Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I wonder if we will miss the discipline factor that Williams provided?

That's a good question. It should make a lot of people wonder. I mean let's face it, nobody actually knows what the dynamics were behind the scenes. We heard Wylie say that Zampese was the one most responsible for Bakers development. A lot of people wish to write that off as sour grapes. But at the same time nobody knows how true that may actually be.

We don't know what the results will be. All we can do is hope they will be positive.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/c

In terms of Freddie’s approach, I like that there isn’t a lot of smoke blown anywhere ... it’s all business and matter of fact. With Gregg, I always got the sense he was talking big without much substance ... Like, we’d have a horrible defensive game, and he’d say “These guys really get after it. They’re hungry and desire it, blah blah. ... they’ll get it done”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I thought 5-2 spoke rather loudly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

If it did, Greg Williams would be head coach.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Not trying to start an argument but I still worry about the possibility we made the wrong decision.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Not trying to start an argument but I still worry about the possibility we made the wrong decision.

I am very comfortable with Gregg Williams not being our head coach.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but very cool of OBJ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Me too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Ditto
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Me too.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In another thread I was asked about Camp....here are my immediate thoughts from what I saw:

Originally Posted By: Rishuz
PDX, can you give us a rundown of what you saw at training camp?

Our Dline is going to be brutal for opponents. They were penetrating into our backfield A LOT. I suspect that also has to do with our Oline, but I think our Dline is going to be a force to reckon with. I also think the OLine will improve playing against them because there won't be too many teams as menacing on all sides as ours.

OLine def has holes, at least w/our D it does. I saw our D giving Baker, Drew and the other two QBs a hard time. I also saw them stop the RBs on several plays behind the LOS.

Duke didn't dress. Hunt did, but wasn't involved on the field. Dontrell looked good and D'Ernest Johnson got a lot of reps. The new kid from Ohio U was also used a bit at camp and scored a couple times, but he was going against 2s & 3s.

Willies is HUGE as is Pharoah Brown! I was amazed at how small OBJ actually is, but of course he commands a presence and EVERYBODY at camp and First Energy was focused on his every move.

Callaway looks bigger than all of them and Jalen Strong is very skinny, but had some nice grabs.

Takitaki is as advertised....vocal and fast. He was very noticable when on the pitch. And, of cours eMack Wilson had 2 great plays at Camp (diving pick) and a pick 6 at the O&B scrimmage.

Kicking is a problem...no question. How much is due to holding? Not sure. But, Seibert missed several practicing and went 3/5 in the scrimmage. Joseph went 7/7 in scrimmage inc. a 51 yd in a 2 min drill. BUT, my worry is we WILL lose games if we carry both of these guys. Esp when the winter weather and winds kick in. Joseph is the strongest of the two (at the moment), but I wonder if we could dish a trade? I believe Chicago have two decent kickers at camp. What about Duke for a 5th rounder AND one of their kickers? Just a thought I had while flying home.

IF I had to pick 2 players, one on either side of the ball, who impressed me the most:

Offense: Pharoah Brown. The dude is HUGE and will be a massive target in the red zone or for a 1st down (esp when focus is on the two big WRs and Njoku). I would definitely keep him!

Defense: Mack Wilson. He had a great couple days and it seemed every time I looked up I saw him involved.

It was a really cool experience and I am glad to have been there. The Angels were also in town and they got swept, so CLE was rocking this past weekend. Glad to have visited my old home town and witness it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I would have been ok with either, but I will defer on this one to Dorsey, who had a lot more interaction with both of them.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Thanks PDX ... I heard/read Mack Wilson had a good few days, so it’s good to corroborate. Also, when you say Callaway seems big, do you mean stout/strong? I know he’s on the short side.

Thanks

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Thanks PDX ... I heard/read Mack Wilson had a good few days, so it’s good to corroborate. Also, when you say Callaway seems big, do you mean stout/strong? I know he’s on the short side.

Thanks

In comparison to the other Receivers he was thick around the core, waist/butt and thighs. He was with the 2s and never with the 1s. But, I will be shocked if he doesn't make the team. Willies was just tall, muscular and big...kinda like Gordon. Strong was thin...pencil legs, but he made some good catches. I was close to the field and at one point OBJ was 10 feet away from me and he was shorter than I expected (I looked it up, he is 5'11 and I am 5'10), but of course he is solid muscle and has an amazing vertical as well as ability to twist and contort and catch with one hand (he was doing some practices before the team drills and was catching all of them with one hand).

I should have also added...Greedy was with the 1s and the 2s. AND, after the final whistle of TC he stayed on the field while Blough or Gilbert (can't remember...#3, I think?) threw to Montgomery while Greedy was in coverage. That was good to see.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

If it did, Greg Williams would be head coach.

The pecking order has changed in the coaching staff and as such so have the dynamics. A lot of new faces that have never worked together. So I certainly hope the bulk of the posters are right.

But so far the opinions of the board are based on feelings, not results in the W/L column.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
PDX, thanks.

Any feedback on Baker?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
PDX, thanks.

Any feedback on Baker?

I wasn't overwhelmed by Baker at camp or at scrimmage. He made a couple nice passes and good drop back handoffs, BUT, keep in mind, he is also in and out of the line up. He does drills with 1st team and then comes out and the 2nds come out with rotational players working with the other 3 QBs. So, you don't get a true flow. Even at the scrimmage, which I thought would work more like an actual 2 hand touch game it was rotational/stop start. The 2 min drills were prob the most free flowing of them all.

AND, our defense were also giving ALL the QBs a hard time. This is why I was focusing more on our OLine and our Defense. I really think our OLine will benefit practicing and competing against our Defense as not too many other teams will be as nasty as ours, but I would also LOVE to be a fly on the wall w/OLine, Kicker, punter conversations between Kitcho, Asst. coaches and Dorsey.

EDIT: I do have video of a nice, tight window pass to Landry at Camp that Baker threw. But, like I said above...I wasn't in awe of him, but in fairness I was also focusing on other aspects of our team that I know are questionable.

Last edited by PDXBrownsFan; 08/05/19 12:29 PM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Thanks. Great insights.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Not to quibble, but I am pretty sure the Browns were 5 and 3 under Williams, rather than 5 and 2.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c:

Not to quibble, but I am pretty sure the Browns were 5 and 3 under Williams, rather than 5 and 2.

Affirmative. KC, Houston, Baltimore.

I think he gets a pass tho with the KC game as Hue was fired the week of preparation for the Chiefs.

Legend
Legend
J/c

And that KC game was a TOUGH one too start with lol ... I think Gw did a very good job righting the ship ... just not sure he was the long term captain

Legend
Legend

Nathan Zegura breaks down day 10 of 2019 Training Camp including wide receiver Derrick Willies' one-handed touchdown catch.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns training camp offensive report: Freddie Kitchens wants players to start stringing together good days
Today 4:27 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...-good-days.html

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio -- We’ve reached the point of training camp where things start to get real. There’s a game on Thursday night, a job interview as head coach Freddie Kitchens called it, for the Browns and for other teams.

The biggest battles are on the offensive side of the ball, at right guard and for those last couple spots on the wide receiver depth chart. The nature of covering training camp requires a snap judgment on a near-daily basis, but Kitchens used a phrase that often gets uttered around this time of year, “string together days.”

There was the response to Eric Kush getting the reps at right guard again.

“We’ll see if he can string some days together, Kitchens said.

There was his answer about Jaelen Strong coming on over the last few practices.

“He’s strung together a couple days,” Kitchens said. “We’ll see if it continues.”

You don’t win a job with one good play or one good practice. You win jobs by putting together day after day.

“The point of all this is, we have to string together days, we have to string together games, but right now we’re just interested in tomorrow,” Kitchens said, “and that’s how you do that, you stay in the moment, you go on the practice field, you string together a good day and good days happen by taking good reps and then, before you know it, you’ve strung together three or four good days.”

Stringing together days. That’s what camp’s about.

Here are some more offensive observations from Monday:

* This was one of those days where standing on the sideline watching Baker Mayfield throw was something special. His arm was live and the ball was zipping. There were throws the receiver couldn’t help but catch. It helped liven up an otherwise mundane practice.

* Mayfield’s two negative plays: an interception by cornerback Greedy Williams, but Willies got a talking to after that play. It’s fair to wonder if it was on the receiver.

Cornerback Terrance Mitchell almost pick-sixed him, jumping in front of Jaelen Strong.

* Even with some of the incredible throws, there were plays a few receivers will want back. Willies had the ball ripped out by Williams on a laser from Mayfield. He had a drop in the red zone. Running back Dontrell Hilliard put one on the ground and Nick Chubb, who has been reliable catching the ball out of the backfield so far, had a drop.

* Those bad plays by Willies probably help explain his reaction after he made what might have been the best play of camp on the offensive side of the ball:

* This space serves as your regular reminder that Rashard Higgins just keeps catching the football.

* If there is a leader in the clubhouse for right guard, it appears to be Kush. Kitchens wasn’t willing to say as much, but Kush might be in a position to grab hold of the job.

* An interesting connection seems to have developed on the second team: Drew Stanton looked D.J. Montgomery’s way a bunch. He hit him twice in the back corner of the endzone twice during a red zone period and put another one right on the money to him that Montgomery was unable to hang onto.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/c

Jaelen Strong has had a few good days here. Pending his ST’s ability, he’s someone to watch for now

Legend
Legend
The #6 WR has to be a guy they feel can develop long term, because barring injury, he isn't going to be active on game-days.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Freddie Kitchens addresses the media following the 10th day of Brown's training camp on August 5th, 2019. He discusses the comments made by former Brown's offensive line coach Bob Wylie. He also speaks about the important role the run game will have in the offense as well as the benefits and consequences that come with having a more physical training camp than years prior.

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was not saying that it wasn't a tough game to start with or the circumstances were less than ideal, but the record books say we went 5 and 3 after the firing of Hue and Haley.

I noticed hitt said we were 5 and 2 the other day in his reply to me on another thread and I let it go, but a couple of other people have repeated it. They may have saw his post and repeated it? I don't know. I was just trying to be factual.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It's not the accurate record, but I can't get too wound up over not counting the Chiefs game. Facing an unbelievable offense the same week you just fired your 2 top coaches is a tough hand.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not "wound up," although you guys are starting to get me wound up. We have posters that spread lies over and over on this board and y'all don't say anything. I state a truth and you guys are trying to shoot that down?

I wasn't saying it as an insult towards Williams. I was simply clarifying what the actual record was.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Whatev.

5-3 felt a lot better than 3-1-36.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not to be a jerk, but we were 3-36-1. wink

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol! Canadian math.

Imagine tying games that often in the NFL.

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Plus, you had already corrected us on the record under GW... that's funny! Made my day....

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
3-36-1.

Good god. I REALLY wanted Hue to be the guy. I was excited with his hire and I defended him due to not having talent, stripping it to its studs, no QB or a young QB, poor ownership, GM who was collecting assets rather than drafting or getting them at FA etc. I then became a Hue apologist saying he was being made a scapegoat for others poor handling of their jobs. BUT, the rapid turn around, Baker's numbers from week 8, the Oline changes and how they protected their QB etc. opened my eyes that we were conned. The ONLY good thing I can say about those awful 2.5 years is we got MG, BM and a core nucleus of other significant players in the draft and via trades/FA due to the cap space Dorsey inherited and his ability to evaluate and hire damn good talent scouts.

Forward we march.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Not to be a jerk, but we were 3-36-1. wink

I thought his # might have been military, kind of like their dates.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am wondering if I should start another Sashi thread, but this time make it a Discuss Sashi/Hue thread? I stayed off of the previous thread except for the first and last post, but it was cool having people fight on that thread instead of cluttering up threads like the 2019 Browns Training Camp threads w/the same old BS.

Refs, can we keep it in the Pure Football Forum this time? LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Freddie Kitchens addresses the media following the 10th day of Brown's training camp on August 5th, 2019. He discusses the comments made by former Brown's offensive line coach Bob Wylie. He also speaks about the important role the run game will have in the offense as well as the benefits and consequences that come with having a more physical training camp than years prior.

This is one smart, classy, no-nonsense man. I think we may have a head coach.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I didn't say you were. I said that I'm not.

I'm saying that I can understand if someone gives that interim coaching staff a pass on the Chiefs game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard