Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Browns asking for consistency from Antonio Callaway

Charean Williams
2 mins ago

Antonio Callaway has spent training camp practicing with the second- and third-team, even when Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry have taken veterans’ days off. Only after Jaelen Strong left with an athletic trainer Wednesday did Callaway finally get some work with the ones.

“What we ask of everybody is consistency,’’ Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Wednesday, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “We don’t want to be a rollercoaster team. You don’t want to be up and down. And I’m not saying that Callaway’s doing that every day, but we’ve got to be able to have guys that rotate and play different spots, and we’re working him at a couple of different spots.

“We’re expecting a lot out of those guys, and that’s the great part about it right now and so Callaway’s progressing very nicely.’’

Callaway has said he wants 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns this season, which, with Landry and Beckham on the roster, seems unlikely. Still, it’s good to have goals.

The Browns insist they still believe in the fourth-round 2018 pick, but Callaway will have to work for everything he gets.

“I think everybody understands who our starting receivers are, OK?’’ Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said. “Everybody else is competing, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. We do not have one depth chart in our room anywhere. I don’t care who’s in there. I just want them competing. I don’t care if you have three wide receivers Baker has never thrown to or Jarvis, Odell and Hig [Rashard Higgins] and Callaway. I don’t care.’’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...impression=true

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I watched quite a bit of today's practice on NFL Network today. It's really hard to learn much. The game has changed. 3/4 speed during practice is now "getting after it."

That's true for all teams. Not just the Browns.

Legend
Legend

Head coach Freddie Kitchens addressed the media following training camp practice in Berea, Ohio. He discussed being a smart football team, the kicking game, and tackling.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Here are the Top 10 plays of Browns Training Camp as of July 31 2019, with plenty more to come.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Jc

Sounds to me like Callaway hasn’t improved much with consistency .. bummer. I was hoping he’d really flash this training camp.
It’s still early of course and he very well could do it, just not yet

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Coach has said that about every player, so why would it be any different for Callaway?

I think people are to quick to make judgements prematurely about players one way or the other.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Coach has said that about every player, so why would it be any different for Callaway?

I think people are to quick to make judgements prematurely about players one way or the other.

Coach wasn’t the one I was alluding to; Baker is the one who said it. It was the first thing he instinctively answered about Callaway’s camp thus far.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
The NFL is a learning process and Calloway throughout his career didn't have to rely on his learning abilities because of his raw talent...I do blame his coaching staff in HS and college.

So now he is a slow learner but it will come he will GET IT hopefully by the time his 2nd contract roles around cause we will need him to take the place of Landry or OBJ. As long as he keeps on growing. Right now his confidence and attitude is what worries me, I hope he continues to work hard for his goals.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I agree w/you in that he can’t lose confidence or let his attitude drop. Keep trying to improve his route running ... and he’ s got the best guys in the NFL to learn from

Legend
Legend
This is where the off-field value of ViceGrips and OBJ comes in. They set the example on work ethic - how to study, how to practice, how to run routes, how to do the extra work needed to perfect your craft, etc... and if some of the absolute best at the position are doing it, you can bet that you need to do it, too.

This is how and where culture gets built.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Agree 100% ... only part u left out is the desire of the students to “drink the water” ... thats huge and so far KJ has been spot on with that ...

We have plenty of leaders on the side of the ball ... who are our leaders on D ... anyone know?

Shobert I guess ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
Kirksey has always been a vocal leader so to say.
Garrett is a silent leader if you know what I mean but he leads in the Gym and pulls others up in conditioning.

Richardson I think has taken on a Leadership role and seems to be connecting with players.

Also Larry if you read him is a vocal leader in the Gym on the field and lockeroom. the DBs...the only guy that comes to mind is Randall but they are not talked about much you would think Mitchell would be as well but who knows.

Our D is going to surprise the NFL!!! wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Here ya’all go ...

ANTONIO CALLAWAY
WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Speaking Thursday, Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Antonio Callaway reported to camp out of shape.

Per Kitchens, Callaway "needed pushing." He apparently had his best practice of camp on Thursday. Kitchens' words come two days after the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Callaway had "consistently been part of the second team." We now know why. It's surprising after Callaway drew strong reviews for his work in OTAs. Callaway is still the clear favorite for No. 3 duties behind Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter
Aug 1, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Figures with Callaway. He just doesn’t seem to have a history of staying on the right track .. probably need outward motivation

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I watched quite a bit of today's practice on NFL Network today. It's really hard to learn much. The game has changed. 3/4 speed during practice is now "getting after it."

That's true for all teams. Not just the Browns.

This has been true for a long time-- players standing around, not really working, occasionally going through a drill. That kind of thing. I haven't watched any recent practices though.

Last edited by Haus; 08/01/19 04:02 PM.
Legend
Legend

Head Coach Freddie Kitchens addresses the media following Brown's training camp practice on August 1st, 2019. He talks about the levels of physicality in training camp and how players learn to balance playing hard and playing reckless. He speaks on the 4 quarterbacks and how is happy with the progress of all of them and how the groups friendship is good for the team.

Special teams coordinator addressed the media following training camp practice on August 1st, 2019 in Berea, Ohio. He discussed the kicking competition, the punting competition, and possible returners.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Defensive coordinator Steve Wilks addressed the media following training camp practice on August 1st, 2019 in Berea, Ohio. He discussed Myles Garrett, impressions of the defensive rookies, and meshing with Freddie Kitchens.

Nathan Zegura breaks down day 7 of 2019 training camp as the wide receiver group shines bright with big plays.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Looks like our top tier WRs had a day today. It also seems like we’re at our best in a fast paced O

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Nice throw and catch....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Nice throw and catch....

Pretty darn good coverage there as well

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
j/c

As I’ve said it’s tough to get a lot from clips, but Baker’s accuracy is always impressive

L
Legend
Legend
L
Accuracy and timing.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Accuracy and timing.
yep thumbsup

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/03/19 04:51 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notes: The Orange and Brown scrimmage
Baker Mayfield says “We have a long way to go execution-wise”

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-execution-room-improvement

Cleveland, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Freddie Kitchens didn’t change much up for the Orange and Brown scrimmage Saturday night.

Other than 10 times the number of fans watching and the venue, it was just another afternoon of work for Kitchens and the Browns as they continue preparations for the most highly anticipated season in over a decade.

“I thought these guys did a great job of staying in the moment and competing,” Kitchens said. “We were sloppy at times and all that, but let me tell you, this group that we have, they are going to compete. If we will compete every day and every snap, we will have a chance.”

Baker Mayfield threw a 23-yard touchdown to tight end Pharaoh Brown, Myles Garrett could’ve planted Mayfield multiple times, Drew Stanton threw a TD to Rashard Higgins and Greg Joseph drilled a 51-yard field goal to cap an eight-play drive.

“Any time you step on this field it needs to be a different type of energy,” Mayfield said of getting to work at the stadium. “We felt that today.”

It wasn’t a perfect afternoon for Mayfield and the first-team offense.

Mayfield had a nice 16-yard run on a roll out to the left, completed a 19-yard pass over the middle to Odell Beckham Jr., who made himself at home by barking with fans, but the drive eventually stalled leading to Joseph’s long kick.

Another series fizzled with a four-and out. Cornerback Terrance Mitchell broke up a sideline pass to Jarvis Landry on first down and Mayfield was unable to convert a throw to Landry on fourth down.

“We have a long way to go execution-wise,” Mayfield said.

Kicking update – Greg Joseph made all five of his tries, including a long of 48 in the field goal 11-on-11 series. Austin Seibert went 3-for-5. He had back-to-back misses from 43 and 46 which drew a few boo birds.

In addition to Joseph’s 51-yarder, Seibert ended the practice with a 38-yard kick right down the middle.

While it appears that Joseph is clearly in the lead, Kitchens declined to pick a leader in the competition.

“We will evaluate that. We are a long way from that,” Kitchens said. “We truly are. What if the next one comes out tomorrow and the other one misses them all and the other one makes them? We are just strictly day by day until we have to decide.”

Right guard rotation continues – The rotation at right guard continues as the Browns have yet to have back-to-back practices with the same player at the position with the first team offense.

Saturday was Eric Kush’s turn and Mayfield isn’t worried about the competition having any negative effects leading into the season.

“Greg Robinson was not playing until weeks into the season last year,” Mayfield said. “Whatever group we decide is the final one is going to be a great one because they are going to show how resilient they are. Stuff happens along the way in the season. Guys getting reps with the first team is not a bad thing right now. Rotating in and just knowing what is expected and the standards.”

Local addition – The Browns signed defensive tackle Tracy Sprinkle on Saturday.

The name might look familiar, and it should. Sprinkle is an Elyria, Ohio native that starred at Elyria High School and Ohio State.

To make room, cornerback Jermaine Ponder was waived.

New digs – The Browns locker room at FirstEnergy Stadium got a makeover this offseason including new lockers, lighting and carpet.

“We just felt it was time for an upgrade,” Browns executive vice president JW Johnson told 92.3 The Fan after the scrimmage. “We put new carpet in there, new lockers, some better lighting and opened it up a little bit so it’s got a little more flow. I think the guys like it. I asked Myles and he said, ‘hey it looks good.’ So we’re not totally done yet but by the time the season starts it’ll be ready to go, but it was nice to give it a little bit of a facelift.”

For the kids – The Browns say they sold 37,686 tickets to the Orange & Brown Scrimmage Saturday meaning the team raised at least $188,430 which goes towards the Cleveland Browns Foundation’s Get 2 School, Stay in the Game! Program which focuses on eliminating chronic absenteeism for kids.

“I wanted to tell you how proud I am of the support that we had today because all these proceeds go to something our organization really believes in,” Kitchens said, “The ‘Get 2 School’ program, and 100 percent from the ticket sales goes to that and this a tremendous start for that.”

The team will continue to donate all stadium Pro Shop proceeds to the Cleveland Browns Foundation as well which they began doing in 2017.

Injury report – RB Trayone Gray (calf-NFI), WR Damion Ratley (hamstring), RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), DB Donnie Lewis Jr. (foot), DE Genard Avery (ankle), DE Olivier Vernon (hamstring), CB Tavierre Thomas (hamstring), TE Demetrius Harris (concussion), TE Seth DeValve (concussion), LB Adarius Taylor (concussion), DT Brian Price (concussion), CB Phillip Gaines (neck) and DT Sheldon Richardson (abdomen) did not practice.

Up next – No practice Sunday. Camp resumes Monday with practice from 10:30am-12:30 p.m.

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Injury report – RB Trayone Gray (calf-NFI), WR Damion Ratley (hamstring), RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), DB Donnie Lewis Jr. (foot), DE Genard Avery (ankle), DE Olivier Vernon (hamstring), CB Tavierre Thomas (hamstring), TE Demetrius Harris (concussion), TE Seth DeValve (concussion), LB Adarius Taylor (concussion), DT Brian Price (concussion), CB Phillip Gaines (neck) and DT Sheldon Richardson (abdomen) did not practice.

Lot's of concussions.

Quote:
We were sloppy at times and all that,

In addition to the much better offensive scheme and play-calling that we had from Freddie and perhaps Zampese over what Haley gave us............I thought another huge improvement was how much more disciplined the team was under Gregg Williams than they were under Hue.

I wonder if we will miss the discipline factor that Williams provided?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Lot's of concussions.

Physical camp.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I like that Baker constantly makes it a point to talk about FES needing electricity and how much it needs to be a home field advantage. You can tell that’s a big point

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Lot's of concussions.

Quote:
We were sloppy at times and all that,

In addition to the much better offensive scheme and play-calling that we had from Freddie and perhaps Zampese over what Haley gave us............I thought another huge improvement was how much more disciplined the team was under Gregg Williams than they were under Hue.

I wondered about the discipline as well. Something that encouraged me was Freddie talking about "we don't practice penalties" and making the team run sprints.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Its seems to me that the Browns Staff like Seibert and are just waiting for him to turn on the numbers as clearly Joseph has done the better of the two...Just think that these guys are waiting for Sonny Seibert to break out and once he does then they got something to back him up with.

Its not about the draft its about the unreliability of Joseph to make an important kick is this the guy they want for that big kick in the playoffs???

So again nothing to back it with just a "FEELING" I'm getting by the reluctance to name Joseph the kicker the competition will end once Seibert has the edge...
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t agree with that bro ...

Why would we announce a winner after the horses have reached the 1/4 pole and still have 3/4’s to go ..

The ST’s coach said they’ve changed the mechanics of both some .. with Joseph i believe he said he was inconsistent with his plant foot placement and his body lean was all over rhe place ... so they have worked on that and a few other things ...

In regards to Siebert i can’t remember what he said other than he was working with a holder that was just learning how to hold and his holder was “inconsistent” but is improving daily .. he did mention somethings they tweeked on his mechanics also i just can’t remember them .. and with Siebert he is learning to kick off the ground as opposed to the flat tee they kick off of in college ... that last one was me not the ST’s coach ..

I think it’s way to early to call the race but it has nuttin to do with the staff waiting for the rook to catch up .. its simply WAY TO EARLY!!!

E
Legend
Legend
E
As stated just a FEELING I got not a fact.
I think the Civil Service test is to get him the job once he turns the numbers around that is when we will hear the coaches stating that he has the edge to the starting job.

Thanks for that info on the holder and yes there is a transition for Siebert on the NFL rules compared with college.

Good to hear cause I like this kid a lot and once he "GETS IT" I think he is the long term and reliable kicker we haven't had since Dawson left us.

jmhFEELING

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't think so, Vers. Freddie seems to hold everyone accountable, and he gets on them for mistakes and has them work until they get it right. I went to the scrimmage yesterday, the practice periods were crisp and moved at a good clip. I saw very few balls on the ground, other than heavily contested passes, batted balls, or throwaways. And to your point, I saw one false start during 11 on 11's and the offender got his ass reamed. Overall, they looked sharp, and it's still early. (Including yesterday, seven days in a row in pads.)

Side note: Strong, Landry, OBJ, Callaway, Chubb, Mitchell, Njoku, Wilson, Garret, Hilliard, Higgins, Willies, and Pharoah Brown all jumped out at me at different times.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard