“Playing time is going to come for each of us and we’re just locking in and helping each other out,” Williams said. “No bad blood. We’re all on the same page trying to do what’s best for the team.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/07/27/gr...tarting-lineup/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It would be huge if Robinson could really step up in his technique. He has all of the physical traits to be an elite guy .... if he can just put the mental side together.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It would be huge if Robinson could really step up in his technique. He has all of the physical traits to be an elite guy .... if he can just put the mental side together.

Watch Robinson handle Myles within this video....man oh man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clCqY49cbo

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It would be huge if Robinson could really step up in his technique.

From Jeff Risdon....

Legend
Legend

Greedy is such a likable guy.

Hungry and high effort will always catch a coaches attention.

But Greedy is so natural as a corner. Smooth, quick, burst, has that recover speed. Has the length.

He is going to make his mark in this game.

Legend
Legend
I like that Baker is the alpha ... not saying he has to scream and berate guys, but he’s gotta command the standard.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
trooper, I think Robinson is going to continue to improve upon last years performance. Our line as a whole is going to be solid by the most important measure. not pff grades, those are irrelevant. The only measures that matter are does baker stay upright to complete his passes and do our running backs have holes to run thru.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Hilliard becomes more valuable right now ... you wonder if we’d actually look at Theo Riddick now

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Flipping the finger at a fan will cost him I bet. Freddie won't like that.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Flipping the finger at a fan will cost him I bet. Freddie won't like that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Cool moment...

Legend
Legend
Good on Odell for that

Bad on Chad (and the fan I guess)

I like hearing that players are being held more accountable

D
Legend
Legend
D
Anyone know where to get the daily pressers ... i’ve never listened to them cause there usually fluff bs but i like freddie’s ... i don’t think he’s completely FOS ... thumbsup

Are the pressers each day on the official site?

Legend
Legend
I’ve just seen them on facebook as they occur

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
YouTube...Freddie...seven minutes ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZzc9ifQfHU

Legend
Legend
Fresh Takes: Observations from Day 4 of Browns training camp

The Browns' motto in 2019 and beyond -- especially in the team's 2020 redesign -- is "Nothing Fancy."

Perhaps the coaching staff should consider adding "nothing foolish" to it.

Sunday's practice saw a few avoidable mistakes, including one that landed the players on the sideline for a little bit of a mental reminder of what not to do when between the lines. Instead of football, fans were treated to a front row seat for conditioning.

Here are our five observations from Day 4 of #BrownsCamp.

Training Camp Photos: Best shots from Day 4
Check out photos from the fourth day of Browns Camp by team photographer Matt Starkey

RELATED LINKS
News & Notes: Freddie Kitchens flattered by Haslams’ high praise, but keeping focus on this year
Browns player press conferences - Olivier Vernon, Sheldon Richardson, Larry Ogunjobi
Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam talk expectations, stadium future and more - Press Conference
Freddie Kitchen talks Browns' big tight ends, kickers, avoiding penalties and more - Press Conference
Fresh Takes: Observations from Day 3 of Browns Training Camp
Browns QB Baker Mayfield ranked No. 50 on NFL’s Top 100 players
1. A good session goes sideways

Sunday was a productive day on the field through the majority of practice. The offense seemed to fix its issues from the previous day and was carrying over some of the momentum gained from its impressive finish to Saturday's session. Practice had a crisp pace, mental errors were scarce and the competition was strong. Both units were battling.

Then, the competition boiled over. We had our first skirmish of camp.

The culprits: defensive end Chad Thomas and tight end Pharaoh Brown, with Thomas serving as the primary aggressor. The initial scrum lasted for close to 30 seconds, with tight end Orson Charles attempting to separate the two before linebacker Christian Kirksey walked Thomas off the field. It was late in the practice, and head coach Freddie Kitchens was not OK with the time wasted.

He sent the entire team to the sideline to run half-gassers -- sideline to sideline and back -- and made sure Thomas returned to the field to run with his teammates.

Each group ran three half-gassers before the team convened for a huddle and then returned to the practice agenda. The whole process ate up about 10 minutes of time.

Veteran defensive end Olivier Vernon wasn't surprised that a fight broke out -- that's the nature of football camp -- but he did say Sunday was a first for him.

"O-line, D-line, we're always going to battle it out," Vernon said. "There's always going to be words exchanged. It's training camp. Ain't nothing changed, it's been like that since the prehistoric times. Guys are going to get into it, they're going to bark at each other. That's how it is. It's football."

But Sunday was a first for the seven-year veteran.

"That's my first time (running because of a fight)," Vernon said. "Different. Freddie, he don't want us doing anything dumb. He wants us practicing hard but practicing smart. You know, that's what it is. We've just got to take ownership of that."

The fight will be forgotten a day from now, if not sooner. Scuffles are part of the mentally and physically grueling experience that is a training camp. It's not for the meek.

"It's still camp, it's still football, like I said it's an emotional game," defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi said. "All of us have egos in some way, shape or form. Sometimes it's gonna happen. You've just gotta take it, because it's camp."

But the running, in front of thousands of fans on a picturesque Sunday in Berea, is indeed different. It's part of a no-nonsense approach taken by Kitchens, who seems like a jovial, friendly guy but also takes everything on the field incredibly seriously. He sends flag-drawing linemen on a run to the nearest wall, and he'll send his whole team 53 1/3 yards and back if they make mistakes.

"We just don't practice penalties," Kitchens explained Sunday, "and like I told you guys the other day, if you do something wrong in life, there's consequences."

"We're gonna be in shape," Vernon said. "I'll tell you that."

2. A good day for Austin Corbett

Sunday was the first big day for Austin Corbett in the ongoing battle for the open right guard position.

The rotation at the spot kicked off with Corbett running with the starters, but he wasn't in pads. Those began Saturday with Eric Kush getting the first-team reps.

When it flipped back over to Corbett, the pads were on. And Corbett impressed.

While the defense threw a variety of blitzes at the interior front three -- watching Joel Bitonio and JC Tretter pass off twisting linemen is a treat -- Corbett remained stout. Never was Corbett completely beaten, and even if he lost off the snap, he managed to recover in time to protect Baker Mayfield. He was also effective in the run game, with the first play of the full-contact team period going for a Dontrell Hilliard touchdown off the right hip of Corbett.

It was an important performance for Corbett, who hadn't done anything to lose the job, but also hadn't gone out and taken control of it, either. It was encouraging, if not relieving to see Corbett play well Sunday. Should he string together a few of these sessions, he'd be in good shape to end up as the starter.

Beyond the starting job, Kush returned to second-team center with Kalis manning second-team guard and third-team center responsibilities. An interesting wrinkle new to camp was the shifting of Drew Forbes from left tackle to right guard and back. When he was at left tackle, Bryan Witzmann played right guard. When Forbes played right guard, Witzmann moved back to left guard, and Brad Seaton played left tackle.

It's clear the staff is tinkering with the line in an attempt to figure out its depth early in camp.

3. Defensive line learning each other

Much has been made of the Browns' offensive potential, but the winners early in camp have been the defensive linemen. They've caused plenty of issues for the offense and look to be the strongest position group on the defensive side of the ball, especially when strictly discussing starters.

Vernon and Myles Garrett are ferocious off the edge, Sheldon Richardson is a load and a half to handle inside -- just ask the Browns' interior offensive linemen -- and Larry Ogunjobi might be the defense's best-kept secret. They seem to be adjusting to each other quicker than usual, too.

"It's good, we're just trying to build cohesiveness, building a bond and learning off each other," Vernon said Sunday. "That's typically how it goes in a D-line room. Just build chemistry."

Vernon's inclusion is interesting because he is flipping sides of the line with Garrett depending on the offense's strong side, something he called "just another challenge." Vernon is also returning to playing as a traditional defensive end after filling a 3-4 outside linebacker role in New York last season. That means more snaps with his hand in the dirt.

"We played a lot of Nickel last year," Vernon explained. "So I could've had my hand in the dirt a lot. It was just labeled as a 3-4. But it always feels good to have your hand in the dirt and rushing four guys, four dawgs. Let's get it."

A big point of emphasis on the subject from both Vernon and Ogunjobi was the freedom afforded to them by defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, which then allows them to play off each other. That was emphasized by each player Sunday, which should excite fans. Players with such talent being given space to do what they deem is best should create more positive plays for this defense.

4. Rough go for kickers

There was a consistent breeze Sunday that made the conditions pleasant for those in attendance, but more difficult for those kicking.

Austin Seibert and Greg Joseph both struggled during field goal sessions, with Joseph hitting more field goals in the special teams portion, and neither hitting a situational field goal at the end of practice with the Browns facing a hypothetical 2-point deficit.

Kitchens wasn't too concerned with their play afterward. It's early in camp.

"Listen, when you're a kicker, you better have a short memory," Kitchens said. ... "If you're playing for us, all of the positions, because we're going to play the next play. That's the only one that matters. I'm not concerned about that kick, I'm worried about the one tomorrow."

To each of their credit, when warming up at the start of practice, each hit at least one kick on the extremely narrow goal posts set up on Field 2, which is very difficult to do.

5. Team playing with passion
Kitchens emphasized repeatedly during the offseason how important it was to him that his players are passionate about football and play the game with passion. He's getting plenty of that so far.

The defense and offense have quite a rivalry going early in camp, with the defenders (unsurprisingly, Damarious Randall chiefly among them) talking plenty of trash to the offense and vice versa. The defense got a boost late in practice when Mayfield completed a pass to Jarvis Landry, who made a man miss and looked to be off to the races when Joe Schobert swooped in from behind and knocked the ball out of Landry's arm. Jermaine Whitehead recovered the fumble, ending the first team's chance to get in position to kick a hypothetical game-winning field goal.

Words were exchanged as the units left the field -- and this was after the fight had happened.

This type of energy is important because despite its conflicting nature, it'll help this group when they have to band together and take on an actual opponent in the regular season. In the meantime, they're competing and making each other better on a daily basis.

Kitchens even applauded Thomas and Brown, saying the two "were making each other better" when the fight broke out. He likes the passion; he just wants it directed through better channels.

And teammates aren't as upset about running as one might think, because they understand the message sent by Kitchens. They're all out to play with passion without penalties.

"Same thing like in high school and college," Ogunjobi said. "It is annoying and you do not want to do it, but at the end of the day if it happens to you, it is the same result. And as brothers, sometimes your brother makes a mistake and nobody makes a mistake on purpose, but sometimes when you get a penalty the whole team pays for it and that is just an example of that. So being able to just bounce back from it and have to finish practice and still focus and still have a job to do. I feel like it does a good job for the team so it is cool."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/fresh-takes-observations-from-day-4-of-browns-training-camp

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Troop....thanks for posting the link...good stuff.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E

Someone really needs to help Baker with his grooming habits.

The Chester The Child Molester mustache does not work. Unless your name is Pedro.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Austin is going to be a pleasant surprise to you peeps.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think all the QBs went with the mustache today.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Odell Beckham Jr. just gave some lucky kids the cleats off of his feet

Diva.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice to hear that Corbett looked pretty good.

Not sure if it's true, but if Thomas was not hustling while running the gassers, he might indeed be watching the games w/the fans.

Legend
Legend
Training camp log, Day 4

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/07/28/training-camp-log-day-4-2/

FAN (MOSTLY) FRIENDLY: The players interacted with fans throughout the day, including during practice. All of them were positive, except for defensive end Chad Thomas flipping the bird toward the stands.

Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. changed cleats early in practice and handed the first pair to a young fan, and defensive end Myles Garrett played catch with fans in the bleachers from the field.

Rookie offensive lineman Drew Forbes and rookie quarterback David Blough took it up a notch, climbing into the bleachers and running down the front row slapping hands with the fans. Quarterback Baker Mayfield, who’s sporting a new mustache, and quarterbacks coach Ryan Lindley egged on Blough.

NEWS OF THE DAY: Owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam spoke to reporters in their annual camp news conference. They’re happy to see the fans excited for the season, and Jimmy Haslam said he expects coach Freddie Kitchens and Mayfield to be with the team for a long time.

CAMPER OF THE DAY: Garrett is spending more time on the left side of the defensive line after the addition of end Olivier Vernon. That’s been bad news for right tackle Chris Hubbard.

Garrett badly beat Hubbard on two plays Sunday for what would’ve been sacks and spent a lot of time in the backfield. He also scooped up a Mayfield fumble to punctuate a defensive stop.

Garrett was ranked No. 49 on NFL Network’s Top 100 list, one spot above Mayfield.

“Lowest I’ll ever be again,” tweeted Garrett, whose goal for 2019 is to be Defensive Player of the Year.

PLAY OF THE DAY: Running back Dontrell Hilliard is getting more time with the starters and second team with Duke Johnson (hamstring) and Kareem Hunt (groin) sidelined. He took advantage with a 40-yard touchdown run off right tackle. The line opened a hole, Hilliard avoided a diving tackle attempt by cornerback Phillip Gaines and was off to the races.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I think the expectation is to win. I think that’s everybody’s expectation.” — Dee Haslam.

MONDAY’S SCHEDULE: 10 a.m.-noon.

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I think Austin is going to be a pleasant surprise to you peeps.

I think Eric Kush is going to be that pleasant surprise for you guys.

Legend
Legend
Browns Owners Confident, Optimistic About Season
By BRIAN DULIK -

https://pro32.ap.org/article/browns-owners-confident-optimistic-about-season

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Jimmy and Dee Haslam purchased the Cleveland Browns in 2012. After five coaching changes and zero winning seasons, both are confident this is finally their year.

"I think the expectation is to win," Dee Haslam said. "I think that is everybody's expectation. We feel like we're off to a great start. We can't help but be excited for the fans. It's a big deal for Cleveland. It's tremendous."

The Tennessee businessman and his television producer wife held their annual training camp news conference Sunday, endorsing the goal of winning the Super Bowl set by coach Freddie Kitchens and general manager John Dorsey.

Though the Browns haven't made the playoffs in 17 years and have a 26-78-1 record under the Haslams' ownership, they welcome the sky-high expectations being fueled by quarterback Baker Mayfield and Pro Bowl wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

"You would much rather be in this position," Jimmy Haslam said. "We've learned a lot as we've gone along. It has been painful, but I think we have really good people in our organization that we feel really comfortable with.

"The most important lesson was to get the right people in the right place — and to get a quarterback."

Mayfield set an NFL rookie record with 27 touchdown passes last season, leading Cleveland to its best record since 2007 at 7-8-1. At the time, Dorsey making him the No. 1 overall selection out of Oklahoma was viewed as a gamble, but is already paying off.

"We not only have a really good quarterback, he is also a really good leader who loves football," Jimmy Haslam said. "We were fortunate to have the first pick, and John and his team made a great pick in Baker. Obviously, he is going to be a part of our franchise for a long time to come."

Running back Kareem Hunt, who was cut by the Chiefs, has a much murkier future with the Browns. The Northeast Ohio native has been suspended for eight games by the NFL, but negotiations with the league to keep him around the team are ongoing.

Hunt was involved in a recent fight outside a downtown Cleveland bar, prompting further fan criticism of his signing.

"I think you have to take the situation very, very, very seriously," Dee Haslam said. "We know that Kareem has work to do and he is in counseling, working really hard. It's up to him. It is truly up to him. He needs to work really hard to be part of our organization."

The Browns' business pursuits were addressed, as well, including their desire to extend the lease on their suburban Cleveland practice facility to 2039. Dee Haslam added that the long-term plan to develop property around FirstEnergy Stadium is moving slowly.

The team also is redesigning its much maligned uniforms, which will be replaced next season. When a reporter asked if the Browns' unique, logo-less helmets would be changed at the same time, Dee Haslam answered emphatically.

"No. No. Never. Absolutely never," she said. "We talk all the time that Cleveland has a certain way about it and we want our organization to reflect that."

Ultimately, none of the extraneous issues are as important as winning games. Jimmy Haslam declined to make a specific prediction for this season, but his confident tone said it all.

"John and Freddie have done a good job expressing our expectations," he said. "It looks like we put together a good team. We also feel really good about the people we have in place.

"But you have to remember we only won seven games last year. Enough talk. We have to go out and win games now."

NOTES: DE Chad Thomas, a third-round pick in 2018, made a vulgar gesture toward a group of fans while he was running sprints. Kitchens made the entire squad run as punishment after Thomas and TE Pharaoh Brown got into a fight. "I have talked to Chad about it, but that's going to stay between us," the coach said. "I think he will learn." ... Rookie K Austin Seibert missed 4 of 5 field-goal attempts, making the fifth-round selection 4 of 9 in camp. Incumbent K Greg Joseph is 8 of 9. ... RB Duke Johnson (right hamstring) missed his second straight practice. Hunt (groin) and RB Trayone Gray (calf) remain on the active/non-football injury list.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Happenings (Day 3): Fourth-string QB becomes a face in the crowd

Most Popular
2 Akron-area doctors, their children hurt in plane crash in New York
Freddie Kitchens: ‘I’ve done the research; have you?’
FBI investigation of ‘human chop shop’ uncovers buckets of body parts, ‘Frankenstein’ corpse

Never Miss A Story
Subscribe to Akron Beacon Journal

OUR PICKS

Posted at 6:51 PM
Updated at 6:51 PM

BROWNS CAMP HAPPENINGS

David Blough was football’s man of the hour last October when he passed for 378 yard’s in Purdue’s 49-20 rout of Ohio State.

Now Blough is lost in the crowd as the No. 4 quarterback in Browns training camp. On Sunday, Blough resurfaced ... literally in the crowd.

Practice was off to a sleepy start when someone behind the gallery ropes saying, “Why is it so quiet?

As if on cue, out of the blue, at the end of a drill, Blough sprinted toward the crowd and commenced to slap every hand he could find among fans perched at field level.

“Let’s go!” the rookie yelled. “We need some!”

Blough then ran to the east grandstand, climbed the access stairs, and ran all along the first row yelling and waving his hands. He was a major hit with the capacity crowd.

Not so much with a coach who was looking for him to be in the next drill.

“David!!!”

A memorable chance taken by a player with nothing to lose? It may have been a simple case of rookie hazing. Earlier, rookie offensive lineman Drew Forbes ran into the stands.

• The biggest roar of the day followed a long touchdown run by Nick Chubb. Playing against a defense armed in full pads and authorized for some contact, Chubb got to the line in a hurry, made a cut, and took off.

Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson pointed out the defense wasn’t practicing game-like mayhem, but he said it was a legit reflection of Chubb’s talent.

“We got gashed,” Richardson said. “Chubb made an excellent move.”

• Chubb’s strong practice included another breakaway later. The most notable aspect of the second one might have been defensive end Myles Garrett looking as fast as the running back in pursuit.

• Baker Mayfield dodged the initial rush, stepped up in the pocket, and was still moving when he unleashed a pretty missile deep down the right sideline.

Odell Beckham seemed to have a chance to make a circus catch. Rookie Greedy Williams applied tight coverage and made the attempt more difficult.

• The entire team had to run sprints as punishment for two players getting into a post-play scrap. There were three rounds of gassers. Beckham took them seriously and was the first to finish two of his three sprints.

• Linebacker Adarius Taylor is a sixth-year pro who knows the ropes on special teams. During an onside kick drill, Taylor looked the ball into his hands and fell to the ground while tucking and cradling the football, facing away from the kickoff team.

“That’s good football!” special teams coordinator Mike Priefer yelled across the field.

• Backup running back Dontrell Hilliard turned some heads with his burst on one inside run, prompting David Njoku, who wasn’t in on the play, to celebrate with a Ray Lewis-style air kick.

Moments later, with the ones on, Njoku sprinted into a seam and gathered in a 25-yard completion from Mayfield.

• D’Ernest Johnson, a 23-year speedster out of South Florida, is trying to make an impression as a kick returner. He was a sensational return man going back to his high school days in Immokalee, Fla.

The crowd groaned when he bobbled and dropped a short kickoff early in practice.

• Antonio Callaway shows gliding speed during his kick-return chances. He has a knack for looking as if he is trying to run through a tackler only to make a tricky cut at the last split second.

While at Florida, Callaway scored twice on punt returns in 2015 and once on a kick return in 2016.

• Last year, when somebody yelled “Juice,” it usually was associated with Hard Knocks star Devon Cajuste. Now it seems everyone is calling second-year Brown Jarvis Landry by his nickname, “Juice.”

Landry opened one 11-on-11 set with a nice deep catch from Mayfield. He took an awkward fall while trying to make a sharp cut, but quickly got up and sprinted back to the huddle.

MONDAY’S SCHEDULE: Practice from 10 a.m.-noon

— Steve Doerschuk

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190728/bro...s-face-in-crowd

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
--Long runs in TC are hard to judge because guys aren't really tackling.

--Landry never catches anything other than "2 yard bombs."

--Nice to see OBJ winning 2 of the 3 gassers.

--Not sure if his coaches liked it, but I thought the story about the backup qb from Purdue was pretty cool. grin

L
Legend
Legend
L
Thank you, and everyone else, for posting the articles.

Every night is a good night when I read we have no major injuries.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Good news on Corbett ... it’d be so nice if he ran away with that job

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard