Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Jc

Man, our DL gets two days off ... hopefully that’s deserved haha

But Kush is no doubt a good pass pro OG ... run blocking is his issue IIRC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/fresh-takes-observations-from-day-11-of-browns-training-camp

Fresh Takes: Observations from Day 11 of Browns training camp
Shook-Nick-square-051619
Nick Shook
STAFF WRITER

Rain finally arrived Tuesday, but not before the Browns were able to squeeze in their 11th practice of training camp.

While the grass drinks in the much-needed water, we're reflecting on another hot practice in Berea. Here are our observations from Day 11 of #BrownsCamp.

1. Oh, Odell

Andrew Gribble
✔
@Andrew_Gribble
It’s been a very good Odell day.

11:56 AM - Aug 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Andrew Gribble's other Tweets
RELATED LINKS
News & Notes: Garrett Gilbert, David Blough have chance to impress starting Thursday vs. Redskins
#BrownsCamp Daily: Why next week's joint practices matter for Thursday's preseason opener
Freddie Kitchens talks Nick Chubb, Garrett Gilbert and more - Press Conference
Assistant coach press conferences - WRs coach Adam Henry, pass game coordinator Joe Whitt
#BrownsCamp Daily: Freddie Kitchens still wants to see more from competitors at right guard
Fresh Takes: Observations from Day 10 of Browns training camp
Yes, it was.

He hauled in touchdowns in an efficient red-zone period. He made highlight grabs downfield. And he, predictably, caught everything in between. A day after Odell Beckham Jr. spent the practice completely out of sight due to illness, he showed us many glimpses of how he can be the catalyst to Cleveland's offense.

Beckham's presence makes the unit significantly more dangerous, and coaches spent Tuesday tinkering with how lethal it could be. Beckham lined up all over the field, getting reps outside and in the slot and finding success from all locations.

The headaches for opposing defenses are easy to envision. And the benefits reaped by Jarvis Landry and other targets could seem endless.

“Each and every day it is getting better and better," receivers coach Adam Henry said about Beckham's and Landry's development within Cleveland's offense. "You saw today they strung together a good day. There are going to be ebbs and flows, and you stay with it.”

Staying with this offense will be worth your time.

2. It's Kush, again
Eric Kush got the start at right guard with the first team on Monday, which would mean Tuesday would be Austin Corbett's day if the rotation stayed true to form. But it didn't.

Kush ran with the first team again Tuesday, officially breaking the rotation. There is an important aside, though: Kyle Kalis, also part of the rotation, left practice after suffering what Freddie Kitchens said he thought was a stinger during individual work early in the session. As a result, Corbett played second- and third-team center (Kalis usually mans the latter) and Bryan Witzmann played second-team right guard.

All the while, Kush filled the starting right guard. Unsurprisingly, he did a solid job.

"We like Kush, that's why he's here," Kitchens said afterward. "But again, he needs to string together days, good days, consistent days. I don't mind not being the best at anything. I just want to know what we're getting when we go out there on that field.

"We judge off what we've seen ... and that's a fluid situation."

The team hasn't yet played a preseason game, so it is a little too early to start making declarations. But it's clear from the last few days that Kush has a nose in the race, if he isn't in the lead entirely. His veteran presence pairs well with his stout blocking in the run and pass games, and with what Kitchens wants in his players: toughness.

Training Camp Photos: Best shots from Day 11
Check out photos from the eleventh day of Browns Camp by team photographer Matt Starkey

3. Moments of adversity
Kitchens has said repeatedly that he plans to put his players in moments of adversity to test their resilience. On Tuesday, Kitchens swung the practice completely off script, shifting to the second field and forcing his offense to move the ball from their own 1-yard line. The results were mixed.

David Njoku dropped a pass that would've bought the offense a little breathing room, and two plays later, Jermaine Whitehead read a run fake perfectly, leapt at the line and intercepted a short pass on the goal line, needing just one step to get into the end zone for the shortest pick-six one will ever see.

This didn't produce the best results, but it did test the group, and helped reveal where they need to improve. The period also came after Kitchens stopped practice to bring his team together before an earlier 11-on-11 period, which arrived while players were having a less-than-stellar day on the field.

"We recognized a problem last night," Kitchens explained about the huddle. "I wanted to remind them of the problem that we had in yesterday's practice. And that's part of the learning process: Recognizing when something is starting to slide and putting a stop to it.

"I want to see us come back from the downs, and I think we did that at times today. Again, it's all a learning process."

4. Mack Wilson just won't go away
It was another day and another key defensive play from Mack Wilson.

Tuesday saw Wilson showing more and more comfort with his role within the Browns defense. The rookie has been in the right place at the right time more often than not, which proved to be valuable in a late ball-moving period.

Wilson undercut a throw intended for Landry, who was running a quick out, and the linebacker didn't look back, taking the interception back for a touchdown. Beckham comically chased Wilson all the way to the 5-yard line before slowing up to allow Wilson into the end zone for his latest impact play in a camp that is starting to be full of them.

"I think some of these guys come out of school and there's a couple different phases when they're swimming here," Kitchens said afterward. ... "It's a process for those guys. ... I've been very pleased with Mack, but we need to keep stringing days together."

Friday was an eye-opener, Saturday was a pat on the back and Tuesday was confirmation that Wilson's natural ability might just help him transition to the pro game faster than most. He sure doesn't seem to be slowing down.

5. "Creating depth"
We've spent a good amount of this space talking about the standout play from Derrick Willies and lately, Jaelen Strong. Both are seeing first-team reps, and not just when Beckham and Landry aren't playing. Now they're lining up alongside the stars.

"We are just doing a bunch of combinations right now and trying to create some depth there running with the ones," receivers coach Adam Henry said of Strong's recent play. "That is what we are doing. Day by day, moving guys around.”

Notably absent from these rotations on most days is presumed contender for the Nos. 3 or 4 receiver position Antonio Callaway. He's spent most of his time moving around with the second-team and is getting plenty of targets as a result. Henry explained that's by design, in order to make the overall receiver group stronger from top to bottom.

To Callaway's credit, he's made a good number of plays. He's also expected to contribute alongside Beckham and Landry, meaning ideally, he won't be catching passes from Drew Stanton on Sundays. It would make sense, then, for him to see more reps with Mayfield in order to keep building their rapport.

Henry didn't give this idea much clout, instead elaborating on how total reps is more important at this point.

"That is just creating depth," Henry said of Callaway's usage. "You want to see guys with the depth of the receiver group moving along. There are going to be times where now he is just getting a lot of the two reps, but it is a lot of reps. Just getting the reps and the communication of it. I am not worried about Callaway. He will be fine."

As he heads toward a contributing role alongside a group of scrappy targets in Rashard Higgins, Willies, Strong and Ishmael Hyman, Callaway could have a golden opportunity ahead of him. After all, it isn't every day one gets the chance to play alongside Beckham and Landry on an NFL Sunday.

"That's huge. No. 3, that's his time to go and take advantage of what they give you," Henry said. ... "Those are the things that we're coaching day to day with the details of it so they're on the page with Baker because that's a critical position right there."

Critical, indeed. We'll see who fills the role come September.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Lot's of interceptions in this camp.

tongue

Legend
Legend
J/c

Mack Wilson has had a few good days in a row. Seems like he’s very good in space and as a passing down LB. Should be interesting to see him this preseason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Steals of the draft (so far): Greedy & Wilson. I figured they'd go 1st & 3rd round respectively. Dorsey snatched up real talent here at bargain basement pricing, IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Have you seen practices? I’m curious how Greedy has looked .. only read a few random tidbits

E
Legend
Legend
E
I find that pretty confusing cause all I read is that the players are IN AND OUT a lot so that makes it hard to string things together for a good days.

That also might be our strategy to remain healthy and only get a few nicks here and thee...especially for that starting Defense.
Cannot wait to see them together.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've only been to the Orange & Brown scrimmage, but I did see Wilson snatch an interception and run it back. Greedy was active as well, saw him in tight coverage break up a pass. Mostly, I'm probably seeing and reading what you are.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Have you seen practices? I’m curious how Greedy has looked .. only read a few random tidbits

When I was at camp Greedy was in and out with both the 1s and 2s. He was one of the players who had less rest than others. He also stayed back and took some reps w/one of the back-up QBs (#3) and Montgomery.

I think it's safe to say we keep Ward/Greedy/Mitchell/Carrie/Burnett/Randall w/ 5 out at once in some packages. Mitchell/Carrie in nickel?

Edit: spelling on Carrie's name.

Last edited by PDXBrownsFan; 08/07/19 10:38 AM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
I find that pretty confusing cause all I read is that the players are IN AND OUT a lot so that makes it hard to string things together for a good days.

That also might be our strategy to remain healthy and only get a few nicks here and thee...especially for that starting Defense.
Cannot wait to see them together.

This is definitely the case at both TC and the O&B scrimmage. I was excited about the scrimmage as I expected it to flow more like a 2 hand touch game. I was on the 50yd line and sat higher up in that section hoping to watch plays unfold, but it too was stop start w/rotational players coming in and out. Scrimmage was pretty similar to what I saw at TC, just a bigger venue. Baker would lead the 1s in a set of exercises then Stanton and the 2s would come out against 2nd team D and then the other 2 QBs would come in and out w/other rotational players. The only time it actually had some flow was in the 2 min/hurry up drills.

Legend
Legend
Okay thanks! Ive read good things on Wilson too
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I've only been to the Orange & Brown scrimmage, but I did see Wilson snatch an interception and run it back. Greedy was active as well, saw him in tight coverage break up a pass. Mostly, I'm probably seeing and reading what you are.

Legend
Legend
Thanks PDX ... I like the fact that they’re probably moving him around to get him accustomed to playing everywhere

Legend
Legend
5 things I've learned from Browns camp
By: Jeff Risdon

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/07/5-things-ive-learned-from-browns-camp/

Cleveland Browns training camp rolls into day 12, just one more practice session before the preseason opener with the Washington Redskins. I’ve been at four of the practices and talked extensively with other daily observers.

Here are the top five things I’ve learned over the training camp sessions thus far:

Baker Mayfield drives the team hard
It’s obvious to anyone in Berea who watches even one segment of team drills: Baker Mayfield does not let mistakes go uncorrected.

If Odell Beckham Jr. isn’t where and when Mayfield expected him to be on a route, the second-year QB is going to let him know and hash it out. The same is true of a running back missing a pass protection assignment, as Dontrell Hilliard found out Monday. Often loudly and sometimes profanely, Mayfield’s style is to attack the mistakes right away in an effort to fix them.

That includes his own errors, by the way. It’s a regular sight to see Mayfield mentally reliving the last rep when he makes a mistake, such as the pick-6 he threw to Jermaine Whitehead on Tuesday in the shadow of his own goalpost. There is nothing stoic about him. He wants to be great and he expects that of his teammates as well as himself.

This is not a negative. Too many players and coaches in the Browns past have been too complacent, too tolerant of mediocrity (or worse). Mayfield will not let teammates off the hook. Accountability is evident in Berea, and it starts with No. 6.

Kicking remains a big problem
Greg Joseph has outplayed Austin Seibert in the placekicking battle, but it’s an uninspiring win. And for a team that lost two games last year directly because of poor kicking, that’s not good enough.

Seibert has been a huge disappointment. The fifth-round pick missed more FG attempts than he made through the first five days of practice. Joseph continues to bang kicks through, but they seldom are of the no-doubt variety — just like last year’s 17-for-20 showing in his rookie season.

Tuesday saw Seibert catch up a little as Joseph struggled in the mid-practice competition. It’s worth noting that Seibert’s miss was wildly wide left, while Joseph’s misses were both close shaves.

Scott Petrak ct
@ScottPetrak
#Browns kicking competition: Austin Seibert 4-for-5, WL from 45. Greg Joseph 3-for-5, WL from 33 and 50

Seibert is demonstrably better in kickoff drills, both on distance and directional “splash” kicks. That should be a tie-breaker and not a deal-maker. It’s hard to feel confident in either option right now.

The depth at wide receiver is truly impressive
Adding Odell Beckham Jr. to a lineup that already featured Pro Bowler Jarvis Landry figured to raise the level of talent and depth in the Browns’ WR room.

What has been unexpected is the emergence of guys like Derrick Willies and Jaelen Strong. Both have taken first-team reps at times and not looked out of place. They’re obviously not Beckham or Landry, but bring their own qualities which work for them.

The battle for the final one or two roster spots at WR is intense. With Beckham, Landry and Rashard Higgins set as the top threesome, it leaves Strong, Willies, Antonio Callaway and perhaps Damion Ratley (currently sidelined with injury) jockeying for position and status.

Here’s the good part: Strong and Willies as a combination has been better in camp than the top twosome of two years ago, Corey Coleman and Kenny Britt. And they’re likely No. 5 and 6 on this year’s Browns, not starters. Having good QB play certainly helps, but there is legit depth of talent in Cleveland at WR.

Less worry about offensive tackle
Heading into training camp, my biggest worry on the entire team was offensive tackle. After watching starters Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard, I feel a lot better about the starting group.

Hubbard looks much more comfortable and capable in his second season as the team’s right tackle. When he’s faced off against Myles Garrett and newcomer Olivier Vernon, he’s held his own and shown the ability to recover from an initial defeat. He’s shown more power and grit in run blocking, too.

Robinson continues to amaze with his technical progress on the left side. The guy who stepped up late last season with his career on the line has not rested on his laurels, thankfully. Robinson’s footwork and balance have improved. He’s still just an average run blocker on his best day, but the Browns are paying him to keep Mayfield comfortable.

The depth behind them looks abysmal, so it’s imperative Hubbard and Robinson stay healthy and on top of their games.

Steve Wilks was a great choice as the defensive coordinator
Freddie Kitchens as a rookie coach appears to be swimming through the rough currents of high expectations, loud external noise and the rigamarole of the daily tasks of his new gig. It sure feels like Steve Wilks is helping him.

Wilks went through being a head coach for the first time a year ago. It did not go well for him in Arizona, for reasons both in and (mostly) out of his control. That experience serves him well as a consigliere to Kitchens.

As far as his defense goes, Wilks has shown creativity and adaptability. The new scheme will look foreign to anyone expecting Gregg Williams redux. There are going to be a lot of wrinkles and formations that will keep the offenses guessing and off-balance. It’s too early to know if it will work, of course, but I’ve been impressed with how Wilks has handled the defense thus far.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Nice read, thanks.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Some interesting tidbits in there.

Legend
Legend
J/c

Nice run down ... the depth at WR truly is a 180 from what we had ... I just remember the YEARS of crap at that position

Legend
Legend

One thing I heard on the radio was from Joe Thomas. He felt Kush has outplayed Corbett.

That is not what I wanted to hear. Kush has been a survivor in this league. Far from a real talent. He played an increased role last year but he has never been a real starter.

It was made clear to Corbett this is yours to lose.

So not a real good development. Kush may work out fine. But this is a position that there maybe players picked up come cuts around the league. Or, a possible trade.

Freddie is looking for someone to take control. He wants a solution.

Corbett knows this the real deal right now and he better show something.

Legend
Legend
Interesting for JT to come out and say that ... Kush, like you said, it’s a journey man. I remember him in Chicago and LA ... just a good worker/tough guy type

R
Legend
Legend
R
The offensive line, once a strength of the team, is a bit in shambles at the moment.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The offensive line, once a strength of the team, is a bit in shambles at the moment.

I wouldn't say shambles. But I would agree that it has been become one of our bigger question marks. I think our biggest question mark is K. I may get some disagreement on this next one but I think Lb is second and oline 3rd.

I don't include depth as a question mark because every team has depth issues and the untimely injury to the wrong player could be disaster - for any team.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Interesting for JT to come out and say that ... Kush, like you said, it’s a journey man. I remember him in Chicago and LA ... just a good worker/tough guy type

Keep in mind we still are in the shorts in regards to OL. Kush's technique is much better than the other candidates.

It is what will happen when the real football is being played. can't wait for the 3rd preseason game where these OL will finally get a goood work out. Where Technique without power will get overwhelmed. I want Nasty and strong Technique can be learned. Is Corbett that Nasty strong kid??? or is he memorex. I was not onboard with the pick from day one...Oh well hope I'm wrong but so far doesn't look like it. Ok one bad pick in two years...smh but at #33 overall for OG the kid should have been a BEAST.

Good News - RG is probably on of the most available positions out there. We can solve it from FA but hopefully a stud will land in our pockets. we will see who we steal and put on our Practice squad after the cuts!

Hey maybe we can work out a deal for LAVA man unless he is hurt again. jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I hope the RG situation gets worked out. The RG is the most important blocker in the running game.

Legend
Legend
That’s what i’ve Gathered too ... it’s why I was a bit wary to lose zeitler
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I hope the RG situation gets worked out. The RG is the most important blocker in the running game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

No kidding.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

Getting Avery and Harris back on the field is a big deal, they both will be used a ton this year if healthy.

Legend
Legend
Good news on the injury front today then

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yikes. Never a good picture to see.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Good grief.

Waiting for more news. Hopefully get it on my phone pretty soon.

Hoping for the best.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Looks like it just happened. It might be late in the day.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hope he's okay. We at least know he can move his arms.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Hope he's okay. We at least know he can move his arms.

Sorry to see, kid needs a break - hoping all is well frown

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Best case scenario I was hoping it was a stinger.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I really wish the NFL would put aside it's greed and eliminate preseason games and shorten training camp. Too many injuries occur during this time period.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hope it's true and they're just being cautious

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Related to my above post is this from SF HC Kyle Shanahan:

Quote:
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan wants to reduce or eliminate preseason games

By Matt Maiocco August 09, 2019 10:20 AM

Very few men who will be members of the San Francisco 49ers will take the field for the team on Saturday night in the exhibition opener at Levi’s Stadium.

It’s preseason game No. 1, and the only significant things that could occur are negative in nature. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who has not missed a practice this summer after returning from ACL surgery that cut short his 2018 season, will be among a large group of 49ers players who will not see any game action. Some will get the night off as a precaution. Others will sit out due to injuries.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said his preference is to see the NFL’s exhibition season get reduced -- or eliminated altogether.

“You absolutely don’t need four preseason games,” Shanahan said. “I’d rather have zero than four.
Preferably, I’d like two. One to evaluate the people trying to make the team and then just one to knock a little rust off.”

The 49ers have gone through 11 training camp practices, during which time the coaching staff and personnel department had ample opportunity to size up the team’s 90-man roster. Next week, the 49ers will have their biggest two days of camp when they have a practice against the Denver Broncos in Englewood, Colo.

In comparing the importance of those two joint practices against the exhibition games, Shanahan said he places a lot more value in the practices.

“A ton more value,” he said after concluding a two-hour practice in Santa Clara on Thursday. “I put more value into what we did today.”

Shanahan experienced a rough week at practice with rookie defensive end Nick Bosa and cornerback Jason Verrett narrowly avoiding disastrous ankle injuries. Both players are out for the remainder of the exhibition season. The club hopes both will be available for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Shanahan was not happy with Wednesday’s practice, which he considered sloppy because too many players were knocked to the ground, leading to injuries. But he also realizes there is a greater risk of injury in such a highly competitive environment with jobs on the line.

“You keep showing guys you want guys to compete, you want guys to do things, but you’ve got to really not let it get carried away, because when guys are trying to make the team, they’re trying to compete,” Shanahan said.
“If they’re not in a position to thud someone up and be square on someone or not bring their legs with them, it’s not worth it. You can prove that some other time, but it’s not worth proving it in practice.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/...preseason-games

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think doing away with some or all preseason games would significantly hurt the roster bubble guys and the teams that are trying to turn over or develop their rosters.

Those bubble guys are looking for any opportunity to show what they've got... and not only to their teams but other teams as well. Remember Crowell's first TC. We basically didn't see him at all until that 4th game, where he went off. What would've happened with him if not for that game?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm confused...did this happen in the preseason game or practice???

Also any news on exactly how this happened was it a drill? That possibly could be eliminated in the future or just one of those things.

Injuries are going to happen in football - you just hope its not of the - HE IS DONE Variety.

I was amazed at the lack of injuries in Semi Pro...I know the speed is not the same but Ankles and some knees were the biggest issues. Concussion protocols were none existent and were relied heavily on the players.

But I think the preseason games are essential for the bottom of the roster. Coaches have to deal with it properly. I loved how Kitchens adjusted with the one going in a 2 minute drill. That actually eliminated a lot of injury opportunities if you ask me.

But these guys at the bottom of the depth charts its there one way to get opportunities and hook up with the team or get looked at by another. It would be a shame to eliminate those opportunities.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2019 Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard