Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thank u dawg ...

I really like this cat ... i feel rel real good about Freddie ...

Thanks again sir ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
j/c

I feel good about Freddie too. I like his demeanor and honesty. He’d be the type of coach I’d like to play for, at least based on early returns.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone going to the Brown & Orange scrimmage?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
This cat loves teaching ... he was teaching the reporters at the presser yesterday ... not a joke, he was ... thumbsup

Can’t wait for todays presser ... especially since as of now it sounds like no injuries ... thumbsup

I’m with on that one Lamp ... any injury free day is a GREAT DAY .... just wanna say hi so u know i’m not mad at u ... *LOL* ...

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Cool pic ... Brian Sipe, Baker, and Tim Couch ... needs Bernie, though.

Legend
Legend
Should of taken the picture here:

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notes: Tackling takes center stage

Right guard race still tight, no movement on Duke Johnson front

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/tackling-focus-freddie-kitchens-cleveland-browns-training-camp

Berea, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Tackling is a football fundamental that has avoided the Browns in recent years, but head coach Freddie Kitchens and his staff are out to change that.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Browns dead last in tackling last year and over the last five seasons the team is ranked among the worst according to the publication.

With a new defensive staff under coordinator Steve Wilks focused on fundamentals, Kitchens expects vast improvements in 2019.

“We are putting the time in to do it,” Kitchens said following Monday’s practice. “I think we were a better tackling team today as far as guys are continuing to learn how to practice. In this league, sometimes you go a long time without knowing how to practice. Everybody likes to run plays and everybody likes to make their checks and make their calls and make their alignments. A bunch of that stuff is to make the coaches feel like they are doing something, but at the end of the day, the game is about blocking and tackling.

“If you can do the blocking but you can’t do the tackling, you are going to beat. If you can do the tackling but not the blocking, you are going to get beat. We are going to be a better blocking and tackling team. That is what we are stressing in our individual periods. That is what we are stressing on tape. That is what we expect to get on the field.”

Kitchens’ assistant coaches spend significant amounts of time during individual and positional drills daily teaching and emphasizing the fundamentals of leverage, body control, wrapping up and taking a opponent down.

“We are working on it every single day,” linebackers coach and run game coordinator Al Holcomb said Monday. “Our angles to the ball, leverage in the football, knowing and understanding where our help is in terms of tackling.

“A lot of times when guys miss tackles, you see them breaking down far too far away from the ball carrier. We have to continue to take the grass, close the distance and when we arrive, we have to have good fundamentals and form tackling.”

Linebacker Joe Schobert, who enters the final year of his contract, led the league in missed tackles in 2018, a feat he does not expect to repeat in 2019.

“When everybody’s doing their job, it’s going to be a good defense and there aren’t going to be a lot of missed tackles,” Schobert said.

Schobert, along with fellow linebacker Christian Kirksey, should benefit significantly with the additions of Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson up front and the 4-2-5 scheme Wilks is running.

“I did my job fitting my fit in probably a second or a second and a half and the buck was already tackled on two of the three plays,” Schobert said. “Myles was in the backfield, Larry O (Ogunjobi) – those guys are just blowing up plays and that is going to make it easy for us because offensive lines are going to have to focus and double on them, get the linebackers over the top and squeeze them through holes and make plays on the ball.”

Tight race – The right guard competition does not have a leader and the rotation at the position continues.

On Monday Kyle Kalis started at right guard, Austin Corbett was the No. 2 center and Eric Kush was the backup right guard and none of them have taken control of the competition.

“I wish one was, but I want them to compete,” Kitchens said. “We’re not ready to name a starting (right) guard.”

In the hause – Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, who represent running back Duke Johnson, were in Berea Monday.

They spoke with Browns GM john Dorsey and assistant GM Eliot Wolfe in the VIP tent prior to practice and vice president of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith on the field.

Johnson, who has requested a trade, has been sidelined the past few days with a hamstring injury but there doesn’t appear to be much movement and likely won’t be anytime soon Again, the Browns aren’t going to cut or just give Johnson away.

Frightening flashback – Jarvis Landry ran out of the locker room and onto the practice field barefoot holding his socks and cleats in his hands Monday morning.

The scene conjured up memories of the 2008 Browns camp when receiver Braylon Edwards was horsing around late in practice barefoot and got stepped on by fellow receiver Donte Stallworth. Edwards suffered a cut on his heel and required stitches. The incident produced one of the more memorable and colorful quotes in the expansion era from then head coach Romeo Crennel.

“Kids are kids,” Crennel said. “You look at kids, they take their shoes off and run around all the time.”

Shaken up – Tight end Seth DeValve appeared to get banged up late in practice on a deep ball from Drew Stanton that fell incomplete.

As the ball hit the ground, rookie safety Sheldrick Redwine collided with DeValve and his right shoulder appeared to hit the tight end left shoulder-neck-and head area.

Kitchens did not have an update on DeValve following practice.

Puppy pound counter – 3 puppies were adopted Monday and 39 through two practices. The partnership with the Northeast Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is in its fifth year and since its inception in 2015 has seen a total of 399 puppies find homes during Browns training camps.

Injury report – RB Trayone Gray (calf-NFI) and RB Kareem Hunt (groin-NFI), WR Damion Ratley (right hamstring), RB Duke Johnson (right hamstring), Edge Genard Avery (ankle), DB Donnie Lewis Jr. (foot) did not practice.

Up next – No practice Tuesday. Next practice Wednesday 10-noon.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Fresh Takes: Observations from Day 5 of Browns training camp

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/fre...medium=referral

Monday brought us a new week and our fifth straight day of practice in Berea.

It was a hot one, but the play on the field wasn't burning as much as it was smoldering. Here are our five observations from Day 5 of #BrownsCamp.

1. Bring on the break
Day 5 was also the fifth day of practice in a row for these Browns, who have worked in pads for the last three of those days. It was 85 degrees in Berea in the middle of practice Monday, and it was evident a day off was needed.

Luckily, that's exactly what the schedule calls for with Tuesday's break.

Practice was punctual, but wasn't nearly as crisp as earlier sessions in the week. Targets all over the field dropped passes, ranging from starters to third-teamers. Blocking assignments were missed, and coaches were upset. Odell Beckham Jr. and Olivier Vernon did minimal work before spending most of the practice standing alongside their teammates. Hitting was also toned down until the final periods of practice, though head coach Freddie Kitchens said afterward that wasn't by design.

It was a bit of a sleepy practice, with the fans only getting active a few times. Jamie Gillan sent a punt deep that drew oohs, and some near-highlights got fans excited, but overall, it seemed as though they, too, needed a day off.

They'll get that Tuesday.

2. Takitaki speaking with his words ... and actions
Sione Takitaki rubbed some players the wrong way early in practice when it became evident he didn't know *how* to practice without full pads. He definitely irked Duke Johnson when he attempted to wrap him up with his facemask on the first day.

"I'm a high-energy guy, so I just go out there and try to talk stuff and do everything right," Takitaki explained. ... "I kinda got chippy, but that's just me being a rookie not understanding what the NFL is and coming out here and practicing right."

Four days later, Takitaki is a making his name known for the right reasons.

You'll likely hear him before you see him. He's the man in the middle with the second unit, making all of the calls, flying around the field and tackling the ball carrier before letting out a yell or two. On Monday, he was there early and often, carving out space in the consciousness of everyone observing.

"He's gonna run around, he's gonna talk, he's a high-energy guy, he's out there making plays," linebacker Christian Kirksey said Monday. "I like Taki, man. He's gonna be a guy that just gets the team riled up. He's a young rookie but he has a lot of energy. It's good to see him go out there and make plays."

He also took up some space in the heads of the offensive staff when he blitzed on a pass later in practice and flattened D'Ernest Johnson, who had stepped up into the hole to attempt to block. Running backs coach Stump Mitchell had some choice words for Takitaki after the play.

"It's football. Guys want to talk back and have fun," Kirksey said of the interaction. "I think (Takitaki) made a great play out there and the running backs coach was like 'you know what, let's talk some trash.' So it was all friendly fire ... that means we're doing something good."

This team had a clear need at linebacker as it entered the draft, and Takitaki looks to have what it takes to fill a depth need, if not eventually ascend into the starting role. He's the perfect type to focus on once the pads come on, and so far, he's proving to be true to his film.

3. Willies keeps on keepin' on
We've discussed the back end of the receiving corps plenty and haven't come near a consensus on who might fill out the final two spots on the roster. That's not unusual at this point in a camp, but Derrick Willies is making a strong case for one of the jobs.

Willies is a quiet individual, but at 6-foot-4, he's still tough to miss. Quarterbacks in this Browns camp aren't having a tough time finding him, and he's reciprocating, catching everything near him. He snagged a touchdown pass on a drag route run during an early red-zone period Monday. He's also a reliable special teamer and would fit such a role on this team, too.

Fans might forget Willies was in line to be the No. 3 receiver entering Week 6 last season before he suffered a broken collarbone that effectively ended his campaign. He seems to be building off that momentum left on the field in 2018.

There's only one player who might have had a stronger start to camp, and we'll discuss him in the next point.

4. No backs? No problem
Nick Chubb talked earlier in camp about how he had to mentally prepare himself to shoulder a heavier load after Kareem Hunt and Duke Johnson were both sidelined with minor injuries. He's doing an excellent job of it.

On a rough day for the offense (much of which being caused by Myles Garrett's pressures and a lack of effective blocking up front), Chubb again found space to make plays. He got the crowd going when he caught a well-timed screen on the left side and weaved through his convoy of linemen for a touchdown, and he managed to rip off a few lengthy runs afterward.

Chubb's place on this team is intriguing because he's not a loud person. He doesn't allow many people into his circle of trust. It takes a bit to get something out of him.

But while he isn't a vocal leader, he's doing everything right on the field. He's the most consistent player on this team through five days of camp, and if it serves as any indication, he'll pick right up where he left off at the end of 2018.

5. Callaway getting his feet under him

For the first few practices of camp, Antonio Callaway hummed under the radar.

He didn't receive a single rep with the first team until Day 4 of camp and wasn't in position to make a memorable play until Sunday. If Monday is any indication, it appears as if Callaway is starting to get his feet under him.

Callaway ran largely with the second team again Monday, but he took advantage of his opportunities. The wideout made a pair of nice grabs on slant and out routes, found the end zone on an end-around reverse during a red zone period and managed to snag a pass while Greedy Williams was draped over him along the sideline. He's also been receiving kicks at a position at which most expect him to compete for a job.

"He's doing good. He's doing what's expected of him," Kitchens said Monday of Callaway. ... "We're a long way away, but he's going to be one of (the team's punt returners)."

There aren't any viral highlights associated with Callaway, but it's encouraging to see him get into the mix.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield: Grading his performance on Day 5 of Cleveland Browns training camp
By Jake Burns

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...ining-camp.html

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Nice synopsis on Baker .. Burns does a nice job

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Inside Browns camp: New optimism and expectations, Baker Mayfield's verbal sparring, a potential trouble spot and more - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/g00/nfl/news/i...-spot-and-more/

Inside Browns camp: New optimism and expectations, Baker Mayfield's verbal sparring, a potential trouble spot and more
Here's everything you need to know about the scene in Berea as the Browns get ready for 2019

BEREA, Ohio – Signs of life and hope and progress and optimism abound all around the Cleveland Browns practice facility.

Myles Garrett, a potential Defensive MVP candidate, was playing catch with young fans in the stands between drills at Sunday's practice, Odell Beckham Jr., a potential Offensive MVP candidate, gave his cleats to some youngsters after individual drills and quarterback David Blough – okay, I admit I have no idea who this rookie out of Purdue is and he is not going to make the team – was literally sprinting through the stands in full uniform at one point leading the diehards in cheers they were ever-so-eager to follow.

The Browns are back.

The moribund Hue Jackson era seems long gone (it featured three wins in roughly three years), the promise of Baker Mayfield and a new day was fulfilled as the Browns went an previously-unfathomable 5-2 down the stretch, including pushing eventual AFC North champ Baltimore to the limit on the road in Week 17. I expect the Browns to pick up where they left off, and to seriously challenge for the AFC North title.

If the Browns had a modicum of head coaching acumen before turning things over to interim Gregg Williams at midseason, or had a decent kicker for much of the season or had started Mayfield from Day One, they very well could have been in the postseason a year ago. Now, after a series of huge acquisitions – OBJ, Sheldon Richardson, Olivier Vernon and what could be another hotshot draft class, too – expectations are high, and with actual football games upon us and the bright lights of all those prime-time kickoffs creeping closer, this franchise is trying to manage the hype, harness expectations and not get caught up in all of the hoopla.

"We're trying to stay in the moment," as rookie head coach Freddie Kitchens, who served as offensive coordinator after Jackson was fired and Williams promoted to interim HC last season, put it.

Everyone seems a little restless about reliving the turnaround of 2018, as it insures nothing for this season and, well, all the clichés apply (games are not won on paper/you can't win a Super Bowl in July/you are what your record says you are) and 7-8-1 last year wasn't enough to get to the postseason.

"I don't care about last year anymore," Kitchens said at one point Sunday, echoing sentiments his owners had expressed a few minutes earlier at their media availability. Asked if the playoffs should be the expectation, owner Jimmy Haslam responded: "I think that's unfair." They strained not to project much about the future and preached the mantra of one practice at a time. "Clearly it looks like we put together a good team, but everyone is focused on getting better today," Haslam said, and later offered: "Enough talk. We've got to go out and win games now."

The players seem to be enjoying the new vibes around the team, and receiver Jarvis Landry, who was talking Super Bowl a year ago, isn't backing down now. "That's our goal," he reiterated.

I joked with Garrett about the Browns becoming America's Team. "We just want to be Cleveland's team right now," Garrett said. "That's where we are. These fans have loved and supported us through all of these years, and whoever else comes on with us, we're going to appreciate."

Left tackle a spot to monitor

Despite all of GM John Dorsey's shrewd moves – his applause walking to the practice field Sunday as loud as almost any player's, for good reason – you have to wonder a bit about the left tackle spot. Greg Robinson, a former top pick, has held his own early in camp for the most part, and the front office believes he can do the job … but if he falters, expect a proactive response from an aggressive GM. Facing Garrett everyday should help, though at times it's not going to look pretty on the practice field. I'd put Browns left tackle up there with Texans left tackle and Steelers No. 2 WR and Bears kicker as some of the most important roster spots to monitor the entire preseason.

Kicker taken in fifth round struggling
Speaking of kickers, fifth-round pick Austin Seibert is not off to a great start in his first camp. He was only one-for-four on Sunday and had missed half his kicks to that point early in camp. Greg Joseph is a holdover from a year ago, but when you draft a kicker, you expect him to win the job. "Hopefully he comes out tomorrow and does better," Kitchens said.

Verbal sparring between Mayfield, defense

Garrett told me the defense loves some of the verbal sparring that goes on with Mayfield during practice, especially a spirited full-pad session like Sunday. "Oh man, he gets hype," Garrett said, "and we just have that mentality to shut him up. You can't start talking if you ain't making plays. So you know if he is getting like that and getting fired up, he's either mad, or he's throwing darts on you. So you've got to take that away from him. To his credit he's a great player and we've seen it and we're just seeing the beginning." Chubb said the offense feeds off that intensity. "He has great energy, he leads the team," Chubb said. I'd pencil Mayfield in for at least 32 touchdowns and a top 10 passer rating.

More notes from Browns camp

Don't hold your breath for a Duke Johnson trade anytime soon. Maybe around the midseason trade deadline, if the team is in great health and Hunt is still on track to return. But this club is about having as much veteran depth as possible right now.

Would not be surprised at all if Kareem Hunt is recovered from his groin injury by midweek and back at practice. The Browns are still negotiating with the league about allowing him to remain with the team during his eight-game suspension for striking a female outside his apartment last year, Jimmy Haslam said. Dee Haslam noted how much hard work he will have to continue putting in off the field to walk the right path. Hunt, who looked explosive in spring practices, has clearly been embraced by his teammates. "That's my boy," said second-year running back Nick Chubb, who stands to lose some work when Hunt returns. "Kareem, he is really cool. He came in and we hit it off right away. Just picking up the playbook and having fun. He's a lot of fun to be around."

Rookie Greedy Williams is earning rave reviews early. He may have fallen far in the draft after being projected a top-10 pick at one point, but his transition to his zone duties seems smooth and he had several nice breakups Sunday going against starting receivers. Dorsey's work drafting corners has been superb.

The Browns may have the biggest tight end group I have ever seen. Seth DeValve, at 6-3, is dwarfed by David Njoku (6-4) and Pharaoh Brown (6-6) and then they added Demetrius Harris (6-7) as a free agent this year. Watching them work 11-on-11 in the red zone -- with Landry and OBJ underneath and Harris and Njoku working the back of the end zone, and Chubb running in spread formations -- options abounded for Mayfield.

Hiring Todd Monken as offensive coordinator will prove to be one of the best moves of the entire offseason. He provides a tremendous sounding board and resource for Kitchens – who is calling the offense but could get spread thin by the other requirements of the job. Monken was a finalist for head coaching jobs a year ago and I would be shocked if he is not running his own team in 2020. His work in Tampa did not go unnoticed.

Kitchens quickly broke up a skirmish Sunday involving largely backups and then made the entire team run laps. It was a minor flare-up but would have drawn penalty flags in a game, which clearly perturbs him. "We just don't practice penalties," he said, adding, "If we do something wrong on the field there are consequences."

Former AAF quarterback Garrett Gilbert looks intriguing. He received abundant reps on Sunday with Drew Stanton getting a veteran's day off and made some nice throws and has looked the part thus far of a guy who could at least hold a clipboard in the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The tackling thing is kinda tough considering they don't really tackle in practice. They try to wrap up, which means you decelerate before you reach the guy. That is not a good practice habit.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
This cat loves teaching ... he was teaching the reporters at the presser yesterday ... not a joke, he was ... thumbsup

Can’t wait for todays presser ... especially since as of now it sounds like no injuries ... thumbsup

I’m with on that one Lamp ... any injury free day is a GREAT DAY .... just wanna say hi so u know i’m not mad at u ... *LOL* ...

lol, I had forgotten all about that!!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Wasn't it Freddie who questioned this practice on Hard Knocks?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Somewhat. He wanted them in pads, I believe. Haley was the one who was incredulous.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
But this club is about having as much veteran depth as possible right now.

Good! Excellent! Bravissimo!!

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
What we’ve learned through the first 5 practices of Browns camp

Competitions heat up with no clear leaders for jobs

DARYL RUITER
JULY 29, 2019 - 11:01 PM

© Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

CATEGORIES: Browns Training Camp NFL Browns
Berea, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – After five physical and grueling practices, the Browns get a breather on Tuesday with their first day off.

While it’s entirely too premature to make any declarations or start fitting guys for rings this early in camp, we’ve learned a few things.

First and foremost, all the questions and talk about whether Freddie Kitchens can handle the big personalities was a waste of hot air. Kitchens has been in command demanding accountability, teamwork and leadership from his players. Whether it’s making players run for lack of focus penalties or fighting or putting his arm around someone after they didn’t make a play, Kitchens clearly has this. Don’t let his folksy southern charm fool you. He just doesn’t need to shout profanities across the field to demonstrate the quality of coach that he is.

The defensive line is as good on the field as it looks on paper. Baker Mayfield needs a traffic cop in the backfield it’s been so busy, and that’s OK according to Kitchens. Myles Garrett, Olivier Vernon, Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi have spent significant time collapsing the pocket through the first five practices. Kitchens views that as a positive about the defensive front rather than a negative towards the offensive line.

Mayfield looks comfortable as he begins his sophomore season and his teammates treat him like a seasoned veteran. Although the offense hasn’t dominated camp – defenses tend to look like they’re a step ahead this time of year anyway an that’s the case this year – we’ve seen glimpses of how prolific, electric and downright fun this offense can be with No. 6 running the show.

Sure, it’s only five practices but my goodness is Odell Beckham Jr. good. Any description of him as a receiver is a disservice to his talent. He might be the best football player we’ve watched in decades. Not only does Beckham catch everything – and we do mean everything – with ease but he just glides across the field. He’s also an engaging and generous superstar signing autographs and even giving his cleats away to kids attending camp. Whatever issues there were in New York, we’ve yet to see a single red flag with him.

Running back Nick Chubb appears to have two gears running the football – fast and faster. He’s gotten to the edge a couple of times during run drills and his acceleration in open space is impressive.

Tight end David Njoku is still searching for that level of consistency as he enters his third season and the Browns are hoping he finds it. Kitchens likes to say his players “aren’t a finished product” but that phrase, which he also used to describe Njoku, seems to have extra meaning here. Njoku should benefit from having Jarvis Landry, Beckham and Chubb commanding most of the attention from opposing defenses but it seems for every good play Njoku makes, there’s one that leaves you scratching you head in frustration.

Antonio Callaway has been taking his reps recently with the No. 3 offense with a few second-team reps mixed in. Callaway is also in the punt return rotation and the expectation is for him to be used there this season, the question is, how often?

Myles Garrett right now is on another level. As impossible as it sounds, Garrett looks faster and stronger than before. He practices like a man possessed – and to a degree he is. Garrett has been abusing both tackles – Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard in camp. With his sights set on defensive player of the year in his third season, Garrett looks the part.

The right guard job is a tossup, and no one has taken the lead. Austin Corbett, Kyle Kalis and Eric Kush continue to rotate at right guard, the No. 2 center and backup right guard. Not only is a starting job up for grabs but the backup interior lineman is as well and both competitions could go down to the wire in August.

While most of the focus is on right guard in camp, Hubbard and Robinson bear watching in the preseason as well.

We felt entering camp that Dontrell Hilliard would make the team as the third active running back and we’ve observed nothing in the last week to change our minds. Hilliard, who also has been returning kicks, continues to make plays when opportunities present themselves.

Veteran Terrance Mitchell has gotten most of the starting reps opposite Denzel Ward at corner, but it shouldn’t take long for Greedy Williams to find himself with the ones regularly. Williams, who has held his own going up against Beckham when called upon, continues to look like a top-10 draft pick in camp. And to think John Dorsey got him in the second round at 46.

While we’ve penciled Morgan Burnett in as the starting strong safety next to Damarious Randall, Jermaine Whitehead is having a strong camp. Whitehead continues to get reps with the first-team defense in Steve Wilks’ 4-2-5 alignment that includes a three-safety nickel.

The kicking job has been the most disappointing competition of camp to date. Greg Joseph is 8-9 in team work, with his lone miss coming following a two-minute drill game-winning situation from 45-plus, but those are the kicks the Browns absolutely must have made this year. Rookie Austin Seibert has been miserable. Overall, he’s 4-9 in team drills but his misses haven’t been close and one of those makes was a Bankshot off the left upright. The fifth-round pick essentially spent his college career kicking extra points and short field goals for Oklahoma. Regardless of his leg strength, his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. There’s a lot of camp and the entire preseason to go but Dorsey may be shopping for a kicker on Sept. 1.

We’re giving Britton Colquitt the edge over Jamie Gillan – AKA the Scottish Hammer – in the punting competition. Colquitt is a seasoned veteran while Gillan continues to work on the finer points of punting that are required beyond just having a canon for a leg, and Gillan can boom balls – he almost took out a drone over the weekend. What he’s learning is how to work the coffin corner, drop punts inside the 5 and hold on placekicks. With so much at stake this season, the Browns can’t afford special teams miscues and they risk them with Gillan.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-browns-training-camp-first-five-practices

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sounds like our kicking/punting duties will remain the same as last year

I also like hearing that Myles looks more improved ... that’s kinda scary for other teams T’s

Legend
Legend

Head coach Freddie Kitchens addressed the media after training camp day 5 in Berea, Ohio. He discussed Baker Mayfield, what he is confident about thus far in training camp, and how competition makes everybody better.

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ty sir ... thumbsup

I wonder why i couldn’t find it ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Wasn't it Freddie who questioned this practice on Hard Knocks?

Kitchens is sitting players and using the same data Hue used, but crickets from the Hard Knocks critics now.

Now that Kitchens is seating in 'the' seat, he's getting more of it from Dorsey to protect his prized possessions. As a position coach, I'm sure Kitchens was not privy to those type of conversations. As a HC, I'm sure he is, and may be more understanding of why previous leadership may have did things a certain way.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe Freddie's issue on Hard Knocks was them not dressing, doing individual drills, and being with their teammates on the sidelines doing mental reps as opposed to being excused for the day. I believe this is what Freddie is having them do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I believe Freddie's issue on Hard Knocks was them not dressing, doing individual drills, and being with their teammates on the sidelines doing mental reps as opposed to being excused for the day. I believe this is what Freddie is having them do.

Correct.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Skip the intro to 20 second mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2-tIX2DL8

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 07/31/19 09:24 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I cringe watching that scene.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Aditi loves her some AFCN football smile

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns Depth Chart: Biggest surprises and questions after five days of camp
By Jake Burn

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...ys-of-camp.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Navigating the depth chart of a 90-man roster is a challenging chore in training camp. The Browns have yet to put out an official chart, but we can get a rough idea of how the roster is shaping up.

Offense depth chart
Defense depth chart

With any camp, there will be those who shoot up the depth chart, and those who slide down. That has been no different for the Browns.

Cuts will begin to trickle in between now and late August, but let's see who exactly has caught the eye during training camp's first five days.

FAST RISERS
Offense: Derrick Willies came into camp fighting for the fifth or sixth wide receiver spots, but he has put on a show of consistency that has him finding first-team reps. The rangy receiver runs well, gets in and out of cuts with efficiency, and is consistent at the catch point. The Browns love his ability as a gunner on special teams, and with his improved wide receiver play he has a chance for meaningful snaps in 2019.

Defense: Danny Ekuale has entrenched himself as a big part of the defensive line rotation. He has worked his way into backing up Larry Ogunjobi at the shade (1-technique) position. He plays with high energy and sound leverage. If Ekuale can give the Browns 15 to 20 good snaps a game, it will soften the blow of missing out on Gerald McCoy and Mike Daniels.

LOST IN THE SHUFFLE
Offense: Antonio Callaway came into training camp with high expectations from productive OTAs and minicamp. However, we have yet to see Callaway break out in camp, and he has been consistently buried on the depth chart. He is mainly getting second- and third-team reps. The Browns are comfortable with Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, and Rashard Higgins, but they will be counting on Callaway at some point in 2019. It's early in the process and he will likely come out of this funk, but he has yet to earn any serious reps in team sessions with quarterback Baker Mayfield.

Defense: Eric Murray arrived in the Emmanuel Ogbah trade with a full array of skills at strong safety. He has the ability to line up all over a defensive backfield, and can even play nickel cornerback. The Browns are using Murray all over, but nearly all of his reps have come with the second team. Murray had a nice interception return for a touchdown on Day 3, but for the most part has been quiet in camp. Murray seems to trail Morgan Burnett and Jermaine Whitehead, but he will have his chance to impress in the preseason.

POSITION BATTLES
Right Guard: The rotation has been consistent between Austin Corbett, Eric Kush and Kyle Kalis. One player will spend an entire day at the position, then the next day reveals a different player in the spot. When not at right guard, the other two rotate at backup center. Freddie Kitchens said Monday that there is no clear leader yet, and each player will keep getting reps. Expect this one to go right up until the Sept. 8 opener.

Cornerback: Greedy Williams had earned first-team reps in OTAs and minicamp and many expected him to roll into camp with the first team. However, Terrance Mitchell has taken those snaps and is holding down the spot opposite Denzel Ward in three cornerback alignments. When the Browns have a safety in the game during "Big Nickel" personnel packages, T.J. Carrie slides outside opposite Ward. Williams has received the occasional first-team rep, and has battled Odell Beckham Jr. as well as anyone in camp, but the role has not been given to him. This battle might go into late preseason.

ON THE BUBBLE
Offense: Damion Ratley had a solid first day, but hurt his left leg and has been idle since then. In his time away, Willies, Blake Jackson and Jaelen Strong have all had solid showings. Injuries happen, and it doesn't change Ratley's talent. Yet, with so few opportunities and a plethora of talented wide receivers, if Ratley can't find the field soon his roster spot is in jeopardy.

Defense: Chad Thomas had an underwhelming rookie season as a third-round selection in the 2018 draft. His performance in camp has been underwhelming, lacking quick twitch moves needed at end or the strength to play through opposing tackles. The position is full of talented players in Genard Avery, Chris Smith and Anthony Zettel backing up Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon. Thomas didn't do himself any favors with his fight during the fourth day of camp that forced Kitchens to make the entire team run.

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Aditi loves her some AFCN football smile

I think it's because she is stationed in Pittsburgh that it's convenient for her to be in Ohio when the team is relevant or when there is big news, high draft pick, etc. But I could be wrong.

The little guy is a Browns' fan, so that must be cool for him.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Yeah Andrew Siciliano loves the Browns .. I watch him during the NFL Redzone

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c;

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Floater by Drew Stanton to DeValve who just got his finger tips on it...the hit came pretty late.

I guess something to expect from the #2's fighting for roster spots! Seth can't catch a break, hopefully no concussion!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 07/31/19 01:00 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Jc

Not good news on the kicking front. Honestly, call Phil?

Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Happenings (Day 6): Greedy Williams experiences good and bad with starters

Posted Jul 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM
Updated Jul 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM

BROWNS CAMP HAPPENINGS

Rookie cornerback Greedy Williams made an impressive tackle Wednesday during the sixth practice of Browns training camp. But later, he forgot to touch an opponent down, surrendering a touchdown as a result.

"One [of those plays] was good and one of them was bad," coach Freddie Kitchens said.

The good happened when Williams tackled running back Nick Chubb to the ground near the line of scrimmage in an 11-on-11 period. One of the knocks against Williams at Louisiana State University was poor tackling late in his career.

"I don't have a doubt that Greedy is going to tackle," Kitchens said. "Our corners have to tackle. A lot of times, people want to run on corners in the run game. I hope they do because our corners are going to tackle."

The bad occurred when wide receiver Rashard Higgins caught a Baker Mayfield pass against Williams, and Williams neglected to touch Higgins while he was on the ground. Mayfield urged Higgins to get up and score. Kitchens reminded Williams he's not at LSU anymore.

"These guys have been playing football their whole life, and they never had to touch somebody once he's on the ground," Kitchens said. "It's just a learning process."

Williams has had more good moments than bad ones. He started camp on the second-team defense but practiced opposite Pro Bowl cornerback Denzel Ward in the base scheme Wednesday. It was the first time Williams, a second-round draft pick, held the role since camp opened last week. TJ Carrie previously served as the No. 2 corner.

• Nose tackle Larry Ogunjobi sat out team drills late in practice. "More of it was preventive," Kitchens said. "He started feeling a little something, and we just wanted to take care of him." Receiver Jaelen Strong left practice with an undisclosed injury.

• Defensive ends Olivier Vernon (hamstring) and Chad Thomas (illness) and tight end Seth DeValve (concussion) were idle for the first time this camp. The following players remained out due to injury: defensive end/linebacker Genard Avery (ankle), running backs Kareem Hunt (groin), Duke Johnson (hamstring) and Trayone Gray (calf), cornerback Donnie Lewis Jr. (foot) and receiver Damion Ratley (hamstring).

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190731/bro...impression=true

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard